google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday November 4, 2019 Matt Skoczen

Advertisements

Nov 4, 2019

Monday November 4, 2019 Matt Skoczen

Theme: KEWPIE (48D. Collectible doll, and a phonetic hint to four long puzzle answers) - Each theme entry is in the pattern of Q* P*:

17A. Market report detail: QUOTED PRICE.

58A. 2:15 p.m., e.g.: QUARTER PAST.

11D. "Shh!": QUIET PLEASE.

25D. "The $64,000 Question," e.g.: QUIZ PROGRAM.

Boomer here. I suggest you use a Quality Pencil rather than a Quill Pen. How about them Nationals? I cannot believe we witnessed the first 7 game World Series where all games were won by the visiting team. And ... The last time a Washington team won a World Series, Calvin Coolidge was president. 

Across:

1. Meh: SO SO.

5. Rubs out a mistake: ERASES.  I wish a ten pin could be rubbed out.

11. Four times daily, in an Rx: QID.  This stands for quater in die.  Latin always invades pharmacy.

14. Isaac's eldest son: ESAU. Sorry but the history of these twins, Jacob and Esau is like a soap opera "Days of our Lives".

15. "Scooby-Doo" friend of Velma, Fred and Shaggy: DAPHNE.

16. Former Egypt-Syria confed.: UAR. United Arab Republic.

19. Texter's "I think": IMO.  In my opinion, this is not a word. More like something the emu says in the Liberty Mutual commercials.

20. Genetic messengers: RNAS.  Quite a few acronyms in this puzz.

21. Give, as a citation: ISSUE TO.  My last one was for speeding in 1992.  I hate fines.

23. Southwestern native that rhymes with 53-Down: YAQUI. 53D. Here, in Spanish: AQUI.


26. Breakfast grain: OAT. Cheerios entered the world as "Cheerioats" in 1941. The name was changed to Cheerios after the big war.  No I was not around then, but we live 10 miles north of General Mills Headquarters, and I bowl with a General Mills retiree.

28. Word on an octagonal sign: STOP.  I think they are all red now, but I remember when they were yellow.  Do You?

29. Plentiful amount: ABUNDANCE.

31. Bank takebacks, briefly: REPOS.  Sad, but you really have to make your payments.

32. Home run stat: RBI.  An acronym that everyone knows.

33. "That's gross!": UGH.

34. 12th Jewish month: ELUL.

35. Wows: DAZZLES.  Reminds me of Bill Murray's "Razzle Dazzle" in "Stripes".


38. Examine for flaws: INSPECT. I cannot remember the General who was inspecting Winger's  platoon.

41. Scissors unit: PAIR.  Here we go again to start another argument.  How come scissors and pliers are called "pairs" when there is only one of them ?

42. Single: ONE.  Our Rod Carew was famous for singles.

43. French friend: AMI.

44. Harsh-smelling: ACRID.

46. Babe __ Zaharias, multi-sport athlete with two Olympic golds (1932) and 10 LPGA major championships: DIDRIKSON.  This lady was the Annika of the thirties.


49. Not good at all: POOR.  "Blessed are the POOR in spirit, for they shall inherit the earth."  I'm not sure they would want it.

50. Yale student: ELI.  No kidding, I thought he was a Manning brother.

51. Davis of "A League of Their Own": GEENA.  This movie was great.  Kind of the "Bull Durham" of female baseball.


52. Beauty contest: PAGEANT.

55. Cornfield bird: CROW.

57. Say "Oopsie," say: ERR.  So when I miss a ten pin, should I say "Oopsie" ?

63. __ rule: usually: AS A.  ASA Hutchinson is governor of Arkansas.  Not related to my Great Great Grandfather, Asa Hutchinson of the Hutchinson Family singers who founded Hutchinson, Minnesota about 150 years ago.

64. Part of 16-Across: UNITED.  Pardon the pun, but United is "up in the air" about replacing their fleet of 757s with the newer 737 MAX which are currently on the ground.

65. "All good here": I'M OK.

66. Sleep acronym: REM.

67. Requiring help: IN NEED.  A Friend IN NEED is a friend indeed.

68. Canadian gas: ESSO.  Fill er up eh

Down:

1. Follow-up film: Abbr.: SEQ.  "Stripes" and "Bull Durham" were sooo good that they did not need a sequel.

2. Sch. in Columbus: OSU.  Ohio State has been a Big Ten powerhouse. Gophers are challenging but chances are slim. 

3. __ Paulo: SAO.

4. Beat in a meet: OUTRUN.  Gophers need to OUTRUN Penn State this Saturday to have a chance.

5. Icelandic literary work: EDDA.


6. Drake musical numbers: RAP SONGS.  Not me.  I like Folk and Country.

7. Mo. with showers: APR. Brings May flowers.  Except in 2018, Minnesota's "April Showers" were 20 inches of snow. 

8. Certain Muslim: SHIITE.  Careful how you pronounce this.

9. SASEs, e.g.: ENCS.

10. Observes: SEES.  I remember a teacher in 4th grade used to ask the class "How many sees?"

12. "Me, also": I AM TOO.  A young child may say this after their second birthday. They haven't picked up spelling yet.

13. Hangs limply: DROOPS.

18. City west of Tulsa: ENID.  "OOHHHKLAHOMA where the wind comes sweeping down the plains."

22. Exhaust: USE UP.  If you USE UP the toilet paper please set up a new roll.

23. Three feet: YARD.  Our YARD is finally fairly free of leaves.

24. Swedish pop band: ABBA.

27. German gripe: ACH.  This is an acronym for automated clearing house.  I use it to automatically pay monthly bills.  No wonder the German's gripe about it. 

30. Heifetz's teacher: AUER.


31. Mr. Hyde creator's monogram: RLS.  Forgot to mention Jekyll.

34. Fed. power dept.: ENER.  We get decent service from XCEL energy.  However I recently learned that our electric bill may increase by $10.00 monthly while they develop wind power and various other forms of eco-friendly power. I expect that will result in business for Graybar so I'll pay the $awbuck and wait for a dividend.

36. The Congo, formerly: ZAIRE.

37. Thing on top of things: LID.

38. One charged with a crime: INDICTEE.

39. "Follow me!": C'MON.  I know I've mentioned it, but I still remember a nice stay at the C'mon Inn in Billings, MT.

40. Funny Fey: TINA. She did the best Sarah Palin I ever saw on SNL.

42. Frying liquid: OIL.  I try not to use much.  Makes the food heavy.

44. Materialize: APPEAR.  "I am the great and powerful Wizard of Oz"


45. Needing smoothing: COARSE.  Not to be confused with a golf COURSE which could also need smoothing, especially on the greens.

46. Keep in custody: DETAIN.

47. "Young Frankenstein" helper: IGOR.  I did not see any trick-or- treaters in IGOR costumes last week.

54. Ex-Georgia senator Sam: NUNN.  Served 6 terms (24 years).  Retired in 1996.  A Democrat from Georgia and still living.  Probably glad to be out of the Senate rat race.


56. Comedian Foxx: REDD. Fred Sanford on TV. But on a recording - His horse race bit was hilarious but I cannot repeat most of it here. "There goes bubble gum sticking to the rail"  That's all I can repeat.

59. 66, notably: Abbr.: RTE.  My older sister loved "Route 66" on TV.  I think she had a crush on Martin Milner.

60. Morning hrs.: AMS.  Did all of you turn your clocks back an hour yesterday at two AM ??

61. "Help!" at sea: SOS.  ... --- ...

62. Boxing ref's decision: TKO.  At last - The final acronym. 

Boomer


33 comments:

OwenKL said...

FIWrong -- on a Monday! Oh, the shame! Misspelt both crosses, so didn't notice either was wrong -- DIDRIcSON + cEWPIE, which started out as QUEPIE > CUEPIE > CEWPIE.
Easy theme with a clever reveal anyway.

ESAU would USE UP his ESSO
Trying to get his ship to go.
He sent an S.O.S.
To order high-test,
But it still only did SO-SO.

DAPHNE is blessed with ABUNDANT luck
When traveling in the Scooby truck!
The cartoon honey
Is no Bugs Bunny --
When in peril, Fred shouts, "Daphne, duck!"

{B+, A-.}

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR and no erasures. LOTS of unknowns - DAPHNE, YAQUI, ELUL, DIDRIKSON, QID, and AUER. If Heifetz's lesson only lasted 50 minutes, would it have been a Carnegie AUER?

Mad did a parody of Goodbye Columbus called Hoo Boy Columbus. Remember that, Preppy?

Do RAP and MUSIC belong in the same fill?

Thanks for the fun, quick puzzle, Matt. The V8 cans came tumbling down when I finally got LID for "thing on top of things". And thanks to Boomer for all the fun. How appropriate that you had a bowl with the guy from General Mills. I remember seeing yellow stop signs at my grandmother's town (steam locomotives, too). And the stop light had only two bulbs. North/south was red on top and green on the bottom, and east/west was green on top, red on the bottom. Both bulbs lit meant the same as modern yellow lights. Finally, I agree about the number of scissors and pliers. At least "bra" is singular.

Boomer said...

My bad. Sam Nunn served only 4 terms.

TTP said...

Make it 3 for 8. Didn't comment yesterday. Didn't know the Rwandan capital and couldn't dredge up the French word EGAL.

As for today, I hit the I key rather than the U when typing USE UP. Never noticed.

Watched an episode of Pawn Stars the other day and a man brought in a collection of KEWPI dolls.
Kewpie Doll Collection | Pawn Stars

Hey Boomer ! That was a World Series for the ages. The team with the best record in baseball gets taken down by the team that the pundits wrote off by the end of May. I think I read that the Nats had the best record in baseball from June to the end.

"There's no cryin' in baseball."

Apparently there's no Krispy Kremes in Minnesota. Did you hear about the enterprising St Paul college student that was driving to Iowa to buy 100 boxes of Krispy Kremes to resell in Minnesota ? He did it 19 times before Krispy Kreme told him to stop.

The Wisconsin Badgers have nothing to cry about. They don't bother to field a baseball team. They concentrate on football, basketball and hockey.

Minnesota has a great ground game. I'll be tuned in when they play Penn State. Minnesota has a good shot at the B1G West title at 8-0, while it appears Ohio State and Penn State will be vying for the B1G East title. There are six B1G teams in the AP Top 25. Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Rumble in the Jungle country ? ZAIRE. "The Greatest" stopped Foreman. Ali was the big underdog, but used the now famous "Rope-A-Dope" to effectively neutralize the more powerful Foreman.

Boomer said...

Hello TTP. I had not heard of the Iowa connection to Krispy Kreme, however I do remember when they came to Minnesota years ago. Always a line of cars at the drive up window. Well ... not ALWAYS so they left. I admit, I never tried one of their products. I need to keep my slim petite figure, plus I have had diabetes for over 20 years. C.C. hollers at me if I sneak a cookie on my birthday. Great to hear from you ! Time to hit my Monday morning travelling league at Blainbrook Bowl.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Zipped right through this one. Noticed all the Qs but failed to notice the Ps. D-o must learn to watch his Ps and Qs. Thanx, Matt and Boomer. (I think you got your B-attitudes confused. The prize for the poor is the kingdom of Heaven. It's the meek who inherit the earth. Or as Roddy McDowell sang in Camelot, "It's not the earth the meek inherit, it's the dirt.")

ISSUE TO: Got my last traffic citation in 1982. Gotta be careful in our little town. Cops will ticket for 30 in a 25 zone.

STOP: I fondly remember the yellow stop signs. I never understood why they changed 'em. The red ones blend right into the trees for the color-challenged among us.

DIDRIKSON: There's a small museum dedicated to her on I-10 in Beaumont. Very nice.

UNITED: Must meet an incoming UNITED flight this afternoon. Lotsa chores to complete before then.

TTP said...



Alright Boomer. Put ten in the pit in every frame !

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, Matt Skoczen, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Boomer, for a fine review.

Puzzle went through easily for the most part. Caught the theme and checked it out after i finished. Made sense.

I remembered EDDA. Learned that from crosswords.

A few unknowns: DAPHNE, YAQUI, EL UL, GEENA, perps helped.

I remembered Babe DIDRIKSON Zararias. Read something about her recently. Might have been from a puzzle.

Remember Sam NUNN. He was influential.

Well, I have to go out and guard the crossing. see you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

Anonymous said...

Wrong filled in grid or am I missing something?

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

My head's spinning from Boomer's manic intro. I think he should write for SNL. Thanks for starting my day!

Had to mind my P's and Q's today. Enjoyed the theme. Glad to see Q's getting some respect. Took 4 perps to get ELUL. Otherwise, no problems in solving. Got YAQUI with the hint.
ESSO - When our DD called at St. John, N.B., our bunkers were filled by an Irving Oil tanker truck delivering #6 fuel oil. Irving is big in the Maritimes and New England.
Funny to see UGH and ACH crossing in the same puzzle.

jfromvt said...

That is the wrong filled-in grid in Boomer’s write up. I hope it’s not tomorrow’s puzzle...lol..

Nor much to say about today’s puzzle, a typical easy Monday. Wasn’t really focused on the theme...saw the Q’s but not the P’s.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Many thanks to Matt Skoczen and to Boomer. On Mondays I've decided to solve in ink so I have to move slowly and really think about each fill. Today was flawless!

I liked the QP theme and was surprised to see YAQUI. They are a little known group and live in the town of Guadalupe just south of Phoenix. Many more live in Mexico.

DIE in Latin would be pronounced dee-eh if anyone actually said it.

In crime dramas the police DETAIN an INDICTEE until he/she makes bail.

My question too, RAP SONGS?

DAZZLES reminds me of Richard Gere in the movie, Chicago, where he does the Razzle DAZZLE song and dance.

At QUARTERPAST 6 today someone called and woke me from a sound sleep to question me about my health! Grr. I blocked the number.

I really had to tread carefully on DIDRIKSON to insure the correct spelling. Luckily the perps cooperated.

d-o:
Have a safe journey!

Enjoy a lovely day, everyone!

Lucina said...

Someone needs to replace the grid under Boomer's commentary. It's not today's.

Yellowrocks said...

ACH, wunderbar Kreuzwortratsel.
I saw the the Q right away. I needed the reveal for the P which gave me PRICE and finalized the upper central block.
How are you? IMOK is good news. AMOK is bad news. IMOK now. I will go to PT this afternoon and the gym tomorrow. I missed both activities all last week.
QUID, CSO to inanehiker. I suspect we have a few pharmacists here. Is so, please ID yourselves.
No unfamiliar fill, but some took a while to dredge up.
LIU, yellow stop signs? I see that red ones did not appear until 1954, when I was in high school. I have no memory of the yellow ones.
Scissors and pliers are awkward words. You shouldn't say, "Please hand me a scissors," or"Hand me a pliers," although, informally, I often do so. (Eye) glasses is similar word. Also, binoculars.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Only Jewish month I recall as fill is "adar" so that quickly ruined a perfect puzzle. Then put quarter hour instead of "past"

Three feet is a "yard" As a b boomer I remember grade school teachers telling us the archaic English measurement system would be abandoned in favor of the modern base 10 metric system by the time we were in college. 50 years and still waiting.

"Pair" implies two of something. So a scissors unit as a pair seems strange. But reminded me of scissors etiquette. Don't run with them, tips pointed out.. but pointed in when handing them off.

Nothing to compare with that heavy one foot razor sharp bladed "guillotine" like paper cutter ominously sitting on the teachers desk.

QID.."Wake up sir, it's time for your sleeping pill."

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

There was still a Kewpie's restaurant across from our college Frat house. Food not that great. Affectionately known to all as "Pewkies"

TTP said...



C.C. and S.I.L Constance have a puzzle "When Not in Rome" today over at
.

desper-otto said...

TTP, is that a teaser?

Spitzboov said...

Ray - O @ 0902 - - In many areas of engineering endeavor, I don't see any advantage to metric. Give me acre-ft, horsepower, knots, and psi anytime. Remember, the standard rail gauge in the US and Canada, most of Europe and China and much of the rest of the world is exactly 4' 8½".

CC has a puzzle in today's WSJ. Think I'll go and tinker with it.

BTW - Does anybody know how to do fractions like the ½, above on a Mac using High Sierra OS? (I did the above by using an edit paste of ½ from another web page.)

TTP said...

C.C. and S.I.L Constance have a puzzle "When Not in Rome" today over at
Merriam-Webster Games

TTP said...



Thanks D-O !

thehondohurricane said...


Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

Alice said...

If the Dodgers couldn't win it (and obviously they could not!), my choice was the Nationals.

TTP beat me to it, my favorite line in A League of Their Own is when Tom Hanks looks incrediously at Geena and says, "There's no crying in baseball!" Loved the line, but it isn't true. There's lots of crying!!

And, oh yeah, it was an easy, fun puzzle.

Misty said...

I love doable Monday puzzles and this one was a treat--many thanks, Matt. Nice to see lots of familiar names like ESAU and IGOR, and TINA and GEENA. Haven't seen REDD Foxx for a while. But I did not know DAPHNE or YAQUI and needed perps for those. Put down DNA before realizing that OUTRUN would make it RNA. So, a bit of work here and there, but a lot of fun. And, Boomer, I loved seeing your "Wizard of Oz" picture.

Have a great week, everybody.

Tinbeni said...

boomer: Good job on the write-up.

Needed ESP (Every-Single-Perp) to get DAPHNE, YAQUI & AUER.
Complete unknowns ... which is unusual for a Monday puzzle.

Cheers!

Jayce said...

As usual, I liked this puzzle. I also liked that "When Not in Rome" puzzle, too.
Funny thing, after filling PAGEANT and reviewing the puzzle, I couldn't not read it as PAGE ANT.
Didn't know DAPHNE, but I do think it's a pretty name. "Daphne, duck!" is funny.
Yeah, I vaguely remember yellow stop signs.
I can't help but think that modern RAP is somehow related to the traditional "patter song," such as that "Whaddya talk, whaddya talk" song at the very beginning of The Music Man.
Happy Monday, all.

Hungry Mother said...

Quick and to the Point today. I had forgotten about AUER, but no problem. Monday is a good day to feel smart. Maybe I should do the New Yorker puzzle and come back to earth.

Ol' Man Keith said...

I don't think Materialize means APPEAR, at least not in the precise meaning of the terms. Even in Boomer's illustration of the Wizard of Oz, it is only the image of the man that APPEARs. We have to wait to the next scene to see the material huckster.

Smart move, Alice, in backing the Nats--after the Dodgers were defeated. Poor Dodgers!
Everybody says they ought to win; they deserve to win, but No--oo...

And how 'bout them Chargers yesterday? Hunh? Just skunked the Packers.
Now, if only they could find a home crowd..
~ OMK

Ol' Man Keith said...

PS. And even then it's all a movie, so everything's just APPEARances anyway. Nothing material about it.
Unless you count the reels--or whatever they use to project from nowadays.
~ OMK

Anonymous said...

The "sch. in Columbus" (2-D) is TOSU. . . .

Rap is not song (6-D).

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

WEES - A bit of a crunchy Monday. Thanks Matt for the puzzle. Thanks Boomer for the fun expo.

WOs: Come b/f C'MON; ENCL b/f and S was ISSUE'd TO me
ESPs: YAQUI, AUER, ELUL, DIDRIKSON
Fav: Do I go w/ Scooby-Doo reference or Young Frankenstein? I did need perp's for DAPHNE's spelling.

{B+, A}

Thank you TTP for a link to WTF a KEWPIE doll is. The Q-P theme gave me the K for kew but I had no idea. Perp didn't help for squat.

Dow - Thanks for the heads up on C.C.'s WSJ. Thanks TTP for heads-up on "Not Rome" pzl (I liked that SIENA was in it; DW and I just visited during our trip).

Krispy Kremes' glazed donuts taste very much like Mel-O-Cream in SPI.

Cheers, -T

Lemonade714 said...

C.C. is everywhere, even in a puzzle I had never heard of before now, It was not easy.

Glad you stopped by Hondo. I wish more of our retired and semi-retired posters would do so more often.

Michael said...

Spitz @ 10:13 am --

The simplest solution to fractional characters is to go to < http://s3.amazonaws.com/simpleuseful/fractionsfonts.html >.and copy the file to your Mac.

You can just copy and paste whatever fraction you need, as most of the "usual suspects" are there.

Most newer Mac fonts have a few fractions, but usually they are located far outside normal access. You can also access the "FontBook" app included with OS X, but I have found it unhandy to use.