google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday November 23, 2008 Alan P. Olschwang

Advertisements

Nov 23, 2008

Sunday November 23, 2008 Alan P. Olschwang

Theme: Legal-Easy

23A: Star of Arthur Baer quote: BETTING IS PRETTY

47A: Part 2 of quote: MUCH LIKE LIQUOR: YOU

67A: Part 3 of quote: CAN MAKE IT

92A: Part 4 of quote: ILLEGAL, BUT YOU CAN'T

119A: End of quote: MAKE IT UNPOPULAR

I was not familiar with Arthur Baer. Wikipedia says he was the reported source of Babe Ruth's nickname "The Sultan of Swat".

Had a tough time solving this puzzle. It's not that difficult, but I made it so with a few confident false starts. Filled in NORMA for 7D: Actress Shearer (MOIRA) and ADAM for 52A: Scott of the PGA (HOCH). And I made a total mess in the lower left corner.

So now I have in front of me a very ugly finished puzzle. I could not even get NETSUKE (68D: Japanese collectibles). I just sat besides a hardcore NETSUKE collector on a wedding not so long ago. He bored me with his collections. These are so erotic.

I thought "Red leader?" is a better clue for INFRA (14A: Red beginning?). Infrastructure is another potential word to clue INFRA. "Structure beginning?" sounds good.

Across:

1A: Waggable appendage: TAIL. Is "waggable" a real word?

5A: Leggy legs: GAMS. This answer made me question my sanity. I was convinced that the intersecting 7D ("Actress Shearer") is NORMA rather than MOIRA. I wish the clue were "Ballerina Shearer".

9A: James and Tommie: AGEES. James AGEE drank too much in his life. I've never seen Tommie AGEE play baseball. This is his 1970s Topps cards.

27A: Police officer, at times: ARRESTER

37A: Greenish blue: CYAN. What's the difference between CYAN and teal?

39A: Musical practice piece: ETUDE. Chopin's ETUDE "The Winter Wind".

45A: No. cruncher: CPA

57A: Home port of War of 1812: ERIE. I guessed. I was not aware of the Battle of Lake ERIE (1813).

58A: Sicilian resort: ENNA. "Sicilian Volcano" is ETNA.

59A: Money managers of a sort: LAUNDERERS. So true!

66A: Kernel's coat: TESTA. The outer, hard cover. ARIL is the soft coat.

71A: Most-wanted group: A LIST. I like this clue, though I was thinking of "American's Most Wanted" criminals.

77A: Scottish Gaelic: ERSE. The clue should be changed to "Irish tongue" because of GAELS (108A: Some Highlanders).

78A: "Exodus" co-star: SAL MINEO. I've never seen "Exodus", have you?

80A: Unblemished: IMMACULATE. And 106D: Blemished: ACNED. I only knew the noun.

88A: Mountain passes: COLS. I got it from down fills.

89A: Teton Sioux tribe: OGLALA. Crazy Horse was a member of OGLALA Lakota, so was Red Cloud. Very cool names.

96A: Peg with a concave top: TEE. Golf TEE, right?

99A: Former deejay Casey: KASEM. How can I remember his name? KASEM sounds so Muslim.

111A: Accelerate!: STEP ON IT. And 14D: Will, by all expectations (3 wds). Strange to have "3 wds", totally unnecessary.

122A: Illinois city near St. Louis: ALTON. See this map. It's 15 miles north of St. Louis. Famous for the 7th debate between Lincoln and Douglas in 1858. Completely unknown to me.

126A: Feudal lord: MESNE. Another stranger to me. I am used to LIEGE as an answer to "Feudal lord".

128A: Icelandic literary work: EDDA. Most of the Norse mythology came from the two EDDAS.

Down:

1D: Big brass: TUBAS. I was surprised to learn that the tuba player is called tubist.

3D: Technical details: INTRICACIES

6D: Infamous Hiss: ALGER. Last time ALGER was clued as "Ragged Dick" author.

10D: Lobbed missile: GRENADE

12D: Those, south of the border: ESTAS. Vs. ESOS. And 15D: North of Mexico: NORTE. Vs. SUR.

13D: Sutherland movie: S*P*Y*S. I got this movie title from the across fills.

16D: Improvisational performance: FREE STYLE

25D: Flower part: PISTIL. See this diagram. It's opposite of stamen.

30D: Viewer's magazine: TV GUIDE

33D: Type of toast: MELBA. Looks delicious. Needs some foie gras though.

35D: Old, ugly woman: BELDAME. New word to me. How strange, since BEL means "good".

38D: Life-drawing subjects: NUDES

40D: A. Godfrey's instrument: UKE

41D: Area meas.: SQ IN

46D: __ cochere (sheltered entrance): PORTE. Here is a great picture. PORTE is simply "door" in French.

48D: Like dunce caps: CONIC. I always want CONED.

49D: Barbera's partner in cartoon: HANNA. I googled this one. HANNA-Barbera Cartoons now belongs to Time Warner.

51D: Country characteristic: RURALISM. I checked, it's a real word, so is urbanism.

53D: Hot period: HEAT WAVE

59D: Dam's creation: LAKE. I wish this clue were "57A, e.g." (ERIE).

60D: Mild yellow cheese: EDAM. What's your favorite cheese?

62D: __ de Triomphe: L'ARC. It's not grand at all in the daylight. Quite beautiful in the evening time.

63D: Nagy of Hungary: IMRE. Another google. This guy always gives me trouble. He looks like a bad Japanese guy in our elementary history book.

70D: Indian drum: TABLA. Here is a picture. I can only think of sitar, which is a lute.

72D: 2005 Jessica Alba film: INTO THE BLUE. I've never seen this film, is it good?

73D: Cast net: SEINE. I was fooled again. SEINE is more than a river. SEINE with a SEINE in SEINE.

76D: Mexican peninsula: YUCATAN

80D: Mother of Horus: ISIS. I linked ISIS feeding Horus last time when ISIS was clued as "Goddess of fertility".

81D: Miss: Fr.: MLLE. SRTA in Spain.

82D: Abuses: MALTREAT. Did you try MISTREAT first?

83D: Droop: LOLL

93D: French river: GARONNE. Very frustrating intersection with MESNE. I knew neither of them. I can only find GARONNE Canel.

95D: Prepare to advance: TAG UP. Baseball term. After a flyball, the runner has to return and touch the base before advancing.

103D: Sort of strings?: APRON. APRON string. Not a cute clue to me.

110D: Turkish gulf: SAROS. See this map. I got it from across fills. Have never heard of Gulf of SAROS.

111D: Body toss: SLAM. Boxing term?

112D: TV part?: TELE. Greek prefix for "far".

113D: Apple offering: iMAC

117D: __ Linda, CA: LOMA. See this map. It appeared in our puzzle before.

120D: Author Follett: KEN. His name emerged after I got the surrounds. Have never heard of this author before. He has dimples too.

121D: Shoshone: UTE. I am bored by this clue.

C.C.

26 comments:

Martin said...

C.C.,

Due to technical difficulties I couldn't comment about yesterday's puzzle: I did it online and finished in 26 minutes and 26 seconds but I had to guess with the M in atrium and MTA, the T in atrium and trapezius, the P in aspin and trapezius, the letter intersecting Rosas and Sahel, the E intersecting Sahel and Celebes,
the M in Qom and Mtossa, the G in Troggs and GTO and the letter intersecting Seatal and Attar.

I saw the movie Into the Blue. I've seen just about all of Jessica Alba's movies. To be blunt, she's not somebody who stars in good movies: rather she's somebody who producers look for when they have a bad script and they need a pretty face because there are people who will watch movies just for that reason. I'll also watch anything with Hsu Qi.

Martin

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Martin,
I like Hsu Qi too. I see you really fall in love with Chinese culture. Have not solved your Sunday puzzle yet?

Chris & Gatormom,
I think a "var" is needed for yesterday's SAKIS clue.

Dick,
Left to right symmetrical grid is very very rare.

Argyle,
Thanks for the "Small GTO". Nice "Answer the Phone" theme title.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Clear Ayes,
I ditto your point on bucks. Great slang link.

J.D.,
I feel that most of the pretty grids are from Saturday themeless puzzles.

Barb B,
I don't know much about education system here in the US. Can you get a MA degree without obtaining a BA first?

Martin said...

I didn't buy the paper today and I can't do it online. It's okay because by the time people start discussing today's puzzle I'll be in bed already.

I like Hsu Qi too. I see you really fall in love with Chinese culture.

Or perhaps Hsu Qi herself.

Martin

Argyle said...

111D: Body toss: SLAM. Boxing term?

No, not boxing. ;-)
Body Slam

Chris in LA said...

Good morning CC etal,

This one really kicked my fanny - glad they print the answers in my paper otherwise I'd still be struggling. Across I didn't know agees, ulan, erse, sal mineo, culs, mesne & edda, down I didn't know moira, imre, seine (still don't get how that means "cast net"), garonne & saros.

All in all, very frustrating - as Dennis would say, a true hammer for my tiny little mind this morning.

But on the good side, the Buckeyes beat Michigan for the 5th time in a row! LSU got embarrassed by Ole Miss, but I guess you can't win them all. Happy Sunday! My Saints don't play 'til tomorrow night, so a slow football day for me today.

CC: thanks for (var) agreement on yesterday's sakis.

Anonymous said...

Yuch ! Yuck Yuck! This puzzle of Mr. Olschwang is just not fair for us puzzle solvers. Who ever heard of Beldame, some unknown Deejay, netsuke, doable,a fuedal lord called "mesne" or some thing called "area meas". It is not fair and I protest. The clues were such that you had to second and third guess the meaning. Mr Olschwang shame on you!!! Making us work and think is why we work the puzzle , but none of us have second sight. "acned" for blemissh !! What is that???

abogato in Alabama

Dick said...

Good morning CC, DFs and Dfettes...a difficult puzzle today. It took me most of the morning to complete as I had to walk away several times before completing. There were sever trips to Mr G to get all of the fills.

I made several mistakes like roil in lieu stir for 86A and etna in lieu of enna for 58A. However we had this clue recently and I remembered in time to correct that before it caused much trouble. The really toublesome mistake was inserting sneaksin for stealsin for 61A. wow did this screw up that section for awhile.

Overall I liked the c/w even if it did take a long while to complete.

CC I had no problem with the apron clue as "apron strings" is an expression that I have heard and used my whole life. Also, I agree with your comment that "Left to right symmetrical grid is very very rare" I cannot believe that I have not seen it in the past 50 years of doing puzzles. Oh well sometimes I cannot remember yesterday.

Hope you all have a great week end and go Penn State and sorry Pitt.

Anonymous said...

After incidentally getting 35 down, beldame, I looked it up in the dictionary. Without the second "e" it means nag or crone. With the second "e" it means grandmother. My dictionary is an old edition. Maybe the usage and spelling is more casual now.

DoesItinInk said...

This was not a gimme puzzle, but I completed it more quickly that I would have guessed and with only one incorrect square! I had heard of Casey KASEM but was not certain of how he spelled his last name…C or K. I guessed C, hence my one error.

@cc: 59A is LAUNDERERS.

@cc: Your examples of NETSUKE were definitely erotic. They remind me of the Jain temples in Khajuraho, India which are covered with erotically inclined couples.

@Chris in LA: a seine is a type of net used in fishing. You cast a seine net.

@abrogato…not DOABLE, DO-ABLE. Better?

@mark in Buenos Aires: You have not given us any cryptic clues/answers for awhile. I really enjoyed them and would love to see more.

ULAN Bator. ULAN-Ude. What does ULAN mean…in Mongolian?? I am guessing it is more than just a place name or a good crossword puzzle word.

I have often seen the clue “race in The Time Machine” with the answer ELOI but do not know what it means. Can anyone explaine, please?

I did all my shopping for Thanksgiving yesterday including my Burbon Red heritage turkey, so I feel all ready. My girls will all come home on Wednesday evening, and we will all cook together on Thursday. My sister, her husband, three children and dog will be here for the gala event. They are bringing the pies. It should be a good time. I hope everyone has a chance to spend time with family this week.

kazie said...

I don't have this puzzle yet--I've been getting them the Thursday after each Sunday lately, so it helps to read the comments and test my memory after four days.

Ink,
Did you find your turkey "mister"?

c.c.,
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie "Exodus" as a teenager (I think), but I'd already read the book and loved Paul Newman, so it was a foregone conclusion. I'd forgotten that Sal Mineo was in it. He must have played Dov, I think, the young guy who survives the Holocaust by being a forger for the Nazis.

As far as I know, you need a Bachelor's degree of some sort before you can go for an M.A.

Eileen,
my Websters doesn't distinguish between the different spellings for beldame--gives both meanings with the spellings as alternates. It sounds like something that may have started tongue-in-cheek to me, since bel is a form of beautiful and dame means lady.

In French, mother-in-law or stepmother is belle-mère, grand'mère is grandmother.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Martin,
Do you like Zhang Zi-Yi? I love Andy Lau.

Argyle,
Thanks for the body SLAM. You are my knight in shining armour. How about GARONNE River? I've been waiting for you for a link.

Chris,
AGEES, ULAN & EDDA have all appeared in our puzzles several times since I started blogging. How about worms for dinner if you miss them again next time?

Abogato in Alabama,
Wow, you were mad. You should try TMS online puzzle on weekdays.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Eileen,
What dictionary are you using? How old is it?

Ink,
ULAN is "red" in Mongolian.

Kazie,
Have you heard of GARONNE river before? Is ACNED (clued as "Blemished") a solid word?

kazie said...

c.c.,
Yes, I have heard of it, and I found a map. It rises in the Pyrénées and flows intro the Atlantic at Bordeaux.

kazie said...

P.S., You have to scroll down a bit to see the full size map. That link took about ten lines when I pasted it in--just as well we have this nifty way of linking!

DoesItinInk said...

@kazie: Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I am not looking for a turkey mister. The clue was “Turkey mister”, and I was trying to think of a tool used to mist a turkey with oil perhaps. Of course the answer was TOM.

@cc: Yes, the word is spelled DOABLE, but abogato said he had not heard of the word. I though perhaps if it were broken down into its components…. Sometime I see a compound word in a puzzle, out of context, and I don’t “get” it right away.

…and thank you for explaining ULAN. Do you speak Mongolian?

Clear Ayes said...

Good Evening All, We have been indulging ourselves in a lazy Sunday at home. No Sunday puzzle, so no hurry to check in.

C.C. RE: GAMS, According to my husband, who considers himself an expert on such things, there are legs and then there are standout GAMS! Two of his favorites are Jamie Lee Curtis and Charlize Theron.

I have been taking an art class and there is a difference between CYAN and teal. "Cyan" is a blue-green color and teal is a shade of cyan. Here the Wikipedia scoop on Cyan.

Doesitinink, I bought a spray mister just a couple of weeks ago. Here'a a photo of the MicraMist 2000. I bought it at Target. I think it cost $12-$15. It can be used for oil or any kind of liquid. I hope you have time to check it out before Thanksgiving.

I know the heritage turkeys don't have the fat of the "newer models". We usually get an organic free-range turkey and they have the same low fat issues. I've seen several websites that address how to keep them moist and juicy. I'm giving my MicraMist 2000 a try this year.

Argyle said...

Clear Ayes, I found an image of a Micra Mist on Amazon. Is this right?

kazie said...

doesitinink,
Yes, that's what I meant too. I have one and I described it the other day when you were asking about it. Here's another link, but the one Argyle found is similar. I got mine at a Marshall's store here in Madison.
misto

Argyle said...

My brother-in-law suggests you could make your own can of mace with it.

kazie said...

clear ayes,
That's neat! I just discovered that one of the cyan shades is named after the beach where I grew up--Bondi! The water did always look similar to that on a clear day too.

Doesit,
I looked further at the link on the Misto site and it's even cheaper than the Micra Mist--only $9.99. Marshalls had them for $7.99 when I got mine.

Anonymous said...

Rather than a turkey mister, I use my mother-in-law's method, which is to thoroughly oil a piece of material big that is enough to cover the turkey. I use Wesson oil. For material I use a piece of old sheet (which I keep for such occasions). Cover the turkey and leave it alone as it roasts. Remove about 1/2 hour before it's done. Very easy and works extremely well. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. (And bah humbug to all the premature Christmas stuff that's out.)

Dark Asteroid said...

@DoesItInInk:

In "The Time Machine" our hero stops in one era and discovers that man has "evolved" into two races: the Eloi who live above ground and cannot think for themselves; and the Morlock, who live below ground and basically raise the Eloi for food. Yummy.

Clear Ayes said...

Argyle, It looks like there are lots of misters out there. MicraMist is apparently just one of many.

Sallie, I agree. Christmas season doesn't start until after Thanksgiving!
Your turkey cloth sounds like a pretty good idea too.

Kazie, Bondi is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi C.C.,

No, your blog is never boring. I still check in several times a week and enjoy all the comments. Just haven't had anything to say!

I agree the Saturday puzzle was very pretty. For some reason I was able to race through it.

Really enjoying all the wonderful links you provide, and the poems submitted as well. Please keep up the good work.

Kit

DoesItinInk said...

@Dark Asteroid: Thank you! Mystery finally solved. I always assumed "race" referred to something like The Great Race. I could not have been more wrong. LOL.