google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, July 30, 2021, Michael Dewey and Kevin Christian

Advertisements

Jul 30, 2021

Friday, July 30, 2021, Michael Dewey and Kevin Christian

  Title: Watch the bouncing I

Michael has been publishing puzzles since 2012, mostly here at the LAT. This is his first collaborative effort, but certainly not for Kevin who is not only prolific on his own but with others, and generously stops by to share his insights here at the Corner. Once I accepted the placement of a random in the middle of the theme fill, I was prepared for the reveal at 52D, which was part of every theme clue. 52D. Chain with an alternate 28-letter name ... and what you need to write five puzzle  answers? : IHOP (4). INTERNATIONAL (13) HOUSE (5) OF (2) PANCAKES (8). I guess the image is to be of the hopping into the middle. Creative, but still a bit puzzling to me but the solve went well. The only non-theme long fill are BRIBE MONEY and LIKE A CHARM both of which are introduced to major puzzle publications here and are placed symmetrically in the grid. 

The theme:

18A. Item served at 52-Down: POACHED EGG (11). I have eaten their poached eggs on toast. 

24A. Item served at 52-Down: FRENCH I TOAST (12). They use thick cut French Bread and have many varieties. 

38A. Item served at 52-Down: BANANA PANCAKES (15). A grid spanner with the central I, and along with their chocolate chip very popular, but now they are pushing strawberry. 

47A. Item served at 52-Down: TURKEY I BACON (12). For those of us who do not eat pork it is a great menu addition.

57A. Item served at 52-Down: HASH I BROWNS (11). Always an iffy choice, but they also have breakfast potatoes, potato pancakes and french fries.

They have a nice 55+ menu if you eat out, and they have kids eat free days but I have not been in about 20 years so my comments may not be relevant or reliable. On to the puzzle.

Across:

1. Surfing venue: WEB. Not a sea, but a sea of words.

4. Tapered off: ABATED. You have to be careful about being too proficient about tapering off.

10. Yankees' foes: JAYS. Or the CUBS, METS, RAYS, REDS ...

14. Nautical pronoun: HER. The HISTORY.

15. Chowder chunk: POTATO. Chowdah again so soon?

16. Wind in the reeds: OBOE. The tuning one.

17. Ring star: ALI. Muhammed.

20. 1988 self-titled country album: REBA. McIntyre.

22. Three, in Bari: TRE. Italian from this CITY in Southern Italy.

23. One of the "Emerging 7" nations: INDIA.

28. Word associated with Denver: MILE. Mile high, both literally and with all the legal marijuana smoked, eaten, etc. First time I flew there was on a learjet and it semi-unreal to watch the altimiter at 7000 feet as we were about to land. 

29. Govt. health org.: CDCCenter for Disease Control. No comment - way too political.

30. Flight: LAM. An ARTICLE for thought? A repeat from yesterday.

33. Kitchen draw: AROMA. Not a storage area, but what brings people there.

35. Mum of Charlotte, George and Louis: KATE. She is tall.


37. Queen's home: HIVE. How nice to have this next to a possible future Queen.

41. Stuntman Knievel: EVEL

42. Like Vassar since 1969: COED. Of the original Seven Sisters, 4 are still women's colleges. Bryn Mawr, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College, and Wellesley College have so far decided against adopting coeducation. 

43. Lift providers: UBERS. Not LYFT?

44. Mystery writer Josephine: TEY. Her first novel was made into a movie by Alfred Hitchcock. As a mystery writer, she was a MYSTERY

45. "Can I help you?": YES. No way, leave me alone!

46. Orange County city: BREA. Did you lose your LA?

52. More unfriendly: ICIER. Ah ha, maybe that is Tin's idea?

55. Heckle: BOO. Hiss, or Jeckle?

56. One-horse ride: SHAY. According to the dictionary, it derived from the word chaise, French for chair. It also was Tyrion's favorite whore, and when we solved our dance puzzle this week, it reminded me of Lucina and her sashaying.

61. Non-verbal syst.: ASLAmerican Sign Language.

62. Tony kin: OBIE. Not Tigger but the award for theatrical productions. Broadway / off-broadway

63. Begin to associate (with): FALL IN. Generally a bad crowd,

64. 2016 Olympics host: RIO. And now 5 years later we have the 2020 olympics in Tokyo.

65. Prepare for a pic: POSE
                                                
66. Dumpster fire: FIASCO. The LINK.

67. ISP option: MSN. MicroSoft Network

Down:

1. Landing: WHARF. For a boat, silly.

2. Conger chaser: EELER. A big meh.

3. Loot to keep mute?: BRIBE MONEY. I love the clue and the fill, a rhyme and an introduction.

4. Smartphone software: APP.

5. "The Women" playwright Clare __ Luce: BOOTHE. Boy, is the old timey fill. If you do not know her STORY, you must at least read the link. She was a very inflential woman as I was growing up. 

6. Millipede maker: ATARI. the game maker and 13D. 6-Down rival: SEGA.

7. Musical "don't play": TACETMUSIC

8. E. African land: ETH.  ETH is the three-letter country abbreviation for Ethiopia. so now you know.

9. Buck's mate: DOE. Oh, Deer. More sexual innuendo.

10. Combined: JOINT. There they are cavorting, joined at the hip!

11. In the sack: ABED. What did I tell, sex, sex sex.

12. Hindu ascetic: YOGI. Not Berra, not Bear. The word is from the  Sanskrit - yogi 'one who performs yoga. But historically they were much more. Did you ever read or watch Marvel's IRON FIST in Hindi?

19. Clay pigeon, e.g.: DISC



21. __ kingdom: ANIMAL. Why? and why is the Lion the King? 

25. Scottish family: CLAN. Ms. Tey was born Elizabeth MacKintosh.  The MAC meant protestant, but she late in life converted to catholicism. Not talking religion, just history.

26. Group of eight: OCTAD.

27. Port on its own gulf: ADEN.
                                
30. Best way for something to work: LIKE A CHARM. The other special clue fill combo, I hope they are for both MD and KC. 

31. Declare: AVER. I avow that I hate to aver. Or to 33D. Help, as a hood: ABET. Or even to 36D. Imitate: APE a friend. It could lead to an...

32. Untidy situation: MESS.

34. Wild, all-night party: RAVE. Do raves need to be all-night? IDK. 
Maybe. Just don't need a 37D. Writ of __ corpus: HABEAS to get home.

35. Newspaper stand, e.g.: KIOSK. A lovely word like Khaki which comes from Urdu and Persian words meaning “dust,” or “dusty
Kiosk  traces to Persian kushk​, which meant "palace." 

39. Taiwanese laptop brand: ACER. The REVIEW.

40. Street border: CURB. Not to be confused with the Rave credo PLUR.

45. __ Gagarin, first human in outer space: YURI. Back in the day also Misattributed, "I see no God up here."
This has been reported as a remark Gagarin made while in orbit aboard Vostok 1, but there is no indication of it in the official transcripts of his communications. It is similar to the above statements he reportedly made after his return to earth, which might have given rise to this account.

46. Jaime Sommers, TV's "__ Woman": 

47. Chuckle: TEHEE. Tees me me off when then leave off the E.

48. Congo River tributary: EBOLA. What is in a NAME

49. Feline complaints: YOWLS. Random.

50. Refuge from the heat: OASIS. This "fertile spot in a desert, where there is a spring or well and more or less vegetation," originally was in reference to the Libyan desert, 1610s, from French oasis (18c.) and directly from Late Latin oasis, from Greek oasis, probably from Hamitic (compare Coptic wahe, ouahe "oasis," properly "dwelling place," from ouih "dwell"). 

51. Early seat belt material: NYLON. Do we really care? Today, seat belt material is usually woven from 100% polyester. Nylon used to be the most popular material, but nylon stretches more than polyester and is more prone to wear and tear. 

53. Mexican resort, for short: CABO. Do you want to VISIT?

54. Sister of Osiris: ISIS. A frequent goddess visitor.

58. Lifelong bud, initially: BFF. Best Friends Forever.

59. Italian counterpart of the BBC: RAI. Much to learn, including Italian. LINK.

60. __-cone: SNO

Another week, another grid with single letters highlighted. My mind wandered again, and it had a very good time. Thank you Michael and Kevin, come say hello.

Lemonade out.



40 comments:

staili said...

Although I know many solvers don't mind, I am personally not a big fan of theme answers that are random letters if you don't know the theme. The "i" insertion is a clever idea for a theme, but, as Lemonade said, they end up being random strings like BANANAIPANCAKES. If the "i" addition made a new word, like BANANAPAINCAKES, that would be fun and a great theme. But BANANAIPANCAKES almost looks like some weird typo to me.

Today I learned that clay pigeons are in the shape of a DISC. I also learned some very interesting stuff about Clare BOOTHE Luce and Josephine TEY. I really liked LIKEACHARM.
Thank you, Lemonade, Kevin, and Mike!

OwenKL said...

The WEB provides UNABATED joys
For both little and grown-up boys.
Games to avoid the little-girl cooties,
Or to adore their luscious booties,
Or at my age, for crossword duties!

Today in our puzzle we hopped over I's
To get our food I-HOP breakfast size!
POACHED EGG, FRENCH TOAST,
TURKEY BACON, HASH BROWNS,
And BANANA PANCAKES to elicit sighs!

{A-, B-.}

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Got 'er done, and my solving method did not involve "Divine Revelation, Feminine Intuition, Mumbo Jumbo, Jiggery-Pokery, Coincidence, or Act of God" -- just Wite-Out to change SEA to WEB and RAYS to JAYS. After seeing that hopping I, perhaps I should change the spelling of my avatar to desper-ott3o. The 3 would be silent, of course. Enjoyed the outing, Michael, Kevin, and Lemonade.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing RiI x FiLL IN. Erased wonder Woman for BIONIC (danged sure should have gotten that one) and habius for HABEAS (bad spelars of the world, UNTIE!)

Thought this one was very easy for Friday, my error not withstanding. I thought the gimmick was lame as clued, but played with it in my mind and think that it would be fun if it was "what the breakfast menu looks like at the Apple HQ cafeteria."

Unfortunately Lemony is right - CDC is far too political. Seems like the fate of most of the government agencies, even the ones that must not become political.

Thanks to Michael and Kevin for the fun, and to Lemony for another fun review.

ddbmc said...

Fun puzzle, thanks all! Curious as to the clue for 33 D, Help, as a hood. ABET. (Missed, in the blog) I’m guessing it means: Help, in wrong doing? As I’ve just finished my coffee, it makes sense….I hopped all over this puzzle, crisscrossing answers, but got’r done!

Linkster said...

A head scratcher that had me HOPping around the board. 18-Across Item served at 52-Down I had to go down to the SW corner to realize the I was to be inserted in the long answers. That helped.

I have not been to an IHOP in ten years. My breakfasts now consist of coffee (no sugar), cereal or yoghurt. Ah, the delights of growing old.

Thank you Michael and Kevin for the diversion during my lackluster breakfast. Lemonade, your tour is always informative. Were you flying the Lear Jet?

USA! USA!

Wilbur Charles said...

After confidently inking WEB I inked rebs as a foe of the Yankees. Oh, MLB? I needed 4 perps for JOINT and JAYS. Yanks took the first 2 from Rays; didn't see last night's score. PVX knows

Aha, got the E in TRE and TACET for the FIR

My old Ski Club was named Sky High. I tried the stuff but didn't inhale. I get high on caffeine so I avoid that too except when I need to write a J poem(c below)

Wow, Safire; There's a name from the past. I liked the nose hair link; been wondering about that too.

Would that be KATE of the Windsors? Was that too obvious to mention?

And, we also have the Wonderful One Horse SHAY

I see Ms Tey and Ms Luce both converted to Catholicism.
Ms Luce by Martin Sheen from whom I used a quote* over in J-ville.

WC

**' Don't over think it, as Bishop Sheen said
"Too much reasoning leaves the modern soul dead "'

Now to get started on Saturday. I need a headstart for that. I would rate today as medium Difficulty

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

DNK TEY and settled for RAVa. So, one letter wrong. Got everything else OK. Felt overall it was a Monday level. Liked the IHOP theme. The puzzle had AROMA from all the theme fill. Good intro, Lemon.
HER - Agree with the link. We also refer to a car as 'she': "How is she running?" Das Auto is neuter. Le car is masculine.
From Trains Magazine in writing about Big Boy: For as long as steam locomotives have been around (and the same goes for ships, aircraft, and other large objects that move), crews have referred to their charges as female. “She" and “the old girl” are synonymous with a steam locomotive. The reason for these female references, I’ve come to know through explanation and my own relationships with steam locomotives over the years, is a term of endearment, affection for a machine that is as alive as any creation of our world.

Bob Lee said...

Hurray, for once an easy Friday for me.

Great theme, and as soon as I found the 'i' in the middle of the long words, I knew it was IHOP.

Hey, I'm from NY. The Yankee foe should be the Mets (and then the Boston Red Sox)!

Re. The 7 Sisters: long long ago I had a girlfriend who went to Smith (founded in 1871). She gave me a tee-shirt that states, "100 years of women on top". I still have it (although I don't think my wife knows!)

Big Easy said...

The 'hopping I' confused me for a while but after FRENCH I TOASE and BANANA I PANCAKES were on the grid I figured it would be IHOP without looking at the 52D clue. The top 3/4 of the puzzle was an easy fill with only TEY as a complete unknown. But the Deep South was almost a FIASCO before the words started to FALL IN place. Lots of ink write overs today to FIR.

PAL, BRO, or BFF.
RAI- unknown to me.
MEOWS?- Nope, it was YOWLS.
WONDER Woman? Nope, it was BIONIC Woman and she let me get to BREA. Helped Jinx too.
RAYON, ORLON or NYLON? Wait for perps
REBS? No, it was JAYS.
SHAY- I'd seen it before but really didn't know it so it was perps.
ETHiopia or ERItrea?

I had to change HIGH to MILE to get my BRIBE MONEY.

CDC & FIASCO in the same puzzle. Truth is stranger than fiction. Make up your minds people.

The two IHOPS near me aren't open at night because they can't get any help. If you can get $6-800.00/week for NOT working why would you go to work and get less money. Upside down world.

ATLGranny said...

TGIF and a FIR start to the day. The first "i" in the middle of the theme puzzled me but then I saw it was repeated. With the reveal I learned why. Thanks for the fun, Michael and Kevin.

Hand up for Wonder Woman before BIONIC and net/sea/WEB. BACON and BROWNS slowed me down as I was expecting to fit bread in somewhere. Ring star ALI was a surprise that made me smile. Guru/YOGI didn't last long as perps started filling in. All in all it was not a FIASCO, as Lemonade confirmed in his competent review. Thanks! I hope you all have a good breakfast today!

Anonymous said...

Finished in 10:26, but the "IHOP" theme made me miss the old themeless Fridays.

I didn't know tre, Tey, shay, or RAI, so I'll say it's just not my day, ok?

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

After yesterday’s tussle, this was a stroll in the park. No unknowns and only one w/o with Mewls before Yowls. We had some cute duos with Abed/Abet, Sega/Atari, Web/Hive, and Acer/Aver, plus the Easter Egg, Aroma. Overall, a pleasant solve, but I like more challenge in a Friday puzzle.

Thanks, Michael and Kevin, for a tasty treat and thanks, Lemony, for guiding us so skillfully. Thanks for the bios of Ms. Tey and Ms. Luce; both were very strong, accomplished women during challenging times. My favorite entry, however, was the photo of sweet Charlotte. She is so photogenic and poised!

FLN

Alice, yes, I did enjoy Rocket Man very much. I thought Taron Egerton gave an Oscar Worthy performance and was even more impressed when I learned he did his own singing. How he and the movie itself were snubbed by the The Academy is beyond me. The film received only one nomination for Best Original Song.

YR, I hope Alan is feeling better.

Have a great day.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

As Far asthe constructors go..We know Kevin's a Christian but what Dewey really know about Michael?...(Lemony did you meant the HERstory? )

A frankly fine Friday likely due to an easy theme with associated long fill answers once I figured out the extra letter thingy....FRENCH "toast" filled in too rapidly..oops too short. Same with HASH "browns". wait...is it the letter I "hopping" around"?. Hey!! who put the POTATO right on top of my my POACHED EGG? (What's that fly doing in my I soup?, the backstroke!) 😄...If MAC meant protestant MC Donald's must be Catholic burgers 🍔

Almost stated out with "sea" for WEB as a "surfing venue" but decided to perpwalk it.

Unheared of TEY, perpwalked as well. EBOLA river..hmm...is there an ECOLI pond?,..Lake Tse-tse?, Dengue Dam? 🙉

Conger as EELER, another term I learnt from the puzzles. So many clever clues for our old reed friend the "hautbois". Other old favs: AROMA, ABET stopped by.

He's on the LAM, means he's on the flight? (sounds like he's on a airplane)

inkovers: HABEu/AS...UBERS are "lift" but not Lyft providers.

Not a personal fan of proximal clues that refer to distal clues in order to provide an answer.

Radiotelediffusione uno e due ( RAI (rye 1 and 2). That's all the TV there was to watch in Italy in the early 70's and only in the evenings. ..then "pirate" stations began broadcasting from Switzerland and Yugoslavia.

There she is!....ICIER
ASL, kind of ...COED
"The buck stops here"..Sign on a ____. DOE

Rainy start to Friday. hope not a "oracle" of the weekend.

Malodorous Manatee said...

Thanks for the puzzle and the write up,Lemonade.
Why? Perhaps because Kings Play Chess On Fine Grained Sand?

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Me too - Usually a letter addition/substitution produces another “in the language” phrase but this was fun too!
-My favorite sporting goods store is full of clerks who earnestly ask, “Can I help you?” and are very knowledgeable.
-Remember the early American Idol audition shows where bad singers were BOOED?
-Lemon, I think that is the first movie I’ve seen dubbed into Hindi. No, really!
-HABEAS Corpus prevents “lock ‘em up and throw away the key”
-A friend of mine was a CURB builder on my summer construction crew of 50 years ago. He was bent over for many hours per day and is paying for it now
-C.C.’s wonderful site is an OASIS for me amid all the nonsense around me
-When my seatbelt needed to be hand retracted, I learned that my seat belt could not be repaired, it had to be replaced.

Anonymous said...

Irish Miss, I'm curious, which nominated actor and movie would you have removed to make room for them?

waseeley said...

FLN to TokenCreek @10:33 AM Re your request for instructions for adding links to comments, please send email to the address in my profile and I'll reply via email. I tried adding it as a comment here, but it involves some simple HTML, which Blogger sees and interprets, instead of showing the literal string needed.

Bill

Yellowrocks said...

I noticed the breakfast foods with I in the middle of each one. Then I found IHOP. So I is hopping right into things. I noticed the I in DISC might have hopped to the I in POACHED I EGG which it touches. That would have enhanced the theme, but it did not carry through the other four. Nice puzzle, Michael and Kevin. Lemon, I always enjoy your blogs.
I agree this was less difficult than yesterday's puzzle.
I liked surfing venue/web and wind in the reeds/oboe.
Eeler seems normal to me. Spellcheck flags it, but it is found in the dictionary.
WC, thanks for The One Horse Shay, a favorite from my childhood, when Mom used to read to us.
IM, thanks for asking about Alan. He seems a good bit better, but I have absolutely no idea what is going on. The staff will not share with me, although I am the legal guardian and have the paperwork to prove it. My guardianship handbook say the guardian sees to their charge's medical needs. Since I never met the psychiatrist or the social worker, tonight I will hand deliver a strong but not offensive note to the nurses' station for them. If necessary, I will contact the ombudsman.

AnonymousPVX said...


This Friday grid was a bit of a…puzzle.

Oh, I get it…IHOP means the I hops around…but randomly. Thus the entries make no real sense at all, menu items with a random I in them.

Okay. I guess. If you say so.

Write-overs…REBS/RAYS/JAYS, SHE/HER, MINT/MILE, HABEUS/HABEAS.

And of course a bad cell, tacIt/tacEt…and I take music lessons.

I would respectfully disagree that the CDC, and the apparently thankless job they do, is political. Rather, those who reject science have decided to make it so, IMO.

Also, I find it odd that they are criticized for continuing to find and disclose new information as it is discovered. This would appear to be the job they are tasked to,do.

I actually laughed out loud last night when the news had someone say about COVID “Why didn’t they tell us this months ago?” Ummm….because the new Delta acts differently?

Anyway, see you tomorrow.



waseeley said...

Thank you Michael and Kevin for a fun puzzle, which I missed by one letter (but learned from it). And thank you Lemony for another stellar review. That POSER looks familiar!

As POACHED EGGS are one of my favorite breakfast foods, I started to grok the theme at 18A, but the perps stubbornly insisted on an "I" between the two words. This pattern persisted with the remaining themers and I saw what was going on with the reveal at 52D - Michael and Kevin wanted us to "HOP over the I's" to get to the second word of each theme.

I liked all of the breakfast foods, even the TURKEY BACON, which we're planning to include in our BLAT wraps (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, and Tomatoes) for lunch today.

Other favs:

23A Funny that INDIA, which as been around for thousands of years is considered an "EMERGING" nation, whereas the US, which has been around for less than 300 years (and may be on its way out!) is in the "TOP 7"!

44A DNK Josephine TAY. DW and I are mystery show mavens and we'll have to keep our eyes peel for her work.

56A SHAY I was reminded immediately of Oliver Homes' poem "The Wonderful One-Hoss Shay", which I've always understood as an ODE to exquisite, lasting craftsmanship.

7D TACET My Waterloo. Wanted REST, but that was too short, so I settled for TACIT, but should have corrected it to work with TRE, which I did know from my pidgin Italian.

Cheers,
Bill

Misty said...

Neat Friday puzzle, many thanks, Michael and Kevin. And, of course, great commentary, Lemonade, thanks for that too.

Usually names slow me down in puzzles, but this morning they really helped. I got ALI, REBA, KATE, EVEL, YURI, ISIS, and BOOTHE, although the spelling of that one puzzled me a little. My favorite clue was "Best way for something to work"? Oh, LIKE A CHARM. Cracked me up.

Have a good weekend coming up, everybody.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! I HOPped right into this puzzle before midnight last night and knew what restaurant was going to appear before it did. Got a chuckle and some fun, thanks Kevin & Michael. Not having to grit my teeth and grind away on a Friday was a relief.

Lemonade, did this dirty minded girl inspire you to get a little naughty today? Very good expo. P.S. I had to giggle at being called a "girl" yesterday and dig down deep to find HER.

Josephine who? I AVER I never heard of HER.

For some reason BRIBE MONEY held me up the longest & I resisted BANANA. I had FRENCH & TURKEY so thought we'd have something with the name of a country in it but Belgin waffles didn't work. Overthought that one.

Irish Miss said...

Anonymous @ 10:52 ~ My comment was a subjective opinion about what I thought was an Oscar worthy performance in an Oscar worthy film. Obviously, The Academy voters didn’t agree with me.

YR @ 11:19 ~ I’m glad Alan is a little better. I can only imagine your frustration (and anger) with the staff. Let’s hope your written request elicits some information.

Becky said...

FLN the haloed moon -- isn't magic supposed to happen then? Isn't that when the faeries come out?

Josephine Tey is one of my favorite authors. I am inspired to go to the PC Library and get all of them that I can. There is a wonderful monologue in the beginning of Daughter of Time that would make a wonderful audition piece. An actress friend of the inspector is detailing how, in the matinee she was just in, spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about her down stairs bathroom drain and finding herself in the middle of the first act, not knowing how she got there. Very clever.

Becky

unclefred said...

Unclefred FIW. Google FIR. I started off with SEA at 1A, which buggered-up the NW. Too many DNKs to list. Even after I got the theme by getting IHOP and seeing the insertion of the “I” in the middle, there were just too many unknowns for me, and I started cheating by Googling things. So I ended up with the correct letter in every cell, but even with massive cheating still had several W/Os. I can’t say I finished this CW; Google did. Ya got me, MD & KC. Looking at the finished CW, I suspect I could have eventually FIR honestly IF (big IF) I wanted to spend hours wrestling with it. And I didn’t want to take that much time. Terrific write-up, Lemonade, as always, thanx.

Emile O'Touri said...

Meh puzzle with its high PPP count, naticks, and cryptic cluing. I'll add what's on the menu at IHOP to my knowledge bank.

Lemonade714 said...

It is not uncommon for two posters to link the same material in their comment, but today with WILBUR CHARLES at 7:51 and WASEELEY at 11:40 choosing the same topic but very different links we can really get to know the poem and its origin. Calvinism? Maybe it is time for Hobbesism.

PK, as a semi-original blogger here, there will always be some hidden meanings in my comments many of which might titillate those who need it.

Agnes, you are very sweet to notice my dearest Charlotte.

Becky, I have never heard of any relationship between a haloed moon and the faeries coming out. I do like reading stories and "accounts" such as THE WORLD OF FAE FOLK with a section that says: "However, fairies will sometimes appear as humans, too. Imagine you come along a lemonade stand in the middle of an abandoned road tended by children. They offer you free lemonade along your trip. This might just be a regular lemonade stand, or it might be fairies in disguise.

The way to protect yourself is to pay for the lemonade. Fairies are all about free trade, so it’s rare for their spells to work if you’re actually paying for the goods you receive. The same thing goes for free donuts outside a coffee shop or even samples in the mall. In general, don’t take free food unless it’s from someone you know."

Joseph, my response to you is Kangaroos Play Cellos; Orangutans Fiddle; Gorillas Sing .

MAC/Mc distinguishes Scots, but there are the Irish...

Husker Gary said...

-Other KPCOFGS mnemonics

Ol' Man Keith said...

A very nice Friday PZL from the Dewey/Christian team!
FIR, using P+P.

I was in BARI once, getting off the Adriatic ferry from the former Yugoslavia.
My then-wife and I took a taxi to a hotel. I wasn't used to Italian money--the old Lira--and I overtipped the cabbie.
I did not know I overtipped him. I'd slipped him a bill from the back seat, a banknote decorated with the portrait of some guy with an operatic name. He immediately jumped out of the car to rush around and open the door for us.
This is when I reckoned I had overtipped, for he carried our luggage personally into the station, all the while singing our praises in a rush of Italian.
I only knew enough to understand that he was blessing us, not just us but both sets of our parents, and our children, and their children yet unborn.
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Four diagonals today, one in front and a 3-way in back.
The first (main) diagonal (NW to SE) offers a bizarre anagram (13 of 15 letters) referring to a group of Shakespearean pimps or madams who regularly take to the streets in anti-war protests.
Yes, I mean, of course, the...

"PEACENIK BAWDS"!

Ol' Man Keith said...

Hard NOT to think of "The Wonderful One-Horse Shay" whenever the word Shay pops up...

Unknown said...

"To aid and abet" a criminal ... criminal aka "hood" from hoodlum.

Edward Duarte said...

Easy peasy, now I’m HUNGRY!!!

Remember the Cliff at IHOP TV commercials,
He and I are good friends.

Jayce said...

I like the way unclefred expressed it at 1:03 PM: Jayce FIW. Google FIR. I can’t say I finished this CW; Google did.

Good wishes to you all.

Spitzboov said...

YR said "Since I never met the psychiatrist or the social worker, tonight I will hand deliver a strong but not offensive note to the nurses' station for them. If necessary, I will contact the ombudsman."
Good for you. If you have the paper work, you go after them. cc's to the County and state Medical Societies may be in order, too.
BTW - Offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder. Wouldn't hurt to make them run for their dictionary.

Best wishes for Alan to get better.

unclefred said...

Lemonade I meant to comment on your picture of “White Flyer” target discs …. which are ORANGE! I wonder why they don’t call them “Orange Flyer”? And I wonder if they are still clay?

TokenCreek said...

Waseeley: Thanks for your offer. Will email you soon.

Wilbur Charles said...

The moniker, Craig Stowe as constructor was optimistic this morning when I began my weekly adventure: The Saturday xword...

P&P through me off, Saturday's tough enough. No Naticks just tough perps. Don't give up, don't ever give up. No Dick Valvano isn't a clue.

Good luck, its 1130 EDT I've gotta catch some Zzs. Good night

WC

Unknown said...

14 across. HER is not a pronoun
It's a possessive adjective. SHE would have been the "correct" answer, but of course that didn't fit the puzzle.

OwenKL said...

I'm irritated that so many think today's theme was lame because the "i" was "hopping" around, while I and others thought it great because it was the menu items hopping over the "i"s!

waseely Re writing HTML instructions INTO HTML comments: The magic key is ampersand [l]ess[t]han semicolon. This 4-character combination &lt; is interpreted as a left angle bracket, <, but not as an HTML code character. So with that, you can explain how any link can consist of <a href=http://whatever.com> without it accidentally getting usurped by the interpreter.

WC Thanks for the "One Hoss Shay" link. The poem is a favorite I've even used for a Toastmaster's reading, but I'd never seen the illos before, nor the other Holmes poems that were with it. The metaphors in the Lily Rose poem went whooshing waay over my head, tho.