Theme: "Breaking Par" - Par bookends each theme entry.
23A. Schoolyard promise : PINKY SWEAR
25A. Engrossing read : PAGE TURNER
36A. Molson Golden, e.g. : PALE LAGER
38A. Milwaukee Brewer in the Hall of Fame : PAUL MOLITOR. He grew up here in Minnesota. Graduated from the same school as Joe Mauer. Played his last season with the Twins.
66A. Time honoree : PERSON OF THE YEAR
96A. Economical vacation option : PACKAGE TOUR
98A. Arctic denizen : POLAR BEAR
112A. One interpreting lines : PALM READER
114A. Nothing to be afraid of, really : PAPER TIGER
Now I see Rich saved this puzzle for the Masters' weekend. It was accepted earlier than the "Home, Sweet Home" puzzle I made with Lemonade.
PAUL MOLITOR was originally PARTY POOPER. As you can see, the first three letters is an intact PAR. This is the kind of mistake I hope I won't make in the future.
You can read my original clues here.
1. Have a big mouth? : GAPE
5. Power yoga aftermath : ACHE. I don't practice yoga, but a friend does.
9. Proud papa's present : CIGAR
14. Feature of a bad air day : SMOG. Lots of bad air days in Beijing. Way too many coal & steel plants in areas surrounding Beijing.
18. Together, in scores : A DUE
19. Circular : ROUND
21. City near Kobe : OSAKA
22. Skateboarder Hawk : TONY. I confuse him with Bode Miller.
27. Liberal arts maj. : SOC
28. JFK's UN ambassador : AES (Adlai Ewing Stevenson). "Owen's Law" moment. Bad fill.
29. Skin care giant : MARY KAY
31. Workout portmanteau : TAE BO
32. On display : SHOWN
34. Puzzle-solving asset : LOGIC. And 1D. Flaws in 34-Across : GAPS
35. Dodge __ : CITY
44. In the thick of : AMID
45. Farm expanse : LEA
46. In jeopardy : AT STAKE
47. Tech sch. since 1824 : RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute). Oh, Spitzboov & Splyner this is how much I love you two :-)
48. Pitching stats : WINS
49. Old vitamin label nos. : RDAs. Now replaced by RDI.
52. "Project Runway" topic : STYLE
53. Lancelot's strong suit? : MAIL
54. Scotch datum : AGE
55. Stays under the radar : LIES LOW
58. Celestial altar : ARA
59. Two-time Oscar winner Michael : CAINE
60. Add : TOSS IN
62. Toledo snacks : TAPAS. Steve sent me a picture of the beautiful Aria from his Hilton Elara suite. Don't think he will miss their famous tapas bar.
64. Showed serious anticipation : DROOLED
70. File holder : CABINET
73. Auctioned autos, often : REPOs
74. "Am I the only one?" : IS IT ME?
78. Takes it easy : LOLLS
79. Pvt. address : APO. Army Post Office.
82. Beaming : RADIANT
84. Dashed : RAN
85. Stuck in __ : A RUT
86. Surprised jerk : START. Oh, I like this clue. Rich's of course.
88. February Revolution victim : TSAR
89. They're in one year and out the other : FADS
90. Sault __ Marie : STE
91. Some sightings : SAUCERS
93. Dakota, to Elle : SIB. Fanning. Elle towers over her older sister.
95. Chevy subcompact : AVEO
100. Dinner crumbs : ORTs
101. Have leftovers for dinner, e.g. : EAT IN
103. Bridal accessories : VEILS
104. Spread apart : SPLAY
106. Sticks it out : HANGS ON
109. Opening night nightmare : PAN
110. National Pizza Mo. : OCT. We'll celebrate then! Hopefully Dave will be in his pizza making mood.
117. "Dies __" : IRAE
118. Crepes for Putin : BLINI
119. Skyy shelfmate, familiarly : STOLI
120. Dior fragrance : DUNE
121. Alaska, once: Abbr. : TERR
122. Lisa of "Enemy of the State" : BONET
123. Role for Skippy : ASTA
124. Hunt for : SEEK
2. "Hasta la vista, pal!" : ADIOS AMIGO
3. They make you laugh, hopefully : PUNCH LINES
4. "A mouse!" : EEK
5. Weapons center : ARSENAL
6. Milk sources : COWS
7. Jade or ruby : HUE. Did you want GEM also?
8. Win over : ENAMOR
9. Mimics : COPYCATS
10. "Out of Africa" author Dinesen : ISAK
11. "Do What U Want" Lady : GAGA
12. Play __ role in : A KEY
13. First animal in the Chinese zodiac : RAT. Rich did his research. He always does. See here. Pig is the last. I'm a pig. What are you? Click on the year, let me know if the descriptions fit you.
14. Low-hanging clouds : STRATI
15. Laundering evidence : MONEY TRAIL
16. Seat usually in first class : ONE B
17. Athens street food : GYRO
20. Wet blanket : DRAG
24. Two-master : YAWL
26. Serviceable : UTILE
30. TV morning co-host : RIPA (Kelly)
33. Hefty refs. : OEDs (Oxford English Dictionary)
34. Results in : LEADS TO
35. "Life Begins Here" sloganeer : COKE
36. Probe in a catlike way : PAW AT
37. "Chicago" star : GERE (Richard)
39. Court org. : USTA. Tennis court.
40. "Star Trek" meas. : LT-YR (Light-years)
41. Affliction : MALADY
42. Speak out : OPINE
43. In a lather : RILED
50. Hooper's Store proprietor on "Sesame Street" : ALAN. No idea. Never watched "Sesame Street".
51. Deep sleep : SOPOR
53. One of New Zealand's official languages : MAORI
55. Legal claims : LIENS
56. Concerning, to a dictator? : IN RE. Dictation dictator.
57. Thin cookie : WAFER
59. Vacation destination : COAST
61. In need of mopping up : SPILT
63. Mar. honoree : ST. PAT
65. Silver checker : REIN. Lone Ranger's horse Silver.
67. Great Sphinx, e.g. : STATUE
68. Mortar carriers : HODS
69. "The NFL Today" analyst : ESIASON (Boomer)
70. Hold tight : CLASP
71. Vital line : AORTA
72. Like Jeff Foxworthy's "Comedy Tour" : BLUE COLLAR. Never saw the show. Rich's clue.
75. Picture-packed presentation : TRAVELOGUE. Thought of Kazie.
76. Acted out publicly : MADE A SCENE
77. Belgian artist James : ENSOR. Learned from doing xwords.
80. Peace talks goal : PACT
81. Snack that's been a kosher food since 1998 : OREO
83. Seed cover : ARIL. Foodies all call pomegranate seeds as arils. This word won't be a crosswordese once the term gains steam, like Umami. Just remember, Uma= Delicious. Mi= Taste.
86. Droops : SAGS
87. John Wayne classic : TRUE GRIT
89. Teo of Formula One fame : FABI. Definitely "Owen's Law" moment. We need a more famous Fabi.
91. Creature seen on some antique wine cups : SATYR
92. Mmes., in La Mancha : SRAs
94. State bordering Austria : BAVARIA
97. "Seinfeld" goofball : KRAMER. Nuts.
98. Party gift holder : PINATA
99. Let : RENT
102. The best, or bests : TOPS
104. Patio cooking aid : SPIT
105. Rid of rind : PARE
106. California baseball cap image : HALO. Angels.
107. Court edge : AD IN
108. Island goose : NENE. Hawaii's state bird.
109. Hit with hail, say : PELT
111. Slog : TREK
113. Dwindle : EBB
115. +, on a batt. : POS (Positive)
116. Verification docs : IDS