Theme: Parental Guidance - Two word phrases that fit the P and G format.
21A. Admit to wrongdoing in court: PLEAD GUILTY
31A. Location-based smartphone game release of 2016: POKÉMON GO
41A. Similar set of individuals: PEER GROUP
52A. Inland sea between Iran and Saudi Arabia: PERSIAN GULF
41D. Like many animated films ... and a hint to 21-, 31-, 41- and 52-Across: PG-RATED
Argyle here. Straight forward letter plus letter puzzle. There are four of them and a neat reveal. I think the column crossings were intentional. (See grid) It's also a pangram.
1. Green gem: JADE. Tori earrings.
5. Actress Greta: GARBO
10. Ponzi scheme, for one: SCAM
14. Boy in "The Kite Runner": AMIR. Book, film, play. Wiki link
15. Toward the back: AREAR
16. When tripled, a 1970 WWII film: TORA. Roger Ebert review.
17. Spanish "nothing": NADA
18. Free, in France: LIBRE
19. Reddish-brown horse: ROAN
20. Israeli submachine gun: UZI
23. Embark from a dock: SET SAIL
25. Spaniel's welcome: ARF
26. Indian-born storekeeper on "The Simpsons": APU
27. Bening of "American Beauty": ANNETTE
35. Half a bray: HAW. HEE being the other half.
36. Radio knob: TUNER
37. 1998 biopic about model Carangi: GIA. She died at 26. (1986)
38. Travelocity ad figure: GNOME
40. Ctrl-__-Delete: PC reboot combo: ALT. Mine starts Task Manager.
43. Reveal: DIVULGE
46. Help: AID
47. Negative connection: NOR
48. Climbing plant: CREEPER
57. Dockworkers' gp.: ILA. (International Longshoremen's Association)
58. Soothing plant extract: ALOE
59. Pageant headgear: TIARA
60. Prefix with lateral: EQUI
61. Arctic seabird: SKUA. "Oh yeah?" "Yeah!"
62. No __ sight: END IN
63. Bugs Bunny adversary Elmer: FUDD
64. Smartphone message: TEXT
65. Gave medicine to: DOSED
66. Golf ball supports: TEEs
1. Two-faced god: JANUS. January's namesake.
2. Fill with wonder: AMAZE
3. Completed the task: DID IT
4. Significant period: ERA
5. Steel-gray metallic element: GALLIUM. Element in many semiconductors.
6. Disney mermaid: ARIEL
7. Country star McEntire: REBA. And TV.
8. The __: Shakespeare: BARD
9. Pizza herb: OREGANO
10. Conflict: STRIFE
11. Like much fall weather: COOL
12. "I smell __!": A RAT
13. Lots of: MANY
21. Daily news source: PAPER
22. Coffee vessel: URN
24. Japanese alcoholic beverage: SAKE
27. Ice cream thickener: AGAR
28. Old-style you: THOU
29. Pack (down) firmly: TAMP
30. Sheep girl: EWE
31. Sheepdog from Hungary: PULI. Cute when they're puppies.
32. Being aired: ON TV
33. S-shaped molding: OGEE
34. Never, in Dortmund: NIE. Germany.
36. Little bit: TAD
38. Bereavement: GRIEF
39. Bump on a branch: NODE
42. Floral wreath: GARLAND
44. Remove from office: UNSEAT
45. Law, in Lille: LOI. France.
48. Madame of physics: CURIE
49. Arouse, as interest: PIQUE
50. Avoid capture by: ELUDE
51. Surprise attacks: RAIDS
52. Good old days: PAST
53. Actress Sommer: ELKE
54. Gumbo thickener: ROUX. (equal parts of flour and fat by weight) Moi?
55. El __: weather phenomenon: NINO
56. Wanders restlessly: GADS
60. Baby newt: EFT
Note from C.C.:
Happy Birthday to Patti Varol, Rich's assistant and editor for the Crosswords Club. Like Rich, Patti is incredibly efficient, patient and generous with her time. She is also sharp-eyed and notices every little dupe that might have escaped constructors. In one of the Club puzzles, Patti clued BLOG as [L.A. Times Crossword Corner, e.g.]. She does lots of little things for constructors. Thank you, Patti!