google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday May 28, 2023 Rose Sloan & Shannon Rapp

Advertisements

May 28, 2023

Sunday May 28, 2023 Rose Sloan & Shannon Rapp

Theme: "Secret Ingredients" - Eight different spice are anagrammed and spanned across two words.

23. Pony car since 1964: FORD MUSTANG. Mustard.

34. Flavor with Oreos: COOKIES AND CREAM. Anise.

52. Association for former classmates: ALUMNI CLUB. Cumin.

58. Genre satirized in "Only Murders in the Building": TRUE CRIME. Turmeric.

72. "Back to the Future" vehicle: TIME MACHINE. Mace.

86. Rom-com mainstay: LOVE SCENE. cloves.

89. Bank job necessity: GETAWAY CAR. Caraway

110. Information often included in a bridal shower invitation: WEDDING REGISTRY. Ginger.

Reveal:

123. Mixes such as garam masala and ras el hanout, and what are found in this puzzle's circles?: SPICE BLENDS.

Not famliar with ras el hanout. Google shows that it's a Morocco spice with salt, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, etc. It's used in tagines, soups, rice dishes, and vegetables.

 


Notice how consistent the theme entries are. All of the key letters span across two words. Some are inspiring finds.

Congrats on your LAT Sunday debut, Rose!

Across:

1. West African capital: ACCRA. Ghana.

6. Page with many views?: OP-ED.

10. Veg out: LOAF.

14. Grads-to-be: SRS.

17. Root beer treats: FLOATS.

19. Apple's counterpart of 3-Down: SIRI. And 3. Microsoft's counterpart of 19-Across: CORTANA. Who still uses Cortana?

20. Sportbacks, e.g.: AUDIS. Not famliar with Sportbacks.


22. Morita of "The Karate Kid": PAT.

25. Game option featuring cutscenes: STORY MODE. We had this fill a few months ago.

27. Jazz legend James: ETTA.

28. Kelly Clarkson's "Since U __ Gone": BEEN.

29. Pilot: STEER.

31. Cellphone giant: NOKIA. Hugely popular in Guangzhou in early 2000s.

32. Green sold in rainbow bunches: CHARD. How do you make it tasty?


37. Language class subject: TENSES.

39. Grabs a chair: SITS.

40. PreCheck org.: TSA.

41. Just: ONLY.

42. Govt. ID issuer: SSA.

43. Comice, e.g.: PEAR.  Wikipedia says it's a "French pear variety first cultivated in the 19th century." 


46. Word with care or aware: SELF.

48. D&D monster with a beak attack: ROC.


50. Some alfresco dates: PICNICS.

61. Get older: AGE.

62. Baggy: LOOSE.

63. Take turns: ROTATE.

64. __ science: DATA.

68. Guys: LADS.

70. Ranch grazer: COW.

71. Thanksgiving side dish: YAMS. Here's some purple yam cake.


76. Dad: PAPA.

77. Altar-ed words?: I DO. Ha.

78. Convoy rig: SEMI.

79. Squirrel's home: TREE.

80. Many a campaign ad: MAILER.

82. Some second-generation Americans: NISEI. Japanese. The first generation is ISSEI. Sei = Generation. Sansei is third. San = Three. Same in Chinese.

84. Egyptian viper: ASP.

92. Passes on, as knowledge: IMPARTS.

93. __ Minella: vest-wearing Muppet chimpanzee: SAL.


94. Crochet need: YARN.

96. Mix: STIR.

97. Gp. for those who putter around a lot?: PGA. Oh I like this new clue.

100. Maumee River endpoint: ERIE.

103. Battery size: AAA.

106. Mama's mama: NANA.

108. Gets to the point?: TAPERS. 121. Long series of romances?: SOAP OPERA. Great clues.

115. Bowling sites: LANES.

116. Kodiak Island resident: ALEUT.

117. Rook kin: RAVEN. I did not know rook is a bird.



118. Soph, probably: TEEN.

120. __-pedi: MANI.

126. "¿Qué __?": Spanish "What's up?": TAL.

127. Mountain nymph: OREAD.

128. Norsk Folkemuseum city: OSLO.

129. Melodious: DULCET.

130. Ones making alterations, for short: EDS. Editors.

131. Sunrise dirección: ESTE.

132. Butter chicken bread: NAAN. Uyghur-style. Lots of Muslims in Xi'an.


133. Some Scots: GAELS.

Down:

1. Has an influence on: AFFECTS.

2. Outfit: CLOTHES.

4. Location tools: RADARS.

5. Bread box?: ATM.

6. Bone-related prefix: OSTEO.

7. Steinways, e.g.: PIANOS.

8. Directional suffix: ERN.

9. Paleontologist's workplace: DIG SITE. Paleontologists study fossils. Sounds old.

10. Permanently removes hair, perhaps: LASES.

11. Devour more than: OUT-EAT.

12. Decks out: ADORNS.

13. Christmas purchase kids know about before Santa comes: FIR.

14. Already claimed, with "for": SPOKEN.

15. Tire type: RADIAL.

16. Like a good romance novel: STEAMY. Her name is Chiung Yao, the most popular romance novelist in Chinese language.



18. Hero: SUB.

21. Lip-__: SYNC.

24. Dry designation: SEC.

26. African country nearest Spain: MOROCCO. Where the ras el hanout is widely used, as I learned today.

30. Inventor Nikola: TESLA.

33. Create an image of: DEPICT.

35. Peck: KISS.

36. "Aw, heck": DARN.

38. Work like a gland: SECRETE.

44. Singer DiFranco: ANI.

45. Canyon edge: RIM.

47. Miami's st.: FLA.

49. Many Monets: OILS.

50. Aloo mutter ingredients: PEAS.

51. Give up: CEDE.

53. Jamaican tangelo brand name: UGLI. Yesterday I brought some lychees for Tom Pepper and Connie. Tom said they "taste like grapes but a lot more work." He can't stand durians.


54. Have in mind: MEAN.

55. Setting: LOCALE.

56. Annual Queens sporting event: US OPEN. Alright: Nick Kyrgios and Iga Świątek.



57. "Watch out!": BEWARE.

58. Having a go: TRYING.

59. Band aide: ROADIE. Good old clue.

60. Of the __ importance: UTMOST.

65. Tsp., e.g.: AMT.

66. Pothole filler: TAR.

67. Star starter: ACE.

69. Flaw: DEMERIT.

73. "Perhaps": I MAY.

74. Catchall file abbr.: MISC.

75. Nautical wheel: HELM.

76. "__ or it didn't happen": PICS.

78. "Dance Moms" dancer JoJo: SIWA. Much older now. But I really like this pic.



81. Starlike: ASTRAL.

83. Softened: EASED UP.

85. Fork over: PAY.

87. Photo __: OPS.

88. Brewery container: VAT.

90. Actor Tudyk: ALAN. He plays Dr. Harry Vanderspeigle in "Resident Alien"


91. Mountain chain: RANGE.

92. Stops along the way: INNS.

95. Sours, as a parade: RAINS ON.

97. Act of contrition: PENANCE.

98. Beowulf foe: GRENDEL.

99. Stockton's NBA record 15,806: ASSISTS. John Stockton.



100. Discarded tech products: E WASTE.

101. Click a circular arrow, say: RE-LOAD.

102. Core values: IDEALS.

104. Thinks the same: AGREES.

105. Turkish mount consisting of two volcanic cones: ARARAT. Did not know this trivia.



107. __ the Hun: ATTILA.

109. Adlon of "Better Things": PAMELA.


111. "__, sing America": Hughes: I TOO.

112. Sidestep: EVADE.

113. Intel job: RECON.

114. "__-haw!": YEE.

119. "Don't worry abt it": NBD.

122. Ante-: PRE.

124. "The More You Know" spot, e.g.: PSA.

125. Tote (around): LUG.

C.C.



 

32 comments:

OwenKL said...

There once was a RAVEN who liked to eat ramen,
A raven who ate ramen was uncommon.
So much so
That ramen dough
Summoned a common ramen lawman!

An OREAD, in Greek myth
On a mountain must be KISSED.
She'll not go down
To a town,
So most men don't know what they've missed!

Subgenius said...

Not bad. The theme was clear from the get go, and I decided most of the anagrams on sight (though one or two eluded me.) Had a little trouble around the area of “Sal” Manila, but got through it. Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

Subgenius said...

That should be “decoded” not “decided.” Stupid autocorrect strikes again!

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Stumbled in the same area as Subgenius. That L in the SAL/ALAN cross was the final fill. Didn't understand PEAR, because d-o misread Comice as Cornice. I'm blaming the font for that. Thanks for the outing, Rose and Shannon, and for explaining it all, C.C.

Looks to be a nice day. Think I'll get out the bicycles for a pedal around the 'hood.

TTP said...


Good morning. Thank you, Rose Sloan and Shannon Rapp, and thank you, C.C.

This crossword soldier suffered one DEMERIT. I don't know how in the world I spelled SSA as SgA.

Of course John Stockton is the all-time NBA ASSISTS leader. He mostly passed the ball to The Mailman, who always delivered. Except when it came to shooting from the charity stripe. The Mailman had a mental block when it came to free throws. So he went to a sports psychologist. After that, Malone could be seen mouthing some words before each free throw. If you read lips, you can look at some old videos. He's reportedly saying, "I'd rather be driving my pickup truck." Whatever, it worked and his make percentage went way up.

The lawn and gardens in this LOCALE are starting to suffer. We normally have 5.49" of rain in May. This year we've had .42 and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing my WAG @ GRENDaL x DULCaT. But I got my WAG @ NISEI x SIWA, so I got that goin' for me. Fix list: autos->AUDIS, can->VAT, etrash->EWASTE, tenets->IDEALS, avoid->EVADE, spy on->RECON, and atilla->ATTILA (UNTIE!).

When I first encountered CORTANA I spent a lot of time figuring out how to disable it. Stoopid talking paper clip.

I say "que pasa" instead of "que TAL."

In my business life, I never failed to be amazed by how many otherwise literate people confuse AFFECTS with effects.

I lived in Canyon Country, CA near Steinway Street. The minimalist in me wished they had just named it Stein Way.

PICS or it didn't happen. Looks like AI is making PICS untrustworthy.

D-O, It's not the font choice, it's kerning. If the powers that be in Blogger would change their CSS to "kerning: none" we wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks to Rose and Shannon for the fun challenge. And thanks to CC for more fun and enlightenment.

ATLGranny said...

A quick report of my FIW error: like Jinx I put an A where DULCET and GRENDEL crossed. But the good news is I rearranged all the spices, including TURMERIC which took a while. And all my WAGs for unknowns were good. Thanks Rose and Shannon. Nice debut, Rose!

And thanks C.C. for today's helpful review. The purple yam cake looks tasty.

Have a sweet Sunday, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Took 15:29 today for me to spice this one up.

I didn't see the spices while solving. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to do a jumble during a crossword puzzle. So, ...
Oh joy, circles.

As usual, I didn't know today's actress(es) (Pamela someone and Siwa) or their show/movie.
I didn't know today's actor (Alan).
I blanked for awhile on Sal, and I didn't know Nisei.

The assist & steals totals listed on the John Stockton image are outdated. Chris Paul is higher on the list for both; LeBron James is 4th in assists (while being 1st in points).

TTP, I respectfully submit that The Mailman delivered so frequently DUE TO Stockton's vision and passing. I consider Stockton to be one of the most underrated greats in sports. He's not just number one in assists and steals, but by wide margins in both.

Regardless of which one you prefer, Stockton and Malone were impossible to stop in the pick and roll.

Monkey said...

Cute theme. Must have been difficult to pull off. I didn’t know ras el hanout but it was easy to figure out it was a sort of SPICE BLEND.

DH and I bought a first year Mustang. It was designated by Ford as a 1964 and a half. I loved that car.

Indeed CC, long series of romances is a neat clue for SOAP OPERA.

I had never heard of CORTANA. At first I had Inuit for ALEUT.

All in all fun puzzle this morning.

KS said...

FIR, but this Sunday puzzle gave me fits, especially in the NE and SW. Got the theme alright but couldn't suss out caraway as a spice for some reason, and I'm usually good at that, doing the Jumble every day in my head. Oh well. I found this Sunday's endeavor harder than normal, but doable

billocohoes said...

Well, I found out laMborgHINi has the same number of letters as TIME MACHINE. Wait, it was a DeLorean, not a Lambo.

Once I found it was LOAF not LOll, the top finally finished the puz for me.

TTP said...

Jinx, I wouldn't think it has anything to do with Blogger. I think Desper-(eight in Italian) does the crossword hardcopy in his local rag "The Barnacle", and others of us do the puzzles online. So the spacing issue must be at the source. Tribune Content Agency ? I don't know.

Anonymous author at 9:19, I didn't intend to throw shade on John Stockton. He's one of my all time favorite players. Karl Malone was a force inside and Stockton always found a way to get the ball to him. They knew each others moves so well. It's like they had some non-verbal communication system. They were the masters of the pick and roll, and were virtually unstoppable as you wrote. I liked Jeff Hornacek on those teams as well. They would have had at least two NBA Championships had it not been for the Chicago Bulls duo of Jordan and Pippen.

Tante Nique, one of my brothers also bought the first year ("64 1/2") Mustang. He totaled it on I-10 near Beaumont within a year and spent a couple months in the hospital. After recovering, he bought a 66 at the start of the new model year.

Monkey said...

TTP@10:21. What a coincidence. When we finally sold the Mustang, the buyer totaled it soon after buying it.

Big Easy said...

After I FIR (not the fill for 12A), I looked over the circles and noticed the spices. As is normal for a Sunday puzzle it had its share of unknowns that were filled by perps and guesses. AUDI, CHARD, SAL-Minella, PICS, TAL, ROC, PAMELA or Better Things, PEAR, NAAN, STORY MODE, ERIE & Maumee, JoJo SIWA or Dance Moms, ALAN or Resident Alien, NBD.

What is NBD?

NOKIA's day of being a phone giant has passed. Anybody still have one?
OUT EAT was filled after changing it from PIG OUT.
Changed DESIGN to DEPICT and that filled the unknown PEAR.
"PICS or it didn't happen"- must be a new saying, never heard it.

Women complain about being used as sex objects in commercials but don't mind those STEAMY LOVE SCENES in the romance novels, SOAP OPERAs, and rom-coms. As always, sex sells- books, movies, and beer.

CORTANA- my new PC might have included it in the Bing search to go along with the AI ChatBot. Whatever its now called it gives an instantaneous boatload of information after I click on the microphone, ten times faster than either Google or Siri on my wife's I-Phone.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-MUSTARD stood out like me at a rap concert and I thought the gimmick must be hot dog condiments on this holiday weekend.
-CORTAN (not Alexis), SIWA and fill for Comice and Aloo mutter showed themselves in
-You may not be STEERING but…
-Alfresco/PICNIC amused me
-Baggy/LOOSE – My weight loss has put some smaller waisted pants back into my wardrobe
-We have none of those blackbirds but the grackles are annoying from March 21 to June 21
-Somebody have a good mnemonic for AFFECT/EFFECT?
-RAINS ON – Not only did the Huskers get beat badly in the ’93 Orange Bowl, rain cancelled the halftime show
-My friend eventually sold his beloved original Mustang after 30 years. He said, “Some fool in Omaha wanted it a lot more than I did!”

desper-otto said...

TTP, I actually wind up doing the Sunday pzls in Across-Lite. The Barnacle gave up on the Sunday LAT in favor of a 2-week-old NYT.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

A lot of folks who bought the early Mustangs didn't realize that they were basically a Fairlane with a sexier body. My first one was a '67 fastback. Looked like the one Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt, except his was a '68 and a GT (390 engine vs non-GT 289).

BE - NBD. Not to be confused with RBFD - Real Big [Fine] Deal.

TTP - Right. I have the problem with reading clues printing from the LAT web site more than any problem on the blog.

CrossEyedDave said...

(Actually google said)

If you need help remembering, think of this mnemonic device: The action is affect, the end result is effect.

Misty said...

Delightful Sunday puzzle, many thanks, Rose and Shannon. And, thanks too, for your always neat commentary, C.C., much appreciated.

Well, it was hard not to think of romance when looking over all the puzzle words. Its STORY MODE gets us planning to drive to a PICNIC on our FORD MUSTANG. Our picnic basked would have a LOAF of NAAN with olive OIL, some YAMs and PEAs and other vegetables with SPICE BLENDS. And for dessert we'd have some COOKIES AND CREAM and a PEAR.

Afterwards we could go to an ALUMNI CLUB and watch a SOAP OPERA on the TV, maybe a STEAMY one with a LOVE SCENE about a couple going to the WEDDING REGISTRY listening to a PIANO playing.
I'd say that would make for a pretty good day.

Have a great Sunday everybody.

unclefred said...

Sundays always take a long time for me because they are bigger, but today I found the CW also had more than Sunday crunch. SIEA SAL ALAN all DNK and all jammed on top of one another. ALEUT or INUIT? Another ??? for me. ¿Que tal? Never heard it, even in heavily Hispanic SOFLO. Always ¿Que pasa? Even with the picture, I’m not quite sure what “Butter chicken bread” is. Anyway, I did get the theme immediately with the first theme clue, which helped to FIR, but it took over an hour. Thanx for the entertainment, RS&SR. And thanx too for the terrific write-up, CC. I’d like to comment more but gotta run.

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk say...

{A, B+}

TTP - what D-O said re: Sunday Puzzle in the Chron (page 1 & 12 ere interesting); that's why I only lurk (I hate solving online) & learn.

NBD == No Big Deal. Not to worry... I didn't take offense / won't take revenge ;-)

Nice outing today, Misty!

HG - In the last 6 months I've dropped 20+ lbs - down to 152, I am. I have no idea why but,.. I am happy with my BP (128/89 102bpm) now.

Cheers, -T

sumdaze said...

I enjoy cooking with a variety of SPICEs so this puzzle was a good fit for me. Thank you, Rose and Shannon! Congrats on your debut, Rose!
FAVs: Page with many views?, Bread box?, Band aide

I struggle with AFFECTS & effects. CED's memory trick is helpful but there are other situations, like when "affected" is an adj. or when "effect" is a verb. My brain tends to go to the one-off situations. That's one reason why I don't do well on T/F tests.

OwenKL@3:31. Thumbs up for the ramen eating RAVEN!

-T@3:40. 20lbs. Woot!!

Thank you for your write-up, C.C. I always look forward to your take on the Sunday puzzles. You asked about chard. I have a fabulous neighbor who brings me herb "bouquets" from his garden. I use his CHARD instead of lettuce in my sandwiches, in stir-frys, and in smoothies. My smoothie this morning had sesame milk, mango, banana, golden berries, carrot, flaxseeds, fresh GINGER, cardamon, TUMERIC, cinnamon, basil, CHARD, and ice.

Grumpy Granny said...

Well, what doya know! Finished in just over two hours ....lightening speed for me! Therefore...it was the "Spice of Life 4 Me!" (Sorry... I'm a really bad punner). I thought that my cupboard had a wide array of spices, but I checked and I can't find any tumeric anywhere. Guess I'll add it to my shopping list. Anyone know what recipes call for turmeric??

Anonymous T said...

Grumpy Granny - a good chili calls for a bit of turmeric.

IIRC [I did! - just LIU], Barack had his favorite chili that included turmeric.

Cheers, -T

sumdaze said...

Irish Miss ~ Hello, I hope you feel up to posting again soon. I miss your astute critiques. Was it you who wrote about "A Man Called Otto"? I finally watched it last night. Such a great story...so many reminders of how we can be good to each other.

Speaking of movies & such...I know several of you were watching Season 3 of "All Creatures Great and Small". I finally had my turn at the library's DVD. I cherish that show. The writing is poignant and tight. The farm scenes feel like a time machine. I agree with all the good stuff said by others earlier.

Grumpy Granny@4:56. I'm happy to hear you had a good day with this puzzle! I put turmeric in lentils, tagines, and smoothies. A little bit goes a long way!

Malodorous Manatee said...

A bit of trouble working through the southwest but that sorted itself out after a while. Thanks for the enjoyable puzzle, Rose and Shannon.

A friend's parent's '65 Mustang was the first car in which I ever "laid rubber" and, boy oh boy did that surprise me. My mom's '63 Corvair had never done that.

Jayce said...

I liked most of this puzzle, and appreciate the blended spices.

When I saw the clue "Some second-generation Americans" I thought, "That would be my great grandfather!" But GERMANS, ITALIANS, CHINESE, and LITHUANIANS didn't fit. SCOTS would have fit. So would have IRISH.

I tried using CORTANA once. It was a failure. Never have used it since.

I love the clues for OP-ED, PICNICS, I DO, PGA, TAPERS, ATM, RAINS ON, and SECRETE.

I feel the clue for DEMERIT is off, because I have always thought a DEMERIT is given as the result of bad (flawed) behavior. And the clue "Ante-" threw me off because of the hyphen; I was looking for Ante-something, not a synonym for "Ante".

Good to read you all.

Charlie Echo said...

Wow, tough one today. Got 'er done, thanks to perps WAGs, and more than a few ESPs. Pretty much what Big Easy said. Nose wrinkle at ETRASH, and I just don't get DEMERIT clued as a "Flaw"
To me, a demerit is more of a punishment.

Jayce said...

OwenKL, I liked your ramen verse.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Greetings, friends. today I discovered I have Covid. Yes, the dreaded one. My niece brought me the test and sure, enough, that's what I have. I awoke feeling unwell so just stayed in bed most of the day. I have been well looked after by Mark I'm happy to say. Of course, I don't even have the energy to try a puzzle. Maybe tomorrow.

I hope you are all faring better.

Anonymous T said...

Oh Lucina...
Covid sucks the life out of you. Take rest and some soup. If you've been vaccinated, it's 2 or 3 days of sleepy/lethargy before the world seems normal again.

DW & I've had it more than 3x (we've had our 3 shots!) and it's debilitating.
//The first time I was down for 3 weeks and DW 10w with "long Covid" until her second poke. It was weird - they (Drs) tested her for lupus and other stuff and then #2 came along and she became healthy as a puppy.

Get well, Love & Cheers, -T

Anonymous said...

How does the effect affect you?