google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday May 29, 2022 David Alfred Bywaters

Advertisements

May 29, 2022

Sunday May 29, 2022 David Alfred Bywaters

Theme: "Day Trading" - The first letters of each paired theme entries are swapped.

23. First the chardonnay, then the merlot, then the cabernet?: TASTER PLAN. Master plan.

25. Invisible walls?: MIME LIMITS. Time limits. Monday/Tuesday trade.

54. Inept caner's resource?: WICKER TAPE. Ticker tape.

57. Meteorology lectures?: TALKS ON AIR. Talks on air. Tuesday & Wednesday trade.

91. Bungalow owner's challenge to a roofer?: THATCH THIS. Watch this.

95. Makes doubly sure everyone's in on the joke?: WINKS TWICE. Thinks twice. Wednesday and Thursday trade.

124. Appreciative sound from the alumni luxury box?: FUNDER CLAP. Thunder clap.

128. Water cooler?: THIRST BASE. First base. Thursday & Friday trade.

Today we have eight 10-letter theme entries. Two of them are placed in the same row so the theme is better displayed. The starting letters are traded orderly, from Monday to Friday. So elegantly done!

David also took advantage of the light themeage and gave us a very clean grid.

Across:

1. Prepare for parking or driving: PAVE.

5. Stared open-mouthed: GAPED. Amazing what Michelob Ultra did for this beer guy. I thought of our Gary and Big Easy.

10. Liabilities: DEBTS.

15. Did laps: SWAM.

19. Mountain goat: IBEX. Look at his curly horns.

20. Not out of contention yet: ALIVE.

21. Word for a lei-person?: ALOHA. Ha ha.

22. "Hmm ... I doubt that": UH NO.

27. Be there for: ATTEND.

28. Sandler of "Uncut Gems": ADAM.

30. Brewpub pour: BEER. Free beer for that Michelob Ultra Guy.

31. Ran across: MET.

32. Mystical gathering: SEANCE. Also French for "session".


33. Felt hats: FEDORAS.

36. Has a good cry: SOBS.

38. Vocal quality: TONE.

40. Land: ALIGHT.

42. Imitate a horse: NEIGH.

45. Place for a deep-tissue massage: SPA. I tried a neck massager a while ago. Even the lightest setting is too strong for me.



48. Hands out cards: DEALS.

51. Unwrapped with enthusiasm: TORE AT.

53. Land parcel: ACRE.

59. Voting no: ANTI.

60. Fleet parts: SHIPS.

62. Have followers: LEAD.

63. British co.: LTD. And 70. WSJ headline topic: IPO.

64. Fair shelters: BOOTHS.

67. Cookbook offering: RECIPE.

71. Watches on Hulu, say: STREAMS.

73. Like farmers' market veggies: LOCAL. Ours opens at July 6th this year. Thanks to the Hmong farmers, I'm able to enjoy purple yams every fall.


74. River through Reno: TRUCKEE.

79. __ and vigor: VIM.

80. Intervene: STEP IN.

82. Quick post office run, say: ERRAND.

83. Subj. for a non-native speaker: ESL.

86. Ear-related: OTIC.

88. "Time is money" or "money is power": MAXIM.

90. Greek Cupid: EROS.

98. World Baseball Classic team: CUBA. See more here.

99. Came off as: SEEMED.

101. Chopper blade: ROTOR.

102. Org. followed by "puckheads": NHL. Guessable.

103. Outkast hit single: HEY YA.

105. Touch-screen gestures: SWIPES.

107. Puts into words: SAYS.

109. CrossFit sets: REPS.

111. Embassy employee: ATTACHE.

114. Snap, crackle, and pop: NOISES.

118. Sashimi choice: AHI. Been ages since I had sashimi.


120. Ticket remnant: STUB.

122. Revived villain in Domino's ads, with "the": NOID. Is this gimme for you?

123. Food critic Hines whose name is on cake mixes: DUNCAN.

130. Midrange voice: ALTO.

131. Wide-awake: ALERT.

132. Chocolate source: CACAO. I saw mole sauce at Aldi. Never tried it.

133. Region: AREA.

134. Cheers: RAHS.

135. Lasagna staple: PASTA.

136. Part of a protected URL: HTTPS. Like our blog.

137. Office surface: DESK.

Down:

1. Fillable flatbreads: PITAS. Pink turnip slices. Pickled together with beets.


 

2. Taper off: ABATE.

3. Roman goddess of the hearth: VESTA.

4. Range: EXTENT.

5. Person who makes beds?: GARDENER. Garden bed.

6. European mountain: ALP.

7. Rice dish: PILAF.

8. Get around: EVADE.

9. "Gracias" response: DE NADA.

10. Beaver creation: DAM.

11. Pharmaceutical giant __ Lilly: ELI.

12. 2019 film starring Charlize Theron as Megyn Kelly: BOMBSHELL.


13. "Good News" rapper Megan __ Stallion: THEE.

14. BOGO events: SALES.

15. Dim __: SUM. Har gow (shrimp dumplings) are my favorites.


16. Amusingly capricious: WHIMSICAL. Lovely entry.

17. Upfront stake: ANTE.

18. More than half: MOST.

24. Provide privacy protection, in a way: ENCODE.

26. Remove wrinkles from: IRON.

29. Slip some skin: MOLT.

34. Laugh-a-minute sort: RIOT.

35. Taj Mahal site: AGRA.

37. "The Martian" actor Sean: BEAN. Also in "Game of Thrones".

39. Has for lunch: EATS.

41. "Here!": TAKE IT.

43. Determination: GRIT.

44. Do the impossible with cats, proverbially: HERD.

45. DNA lab items: SWABS.

46. Wine grape: PINOT.

47. One in a cast: ACTOR.

49. Cowardly Lion portrayer: LAHR (Bert)

50. Pitches to customers: SPIELS.

52. Term with a check mark on an airport sign: TSA PRE.

55. Beach toy for a windy day: KITE.

56. Florida theme park with a geodesic dome: EPCOT.

58. Poorly ventilated theatre phenomenon: ODOUR. Noticed the "theatre" spelling.

61. Command to an attack dog: SIC EM.

65. Utter chaos: HAVOC.

66. Metalworkers: SMITHS.

68. Green-skinned tropical fruit: PAPAW. Never had it. Looks like a papaya.

69. Cure-all mixture: ELIXIR.

72. Wallops, quaintly: SMITES.

75. All hands on deck: CREW.

76. "Pieces of Her" novelist Slaughter: KARIN.


77. "How to Get Away With Murder" actor Alfred __: ENOCH. Unknown to me. Wikipedia says he's a British-Brazilian actor.


78. Unsuccessful Ford model: EDSEL.

81. Spanish boy: NINO.

83. Mark for good: ETCH.

84. Actress Elisabeth: SHUE.

85. Maze: LABYRINTH.

87. Pills for pets, often: CHEWABLES.

89. NYSE, NASDAQ, etc.: MKTS.

92. Diggs of "Empire": TAYE. He's Winston in "How Stella Got Her Groove Back".


93. "There's no one else": I'M IT.

94. Labor Day mo.: SEPT.

96. Scoundrels: SO AND SOS.

97. Experiment with: TRY OUT. Picard, I love all kinds of persimmons, esp these dried ones with white powder on. They're specialties of my hometown Xi'an. So pricey on Amazon.

100. Academic VIP: DEAN.

104. Cathedral alcove: APSE.

106. Single-malt pour: SCOTCH. How I miss Argyle!

108. Storied sailor: SINBAD. Sinbad the Sailor from Baghdad.

110. Backpack holder: STRAP. You won't believe the amount of stuff in my backpack.

112. Drum kit cymbals: HI-HAT.

113. Official mandate: EDICT.

115. Induce fear in: SCARE.

116. Makes less harsh: EASES. Boomer has been taking Tylenol for pain control the past few days. Alas, it can't compare to Oxycodone, which is not allowed due to the impending surgery.

117. Be sly: SNEAK.

118. Way off: AFAR.

119. Polynesian dance: HULA.

121. Golden St. campus: UCLA.

125. Haircuts: DOS.

126. Fine print, e.g.: ART.

127. Sch. group: PTA.

129. Flo Milli's music genre: RAP.

 

We've been through one more round of prep the past few days. Two more showers and two 10-minute surgical scrubs tomorrow, then we'll be ready for Boomer's re-scheduled surgery on Tuesday morning (May 31) at the VA hospital in Minneapolis. Been a painful delay. We're eager to get this in our rear-view mirror.

C.C.

30 comments:

OwenKL said...


DNF. Problems with VESTA, TAYE, And the worst at WINKS TWICE. And their respective crosses, at least 2 on each. I had Ceres for VESTA -- they have the two largest asteroids named for them. TAYE was just straight unknown and unguessable. And all I had on the third was .inkst...e and a clue I couldn't solve.

The theme was good, and looks like it would be hard to put together. And for once I noticed the title, and wouldn't have been able to solve it without that hint.

THATCH THIS could be changed from WATCH or MATCH.

If you travel LOCAL or AFAR,
My heart will know where you are --
I've got a bug on your phone
For when you're not at home.
I'm your Dad, not a stalker by far!

You're in love, your heart WALKS ON AIR!
No woman was thought so lovely and fair!
But he's only seen you in pants!
Should your legs catch his glance --
He'll see when you WALK, SO NAIR

{B+, B+.}

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Oh, no. I was certain it was the CUBS and refused to change it. That guy's name could'a been TSYE. Bzzzzt. Cute theme, which even d-o managed to figure out. It would've been easier to suss if he'd read the puzzle title. D'oh. After finishing, the elegant days progression became obvious. Nicely done, D.A.B. and C.C.

ENOCH: Made me think of Nancy Crampton Brophy, the woman who wrote How To Murder Your Husband. She was convicted of murdering her husband.

SINBAD: Shouldn't it be badly?

DUNCAN: He died about the time I started high school. Definitely an oldie goldie. Do they still put his name on products?

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Many thanks, D.A.B., for a challenging but enjoyable puzzle. Thanks, C.C., for an enjoyable expo.

Thought the clever theme was amusing but had to go back & find the title & study a bit to get the circled letters part after finish.

DNK CUBA, NOID, VESTA, THEE, BEAN, KARIN, ENOCH, SHUE or TAYE but they perped in easily for me. TRUCKEE, I knew but couldn't remember until I had TR & K. I grew up with mostly DUNCAN Hines cakes at our house. My mother was a big fan of his for some reason. She spoke of him with awe.

WINKS TWICE tick!led me. I winked at a shy old boy across the room at a banquet once. His wife saw that and looked angry so I winked a second time at her and she relaxed & laughed. Whew!

KS said...

FIW. Took some WAGs on some proper names and failed. Taye, Karin, Enoch, to name a few. Got the theme, circles not needed.

Subgenius said...

I note the many proper names, especially the egregious side-by-side placement of " Karin" and "Enoch." However, I sussed the gimmick pretty quickly, and ended up being able to FIR, so I'm happy.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

DNF, googling HEY YA. How could I not know all the Outkast "songs"? After all, they spell about as well as I do. (I knew LABYRINTH right off the bat, but couldn't have spelled it had my life depended on it.)

WHIMSICAL made me think of a sweet little shop in downtown Frederick, MD called "Flights of Fancy". They sold everything from kites to kaleidoscopes. Gone but not forgotten.

Didn't like the clue for ROTOR. A "chopper blade" is just part of the ROTOR assembly, it ain't a ROTOR.

Hand up for being a puckhead. Of my three favorite teams, the Capitals are out, the Lightning are in, and the Hurricanes play Game 7 Monday night in Raleigh.

I'll have to check out BOMBSHELL. I'm a big Megyn Kelly fan. Smart, nonpartisan, and fair. I would love to know how much she got for her settlement for sexual harassment by Fox News execs.

It bothers me when my Visa receipt says "card SWIPEd." No, it really is my card!

Good start to Sunday. A little DAB will do ya. And thanks to CC for the fun review. Please let us know how Boomer does Tuesday.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-FUNDERCLAP was a stretch but if that’s my biggest issue today…
-HEY_A/TA_E was the only hint of a Natick but I guessed correctely
-Growing up I was asked to “forgive us our DEBTS” now it’s “trespasses”
-Debunking SEANCES was an obsession for Harry Houdini
-Farmer’s Market “LOCAL” sweet corn this time of year is grown in Texas and shipped her
-Divorced women throwing their wedding rings into the TRUCKEE appears to be myth
-Anyone else remember, “Pickin’ up PAW PAWS, Put ‘em in my pocket”
-In another life, I’ll understand the tolerance for the filth, misogyny and violence in RAP “music”

Big Easy said...

Good morning. Finally, after tripping before the finish line two days in a row I FIR today. caught the first letter switch immediately at (M)TASTER PLAN and (T)MIME LIMITS. Two areas took the most time to complete. The TSA PRE check (which DW gets but not me) took a V8 moment after I noticed the British spelling of 'theatre' and guessed ODOUR- new to me.

But the SHUE, TAYE, HEY YA, CUBA- all four unknowns- and the correct spelling of LABYRINTH took about five minutes to put together. Don't know who either SHUE or TAYE are and have no knowledge of the song. The YY took a leap of faith to put on the paper. Like d-otto I put CUBS first but changed it to fill the unknown TAYE.

NOID, BOMBSHELL or Megyn Kelly, VESTA, THEE or any rapper including Flo Milli Vanilli, Sean BEAN (ean pronounced differently will confuse any ESL student), KARIN Slaughter, Alfred ENOCH- unknowns those were filled by perps.

C.C.- sorry for the delays on Boomer' appts. Expect more because there are three federal holidays in the next five weeks. Half of the gov. workers will take probably take either the Friday before or the Tuesday after each of them so they can get a four day weekend.

waseeley said...

I DNF and just came to see what I'd missed, not planning to comment. But when I saw that the constructor was DAB, one of my favorites, I decided to stay and read C.C.'s excellent review. Most of my undoing was missing the spelling of THEATRE and thus filling ODORS instead of ODOUR. That said I'm not sure I would have known TRUCKEE, although had I gotten ERRAND, another DNF, I might have gotten ENOCH and KARIN, and thus TRUCKEE. As Eric Berne would say "If only ...".

But these still wouldn't have been enough for a FIR as, like D-O, I had CUBS instead instead of CUBA and DNK any OUTKAST songs.

Nevertheless I liked the puzzle and (most of) the clues and all the sparkly fill. Also I got all the themers, but had given up before trying to figure out what the circles had to do with anything. I await AnonymousDNLC's comments on that.

A few favs:

1A PAVE. Subtle, but I got it with perps and it made sense.

71A STREAMS. We pretty much STREAM everything, but we don't have a HULU account, just ACORN, BRITBOX, PBS, and PRIME.

70A LOCAL. For the past 40 years, we got all our LOCAL vegetables from our back yard, but as I get older we are phasing that out. Local and organic veggies are now common in supermarkets and DIY is no longer worth the time, effort, and expense.

102A NHL. I dont' follow hockey, but like C.C. pointed out this was guessable.

118A AHI. C.C. with all the work you do, you owe yourself some SASHIMI. You go girl!

122 NOID. DNK, but got on perps. Teri makes all of our pizzas from scratch and you can't beat them.

5D GARDENER. Used to be one.

29D MOLT. Another clever clue.

27D BEAN. DNK Sean was the star of "The Martian". I know him from LOTR, where he was martyred to save the other members of the Fellowship. I'll have to see if I can STREAM the film.

68D PAPAW. They're sold on the truck farms of Maryland's Eastern Shore. They have a creamy flesh and are quite delicious. They also have big seeds, which I plan to plant someday.

Cheers,
Bill

C.C. we continue to pray for both Boomer and you.

David Alfred Bywaters said...

I constructed this puzzle: I'm grateful to C.C. for the expert explanation and annotation.

I was as stumped as were some of you by some of the proper names: NOID, KARIN, and, as clued, BEAN and ENOCH. Fortunately I was able to infer them from the crossings!

The lower middle left was refilled by the editor as follows:

83A ASL - ESL (better)
78A TUBA - CUBA (a wash--though as clued unknown to me)
103A STYLE - HEYYA (a common word replaced by a proper name)
109A REPS - RELS (better)
83D ATTS - ETCH (much better)
84D SHUT - SHUE (a common word replaced buy a proper name)
92D TALE - TAYE (a common word replaced buy a proper name)
104 ELSE - APSE (worse)

And elsewhere, as with BEAN, the editor has clued common words as proper names drawn from popular culture. Now, I myself prefer common words to proper names and will endure the occasional ATTS to include them. But in this I seem to be an outlier; the editor of course caters to the mainstream. Far be it from me to complain!

But if anyone wants puzzles where proper names are shunned as much as possible (and often that turns out to be not as much as one would prefer)--try the weekly puzzles on my website: davidalfredbywaters.com

I take full responsibility for VESTA.

David Alfred Bywaters

Lucina said...

Hola!

Wow! I finished a Sunday puzzle in quick time and before I have to leave for church. Thank you, DAB and you also, C.C.

Nothing stands out too much except perhaps (w)TALKS ON AIR. I also liked (W)THATCH THIS. (W)TALKS ON AIR is also good.

Never heard of KARIN or ENOCH but have crossed the TRUCKEE.

In the past I've used many DUNCAN HINES cake mixes but not in a very long time. Cakes are off my list.

Sigh. I misspelled LABYRINTH and did not know HEY YA.

Time to go. This afternoon I want to go see the movie, Downton Abbey. I'm a big fan!

Have a sunny day, everyone!

Lucina said...

I like both Elisabeth SHUE and TAYE Diggs.

waseeley said...

DAB@11:12AM I second that. David's website is a real treasure.

Monkey said...

DAB, thank you for your explanation. Like Big Easy I was stumped by TAYE CUBA SHUE HEY YA all in one corner. Otherwise I really liked the puzzle. It took just the right amount of effort for a Sunday. I was lucky enough to notice the theme immediately, but, but, I did not notice the day initials. Thank you CC for the reveal.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

DAB said: "But in this I seem to be an outlier; the editor of course caters to the mainstream." Actually, I think Patti is trying to rechannel the stream. But I don't think she mangled your fine effort too much. We'll se about tomorrow's puzzle. Mondays have been hard as calculus lately, thanks to pop-culture junk.

HG - We sang Pickin’ up PAW PAWS, Puttin' ‘em in a basket. We used to put buckeyes in our pocket for luck.

ATLGranny said...

I'm in the FIW club today with the same problems of entering CUBs, spelling LABaRINTH wrong and not knowing the Outcast single or Diggs' first name. Natickland for me. But I got the rest of the puzzle and theme of switching first letters, thank you circles! I admit I didn't notice the days of the week, failing to see the word before Trading in the puzzle title. My excuse is it was on the line above, after today's date.

Anyway, many thanks to DAB for the puzzle and the post with extra information about the changes. You confirmed our suspicions.

And thanks, C.C. for reviewing and illustrating the puzzle today. We sympathize with your needing to repeat the preparations for Boomer's surgery and hope for good results tomorrow! We'll be thinking of you all and waiting for an update from you.

FLN, AnonT, things are moving fast for you now. Glad to hear about your finding tile that works for your floor repair.
Misty, so sorry to hear about your father. Seeing him resting just before has to be a help.

And the weekend goes on and on. Hope you all are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Once again too many proper names. Took a long time to understand the theme even after I read the explanation. Otherwise a fun Sunday puzzle.

Picard said...

Before starting my comments, I have to comment on the puzzle from last Monday May 23. We had:

"Everything Everywhere All at Once" star Michelle: YEOH

Seemed utterly obscure. Until I Googled the film and discovered it is currently playing in theaters and getting good reviews. DW and I went to see it last night. First movie we have seen in a theater since COVID.

It is very innovative and provocative. It is a fairly low budget science fiction story about jumping between the possible timelines that might have been your life in parallel universes. Michelle YEOH is brilliant in her role. Always good to see a popular film starring Asians in a way that steps outside the stereotypical boxes.

Has anyone else watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once"?

Yes, hand up for disliking the explosion of proper names in the puzzle with our new editor. But in this case it led me to a positive experience.

Picard said...

CC I am honored that you remembered my question about persimmons and took the time to answer today. I find dried fruit too sweet, but thank you for the answer about your tastes! I love the fresh crisp Fuyu persimmons we get here in season!

As for today's puzzle, I was very impressed with the theme and the construction with two layers of complexity. I got the TRADING of the circled letters. But I had to wait until I was completely finished to figure out the DAY aspect to it. Way cool!

David Alfred Bywaters Thank you for stopping by! Way interesting to see how those utterly impossible proper names were inserted that were never part of your intention. In my humble opinion this is not nice to constructor or solver.

That Evil Natick Cluster in the West was impenetrable. I put CUBS, TSAE, HIYAA, SHUI which seems absolutely as possible as those twisted names. The East was not much better, but I did a correct WAG of KARIN and ENOCH because there were fair crosses. If you happened to know TRUCKEE as I did!

SLIP SOME SKIN took awhile to get. My tree frogs EAT their SKIN for LUNCH when they MOLT. A bit of ICK FACTOR, but very efficient. It happens in a matter of seconds, so you have to be lucky to catch it. It keeps them very bright and shiny!

Here I was very lucky to catch this MOLT in progress as one of my tree frogs EATS his SKIN!

Our FARMER'S MARKET is just a ten minute walk from our front door on Sundays. Heading over there right now!

From Yesterday:
Big Easy Thank you for the validation about RCA. So sad. I had a classmate in elementary school whose father was an engineer at RCA. I was proud to tell him that our two electronic devices (tube radio and tube TV) were both RCA. Those jobs are long gone.

Jayce Thanks for letting me know you also had TAN before DYE! I think that was the intended misdirection.

Subgenius said...

Now that I've seen the explanation, I must admit I missed the "day" aspect of the puzzle when solving it. However, that didn't keep me from being able to FIR, so I guess I'm still happy, though a little chagrined.

Misty said...

Sunday toughie for me, but they're supposed to be, so many thanks, David AB. Always enjoy your comments and your pictures, C.C., and thanks for the update on Boomer. You'll both be in my prayers on Tuesday.

The first thing I got was DAM--hey, what else could a Beaver creation be?
And then I couldn't believe that I also got ELI Lilly. Don't know why since I thankfully haven't taken any pharmaceuticals in decades.
And then for a third treat I got ALOHA. How else would a "lei person" greet anyone?

Another favorite clue was "Wallops quaintly". Yea! SMITES. The "quaintly" helped with that one.

I think we saw FEDORAS in a puzzle not long ago. Wonder if they're going to start turning up regularly?

ALTGranny, thank you so much for your kind comment about my Dad. I really appreciated it.

Have a great Sunday, everybody.

Kelly Clark said...


Boomer and C.C., the prayers continue.

Thank you, David, for the puzzle -- fun theme! -- and the back story. Your puzzles are amazing! And yes, folks, do take advantage of David's site.

Jayce said...

Nifty theme! Thanks for pointing out the "day" aspect of it, C.C. Excellent puzzle, David.

I mistyped RIOT as ROIT which held me back in solving ALIGHT and TOREAT. Hand up for entering ODORS before ODOUR. Had FRESH before LOCAL and ADAGE before MAXIM. Even though I knew the TRUCKEE River it did not help me in solving KARIN or ENOCH, neither of whom I knew. Never heard of The NOID either. I knew TAYE Diggs but I don't know how I knew of him. Apparently he is no relation to Daveed Diggs who played Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton.

I agree with Jinx in thinking that Patti is trying to rechannel the stream.

Good wishes to you all.

Anonymous said...

DAB, I really enjoyed your puzzle. Thanks! I'm going to have to visit your website more often. I agree with your concern about too many "new" words and obscure clues, but that's their (editors) choice. Chairman Moe

waseeley said...

Jayce @3:01 PM It remains to be seen whether such a strategy will re-channel the post literate generation.

Lucina said...

Sigh. I sat down and while watching TV, fell asleep! No movie today, I'm sorry to say but I hope to go tomorrow.

I love Endeavour on PBS so enjoyed the "Evolution" of the character as explained.

The Sunday puzzle seems much easier since Patti took over.

Wilbur Charles said...

I stumbled on TRUCKEE not grok'ing PRE and having TAKEIn.

Aha, thx tanta nique re. The M,T,W,Th,Friday initials. I thought there was something else re. The theme

I agree with Lucina that overall(90%) this was an easy Sunday. CUBA should have been lhf which goes to show that Sports are completely foreign to some. As pop-cul is to a sports fan.

WC

I'm late because our next door neighbor unexpectedly passed away and the service was this afternoon

Big Easy said...

Jayce & Jinx- rechanneling the stream is about right.

I don't mind a few proper nouns but there's 100s of television channels, movies galore, podcasts, writers, ...etc. Clues containing tv shows, movies, books, singers, songs, authors, and actors most people are unfamiliar with is only fair when the fills cross non-proper noun fills. When it doubles it's worse; ENOCH & KARIN had solid perps; SHUE & TAYE crossing both CUBA & HEY YA didn't. And you had to spell LABYRINTH.

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk say...

Thanks for the update on Boomer, C.C.. Good luck Tuesday.

LOL - 'swiped' card, Jinx. I have a buckeye from Pop's tree in my pocket now.

There's nothing wrong with Patti reaching out to a younger demo but, if the LAT isn't advertising, "Try the LAT XWord now. ENOCH's in and OONA's out," how would the kids know? :-)

Cheers, -T

Anonymous said...

Since I am certainly not a cloistered nun, perhaps I should have run into the words ODOUR and TSAPRE somewhere in my travels. However, silly old me must have missed them! Therefore -since they were side-by-side, that area was blank in my solve. Otherwise, a fun challenge today!