google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Saturday, November 14, 2020, Kyle Dolan

Advertisements

Nov 14, 2020

Saturday, November 14, 2020, Kyle Dolan

  Themeless Puzzle by Kyle Dolan


It seems like it was just yesterday C.C. asked me to be the Saturday blogger and here I am doing my tenth themeless puzzle from Kyle Dolan. Here is his generous and informative reply to my gmail:

Hi Gary!

Hope all is well with you!

The seed entry for this puzzle was HEART EYES. I sometimes seed themeless grids with long bottom-row entries, since these positions tend to be naturally more constrained than their top row counterparts. HEART EYES is a fresh, lively entry that also contains letters frequently found at the ends of words (E,H,R,T,S,Y), allowing much more flexibility to build upward.

The grid you're seeing now is fairly close to my original submission. Rich asked me to revise the central region, where I originally had ARBOL (clued as a kind of pepper) at 28-Down where ARIAL is now. Rich also changed the crossing at 44-Down and 50-Across from my MESCAL/DIS to MEZCAL/DIZ ("mezcal" is admittedly the more common spelling, but I'd hesitated about crossing it with DIZ at the Z).

You asked about clues--in the final version there are 46 clues where Rich used my original version or made only a minor adjustment (out of 72). I'm glad to see my clues for 16-Across, 45-Across, 34-Down and 57-Down all made the cut in some form. I often enjoy using duplicated clues in my puzzles, so when I learned that both OHIO University and UGA (Georgia) are both in towns called Athens, I knew I had to give them twin clues!

Thanks,

Kyle

My lone "mistake" was what Kyle mentioned in his note. I had an S for DI_/ME_CAL which not only seemed fine to me but it was Kyle's original intent and so I'll take a "got 'er done".  Rich could have settled for 50. Scorn in the hood for DIS and keep 44. Tequila relative for MESCAL.


Across:

1. Passage for change: SLOT - These SLOTS saw a lot of my change pass through in my misspent yute


5. Steadfast refusal: NO MEANS NO - Got it?


14. Lakeside rental: CANOE - My first pick was the wrong 5-letter C A _ _ _ word in this lake picture 


16. Morning person's mantra: UP AND AT 'EM - Waking up 120 teenagers everyday on my 23 Central Florida field trips was challenging.

17. Bone near a temple: ANVIL - The temporal bone forms the temple and has the auditory canal that leads to the ANVIL (Incus)


18. Sports-based nickname for Green Bay: TITLE TOWN - This celebrates their NFL Championships (most were pre-Super Bowl)


19. Like some online antivirus protection: REAL TIME 


21. Brad's Drink, nowadays: PEPSI.


22. PC panic key: ESC.

23. Galena, e.g.: ORE - Galena ORE has very little use but it is a very useful, though potentially toxic, source of lead 


24. CPA's column entries: AMTS.

26. Nullify: ABROGATE.
29. Michigan's state wildflower is one: IRIS 

33. Influential supporter: PATRON - As a PATRON of the arts, Pope Julius II commissioned Michelangelo to paint a ceiling for him after Raphael turned down the job


35. Word with tie or fly: ROD - One helps steer your car and the other helps you catch fish

36. Spiritual teacher: LAMA - A spiritual leader in Tibetan Buddhism 

37. School in Athens: OHIO and 
42. Sch. in Athens: UGA - OHIO University and The University of Georgia. Kyle loved the fact that these schools are both in cities named Athens. 

38. Maguire's "Spider-Man" director: RAIMI - Sam on the set with Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. I ran across his name Monday in the NYT puzzle and so I was prepared.


40. Fights (for): VIES - In last Sunday's great puzzle we had 48A. VIE: MOVIE CLIP.
 
41. Fish-eating bird: LOON.


43. What might be made after an argument: AMENDS 

45. Minnesota WNBA team: LYNX - I wonder if C.C. and Boomer follow them

46. NBA team originally from Minnesota: LA LAKERS - Here is LA LAKER Kobe Bryant wearing a "retro" uniform honoring their predecessors: The Minneapolis (MPLS) Lakers.


48. Handle user: CBER - I had a Citizen's Band radio in the 1980's and used some of that lingo: "Breaker, breaker one nine for Single Cross. Ya got yer ears on? What's your 20? Come back." Yeah, I know... 

50. Jazz trumpeter's nickname: DIZ.


51. Snicker part: HEE.

54. Japanese soup stock: DASHI - Add this powder to warm water and you have DASHI stock

57. Outdoor cookers: HOT COALS - Marshmallows please!

59. Words after yawning: I NEED A NAP 

62. Long range: ANDES The Andes Mountains extend over seven countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela, known as Andean States.

63. Banksy genre: STREET ART - An anonymous British artist


64. Lewis with the 2015 album "I Am": LEONA Here 'ya go

65. Emoji related to Blowing Kiss: HEART EYES - Kyle's seed entry as seen on yours truly:

66. Influence: SWAY - Candidates try to SWAY voters


Down:

1. Cause to jump, maybe: 
SCARE.

2. Paths between gutters: LANES - These bumpers were a wonderful invention to keep the ball on the LANES and out of the gutters


3. Away, maybe: ON VACATION - Is anyone you know traveling these days? 

4. Plug away: TOIL

57. Fabulous racer: HARE - Fabulous here means "celebrated in fable" where the tortoise  exemplifies the previous clue/fill above


5. Pumpkin pie spice: NUTMEG.

6. TV kid in Miss Crump's class: OPIE - I had no idea on RAIMI but knew Miss Crump instantly. Andy Griffith's affair with Miss Crump (Aneta Corsaut) while he was married was "the worst kept secret on the set"


7. Yoga studio item: MAT.

8. Phot. lab request: ENL - In a 1948 film noir Call Northside 777, Jimmy Stewart's character uses an ENL in this scene to find a date that proves a man's innocence. Watch the entire movie


9. Expert: ADEPT.

10. FiveThirtyEight guru: NATE SILVER 


11. Organ part: STOP - The Mormon Tabernacle Organ has 5 keyboards and 147 STOPS you see on the left and right panels here


12. Breaking __: NEWS.

13. Four Seasons rival: OMNI - This hotel company often appears on our crossword itinerary 

15. Corrida foe: EL TORO - A corrida is a bullfight and... 

20. Despotic regime: IRON RULE 

24. Science word from the Greek for "indivisible": ATOM - From the Greek: "a" meaning not and "tomos" meaning cut

25. Pre-packaged promotional materials: MEDIA KIT - Here's what we want you to know/think about our company/policy

27. Raspberry since the 1920s: BRONX CHEER - It can be accompanied by a raspberry (an interesting derivation)


28. Easy-to-read font: ARIAL - This is the Georgia font I use. This is ARIAL

30. Leeward mountain dry area: RAIN SHADOW - Here you see Mt. Hood as part of the Cascade Range and the RAIN SHADOW that forms when the precipitation can't get over the Cascades.


31. Chatted with, briefly: IMED - My 80-yr-old widowed neighbor IMED (Instant MessagED) me just yesterday 

32. Time-out cause: SASS 
33. Election year staple: POLL - Polling can turn out to be very, uh, unpredictable 

34. Stern call?: AHOY - You could yell AHOY in style from the stern of this yacht


39. Food thickener: AGAR.

44. Tequila relative: MEZCAL “An old Oaxacan proverb goes: "Para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien, también.Huh?
47. Embraces: ADOPTS.

49. Common overseas hotel amenity: BIDET.

52. Colleague of Neil and Sonia: ELENA 

Sonia Sotamayor, Elena Kagan, Neil Gorsuch

53. Didion work: ESSAY Bio and IMDB

54. Gossip: DISH - DISHing  dirt is way different than eating dirt

55. Pot builder: ANTE - When you hear, "Pot's light" in a poker game, it means someone has yet to ANTE

56. "Buona __": Italian greeting: SERA - A silly 1968 movie: Buona SERA (Good Evening) Mrs. Campbell Trailer


58. Singles: ONES.

60. Absorbed, as extra expenses: ATE - Ford lost $350M on the Edsel 

61. Anti-passing cry: NAY On December 8, 1941 Jeanette Rankin of Montana was the only member of either house of Congress to vote NAY on the declaration of war on JapanHisses could be heard in the gallery as she cast her vote; several colleagues, including Rep. (later Senator) Everett Dirksen, asked her to change it to make the resolution unanimous—or at very least, to abstain—but she refused. "As a woman I can't go to war," she said, "and I refuse to send anyone else.
This picture shows her in a phone booth later that day calling for protection from people who were very angry with her.







45 comments:

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Rich changed it just to get me, even after I wished him a happy birthday. Never saw it spelled with a Z, so it was MESCAL (Hi, Husker). DNF. Also had to change CAbin to CANOE (Hi, Husker), and DIrt (noun) to DISH (verb). But there was lotsa nice stuff in this one. Thanx, Kyle and Husker (that bidet is missing its "Eject" button).

TITLE TOWN: In my ute Green Bay Channels 2, 5 and 11 were what we watched. Green Bay doesn't need to worry about the team leaving town -- the town owns the team. Or, at least, it used to.

GALENA: Downtown Galena, IL used to be nothing but dingy "junk" shops. Today, it's morphed into a tourist destination. It's in NW Illinois, not far from Dubuque, IA.

Wilbur Charles said...

I liked DIZ but was unfamiliar with the agave based drink with a Z mesCal or meZcal?

I finally grok'ed that it was an Anon-T type of virus. And...AHA on Bowling LANES! Talk about V8s.

Reminds me of the French: Poisson sans boisson est poison*

DISH vs dirt was all perps. LIU? Indicates it's modern slang.

My newspaper that I filled out has the Z, D-O, but I mentally changed it back to S. ½ a DNF?

Curious to see the consensus on difficulty level. Do I hear an average? Who said Wednesday level?

WC

* eg Always drink wine when having fish. Heard it first in Senior year French IV.

Madame Defarge said...

Good Morning.

Started with some guesses that didn't pan out. Like DO I went right for the cabin--not the CANOE. Hot grill for HOT COALS, Guru before LAMA and so on. Lots of do overs, but generally not too bad for a Saturday. Thanks, Kyle, for the challenge.

Nice tour, Gary. Thank you. I like your Emoji.

Still sunny, so have a very fine day.

Mark said...

Many of my favorite players on the TITLETOWN 60's teams have died recently. Paul Hornung just yesterday.

The X in LYNX lead me to BRONXCHEER. BASKINROBBINSFLAVOR didn't fit.

Liked the two Athens based colleges clues. Didn't get them straight away but smiled when they appeared.



Anonymous said...

Good puzzle. Took 12:26, and at least 30 seconds of that was changing the "z" to an "s" for that mescal/dis intersection.

desper-otto said...

Anon, didn't you mean "s" to a "z?"

inanehiker said...

I thought this clipped along faster than some Saturdays. I already had TOIL so I didn't fall for the CABIN before CANOE - but I was thinking of more of an abode before watercraft when I first attempted the clue.

If you're ever near TITLE TOWN there is a fun museum/exhibit across from the stadium. The team is owned by the fan shareholders and run by a seven member executive committee. (360,000+ stockholders own 5 million+ shares) They have a big annual shareholders meeting in the summer every year (virtual this year) Whenever they are doing a big renovation of the stadium they sell stock. And with a 25 year waiting list for season tickets they are not worried about selling out the stadium.

ABROGATE came to mind easily unfortunately as there is person around our area who likes to use that word whenever he writes letters of opposition.

Thanks HG and Kyle!

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

Hand up for having 's' in DIZ. Got everything else, though, so; a good Saturday for me. No wite-out was needed.
Scratched my head over the raspberry clue, but when I saw the B and X, BRONX CHEER plopped right in.
Athens - UGA - - Athens, GA, was the site of the US Navy's Supply Corps school from 1954 to 2005. The school is now at Newport, RI.
We've been ON VACATION in situ since mid-March.
RAIN SHADOW - A significant part of the phenomenon IMO is the effect of adiabatic lapse rate on the air mass. The cooling rate as the mass rises and drops its moisture is less than the warming rate as it drops over the lee side. The total net change being warmer air, the relative humidity or dew point is lower and the chance of precipitation becomes substantially less.

Thanks Gary for another great intro and for sharing Kyle's thoughts.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

Kyle certainly packed this puzzle with lively and fresh fill, to wit: Bronx Cheer, I Need A Nap, No Means No, plus, unknown to me but outstanding, Title Town, Rain Shadow, and Street Art. Knowing Nate Silver opened the floodgates and from there on, it was all smooth sailing. Unknowns were Dashi and Leona, but perps were fair. I didn’t get the Brad ~ Pepsi connection; I thought maybe Brad Pitt is now a Pepsi spokesman. In addition to the fabulous fill, I appreciated the clever cluing and misdirection and, most of all, the very few three letter words. I prefer a more challenging level of difficulty in a Saturday puzzle, but I enjoyed this solve immensely.

Bravo, Kyle, you brightened my day considerably and thanks, HG, for adding your own special whimsy, wit and wisdom to the mix.

Yesterday’s trip for the blood draw was futile as the Lab was closed, due to the virus, I assume. It was open back in the summer, but perhaps it proved too risky for the staff and patients. I then proceeded to CVS where I spent $42.00 on greeting cards.

Have a great day.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

If I finish I assume it was an easier than usual Saturday challenge. But...owie!!...from the reveal I FIW!....ARIeL crossed with UGe! 😬

"Bone near a temple." Hope the first word isn't a verb 🤭🤭...anyway put ORBIT which is composed of several temporal bones thus incorrect so perpwalked the middle ear ossicle ANVIL. I suffer from low grade tinnius...The hammer (maleus) is whacking the anvil (incus) too hard in my head.

Who is Brad? NATESILVER unknown..Election year staple: mud?...🦅/LOON (c'mon.. the answer's always "ern[e]".) Pot builder: was thinking "nest egg" investment. The only musical Lewis I could think of was Huey. Snicker part? Nut?..wrong!! (hee HEE). Cookers use charcoal (can Superman make a diamond squeezing a lump of charcoal?). DASHI? Huh?

A despotic regime imposes IRON RULE but is not itself. (You know what I mean). The error yogi (guru) led me, also erroneously, to moonSHADOW. All corrected with Michigan's IRIS. "Yogi, smarter than the average LAMA."

MEZCAL: an answer that suddenly came to me out of nowhere. Like Dr. Dolan says I had mescal first which didn't work with DIZ.

Heard of Banksy only as creating graffiti ( a from of STREET ART) from the movies "Exit Through the Gift Shop" and "Saving Banksy" Ephemeral sidewalk chalk art in Milan, Florence, etc. Pedestrians make donations like musicians get in the subway. I saw incredible chalk art in the 70s destined to be washed away with the next rain shower.

Wikipedia...."Street painters, (also called chalk artists) a name these performance artists are most commonly called in the United States are called I Madonnari in Italy (singular form: madonnaro or madonnara) because they recreated images of the Madonna. In Germany, the word is Straßenmaler (streets: "Straßen", painter: "Maler")."

Headed to the gallows the prisoner hoped for a breaking _____ NEWS.
Lady of the evening....STREETART.
Down Under nocturnal animals sleep __ BIDET.

Unknown said...

Yikes! Almost ready to toss this one after the first run through, but getting the NE with no trouble gave me encouragement. Changes included cabin to canoe, guru to lama, erne to tern to loon, and dirt to dish among others. The center-east and SW both came slowly, all with perps. I knew Diz had to be right, so just accepted the alternate spelling of mescal to mezcal. Didn't know rainshadow or streetart, or Nate's last name, but I guess that's why we all do these every day. Learning new stuff every day even at seventy-something. Now on to 10 hours of college football and The Masters. Goooo Irish.

Shankers said...

That should be "Shankers" above, not Unknown. Don't know what caused that.

Anonymous said...

Fun puzzle if a little on the easy side for a Saturday. And as always, a great write-up by Gary.

I was in Galena, IL two weeks ago to get away from Chicago for a couple of days and enjoy the fall colors. U.S. Grant lived in Galena both before the civil war and after. The home given to Grant by the city is open for tours. A few miles away is "The Point of Beginning" which was the starting location for surveying all of Wisconsin.

Have a safe day everyone.

JB2

AnonymousPVX said...


Had to hunt and peck before things came together.

As a retiree, I am on permanent vacation.

Have a safe weekend.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Easy? No, I did not find it so. I thought it challenging but after finishing I'm not sure why. Once the long fill is completed, it's easy enough to fill in the crosses. Sometimes my mind goes ON VACATION.

NATE SILVER appears in my e-mail quite often throughout the election campaign.

I don't pay enough attention to directors of movies so LIU RAIMI of whom I had not heard. I'm not a fan of Spider Man movies anyway.

Interesting to learn that Michigan's state wild flower is IRIS. Wild flower? I really liked the cluing for ANDES.

Of course I spelled it MESCAL since I don't recall having seen it as MEZCAL and don't know DIZ. Also I blew it at CBER/BIDET since I had EIDER instead. i recall my surprise the first time I saw a BIDET which I mistook for a foot bath.

A very nice challenge from Kyle Dolan. Thank you. And many thanks to Gary for once again supplying us with not only answers but well illustrated ones.

Hopefully you are all enjoying a pleasant Saturday! It's lovely here.

Wilbur Charles said...

As someone said feel free to inform us of the Brad/PEPSI connection.

WC

desper-otto said...

Here's that Brad connection.

Yellowrocks said...

Not easy for me. A few LIUs.

ATLGranny said...

FIR today, amazingly, since it took several breaks to get problem areas in the western half to work out: HEART EYES, STREET ART, ANVIL and ABROGATE. In the middle, I too had trouble with RAIMI, ROD, ARIAL and MEDIA KIT, but finally got them. One place I filled without agony was DIZ and MEZCAL, assuming it referred to Dizzy Gillespie. Thanks Kyle for a challenging puzzle. Husker Gary, many many thanks for your remarks and help. I've been enjoying your numerous appearances (emoji ?) as well.

Now for a bike ride to enjoy the sunshine.

Malodorous Manatee said...

With the answers to both 24 Down and 16 Across I thought that we might see this gentleman today.

Radioactive Man

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

DO..

Shoulda been called Caleb Cola.

NaomiZ said...

FIR at a good clip in spite of unknown schools, teams, "sports-based nickname," etc. Also DNK Miss Crump, RAIMI, PEPSI, LEONA, Galena ... how do I even function here? At least MEZCAL was no problem! Very familiar here in So Cal. Thanks, Kyle, Gary, and all you Cornerites.

CrossEyedDave said...

The upper right corner filled in nicely
at a Wednesday level...

The rest of the puzzle
was not level at all,
and was more of a rocky road...

So, looking for silly links, I got a little sidetracked
with Mezcal/Mescal.

When your looking for silly on Google,
Mescal comes up with this young guy with 6 pack abs...
(find your own links girls, he ain't my type...)

However, Google responds well to Me"z"cal...

I thought a Mezcal story would be amusing,
just as an appetizer, sort of thing...

One thing I am grateful to the Constructor for,
was not mixing Oreo's and Mezcal...
(I think it is an unwritten rule)
(if Mezcal is in the puzzle, you cannot use Oreos...)

Anywho, I digress...

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Thanks Kyle for the Saturday challenge. This is as far as I got b/f a cheat...
//oh, 23a (Galena*) is an ORE not an Ode. HG - let's see if that sticks after a NAP :-)

Wonderful expo as above par HG. Thanks for the inside-baseball w/ Kyle.

WOs: NAe -> NAY, trying to get a gas grill in at 44d
ESPs: Nope, didn't get that far
Totally wrong fill blocking obvious (DIZ! Duh!): Acepts[sic], tEE for HEE, and ode for ORE.
Fav: Hum, NATE SILVER or UGA //Sch. that produced REM [End of the World live 6:15]

Long range? - after getting White Sands' Missile range (did 2 weeks bivouac there) out of my head, I was trying to think of a word for six-burner stove. Oh, mountains... D'Oh!

*Galena - Oh, Galeeena as in IL (think I had a relative there). Thanks D-O (and JB2)! Maybe ORE will stick now.

CED - LOL last two links. I need that laugh!

Well, you can all see my grid so make fun at will.

Cheers, -T

waseeley said...

Pharmaceutical License?

Malodorous Manatee said...

CED, the appetizer link was so funny it should be Ilegal . . . or Del Maguey. . . and it will be funny again next Thursday.

Hungry Mother said...

I was a little sloppy in not completely changing RAINSHield to RAINSHADE, so I had some squares that needed to be fixed. When I saw ANDES, I didn’t remember writing it down, so went to the grid and fixed things. I definitely coulda FIR, actually FIW.

Anonymous T said...

Someone who really needs an editor says...

a) HG - Wonderful above par expo (as always) HG.

b) Needed CED's laugh provoking comics today.

For those who've not read NATE SILVER's The Signal and the Noise, [Wiki] there's your CliffsNotes. Great book about honing predictions with stat models. A fun non-fiction read.

Cheers, -T

TTP said...



Dash T, "WOs: NAe -> NAY, trying to get a gas grill in at 44d"

Wha ? Or gas grill at 57A ?

I had Hibachis for a short time and was proud of it until I wasn't. D'oh !

Jayce said...

I had ANVIL, which is right, but had CABIN, which is wrong. Had CLOVES instead of NUTMEG and PIPE instead of STOP, but knew NATE SILVER right away. ERNE before GULL before TERN, until LOON it finally had to be. Of course, PELICAN or ALBATROSS didn't fit. "Breaking _____"? Sheesh, it could be damn near anything. And so it went. Like Lucina, I did not find this puzzle to be easy. But, also like Lucina, after I eventually did solve it successfully I'm not sure why I found it so difficult. Actually, when I think about it, some of the best puzzles are like that: challenging to solve and then clear in hindsight.

There is also a Galena in South Dakota, which we visited or passed through a few times.

Good wishes to you all.

Anonymous T said...

TTP:

Um, OK... I clearly need an editor :-)

I was going for gasgrill @57a but it explains my 'G' @44d [see: pic in 1st post].
//I really need to look into this Tequila alternative.

I also wanted Hibachis @57a but wasn't going to Google|cheat for the spelling just yet. :-)

WC - I hope you can last my 'heavy metal' (ORE?) links just a bit longer...
More R.E.M. [Radio Free Europe on Letterman's show 4:15] from UGA.

Cheers, -T

CanadianEh! said...

Slow Saturday. Thanks for the fun, Kyle and HuskerG.
I will blame my slowness and eventual visits to Google to Canadian disadvantage.
Here's looking at you - TITLETOWN, OHIO, UGA, LYNX, NATE SILVER, IRIS (as clued).
ELENA even this Canadian has learned by now!
RAIMI and LEONA were unknown.
But I did get CANOE and DIZ/MEZCAL!

NAY and NO MEANS NO were appropriate.
I remembered BANKSY from the shredded Girl with Balloon.
BANKSYed

Wishing you all a great day.

Anonymous T said...

C, Eh! - You got me to learn more about Banksy. Thx! -T

waseeley said...

Thanx Dr Kyle for a challenging puzzle for me at least. Didn't get 63A Banksy genre - thought at first he might be a musician. But after perping "art" and "*tre*" I thought it might be "outre'". As that didn't fit I finally resorted to the Oracle at Mt View to find "street art" and "duh, I've heard of him!". But beware, Banksy is not to be confused with "INO", the equally unknown street artist from Greece.

23A I found that there is another town besides the one in IL called Galena, and it's right on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Kent County, MD. It's interesting that neither of these towns could correctly describe their namesake ore on their websites. The IL site described it as "a "rare ore of lead" (it's actually the principal and most common ore) and the MD site described as an "ore of silver". BTW it's a beautiful mineral and easy to identify as "it's heavy as lead!" and it consists of masses of silver colored cubic crystals.

5A Thank's to Gary for the great list of synonymous phrases for "NO MEANS NO". Very timely information!

And with that, "59A". See y'all tomorrow.

Ol' Man Keith said...

A toughie from Dr. Dolan, well explicated by Husker G.

Tough enough that when I came to "Breaking ____" I wanted to fill with LEGS-- somebody else's!

For the longest time I wondered why or how CHER could be a "Handle user."
Hmm.
In a sense, aren't we ALL handle users?
It finally dawned. And here, I used to be a big CB-ER!
My handle? = "Carpetbagger"
~ OMK
___________
DR:
. One diagonal in the mirror.
Its anagram names the play whereby a QB fakes a quick handoff, then hides the ball & runs for dear life.
It is synonymous with another fake, that of an unauthorized version of copyrighted material. This is...
"THE BOOTLEG"!

waseeley said...

I think "handle" was originally CBer argot.

Yellowrocks said...

For those asking about my nephew, Tim, he is now in a stage 4 coma, 3 being the worst. He has fluid on the brain and needs a drain. 77+% of those in this condition do not survive. Doctors now think that a stroke followed by a fall precipitated this cascade of events. If he should live, he would need 24/7 care all his life.

Boomer said...

Thanks to Husker Gary for a great write up. Yes, those boards between the gutters are LANES and not that other word. The Lakers headed west but Bob Short, who was the owner, brought them back to Minneapolis for a regular season game several times in the 60s. The game benefitted Benilde High School and I was in the glee club and part of the halftime show. These days we are all proud of Laker Devin George, who is also an alumni of Benilde.

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

Thanks HG and Kyle

Lots of perps came to the rescue, although I did complete the upper half of the grid ala Wednesday puzzles, and correctly had DIZ crossing MEZCAL

Ended up FIW as I had two Naticks: DASHI/DISH and ATOM/RAIMI. Less difficult clues for DISH and ATOM would've solved for me, but ALAS this IS a Saturday puzzle

SO to my daughter who's a prof at UGA, and to many of my family who matriculated at OHIO U in Athens

The Masters was a nice five hour + distraction today as I watched the end of Round 2 on tape, and the entirety of Round 3 on CBS live. Can DJ earn his second Major tmw?

Chairman Moe said...

BTW, Congrat's to HG as his Nebraska Cornhuskers beat Penn State today! Well done!

TTP said...



Missed that "this" earlier Dash T, and didn't see your next post after that either. Preoccupied, with little focus on the blog today.

Unknown said...

Started @ 5:15 (p.m.) after Saturday chores complete --- finished @ 6:30 - a rapid Saturday solve for me. Only goofed on tie-rod. Too mechanical 4 me!! Enjoyable.I'm beginning to enjoy themeless puzzles more - they don't involve silly stretches to fit the theme (i.e. yesterday's silly slog of shoes).

Wilbur Charles said...

-T, I managed 30 seconds. Poor young man was obviously in pain

Anonymous T said...

YR - I'm so sorry to read that... God Speed both you.

Loved the DR OMK.

No worries TTP...

C.Moe - is that the musician (cello(?)) at UGA?

WC - My (CEO) brother turned me on to R.E.M. back in the day. My brother can also do all the lyrics live! with his band.

Changing gears...
Years ago, DW had the idea for us to spend our anniversary in VT. We found Sugar Bush Farms while leaf-peeping. Best maple syrup ever! (good cheese too). So, that's were we order from...
//"Girls, that's liquid gold, not so much; that's wasting."

Anyway, new syrup shipment came yesterday. I was just about to toss the shipping box... Wait, they packed the syrup bottle in news paper? Whoot!

I'm now reading the Vermont Standard and Valley News. I know I spotted (when flattening out the paper) a crossword too :-)

Have a great night!

Cheers, -T

Anonymous T said...

Overposter say...

Youngest told me they just posted Dad & Daughter (social distancing/mask'd dance) we recorded for tonight's football game.
I'm on the far (screen) left getting every thing backwards -- hey! I learned the dance (4 hour earlier!) watching an iPhone... and, um, mirrored it :-)

Cheers, -T