google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday April 12, 2015 Alex Vratsanos

Advertisements

Apr 12, 2015

Sunday April 12, 2015 Alex Vratsanos

Theme:  "Book Case" -  With THE (66A. Word that precedes the start of each answer to a starred clue to form a 112-Across best-seller), each theme answer starts with a John Grisham legal thriller. And THE is placed at the very center of the grid.

23A. *Protectorate, e.g. : CLIENT STATE. I know it as "Puppet state". The Client.

28A. *Pirate lords' group in "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" : BRETHREN COURT. No idea. Wikia shows that "The Brethren Court is composed of the nine Pirate Lords, the greatest pirates in all the Seven Seas". The Brethren.

34A. *Rises to the occasion : SUMMONS UP COURAGE. Needs "the", no? "Summons up the courage".  The Summons.

59A. *Trios and quartets, e.g. : CHAMBER MUSIC. The Chamber.

71A. *Salsa, e.g. : PARTNER DANCE. The Partner.

93A. *Some undergrad awards : ASSOCIATE DEGREES. The Associate.

100A. *They're hard to sway : FIRM BELIEVERS. The Firm.

112A. Author with over 275 million books in print : JOHN GRISHAM

Here is a list of his thrillers. Quite a few start with THE, but no workable phrases start with "Litigators",  "Testament",  "Racketeer", "Confession" or "Rainmaker". Alex's theme entries are quite complete. Constructors are very thorough with research and theme answer selection.

What's your favorite Grisham book? Mine is "The Pelican Brief".

Across:

1. Google __ : CHROME. Browser. I like my Firefox.

7. Propels, as shells : OARS

11. Back to school, once? : MARM. Tricky clue. Schoolmarm.

15. Triangle calculation : AREA

19. Clipper's find : COUPON. Have you ever used Groupon?

20. Dry and crack : CHAP

21. City near Santa Barbara : OJAI. Chickie's daughter lives here.

22. "A Few Good Men" co-star Moore : DEMI. Probably my favorite Kevin Bacon movie.

25. Drive aimlessly : TAKE A SPIN. Great fill.

27. Mythological name meaning "all-gifted" : PANDORA. I did not know the "all-gifted" meaning. Bill G is getting gifts every day, then, with his various Pandora stations.

30. Post-bath powder : TALC

32. Cooper's tool : ADZE

33. City, quickly : URB. "Quickly" indicates an abbr.

42. Divulge : BLAB

45. Set right : ORIENT

46. Matches in a pot : SEES

47. Sheeps' clothing? : WOOLS. Lovely clue.


49. Far from 100% : ILL

50. Unbelievable : FISHY

51. Fillers of envs. : LTRs

52. Physicist Tesla : NIKOLA

53. Romantic murmur : COO
 
54. Some univ. staff : TAs

55. Relative of -ship : HOOD. Adulthood. Friendship. Distant relative, I guess.

56. Battleship success : HIT. Board game again.

57. Super Bowl III winning coach : EWBANK (Weeb). The only coach to win both NFL and AFL championships. Joe Namath days.
 
63. Italian who was a contemporary of Euler : LAGRANGE. Total stranger to me. Wiki said this guy "became the first professor of analysis at the École Polytechnique upon its opening in 1794." I know a guy who graduated there.

65. Strategic WWI river : MARNE. Needed crossing help.

 67. Trickier to drive on : ICIER

68. Traveler's oasis : HOTEL BAR. Steve Kroft said "Yes!"

76. Texas oil city : ODESSA

77. Welcome home? : MAT. Nice clue also.


78. "Other people," to Sartre : HELL. Hell is other people.

79. "__ work is done" : OUR

80. Zip : NIL

81. Co-Nobelist with Rabin and Peres : ARAFAT. 1994. The year I left Xi'an and my loving family.

84. Lucas princess : LEIA

85. Clothing prefix meaning "small" : PETTI.  As in petticoat.

87. Proper : DUE

88. "Super Bass" singer Nicki : MINAJ. Not fond of her. You?

89. Weaving component : WEFT

90. Neverland creator : BARRIE

91. Increases, with "up" : AMPS

96. Alley __ : OOP

98. Currency honoring Mandela : RAND

99. Actress Kunis : MILA. She and Ashton are a cute couple.


106. Soloist in a 1925 Broadway title song : NANETTE. Oh, "No, No, Nanette".

111. Result of sleeping in : LATE START

114. Disney CEO since 2005 : IGER (Bob)

115. Coagulate : CLOT

116. 84-Down for Fonda : ULEE. And 84. Something for a star : LEAD ROLE

117. Disentangle after a fumble recovery : UNPILE

118. Sci-fi escape vehicles : PODS

119. Touch up : HONE

120. Neuter, in a way : GELD

121. Transgressor : SINNER

Down:

1. Soyuz insignia : CCCP. Soyuz is Russian for "Union".

2. Hidalgo greeting : HOLA

3. Trash : RUIN

4. Slanted column : OPED. With slanted views.

5. Speech problem : MONOTONY

6. Fee payer, perhaps : ENTRANT

7. 31-day mo. : OCT

8. "... thou damned whale!" speaker : AHAB

9. Sources of daily pressure : RAT RACES

10. Some small suits : SPEEDOS

11. Good sense : MOTHER WIT. Holy cow. I never heard of this phrase.

12. Close to closed : AJAR

13. Earn big time, with "in" : RAKE

14. Look : MIEN

15. Accumulate on a surface : ADSORB. Not a word I use. "Absorb", yes.

16. Lincoln or Bush : REPUBLICAN

17. Arabian commander : EMIR

18. Informal negative : AIN'T

24. "Do the Right Thing" pizzeria : SAL'S

26. Puncture lead-in : ACU. My uncle (mom's older brother) is an expert in acupuncture.

29. Lao-__ : TZU
 
31. One who's always right? : CUSTOMER. Indeed.

34. Capital of Cyprus? : SOFT C. The first letter in Cyprus is soft. The answer is normally CEE.

35. Dickens' Heep : URIAH

36. "__ Solemnis": Beethoven work : MISSA. Sadly, I know nothing about classical music.

37. Word of indifference : MEH

38. Unseen : PERDU

39. Mission control go-ahead : A-OK

40. Ooze : GOO

41. Fashion magazine spin-off : ELLE GIRL. I thought it was discontinued a while ago.

43. Word after string or sing : ALONG

44. British fellow : BLOKE

48. Got steamed : SAW RED

51. Literary Doone : LORNA

52. Not as inclement : NICER

55. Collections of plant specimens : HERBARIA. Learning moment for me. Herb aria.

56. Pair of cymbals : HI-HAT

58. Vamp Theda : BARA. Does she look attractive to you?


60. Fr. titles : MMES

61. Aromatic fir : BALSAM

62. Annual parade celeb : ST PAT. And 77. Parade twirler : MAJORETTE. Parade echos.

63. Accounting entry : LINE ITEM

64. Boston-D.C. service : ACELA

68. Pilot maker : HONDA

69. Hatred : ODIUM

70. Moved with Scotty's help : TELEPORTED. "Star Trek"

72. Eighth Commandment taboo, per KJV : THEFT. King James Version.

73. __ Dame : NOTRE

74. Affectionate nickname : CUTIE

75. Ohio natives : ERIEs

82. Q&A part: Abbr. : ANS (Answer)

83. Musical fourths : FAs

85. "24 Caprices for Solo Violin" composer : PAGANINI
 
86. Fumble, say : ERR

89. "Rubáiyát" vessel : WINE JUG. "...A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread..."

90. Minsk's country : BELARUS

92. Brett who played Oscar Madison's TV wife : SOMERS. I only know Suzanne Somers.

94. LeBron, again, briefly : CAV

95. Parking lot mishap : DING

97. __ Kids: "Sesame Street" brand : PBS

100. Go wild : FLIP

101. Conniving Shakespearean soldier : IAGO

102. Permanently mark : ETCH

103. "Mission: Impossible" theme composer Schifrin : LALO

104. Retired Monopoly token : IRON

105. Poet Silverstein : SHEL

107. "Those Guys Have All the Fun" subject : ESPN. I passed by ESPN's Shanghai Office in 1999 and I had no idea what ESPN was about.

108. Slender : THIN

109. Account : TALE

110. Part of FEMA: Abbr. : EMER

113. Nancy Drew's guy : NED

C.C.


45 comments:

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Not a lot of joy for me with this one. Mostly because many of the theme answers just seemed a bit strained or were unknown to me. PARTNER DANCE? CLIENT STATE? BRETHREN COURT (I haven't seen the movie, obviously)? MOTHER WIT was another complete unknown (although not a theme answer) that I couldn't guess at even with MOTHER___ in place.

Took a long time to finally get MONOTONY from the clue, but I did appreciate it once I got it.

Biggest problem area was the EWBANK/LAGRANGE/SAWRED crossing. Vaguely knew EWBANK, but thought it was spelled EUBANK. Didn't know LAGRANGE (although now I'm wondering if the astronomical term "Lagrange Point" is named after him). And I just couldn't parse SAWRED as two words. Tried SOURED, STEWED, etc. I finally just guessed at LAGRANGE and EWBANK and hoped that SAWRED meant something. Once I got the *TADA* to confirm I was right, I finally realized that it was SAW RED.

MEH.

desper-otto said...

Yowza! I think I should'a stayed in bed. I really struggled with this one. Luckily, I've got a new bottle of Wite-Out.

MOTHER WIT? Really? My parade celeb began life as SANTA. I was looking over Barry's shoulder with EUBANK. That resulted in SAUTÉD before SAW RED showed up. And it took a really long time to morph MAX LANGE into LAGRANGE. (I know, Max doesn't sound very Italian. For that matter, neither does LAGRANGE.)

I was looking at T_E_T for 72d. I kept coming back to "Thou shalt not TWEET" -- I know it wasn't one of the original ten suggestions, but it should've been.

If I remember back 50-odd years, PERDU was frawnch for lost. When/how did it come to mean unseen?

C.C., I'm glad you got help crossing the MARNE. I really chuckled at that one.

Barry G. said...

And in other news, I really hated TELEPORTED as clued. It may be technically correct, but in the lingo of Star Trek it should be TRANSPORTED. I'm just saying...

HeartRx said...

WBGS x 2.

Unknown said...

The Week in Review: M 5:33 T 6:31 W 8:34 T 10:44 F 11:55 S 35:03 S 51:16

Sunday: Whew! It took me 23 minutes to get the author's name. Unfortunately, STEPHEN KING was wrong. A little brain-racking (wracking?) dredged up the right guy at the 35-minute mark. After that it was pretty much WBS. I was wedded to EUBANK. LAGRANGE was unknown (and looked more French than Italian but what else could it be?). I tried SAUTED for "steamed" but that didn't help. I finally changed the "U" to a "W", heard the "TaDa!", and got the hell outta there. I didn't see SAW RED until I read Barry's comment. Multiple short word fills are my Achilles heel.

The temps will be approaching 70° here in the beautiful mid-Hudson valley today. It's possible Spring has finally arrived.

See y'all next weekend.

Big Easy said...

C.C. There were multitudes of 'strangers' in this puzzle for me, which I did not complete. The cross of LA_RANGE & ELLE _IR_ with _EL_ and T_E_T with WE_T did not give me LA GRANGE, ELLE GIRL, HELL, THEFT, or WEFT. I don't want to be a SINNER and cheat so I lost the battle this morning.

66A-THE- came from the crosses of NICER, HI-HAT ST. PAT. None of the starred clues filled until I entered JOHN GRISHAM. I looked up at my wife's books directly in front of me and what did I see? THE RAINMAKER, STREET LAWYER, PELICAN BRIEF, A PAINTED HOUSE, and the lonly one that helped me, THE CLIENT. I was on my own for SUMMONS, FIRM, CHAMBER, and the clue for 'Pirates', of which I was clueless. She told me BRETHREN because I would have never guessed it.

Other strangers in today were PETTI, PBS, WINE JUG, NED, MISSA, PERDU, HERBARIA, MOTHER WIT, MILA, SOMERS.

A few changes I had to make: PETIT to PETTI, DENT to DING, MAJOR DOMO to ETTE, REDO to HONE, SCAR to ETCH.

Too tough for me today but a great puzzle.

The Rower said...

Oar, oar, oar your boat
Gently down the stream

Avg Joe said...

Strange day here in the land of the Red. The paper had a poorly printed puzzle...it was blurry, as though they'd done a double pass over the press. Legible, but only barely. So! I printed it from this site only to discover it was a completely different puzzle. The dead tree version was by Ed Sessa. Not an auspicious start to the effort.

Pretty much what's been said, especially the unknown entries. Had enough perp help and wags to get it done, but it wasn't high on the list. A fun sponge, perhaps. All's well that ends.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was a DNF due to hood/herbaria/perdu crossings. No problem with the theme answers as I'm familiar with all of Grisham's novels. His best, IMO, Is A Time To Kill, which he wrote before The Firm made him famous. My second favorite is A Painted House.

This puzzle was not one of my favorites: mother wit, adsorb, partner dance, client state may all be legitimate, but still seem forced. Also, don't see Ship=hood, either. Don't know anything about Nicki Minaj's musical talents, but she certainly dresses provocatively, as do most of today's entertainers. Great analysis, CC.

Have a great day.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, C.C., and friends. Although this puzzle theme was apropos, since I just finish Sycamore Row, a non-THE Grisham novel, I didn't much care for today's fare.

Grisham novels all seem to run together.

Like several others, I wanted Eubanks instead of EWBANKS.

So sad about the Monopoly IRON. I rather liked it.

QOD: There’s no business like show business, but there are several businesses like accounting. ~ David Letterman (b. Apr. 12, 1947)

HowardW said...

Pretty much what Barry G. said, especially the part with EUBANK & SAURED. That was my last battle as well.

I'm familiar with LAGRANGE -- and yes, Barry, he's the eponym of "Lagrange point" -- but didn't realize that he was born in Italy.

I really wanted BEAMED UP for TELEPORTED, but there was no way to stretch that to 10 letters.

Not familiar with Grisham's works, so the theme didn't help. Eventually enough letters appeared to fill them in. Count me as another who never heard of MOTHER WIT, BRETHREN COURT, nor (Brett) SOMERS.

Thanks for a tough one, Mr. Vratsanos, and a great writeup C.C. Loved your mat picture!

P.S. D-otto: you must be a chess player!

Lucina said...

Hola!

No time to read comments. Fun puzzle for an avid reader like me. I've read several of JOHN GRISHAM'S novels and like C.C., The Pelican Brief is my favorite but Matt Damon's movie ROLE in The Rainman was outstanding.

It was a slow plod but with patience and persistence it filled NICELY.

Don't know how GELD can be neuter in a way; it IS neutering, right?

Later. Have a delightful Sunday, everyone!

Alexscott68 said...

As others did, I thought it was EUBANK. This caused me to end up with SAUTED (which could work, though I suspected it needed a second E), and the well-known Italian LAGTANGE. Couldn't figure out what part was wrong until coming here, so a DNF for me. LAGRANGE is a French name, but since Italy and France swapped territory in th Mediterranean and Alpine region for centuries, there are many Italians with French names and French with Italian names.

Also wanted TRANSPORTED instead of TELEPORTED. Didn't they call it the Transporter Room on Star Trek? I could be remembering wrong. That's MOTHER WIT for you.

maripro said...

Good morning to all. Enjoyed your write-up, C.C. Have you been able to go back to China to visit your family?
Thank you Alex for a very challenging puzzle. There's so much satisfaction when the light bulb goes on!
Looked up "perdu" and Wiktionary defines it as "hidden," so the clue is right on.

Bill G. said...

Hi everybody. This puzzle was OK for me; hard in places.

It's nice to have a Pandora station playing something I like in the background while I'm pondering a crossword. I've got stations dedicated to Emmylou, Classic Dixieland, The Ink Spots, The Manhattan Transfer, Chet Atkins, Ragtime, Django Reinhardt, Leon Redbone and a few others.

I finally figured out the theme. I've read most of John Grisham's novels. Invariably, I enjoy the first 95 percent of the book and then am let down by the ending. The endings are often a disappointment. Maybe somebody being relocated to Witness Protection or something of the sort.

Lucina, I agree, GELD is neutering but there are other types such as spaying. Also, other words for the same thing. I am never sure why Rich or others feel the need to include "in a way." I guess so the solver knows there are other answers for the same clue.

desper-otto said...

Irish Miss -- maybe it's like Township and Neighborhood...or Brotherhood and Fellowship.

Lucina -- a castrated male horse is a gelding. I'd call that neutered!

HowardW -- no chess player here, just a guy with lots of weird stuff floating around in uncatalogued memory.

Maripro -- thanx for that. I was thinking literally lost as opposed to lost from view.

Husker Gary said...

I could have stared at P E R _ U until St Swithin’s Day and never have gotten that D and HOOD, MEH! So I’ll take one bad cell on Alex’s lovely puzzle and move on with my life!

Musings
-An ASSOCIATE’S DEGREE in diesel mechanics vs a French Lit. PhD. Hmmm…
-Joann’s clipping COUPONS is a Sunday night ritual here
-My fav Bacon
-A good view of this cooper’s, uh, ADZE
-My niece named her first baby Tesla (a girl) and told the family, “Only Uncle Gary will know who that is!”
-He got lots of LTRS (5:23) each week
-Every math teacher used Battleship to teach ordered pairs on the Cartesian plane
-A very strained ARAFAT/PERES handshake
-Any sentence that starts, “With all DUE respect” is not going to end well
-Idiot Red Sox owner/theatrical producer Harry Frazee sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees to finance No, No, Nannette and other plays. How’d that work out Harry?
-The guy who had the football may not have it after the UNPILING
-MONOTONY, oh you’ve been to my church
-SOFT C finally opened that part of the puzzle
-What beer comes “From the land of pines, lofty BALSAMS”

SwampCat said...

Thumper and I have not much to say. But I loved the write-up, C.C.!

Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

Avg Joe said...

Hamms the beer refreshing!

Spitzboov said...

Good afternoon everyone.

I found the solve average in difficulty. While most of the theme fill was getable from the perps, it seemed somewhat forced as others have stated. I do think CLIENT STATE is a fairly well known phrase and is heard in foreign policy discussions.
11d - MOTHER WIT - I have never heard it used in English. My Mom had a phrase in German, 'Mutter witzig' that meant 'capable of a special kind of humor unique to mothers'.

Have a great day.

Big Easy said...

Lucina & Bill G- I don't follow horse racing but I do know what a GELDing is.

HG- A phD in French Lit. can't fix a truck. Give me the mechanic ( or plumber) anyday.

C.C. 1994- you're revealing your age, which is much younger than the rest of us.

Argyle said...

There is a second meaning for geld.

Husker Gary said...

Musings 2
-Of course it was the Hamm’s beer commercial that sang the praises of lofty BALSAMS
-My point exactly, Big Easy. Our world needs a lot more people with ASSOCIATES Degrees and useful skills. My neighbor’s daughter decrying her lack of employment with her PhD in theater arts gets little sympathy from me.
-I have asked twice if anyone can see the error in this 5 second Snagglepuss clip. So, with no takers, and despite no theater arts degree, I believe Snagglepuss is actually exiting Stage right not left.
-Permanently marked – This man got fired by Home Depot for this tattoo on his lip. He swears it was a former girlfriend’s name.

Husker Gary said...

Addendum
Two senior citizen tickets to see Helen Mirren's fabulous new movie, Woman In Gold, yesterday - $13
Having Bistro style nachos and a large drink served to us during the movie in our reclining seats - $21 with tip
Doing all this with my best friend who has gotten me through the worst six weeks of my life - Priceless

Jayce said...

While I admire the craftsmanship in this puzzle, I had the same trouble in the LAGRANGE area that Barry G described so well. I was thinking in terms of steaming in a sauna (SAUNED) in an attempt to make it work.
I read a few of Grisham's novels, but didn't like them well enough to read more than a few. Of those few, I liked The Firm the best. Now Dana Stabenow's novels, on the other hand, have captivated me, and I have bought and read all of them.
Best wishes to you all.

HowardW said...

Husker Gary -
I agree, he's exiting stage right. Twice in this collection of clips he goes in that direction, saying "Exit, stage right".

PK said...

Hi Y'all! WEES! Couldn't get a start in the upper half so filled from the bottom up with the NW last to fill. I had only HOLA. Thought of only clipper ships and the NBA teams but not COUPON even though I save them. Most are not cut out though.
Used a lot of red-letter runs today.

I have read and own all of Grisham's books, but this didn't help me much. Favorites: hand up for THE Pelican Brief also THE CLIENT.

SOFT C was a shock when it finally filled. I kept trying to jam in Nicosia which is the capital. Getting FTC really confused me for awhile.

I wanted "Beam me up". Well, at least I had the right Scotty.

When PERDU appeared, I thought I remembered some form of that being used as a term for when Muslim women wear the black shroud in public.

Enjoyed your comments very much, C.C. I quit watching the "singing contest" one year because it had MINAJ as a judge.

Gary, you are so blessed in your marriage and in your recognition of the fact. Too many people won't admit or even know they are blessed until it is too late.

Answer Man said...

PK@2:13: Perhaps you're thinking of purdah.

Irish Miss said...

DO @ 11:54 - Thank you for the perfect examples. Sometimes, my brain has a mind of its own! 😚

BTW, WHERE has CED disappeared to?

Bill G. said...

So have you got the new Davy Barry book yet; the one where I was laughing so hard that my tears were diluting my espresso?

Gary, I neglected to respond to your Snagglepuss clip. I guess I thought others had already jumped in. My fault. Not being a thespian, my self-confidence wasn't high.

Jayce, based on your recommendation I'm going to have to try a Dana Stabenow novel. Have you got a suggestion about a favorite; a good starting point?

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks, Alex and CC!

Neat theme!

No cheats, but much of WBS! Took a while.

Eyes very bad today. Must have rubbed some cream in them. Will read rest of blog later!

Cheers!

Lucina said...

We just returned from seeing The Woman in Gold with Helen Mirren. As Gary noted, it's excellent!

I have recently discovered the joy of reclining seats which several of our theaters have. Love it!

Hahtoolah said...

Lucina: we saw Woman in Gold this afternoon also and loved it. I don't know why the critics panned it.

PK said...

Answer man, thank you for the purdah site. I googled Perdu and got the "lost" definition. I guess they must be from the same stem word since, if the women are in purdah, they are lost from sight. I'm glad to live in the USA where most women aren't as restricted.

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Late to the party - it was such a fine day the missus and I took an airplane trip.

C.C. - I am frequently amazed at your cultural awareness with respect to American stuff. The post from Rower at 8:27 got me wondering whether you have become familiar with little songs and rhymes that we associate with children; that post centers on the song Row Row Row Your Boat, of course. Similar things might be Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, or the tune that goes with the alphabet, for instance. Another example is On Top Of Old Smoky, which has a fun parody known to every kid at summer camp: On Top Of Spaghetti. Are these things familiar?
:-)

inanehiker said...

This was a slow and steady puzzle, I was out of town so just got back and did the puzzle while listening to Celtic Connections on our local NPR station. WEES about perdu and Ewbank. There is a city in the Chicago area called LaGrange, but I think it's name is from the french meaning of the word, not named after the mathematician.

My favorite Grisham is "The Testament". They are fast reads - always seems like I am reading a screenplay rather than a novel-- but good for listening to on CD during road trips.

Bill G. said...

Anybody agree with me about Grisham's weak endings?

Anybody rush out to read Dave Barry's new book?

Does anybody know the answer to my question I've asked a couple of times? "If I haven't made a post yet today, how do I edit my profile since I don't have a blue name to click on?" Not knowing any better, I've just gone back to a previous day's post with a blue name.

I used to play a very little bit of golf. I'm not a big fan but I was captivated watching bits and pieces of the Masters. It's a beautiful course and Spieth seems like a worthy champion.

HowardW said...

Bill G: "If I haven't made a post yet today, how do I edit my profile since I don't have a blue name to click on?"

Have you tried browsing to blogger.com? It brings up a home page from which one can edit one's profile.

PK said...

BillG, I've never really thought about the Grisham books having weak endings. I'd classify some endings as being anticlimactic. For me they've all been books I've read far into the night and couldn't put down.

As for Dana Stabenow, start with the first one. Then if you get hooked you can read the whole series in sequence. That's what I do. That way you have a running story within the story.

Anonymous said...

What fun to find this blog! Especially after struggling with this puzzle for a huge chunk of the day. So nice to know others had the same issues with the answers that I did. Meh!

Anonymous T said...

Anon@11:42 - Welcome to C.C.'s Corner... I found this years ago and like all the folks who hangout here. Visit daily - I do and learn from the Cornerites.

HG - I was thinking that about Snaggletooth's line, but don't know much about stage. Thanks for confirming my hunch. Of course, who can help but to think of Rush's Exit Stage Left album?

Oh, the puzzle? I printed one for me and MIL from Mensa's site so I could play. Mine hit the recycle bin after an hour+ of ????.

63a made me think of that little "chicken ranch" in LAGRANGE, TX (ZZ Top Live).

Cheers, -T

Lucina said...

Hahtoolah:
I know and can't understand why the critics didn't like The Woman in Gold. I was riveted from beginning to end.

Also, being in a big hurry this morning I forgot to mention that EUBANK also defeated me. That's the only spelling I'm familiar with though SAURED didn't make sense.

Anonymous T said...

Found it... Exit Stage Left (already...). It's 53m and you gotta be a FLIPin' fan. Cheers, -T

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Maripro,
Yes, I went back and visited my family after I came to the US. The food is glorious. But the noise in our apartment building is too much. The public shower is too much too.

Dudley,
I've never heard of "On Top Of Spaghetti' or "On Top Of Spaghetti". Just had no chance to encounter this kind of stuff. I did know Ewbank though.

Unknown said...

I think a lot of you (and me) were "tricked" by thinking of Bob Eubanks when trying to fill the 3rd Super Bowl winning coach entry. Good ole Weeb Ewbank.