google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday January 15, 2024 Zachary Schiff

Advertisements

Jan 15, 2024

Monday January 15, 2024 Zachary Schiff

  

Theme:                Sweater Shopping

Happy MLK Jr. Day, everyone! sumdaze here. If you have ever browsed through a clothing catalog, you have probably noticed that sweaters are rarely labeled using a Kindergarten color. Instead, a PURPLE sweater is MULBERRY or LAVENDAR or EGGPLANT.  Constructor Zachary Schiff turned that idea into a puzzle.
20 Across. Thoroughfare in New York City's Little Italy: MULBERRY STREET.  Lonely Planet info. for tourists

25 Across. Hit single from Taylor Swift's "Midnights": LAVENDER HAZE.
ALAS, I am not a Swiftie, but after a few perps I remembered this clue from a Sunday puzzle last month 12/17/23:
113 Across. Word after "Lavender" and "Purple," in song titles: HAZE.

43. Meatless cheesy entree, familiarly: EGGPLANT PARM. (parmesan)

Plus the reveal:
49 Across. 2023 musical film produced by Oprah Winfrey and Steven Spielberg, and an apt title for this puzzle: THE COLOR PURPLE.  
Many of us remember the original movie released in 1985. This is the official trailer for the 2023 remake:

All three of the themers are composed of two-words. The gimmick remained hidden (to me) until I made my way down to it as neither MULBERRY nor EGGPLANT immediately struck me as synonyms for PURPLE. I like when that happens.

Across:
1. Campus gp. with a Greek name: FRAT.  "Group" is abbreviated, so is "FRATernity".

5. Eyelid hair: LASH.  
Lady Gaga at the Met Gala in 2019
Too much???
9. End: STOP.

13. __ slaw: COLE.

14. Aptly named cooler brand: IGLOO.  You can put your COLE slaw in it.

16. Ocean motion: TIDE.  
another "ocean motion" view

17. "Neat!": COOL.

18. Place to store valuables: VAULT.  
Seinfeld  (18 secs.)

19. Father and son authors Kingsley and Martin: AMIS.  Sir Kingsley William Amis and his son Martin Amis

23. Nerf missile: DART.  

24. Central cooling systs.: ACS.  "Systems" is abbreviated, so is Air Conditioners. I don't suppose yours is turned on at the moment.

32. Commonplace: LOWLY.

35. Unethical one: LOUSE.  
36. Limo passenger: VIP.  

37. "Sad to say ... ": ALAS.

38. Choreographer de Mille: AGNES.  (1905-1993)
Notice her shadow on the wall.
39. Chromosome part: GENE.

40. Goofy drawing?: CEL.  This is a perfect example of how a clue-writer can take advantage of the capitalize-the-first-letter convention. "Drawing of Goofy" would not be as deceiving.  
41. "Farewell, cherie": ADIEU.  You do not have to speak French to translate the chorus of this song. 😃  

42. River vessel: BARGE.

46. Bum __: unfounded accusation: RAP.  
That reminds me...the fireplace guy was here the other day.

47. City near Anaheim: BREA.  I resisted this, thinking it was La BREA but apparently that is the name of the tar pits, not its city.

56. Have a strong 52-Down: REEK.   and   52 Down. Hamper emanation: ODOR.  

57. Love: ADORE.

58. Neeson of the "Taken" films: LIAM.  There have been three Taken movies, 2008, 2012, and 2014.
Liam Neeson in the phone call scene.
60. Actress Hathaway: ANNE.

61. Rosebud __: "Schitt's Creek" location: MOTEL.  Schitt's Creek is a 2015 TV show that lasted six seasons. It was filmed in Toronto. "Rose" was the surname of the main characters so this might be an Easter egg. Perhaps a fan of the show can tell us more?

62. Land measure: ACRE.  It seems like forever ago but I once lived on the million-ACRE MC Ranch, headquartered in Adel, OR. This article ran in Western Horseman Magazine in 1979, several years before I was there. It had not changed much except that the cattle were no longer straight Herefords like in those pictures. The cow boss let me ride with the crew as long as I was more help than harm. Good times! The ranch has since sold and has been broken up into smaller parcels.

63. Hissed "Over here!": PSST.

64. Kelly of morning talk TV: RIPA.     and     5 Down. Broadcast with minimal tape delay: LIVE TV.  
Click to enlarge.
Since April 2023, Kelly Ripa's co-host is her husband Mark Consuelos.

65. Hornet home: NEST.  Hornets are one of Mother Nature's PEST controllers. They will eat unwanted garden pests like aphids.

Down:
1. Airwaves-regulating govt. agency: FCC.  "Government" is abbreviated, so is the Federal Communications Commission.

2. Part of a suite: ROOM.

3. Audibly: ALOUD.

4. Candid memoirs: TELL-ALLS.  I recently read Henry Winkler's memoir. He talked a lot about how his severe dyslexia shaped his self-image. Reading the book was like hearing Gene Cousineau's voice (the character he played in Barry), saying the words ALOUD in my head. <not a bad thing>

6. Food thickener made from seaweed: AGAR.

7. Enunciate poorly: SLUR.

8. Sacred: HOLY.

9. Fabric stiffener: STARCH.  They put potatoes on clothes???
(You don't have to  explain this one to me. I know....)

10. Shortcut, hopefully: TIME SAVER.  

11. Drooling dog in "Garfield": ODIE.  
12. Gnat, e.g.: PEST.  Frogs, reptiles, small mammals, birds, fish, spiders, and other insects think of gnats as "dinner", not pests.

15. Bonus sports periods, for short: OTS.  Overtimes

21. Imitate a donkey: BRAY.  

22. Weight adjustment factor: TARE.  Last week a nurse forget to reset the TARE on the scale so she miscalculated my friend's newborn grandson's weight. This mistake caused an incorrect diagnosis and considerable stress. Fortunately the next shift identified the problem.

26. Baylor in the Basketball Hall of Fame: ELGIN.  NBA Legends Profile

27. Group of nine: NONET.  It seems NONET usually refers to a group of musicians.  
Lee Konitz Nonet     If You Could See Me Now     (1977)

28. In the on-deck circle: DUE UP.  today's giant leap award winner  

29. Strong start?: ESS.  "Strong" starts with the letter S.

30. Oomph: ZING.

31. Sword with a blunted tip: EPEE.

32. Frilly material: LACE.

33. Designer Cassini: OLEG.  (1913 - 2006)  
How can she pose like the bust behind her without cracking up?

34. CVS rival: WALGREENS.

38. Org. on a bottle of mouthwash: ADA.  American Dental Association
Listerine, a mouth rinse composed of a mixture of essential oils, was created in 1879 and was originally formulated as a surgical antiseptic. In spite of its known antimicrobial properties it was thought of as a product in search of a use and promoted as a deterrent for halitosis and as a floor cleaner. source

39. Coach's strategy: GAME PLAN.  
I like the look on Dewey's face.

41. Gravy Cravers pet food brand: ALPO.

42. "I'm f-f-f-reezing!": BRRR.

44. Single serving of sugar: PACKET.  

45. Tia's madre: ABUELA.  Spanish for "your aunt's mother is your grandmother"
(I've been refreshing my Spanish on Duolingo as PREP for a trip to Spain this summer.)

48. "The Brady Bunch" housekeeper: ALICE.  
We all know that Alice was much more than a housekeeper.
Alice Learns to Ski (54 sec.)
Ann B. Davis played Alice Nelson from 1969 to 1974 (plus special extras).

49. Lint collector: TRAP.

50. Farm cluckers: HENS.  We had the braying donkey so it is only fair we give this girl her time to shine.  

51. Go on the __: LAM.  to try to escape or hide from someone ... usually the police

53. Unleavened bread similar to naan: ROTI.

54. Make ready: PREP.

55. AirPods holders: EARS.

59. Ran into: MET.  
Get it? They're crash test dummies. Haha!

Here's another fun song before we go:  
The Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley (1958)

...and the grid:

Have a great week, everyone!

35 comments:

Subgenius said...

This puzzle had a fair amount of “crunch” for being a Monday puzzle, including at least one word from Spanish and a couple of obscure names. Plus, the themed answers were not quite as obvious as is usual on a Monday. Nevertheless, I persevered and got the win. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning! (Brrr!)

Got through this one quickly, which is what you'd expect for a Monday. Noticed the CSO to IM (AGNES). ACS raised its ugly head -- the tech says we'll need to replace the central air unit this year. Actually he said that a year-and-a-half ago, but I procrastinated successfully. IGLOO was a gimme; I used to drive past their factory on my way to work. Of course, I no longer work, and IGLOO moved the factory further west to Katy. Enjoyed your colorful puzzle, Zachary, and your purple prose, sumdaze. (To those of us of the color-blind persuasion, all purples look alike -- blue.)

Sheb Wooley -- You may remember him from High Noon or Rawhide. Or maybe even as Ben Colder (appropriate name for today).

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR without erasure.

Today is:
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY (great leader and motivator)
NATIONAL HAT DAY (didn’t Click and Clack have a character named Mahatma Coat?)
NATIONAL BOOCH DAY (traditional drink in China)
NATIONAL STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM DAY (Strawberry Fest will be in nearby Plant City 2/29 – 3/10. Big deal in these parts. Strawberry foods will be as ubiquitous there as fried food is at a county fair)
NATIONAL BAGEL DAY (I can take ‘em or leave ‘em)

I Love me some EGGPLANT PARM. Even some of the frozen stuff is pretty good, at least Michael Angelos is.

BREA is also a wonderful college in Eastern Kentucky. Admittance is based on need. It provides a work-study grant that covers the remaining tuition fees after subtracting Pell Grant, other grants, and scholarships. Its motto is "God has made of one blood all peoples of the earth." Pretty good for MLK day, huh?

ADORE could have been "amore" just as easily.

I'm not too sure about "in the on deck circle" for DUE UP. When you are in the on deck circle, you aren't DUE UP until the current batter is disposed of, and if the current batter makes the third out or if the coach calls you back, not even then. I guess if you have a fill you like, you stretch whatever is available to clue it.

Thanks to Zachary for the fun Monday romp. And thanks to sumdaze for the clever tour.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FLN - Yes, Bill: alt.comp.dcom.isdn was my hangout. Along with some others which we needn't discuss.

KS said...

FIR, but I found it to be somewhat more of a Tuesday or Wednesday puzzle. Too many proper names, two of them crossing at Elgin and Agnes, but the perps helped.
The theme was clever, and when I saw the reveal it hit home. Maybe it's just me, but lately Monday puzzles seem to have some bite to them.

Anonymous said...

Took 5:08 today for me to finish my wine.

I agree with SubG (as usual) about this puzzle.

I knew today's actress (Anne)!

Jinx, I believe the KY college is "Berea". I was there once, so I'm assuming it's the same.

inanehiker said...

This was a fun quick romp- I'm looking forward to seeing the new movie out "THE COLOR PURPLE" this one is a musical based on the musical on Broadway with a few new songs.

MULBERRY makes me think of Dr. Seuss's first children's book "And to think that I saw it on MULBERRY Street" I've never heard of the New York street.

Nice CSO to AGNES (Irish Miss)
My dad always had the dry cleaners put heavy STARCH in the collars of his dress shirts- not sure why

Thanks SD for the funny blog and Zachary for the puzzle

FYI - Jinx - the college in Kentucky is Berea after one of the churches in Acts in the New Testament. It is a work college - where everyone works for their tuition. It was the first interracial, coeducational college in the US. Near me the "College of the Ozarks" operates the same way. If a student also wants to work for their room & board, they have additional work opportunities over the summer and other breaks.

Lee said...

I second that. BEREA is the name of college and the town as well.

Lee said...

SubG, I agree that today's puzzle had abit of a bite to it. Not much of one, however. I have seen the Spanish word for grandmother before. Perps helped to spell it for me.

Only eight three letter answers today, IM will be pleased. All in all an easy FIR for me.

Thank you, Zach and Sumdaze for your efforts.

Pride cometh before a fall, but so does idiotic stunts,

Remember

Lucina said...

Hola!

Happy MLK Day, everyone! It's not a counting day for me so I can take my time.

Thanks to Zachary Schiff for this Monday puzzle with a CSO to my friend, Ms. COLE.

Hello, AGNES, aka Irish Miss! Your CSO is right in the center of the puzzle!

My friend, Mary Ann, loves PURPLE and yesterday for her birthday lunch she was decked out from shoulder to toes in that color. I'm sure if she wore a head covering it also would be PURPLE. I also love PURPLE and have enough outfits of that color to wear one on each day of the week.

STARCH was once a regular item in our laundry and then the garment was ironed until it was crisp. Of course, most clothes were made of cotton at the time.

I'll take a CSO at ABUELA. My grandchildren call me NANA.

Please enjoy your holiday!


Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I found this to be a typical breezy Monday solve, maybe because there were no unknowns and no w/os. My first thought was a food theme so I was surprised by the reveal. Coincidentally, Eggplant Parm was on the menu at a birthday party I attended Friday night. It's not one of my favorites, though. My sister Eileen would love this theme as she is a purple lover to the nth degree.

Thanks, Zachary, for a fun and timely solve and thanks, sumdaze, for the fun, facts, and visuals. Favorite comics today were Louse TV and the Texting Witches.

DO and Inanehiker, thanks for the CSO. Actually, I'll claim two as my full name is Agnes Anne.

Lee @ 8:56 ~ You're right, I was pleased with the low three letter word count, but I counted 10, still a very low number.

Last night's episodes of All Creatures Great And Small and Doc Martin were especially enjoyable. I find the eccentric characters and understated humor in Doc Martin laugh-out-loud funny and while there are humorous moments in ACGAS, the emphasis is on the importance of treating all creatures, four-legged, as well as two legged, with care and kindness and respect.

Have a great day.

Irish Miss said...

Lucina @ 9:41 ~ I was side-tracked while writing my comments and missed your CSO until now. Thank you. 😉

CanadianEh! said...

Marvellous Monday. Thanks for the fun, Zachary and sumdaze.
I FIRed in good time and saw the PURPLE theme.
My time would have been faster if I had not mistakenly entered Octet instead of NONET. That made the centre area the last to fall (plus I had a mini-Natick at the cross of ELGIN and AGNES as a result).

The Rosebud MOTEL is in the Orangeville area, north of Toronto, and is apparently vacant now. I’m confused about Rosebud being an Easter Egg, as I consider Rose to be pink, not purple?

My Spanish does not extend to ABUELA (CSO to Lucina), but it perped nicely. (Sounds like a great trip coming up sumdaze). I did know the French, ADIEU.
Safe wouldn’t fit, but VAULT did.
Congrats to IM on double CSO,)

A three-R BRRR today ( to match the three-F f f f-freezing. Appropriate today, as our current temperature is -12C (10F), Feels Like -19C (-2F). I’m staying inside! No ACS needed today, (it is COOL enough to freeze your EARS), but you might build an IGLOO.

Wishing you all a great MLK day.



CrossEyedDave said...

This crossword mulberry reminded me of another crossword Mulberry:

Main article: D-Day Daily Telegraph crossword security alarm
"Mulberry" and the names of all the beaches were words appearing in the Daily Telegraph crossword puzzle in the month prior to the invasion. The crossword compilers, Melville Jones[47] and Leonard Dawe, were questioned by MI5, which determined the appearance of the words was innocent. However, over 60 years later, a former student reported that Dawe frequently requested words from his students, many of whom were children in the same area as US military personnel..

(Excerpt from wiki entry under wwii mulberries.)

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-We got four days of newspapers today after our 11” of snow!
-To minimize missed school time, I spent MLK Day in Florida with teenagers for many years
-Renee, snagging those three colors at the top of your fun write-up impressed me!
-I can’t believe how upset some FB peeps are getting about Taylor being shown for a total of 45 seconds on broadcasts. It’s all entertainment and I think it is very cool, esp. for KC!
-FWIW, the KC game game set an internet record for a streaming event. The four Swifties in my family would never have watched otherwise.
-No need for that IGLOO cooler. It has not been above zero for four days.
-Any mention of our friend AGNES is great with me.
-DeMille’s Dream ballet in Oklahoma was an answer to all mothers in our city who had sent their little girls to dance class.
-TARE can’t correct for the butcher’s thumb on the scale. :-)
-WALGREENS (and other probably would) fills my scrips, texts me when I need refills and contacts my doctor to get authorization. Now if they could fix their drive-thru speaker!
-Mike Tyson: Everybody has a GAME PLAN until they get hit in the mouth
-You are officially a senior citizen if you remember this role Ann B. Davis had before The Brady Bunch

Charlie Echo said...

An easy, breezy, start to a very cold week. A fast FIR, with the few unknowns quickly perped. Thanks for the "Purple People Eater," Sumdaze! Loved that song when I was a kid. (Still do!) Came out around the same time as David Sevilles "The Witch Doctor Song". It was a very good year. Ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...


Nice puzzle with mostly known Proper Names and Clear theme: THE (variations of the) COLOR PURPLE 🍇

Mom and Dad first met during a production of a play “Moon Over MULBERRY STREET”. 🎭 . They were part of local theater group at their church . The “St. Mary of Mt. Carmel Player’s Guild” 😇….

We live on MULBERRY Court in Whitesboro NY.

Instead of the standard universal blue scrubs the new hospital requires a different designated color per department. Ours is EGGLANT (yikes 😳 almost posted an EGGPLANT emoji, 😆)

ANNE Hathaway to bedazzle us guys . … 😍

Was not familiar with the term DUE UP(can the batter “DOO WOP” 🎶 while waiting his turn?). AGAR plates are 🧫 Petrie dishes designed to grow bacteria in the lab. Listerine and some other “mouthwashes” are almost 30% alcohol, more than some wines, beers and spirits. So the “Org” should be the ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) not the ADA“

I thought “Gravy Train” (“beef tasty gravy”) was the “gravy cravers pet food brand”?…So while most cold puzzles make us say “BRR” this one was super frigid so “BRRR” 🥶 . I remember Anne B. Davis (ALICE) as “Schultzy” on The Bob Cummings Show. Love That Bob. (As a as a suffistikated kollidge kid never watched “The Brady Bunch”)

In a library speaking audibly is not _____ …..ALOUD
Beaked fish….. AGAR
Risky trapeze set up…..NONET
Fuss in France….. ADIEU
Song with rhythmic speech and street vernacular performed by a hobo: Bum ___ ….RAP
When is ___ not ___ . When it’s ajar….ADORE (old riddle 🙄)

From above comments I got curious about Berea College. LIU “Encourage us to advance the power of love over hate, human dignity and equality, and peace with justice”.. accepting students of all races, gender and sexual orientation, basically Christian and in rural Kentucky ….wow. ..Celebrate MLK day.

Picard said...

Enjoyed the PURPLE theme. Struggled in the middle with weird DUE UP and crossed unknown names AGNES and ELGIN. AMIS was last to fill. Looked impossible. Wrong. FIR.

Here we rode on a mule-drawn BARGE along the C&O Canal in DC when I was a child.

Yes, that is me with my mother and the mule after the ride.

From Yesterday:
Monkey and Big Easy Thanks for the GETS/SETS comment.

Jayce Thank you for the explanation about your position during the Bay Of Pigs invasion.

MalMan Thank you for your wonderful POINT REYES from Berkeley story! Mine was very different, but still memorable. Were you also a Berkeley student?

Lucina Thank you for explaining about JD being a Crossword Corner person from the past. Good that you met in person.

AnonT If you are up at SFO I may have some other tips. If you are closer to LAX it would be great to meet up. We are at SBA. We never made it to Texas because of an ongoing tragedy with my niece there.

CrossEyedDave said...

I guess the Bob Cummings Show was a little before my time, (I would have been zero thru 4 years old.) so I had to check The WayBack Machine for "edification." I didn't find it, but I did find Schultzky, Dwane Hickman, and Nancy Culp!

I tried, but could not find a funny link for "the color purple."

Couldn't find anything funny for "Mulberry" either...

Anonymous said...

Edward in Los Angeles: I am colorblind so this puzzle was no fun. I have no idea what those colors are.

unclefred said...

I managed to FIR, but in an inordinate amount of time for a Monday, although with no W/Os. Too many DNKs for me to finish quickly, including many of the names. Thanx for the challenging Wednesday-on-a-Monday CW, ZS. And thanx too to Sumdaze for the fun write-up. Who watched the Packers/Cowboys game yesterday? My Packers look really good! 48 points! Even the D looked good. Now they gotta get past the Niners next Sunday: 8:15pm NBC. Go Pack!!

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Thanks to all who reminded me how to spel BEREA. It is only 62 miles as the crow flies from where I spent the first 18 years of my life. I guess Thomas Wolfe was right - You Can't Go Home Again. An ex-girlfriend graduated there with a nursing degree.

Today's Penny Press crossword has "shades of purple" as a clue for VIOLET.

I'll bet Bayou Tony adds EGGPLANT when he builds his (Italian) gravy.

I must be too young to remember Bob Cummings, even though I remember Sky King and Fury from the same era.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

OK U. Fred. I have to give the devils their due. The GB Peckers were a MUCH better team than my Cowboys yesterday. But just wait until next year. (Man, I've said that so often I'm even starting to believe it.)

RosE said...

Greetings! I wrote this a.m. but got into a project & neglected to post it!
Good Morning! I am always encouraged when the NW starts off easily, and this puzzle did not disappoint. Thanks Zachary.
Perps for AMIS and the (new to me) Spanish ABUELA, which was also a WO: n -> L when MOTEL appeared. The other names were all familiar.
Thanks, sumdaze, for the entertaining recap, full of fun an information.

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle. I also liked sumdaze's write-up and what you all had to say.

RosE said...

61A Rosebud: From Citizen Kane - his last word referring to his sled. I have a Christmas ornament of a sled with "Rosebud" printed on it so the reference id very familiar to me.

Monkey said...

Just now getting to the puzzle. I had to take DH to Walk-in urgent care for respiratory problems. We lucked out and got great treatment and a wonderful doc, but we were there 3 hours, then had to get to the pharmacy in nasty weather. All good now.

I liked this puzzle but had to leave the center blank. Didn’t know the player or the expression DUE UP, so didn’t come up with the LOUSE.

I’ve like Martin AMIS novel for a long time. Before him, I used to read his father’s novel, Kingsley AMIS.

I liked Sumdaze’s recap.

sumdaze said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the puzzle -- especially from our 2 colorblind posters.

Apologies for neglecting to send out a CSO to IM. I immediately thought of her then got side-tracked. It has been a busy week for me....

CanadianEh! @ 10:34. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant that perhaps "Rosebud" was an Easter egg for the TV show -- not for this puzzle. I am familiar with the "Citizen Kane" reference but I thought perhaps there was another reason the writers chose that specific name for the motel.

Picard @ 11:35. I was very interested in the pics you posted today of the C&O towpath. When I lived in DC, I spent a lot of time on it (running & cycling). They no longer have the barges and donkeys but they have several bicycle camping sites along the path. The sites are simple -- just a picnic table, a flat spot for a tent, and a hand pump to draw fresh water. They also had interesting historical markers. DH and I would spend a few days taking advantage of the free camping & pleasant surroundings whenever we could.
BTW, is that teen in the middle of the first pic looking at his phone?
; )

sumdaze said...

Monkey @ 3:50. I'm glad you are both back home now, safe & sound!

Malodorous Manatee said...

Picard @ 11:35 - Yes I was a Cal student for four college quarters. I dropped out and moved to Oregon where I learned quite a bit from the local farmers who were the most self-sufficient group of folks I ever came across. Eventually, I dropped back into school and, eventually, eded up doing six years of college over a period of ten years. Two years on, two years off, two years on, two years off, two years on.

Sumdaze, you have developed a downright Hatoolah-esq touch with the cartoons and that is meant as a sincere compliment (to both of you).

Monkey said...

Oops I missed a d on liked.

Monkey said...

Thank you Sumdaze @ 4:11.

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

Late to the party today as I was busy multi-tasking (as well as watching my Steelers go down to yet another playoff defeat)

FIR - I, too was surprised by the reveal. Good "aha" moment

sumdaze, please check your email as I asked a question about how to put text underneath a picture on the blog. You did it several times today ... please share how!! Thanks

sumdaze said...

C-Moe @ 8:18. I just now sent you an email.
= )

unclefred said...

Oopsy. I said Packers play Niners next Sunday at 8:15pm on NBC. WRONG: Packers play Niners 8:15pm Saturday on Fox.