A THEMELESS SATURDAY FROM DANIEL NIERENBERG
Daniel's pleasant Saturday offering was fun to do and provided a nice learning moment for landlocked Husker Gary! I had never heard of a 13. Boat-lifting device : DAVIT before but I found this picture of several DAVITS that were attached to lower the too few lifeboats on the Titanic. White Star had installed extra DAVITS for when rules were changed to require more lifeboats but those extras were empty on this maiden voyage of this "unsinkable" vessel.
Let's see what else Daniel has for us on National Pack Your Lunch Day! I'll trade you my Fritos for a Hostess Cupcake! Across
1. Oceanic ecosystem : MARINE BIOME - Here's some biodiversity in a MARINE BIOME. There is probably no 46. Deep-water fish : OPAH in here
12. Common intruders : ADS - They not only interrupt the Super Bowl, they cost millions to air
15. Mexican sugar substitute : AGAVE NECTAR - There's something besides tequila made from Agave plants. Who knew?
16. Home Depot purchase : SAW
18. Knoxville energy agcy. : TVA - Part of FDR's alphabet programs that supplies power to parts of Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi,Kentucky, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia.
19. Sportscaster Andrews : ERIN - Andrews
20. Bradlee in "The Post" : BEN - A movie with some people named Hanks, Streep and Spielberg
21. 2013 Culinary Hall of Fame inductee : EMERIL
23. Key used in shortcuts : ALT- Here's what I get when I hit the ALT/Option key with each letter of the alphabet on my MacBook Pro - å∫ç∂´ƒ©˙ˆ∆˚¬µ˜øπœ®ß†¨√∑≈¥Ω
24. Word of warning : PRIVATE - PRIVATE Property
25. Downer at a party? : DEBBIE - An unfortunate alliteration for all DEBBIES
29. Waterside accommodations : BOATEL - Someone has turned 7 defunct boats into floating accommodations just south of NYC
30. Not dense, in a way : RURAL - Once you get past Omaha and Lincoln in my state, things really thin out
31. Lindy relative : JITTERBUG
34. Deuterium discoverer Harold : UREY - Deuterium was first known as heavy hydrogen but now we call it an isotope. TMI?
35. They usually have spines : CACTI
36. Ornate metalware : TOLE - My first thought was of trays like this
37. Spots for sports stands : GOAL LINES - Perhaps the most famous GOAL LINE STAND was in the 1967 "Ice Bowl" between the Cowboys and the Packers. Game time temp was -15˚F. Bart Starr followed a Jerry Kramer block on Jethro Pugh into the end zone for a Packer win
39. Forks over, formally : CEDES
40. Collaborate : TEAM UP
41. "Even so ... " : AND YET - Rex Harrison sings, "I know that I could always be that way again , AND YET..." Next line and song's title?
42. "Thunderball" setting : BAHAMAS
44. Try hard (for) : GUN - Every college class I took had a hated GUNNER. "Sir you forgot to give us an assignment!"
45. Had taken, as a portrait : SAT FOR
46. Tagged, perhaps : OUT - Got 'em! The shortstop started celebrating before he even made the tag.
47. Territorial marking : POST - Yeah, I thought of another way to mark territory too
51. It may build up gradually : IRE
52. Skeet participant : TRAP SHOOTER - As done north of the border at the right? 😜
55. Styling creations : DOS - HAIRDOS that is
56. Italian cooking staple : TOMATO PUREE
57. Tolkien creature : ENT
58. Mall attraction : ANCHOR STORE - Brick and mortar stores are under assault by technology these days
1. Medieval weapon : MACE
2. Seaweed product : AGAR - A gelling agent seen at the top of this recipe
3. Indian palace resident : RANI
4. One of the Karamazovs : IVAN - Ivan Fyodorovich Karamazov and Alexi Fyodorovich Karamazov
5. "Deliverance" co-star of Jon, Burt and Ronny : NED - The less said about poor NED Beatty's fate the better!
6. Allow : ENABLE - Last week a former student invited us to see him work as a "bull fighter" at a PRCA Rodeo in Council Bluffs, IA. We saw him ENABLE a lot of cowboys to get away from some very nasty animals! What a way to make a living. He did get a bad sprained ankle that night but the show had to go on then and the next night also as the cowboys really depend on him and his partner.
7. Cause : BEGET - Some books of the Bible recount a lot of BEGETTING
8. Small program opener : ICON - On all our electronic desktops
9. Plains tribe : OTO
10. Classy wheels : MASERATI - You can drive this off the Omaha MASERATI lot today
11. Religious recluse : EREMITE - Merriman Webster - One that retires from society and lives in solitude especially for religious reasons. You're welcome.
12. Vehicle for some spiritual experiences : ASTRAL BODY - Google if you're interested
14. Depressed area : SWALE
22. Turned inside out : EVERTED - The most common ankle injury is an inversion not an EVERSION
23. Not feel well : AIL
24. Mrs. __, head of the kitchen in "Beauty and the Beast" : POTTS - Literally a Tea POT voiced by Angela Lansbury
25. Numb, in a way : DRUG
26. Marseilles money : EURO - €1,00 = $1.25
27. Erratic driver's comeuppance, perhaps : BREATH TEST
28. Pungent spice : BAY LEAF - Here seen adorning a Margherita Pizza
29. __ tendinitis: arm muscle ailment : BICEP - If it hurts, STOP!
31. Two-faced deity : JANUS
32. 1997 film character getting a lot of buzz? : ULEE - (Short for Ulysses) Our cinematic bee keeper Peter Fonda
33. Heroic adventure : GEST - Gary Cooper played one of the three GESTE brothers in this film and he does carry out a BEAU GESTE to protect his aunt's reputation
35. 1931 Oscar-winning Western based on an Edna Ferber novel : CIMARRON - Two very different posters for the same movie
38. "Raging Bull" boxer : LAMOTTA - A 1980 role for Robert DeNiro portraying Jake LAMOTTA
39. "Wolf" channel : CNN - Wolf Blitzer. Tricky, tricky!
41. Mailer, for one : AUTHOR - Norman Mailer - This NASA guy would really like to read Mailer's article that postdates the Moon landing by a month. YES, we really went!!
42. Something in back of a hit? : B-SIDE - Elvis and the Beatles had lots of A and B Sides that were both hits
43. Packer quarterback Rodgers : AARON
44. Feature of Sousa's music : GUSTO - The March King was the "Rock Star" of his era
47. Sulk : POUT
48. Catchall survey opción : OTRO - Other in Spanish
49. Carnival draw : SEER - Do you remember the Tom Hanks movie where Zoltar was the carnival SEER?
50. Street adornment : TREE
53. "Preacher" network : AMC - Make you wanna tune in?
54. Black __ : OPS
What say you?