google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday October 18, 2022 Amie Walker

Advertisements

Oct 18, 2022

Tuesday October 18, 2022 Amie Walker

I'd Like To Buy a Vowel.  Sorry, but you can only get a U.  The only vowel in each of the theme answers is a U.

17-Across. *   Busy stretch at a sandwich shop: LUNCH RUSH.

25-Across. *   Crumple, as notepaper filled with bad ideas: SCRUNCH UP.

36-Across. *   Fare that pairs well with beer: PUB GRUB.  Rhyming answer.

38-Across. *   Ticket marketplace with a FanProtect Guarantee: STUB HUB.  Rhyming answer.

52-Across. *   Source of bribe money, perhaps: SLUSH FUND.

And the unifier:

62-Across. "I'm handing this off now," and a phonetic description of the answers to the starred clues: IT'S ALL YOU. (U).  At first I thought the answer might be rhyming, but that fit only 2 of the answers.

Across:
1. "Barbaric" cry in Whitman's "Song of Myself": YAWP.  Not a good start for a Tuesday puzzle.

5. Departed: LEFT.

9. Stockpile: AMASS.

14. Actress Falco: EDIE.  Edie Falco (née Edith Falco; b. July 5, 1963) portrayed Carmela Soprano on the HBO series The Sopranos.  We binged on this show during the first weeks of the Covid shut-down.     Edie Falco made a guest appearance in the puzzle just last Sunday.  [Name # 1.]


15. Thin batteries: AAAs.  Tiny rods.
16. "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!" host Peter: SAGAL.  Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me is a weekly radio game show where contestants are quizzed about the week's news.  Peter Sagal (né Peter Daniel Sagal; b. Jan. 31, 1965) is a humorist who hosts the show.  We attended a live-taping of this show several years ago.  [Name # 2.]


19. Dish: PLATE.


20. Snuck a look: PEEKED.



21. Clock readout: TIME.

23. Shoe front: TOE.


24. Verbalize: SAY.

27. Lets off steam: VENTS.



29. Lightbulb unit: WATT.

30. "Fiddlesticks!": RATS.

31. Brief "If you ask me": IMO.  Textspeak for IMOpinion.  This had become a crossword staple.

32. Letter-shaped support: I-BAR.

34. Provençal pal: AMI.  Today's French lesson.


42. Farmyard oinker: PIG.


43. Worrisome grades: DEEs.


44. Actress de Armas: ANA.  Ana de Armas (née Ana Celia de Armas Caso; b. Apr. 30, 1988) is a Cuban actress.  She portrayed the nurse in the movie Knives Out.  She appeared in a previous crossword that I commented on.  [Name # 3.]


45. __ facto: IPSO.  Today's Latin lesson.  This phrase a term-of-art in law which translates as "by the fact itself."

48. "__ sesame!": OPEN.  Open Sesame is the magical phrase that opens the cave in the story of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.


50. Otherwise: IF NOT.

54. Scoundrel: CAD.

55. Used to be: WAS.  I have a friend who refers to her ex-husband as her Wasband.

56. Natural hairstyle: AFRO.


57. Infomercial disclaimer: PAID AD.

60. College application part: ESSAY.
64. Revise: AMEND.

65. __ as a pin: NEAT.

66. Watch over, as sheep: TEND.


67. Odorless gas: RADON.  Everything you wanted to know about Radon but didn't know to ask.

68. Tacks on: ADDS.

69. Poems of praise: ODES.  How about a Limerick to a sheep instead?



Down:
1. [You stepped on my paw!]: YELP.


2. For two voices, in music: A DUE.  Today's Italian lesson.  This term appears occasionally in the puzzles.

3. Connoisseur who likely scoffs at boxed Merlot: WINE SNOB.  I may not be drinking Bordeaux, but I like my Cardbordeaux.



4. Eat like a bird: PECK AT.

5. Baker's fat: LARD.

6. __ de toilette: EAU.


7. Tracy Chapman hit with the line "Won't have to drive too far": FAST CAR.  Fast Car is one of Tracy Chapman's (b. Mar. 30, 1964) best known songs.  [Name # 4.]


8. Summer top: T SHIRT.

9. Colorado ski resort: ASPEN.

10. Prefix with practice: MAL-.  As in Malpractice.

11. "Death on the Nile" novelist Christie: AGATHA.  In addition to writing crime novels, Dame Agatha Christie (née Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller; Sept. 15, 1890 ~ Jan. 12, 1976) is known for her own mysterious disappearance.  [Name # 5.]


12. Stayed on the sidelines: SAT OUT.

13. Snoozes: SLEEPS.


18. Activation phrase for Apple's digital assistant: HEY, SIRI.

22. Change genetically: MUTATE.

25. DNA test kit item: SWAB.
26. High-sided bed: CRIB.


27. Big shot, briefly: VIP.

28. Ostrich kin: EMU.



33. "Scram!": BUG OFF.

35. Broadway offering: MUSICAL.  Some of the top Broadway musicals in 2022.

37. Main mail ctrs.: GPOS.  As in General Post Office.  //  Followed by:  38-Down. Put in the mail: SEND.

39. Like some small-batch textiles: HAND DYED.  Back when I was in high school, we tie-eyed our t-shirts.



40. Card game with an American Girl version: UNO.  Who knew?



41. Belfry critter: BAT.

43. Stood for: DENOTED.

45. "Cross my heart!": I SWEAR.


46. Blood component: PLASMA.

47. Figured (out): SUSSED.

49. Fancy Feast maker: PURINA.  [Name adjacent]


51. "I __ see the humor here": FAIL TO.

53. Composer known as the "Father of the Symphony": HAYDN.  Franz Joseph Haydn (Mar. 31, 1732 ~ May 31, 1809) was known as Papa Haydn.  [Name # 6.]


57. Butter portions: PATS.


58. Top of the line: A-ONE.

59. Disappointing fireworks: DUDS.



61. "It's __-win situation": A NO.

63. Glum: SAD.

Here's the Grid:



חתולה


 
Notes from C.C.:
 
1) Boomer and I went to the bowling center yesterday morning to say goodbye to his friends. He gifted his remaining boxes of golf balls to the league's end-of-the-season banquet. Here's Boomer with the league secretary Bruce.

Bruce and Boomer, 10/17/2022

2) Boomer's 75th birthday is coming up on Oct 27. Can you guys do me a favor? Send him a card or a note.

Here's our address. Thank you!

Doug Burnikel
5503 - 84 1/2 Ave N.
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443 

34 comments:

Subgenius said...

You folks know that I am generally, unless provoked, a man of few words. Today is no exception. The only thing I really have to say about this puzzle is that I didn’t get the gimmick until the reveal, but I got it then. Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Noticed the theme, but thought it was simply "W." YAWP needed perps, but no Wite-Out. Quick solve. Nicely done, Amie and Hahtoolah. (Cute tattoo cartoon.)

SWAB -- As a former Navy guy, I can relate.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Thanks, Amie & Hahtoolah!

Fast and fun! YAWP is a barbaric way to start. Who says this?

DNK as clued: SAGAL, ANA, Tracy Chapman or his song, GPOS, HADYN. Perped in okay.

27 degrees here this morning. Glad I brought in my tropical houseplant last evening. Think summer is officially over.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased purena for PURINA, and I feed Zoe-the-wonder-dog Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind dry food. I wouldn't blame her if she bit me. Same unknowns as PK, except that I know Tracy Chapman and love Fast Car.

WATT (as a light bulb choice) will probably go the way of phone book, dial and 8-track. But "lumen" was too long.

"Fare that pairs well with beer." Wouldn't that be "everything"? That's the way I remember it.

When I was growing up, "worrisome grades" were anything below an A-.

for "otherwise" I wanted elseif.

Some folks say I SWEAR. More of them say I SWEAR too much.

Thanks to Amie for the fun puzzle, and to Ha2la for the visual treat. (I used to work with a guy who intentionally sang "rock the cat's paw" instead of Casbah. Especially if he paired a lot of snacks with beer.)

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A lovely scene with Walt’s YAWP
-IT’S ALL YOU – Have you ever taught a child to ride a bike?
-Some golf courses require a collared shirt and will not allow a T-SHIRT to be worn
-AGATHA hid the guilty person until the end when Poirot gathered everyone and revealed the culprit
-Off to Omaha today for my GI Dr. to take a PEEK AT my lower bowel. I am typing this while just finishing the horrible prep fluid and I have had some pauses.

Husker Gary said...

Addendum
-I have had the pleasure of meeting a constructor in Lincoln who is the former president of Nebraska Wesleyan University and a wonderful person. We even had lunch in Wahoo, NE which is halfway between here and Lincoln. He sends me puzzles to evaluate and I am happy to do so but this week he sent me three spiral puzzles and I have to say I am not a fan. Really hard or clever fills that have very little crossing/overlapping letters can be so frustrating because, unlike grids, there are not many avenues for help.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends:

The "W" theme works, too, DO. I didn't see that until you pointed it out.

A cold front certainly came through last night. Yesterday the high was nearly 90. Today we'll be lucky to hit 64.

QOD: Don’t let the same dog bite you twice. ~ Chuck Berry (né Charles Edward Anderson Berry; Oct. 18, 1926 ~Mar. 18, 2017), African-American guitarist and songwriter

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I saw the double U pattern but couldn’t make sense of the reveal answer until Hahtoolah explained it. The simplicity and obviousness of it makes me wonder where my brain had wandered off to. BTW, when playing Scrabble and Words With Friends, I have an inexplicable, intense dislike for the letter U. Yawp, Sagan, and Fast Car were unknowns but no w/os. I never saw The Sopranos but Edie Falco was outstanding in Nurse Jackie.

Thanks, Amie, for a fun Tuesday and thanks, Hahtoolah, for a spot on review and visuals. My favorite cartoons today were all animal themed: the dog waiters, the piggy bank tattoo, and the bats in the rafter. Lots of chuckles.

HG @ 6:55 ~ Good luck with your procedure. Thanks for posting the Robin William’s video. He was so talented in both comedic and dramatic roles. He left us far too soon.

Sumdaze, congratulations on your new blogging gig and thank you for stepping up to help CC. I look forward to your reviews.

CC, thanks for keeping us up to date on Boomer and for sharing that recent photo of him smiling, as though he hadn’t a care in the world.

Have a great day.

inanehiker said...

Creative theme - I thought it was going to be rhyming -unch at first, with LUNCH and SCRUNCH but then it became double Us in all the theme answers.

I had some switches as perps required: modify (as in GMO products) became MUTATE, rants became VENTS, BUG Out became BUG OFF

Thanks HG for the link to "Dead Poets Society" - YAWP sounds more like it would come from Faulkner than Whitman. I should see it again- such a great movie.

Thanks Susan for the fun blog and Amie for the puzzle!

KS said...

FIR, nice theme. I worried when I saw 1A because that's a tough way to start off a Tuesday puzzle. But it worked out in the end.

Sherry said...

Happy Bday Boomer.
Puzzle was pretty good. My only issue was yawp. New word for me.

Anonymous said...

Puzzl tuk 5:39.

Ok, back to using other vowels. I would say "Fast Car" is Tracy Chapman's best known song, and may be the only many song people know from her.

Yawp and Yelp weren't a great start for acrosses or downs, and I didn't care for GPOs or bug off either. I guess you could say I scrunched-up my nose at those.
I didn't know Sagal.

Nice gesture of Boomer. I hope it was appreciated.

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Amie and Hahtoolah.
I FIRed and saw the YOU theme. (Hand up for thinking it was a UNCH rhyme after the first two themers).

Straight-forward solve today with just a few inkblots.
Unknown names filled with perps. Ditto for the unknown to this Canadian GPOS.

Rants changed to VENTS (hello inanehiker).
T BAR changed to I.
PAID by changed to AD.
I need to review my Latin to decide between Ipse dixit (the other day) and IPSO facto (today).

I smiled at YAWP crossing YELP.
We had LARD and PATS of butter. (CSO to our Pat).

I read the new novel, The Christie Affair, which gives a spin on that mysterious disappearance of Agatha. Interesting.

Wishing you all a great day.

unclefred said...

FIR in 16. DNK: YAWP, SAGAL, ANA. W/Os: SENTSEND, HANDMADE:HANDDYED. Other than that smooth sailing. The “Open, sesame!” cartoon reminds me of a Popeye cartoon where Popeye says, “Open, sez me!” I did not see the theme but am sure I would have seen it had I looked. When the grid was filled I immediately came to the blog instead of looking for the reveal. Thanx AW for the fun CW, and thanx Hahtoolah for your, as usual, fun and informative write-up.

ATLGranny said...

Another smooth FIR today, thanks to Amie's second puzzle in a week. Clever theme again.

WOs included tbar/IBAR and prate/PLATE and a couple of sloppy spelling issues. (More coffee needed!) As others said, perps were friendly when encountering unknown names.

Thanks, Hahtoolah, for the fun review. I like the pig tattoo cartoon too.

Thanks for the picture of Boomer and information about his upcoming birthday, C.C.

Good luck with your test today, HG. And stay warm everyone. I'm getting out my winter clothes for our cold spell!

Wilbur Charles said...

A cat's paw is a dupe. Another meaning is familiar to our nautical friends

Rex Morgan came up with a xword version of SUSSED: Grok'ed

Oh, that tattoo was a "piggy " bank

BUG Out became BUG OFF for me too

Boomer, you must be the veritable Duke of Flatbush in Brooklyn Park

Thank you hahtoolah for another great write-up

WC

Ps, no issues but it solved slowly for a Tuesday needing a plethora of perps

Anonymous said...

Big Easy here from my phone working the puzzle in the dark at the opthalmologist with eyes dilated.

YAWP. Never heard of it
No other unknowns.
AFRO- only in California could Angela Davis be found not guilty when she supplied rifles to kill a federal judge. Bought them the day before and gave them to the defendants

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

IT'S ALL YOUSE.....No real issues...

Inkovers : beat it/ BeGOff/BUGOFF, Sagel/SAGAL.

"Babaric cry" starts with a Y?...Yabba Dabba Do waaay to long....YAWP? ..c'mon it's Tuesday. 🙄

"You stepped on my PAW" and he fell into the Maw. .Not very nice to say that your "baker's fat" (it's all those day-old donuts he eats)... Was tempted to put Rants but VENTS makes more sents (Inane/Canada)...LUNCH perped RUSH not hour

"OPEN!" Sez me! (Uncle Fred remembers)

Wonder what direction the EAU "de toilette" swirls when flushed in France (known as L"Eau de Loo in England) ...😆 Forget the the DNA test, it's now a Covid Kit with a SWAB. Una The American Girl version of "UNO"?

ANA De Armas was terrific as Marilyn Monroe in "Blonde" a highly fictionalized surreal biopic film. But hoping she didn't catch cold, cuz she kept forgetting to put her clothes on 🤭🤫🤗

"RAID's" purpose.....BUGOFF
"Joe where yah been ____ all that great music"......HAYDN,
Reimbursed father....PAIDAD
Without further _____ ....ADUE

My fav cartoon was the pig with the slot tattoo. 😆

Boomer, hang in there

Yellowrocks said...

Doable, but more crunchy the old Tuesday puzzles. I didn't look for the theme. I was thinking that It's all you, should have been the more common. It's all yours.
Who says YAWP? Walt Whitman as the clue indicates.
"Song of Myself, "I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable, I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world. The last scud of day holds back for me."
"People, particularly people belonging to Generations X or Y, are responding to Ojai as a whole with a collective barbaric yawp." New York Times Jul 11, 2015 and many other references.
Begone before bug off.
MY MIL made piecrusts with lard. Not my mom. David and I make a lot of butter pie crusts.
I have read that boxed wine is the same wine as bottled wine. I have no idea how much my party guests will drink. Buying 3 liter boxes might leave partially used boxes, more than I could finish in time.
Many people wear T shirt all year round, even in states like NJ where we have cold winters.
Are afros natural? There are many how to articles on the internet about making and keeping them.
How did toilette come to refer to a toilet?
toilet

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Thanks, C.C., for sharing the picture of Boomer. Is he ever not smiling?

I found this puzzle a pleasure to solve; it felt fresh. Thanks Amie.

And it was a hoot to read Hatoolah's recap. LOL piggy-bank tattoo.

WOs: N/A
ESP: YAWP(?), ANA @44a
Fav: FAST CAR. Great tune in the spirit of Jack and Diane

I also liked AD in 57a and ADD in 68a; YAWP xing YELP.

I've listened to WWDTM nearly every Saturday morning since it first aired nationally in '98(?). P.J. O'Rourke was my favorite guest; Paula Poundstone and Mo Rocca are now.

PUB GRUBHUB - for delivering pints (?)

Back to work.
Enjoyed reading everyone.
Cheers, -T

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

Just a quick note from C-Moe to say we are now moved into our new house. Boxes everywhere, of course, so not totally moved in ... I hope sometime before the end of the year, but there is no rush

Happy belated birthdays to those I missed - as well as the "un-birthday"! ;^)

Today's puzzle was the first one I've solved in several days. I didn't see the "double U" or single vowel until the end/reveal

Thanks to Amie and Susan for a nice distraction from opening boxes!

CC: card is in the mail

Lucina said...

Hola!

I finished the puzzle at six this morning then immediately returned to bed. Thank you, Amie and Hahtoolah!

I don't have a SIRI but an Alexa. She is a fount of information.

I remember the HAND DYED fad.

When I had dogs I bought many, many pounds of PURINA Dog Chow.

C.C., what you ask will be a bittersweet task but we shall gladly do it.

Have a joyful day, everyone. Every day is a gift!

Misty said...

Delightful Tuesday puzzle, thank U, thank U, Amie. Loved all your pictures, Hahtoolah--thank you for posting them. And thank you for alerting us to Boomer's upcoming birthday, C.C.

Delightful puzzle, but I have to admit all the food references, starting with that LUNCH RUSH, made me hungry. We'll probably all try to AMASS a PLATE full of snacks with LARD and other delicious fats, that we can PECK AT. But the really big treat will be all that lovely WINE supplied to us WINE SNOBS along with the PUB-GRUB. I SWEAR, a LUNCH like that would be A ONE.

Oh, and lets have some tunes from a MUSICAL along with the food--especially a bit of HAYDN.

Have a great day, everybody.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

So I just come back to my office to find a custodian installing a new doorknob mechanism. When I asked why, he explained "new hospital policy"....this new one has to have a special inside lock.

"Why do I need that?"...🤔

"To lock yourself in in case of an active shooter".. he says

Sheesh 😳

sumdaze said...

This was a fUn pUzzle, Amie W.! I am a WWDTM fan so I liked seeing Peter SAGAL's name in it but I had to wait for perps to know if it was SAGel or SAGAL.
Lots of laUghs in your write-up, Hahtoolah. Thank you!
HG's YAWP link was just what I needed to remember that word for next time (fingers crossed!)

ATLGranny said...

Another smooth FIR today, thanks to Amie's second puzzle in a week. Clever theme again.

WOs included tbar/IBAR and prate/PLATE and a couple of sloppy spelling issues. (More coffee needed!) As others said, perps were friendly when encountering unknown names.

Thanks, Hahtoolah, for the fun review. I like the pig tattoo cartoon too.

Thanks for the picture of Boomer and information about his upcoming birthday, C.C.

Good luck with your test today, HG. And stay warm everyone. I'm getting out my winter clothes for our cold spell!

TTP said...


Thank you, Arnie, and thank you Hahtoolah

The answer for Scram changed from beat it to be gone to beg off to bug out to finally BUG OFF. Not as bad, but t-bar changed to I BAR and hand made changed to HAND DYED. That's what I get for not checking the perps before entering answers, and then having to correct those answers when the perps told me they were wrong.

Didn't know YAP or the NPR host SAGAL or FAST CAR. Listened to the start of that song. Never heard it before today.

My purchase offer was contingent on this house passing a RADON test. Had it failed, I still would have bought it, but would have negotiated for the cost of remediation had it failed.

Fun puzzle.

Welcome to blogging, sumdaze !

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle, Hahtoolah's recap, and all your comments.

Ol' Man Keith said...

A bright Hahtoolah presentation of a wild Walker PZL!

Fun to do, easy all the way.

18D reminds me that I have both Alexa and SIRI at my beck. They often eavesdrop on one another.
I can never think up enough chores for them to do.
The weather gets boring. Whenever I think of a real question, I am more likely to type it--into my iPad or desktop--than to clear my throat and quiz the ladies.
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Too sad. 8 x 8 is black: No diagonals!

ATLGranny said...

Which day will we see sumdaze blogging?

Lucina said...

Alexa is kept occupied by my daughter and her husband to insure that I take my meds on time and take my blood sugar reading. Oh, my, who knew that my old age would be like this? Of course, as I've already said, I appreciate their caring attention.

My son-in-law just informed me that he has Covid and was likely infected by one of his clients. Since they don't have their children this week (alternating with the other parents) it's a blessing in disguise.

OMK:
I'm sure you don't want to find out. Isn't it safer to have them removed and be safe?

Anonymous T said...

ALTGranny: Not to spill too much tea, but my understating is Friday-week.

Lucina - your SonIL, if he got the new drugs in time, will be just fine. Pop did and said today that he's 90% just after 5 days ill.
1st time I got C19 [May 2020], I was out for 3 weeks and then DW was down for 5 wks (and had 'long-Covid' until her second shot).

You stay well and get that new vaccine if you can.

Best wishes to your family, -T

Lucina said...

Anon-T
Thank you. Yes, I am fully vaccinated as of two weeks ago.

My plan for tomorrow is to fill out my ballot and mail it. I've decided on who and what to vote for since we have some propositions besides the candidates.

Michael said...

Ray-O-Sunshine @ 12:40 So did the big wigs put in bulletproof glass, too? If not, they should fund a very good Ray-O very good vest....