google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, March 2, 2022, Ed Sessa

Advertisements

Mar 2, 2022

Wednesday, March 2, 2022, Ed Sessa

Title: Do you see what I see? LYRICS+

Happy Mittwoch, Lemonade filling a blogging gap and returning to the day of the week of my first blogging gig here, sharing Wednesday with Melissa B. I do not get another rookie setter but the great Dr. Ed Sessa. It may not be a Friday, but it is not a walk in the park. It is a visual theme without normal theme symmetry or exact theme fill. Instead you need to study the grid and "see" what picture appears when you not only highlight the double Os (no James Bond theme here) but highlight each BUS above the Os.  So today we start with the highlighted grid and work backwards.
Using your childlike imagination which may be a little dormant, you can see a yellow school bus on its two round wheels. There is overall puzzle symmetry including the two grid-spanners, but that does not help locate a theme.

The magic pairs are:

18A. Catskills restaurant job for young Jerry Lewis:     B U S BOY.
19A. Acted with total independence: ANSWERED   TO NONE.
This is a challenging 15 letter fill, but crucial to the plan. Lewis was a soda jerk but never a bus boy. Now his name reappears as an alleged sexual predator.

24A. Farm units:                         BUSHELS.   Doris Day
29A. Some wind components:  OBOE REEDS. They make the sound.

31A. Smooch:                                 BUSS.   kiss, kiss
38A. Melville sequel to "Typee": OMOO. This is classic crosswordese for the vowels.

45A. Garment aptly named for where it's worn:        BUSTIER
50A. What the filled-in circles do, in a tots' song: GOROUND AND ROUND.  Another 15 letter fill which plays double duty a reveal and part of the theme. Quite clever.
I will not touch the bustier reference, (have to be careful learning from Bill Cosby and Jerry Lewis) but will continue to the rest of the fun.

Across:

1. Animal fat: LARD. Once controversial, is it making a comeback?

5. Mer, here: SEA. French lesson.

8. Business entities: FIRMS. When used in a title, "firm" is typically associated with businesses that provide professional law and accounting services, but the term may be used for a wide variety of businesses, including finance, consulting, marketing, and graphic design firms, among others.

13. State as fact: AVER. A popular law word.

14. Photo: PIC. Nic?

15. Patronize a bistro, say: EAT OUT. I think the bistro reference was to make getting the "out" part more easily as they often offer both inside and outside dining.

16. Cover for a king: ROBE. Especially if it is an Emperor who ordered new clothes.

17. Onassis, familiarly: ARIstotle.

22. Parrot's screech: AWK. Not really. LINK. It is more well known word to computer programmers now. Right -T?

23. Voiced sounds: SONANTS. Hmm,  (ˈsəʊnənt) / adjective. phonetics denoting a voiced sound capable of forming a syllable or syllable nucleus. inherently possessing, exhibiting, or producing a sound. okay. Friday word at least. 

28. Yeoman's "yo": AYE. So many ways to say yes. I did a list years ago but now wiki will do it for you.

35. Fluids used for blood typing: SERA. plural noun: this 
an amber-colored, protein-rich liquid that separates out when blood coagulates.

36. Theater reservations: SEATS. Can you reserve standing room? Keith?

39. Rep on the street: CRED. Reputation gives you credibility. Both abbreviations.

40. Delay one's decision: SLEEP ON IT. This procrastintor's phrase has an early example which can be found in the State Paper of Henry VIII (1519): "His Grace…sayd that he wold slepe and drem upon the matter." Yes, that Henry the VIII.

42. Camera variety, initially: SLRSingle Lens Reflex. I will defer to Picard and waseely and others who like taking pictures and are much better at it than I.

44. Fills with passion: ENAMORS. Merriam Webster (MW) says, this is from the Middle English enamouren, from Anglo-French enamourer, from en- + amour first used in the 14th century meaning to inflame with love. Anyone here been inflamed recently? Splynter?

49. Smack-__: DAB. Not David Aldred Bywaters but a phrase from the 1890s meaning "exactly, squarely." Do you like:

Version 1                                                        Version 2

55. React to with a belly laugh: ROAR AT. Yay! NOT aroar!

56. New start?: NEO. Has anyone watched the new Matrix movie?

57. Inside information?: X-RAY. A really fun clue/fill as that is where docs findout what is going on inside.

58. Queen of puzzles: ELLERY. There are so many famous female detectives, but this time it is these GENTLEMEN who were the Queen.

59. Big name on Wall Street: DOW. Dow Jones is a combination of the names of business partners Charles Dow and Edward Jones who along with Charles Bergstresser founded Dow Jones & Company in 1882.  

60. To be, to Livy: ESSE. His HISTORY. Esse is "to be" in Latin.

61. "__ what I had in mind": WASN'T. This is the happy response to  my passive/agressive "I guess I should go."

62. Stop on the road: INN. A place to say. 

63. Some coll. requirements: SATS. The Scholastic Aptitude Test  is a standardized test designed to measure basic critical reading, math and writing skills. No longer universally accepted but still offered.

I used to teach an LSAT prep class. If you want to try a new SAT I will send you a practice test, send me your answers and I will tell you how well you did.

Down:

1. Mother on Krypton: LARA. Lara (née Lara Lor-Van) is a fictional character who appears in comic books published by DC Comics. She first appeared in the Superman comic strip and was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Lara is the biological mother of Superman, and the wife of scientist Jor-El. They like hyphenated names.

2. Big name in romance fiction: AVON. Avon has been publishing award-winning romance since 1941. It is recognized for having pioneered the historical romance category and continues to publish in wide variety of other genres, including paranormal, urban fantasy, contemporary and regency. It is now owned by Harper Collins.

3. Civil War soldiers: REBS. Them damn rebs! Or those gallant boys.

4. Overtook, with "of": DREW AHEAD. All you need to KNOW.

5. Kills it on stage: SPARKLES. HMM. 

6. Auld land: EIRE. The language of the land

7. Essential fatty __: ACIDS. The term essential fatty acids (EFA) refers to those polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) that must be provided by foods because these cannot be synthesized in the body yet are necessary for health. There are two families of EFA, omega-3 (ω-3) and omega-6 (ω-6). NIH website.

8. Florae counterparts: FAUNAE. Plants and animals.

9. "The program's starting!": IT'S ON. Oh goody, it's time for Howdy Doody.

10. High-tech worker: ROBOT. But do they have a union? How can RAMI MALEK be a robot and Freddie Mercury? Wow!

11. Elementary particles: MUONS. As explained by the Department of Energy DOE.

12. Lid bump: STYE. Not where pigs live. STYES and CHELAZIONS.

15. Dark wood: EBONY. Back already from Monday's puzzle

20. Still-life subject: EWER. Can you pitcher that picture?

21. Newlywed, at times: TOASTEE. You bet, when he gets caught in the back with a bridesmaid.

24. Pear variety: BOSC. No relaion to Harry.

25. Lyft competitor: UBER. They raised their prices here so much I do notuse them any longer. Since I am not allowed to drive, I was...

26. Really ticked: SORE. ...and almost...
 
27. Blows a fuse: SEES RED.

30. Indian lentil dish: DAL. You want to try... RECIPE.

31. Early hip-hop hardware: BOOM BOXES. Although the Boombox has strong cultural associations with New York Hip Hop culture, the first model was in fact developed in the Netherlands. The Dutch company Philips released their first 'Radiorecorder' in 1966.

32. Curt refusal: UM NO. Whi is this Curt and why is he refusing? What is he refusing? Was it Curt Flood?

33. Evening in Avignon: SOIR. Simplement, en Francaise.

34. Tipplers: SOTS.

37. Demote to the minors: SEND DOWN.

41. Host before Carson: PAAR.

42. Comic store owner on "The Big Bang Theory": STUART.
43. Full of fuzz: LINTY. Like many belly buttons, though not belly laughs.

45. Half a Yale cheer: BOOLA. Boola boola has been around since about 1901, but it may never had a better performance'

46. Range with one end in Kazakhstan: URALS.

47. Philosopher Kierkegaard: SOREN. I will defer to Bill and others with a relationship with Christianity to discuss his writings but he was an interesting looking man. 

48. Zuckerberg Media founder Zuckerberg: RANDI. One of Mark's SISTERS

50. Raised on a farm: GREW. Speaking of the flora and fauna.

51. Bright light: NEON.The bright lights of Broadway is both a eupemism and a reality. How they WORK.

52. __ Major: URSA. Another bear.

53. Democratic donkey designer: NAST. Most Americans would be surprised to learn that both political symbols, the donkey and the elephant were created by the same political CARTOONIST in the late 19th century.

54. Beauty salon supplies: DYES. Can you think of another three letter beauty supply as we say adieu to to this puzzle and prepare for my next appearance at a club near you on Friday, March 11, 2022.

Grid on top so I will be saying my thanks to Dr.Ed and to all of you who read and/or write now. Maybe you can send me a joke or a cartoon I could put in here...anyway, nice to visit Wednesday and talk about this gem. Lemonade out.

43 comments:

OwenKL said...

FIRight. It's Wednesday.

I didn't look for a theme until after the reveal, when all tires were already filled in with rims. Even then, I didn't notice the BUS fill until I'd looked at it more closely. Brilliant idea! And for all the circle haters, the circle per se were part of the theme!

All the conspiracies wackos found
GO ROUND AND ROUND, round and round!
Then Q-ballers joined in,
And bigots with white skin,
All around the Washington town!

Once there was an Echo of SONANT tone,
Wondered how other Echos were done.
But he couldn't go look,
He was bound to his nook,
In protest, the Echo ANSWERED TO NO ONE!

{C+, A-.}




Subgenius said...

At first, I couldn't imagine what the theme could possibly be, with just two "o's" circled in the first long answer.

Subgenius said...

But with the reveal, the nursery song became clear. I think this puzzle was ingenious. FIR, so I'm happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

D-o missed the bus this morning. He saw the circles, so that's something. Not ATOMS, but MUONS. And that parrot's screech: AWK word. Nicely done, Dr. Ed, and thanx for pinch-hitting this morning, Lemonade. (How 'bout GEL for that 3-letter salon supply?)

XRAY: I'm scheduled for a Dexa scan later this month. It's about six years overdue. Can you spell "procastinate?"

Taxing day. First time "back in the saddle." Should be interesting.



WinthorpeIII said...

Can we use "gels" as a plural for salon supplies?

unclefred said...

FIR, but took 26. Like D-O, I saw the circles but missed the bus ‘till Lemon ‘splained it. Very clever. Big messy W/O at ENAMORS. I had so many different words there, starting with ENRAGES. Thanx for the fun, ES, and thanx for the write up, Lemonade.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I now know without a shadow of a doubt that I could never be a blogger. Until reading the review, I was ready to pronounce this a meh theme and not up to Dr. Sessa’s usual standards. I missed seeing the Bus over the wheels completely. But thanks to the insight and expertise of Lemony’s explication skills, I apologize to Dr. Ed and offer a resounding A+ for the clever theme and execution. Other than Sonants, Randi, Muons, and Lara, I thought the fill was pretty straightforward with only two w/os, Kiss/Buss and On Air/It’s On. I was surprised at the C/A of Kills It On Stage=Sparkles; Sparkles doesn’t translate to Kills, IMO, but maybe that’s just me. I did enjoy the pairings of Bus/Buss, Neo/Neon, and Aye/Stye/Dye(s) and the CSOs to Ray O and Inanehiker (X Ray, Sera) and to all the Academics (SATs).

Thanks, Dr. Ed, and a sincere Mea Culpa for doubting your talents and thanks, Lemony, for proving my doubts to be totally unfounded. I enjoyed your commentary and links and, as usual, your subtle sense of humor.

DO, many Happy Returns! 🤣

FLN

Lucina, have a wonderful trip.

Have a great day.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but hand up for atoms -> MUONS and kiss -> BUSS. Eight unknowns, but they either didn't cross or were easy to guess after partial fill. Didn't get the "bus" part of the theme until I got here.

Do FIRMS benefit from a BUSTIER? Inquiring minds want to know. Or at least one does.

Before NAST, the symbol for the Democrat Party was a rooster.

Thanks for the fun challenge, Ed. And thanks to Lemony for the interesting tour. DNK that AWK was a Linux utility. But I knew ACK and NAK in ASCII, so I got that goin' for me.

Big Easy said...

Ed's puzzles are never easy and this was no exception. I FIR but thought the circled O&O and reveal of GO ROUND AND ROUND was silly; never noticed the BUS above the Os.

I'll 'touch' the BUSTIER reference. I misread the clue and kept thinking BOW TIES and filled SANDI for the unknown RANDI. Didn't know SOREN or STUART either. Reread the clue for 45A and finished the puzzle correctly.

AS usual Sessa's puzzle had very few proper names but he put four of them in the SW. ELLERY, RANDI, SOREN, STUART.

KS said...

Circles, yuk. And a lot of the cluing was a stretch too far, yuk.

Wilbur Charles said...

I suppose everybody inked or typed atoms which was too easy for a late week xword but Wednesday?

Same thoughts as IM re. Theme. Anyone try itguy/ROBOT? NE got very messy but eventually FIR

For mystery I like Nero Wolfe

I'm having trouble pulling up names like SOREN and dnk RANDI

WC

Thanks for pitching in lemony

Yes, I liked #2, Owen but #1 was good too

ATLGranny said...

FIR slowly especially at the top. The reveal explained the circled Os, but I didn't see the BUS on top of each set of wheels until I wondered about all the Bs used in the puzzle. Then I saw what Ed did. Clever, Ed. Thanks for the fun!

Thanks, Lemonade, for helping out today. I always enjoy your reviews and extra information. NAST also created the Santa image we're familiar with. Ho, ho, ho.

Hope everyone has a jolly day this Wednesday!

Lemonade714 said...

Thank you ATL G, I was hoping someone would mention the Santa image. I like blogging, but I also look forward to comments from the readers.

CanadianEh! said...

Wonderful Wednesday. Thanks for the fun, Ed and Lemonade (thanks for filling in).
I said “circles again!” when I saw the grid, but unlike ks@7:21, I changed my opinion. I saw the double Os by their second appearance, put Os in the rest of the circles and got the theme (grands loved that tune). I smiled and thought BUSBOY was an Easter Egg. But then the rest of the BUSes arrived at the station. Brilliant.

EAT At elongated to OUT.
I thought too hard for Pawn before ROBE.
Hand up for Kiss before BUSS. I thought of Atoms but perps in place gave MUONS.

This Canadian did not know BOOLA - perps were needed.
And you all felt my pain with ENAMORS. UM NO!
I smiled at OBOE REEDS. The wheels!

Wishing you all a great day. Happy travels Lucina.

CanadianEh! said...

IM- you missed SORE and SOREN. DOW crossing DOWN (going down!) was great too.
I think “kills it on stage” refers to Emoting. I can see SPARKLES fitting. Think of Rocky Horror Picture Show as an over-the-top example!

FLN- Picard- I just went back to look at your videos. Love those goats butting (not BUSSing!) and their wagging tails.
(So sad about your YouTube problems.)
And such fun at your Mardi Gras parade. I don’t know how you balance that unicycle.
Also worth a look for any who want to see BUSTIERS.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-I missed the BUS! Way cool, Dr. Sessa!
-SOREN and RANDI descending through BUSTIER was a major speed bump
-Jerry Lewis was a very disturbed person on many accounts
-SEATS – A great Beatles cover band is coming to Lincoln and my 19-yr-old grandson is a fan. I am debating to see if we would agree to go with me.
-Math teachers here have an SAT prep video series. They show a 10-minute clip in all their study halls
-Omaha is a great town but no KC Royal likes getting SENT DOWN to the Storm Chasers there
-I had seniors last period and 7th graders this period. It takes a whole different skill set for each!

Lucina said...

Hola!

This BUS trip looked very strange to me until reading Lemonade's itinerary. Thank you, Jason!
I surmised the Os in the circles meant wheels but that's as far as my reasoning went. Clever, Mr. Sessa. Also, I did not know Mark Zuckerberg had a sister but RANDI was a sold fit.

LARD is an essential ingredient in tamales.

That's an interesting new clue for URALS. And I love the clue for X-RAY!

I'm so glad to have been born in an era when the BUSTIER is no longer necessary.

Thank you for the good wishes on my travel. I look forward to a smooth and uneventful flight.

Take good care of yourselves, everyone, and please stay well! Ta Ta for now.




Bob Lee said...

Excellent puzzle. I loved figuring out why GoRoundAndRound until I figured out BUS with wheels underneath. Very very clever.

One early misstep was with all the Bs starting answers, I put in BRED instead of GREW for raised on the farm. (Yeah, and ITGuy) Fixed quickly.

The only RANDI I know of is The Amazing Randi! Now I know two.

My favroite answer was BOOLA. Now I'm humming that silly tune.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Easier for me than yesterday. Cute visual theme: 🚌 with wheels:⚙ O's that GOROUNDANDROUND. Kinda lika a rebus (reBUS 😀) but without the nonsense. Had some trouble with the ANSWER part of TONOONE as the final fill.

("The driver of the bus said Move on back" etc. Rosa said NO!!)

Inkovers: caw/AWK,*Omoe/OMOO, (was thinking of our Chairman).. kiss/BUSS,(who didn't make this mistake without perp-aid? 🤨). ENAMORS (It. inamorata/o, "belovèd"). Kind of an odd clue for SPARKLES. SOREN, there's a ride at Epcot named for him. The kitchen appliance is the toaster ergo the bread is the TOASTEE

"Krypton" had a mother? oh "on" Krypton. Seems mirthful crowds in CW's always ROAR. When I was a kid Mom had a friend who never said "laughed" she always ROARED in her stories. Dad and I would look at each other and stifle our own ROAR. All I could think of was her ROARing like a lion. 🦁

UMNO?...UM NO!!🙄.....MUONS?...

Nope I did NOT give it up for Lent....😇
....
Osculating lad....BUSBOY
Insect colony male offspring....SONANTS
What the Chairman's DW sighs when he errs...."____"!!...*OMOO
Some coll. requirement...ESSE
Planetary companions...MUONS
Craps cubes....DYES

It's snowing again......who says March heralds spring.




waseeley said...

Thank you Dr. Ed for a slightly crunchy, but FIRable Wednesday puzzle. As the grid had circles, and as they soon started filling up with O's, which looked like the hubcaps of wheels, and the reveal made them GO ROUND AND ROUND, I looked up and saw that that they were attached to BUSES!

And thank you Lemonade for STEPPING UP on short notice to provide another interesting and revealing review. Thanks for the EAR WORM from our childhood which we continue to share with our young grand children.

22A AWK. A relatively simple scripting language (interpreted rather than compiled) that was developed by Unix programmers Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan. I believe it provided the inspiration for later full featured languages like Perl ("Practical Extraction and Rubbish Lister").

42A SLR. Picard is hands down the most prolific photographer on the Corner. My output pales in comparison by orders of magnitude. Teri has done some nice work, but mostly in the pre-digital era. When I'm able to get some of her prints digitized I'll share some of them.

57A XRAY. Clever clue and a CSO to Ray - O, a clever guy.

33D SOIR. Anyone who has studied any French will remember this earworm. Just down the A7 from Avignon is Aix en Provence. Britbox has just started a classy new series called "Murder in Provence" starring Roger Allam (Endeavor) and Nancy Carrol (Father Brown). The first episode was really great.

47D SOREN. Thanks for the CSO Lemony, but as a Catholic I'm probably not the best person to comment on Lutheran Søren Kierkegaard (5 May 1813 – 11 November 1855). However I did find this interesting article on this rather melancholy philosopher and theologian that may be of some interest.

Cheers,
Bill

waseeley said...

Word of the Day accrete

Pronunciation: ê-kreet

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. Grow or build up slowly over time. 2. To accumulate by coalescence, acquire gradually, to draw or attract to itself.

Notes: Here is a word that is an approximate synonym with accrue. The difference is that accrete implies growth while accrue simply means "accumulate" by any means. Accrete is a backformation from its current noun accretion. The adjective accompanying this verb is accretive.

In Play: Stalagmites and stalactites are not the only things that accrete: "The aspects of Horatio's Self accreted in his Facebook profile over the years until he seemed a consequential figure in his region." The implication here is growth, but simple accumulation is also a possibility: "When Horatio posted his photo on Facebook he sat back and watched the comments accrete to it."

Word History: Accrete was a backformation from accretion, which English borrowed from Latin accretio(n) "an increase, growth", a noun based on the past participle, accretus, of accrescere "to increase, grow larger".

For more info see Word of the Day

Yellowrocks said...

Like many I missed the bus but saw the wheels. My face is red because immediately after the reveal I started to sing The Wheels on the Bus. I knew there were many B's. The buses made the theme great. I spend little effort deciphering the themes, but enjoy hearing about them.
Seemed like the normal Wednesday difficulty to me.
AROAR means roaring, but it feels like a stronger word. Not just roaring but bellowing, clamorous, thundering. It is often used for excited stadium crowds. It also used for the sound of the surf.
I can't understand the antipathy to A-words. They are common in print. They liven up the language.
We like to eat out, whether at indoor or outdoor establishments.
Thanks for the interesting puzzle, Ed. Thanks for a great review, Lemonade.

CrossEyedDave said...

My 1st reaction after opening the write-up was
Awk-k-kk-k-k-k!
(Normally, it would be Ack! But in keeping with the puzzle...)

I never saw the bus coming!

I was pleasantly thinking,
"This is unusually easy for a Ed Sessa."
Wondering if perhaps the circled "o"'s were perhaps "Oreos"
And the filling was "re?"
(How on Earth could a constructor make "that" work?)
And
(Hmm, has something like it been done before?)

Anywho,
Somehow this puzzle reminds me of the last minute
In this Mean Girls Clip.

I just never saw it coming...

waseeley said...

Jinx @7:15 AM No, but FIRM BUSTS do.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

The *The Wheels on the Bus brought back memories...😊

Riding the bus to downtown in the late 50s

Mom (hat with demi veil, gloves) and I wait at the curb with the painted telephone pole. The bus stops for us. Diesel smell. Tokens into the metal machine, the driver would look for the right amount through the glass then tip the lever.. (The money on the bus goes "clink, clink, clink")

I had to sit next to the window. The great fun mystery of when to pull the cord that rings the bell to let the driver know to let us off at the next stop

Me, "Pull it now Mom, now?"
Mom "No wait, I'll tell you when"
Mom "OK you can do it now"

I reach up anxiously but...someone else pulls the cord first !!😲. I still reach up, but Mom gives me her Mom look... "Don't!!"😏

Maybe on the ride home.🤗

"The Wheels on the Bus."

*American folk song written in the 1930’s by Verna Hills of Boston, MA.

CrossEyedDave said...

FLN:

I said:
Do you think today's wordle word was fair?

And then Lemon said:
For those of you who Wordle™ it is worth remembering that this was conceived and the list of words created by a man in Britain. Also, fair is not a realistic goal without defining the parameters.

And then
TXMs said...
CED @10:23a re Wordle. Scrolling through the internet news today, there was a headline about the blasphemy (or whatever) of using double letters. Is this what you were referencing?

To which I now reply:

Lemonade714 said it well,
I suppose "if" it is in the English (&/or) American dictionary,
All's fair in love of puzzling...

TXMS, blasphemous?
Good gracious no! Double letters are just part of the fun!

No. I was just Thumperizing my usual rant of
French in English crosswords, crossed over to Wordle,
ALA CrossEyedDave...

I trust (hope) that now that a full day has passed,
I can type "Rupee" without offending any Wordlers.
And yes, Rupee is in the dictionary, tho hardly known to most
Other than avid old gamers that played Legend of Zelda on
Black and white gameboys.
(Apologies to Vidwan, may your cup overfloweth with Rupees.)
It is just me me saying, watch out Wordlers!
Tomorrow's Wordle might be something as "nasty" as Paise!

oc4beach said...


Today was a nice, slightly crunchy puzzle by our friend Dr. Ed Sessa. Plus a great tour through the grid by Lemon.

I didn't get the theme until Lemon explained it, but I was able to fill in the puzzle correctly. No W/O's but a few guesses to fill in some of the unknowns like rANDI and sOREN. But I did know STUART, ELLERY and OMOO.

I liked the lead off clue being LARD. It is now being touted as the "Natural" fat again. As Irish Miss knows LARD is the oil that GIBBLES potato chips are fried in.

I've had a lot Lab tests and next week I have to go for a CaT Scan to see what's wrong with me.

Have a great day everyone.

CrossEyedDave said...

Also,

The wheels on the bus
go round and round, with occasional stops
to feed my silliness....

Misty said...

Found this a bit of a toughie for a Wednesday, but still fun--thanks, Ed. And very helpful commentary, Lemonade, thanks for that too.

FAUNAE was easy as the counterpart of Florae--clear clue and solve.

But have never heard of MUONS.

I too had KISS before BUSS. But no problem with that SOIR evening in Avignon, or those SOTS who may be enjoying some wine there.

NEON shows up a lot in puzzles these days.

Delighted that I remembered SOREN Kierkegaard instantly.

Have a great day, everybody.

Picard said...

Oh, Wow. I totally missed the BUS and just saw the wheels! Thank you Lemonade for the yellow highlighting. Brilliant construction!

I ride the BUS often in Santa Barbara and am frustrated that a shortage of drivers is causing them randomly to cancel runs. The General Manager has agreed to meet with me next week to come up with a better solution. Obviously, it is better to schedule which runs are cancelled than to do it randomly. I really wonder if any adults are in charge anymore.

CanadianEh, Bill Seeley, Lemonade, Irish Miss, LEO III, Yellowrocks, Lucina Thank you for the comments about my photos and videos yesterday and today. I thought the GOAT experience was extraordinary. So grateful to share it again with friends this week. Including the RAMs butting heads. They are adorable.

Here I was honored to meet my hero The Amazing RANDI.

Bob Lee Yes, he was the only RANDI I ever heard of, too. All the major roads and highways were washed out in our area due to a "500 Year Flood". I was grateful to have travel insurance and they flew me out on what must have been an expensive flight. Just to meet RANDI!

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

So yous missed me, eh?, C,Eh!, ATLGranny, et.al.... *blush*
I've been solving, reading y'all (mostly), and drafting but wound up too tired / too late to (shoddily) edit & post the last few days. #CurrentEvents #CyberSecStuff

//ATLGranny - the major work on the foundation is done. Now I'm looking for 17"x17" Italian ceramic tile that matches what was put down >12 years ago. No such luck so far.
Waseeley - you throw tiles in your kiln? ;-)

==== Puzzle Stuff Start Here =====
Thanks Dr. Ed for today's cute theme. I'd lead Girls in ROUNDS of Wheels on the Bus 15 yrs ago - they loved making up where the bus would stop in town.
Theme filled BUS_ instead of 'kiss' @31a

Thanks for sitting in Wednesday Lem. I used to use the sed | AWK pipeline bunches but grep does most of my quick-n-dirty now.
//Waseeley know of 'Lazy, Impatient, Hubris' Wall #perl

WOs: EATs at ->OUT; I started paER [sic - should be pear #dyslexia] b/f EWER
ESPs: SOIR, SOREN | ELLERY | BOO[Y?|L?]A, RANDI
Fav: Lem saw it too... a BUSHEL & a BUSS (and a hug around the neck)

{B, B+}

FLN - just 'cuz we don't comment doesn't mean we don't enjoy goats, Cap'n P.
CED - re: Wordle. I got it in 4; had to reverse 1 & 3 for the win, IIRC.
//I'm telling you 'stake' is the best word to start with. End w/ E? Got an S, T, or A?

LARD - IM (& oc4!) recommended Gibbles' chips. The girls didn't like the lard flavor (yeah, like they knew b/f I told them) so, whoot!, more for me :-)
++Tamales, Lucina. //P.S. - don't fly Aeroflot this week

Anyone remember The FIRM? [trailer]. DW & I were still Newlyweds (well, 9 years in but no kids yet
!) when we viewed it. This!, as I was contemplating jumping from DoD to a Consulting Firm --- is that really how it works?!? #HoneyPotPictures :-o

HG - re: Lewis==disturbed... is that why the French loved him? *ducks*
BobLee - I love me some Amazing Randi too. Cool pic of you & Randi, Picard.

I better hit Publish b/f fecal matter hits another turbine blade, otherwise...

Cheers, -T

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

FIR with a couple of w/o’s: TOASTED/TOASTEE; NOIR/SOIR

CSO to Lemon with all of the Oo’s - surprised he didn’t mention the reference to his DW 😃

😘 = symbol for “O’s” in a love note

As Jason said, being a blogger does make us more receptive to creative puzzle themes; and sometimes makes you overthink them. But today I got the AHA moment as soon as I figured out the reveal in 50-across - which also allowed me to correct my mistake at 33-down

Spoiler alert: Friday puzzle this week is a real ___

Thanks Dr Ed


Wilbur Charles said...

Someone brought a bio of JERRY West who , like Lewis had issues(not sexual). I showed it to a friend and he immediately borrowed it

TOASTEE was tricky.

Fln, enjoyed the wacky parade Picard, including the nut on the unicycle. And that BUSTy Jeune fille(among many)

WC

Irish Miss said...

CEh @ 9:16 ~ Missing those was nowhere near as embarrassing as missing the Bus over the wheels! 🤣

CED @ 11:26 ~ I saw what you did there!

oc4beach @ 11:29 ~ Good luck with your upcoming tests. Loved your cartoons and, thanks to you, still love my Gibble’s! Just got another order several days ago.

Anon T @ 12:24 Yes, youse was missed! (Your girls don’t know what they’re missing by passing up those chips!) Good luck with your tile search.

waseeley said...

-T @12:34 PM I have many tiles painted by my granddaughters waiting to be fired, but they weren't thrown.
Loved the link on Larry Wall. I've been donating a lot of my computer books lately, but the Camel Book is one I've not been able to part with. DNK he had a religious bent (you have to be slightly bent to be religious!) and like many I've speculated on the origins of Perl's name. WOW, Gospel truth it's actually from Matthew 13:46. I haven't kept up with the language, but recall all the speculations about Perl 6. DNK that RAKU was its successor. You realize of course that it's a type of pottery right? Didn't see anything in his bio about that, but there has to be some kind of connection. At least he didn't name it "42".

desper-otto said...

Hey Wordles, if RUPEE or FLUFF are too tame for you, you can try the Quordle -- www.quordle.com. Just like Wordle, except you're solving four puzzles simultaneously -- you can take up to 9 tries to get 'em all before the buzzer goes off. Tough. (Hey, Anon-T, welcome back. I, too, had to swap 1 and 3 for the solve.)

gmony said...

Started then fell asleep. Woke up and thought it was Friday. Then I realized the puzzle was, not the day. Got the o's and goes around first. The oboe is a common answer lately. But did not like today's puzzle no fun. Caught me off guard. I'll wait til Friday for an easier puzzle.

inanehiker said...

Really enjoyed the creative theme from Ed Sessa - and I have had my new grandson James and daughter visiting for a week from Seattle - so I was singing that very song a few times this week!

Now that they are off to the airport I need to catch up with the rest of life around here.
Thanks Lemonade and Ed!

Ol' Man Keith said...

A tricker PZL than I expected on this humpday from Mr. Sessa. It all came through in the end, but there were a few unknowns.

Most frustrating for me was SONANTS, because it seems like a word I ought to have learned years ago in speech classes. But to me, voiced sounds are "phonemes," the building blocks of words, of language.

I can only imagine that SONANTS are noises that can be uttered and yet have no relation to language, perhaps the kinds of noise that go into "onomatopoeia" or when we imitate sounds heard in nature or from mechanical sources (including musical instruments).
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Four diagonals, three of them on the near end.
The central diag offers a long anagram (14 of 15 letters) suggesting that there is something endearing in today's fills, or perhaps in the quaint manner in which we do them.
Are they not indeed...

"LOVABLE ANSWERS"?!

Jayce said...

I enjoyed this puzzle but also missed the BUS to which the wheels are attached. Much appreciated.

CrossEyedDave said...

Irish Miss@1:30

LOL!

I knew I was being too cute to get anything past Irish Miss....

Irish Miss said...

CED @ 5:01 ~ You certainly know the surest way to put a smile on my face! Thank you. 🤗

LEO III said...

Well, I thought I had finally entered puzzle nirvana and scored an FIR on a Dr. Ed puzzle. Alas, I got tripped up in a couple of spots, and while I did proofread today, I didn’t really take the time to check a couple of my questionable fills, which turned out to be incorrect.

Anyway, I DID see the wheels going round and round (HEY! I too had to watch the kids’ shows with a couple of kids, way back when), but I never noticed the BUS. Therefore, I completely messed up 45A. I also didn’t know 38A, so I had UHNO, instead of UMNO in 32D, and I didn’t make the BOOLA connection.

As Red Forman would have said….

Thanks, Dr. Ed and Lemonade! I really did like this puzzle!

IRRC, ESSE was the first word we learned on the first day of Latin One.

And because I never can remember anything, I always have to correct PARR to PAAR every time we have it.

Red Forman again…!