google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday February 16, 2020 Ed Sessa

Advertisements

Feb 16, 2020

Sunday February 16, 2020 Ed Sessa

Theme: "Change for a Buck" - Anagrams of HORSE span across each theme entry.

26. *Ball game record: SCORE SHEET.

37. *One may be six feet long: HERO SANDWICH.

55. *Historic site in Paris' Latin Quarter: THE SORBONNE.

72. *Epithet for a fair British maiden: ENGLISH ROSE.

87. *Totally ripped: TORN TO SHREDS.
 
16D. *Car coolant carrier: RADIATOR HOSE.

61D. *Tourist's eye-opening experience, perhaps: CULTURE SHOCK.

Reveal:

102A. 1971 Stones hit, or what can be found in the answers to starred clues: WILD HORSES.

Great title. I'd be stumped and sent a SOS title help to Gary and D-Otto.

The key is to find different combinations of the letter HORSES and make sure they span across two more more words.

Lots of sparkly long fill in the grid, as it's expected from Ed, who's also an accomplished themeless constructor.

Across:

1. Ports in a storm: HAVENS.

7. Queens stadium namesake: ASHE.

11. HUN neighbor, to the IOC: CRO. Hungary. Croatia.

14. Wasn't indifferent: CARED.

19. Reading disorder: ALEXIA.

20. Car thief's contact: CHOP SHOP.

22. Cremona strings master: AMATI. Stradivarius' teacher. Sometimes we get STRAD in the grid.

23. How to handle fine china: GENTLY. Pretty tea cup.


24. "In your dreams!": NOT A HOPE.

25. Encouraged through chicanery: LED ON.

28. Was indebted to: OWED.

29. One way to solve crosswords: IN INK.

30. Nomadic Kenyans: MASAI. Maasai is the Wiki spelling.


31. Need an eraser, say: ERR.

33. __ New Guinea: PAPUA.

35. Near-eternity: AEON.

42. Asian holiday: TET.

45. Leveled, with "up": TRUED.

47. Like many indie films: ARTY.

48. Some interruptions: AHEMS.

49. Music to a matador's ears: OLE.

50. "Try it": TASTE THIS. That's baby yellow squash on the left.


53. Diner menu info: PRICE.

54. Apple starter: CRAN.


58. Indian title of respect: SAHIB.

59. Early Earth life forms: BACTERIA.

63. "The Great Dictator" Oscar nominee Jack: OAKIE. Oldie.

64. As an example: FOR ONE.

65. Either of two Indy 500 racers: AL UNSER.

66. Not fulfilled: UNMET.

67. Wanted poster listings: ALIASES.

68. Weaken: DILUTE.

69. Sheik's land, in song: ARABY.

70. Most ready for trouble: ALERTEST. And 76. Ready for trouble: ON THE BALL.

71. Baltic people: LETTS. FINNS too.

74. Burden: ONUS.

75. Yucatán "you": USTED.

81. __ Lingus: AER.

82. "The Jungle" author Sinclair: UPTON. A couple more authors:  94. "The Black Cat" author: POE. 110. "Rabbit" series author: UPDIKE.

83. Smoothie berry: ACAI.

85. Reliever's stat: SAVES.

86. Born, in some bios: NEE.

91. Woodwind piece: REED.

92. Courtroom pro: STENO.

95. Blood of the gods: ICHOR.

97. First name in furniture: ETHAN. There's an Ethan Allen in our neighborhood. The good old Slumberland was closed last year.

99. Intent look: GAZE.

107. Level and plane: TOOLS.

108. Mix thoroughly, as oil and vinegar: EMULSIFY.

111. Musician Minaj: NICKI.

112. Poppycock: NONSENSE.

113. E Street Band notable Van Zandt: STEVEN.  Wiki says he plays plays guitar and mandolin for the band.


114. Hydrocarbon group: ALKYL.

115. Enjoy a run, perhaps: SKI.

116. Director's challenges: EGOS.

117. Most affected by a workout: SOREST.

Down:

1. Baddies with pointy hats: HAGS.

2. Actor Guinness: ALEC.

3. Like cobras, but not pythons: VENOMOUS.

4. Web system allowing outside access: EXTRANET. Only knew INTRANET.

5. Frasier's brother: NILES.


6. Obeys a stick-wielding doctor: SAYS AH.

7. Bad marks in high school?: ACNE.

8. "If it fits" item: SHOE.

9. Most popular: HOTTEST.

10. Lead monitor, for short: EPA.

11. Word with line or hound: CHOW.

12. Climbing gear: ROPE.

13. Slanted column: OP-ED PIECE.

14. Islamic leaders: CALIPHS.

15. "Can we see __?": diner's request: A MENU.

17. Thames campus: ETON.

18. Tennis drop shot: DINK.

21. Fleeced: SHORN.

27. "... __ you home to dinner": Shak.: HIE.

32. Flat fish: RAY.

34. Summit: ACME.

35. Motion maker: Abbr.: ATT. Attorney.

36. Period of time: ERA.

38. Mrs. Gorbachev: RAISA. So elegant. Her husband is still alive.


39. Roughly: OR SO.

40. "Shoot!": DARN IT.

41. Weimaraner's complaint: WHINE.

43. Eatery seen in the film "Manhattan": ELAINE'S.

44. Car and Driver yearly listing: TEN BEST.

46. Can't brook: DETESTS.

51. Number of singers in The Chipmunks: THREE.

52. Estate beneficiary: HEIR.

53. Cans for cons: POKEYS. Great clue.

54. Jeweler's measure: CARAT.

56. Clown mascot's first name: RONALD.

57. Thumper's friend: BAMBI.


58. Evening parties: SOIREES.

59. Banking misjudgment: BAD LOAN.

60. Property recipient, in legal language: ALIENEE.

62. Letter-shaped fasteners: T NUTS.

64. Crayola color renamed Peach in 1962: FLESH.

66. Like a "Stat!" instruction: URGENT.

67. Way more than some: A LOT.

69. Composer Bruckner: ANTON. This is like our English Anthony, right?

70. Links army leader: ARNIE. Palmer. "The King" .

72. Ovarian hormones: ESTROGENS.

73. Frosty coat: HOAR.

75. Knowledgeable about: UPON.

77. Manhattan, say: BAR ORDER. Another great clue.

78. Causing avoidance: AVERSIVE. Only know AVERSE.

79. Peggy or Brenda of song: LEE.

80. Hallucinogenic letters: LSD.

82. Fork, for instance: UTENSIL.

83. Japan's largest active volcano: ASO. Mount Aso. We also have 97. Italian hot spot: ETNA.


84. Pondering, with "on": CHEWING.

88. Cars that sound like gems: OPELS. Opals.

89. "__ you really just say that?": DID.

90. Run down a mountain: SCHUSS.

93. Blathering: TALKY.

96. "__ it!": "Get moving!": HOP TO.

98. Hard work: TOIL.

100. Berserk: AMOK.

101. Pueblo people: ZUNI.

103. "That being the case ... ": IF SO.

104. Soapmaker's supplies: LYES.

105. Just makes, with "out": EKES.

106. Mailed: SENT.

109. Watch: SEE.

C.C.




22 comments:

Lemonade714 said...

Good morning:

Late sleepers again today. Fun to see HORSE as the theme right after yesterday's cute DUDLEY DO-RIGHT link from HG. Speaking of fun, Dr.Ed sent me off to gain knowledge of ALEXIA which made sense from the Latin adding "A" to the beginning of a word to mean not at all, like ATONAL or ASEXUAL .
I digress, a wonderfully clean 21x21 with TALKY my only clanker and the hated legal term ALIENEE (oops, my dyslexia kicked in).

Thank you C.C. and Dr. Sessa

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Got through this one in good time, except for one spot. I had CRAB APPLE and took some time to parse TEBBEST...oh, TEN. Nice to see SKI and SCHUSS in the same cw. Also IN INK rather than the nose-wrinkling IN PEN. I'll forgive ALERTEST and TALKY. Nice job, Dr. Ed, and C.C. that banquet dinner looks tasty, if a little sparse.

SHOE: If the foo...

RONALD: I was looking for the name of a mascot for a clown.

ESTROGENS: Can this be plurable? I guess Dr. Ed would know.

TTP said...

Good morning.

Good thing I wasn't solving IN INK. I made a mess of it smack dab in the middle by having typed an answer of UNemT where UNMET belonged. That made getting BAMBI and POKEYS my last fills after I finally saw the mistake.

Had a couple of other errant fills as well, but they weren't typos. FOR ONE, I had eel where RAY belonged.

Had AngRiEST for "Most ready for trouble" and that slowed down the solve a bit as well.

There was NOT A HOPE that 'as if' was going to fill all the blanks for the "In your dreams" clue, or 'Sri' where SAHIB belonged for the "Indian tile of respect" clue.

C.C., yes, I was expecting theme answers to be associated with making change for a dollar after reading the title.

Desper-otto, I'm taking back your sainthood. :>)

FLN Dash T, that was a good movie too. Is that the movie that spurred your interest in IT ?

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing ALIaNER x LaTTS. Should have noticed that, but it is a big puzzle. Erased seed for crab, then CRAN; ustas for USTED; oboe for REED; dang it for DARN IT; many for A LOT; ESTROGyNS; ADVERtIVE; ergo for IF SO; and eye for SEE.

The cancer removed from DW's breast likes ESTROGEN. She takes a pill to reduce the hormone and combat the cancer if it tries to recur.

"Oh, I could be anyone I wanted to be, Maybe suave Errol Flynn or the Sheik of Araby, If I only had a pencil thin mustache..." Jimmy Buffett's Pencil Thin Mustache.

I know STEVEN's face from his role as Silvio in The Sopranos.

"They were all impressed with your Halston dress, and the people that you knew at Elaine's..." from Billy Joel's hit Big Shot.

Still trying to make progress on yesterday's toughie. I'll give up if I can't make significant progress by tomorrow morning.

Fun challenging puzzle, Ed. Thanks. And thanks to CC for the interesting tour.

Anonymous said...

Nice puzzle, although I was unfamiliar with quite a bit: TRUED up, ALIENEE, Jack OAKIE, ALEXIA, ICHOR. I think the clue for AEON should have indicted it was a British or variant spelling.

I spent a semester at THE SORBONNE back in the day. That time in Paris was one of the greatest times of my life.

desper-otto, ESTROGEN refers to a family of hormones, so there are different ones (such as estrone and estradiol), and ESTROGENS is fine.

Jinx in Norfolk, I knew ELAINES from the Billy Joel song as well! Never saw the film Manhattan.



Big Easy said...

Never noticed the theme but finished IN INK faster than usual. ALEXIA, ASO, and EXTRANET are new to me; dysLEXIA I know. I had to look at ATT for 'Motion maker' after it was filled by perps. Thanks for the info C.C. I thought maybe ATT had some new equipment or plan.

CHOP SHOP- this week somebody a couple of miles from me had a brand new Jeep stolen from his driveway. I didn't think these newer cars could be hot-wired. Obviously car thieves know how.

MENU- in 53A clue and the fill for 15D. I had already filled 15D before I got to 53A so it did not matter. Unusual.

d-otto- I also had CRAB APPLE but TEBBEST made no sense the I thing the MT Ten Best cars are for the mfgs who advertise the most. My U-Verse has a Motor Trend channel, but I've never bothered to watch it.
*****************************************************************************************

FLN- went out of town for some friends 50 anniversary and got back late. It was a tough (as usual for a Sat.) puzzle. I only had one wrong fill TEGA instead of TYGA; both INJURE and INJURY would be correct for 'Tear'. I knew C MAJOR wouldn't work correctly so A MINOR was the only other option.

ENOKI and William PETERSON were unknowns. TOE TAG, RNC, & SPIN THE BOTTLE were WAGS. Never heard of OkCupid.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-NOT A HOPE – Sleeping without coughing last night. Forced me to take some naps solving Dr. Ed’s fine puzzle
-I use my iPhone LEVEL to TRUE up hanging pictures
-Van Zandt took off the bandana for a hair piece as Silvio Dante on the The Sopranos
-I best remember Sir ALEC in Bridge On The River Kwai
-Joann is an HEIR to her mother’s money but the Memory Care Unit will probably get it all first
-It should be illegal for anyone but Peggy LEE to sing Fever
-PC police - “DID you really just say that?”
-I feel a nap coming on, even on this 60˚F respite from winter today

TTP said...



C.C. has a puzzle, "On The Links" over at USA Today.

OwenKL said...

For Reading disorder I wanted BREXIT. It fit.
"ALEXIA (psychiatry) Word blindness, the inability, due to a cerebral disorder, to comprehend or understand writing."
I have word deafness, an inability, due to a cerebral disorder, to comprehend or understand spoken words.

A top-wanted car thief was "Breaker" Betsy,
She'd steal a car before you say, "Let's see...".
She was safe from a cop
When in a CHOP SHOP --
Dangerous places, but HAVENS to Betsy!

A geneticist is not a scientist to mock.
One hybridized an eel in a florist shop.
Now this ENGLISH ROSE
British TASTE will disclose --
By giving any plucker a CULTURE SHOCK!

OwenKL said...

{A, A-.}

NaomiZ said...

I should have consulted my better half. If I had, I would have written "AL UNSER" instead of "an Unser," and would have learned "ALIANEE" instead of putting a question mark next to "anianee." Thanks to Dr. Sessa for Sunday fun day, and to C.C. and the rest of you nice folks for explanations and commiserations.

Misty said...

Well, this will go down as one of my favorite Sunday puzzles of all time! A million thanks, Ed! I got almost, almost all of it without any cheating, and in the end had a problem only in the southeast corner. I kept thinking of Manhattan as a district or something, and so kept playing with the spelling of BOROUGH which just wasn't working. Never occurred to me as an alcoholic drink--hey, I've had two glasses of Merlot every evening for a couple of decades now so, of course, I don't know the other alcohols. But I got pretty much everything else--Woohoo! Got HAVENS and VENOMOUS early on, which helped with that corner. CARED got me started on RADIATION HOSE. SAY AH and RAISA gave me HERO SANDWICH. And so it went throughout the puzzle. My favorite tricky clues were 'Bad marks in high school' for ACNE, and slanted column for OP ED PIECE. Never heard of ALIENEE and still can't believe that's a property recipient? But lots of fun all around, so thank you again, Ed, for a great Sunday morning. And thank you always, C.C. for your helpful Sunday write-up.

Have a great Sunday, everybody.

Yellowrocks said...

A relief after yesterday's DNF. After the reveal I guessed the horses would be "bucking," but got distracted and didn't look for them. Neat puzzle.
I hear and read the slang word, TALKY quite often, usually it's pejorative.
Manhattan had me scratching my head for a while. Then I remembered having served many of them as a waitress.
CRAB before CRAN. But what is TEB BEST?
Jinx, I wish your wife healing and a good long term recovery.
Being a tourist in a different culture does not always cause culture shock. Many tourists look on the experience with fascination and curiosity, a way of learning new things,. etc. Living for a longer period of time in a different culture, especially if your are not in an enclave of your home countrymen, is more likely to cause cultural shock and a period of adjustment. It works the other way, too. I know in Japan many times tourists are courted and given much more patience by the locals than expats are given.
Immigrants coming to our country experience cultural shock. When we locals meet new immigrants we can experience culture shock, too. (Maybe this is not the term for it.)When I read stories of different cultures meeting one another for the first time, each culture considers the other culture odd and unmannerly and often less than civilized. This is the thesis that won me the fellowship to Japan. Sorry, if you find this too talky.

Wendybird said...

Thanks for a great puzzle, Dr. Sessa. Thanks for an interesting Tour, C.C. - loved the teacup.

Jack’s favorite cocktail is a Manhattan (perfect) but I still kept trying to fit borrough in somehow.

Jimmy Buffet’s Pencil Thin Mustache is one of my favorites. I have Margaritaville as one of my presets on my car radio, so it pops up frequently.

Lots of sun and warmer and warmer days. Great for whale watching, even from shore.

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle a lot. Wanted COCKTAIL for Manhattan but it didn't work. ALEXIA sounds like an Amazon product. I learned there are different ESTROGENS. I suspect ALIENEE is related to LIEN. It seems CRAN exists in no other word than CRANBERRY. (CRAN-APPLE is the brand name for cranberry-apple juice.) I chuckled at the OAKIE-POKEY cross. I think EMULSIFY is a cool word and ALERTEST is not.

Happy Valentine's Day plus 2.

Hungry Mother said...

Long weekend of crossword solving with the NY and LA Times. The weather here has been soggy and my solving has been sloggy. FIR today. Since I’ve been writing in ink on paper I haven’t noted the time at all, which is a good thing.

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk Say:

{A, A+ (though I thought you were going to Little Shop of Horrors at 1st}

TTP - I was already into programming. War Games introduced me to hacking. After watching the movie, a buddy and I wrote a daemon-dialer for his Apple][e and started having conversations w/ bank's computers, railroad switches, and IL's mainframe. We were good Catholic boys so we didn't break or steal anything other than a few CPU cycles while we learned how all these things worked.

Along the hacking theme... BigE - Rolljam is ne method of messing w/ KeyFobs. Here's an amplification attack in action caught on someone's Ring.

My middle-finger has mostly healed from the mandoline incident and I had my first real workout w/ my trainer today. I feel good.

I hope y'all are also having a bangup day!

Cheers, -T

Anonymous T said...

And now for something completely different...

I just found this Rotary Cell in my Twitter feed. I want. -T

Wilbur Charles said...

Jinx, I've pretty much lost hope but I'll keep trying for a miracle on the Saturday disaster. NW and North have me.

Ok. INJURY. Let's see if I can perp in from there. The middle north looks like parallel Naticks.

I had some bad boxes. LaTT for LETT. And Jack OAKey. DARNeT???

Fun solve. I went back and found some of the HORSES.

WC

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed today's puzzle. Got the theme right away but DNF due to unfamiliarity with OAKIE, ARABY, and POKEY. Probably first time I've read all three works that were clues to the authors as answers. Thanks Ed!

Abejo said...

Good evening, folks. Thank you, Ed Sessa,for fine puzzle. Thank you, C.C., for a fine review.

Started this puzzle this morning about 8:30. Worked it for a while. Went to church, then went to Rockford for the afternoon, then came home and finished the puzzle. Phew! Puzzle was not real easy, but doable.

The theme emerged eventually. Once I got it, it helped with many answers.

Some tough ones and some I certainly never heard of: EXTRANET, MASAI, ALEXIA, ANTON, OAKIE, UPDIKE, STEVEN, ALKYL, NICKI, FLESH. Anyhow. Thank you, perps.

Liked IN INK. That is how I do when I use paper.

We seem too get ACAI a lot. OK with me.

Anyhow, I have to run. Lots to yet tonight.

See you tomorrow. I can sleep in because no school due to Presidents' Day.

Abejo

( )

Michael said...

Oh, -T, now you've got me lusting for that dial-cell phone. My kids urged me to get a cell phone, but the furshlugginer thing is so sensitive that I have spent probably half an hour just swearing at the poor thing -- it's not the phone's fault that it was designed by east Asian dwarves, who have microdactyls instead of fingers.