google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday May 1, 2022 Patti Varol

Advertisements

May 1, 2022

Sunday May 1, 2022 Patti Varol

Theme: "Work Clothes" - Each common phrase is humorously rephrased as if it's a work clothing fitting the person in the clue.

25A. What the housekeeper wore to work?: DUST JACKET.

27A. What the actor wore to work?: MOVIE SHORTS.

47A. What the messenger wore to work?: BICYCLE PUMPS.

68A What the truffle hunter wore to work?: MUSHROOM CAP.

91A. What the NASA scientist wore to work?: ASTEROID BELT.

111A. What the scholar wore to work?: SMARTY PANTS.

114A. What the groundskeeper wore to work?: GARDEN HOSE.

36D. What the conductor wore to work?: RAILROAD TIE.

46D. What the soda jerk wore to work?: COUNTER-SUIT.

Patti likes themes that are consistent,  narrowly-defined and humorous. She delivers what she likes. Super wacky answers and clues. Makes you LOL during the solving.

She also sticks to 144-worder for the cleanest fill. Very limited proper names.

Across: 

1. Kills time in an airport terminal, say: SHOPS. Here is the list of busiest airports in China. Lemonade stopped at #1 Guangzhou Airport a few years ago. It opened a few years after I left the city.

6. "Be there in __": A SEC.

10. Deposed Iranian ruler: SHAH.

14. __ Scotia: NOVA.

18. "Who's there?": HELLO.

19. Cuarón film nominated for 10 Oscars: ROMA. Won three.



20. As yet: TO NOW.

22. "Young Sheldon" star Armitage: IAIN. Unknown to me. He looks so happy.


23. No-frills type: ARIAL.

24. Debit slip: CHIT.

30. Look that way: SEEM TO.

31. Genesis locale: EDEN.

32. Body image, briefly: TAT.

33. Pass on, in a way: RETELL.

35. Runs: AIRS.

38. Wraparound dress: SARI.

40. Hyland of "Modern Family": SARAH. Very strong lady.



41. Bumbling one: SAD SACK.

44. "Abbott Elementary" TV network: ABC.

50. Country name on some euro coins: EIRE.

51. Jam: CLOG UP.

53. Hotmail alternative: AOL. Who else still use Hotmail besides me?

54. Writer Zora __ Hurston: NEALE. She wrote "Their Eyes Were Watching God".


56. Schlep: LUG.

57. Romance: COURT.

58. Backing: PRO.

59. Mennen product: AFTA.

61. Outlying communities: EXURBS.

63. Indian royalty: RANIS. or RAJAS.

64. Available if needed: ON CALL. Took three EMTs to get Boomer off the floor last Tuesday.

66. Back in: RETRO.

67. Routing abbr.: ATTN.

71. Big do: GALA.

74. "Shaun of the Dead" director Wright: EDGAR. He also directed "Last Night in Soho".


76. Pie choice: CHERRY.

77. Relinquishes: CEDES.

78. Quite steamy: TORRID.

80. Hazmat monitor: OSHA. And 84. E-file org.: IRS.

82. Color nuance: HUE.

83. Naysayers: ANTIS.

85. Tree surgeon's transplant: GRAFT.

87. Orch. work: SYM. Symphony.

88. Tempt: ENTICE.

89. Art Spiegelman graphic novel: MAUS. Have any of you read this book?


95. Pack it in: EAT.

96. Snobbery: ELITISM.

98. Brink: VERGE.

99. Michelle of "Crazy Rich Asians": YEOH. Her surname is spelled as "Yang' (Jerry Yang, e.g.) in Chinese. Same characters of course.

101. A/C units: BTUS.

102. Jagged: UNEVEN.

104. Tuning pin on a cello: PEG.

105. Rae who has won five Black Reel Awards: ISSA. Gimme!

109. Football Hall of Famer Jones: DEACON. From Wikipedia: Jones stated that he gave himself the nickname Deacon after joining the Rams because too many David Joneses were in the local phone book. "Football is a violent world and Deacon has a religious connotation," he told the Los Angeles Times in 1980. "I thought a name like that would be remembered."


118. Cleveland's lake: ERIE.

119. Rarely ordered meat?: STEAK. Ha, rare-ly.

120. Diaper cream ingredient: ALOE.

121. Church law: CANON.

122. Deep-dish chain, familiarly: UNO'S.

123. Shampoo brand with an Essentials line: SUAVE. I bet I'm the only one who tried this brand.



124. Touch down: LAND.

125. Dispatch: SEND.

126. Fortified wine from the Douro Valley: PORT.

127. Expressed disdain: TSKED.

Down:

1. Embarrassment: SHAME.

2. Early Judean king: HEROD.

3. "__ Kitteridge": Pulitzer winner by Elizabeth Strout: OLIVE. Wikipedia says she also wrote a sequel titled "Olive, Again".



4. Grasslands: PLAINS.

5. Lone: SOLE.

6. Really, really old-school: ARCHAIC.

7. "You're not looking __ yourself!": SO HOT.

8. Mideast title: EMIR.

9. Kim who narrates "How I Met Your Father": CATTRALL.


10. Avg.: STD.

11. Work with a real estate agent, say: HOUSE HUNT. Quite a few nice long Downs. See also 87. "Sounds awesome!": SIGN ME UP.

12. Photographer Adams: ANSEL.

13. Posh spot for a weekend getaway: HOTEL SPA. And 37. Clean vigorously: SCRUB.

14. Classic salade: NICOISE.

15. State tree of Iowa: OAK.

16. Try (for): VIE.

17. Tiny tunneler: ANT.

21. Lou Grant's TV station: WJM. From "The Mary Tyler Moore Show".

26. Somewhat: A TAD.

28. Narrow piece: STRIP.

29. Sun-cracked: SERE. Learned from doing crossword.

34. Choose, in Duck, Duck, Goose: TAP.

39. Borders on: ABUTS.

40. "Shift over a bit, will ya": SCOOCH. Can't wait to receive this Amazon belt. Right now, getting Boomer off the chair and his recliner is a daunting task for me.

42. Out: ASLEEP.

43. Brewery array: KEGS.

44. Ghana's capital: ACCRA.

45. Swell up: BLOAT.

48. Rambling accounts: YARNS.

49. __ culpa: MEA.

52. Gay dating app: GRINDR. Owned by China's Kunlun Tech for a few years.

55. Interoffice no.: EXT.

58. Rain hard: POUR.

59. Hi or bye on Lanai: ALOHA.

60. Arctic chunk: FLOE.

62. Top-priority: URGENT.

65. Many a rock formation in Bryce Canyon: ARCH.

66. Susan or Collin of country music: RAYE. I know neither.

68. Multicolored fabric: MADRAS. Named after the city Madras (now Chennai).


69. Literary alter ego: MR HYDE. And 81. Scottish writer who created 69-Down: STEVENSON.

70. Roomba target: CRUMB.

72. German camera: LEICA.

73. Plus: ASSET.

75. Play date?: GIG. 80. Frequently found in a sonnet?: OFT. 108. Did something appealing?: ASKED. Fun clues for small words.

77. Poem section: CANTO.

78. "Pencils down": TIME.

79. G-U-M rival: ORAL B.

86. To an equal degree: AS MUCH AS.

88. Melancholy poem: ELEGY.

90. Star-__: STUDDED. Met Gala tomorrow night. Eager to see what Katy Perry comes up this year.

 

92. Crank (up): REV.

93. Smelter input: ORES.

94. Chart-reading exam: EYE TEST.

97. "Ohhhhh": I SEE.

100. Short break: HIATUS.

103. "... said __ ever": NO ONE.

104. Earlier: PRIOR.

106. Weasel: SNEAK.

107. Ward (off): STAVE.

110. Mandela's org.: ANC. African National Congress.

112. River of Pisa: ARNO. It flows into the Tyrrhenian Sea

113. "Hey, c'mere!": PSST.

114. "Wonder Woman" star Gadot: GAL.

115. __ carte: ALA.

116. Mets color commentator Darling: RON.

117. Conclusion: END.


Boomer had a bad fall last Tuesday and broke his left shoulder. We're seeing an orthopedic doctor soon to see if he needs a surgery. Quite tricky for him to maneuver the walker with one hand, esp since his legs are so weak. Getting up stairs and downstairs also becomes extra hard. But Boomer is Boomer! He'll have the Monday blog ready for you guys. He's been working slowly with one hand.

One more blood draw tomorrow. Hope his white blood count is good so he can get his 5th chemo infusion on Thursday. His numbers were pretty low when he was treated at the ER at the North Memorial hospital a few days ago.

C.C.

44 comments:

Subgenius said...

CC, sorry to hear about Boomer's accident. I'll be praying he gets better soon. As for "Maus" I've read it. It's a graphic novel about the Holocaust, a tour-de-force, IMHO. As to the rest of the puzzle

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Wow, Patti has given us a fun, tough, excursion. Started right off with IDLES crossing DAVID. Looked solid. Bzzzzt. Has d-o ever mentioned that he hates it when he screws up 1a? SHOPS crossing HEROD finally showed up. Whew. Was thinking of a specific old, old school. Thought G-U-M was that department store in Moscow. Figured I wasn't doing SO BAD, but Patti showed me I wasn't doing SO HOT. This one turned into a Wite-Out workout. Nicely done, Patti. Thanx for the tour, C.C. (First thought that shampoo label read "Damage Car Shampoo")

Our inspection team made a brief stop at Guangzhou in the mid-80's. We were on our way from Hong Kong to Sanya on Hainan island. Can you picture guys who speak no Chinese trying to explain a vibration analyzer to customs agents who speak no English? I don't remember it being a particularly fancy airport. I'm sure they've built a more modern one since then.

Here's hoping Boomer gets good blood test results on Monday.

Subgenius said...

I could hardly believe there was a person named "Iain" but was pretty sure I had spelled "Nicoise" right and it turned out I had. Also, I had thought Kim's last name was "Cattrell' but "Sarah" made more sense than "Serah" so I changed it. In the end, FIR, so I'm happy.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

This puzzle was totally off my level of interest. I'm thinking its time for me to move on, at least for Friday (except for JeffWech constructions) through Sunday. There was just so many showbiz and obscure literary clues that I just lost interest. Times change, leadership changes realign the target audience, and I ain't in it.

Lemonade714 said...

White rabbit, white rabbit

I found this to be the perfect example of Patti’s puzzle plans - very heavy on tricky cluing. With sp many 4,5, and 6 letter fill it went faster than most Sundays, There was much unknown, EDGAR RAYE GRINDR and OLIVE come to mind, but also much fill from her first two weeks, NIÇOISE ISSA EIRE ERIE

Thanks for the SO about Oo and I traveling through Guangzhou airport, it was beautiful, clean and filled with shops and other diversions. There rooms to rent by the hour. Beijing airport was not special and kept very cold.

I have purchased and used many Suave shampoo products.

We pray the best for you and boomer and wish you some tall strong help

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Anon T, Jayce et al

FLN about the "italics" issue in "comments"

Normally there is a warning that there is an open "italics or bold" symbol when you click on the "preview" button. Even if you by try to bypass and click "print" the comment won't publish till the error is corrected.

A week ago my "preview" button disappeared I only have a "publish" button. It must be that clicking that button prints anything, errors or not, explaining what happened yesterday

My comment section has changed. I have a line instead of a box and have to pick my screenname from a drop down list

Any one have any suggestions?

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

For me, there is usually no in-between feelings about Sunday grids; either they are a slog with a mediocre theme and laden with unknown proper names and three letter words, or they are a pleasant solve with a fun theme, cute word play, and a minimum of difficult proper names and three letter words. Today’s offering is most definitely in the pleasant solve category. My only unknowns were Edgar and Raye and both were easily perped. I don’t think I had any w/os at all. I loved the theme answers, particularly Mushroom Cap. I finished in 28 minutes which is well below my leisurely Sunday solve time.

Thanks, Patti, for a truly enjoyable puzzle and for making me smile rather than frown and thanks, CC, for the usual inside information and commentary. Best wishes to Boomer for his upcoming medical tests and challenges. I hope he gets some relief from his shoulder pain.

Happy May Day. 💐

YooperPhil said...

I really enjoyed today’s puzzle as it showcased the talents of our new editor, very clever theme with some fresh clueing, not easy by any means as I fairly well struggled to a FIR w/o help in 42:45. Took an A-run to get my last fill, the H in the YEOH/HIATUS crossing, and I was unfamiliar with IAIN (my mantra on that is ~ never name your kid something that can’t be found on a gift shop key ring). All in all, a fun Sunday solve with a Saturday difficulty, thank you Patti Varol for the challenge, and I wish you success in your new position!

C.C. ~~ thanks for your insightful expo today! So sorry to hear of Boomer’s fall and broken shoulder, praying that everything takes a turn for the better soon for you and him. So good to know that with all that’s going on, he’s still on for tomorrow’s blog, and I will look forward to that!

TTP said...

Test

KS said...

FIW. Stupid mistake. Put Coma instead of Roma and didn't notice the error of 6 down.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Proper names and obscure movies, TV shows and books gave me fits
-C_TTRALL/ROM_ was a lucky guess, so I got ‘er done.
-ROMA looks like the type of movie that is keeping us out of theaters
-I live in an EXURB (pop. 30,000) that is twenty minutes west of Omaha (pop. 500,000)
-HGTV foreign HOUSE HUNTERS are stunned foreign housing is so much smaller
-Early arrivals for basketball games are ASKED to SCHOOCH together to make room for late arrivals
-I was happy to learn Robert Louis Stevenson was Scottish
-G-U-M made me think of the big Moscow department store
-Shows that claimed to be STAR-STUDDED can take a lot of license with that phrase
-Gotta run.

Irish Miss said...

Subgenius @ 6:39 ~ I forgot to compliment you on your new, cute, and cuddly avatar. 🐨

CrossEyedDave said...

Just lurking on this busy busy MayDay...

Ray-o
I dunno?
My preview is the same as always.
Could you have changed something in your blogger account?

Anyone?

TTP said...


Working on it.

Dave, are you using an iPhone to comment ? What is your device.

ATLGranny said...

Well, I was not a SMARTY PANTS today, getting a FIW with one wrong square. And it took lots of time and WOs, unlike you early posters! I had plenty of questions, but my downfall was leaving RANaS crossing GRaNDR, an unknown to me. The entries I had questioned were fine and I did catch one error while proofreading at IRS and ORAL B. Like DO and HG, I was thinking of G-U-M as the department store so OoRAL didn't worry me. In spite of my struggle, I enjoyed filling the puzzle, Patti. Thanks!

C.C , thanks for clarifying some of the clues I wasn't sure of. So sorry to hear of your recent troubles with Boomer's fall and broken arm. I am sure you are worn out! I hope he improves enough to continue his treatment and that you get some help. Best wishes!

Ray O and TTP, I noticed recently when I went to post that the comment area of the mobile phone version had changed, showing, as you said, a line instead of a box and no preview option. My uncuddly avatar is displayed at the front of the line. When I start to post, a box appears. Still no preview option though the information below that section hasn't changed and still mentions previewing. I am using an android phone to read and post comments.

We saw the extremely quiet ROMA in a multiplex theater with the movie Bohemian Rhapsody blasting away next door. It was unfortunate since ROMA is a good movie and is set in Mexico where we spent some time.

Hope everyone has a relaxing first day of May!


ATLGranny said...

Actually I just saw no box appeared but the line stayed when I pasted in my comment. I preview before I copy and paste. No problem.

ATLGranny said...

Oops, just noticed an error I had in my comment: OoRAL/OoALB. How embarrassing! More attention needed. Lucky I got ORAL B at all.

Malodorous Manatee said...

This puzzle was a bit more difficult than is typical for a Sunday. Eventually, everything got worked out. The most difficult section proved to be the NW.

Jinx, your comment caused me to recall this quote from the movie "Top Secret":

"Things change, people change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate."

CC, we are all hoping for a good blood count result.

TTP said...


Thank you, ATLGranny, for your input, and also for clarifying. That was very helpful.


Vidwan827 said...

Thank you Patti Varol for a very challenging Sunday puzzle, which I got done .... with a few lookups. I ust wanted to get the task done, under my belt, in any which way. Some of the clues were waay over my head. Eventually, I may have to stop doing Sunday croee words, they are getting too difficult for me ....

Thank you CC for all the clarifications on your blog.
My best wishes and prayers for you and Boomer, are there every night. It must be especially daunting when one's spouse is bigger / taller/ and heavier than oneself. Maybe you might consider moving all your essentials to the first floor of your house, like I have... bed, bath and kaboodle ....

I too, have had some minor problems with low White Blood cell counts, in my twice weekly blood draws. In 2 cases, I was injected with Neupogen ( Filgrastim ) and that seemed to solve the problem temporarily. There is also an injection of Nucala, available.

Of course, the cause of my low WBC count, was quite different from Boomers, and you will want to consult with your hematologist / oncologist on the specific therapy.

FWIW, the iron supplements in food, may help with low Red Blood cell counts, haematocrit, but dont do much for increasng the WBC Counts.

White Rabbit, white rabbit for the first of May ....
Have a good rest of the Weekend, you all.

waseeley said...

Ray - O @8:17 Don't like the new UI for commenting by smartphone either. They've not yet screwed up the UI on desktops (BTW kudus to you if you do your elaborate comment s on a cell). But when programmers aren't busy fixing bugs, they're often busy creating others. I'd suggest creating long comments offline w/a text editor and then cutting and pasting.

Picard said...

Boomer and CC I am so sorry to hear of your latest medical challenge. Good that you can stay focused on recovery and on continuing to go about daily life at Crossword Corner and beyond.

I very much enjoyed the creativity and execution of the theme. I still have to grumble about the excess number of proper names and argot. For example: Crossed mess of GRINDR, MADRAS, EDGAR and ROMA, CATTRALL, SARAH and CANTO/YEOH.

SUAVE ESSENTIALS has been my shampoo for decades. Low cost, doesn't require "rinse and repeat" and a mild fragrance.

I have shared my photos of ARCHes and BRYCE CANYON before.

Today I will share this photo inside the Carlsberg BREWERY in Copenhagen.

My father worked as a research biologist for Carlsberg. When he first got the job, Carlsberg generously let us live in an apartment inside the BREWERY until we found a house. I will never forget the delightful fragrance of yeast in the BREWERY!

From Yesterday:
Thanks for the explanation of the italics mystery. It is still a mystery how it got through.

From Friday:
Vidwan Thank you for the video of the Indian lady singing Sufi songs.

Wilbur Charles said...

Prior to reading write-up and posts there's this

The outlook at Denny's COUNTER was dismal Sunday morn
California was all white and Wilbur's visage was forlorn.
So he left and got into the car when he got that familiar "Hello"
Though it wasn't urgent ol' Willie knew he'd better go.
As he returned to Denny's there staring him in the face
Was the answer to 46 Down.
Who said "There but for the Grace.."

But no higher power can help with that dating APP poser
Was it Pinterest? Too long; aha Tinder! Uh uh. Eureka it's GRINDR.
That obscure African Capital, that Abbott Elementary Station?
Not CBS nor PBS aha ACCRA, ABC and ATTN

Oh somewhere in Sun City there's grumbling, forebodings dire
But someone is singing and smiling - for Wilbur has FIR

Misty said...

How exciting to get a Patti Varol puzzle on a Sunday, along with your always helpful and delightful commentary, C.C. Many thanks to you both, and so happy to hear that Boomer will still be doing the blog tomorrow in spite of his sad problems. You and Boomer are in my prayers every day, C.C..

Got off to a great start with SHOPS, HELLO, and EDEN, which gave me HEROD and soon all the rest.

I guess if your HOUSE HUNT doesn't go well, you'll be lucky to stay in a HOTEL with a SPA.
When you do get a house, be sure to get a GARDEN HOSE for when the weather gets SO HOT and TORRID.

Wonder if the RANIs and the EMIR and the SHAH and the woman in a SARI are going to get together for a party with some PORT, and an appetizer tray with MUSHROOM, CHERRY, OLIVEs, and other condiments?

I wouldn't mind joining that party: SIGN ME UP.

Have a great weekend and a good week coming up, everybody.





Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk say...

What a minute... Did Rich reject this puzzle more than once? ;-)

Love the theme Patti!

C.C. - Pop missed AOL and went (and stayed) with Yahoo.
Yes, I read MAUS. DW was assigned it in her Graphic Novels class. The subject is heavy.
Continued love to you and Boomer. Boomer, stay off the steps!
//Maternal Grand (weak from chemo) kept going to the basement after Dr. (& everyone!) said don't. She tumbled on the fifth step and broke so many bones -- she never recovered. Please, Boomer, stay on one floor in the house.

Jinx - just the weekends, right? I enjoy your daily posts.
==
There's no ALOE in Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Works wonders on diaper rash.

HOUSE HUNT - the market is nuts right now. We are about to put a bid on a house for $25k over ask. It's a downsizer. We'll sell our house, bank the cash, and wait 'till the market cools down and there's more inventory so we can buy the home we love / die in. Hopefully, this "downsizer" will make a nice rental property in the future.

Oh, the reason for downsizer? DW is sick of her commute (up to 1.5 hr each way) and the Girls are no longer in local schools.

Picard - Nice pic. DW hated the yeast & hops smell when I brewed beer in our apartment.

I'll keep lurking until 'morrow.

Cheers, -T

Subgenius said...

Thanks, Irish Miss, for noticing my new avatar. I wanted a creature that looked both primitive and intelligent. I wasn't going for "cuddly" but that's a nice by-product, I guess

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Liked the clever & amusing theme, Patti, thanks! But the puzzle in whole was a difficult challenge which took me an hour, nine + minutes. Like Jinx, I'm afraid some of us are going to be phased out.

Last fill was the ORALB/BTUS/IRS/MAUS section crossed with COUNTER SUIT. Hand up for thinking G U M was a department store but Macy's turned red.

ALSO DNK: IAIN, SARAH, EXURBS, EDGAR, YEOH, DEACON, OLIVE, CATTRALL, NICOISE, WJM, ACCRA, GRINDR, ANC, GAL, RON. Yay, red-letters!

I did know Collin RAYE. Years ago he had an arena concert on my birthday and a bunch of us went to celebrate. I had never heard OF him before that, but the concert was very enjoyable. The opening act was really good, and the female singer later became more famous than he was.

C.C., thank you for a great expo. So sorry to hear of Boomer's injury. So painful for both of you. Hope you can find some good help with him, so you don't wear yourself out completely. Praying for you both.

Wilbur Charles said...

WC for Owen

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle a lot. I laughed out loud at some of the funny clues, especially BICYCLE PUMPS. I love the clue/answer "Said NOONE ever"! Like desper-otto I had IDLES and DAVID at first. Having RAJAS instead of RANIS in the west caused some delay there, too. Came within an inch of failing to solve EDGAR GRINDR and GIG. Overall it was a great pleasure spending 55 minutes playing (not working) this puzzle today.

Jeez, I always thought Michelle YEOH's surname was "YO". I enjoyed learning it is not.

So sorry that Boomer fell and broke a bone. Sending good thoughts and hopes that he heals well and regains his health.

I have tried to post here using my iPhone but the posts just disappear. Interestingly my iPad works just fine. But I do most of my computing on a desktop PC; my eyes benefit from the large screen. And the sound is 1000% better too.

One of my cousins still uses hotmail.

I like the word SCOOCH.

Sorry you are losing interest, Jinx. I hope you soon regain your enthusiasm.

Happy May to you all.

Wilbur Charles said...

I just hit paste instead of copy, lost a long commentary.

D-O, summed it up "a fun, tough, excursion."

WC

Picard said...

Jinx I agree with you. I do hope Patti Varol reads your comment and others and reduces the flood of proper names and argot crossing each other. I am OK with these things if there is a way to get them through perps that are actual words in the language.

AnonT Thanks for the appreciation of my BREWERY photo and my happy memory of the fragrance. I am sorry that your DW did not appreciate that yeast aroma which delighted me. Maybe it was the hops rather than the yeast?

Good luck with the HOUSE HUNTING. I am grateful for what we have and hope not to do it again.

I should note that the BREWERY photo and all other photos from my father were taken with his ancient all-manual LEICA.

CrossEyedDave said...

Sorry for the delay TTP,
Just saw your message.

I am using an iPad with a safari browser.

I was trying to get my 25 year old weed wacker, and an even older blower working for spring ,clean up.
Yeah yeah, I know, "everyone" is telling me to get those new fangled battery lawn gadgets.
But there is something satisfying about fixing a broken piece of junk, taking apart the carbs, cleaning the spark plugs,
And seeing something that was definitely "dead" roar back into life again...

CrossEyedDave said...

P.s., for those "old timers" out there that like to fix things...

I just saw an amazing tutorial on how those 2 stroke box style carburetors work.
I mean, I knew how they work, but never had a guided tour through all its nooks and crannies.

here ya go

Irish Miss said...

Subgenius @ 2;27 ~ I must credit Anon T for mentioning your new avatar last night. Otherwise, I never would have known about it as I normally don’t check avatars. 🐨

TTP said...



Thank you, Dave and Jayce for your input. I have what I need. Thank you. I appreciate it. Wilbur, I already had your input as well.


I finally got a chance to read C.C.s review. Well done. Boomer, I hope you can get some relief soon, that your results are good, and that you can get that shoulder set.

As for the puzzle, well...

I'm still trying to recognize Patti's "voice". It's not that Rich was predictable, but I feel he had a rotation of standard clues for certain words. Perhaps to help solvers along. I don't know for certain, but there were times I would think, "that's Rich's clue".

Patti is clearly a clever wordsmith too, and I think she's thrown some curve balls into the mix. Only the constructors themselves and Patti would know who had what. Today was a good opportunity to learn Patti's voice as she was both constructor and editor.

So Jinx, don't throw in the towel on the late week puzzles just yet.

I had a few laughs along the way this morning, but it was so long ago. I know that a had another one letter type FIW. I hit the L key instead of the K key in STEAK and never noticed.

Dash T, congrats. Your wife is tired of commuting 1.5 hours in that Houston traffic ? So, you are moving what, 15 miles north of where you live now ? :>) Just kidding. Good luck.

TTP said...


C.C. has the Sunday crossword at USA Today: Colorful Characters

Wilbur Charles said...

CC and/or Boomer. I hope you have thoroughly researched whatever help the VA can give you re. Caregiver, Home improvements etc. DAV and your VSO are sources. There's others too.

One thought on today's xword. I noticed different strokes etc re. Pop-cul familiarity. IM fe. really knows that area and I thought the Sports clues might be obscure too.

WC

Misty said...

Wilbur, you deserve an especially cheerful "Hello" this morning because your verse on today's puzzle is terrific. I hope Wilbur's return to Denny's counter turned out well, and it was especially fun to see assorted items like ABC, ACCRA, and especially the bizarre GRINDR. I'm just so sorry you lost your long commentary--I would love to have read it.

TTP said...




WOW !

C.C. also has the Sunday Universal crossword !!! Athletic Division

D4E4H said...

Good  evening Cornerites.

Rabbit, rabbit!

Carol and I are way behind in our solving, and I haven't posted since March 1st.  We enjoy completing each puzzle, but can't seem to stay awake long enough to do anything.

Ðavið

Anonymous said...

Written AND edited by Varol?? No wonder there are so many "iffies" in this drudge!! Tossed it after two hours of struggle. Silly, silly, silly. I'm truly getting tired of quirky puzzles more interested in "cuteness" than being accurate in word knowledge.

Anonymous T said...

D4E4H - so happy to read you & Carol again!!!

As far as the back-log... Dump them an move on :-)

Hope all is well. Cheers, -T

Anonymous T said...

Trying to wind down after reading contracts and signing the rest of my life away say...

Fans of woodworking... (Splynter, if you're out there)
We need more toys, er, tools. Check this dovetail cutting board.

G' Nite, -T

Anonymous said...

C'mon!! You certainly do NOT "choose" in "Duck, Duck, Goose" by a "TAP"! You tap EVERYONE...you choose by saying "GOOSE"