Theme: Yeah, there's an app for that. - Find the four embedded apps.
16A. Recycled sheets for scribbling : SCRAP PAPER
23A. End-of-filming cast event : WRAP PARTY
45A. Toy gun loaded with rolls : CAP PISTOL
54A. Scrubbing brand with two periods in its name : S.O.S SOAP PAD
35D. Supplier of software hidden in 16-, 23-, 45- and 54-Across : APP STORE
Argyle here. Tricky to make sure there wasn't any inadvertent apps. Solid corners and nifty columns.
1. Like many bar brews : ON TAP
6. 2013 World Series champs, familiarly : SOX. Boston Red Sox in six against St. Louis Cardinals.
9. PC problem solver : TECH. Good guy to know but hopefully not on a first name basis.
13. Garlicky sauce : AIOLI. The mayo with attitude.
14. Stinky Le Pew : PEPÉ
15. Storybook baddie : OGRE
18. Senior's big dance : PROM. We only had a Junior Prom.
19. Rain heavily : TEEM
20. Dry as the Gobi : ARID. Large desert region in Asia.
21. Perfect spots : EDENs
22. Org. headed by the U.S. Comptroller General : GAO. (Government Accountability Office) Gene L. Dodaro is the Comptroller General.
25. "Alley __" : OOP. Being in quotes means this is the comic or song and not the basketball pass. (alley-oop)
26. Under lock and __ : KEY
27. Pervasive glow : AURA
28. Used a rotary phone : DIALED. Who still has one?
30. Fried rice ingredient : EGG
31. Spider's trap : WEB
34. Scandal-ridden Texas-based corporation : ENRON
35. Pirate's "yes" : "AYE"
36. Odometer button : RESET
38. Fast sports cars : GTs. Mine is only a ST, Sport Touring? GT stands for Grand Touring.
39. "Great" primate : APE
40. Skiing coats : PARKAs
41. Rain delay rollout : TARP
43. Pick up the tab : PAY
44. Tattoos, slangily : INK
48. Morning hrs. : AMs
49. Plane handler : PILOT
50. Stun with a police gun : TASE
51. Shopping bag : TOTE
53. Admit frankly : AVOW
56. Christmas candle scent : PINE. Put away for the year.
57. Works in un museo : ARTE. España.
58. With glee : GAILY
59. Serving whiz : ACER. Would have been good to be clued as computer maker today.
60. Golfer's smallest wood? : TEE
61. Tough journeys : TREKS
1. Brewer's oven : OAST. It's been awhile since I first posted this. Oast House Interactive.
2. "Good job!" : "NICE GOING!"
3. Ripped to shreds : TORE APART
4. Shrine to remember : ALAMO
5. Dot on a domino : PIP
6. Old-timey photo hue : SEPIA
7. Spot with regular and guest columnists : OP-ED PAGE
8. Gen-__: millennial preceder : Xer. I feel Millennial should be capitalized as it refers to the next generation.
9. First-rate : TOP DRAWER
10. Long-legged wader : EGRET
11. Chum : CRONY
12. Tailoring borders : HEMS
14. Fencing defense : PARRY
17. Poked at like a cat : PAWED
21. Lobed organ : EAR
24. Wrinkly little dog : PUG
25. Keats' "__ on Melancholy" : ODE
26. Historical novelist Follett : KEN. A gimme for a lot of you.
29. Suffered a blackout : LOST POWER
30. Cyclone center : EYE
32. Ice cream treat : ESKIMO PIE. 52D. "Grand" ice cream maker : EDY'S
33. Jack's access : BEANSTALK
36. Bit of sunlight : RAY
37. Pooh-pooher's sound : [TSK!]
39. Tycoon Onassis : ARI
40. Prefix with -lithic : PALEO. Paleo- A prefix that means "prehistoric" (as in paleontology) or "early or primitive" (as in Paleolithic).
42. On point : APT
43. Hustlers chasing rustlers : POSSE. "Cut 'em off at the pass!"
45. Word with duty or pride : CIVIC
46. Like a hermit : ALONE
47. Personal shopper's asset : TASTE
48. For the bond-issue price : AT PAR
49. Bearded Smurf : PAPA
54. Went unused : SAT
55. TSA employee : AGT. A shout-out to Dennis.
Note from C.C.:
Happy Birthday to dear JD, who joined the blog a few months after I started it. Over the past few years, JD has kindly shared with us many adorable pictures of her grandsons. Click here for more.
|Left to Right: Cameron, Truman, Grady, JD & Dylan|