google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, January 9th, 2024, Freddie Cheng

Advertisements

Jan 9, 2024

Tuesday, January 9th, 2024, Freddie Cheng

 EEK~!

 OR

 - where to find a common rodent -

Today's puzzle consists of three theme fills of two 12- and one 13-letter spanners, with a 'broken' reveal of 9-letters across the bottom line.  Two 10-letter DOWN answers as well.  Not so many names today, but lots of abbreviations.  Some "meh" answers, IMHO, and an unusually longer than normal Tuesday solve time for me, but we FIR, so....

19. Home of Cinderella Castle: MAGIC KINGDOM - here's the "home" of a certain M. Mouse

Ominous

36. Unpretentious business: HOLE IN THE WALL - like a local bar, say

Thanks Hahtoolah~!

54. Pizza/arcade chain founded by Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell: CHUCK E. CHEESE - HuskerG showed us how "Chuck" used to be a RAT; now he's a MOUSE~?

65. With 67-Across, desktop accessories, and a description of 19-, 36-, and 54-Across?: MOUSE
67. See 65-Across: PADS - PADS in the colloquial sense of home, crib, abode, castle, etc. - here's my blogging spot and desktop mouse pad....

And Away We Go~! ( see 39D.)

ACROSS:

1. Swimmer's exercise: LAPS - C.C. and I have a friendly challenge to push each other by Easter to an accomplishment - I would like to lose 10+lbs, and she would like to do a butterfly LAP in the pool without the aid of flippers - I hope we both succeed~!

5. __ shift: DAY

8. Venomous African snake: MAMBA

13. "Just doing my best": "I TRY"

14. Rough cut: DEMO - meh.  I suppose a raw recording of one's music~? And a  semi-abbr.

15. Is in neutral: IDLES

16. Eye lubricant: TEAR

17. Diamond dynasty: ALOU - baseball diamond....knew this from doing crosswords

18. Earns: MAKES

22. Standard: USUAL

23. Matches, in fashion: GOES - as in "that bag GOES well with that dress"

the shoes, too

24. __ green: PEA - I painted my "home office" in a shade of green called "Aquamarine" - what I really wanted was the official name/formula for the shade of green that the NY Bridge & Tunnel Authority paints their spans, e.g., the Throgs Neck Bridge, which the internet calls "grey green"; I wrote to them, and was told that they are "not allowed" to disclose that information....Really~?  I asked some friends who work for NY DOT, and one suggested finding the contractor who does the painting, and my brother said to go through FOIL - it's not that important  :7))

Two mile span between Long Island and the Bronx

27. "Get it?": SEE - so I suppose this paint color hassle could be called "GREEN TAPE"  - Get it~?

28. Gambling initials: OTB - Off-Track Betting - abbr. #1

31. Dollhouse dishes: TEA SETS - oh, those doll house dishes....uh, never mind....

33. Captivated: ENRAPT - yeah, Spellcheck is not happy about this, either....

35. Top out: PEAK - think hit songs; this one PEAKed at #1 the year I was born

 
Jeremiah was a bullfrog~!

40. Veal __: Italian entree, briefly: PARMesan - abbr. #2

41. "The way things stand ... ": "AS IT IS..."

42. From Moscow: RUSSIAN - I blogged the Nov 1st, 2023 puzzle with Moscow, IDAHO - not Russian

45. Did not get up: SAT - meh.  Stayed Seated, maybe

46. Orchestra home: PIT

49. "Can't Get It Out of My Head" gp.: ELO - Electric Light Orchestra - abbr. #3

50. Wharton degs.: MBAs - Master of Business Administration - abbr. #4

52. Computer problem: CRASH - meh - I think a problem could cause a crash...

57. Arctic dome: IGLOO - I once did a presentation for an architect with this massive build-up of the 'greatest piece of building engineering since the dawn of man, using local building materials to reduce its carbon footprint', then revealed a picture of an igloo - his partner praised me for my clever deception


60. Lie low: HIDE

61. One of 14 in a pro's golf bag: CLUB - oops, I had IRON - can you imagine the pitch on a 14-iron~?
These go to "eleven" ( 12, actually )

62. __ buddy: BOSOMTV show with Tom Hanks, way back in 1980

63. Passport fig.: ID No. - meh. - abbr. #5

64. Sheltered at sea: ALEE - crossword staple

66. Ad Council ad: PSA - Public Service Announcement - abbr. #6


DOWN:

1. Acid or base indicator: LITMUS - Dah~!  I tried Ph TEST first

2. "Relax, soldier": AT EASE

3. European capital with a medieval astronomical clock: PRAGUE - I knew this, but hesitated to fill in; I worked on a TV movie set back in 1997, and we used shots the director got of the ornate clock for some dramatic interludes


4. Aleppo's land: SYRIA - I nailed this one

5. Sandwich shop: DELI

6. "__ Us": multiplayer logic and deduction game: AMONG - 3/5ths perps, 2/5s WAG

7. Encouraging message: YOU GOT THIS

8. Brunch drink: MIMOSA

9. "House of Gucci" actor Driver: ADAM - he played Darth Vader's grandson, Kylo Ren


10. Civil rights monogram: MLK - abbr. #7

11. Spelling meet: BEE

12. Braying animal: ASS

14. Terr. that became two states: DAKota - abbr. #8

20. Replicant: CLONE - two blogging puzzles in a row with this word

21. Poor grade: DEE

24. Come off like old paint: PEEL - I had CHIP

25. Listing abbr.: ET. AL. - abbr. #9

26. "Go find out!": ASK

29. Tetra- minus one: TRI - four, less uni = three

30. Dried fruit in trail mix, perhaps: BANANA CHIP

32. Facial spots: SPAS - Dah~! I had ACNE; a clever clue

33. Targets of some bark beetles: ELMS - WAG; up here in CT, several of my ASH trees were killed by a beetle, and now I have a lot of firewood

my backyard on Sunday

34. FG's three: PTs - American Football, Field goal points - abbr. #10

He hits the post~!

36. Carry with effort: HAUL - TOTE, DRAG, HUMP, HEFT, etc.

37. Thereabouts: OR SO

38. Lyft status: ETA -abbr. #11

39. Glinda or Elphaba of "Wicked": WITCH  - the cartoon from which I get "And Away We Go"

40. Kin of ante-: PRE-

43. "Just got back from work!": "I'M HOME~!"

44. __ Dhabi: ABU

46. Rice dish from Valencia: PAELLA

47. Put into circulation: ISSUED

48. Ancient city whose ruins are in Luxor: THEBES


51. Overcomes friction: SKIDS - ah, in the negative sort of way....

53. Sum up: RECAP

54. Sounds like a dove: COOS

55. Poet __ St. Vincent Millay: EDNA

56. Org chart topper, typically: CEO - the Chief Executive Officer - abbr. #12

57. Watsonx's maker: IBM - technically, an abbr.

58. Sludge: GOO

59. Sch. with a Shreveport campus: LSU - Louisiana State University - abbr. #13

Splynter



34 comments:

Subgenius said...

For some reason, I didn’t notice the reveal, even after I solved the puzzle, and so the theme remained opaque to me until I came to this Corner. All I can say is “D-oh!” Anyway, other than that I had no real difficulties with this puzzle. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Splynter, you're becoming a regular corner irregular. Well done. This one came together in about the same time as yesterday, and with zero missteps to boot. D-o even managed to get the theme. Thanx for the exercise, Freddie.

MOUSE PAD: Nope. My weapon of choice is a roller-ball mouse.

CRASH: Frequent crashes -- several times per day and often multiple times per hour -- caused me to replace my less-than-two-year-old HP. The itsy 4" x 4" Geekcom is performing well. Fingers crossed.

desper-otto said...

Actually it's a Geekom -- I was C-ing letters that aren't there.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased cobra for MA MBA (not to be confused with Wharton MBAs.)

Today is:
NATIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT APPRECIATION DAY (I back the blue)
NATIONAL STATIC ELECTRICITY DAY (no static at all, FM)
NATIONAL SHOP FOR TRAVEL DAY (how ‘bout them popout-door 737 Max 9 aircraft?)
NATIONAL APRICOT DAY (people like it – they say it has a peel)
NATIONAL BALLOON ASCENSION DAY (ballooning can be fun, but it has its ups and downs)

In my experience, a DEMO is all shined up and polished, the best one can expect. Now gimme a contract.

"Come off like old paint" sounds like a teen boy bragging to his buddies about his prom date.

Maybe the teen boy made a BOSOM buddy?

I learned everything I know about SYRIA from "Aleppo Gary" Johnson.

FLN: If you hadn't have taken Algebra I and II, how could have you understood Trig and Calculus?

Thanks, Freddie, for a fun romp. And thanks to Splynter for another great fill-in. Do folks in your neck of the woods refer to FOILs like we do FOIAs here?

KS said...

FIR. I agree with Splynter, there were too many abrieviations. That made this Tuesday puzzle a tad crunchy for my liking.
The theme was clever, but I didn't see it until the entire puzzle was done. After staring at it a while, I had my "aha" moment and saw the light.

inanehiker said...

Cute theme with the split reveal at the bottom- I didn't fully get the HOLE-IN-THE-WALL until Splynter's recycled mouse cartoon as it related to the theme. CHUCK E. CHEESE got a double CSO this week.

I thought more of the Wild West gangs' hideout in Wyoming which became the name for Paul Newman's summer camps for kids with illnesses , funded by the proceeds of his salad dressing and other foods
https://www.holeinthewallgang.org/about/Founder-and-History/

Thanks Splynter and Freddie -

I have to head to work- but with more bad weather today it will be a day of cancellations. Always shake my head that my 90 yr old patients will still make it with an hour drive and my millenial patient a mile away won't on a day like this.

Anonymous said...

Took 4:29 today for me to tear through this like Speedy Gonzalez. Or, I did it in (Stuart) Little time?

Seemed like a typical Tuesday puzzle. Not much to say about this one either.

Lucina said...

Hola!

A few wite-out spots are glaring at me but mostly this was an easy rout. I had MUD before GOO and don't recall what before OMB went in there.

MMM. I love PAELLA! That recalls some nice memories of my visit to Spain.

I haven't been to CHUKE E CHEESE in a long time. All the children who had parties there are now grown.

MAMBA reminds me of the dance teacher we had who misused that word in place of MAMBO.

LITMUS was an answer in last night's JEOPARDY game.

I don't know why OMB are gambling initials. Anyone?

Time for me to return to bed.

Have a great day, everyone!



Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was a Tuesday level with no unknowns and no w/os, leading to a smooth and quick solve. The cute theme was hidden until the clever reveal, at least to me. The three letter word count (23) was high and, as Splynter mentioned, had a disproportionate number of abbreviations/initialisms.

Thanks, Freddie, and thanks, Splynter, for pinch hitting once again.

FLN

UncleFred, glad to hear from you. So sorry that your cataract surgery was so complicated and painful. Hope you're on the mend!

Have a good day.

Irish Miss said...

Lucina @ 8:11 ~ OTB = Off Track Betting.

Big Easy said...

Tuesday puzzles are usually easy so I tried to see how many downs I could fill before looking at any cross clues. I surprised myself, filling over half correctly, only changing ACNE to SPAS for "Facial spots" and FIRS to ELMS for 33D. What a nice puzzle with minimal proper names and NO UNKNOWNS.

'Matches in fashion'- it depends on the year and 'who' the fashionista in charge says what GOES with what. Me? I don't care.

Nolan Bushnell- Started both ATARI with Pong and CHUCK E CHEESE pizza.

And how many other Cornerites attended 59-D- LSU-Shreveport? I attended the 2nd & 3rd years after it opened and look back and realize how lucky I was. Small class sizes taught by PhDs. No graduate assistant teachers. You couldn't cut class, unlike other campuses with large class sizes. But that was back in the days when the girls wore dresses. I still remember one summer class in organic chemistry when a girl asked the prof if she could wear shorts and he said "I don't care if you come naked". She wore shorts the next day and I think that was the last time I saw a dress on any girl on campus. And it's still that way. The girls wear shorts, slacks, and sometimes pajamas to classes.

Charlie Echo said...

Easy FIR. A lot of green paint and meh cluing, IMHO. Loved the Han & Leia 'toon, Splynter!

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Freddie and Splynter.
I FIRed and saw the rodent theme in good time.
No inkblots, as I waited for perps to confirm my first thoughts.

Cobra is not African; MAMBA perped.
Not BLM today, but the monogram MLK. I think your American holiday is next week.

Perps filled PTS and IBM.
Alternate answer for 3D could have been Bern, but it was too short. Bern is the capital of Switzerland, and als has a medieval astronomical clock, famous for inspiring Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. I must dig out my photos from our Swiss tour.

Wishing you all a great day.

RosE said...

Good Morning! A nice Tuesday puzzle. Thanks, Freddie. Fun theme that came together as I worked my way down the grid. I liked the split reveal at the bottom.

I still use a MOUSE with my laptop, but I’ve gotten away from using a designated PAD. I’ll find something with a nubby surface at wherever around the house I’ve taken my laptop. I’ve never liked those square things at the base for fingers. My mouse moves the cursor much quicker and more accurately.

I hit a snag at (TEA) SETS. I had SETS in, then took it out, then put it back in when SPAS appeared. Clever misdirection! My other WO was, like Splynter said, “iron” became CLUB. I know those bags are heavy but 14 irons, plus woods and putter…🤣🤣🤣. What was I thinking!
Thanks, Splynter, for the (53D) RECAP.

CrossEyedDave said...

Hmm,

Overcomes friction = skates, (loses friction=skids...) IMHO

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to screw up which clues went where...
For instance, I came to the Blog to find out why "home of cinderellas castle = hole in the wall?"
I actually had to reload the puzzle and make sure there was no misprint making the clue for 19a apply to 36a
(No, it was just me...)

not the first time today something made me tilt my head...

My son in law was throwing away this oversized mousepad.. I said, I'll take it, I'll find a use for it! Well, I haven't used a mouse pad since mice went from rollerball to laser... a foot wider, and I could have used it as an under pad for jigsaw puzzles you could roll up partially completed. It's been a year now, and I still can't find a dang use for it! Any ideas?

Parsan said...

Enjoyed this puzzle, and liked the clues to GOES and ALOU. A nice reminder of Felipe, Jesus and Matty. Thanks Freddie (I like your name, my cat is Freddy).! Splynter - Seeing and hearing TDN evokes a past long gone.

FIW by a dumb mistake - momba instead of MAMBA led to Odam instead of ADAM.

One of the abbreviations could have been eliminated by clueing DAK as “Cowboy quarterback” DAK Prescott, even though it is short for Dakota he is called DAK.

Years ago my roommate dated a med student who alleviated stress by applying large canvases with papier mache - colorfully painted strips of paper applied in layers to a canvas. He gave us one and we hung it over a radiator. Sometimes we would come home from work and the heat had cause first layers of the paper to sag down onto the radiator. We would PEEL them off and the new ly exposed strips would give us a whole different painting.

RosE said...

FLN: Many years ago I toyed with learning calligraphy, but the information at the time was that it wasn't something left-handers could do. Since your conversation LN, I looked into it again and saw there are many resources available. Hmmmm, maybe I might try it again. My handwriting has morphed into half cursive, half print. Very readable; revenge to my 1st grade teacher who slapped my hand with a ruler!!

Yellowrocks said...

Easy Monday and Tuesday puzzles. No problems.
The uncertainty about the path, time table and amount of snow made Sunday and Monday difficult, requiring rearranging schedules on the fly. I was responsible for getting Alan home, rescheduling our monthly floor party here, taking in account that another activity took our time slot. Deciding not to cancel our square dance class which is followed by a dance involved consulting other officers and notifying members and potential guests. The snow was not as quite as bad as expected and it all worked out smoothly. We had one of the biggest turnout of dancers that we have had in some time. Those gate receipts were much needed.
I hope you all stayed safe. This afternoon we are due for a flood with heavy rain and melting snow.
The rebel did not GET UP for the national anthem; he just SAT there.
Overcome friction, reduce friction, lose friction "macht nichts", in my opinion.
If I had one nit it would be Demo.
Gotta run, catching up on yesterday's missed tasks. I am hosting the rescheduled floor party at 3:00.

Monkey said...

What a fun theme. I FIR in no time. I wasn’t bothered by the abbreviations.

I think MIMOSAs are a terrible thing to do to Champagne.

I enjoyed Splynter’s nice recap.

unclefred said...

This one came together much faster than yesterday, which was my first attempt at a CW in almost two months, and which I had to cheat to fill. Today: so much better, some of the mental cobwebs cleared out I guess, so I managed to FIR in much better than usual Tuesday time (for me), although, as usual, I didn't take the time to figure out the theme; Splynter had to enlighten me. The "MOUSE PADS" clues reminded me of a long ago "Dilbert" cartoon: the pointy-haired-boss calls Ratbert's tech support: "My mouse is at the very edge of my mousepad, and I need to move the cursor further. What do I do?" Ratbert, wagging his tail, says: "You need to buy my jumbo sized mousepad!" Anyway, even though I didn't take the time to see the theme, this was a fun CW, thanx FC. And thanx too to Splynter for 'splainin' it, and for the terrific write-up.

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

FIR but with a couple of W/O's

Very creative puzzle with a clever reveal

Thanks Splynter for your pinch-hitting

I'd like to say this was an easy solve for me, but I would be lying

Misty said...

Fun Tuesday puzzle, not too hard, not too easy, many thanks, Freddie. And I liked your commentary, Splynter--especially the chance to hear the guy sing "Joy to the World."

Cute to see TEA SETS as the Dollhouse dishes. No small children in the family anymore (grandson is 19) so haven't seen a dollhouse in decades.

Hard to imagine how a banana (I had one for breakfast) could be turned into a "chip".

My desktop is too old-fashioned to have a MOUSE.

Have a great day, everybody.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-What a fun puzzle after scooping 7” of ice and snow!
-Some home flippers on HGTV said they are not allowed to use the commercial name for colors of paint they use.
-My friend uses no irons. His CLUBS go up to a 15 wood.
-50% of Canadians live south of North Dakota
-PEELING (removing) wallpaper is a job I would only do for my wife or my daughters!
-A Michigan kicker hit the goal post upright last night and it bounced through
-I remember how ENRAPT I was when I first saw characters on a screen after entering them on a keyboard and seeing an arrow move when I moved this thing they called a MOUSE!

Anonymous said...

A fun theme and some clever clues.
A few too many abbreviated clues IMHO
I had one W-O Acne/Spas
Thanks for a fun Tuesday Freddie
An excellent recap Splynter
…kkFlorida

Ray - O - Sunshine said...



A bit of a HAUL to finish for a Tuesday.

Inkovers: ere/PRE

I’ve finally learnt to stop knee jerk filling cobra. Seems MAMBA is the CW “poisonous snake” du jour. Canada eh, some CWs use asp as a type of cobra found in Egypt (ask Cleopatra) which is in Africa which is…oh never mind 😀
Got to experience the PRAGUE clock on our Danube River tour pre-COVID
Many of my 3 rd generation Syrian American friends discovered that they are actually ethnically Armenian: descendants of massive 18th immigration to ALEPPO.

FGs 3?… Which WITCH is which,“Glinda or Elphaba”? Almost tried “computer” glitch for CRASH but too long….what is a “Watsonx”? And why does IBM make one. (Is Holmes sidekick now a robot?)

IDNO? c’mon…(“Alexa gimme a clue for a nonsense answer”). Using a game I ASSume many of us have never heard of for the answer AMONG seems out there for so early in the week.

Ecdysiast performance…. ATEASE
Ecdysiast performance…..TEASETS
Robbers with rhinitis….THEBES
Not an “encouraging message” from a flu test….YOU GOT THIS
“Don’t dry out your pen”….RECAP

Late to the party.. cuz

Been having daily headaches since the ablation. 🤕 I figured due to adjustment of meds and self limiting . Found out this AM my BP is off the wall. Never been hypertensive.

FLN 👀

S’pose to have cataract surgery. (they are what the eye docs euphemistically call “ripe”) but after reading last nites horror stories think I’ll let them “rot” and fall off by themselves.

Brian said...

If you are playing to the rules of golf, 14 clubs is the limit including woods, irons, and putter.

Jayce said...

Mouse pad. Haha. Funny :)

sumdaze said...

Thanks, Freddy! MOUSE PADS was cute. Good thing Patti gave us the heads up on CHUCK E CHEESE no longer being a rat.

Thanks, Splynter for your fun review! Who knows what nefarious things you might get up to with that paint info. Facial spots threw me, too. Thanks for explaining OTB.
Have you heard Taylor Negron's story on The Moth about Three Dog Night? You might like it. It's a classic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z12ISVpdh60

I've never played golf. 14 clubs sounds like a lot. How many clubs do our Corner golfers carry around?

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Thanks for the fun puzzle, Freddie. Took me a second to think of PAD but the theme was fun.

Thanks, Splynter, for the wonderful recap. Is that Eddie Van Halen's guitar pattern on your MOUSE PAD?

WO: CHUCie CHEESE [oops]
ESPs: EDNA, THEBES
Fav: I'll go with IBM 'cuz I had to lookup WatsonX post solve. #Learning!

Ray-O: Remember IBM's Watson from Jeopardy? Watsonx is the AI off-spring.

FLN - I use basic algebra all the time. E.g., if I have $80 but need $110 how much more money do I need (80+x=110)?

Here's my MOUSE PAD.
//I too hate the trackpads on laptops - moves the dang mouse on my when I'm typing which changes the focused window. I disable it unless I'm flying.

BigE - DW took a few classes at LSU-S prior to us moving to Ruston.

Misty - how old is your computer that is doesn't have a mouse?

Sumdaze - My golf game sucks (I only play once every few years when BIL asks me) so I only carry 3 clubs: a driver, 6 iron, and a putter.

Y'all have a great day.
Cheers, -T

Lucina said...

CEDave
Do you do jigsaw puzzles? That pad could be a backdrop for one to hold it together albeit a small one.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Golf clubs:
Woods - 1 (driver), 3, 5, rescue
Irons - 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pitching wedge, sand wedge, lob wedge
Putter
==========
total 14

I don't really use my 3 wood, but don't own anything I would rather carry.

Misty said...

Anon T,

I'm guessing I've had my computer for twenty or more years. I have absolutely no memory of when and where and how I got it.
It's a Dell and has a little silver square on the surface that says Intel CORE i7 vPRO, but I have no idea what that means. And I had to look up to see what a computer MOUSE is--I gather a device that lets you move a thing on your desk with a symbol to move around your screen to identify specific items or places.

I'm clearly part of an older generation, but I love my computer and use it all day long to look up things, and write and read messages, and learn about all sort of stuff--an absolutely wonderful gift. Can't imagine how I could do without it.

And, hey, I get to communicate and learn about all of you, when I have time to read all your interesting messages! Now that's a gift too!

Ray - O - Sunshine said...



Anon Tony @4:09

Again speaking of AI (Rarely watch either Jeopardy or W of F) just left one of our Zoom group meetings (as if I don’t already have enough headaches.) A new AI algorithm introduced to supplement CT chest cases. “Computer Assisted Diagnosis” (CAD). One day I’m gonna walk in my office and find a robot sitting at my work station..

Chairman Moe said...

My current bag has 13 clubs: Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3-6 hybrids; 7-SW, putter