google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday May 29, 2023 Mike Peluso

Advertisements

May 29, 2023

Monday May 29, 2023 Mike Peluso

 

Hello Cornerites and Happy Memorial Day!  
On Memorial Day we remember and honor the men and women
who died while serving in the U.S. military.
It is a day of both celebration and grief.

Today's theme:          A Cool Water Puzzle!
The Sons of the Pioneers recorded Cool Water in 1941.
(Dan is his burro.)

Constructor Mike Peluso gives us four 2-word phrases, each ending with a word that can also be found in FRONT of the word WATER for a different type of WATER.

The 4 themers are:

18 Across. Blended condiment: GARLIC SALT.  SALT WATER

23 Across. Fictional band that uses an umlaut on the "n" in its name: SPINATAP.  TAP WATER
We recently saw this Christopher Guest mockumentary in last Tuesday's puzzle. The joke is that umlauts over consonants are rare, but the bandmembers are not bright enough to match their own artistic airs. Here is a fun article on the American fad for gratuitous umlauts.

49 Across. Like recently harvested produce: FARM FRESH.  FRESH WATER

57 Across. Leavening agent that's also a cleaning product: BAKING SODA.  SODA WATER

The unifier is a grid-spanner on row 8:

39 Across. Oscar-winning Marlon Brando film, or where the last words of 18-, 23-, 49-, and 57-Across can literally be found: ON THE WATERFRONT.  
 "I coulda been a contender".
Rod Steiger and Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront (1954).
The film received 12 Academy Award nominations and won 8, including Best Actor.

If you missed the theme, there is no need to turn on the waterworks. This puzzle has plenty of delightful fill. Let's dive in.

Across:
1. Meghan Trainor's "All About That __": BASS.  
Stand-up BASS player, Esperanza Spalding has won 5 Grammy Awards.
Here, she performs Overjoyed in 2009.

5. Catholic service: MASS.

9. Tossed: THREW.  I hope you did not TITT!

14. West Coast gas brand with ampm convenience stores: ARCO.  Not every ARCO has an ampm, but over 1,100 do. You can find them in CA, OR, WA, NV, AZ, OH, IL, GA, and FL.
The first ampm location opened in Southern California in 1978.
I wonder if that is the station where, one Sunday afternoon, I learned my bank put a hold on my credit card because I was using it while driving from Colorado to California and I had not notified them to expect travel. #LessonsLearned

15. Fatherly nickname: PAPA.

16. Grocery section: AISLE.  
17. Fibber: LIAR.  
This one is for my fellow math geeks.
20. Pinochle plays: MELDS.  MELDS are combinations of cards that add up to different point values. How to Play Pinochle

22. Snowball pile, say: AMMO.  

26. "Rats": DRAT.


30. Portuguese lady: DONA.  
DONA Maria 1, Queen of Portugal
18th century oil, artist unknown
She was the first queen of Portugal, married her uncle, and eventually went mad.
a brief history

31. Honker in a gaggle: GOOSE.  We have many new goslings in our area now. DH took this pic last week at the reflecting pool.
#SwimmingLesson

32. Local source of 49-Across produce, for short: CSA.  Community Supported Agriculture
It is unusual to see self-referential clues pointing at one of the themed clues.

35. Twin of Romulus: REMUS.  The legend of Romulus and REMUS was the inspiration for this (IMHO disturbing) sculpture.  
This Capitoline Wolf replica is in Rome.
38. Tiny bits: IOTAS.

42. Word before pointer or printer: LASER.  I like clues like this one!  

43. Letter embellishment, in typography: SERIF.  
44. Comedian Romano: RAY.  Parade did a cover story on him last month.

45. Neighborhoods: AREAS.

46. Airborne mysteries: UFOS.  

48. Open-handed hit: SLAP.  If you watched How I Met Your Mother, you know about the SLAP bet.

54. Unremarkable: SO SO.  Teen slang:  mid

55. Trial versions of software, e.g.: DEMOS.
In 1979, Weird Al Yankovic recorded his DEMO of My Bologna in a bathroom across the hall from the Cal Poly radio station because he liked the acoustics...and it was free. It was his first official hit.  
This is the teaser trailer for Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022).
Yep, that's Daniel Radcliffe from Harry Potter.
63. Locale: SITE.

64. Regional flora and fauna: BIOTA.  the animal and plant life of a particular region, habitat, or geological period (rhymes with the root of 38A)

65. Give off: EMIT.

66. Smart __: ALEC.  The term came to us from police slang for a criminal who was too smart for his own good, or whose cockiness led to his arrest.

67. Refreshingly cool: CRISP.  Anyone else suddenly craving lettuce?

68. Actress Daly: TYNE.  IMDb page

69. Result of a sting, maybe: WELT.  a ridge or lump raised on the body (as by a blow or allergic reaction)

Down:
1. Salve: BALM.  You can make one out of aloe to put on a welt.

2. Zodiac sign also called the Ram: ARIES.  birthdates Mar. 21 - Apr. 19

3. Spot for implants: SCALP.  Oh, that type of implants!

4. Filthy: SORDID.  SOileD also fit...for a while.

5. Car sticker stat: MPG.  Miles Per Gallon

6. Roadside aid org.: AAA.  
7. Jack who could eat no fat: SPRAT.  
8. "Frida" star Hayek Pinault: SALMA.  
Frida (2002) Official Trailer
9. Food truck snack: TACO.

10. That dude's: HIS.  
11. Cape Town's country: Abbr.: RSA.
12. Right-angled bracket shape: ELL.  
L-Bracket
13. Damp: WET.  an Easter egg???
someone who is not enjoying the bathWATER
19. Little pest: IMP.

21. Noisy sleepers: SNORERS.

24. Once again: ANEW.

25. Tibetan spiritual leaders: LAMAS.

26. Cuckoo clock part: DOOR.  Also, 
I learned from Good Job, Brain! that a book written in 1930 by American writer Mary Roberts Reinhart called The DOOR is generally credited with introducing the trope, “The butler did it.”

27. Windmill part: ROTOR.

28. Yoga pose: ASANA.  Poses are but one of the 8 Limbs of Ashtanga Yoga.  
29. Short-tempered: TESTY.  Perhaps practicing yoga will help.

31. Kathie Lee of morning talk: GIFFORD.

32. Some soft drinks: COLAS.

33. Entangle: SNARL.  to cause to become knotted and intertwined; to make excessively complicated
I took this photo in Ayutthaya, Thailand.
The head of a stone Buddha has become embraced by a SNARL of a bodhi tree's roots.

34. On a cruise: AT SEA.

36. Sport-__: off-road vehicle: UTE.   UTility vehicle

37. Skin rejuvenator: SERUM. If the bottle is small, you know it must be worth the high price.

40. Messy mound: HEAP.  
41. Repeated jazz phrase: RIFF.
for example, Wes Montgomery's Road Song (1968)

47. Two-person playground fixture: SEE-SAW.    The name might have come to us from the French ci-ça, meaning literally, this-that; seemingly attributable to the back-and-forth motion for which a see-saw is known.

49. Weather condition common around the Golden Gate Bridge: FOG.  
San Francisco averages 108 foggy days per year. (I would have guessed more.)
Look for your city here.

50. Profit-and-loss figure: ASSET.  Hmmm... ASSETs generally go on the Balance Sheet but you might find small ASSETs on a P&L Statement.

51. Spacious: ROOMY.

52. Grin: SMILE.  OK  😀

53. Suite spot: HOTEL.  fun clue!

54. Round closer on an infant's onesie: SNAP.

56. Offshoot group: SECT.

57. "Doctor Who" TV network: BBC.  In looking for a pattern to the clueing of British shows and 3-letter fills, my guess is that if it says "airer", we go with PBS; but if it says "network", we go with BBC.

58. Beach ball filler: AIR.

59. Colorful carp: KOI.  Because they swim against the current and overcome great obstacles, KOI, in Japanese culture, symbolize strength, courage, and success through perseverance.
KOI flags are flown to celebrate Children's Day.
60. "__ about time!": IT'S.  Not quite. Two clues remain.

61. Clamor: DIN.

62. Downed: ATE.  as in, "He downed 4 hot dogs, 2 pretzels, and a beer."

Here is today's grid:  
Have a sparkling day, everyone. I look forward to reading your comments!  

41 comments:

Subgenius said...

Sometimes, on a Monday, just to make it more challenging, I’ll try to see how many words I can fill without looking at the clues. Today I was able to do that three or four times, which is about par for a Monday. Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Mike Peluso is a veteran puzzle-setter, so I expected something good. I wasn't disappointed. Couldn't suss the theme, so d-o suspected there might be a reveal that he'd missed. He found it. Imagine that. Today we had both CSA and RSA. (Thanx, Sumdaze for 'splainin' CSA was not the rebel-yell group.) Did the Hokey-Pokey with RIFF because it wasn't working with SCRUB. Oh, it's SCRUB that's not working. D'oh. Thanx, Mike and Sumdaze for a nice start to the holiday.
(That "outlier" cartoon was cute.)

Sumdaze's comment about credit card refusal reminded me that last week my card was rejected at the grocery store for "suspicious activity." I've been using that card at the same store every other week for several years. Later that day I noticed they'd sent me a text about the refusal, and I could have clicked to authorize the charge. Must've missed the "ding" from the phone in my back pocket. Ain't technology grand?

"Dude" immediately evoked The Big Lebowski. -- "the dude abides."

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing half of my double-Natick SORDIn x BASS & nONA. Erased over for ANEW.

Hand up for thinking about that Richmond-based entity for CSA.

TYNE was Cagney. Or Lacy.

FLN: -T, what a piker! I've had 5 Covid 19 shots so far.
Lucina, I would contact a doctor. There are some pretty good treatments like Paxlovid if you start them within 5 days of getting sick. People our age can't take chances with this disease.

Thanks to Mike for the fun, if Wednesday-difficult puzzle. And thanks to Sundaze for the clever review, and for commenting on implants so I didn't have to.

OwenKL said...


Today we do it with a LASER beam,
Removing hair where it shouldn't be seen.
But that wouldn't do
For counting coup,
When a tomahawk would SCALP a bean!

There was a CARP who was shy and coy
Who fell in love with another fish boy.
They were wed at last
By a deep-SEA BASS,
And soon were blessed with a school of KOI !

desper-otto said...

Jinx, I'm guessing Sumdaze was referring to dental implants.

KS said...

FIW. Never heard of CSA, and guessed CGA thinking the G would stand for grocer. Snarl and gnarl both fit in, and I guess I backed the wrong horse.

Anonymous said...

Post from ATLGranny (wrongly placed on Sunday blog)


A nice Monday puzzle from Mike today which I FIR. Plus a theme that worked well. Thanks!

Thanks sumdaze for your excellent review, covering all aspects of the puzzle. I especially liked the cartoon at the end. Sparkling, indeed, like your write-up!

For soft drinks my mind flitted from "sodas" to "cokes" before landing on the general term COLAS, influenced by places I've lived.

Hope everyone stays hydrated today. And get well soon, Lucina!

Anonymous said...

Took 6:15 today for me to ICE this one.

I guess, KS, that I luckily backed the right horse, but I had the same dilemma.
Unluckily, with "garlic_s__" I finished it with "mayo" instead of "salt", but the perp eventually straightened that out.

I originally misspelled one of today's actress as Selma, before Salma.

"Portuguese Lady"?

Happy Memorial Day.

Yellowrocks said...

FIR. My hang up was reading fiber instead of fibber, so I tried lint instead of liar. Finding my error resolved that corner.
I dislike gratuitous umlauts. They are not meant to be style marks, but pronunciation indicators.
I knew we should notify out credit card company when traveling outside the country, but refusing the card when going state to state seems odd. I have been notified twice when my credit card was flagged and told to call the company, which I did immediately. The issue was quickly resolved with no loss. They said I was spending unusual amounts one time. True! Another time, someone was illegally using my card. Always call the company ASAP using the phone number on the card instead of replying or clicking directly.
Today's use of CSA was not Monday friendly. My supermarket and farm market have full word signs for locally grown. Rebel government for CSA might have been better, but, hey, I learned something.
Alan is here for the three day weekend. Three porch picnics. No grilling allowed, but my burgers cooked on the stove top are juicy and delicious.
Dining services here use very little or no garlic, even in scampi. Sacrilege! I bring my own garlic powder or garlic salt.

RosE said...

Good Morning! A nice wake-me-up puzzle this morning. Thanks, Mike. The NW started off with the unknown BASS so I wondered if I was in for it today, but the rest filled smoothly.
Implants could have gone a few different ways but SCALP wasn’t one of them until BASS filled in.
SORDID is another word I haven’t seen in a CW before, and the D in DONA was a WAG. For not speaking another language, the puzzles have certainly expanded my foreign vocabulary, and now Portuguese!
Thanks, sumdaze, for another fun and enlightening recap. Calvin & Hobbs is one of my favorites, and the grocery store selection was a hoot, online shopping all about the lure for one more item.
I liked the puzzle but thought it curious it wasn’t themed or even referenced to the holiday. To those who served our nation and their families, Thank you.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Me too, the “any port in a storm” fill of CSA and SNARL/GNARL was the only holdup.
-CSA – R.E. Lee’s nation is probably not possible to use
-Loved your write-up Renee, esp. outlier (from one math peep to another)!
-We give the GEESE on our course wide berth when they are with their little ones in the spring
-I looked left and right for the sign for the cereal AISLE yesterday. Uh. I was under that sign.
-I had two traumatic events with SEE-SAWS in my misspent UTE
-BTW, no one I know calls any of their vehicles a UTE
-We were at the Lincoln Memorial when my Visa peeps called me. I thanked them!
-Off to hometown cemetery to pay our respects. VFW is having a hard time fielding an honor guard these days as they are all my age or older.

RosE said...

Yellowrocks, I believe CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture) are membership subscriptions where people buy in advance a weekly share of the farm's produce as it is harvested.

ATLGranny said...

Thanks, Anon @ 7:51 AM for catching my error. I just noticed it and was going to fix it when I saw you had posted it for me.

Monkey said...

Lovely CW puzzle and Sumdaze recap. I repeat, I always learn from and enjoy everyone’s exchanges and contributions on this blog.

My only hesitation was CSA. Perps solved that.

My grand niece had to have a SPINAL TAP (without an umlaut) recently and was diagnosed with MS. She’s waiting for the results of more tests to decide what the plan of action will be.

I missed reading about Lucina’s health problem. I Hope she’s getting better.

unclefred said...

Just a tad crunchy for a Monday. For some reason I can never remember whether it is spelled LIAR or LIER. And for implants, BREAST didn’t fit, but MOUTH did. Then I remembered BASS for 1A and the NW started to come together. One W/O SODAS:COLAS. SODAS left me with SSA as the source of farm fresh veggies. And DASER for 42A. That had to be LASER, so it had to be COLAS, leaving me with CSA. Wait, the Confederate States of America is a local source of veggies? I just figured it had to stand for something else but didn’t know what. Thankfully, Sumdaze ‘splained it. Thanx MP, for starting off the week with a nice fresh CW. And thanx too to Sumdaze for the terrific write-up.

Anonymous said...

Just so the constructor knows, an asset is not a p & l figure. It is a balance sheet figure. So the clueing is incorrect.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Didnt need to be an Intelligent Alexander..Nice n easy with Proper Names properly well-known to the smarter than the av-er-age bear. YertAlthough there was "water water everywhere" I didn't see the theme. 💧

Inkover: msp/MPG ("manufacturers suggested [retail] price" usually on the car sticker)

"Rats, rats, thousands of rats". Actually enjoyed the new Nick Cage / Nicholas Hoult horror comedy film "Renfield"

When the TSA agent asks you about your jar of ALOE. DON'T say "BALM" unless you distinctly pronounce the L 😲

"This is SPINAL TAP" was the early forerunner mockumentary of "Best in Show", "A Mighty Wind" and "Waiting for Guffman" and others.

GARLICSALT came from the CSA? (WOS about the...Confederate States of America)

"Cuckoo clock part...tock? 😄...DEMOS, almost put betas

Saber serial number...SORDID
"Home ____ Home" .....SUITE
Off-shoot group that can swing either way.....BISECT
Cohabitator....ROOMY
Busy LAB Tech....TESTY
Works in either direction ....ROTOR

Enjoy Memorial Day....🇺🇸

Charlie Echo said...

A good Monday romp. I also thought trouble was brewing at 1 across, but the rest fell into place nicely for a FIR. Wondered about CSA when it appeared, but I guess that part of history is being re-formated. 1984? Great recap, Sumdaze! Always enjoy some Calvin & Hobbes, and got a chuckle out of the UFO infiltration.

Picard said...

sumdaze Thank you for the wonderful illustrations and links. Especially the SNARL/Buddha, the Weird Al DEMO video, the FOG information and the Outlier/Out Liar cartoon.

Learning moment about the umlaut on SPINAL TAP, which I actually had missed seeing!

Hand up BASS a mystery until it was solved with crosses. FIR.

Here is a panoramic scene from a hike I led yesterday in the FOG.

Here we were a few minutes later in total FOG.

First hike I led in several months due to... issues. I called the hike a "hunt for hidden benches". We found them all, but it involved some serious bush whacking that I probably would not want to repeat.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

D-O, Of course that's what she meant - I'm such a boob3: But I did work with a guy who was undergoing hair implants. Or it may have been transplants. In any case, he had little "x" places all over his scalp. There - I'm glad I made a clean breast of it.

RosE - Today we give thanks to the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. Military. Veterans day is when we pay homage to all who served and are serving.

Big Easy said...

sumdaze & D-otto- just yesterday I had a similar credit card experience with Chase concerning my Microsoft account. my usual charge is $1.99/month for OneDrive but now Microsoft is charging for the previously free Defender firewall, which comes with their Microsoft 365 program. As soon as I charged the $99 I got a text from Chase stating "We declined $109.19 for a charge at Microsoft Store. Was this you?" and they would CLOSE THE CARD and send another. But the text was immediately followed by a text that stated that the charge went through. It took 20 minutes on the phone to get them to reopen the card. The lady said the initial charge was declined because my 'normal' charge was only $1.99. Never mind that I made a single charge of over $1600 three days earlier for all my car insurance. A good reason to have a few credit cards from different banks. Don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

The puzzle? Easy Monday with only CSA as the only unknown. I guess Patti wouldn't allow Confederate States of America or Stars and Bars.

CrossEyedDave said...

Most of the puzzle fell into place easily enough, but the NW corner gave me a workout until i sussed "Balm."

So how do I rate this puzzle?
(Well, if it has Spinal Tap in it, it must be an eleven...)

On the waterfront...
I kinda wish this was not the theme, because that is how I feel.
Daughter #3 texted me this am requesting help with a dishwasher that runs but does not fill with water...

Going through all the easy fixes, hoping I don't have to replace the inlet valve, has me thinking I wish I was someplace else...

no, not there... this is a no water situation...

Oh well,
on this Memorial Day...
( the battle is never over...)

Jinx in Norfolk said...

CED, here's a little diddy about a man who wishes he was someplace other than here. You can listen to it while procrastinating about the dishwasher job.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Nice Monday puzzle to start the week. Thank you Mike.

Fun after-puzzle party starter, sumdaze. Loved the cartoons (NASA not NAPA) and the umlaut article was great.
//Spinal Tap was so densely funny - too bad my kids don't "get" it.

WO: RaMoS
ESP: SALMA, CSA (thanks sumdaze!), TYNE
Fav: I already did SPINAL TAP so, um, HOTEL's clue was cute.

I thought it was SORrID but my MELD held. #learning!
Thankfully, gNARL never came to mind.

{B+, A}

D-O: I was thinking hair-plugs re: implants. Thanks for The Dude clip - I can watch it a 1000x and it never gets old.

TanteNique - oy! My buddy's Mom (and DW's professor friend) had MS. We ride the MS150 to raise money towards research. //I don't ride anymore - just give $$.

Cool pix, Picard.

BigE - when I got hired at #OilCo, I knew I'd have to go everywhere so I got an Amex. Little did I know, it's not really accepted overseas. Good think I had my Citi MC.

Would you bring baby a BALM? [Python]

Has anyone heard of chicken-SALT? I was watching a YouTube thing and they mentioned it. The Ausies on the comments were all "That's not something everyone has?" I Googled it - there's no chicken in the salt(?)

H-G: Yep. Pop is in his 70's and still does Color Guard with the Italian-American Vets. (Army) Bro has no interest in joining the group so...

This morning Pop sent me an article from his scrap book. It's a newspaper clipping of 5 Brothers go to war, all 5 come back... The article is about my Gramps & his four brothers going from meat-packing / bread-making jobs in central IL to far-flung places on the planet in service of WWII. My great-uncles apparently all had desk-jobs while Gramps was anti-aircraft in New Guinea.

Today, remember the others that didn't make it home.

Cheers, -T

Anonymous T said...

Ooops - forgot my link explaining Chicken-Salt [basically GARLIC SALT++].
-T

sumdaze said...

I guess I got lucky that gNARL never occurred to me. CSA was ESP. That's a tricky crossing.

Anonymous@7:54. "ice", very nice!

Tante Nique @ 9:48. I'm sorry to hear the tough news for your family.

Picard@11:26. Looks like you had a good hike despite the fog.

-T@1:53. I had not heard of chicken salt but I have recently seen Sriracha sprinkles and ketchup sprinkles at TJ's. I bought the former for DH. He ended up adding olive oil to it to make a sauce. I'll stick with the liquid option next time.

FLN, Lucina, best wishes on a speedy recovery. Try to eat as many oranges as you can -- full of liquids & vitamins!

Ol' Man Keith said...

Ah, yes: sumdaze brings us Peluso's PZL.

Funny, I never noticed the umlaut in SPINAL TAP. (And I can't make my KB do it.)
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Three diags, near side.
The center line's anagram (13 of 15) speaks to the BIOTA of a certain political creature.
It may be said to refer to the final phase of the campaign of a highly impassioned candidate,
a period we might dub the...

"FIREBRAND TERM"!

Jinx in Norfolk said...

OMK, did CSA evoke Casting Society of America with you? Might be a Hollywood thing. I was reminded today watching the credits for a Perry Mason episode on Family Entertainment TV.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

OMK, Got a halflaut to work: ṅ. As far as I can figure, n with an umlaut is a divide-by-zero condition.

Anonymous T said...

Just got off the horn w/ Pop & he said I could share the article. Gramps and his Bros.
//How Woppy are those names? :-)

Jinx - I get get[Great Entertainment]TV. Rockford Files is too much fun. Walker, TX Ranger is like the worst after-school special ever...

Cheers, -T

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Anon Tony... Great pic and article. Your Dad followed the tradition of naming the first born son after the paternal grandfather.

Handsome group of guys

Thanks for sharing

Ol' Man Keith said...

CSA did look familiar, Jinx, but aside from "Cub Scouts of America" I wouldn't have pinned it down.
Thank you for placing it for me.

In response, I thought to Google it, and now I know the acronym stands for literally HUNDREDS of titles!
OMG!!
~ OMK

Ol' Man Keith said...

As far as I can tell (via IMDB.Com), the umlaut only appears on the poster artwork, probably hand drawn.
Any mention of the title in accompanying text omits the umlaut.
A manual typesetter could likely add a tilde, but perhaps not an umlaut.
~ OMK

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle in spite of not knowing BASS right out of the chute. Smiled that it was immediately followed by MASS. CSA took all 3 perps. Had to change BETAS to DEMOS. Agree that an ASSET is not Profit-and-Loss figure. I especially liked the clue for DOOR. Our son is an ARIES. He is also no longer a SNORER since he lost weight. My wife laughs when I say "DUDE!" She laughs even harder when she tries to say it.

Loved your write-up, sumdaze. For some reason I remember the name Mary Roberts Reinhart, probably because I was impressed by her novel The Bat when I read it in my youth.

I hope you get better soon, Lucina. Good wishes to you all.

Anonymous said...

Tony, I have a Southwest Air Chase Visa (miles), Wells Fargo Visa (2%), Capital One MC (1-3%), , SAMs MC through some bank (5% on gas), AMEX (car rentals and special deals
) and even a Wal Mart MC (5% on groceries). Those are the ones I keep. I've opened and closed cards from banks that offer an extra $200 + percentage just to spend $1-2,000 in a three month span. If they want to give away money I'll be glad to take it. I also set automatic payment through my bank so I never get hit with any interest charge or later fee.

Big Easy from can phone.

sumdaze said...

OMK@4:09. RE: umlaut. When I was doing the write-up, I tried to find a capital N with an umlaut in Word > Insert >Symbol so I could copy & paste it into Blogger. I could not find one for our Georgia font. Next I found one on the internet and copied & pasted that. It looked OK in Edit mode (as long as I did not try to change the font) but when I went to Preview mode, the umlaut would appear right after the N (as opposed to on top of the N). I finally gave up. That speaks to the rarity of an umlaut over a consonant.

-T@4:56. That article is a keeper.

Wilbur Charles said...

Fln,(I get very late start on Sunday). One of the earliest Sport talk hosts in Boston was Guy Manilla. Genre was very popular in Boston

ARARAT of course was where Noah's boat landed

So, D-Otto, what's comice?

My weight loss made the size 38+ obsolete. 45lbs total, people are starting to notice


End of Sunday talk
*****************

We have two geese and one gander. We were getting one or two GOOSE eggs per day but no lay'n lately

In the Vedic astrology signs begin on the 15th. 15-20 places me fe. 10/17 as full Libra
Speaking of Lebowski… John Goodman was a guest on WWDTM*

"Garlic salt", my mission this morning was pickup celery salt
I had to get help from Publix spice pro to find it

Fla pols don't think CSA is dead nor their peeps

Right, Husker, UTE is that long ago time…

RayO, asked for directions in Boston I said "When you get to the f*rk in the road… They drove off fast

-T, there was a movie about the five Sullivan bros from Dorchester that served on the same ship in WWII. Yep, all went down with said ship. Never again said the Navy

BigE, and pay balances with zero interest transfers, eh. I like my Discover offer but I'm tied up on MH purchase

Jinx, I caught the "clean breast of it" re. Transplant

WC

Wilbur Charles said...

* Wait, wait don't tell me on NPR

Monkey said...

A-T@1:32. Thank you for the info on MS.

Anonymous T said...

Tante N. - I follow MS research fairly closely (no, I'm not a Dr) 'cuz buddy's Mom suffered so much near the end. Here's something I came across recently. Not a panacea but... #hope.

WC - You can't just do that w/ out droppin' a. WWDT link [FFW to 20m]

Sumdaze - my rosacea eschews me from hot sauces (well, actually, DW does 'cuz I get ugly) but Youngest loves sriracha. I'll look for the dried stuff she can take w/ her to NYC next week.

@5:45 - There's no way I could do that [Squirrel!!!] -- I get distracted too easily and the card would be forgotten about right after a nap. +1 to you for sticking it to the man.

Cheers, -T

Monkey said...

A-T @ 9:06. Thank you for that link. We live in great times for medical research.