In a Tuesday puzzle of nearly a year ago (1/17/17), Alan posted how he liked reading comments on his puzzles and added, "Armenians get to put a "Der" in front of their names if there's been a significant religious person in their family's history, like a bishop. In my case it was my grandfather's father, who was an important religious figure in Eastern Turkey in the late 1800s."
Alan's puzzle provided entertainment and provided new learning for this cowboy (marked in RED below)! Here are some of his gettable long fills that proved to be useful in solving:
20. '60s counterculture slogan : MAKE LOVE NOT WAR - This iconic Bernie Boston picture for the Washington Star is what always leaps to my mind for this sentiment
25. Cry of dominance : WHO'S YOUR DADDY - Yankee fans having a good time at Pedro Martinez's expense
45. 20-mile annual Boston-area fundraiser sponsored by Project Bread : WALK FOR HUNGER - The Marathon and this are big in Boston
51. Excuse for rowdy behavior : BOYS WILL BE BOYS - A lame excuse that has definitely fallen out of favor
Now let's see what else Alan has for us:Across
1. Video file format : MPEG - Moving Pictures Experts Group. Lots of internet videos use this format
5. Offenbach opera "Daphnis et __" : CHLOE - One interpretation of the story of the romance between two shepherd girls on the Isle of Lesbos written 1,800 years ago
10. Jerk's concern : SODA - The jerk is so called for this action of "jerking" the handle to get carbonated water
14. Former Sony brand : AIWA - I once had an AIWA boom box
15. Aggressive corporate tactics : RAIDS - He played a corporate RAIDER and she played a, uh, Lady of the 24. Poetic night : EEN
16. Fast-food legend : KROC - Ray Kroc did not invent McDonalds. He took (read stole) the McDonald brothers system and made it huge as seen in the 2016 movie The Founder
17. Presently : ANON
18. Mail-order outlet for outdoorsy types : ORVIS and 19. Harpsichordist Kipnis : IGOR. A Vermont based outdoor company and a musician I did not know but that's why we have perpendicular fill.
23. Math ratios : SINES - Ah, back to stuff I know, opposite/hypotenuse
30. "The Yankee Doodle Boy" composer : COHAN - Seeing Jimmy Cagney as Cohan singing Yankee Doodle Boy from the movie of the same name should be part of becoming a citizen! 😁
32. Big letters in toys : FAO - I recently posted the picture of Tom Hanks dancing on the FAO Schwarz floor piano in Big
33. CBS Sports NFL analyst Tony : ROMO - His body finally said, "That's enough" and he's now in the broadcast booth
34. Map abbr. : RTE - In my part of the world we say "rout" and in other parts they say "root". You?
35. Loosed : SET FREE - Julia Ward Howe wrote, "He has LOOSED the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword"
39. Neat ending? : NIK - Felix not Oscar
40. After-lunch sandwich : OREO - Haven't we had this word before? 😜
42. Word with big or house : CAT - My loving wife with our BIG HOUSE CAT
43. Together : AS ONE - When the Huskers do their tunnel walk, the fans rise AS ONE
49. "Macbeth" character : HAG - Shakespeare's non-PC designation
50. Gay leader? : ENOLA - This plate tells you where my Mom worked during WWII and where this particular B-29 that became the ENOLA GAY was assembled
57. Defeat soundly : DRUB
58. Serve : AVAIL
59. Per : A POP - $2 A POP for bottled water makes it way more expensive than gasoline. Talk about marketing!
60. "No prob!" : EASY
61. Merci, across the border : DANKE - DANKE Schön worked for Wayne Newton and Ferris Bueller
62. Nigerian pop star : SADE - Born in Ibadan, Nigeria
63. Cry of glee : WHEE
64. Orson Scott Card protagonist __ Wiggin : ENDER - Andrew ENDER Wiggin
65. Side for a dog : SLAW - KFC has wonderful cole SLAW
1. Hat-tipper's word : MAAM - Can you tip a ball cap that is on backwards?
2. Fruit in un cóctel : PINA -Pineapple es "piña" en español (Pineapple is piña in Spanish)
3. Fuzzy Endor resident : EWOK - A Star Wars cast member
4. Hindu god with the head of an elephant : GANESHA
5. Sings smoothly : CROONS - Harry Connick Jr., Michael Buble'...
6. "Family Feud" host since 2010 : Steve HARVEY
7. Exists simply : LIVES OFF THE LAND
8. Valhalla VIP : ODIN - ODIN rules over Valhalla - "The house of the slain"
9. ExxonMobil trade name : ESSO
10. Garb for schussing : SKI WEAR - Not much use here for us flatlanders
11. Transplant figure : ORGAN DONOR - This shows 1) I take a lousy picture, 2) my hair is gray and 3) I am a an ORGAN DONOR
12. Way out : DOOR
13. Spanning: Abbr. : ACR - The Royal Gorge Bridge near Canon City, CO spans ACRoss the Arkansas river at 1,000 ft up but all you can do is cross it and turn right around and come back
21. Only NFC team that hasn't played in a Super Bowl : LIONS
22. Talks acronym : TED - Thought provoking online talks about Technology, Entertainment and Design. See more at ted.com
25. Area of expertise : WHEELHOUSE - Give me the microphone to talk about space and I'm good to go!
26. Nasser's org. : UAR - In last Saturday's puzzle it was 15. Group formed in Cairo in 1945 : ARAB LEAGUE
27. Caviar : ROE
28. Key of Beethoven's Ninth: Abbr. : D MIN - This choral part still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!
29. Tie on the farm : YOKE
30. Talk big : CROW - Peter Pan's self aggrandizing anthem
31. Not esta or esa : OTRA - Not esta (this) or esa (that) but OTRA (another)
36. "Foucault's Pendulum" author : ECO - Umberto ECO's satirical novel
37. Crew member : TAR - Or gob, swab, swabbie, salt, sea dog...
38. Apollo 11 lander : EAGLE - "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the EAGLE has landed"
41. "See ya later" : OKAY BYE
44. Fish market offering : SEA BASS
46. NFL threes : FGS - The behemoths play for 59 minutes and then the smallest guy on the squad comes in to decide the game with his kicking
47. Facebook reversal : UNLIKE - I had to "UNFRIEND" several people in 2016 because I got tired of them 56. Expel strongly : SPEWing their political opinions whether I agreed or not. There's a time and place
48. Word in Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy : NOBLER - Sometimes it is NOBLER to "suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" than to "take arms against a sea of trouble." Hill worth dying on?
51. "My man!" : BRAH - Brother -> Bro -> BRAH
52. Cross a stream, perhaps : WADE
53. English : John :: Slavic : __ : IVAN In Spanish, it would be Juan and 约翰 in Chinese
54. Girasol, e.g. : OPAL - Yeah, I didn't know either. Also called Moon Opal
55. Sci-fi character voiced by Frank Oz : YODA - Oh, that's how it's done!
57. Green moisture : DEW - Early golfers are called "DEW Sweepers"
Time now for your pertinent or impertinent remarks: