google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, Margaret Hurley & Barbara Lin

Advertisements

May 17, 2023

Wednesday, May 17, 2023, Margaret Hurley & Barbara Lin


THEME: Awesome Sauce! (See 37 D)

16. Super: THE CATS MEOW.

23. Super: OUT OF SIGHT.

51. Super: PEACHY KEEN.

59. Super: CRACKER JACK.

36. "Nicely done!" and an apt description of 16-, 23-, 51-, and 59-Across: THAT WAS COOL. Also an apt description of the reveal, being right in the middle of the grid. (See image at bottom of post.)

Melissa here. The four theme answers are expressions referring to something that is considered outstanding; coined by American cartoonist Thomas A. Dorgan (1877–1929). Dorgan is also responsible for popularizing other well-known slang - see Wikipedia.

Across:

1. Numbered work: OPUS. An opus is a piece of classical music by a particular composer. Opus is usually followed by a number which indicates at what point the piece was written. The abbreviation op. is also used. Beethoven's Piano Sonata in E minor, Opus 90, below.


 5. Gushed (about): RAVED. RAVE is an interesting word that can mean either to enjoy oneself wildly or uninhibitedly, or to talk irrationally in or as if in delirium.

10. Employee badges, for short: IDS. Identifications, or the verb form, identifies.

13. 1953 Alan Ladd Western: SHANE


14. Former "Weekend Today" co-host Hill: ERICA. She left the show in 2016. and is now at CNN.

15. Put to the test: TRY.

18. "Bring It on Home to Me" singer Cooke: SAM. What a great tune, released in 1962. Fun fact: Lou Rawls provided backing vocals.

19. Scolds loudly: YELLS AT. First thing I heard in my head was Ron Weasley's howler, from Harry Potter.

20. Civil rights org. founded by a group that included W.E.B. Du Bois and Ida B. Wells: NAACP. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Formed in 1909.

22. "Legally Blonde" role for Reese: ELLE.


27. Feature of an A-frame roof: SLANT.


29. Genesis drummer Collins: PHIL. After retiring in 2011 due to hearing loss he developed from a viral infection, he retired from performing. He came out of retirement in 2016, did a few more tours, and performed his last show in London in March of 2022.

30. Wheels for the well-heeled: LIMO. A car for the elite is a limousine. Why ‘well-heeled’ means well-to-do.

31. Feng shui force: CHI. Feng Shui 101: What is Chi?

33. North Carolina college town: ELON. Elon University's ranking in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #89. Its tuition and fees are $42,241.

35. The guy for ewe?: RAM. Great clue.

39. Gymnast Mary __ Retton: LOU. Probably many of us here remember her 1984 Olympics floor routine where she got a perfect 10.


41. Rapper who plays Fin Tutuola: ICE-T. On NBC's Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

42. Topeka's st.: KAN. Topeka is a city in the state of Kansas.

43. River of Florence: ARNO. In Italy.


45. "No __ done": HARM.

47. Start of an encrypted web address: HTTPS. When a website uses HTTPS, all communication between the client (such as your web browser) and the server is encrypted, including the URL.

54. Put on the payroll: HIRE.

55. Ish: SORTA. To some extent.

56. Dreamy state: REVERIE. A state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts; a daydream.

58. Wall St. debut: IPO. An initial public offering or stock launch is a public offering in which shares of a company are sold to institutional investors and usually also to retail investors. 

63. Nada: NIL. Used in both Spanish and English, most experts attribute the English use of nada to Ernest Hemingway, who borrowed it from Spanish, in which it means "nothing." The Latin root, nata, means "small, insignificant thing."

64. Arizona governor Hobbs: KATIE.

65. __ well: is a good sign: BODES.

66. Hair product: GEL.

67. Fantastic bargain: STEAL.

68. Toe the line: OBEY. According to Grammarist, the phrase "Toe the line" derives from track-and-field events in which athletes are required to place a foot on a starting line and wait for the signal to go. Race officials used to shout “Toe the line!” where now they shout “On your marks!” Since entering the language, the idiom has developed to mean do what is expected or act according to someone else’s rules or expectations.

Down:

1. "Blast it!": OH HELL.

2. Spanish rice dish: PAELLA.  A classic Spanish dish made with rice, saffron, vegetables, meat and/or seafood cooked and served in one pan.

3. Relax, as fists: UNCLENCH.

4. Sailing settings: SEAS.

5. Regain one's strength: REST UP.

6. Sleeve: ARM. 45 Different Types of Sleeves

7. Go head-to-head: VIE. Compete.

8. Prefix with footprint: ECO. What is your ecological footprint?

9. Occurs to, with "on": DAWNS.

10. Proclamation on some birth announcements: IT'S A GIRL.

11. Old Greek coin: DRACHMA.

12. Runny nose or headache, maybe: SYMPTOM. A physical or mental feature which is regarded as indicating a condition of disease, particularly such a feature that is apparent to the patient.

13. Eye sores: STYES.

17. Chinese philosophical concept: TAO. Tao is the way of acting in accordance with nature. It is a path, a road, a series of habits, a way of living. Chi or qi is a context-sensitive word for “that which makes living things do stuff.”

21. Have a runny nose or headache, maybe: AIL.

24. London's Globe, for one: THEATRE.

25. Liquids that may be herb-infused: OILS.

26. Group of sheep: FLOCK. I learned recently that a group of stingrays is called a fever, and a group of jellyfish is called a smack.

28. Pad __: stir-fried noodle dish: THAI. Stir-fried rice noodle dish commonly served as a street food in Thailand as part of the country's cuisine.


32. Like cheap wool: ITCHY. From The Wool Room: As a general rule, the larger the diameter of the wool strands, the lower the quality and the itchier it will feel. Wool with smaller strands will feel softer. Many wool producers use cheap wool to lower product costs, but cheaper wool with thick fibers is often responsible for itching.

34. Trevor who hosted the "The Daily Show" from 2015 to 2022: NOAH.

36. Sushi option: TUNA ROLL.

37. __ sauce: WEAK. Slang for something inferior, ineffective, or unimpressive. Opposite of awesome sauce.

38. Like some training: ON THE JOB.

39. Expiring, as a subscription: LAPSING. When the term ends without being renewed or canceled, the policy has lapsed.

40. No-bake dessert with a cookie crust: OREO PIE.

44. Halloween mo.: OCT.

46. Former German chancellor Angela: MERKEL. November 2005 to December 2021.

48. Diatribe: TIRADE.

49. Expensive: PRICEY.

50. Goes after: SEEKS.

52. Emmy-winning series starring Jean Smart as a comedian: HACKS. She also played Charlene Frazier Stillfield on the CBS sitcom Designing Women.

53. Born, in Bordeaux: NEE. Originally called; born (used especially in adding a woman's maiden name after her married name). "Mary Toogood, née Johnson."

57. Online marketplace with holiday homes: VRBO.

60. Rodent or snitch: RAT.

61. Picnicked: ATE.

62. Spy org.: CIA. Central Intelligence Agency

Note: The incorrect grid with the wrong answer for 36a posted earlier has been corrected.


45 comments:

OwenKL said...

The dragon's lair Sir Reele braved.
"It's suicide", the townsfolk RAVED!
Once OUT OF SIGHT,
The worthy knight
And dragon played poker, till the lizard caved.

Pythagoras was down to his last DRACHMA,
Couldn't afford a bowl of PAELLA.
Said, "I'll waste away
Without three squares a day."
Hence the Pythagorean theorem -- Voilà!

{A, A.}

Subgenius said...

There were a couple of answers that took ESP, “Hacks” and “VRBO.” Other than that, I didn’t have too much trouble with this puzzle. The themed answers seemed to be weighted to my generation, or even a little before. So it was a very solvable puzzle. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

At some point d-o must've heard of VRBO...with V_BO the R immediately dropped in. Cute theme, even if d-o failed to notice the reveal. Thanx, Margaret, Barbara, and Melissa Bee.

TOPEKA: Loretta Lynn had a big hit with a song titled Here In Topeka. You may remember it as the retitled One's On The Way.

ITCHY: Reminded me of a Sheldon "teachable moment" from TBBT.

Anonymous said...

Took 5:54 today for me to cool things off.

Too many foreign words/names for me today: German chancellor, Thai food, Spanish rice, Bordeaux word, Chinese force (chi), River of Florence, London's theatre, Spanish nothing, and Chinese philosophical concept (tao).

I didn't know today's actress or her show (Hacks).

Anonymous said...

Why is the center of the grid “nicely done” instead of “that was cool”? Call me confused.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW. I considered UNCLiNCH x ELLi, but decided that even my dumb mass could spell CLiNCH. But I set a personal best for knowing the people of the puzzle (collectively called POPs) PHIL, LOU, MERKEL, and, because crosswords only know one rapping actor, ICE T. I knew ECO right away because Patti is our editor.

NIL has a much more important meaning these days - Name, Image, Likeness. The method NCAA athletes use to become millionaires while maintaining their amateur status.

I worked on a computer system that had an ASW bit on its bus - All Seems Well. It was set to 1 if the parity of received data bytes was correct, otherwise 0 indicating a problem.

Somehow I picked up the slang term "spendy" for PRICEY. Golf buddies? Yachties? RVers?

From the comic strip that replaced Dilbert in our local fish wrapper, today I learned that a group of second graders is a "handful."

FLN: -T, the male connector is a "plug" and the female (ironically) is a "jack". If they have two conductors, the end is called the "tip" and the rest is called the (today's crossword clue) "sleeve." If there are three conductors, the ring between the tip and sleeve is called the "ring." The naming convention goes back to the days when all telephone calls were placed by operators through their cord boards. Some systems rename them - IIRC Stromberg Carlson labeled them +, -, and C(ontrol.)

Thanks to melissa b for your usual fun and informative tour through the grid.

KS said...

FIR. A few too many proper names again, but luckily none of them cross. For some reason the top center eluded me till the end. Erica had something to do with that.

Yellowrocks said...

Anon 6:58 I agree. Nicely done seems not to fit the perps. It was was cool does. The perps would be nunaroll, unclence, ITS A GIRE, etc. in the published grid. Please explain.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-I really liked the story of the slang generator in your write-up, Melissa!
-I could use these phrases to describe our first sighting of an oriole yesterday. Boy, do they love grape jelly!
-I’m subbing today on the senior’s last day in school. About 25 years ago, some seniors dumped a FLOCK of chickens in the hallways on their last day.
-YELLS AT: You’ve lost the war if you do this to a student
-Crazy Name Image Likeness money
-I wanted tack for sailing settings. I don’t know if that even makes sense.
-DRACHMA: I suspect there is a perfectly good reason to throw in that “H”
-ON THE JOB: As a UNL sophomore, my grandson is doing phlebotomy Bryan Memorial in Lincoln. This training is giving him a real sense of what his medial career will be like.
-Angela’s message to W, “That is not cool!”
-VRBO: My daughter and her family are getting a house in Malibu for a 5-day vacation in June
-Back to hall duty to check for chickens!

Anonymous said...

I think the “super” clues were old ways of using a cool/hip descriptor… hence.. that WAS cool in its day … kkFlorida

RosE said...

Good Morning! Thanks, Margaret and Barbara, for a lighthearted puzzle with fun clues and fills. And thanks, Melissa, I’ll enjoy a more leisurely stroll through your recap later. First glance shows it’s a good one.

I had one hasty misstep: OUTta -> OUT OF and teas -> OILS.

WEAK sauce. I trusted the perps, but never heard of WEAK sauce. Meh…

WO – another vowel TRYing to spell MERKEL

I love my Merino wool sweater, not ITCHY at all.

I thoroughly enjoy Jean Smart as a versatile actress. I also remember her as an ill-fated Governor in Hawaii 5-0 and a bumbling angel in a Hallmark movie. I don’t subscribe to premium channels, so wasn’t aware of HACKS. Though I did manage to see the full series of the HBO’s SOPRANOS when it trickled down to cable. Would hope more series would do that.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Not a super jump from Tuesday not-so-hard level as we head into the latter part of the week. Theme seems to be expressions of delight from different eras. Mary LOU and PHIL fairly well known but...didn't know PHIL was the drummer, and not just the lead singer. ERICA and KATIE needed perping

Jean Smart is a great actor (actress?).... but after one season I hacked "Hacks" off my binge list. ELON tuition: 42,24 and one dollars ? 😃

"Born in Bordeau" NÉE (only if your une femme, un homme est NÉ)

Tracy Ullman does Angela MERKELs "poker face problem"

Looting a Men's Shop......TIRADE
There ____ non PRICEY stores on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence.....ARNO.
Preferred cologne of Tesla drivers: _____ Musk...ELON

Happy Humpday: one 🐪 or 🐫 ...😄

Yellowrocks said...

PLEASE!!! HOW DOES NICELY DONE fit the perps. In the grid that I see in the expo, the perps do not spell anything. In the expo there is TUNA ROLL, but in the grid, there is an N for nicely. NUNA ROLL?

Monkey said...

COOL puzzle. I have no objections to the foreign words/names since they are rather well known or easy to guess, IMHO.

Many years ago my sister and her husband lived in Hobbs, New Mexico, that is.

MBee I had fun looking at the many different types of sleeves and their colorful names. I remember à Seinfeld épisode when Seinfeld is asked to wear a puffy sleeve shirt, much to his dismay. In that list that kind of sleeve is called a Marmaluke sleeve. THAT’s SO COOL.

Subgenius said...

I, too, wonder about “nicely done.” In the crossword puzzle I did today, the reveal was “that’s cool” and that fits “*tuna roll “ etc. So what the heck is going on??!

desper-otto said...

YR and Sub-G, methinks Melissa Bee had a brainfart. "Nicely Done" [spelled correctly] is in the clue, so it couldn't possibly be the answer. Melissa must've become confused while preparing the visual of the grid for publication.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

C'on, people! MB had a brain fart, that's all. Happens to everyone once in a while, except for me and you. And recently I'm not so sure about you.
Change: NICELEY DONE
To read: THAT WAS COOL

Monkey said...

OKL@3:39. Clever Pythagorean poem.

Subgenius said...

Jinx and D-O: In other words, “anybody can make a mistake, and everybody does, occasionally.” I can dig it. So, Melissa, I’ve got to cut you some slack, I guess. Nobody’s perfect!

waseeley said...

Thank you Margaret, Barbara and Melissa. This puzzle was RIGHT ON THE MONEY and MB's explanations REALLY HIT THE SPOT.

Some favs:

31A CHI. This also describes my oncologist BIL CHI, who exudes this vibe. For all of his brilliance he is the humblest person I know.

64A KATIE. Also a constructor for an upcoming puzzle (but not tomorrow).

1D HELL. SHOCKED, I'm SHOCKED. What would Margaret think?

2D PAELLA. Teri makes a mean PAELLA. I don't mean she's mean, but some of the ingredients might think so.

Cheers,
Bill

Charlie Echo said...

FIR. Some nicely clever clueing, some that caused a nose wrinkle. SORTA, and WEAK were sorta weak (IMHO). As Yellowrocks mentioned yesterday, the obscure trivial people seem to be here to stay, so I guess I have to get used to them. Too bad. They suck some of the enjoyment out of a puzzle. At least there were some NON-trivial folks around today.

Charlie Echo said...

Oh- and thanks, MB, for the "Well heeled" explanation. An interesting learning experience!

Picard said...

VRBO we have seen before, otherwise I never heard of it. Surprised to see HELL. Didn't like cross of unknown proper names HACKS/KATIE. WAG to FIR. Fun theme.

I had a friend at UC Santa Barbara who was a dance major. She was required to take an anatomy class. Her class named their cadaver MARY LOU ROTTEN.

Here is one of my photos at the ARNO River.

Do you think that guy and that sweet lady are together?

From Yesterday:
CanadianEh, TTP, Wilbur Charles Thank you for the kind words about my photo at the RIM of the Meteor CRATER and about Merlie.

By coincidence, our UCSB Physics Colloquium talk yesterday talked about an innovative way to determine the makeup of meteors that might threaten the Earth. Many are a "rubble pile" rather than a single solid object. Important to know if you want to try to deflect one and avoid an epic CRATER!

Lucina said...

Hola!

NICELY DONE Margaret Hurley, Barbara Lin and Melissa B!

I enjoyed the solve with no oddball names or expressions. PEACHEY KEEN! Oooh, that's a blast from the past!

Yes! KATIE Hobbs is our governor.

CSO to my cousin PHIL. If you live in the Sacramento area you might have heard his broadcast.

Our pastor sends us FLOCK Notes once a week.

OREO PIE sounds delicious but I'll never know.

Noted: THEATRE spelled the British way. Canadian Eh will appreciate that, I'm sure.

Have a wonderful day, everyone! I enjoyed your verses, Owen.

CanadianEh! said...

Wonderful Wednesday ( or should I say “Super”?). Thanks for the fun, Margaret and Barbara, and melissa bee (we’ll forgive the Nicely Done).
I FIRed, but not without a few inkblots.

I didn’t remember PHIL and hadn’t parsed REST UP into two words. Alphabet run to get the P.
Mary Ann changed to LOU (forgive this Canadian).
I started with No We’re done before HARM.
Plenty of unknown names, but they perped.

I’m not familiar with the slang WEAK sauce. I was looking for a literal HP, soy etc. LOL
I too was shocked to see OH HELL.

Yes, Lucinda, I loved the British/Canadian spelling for THEATRE.
Another favourite was the clue for RAM.

Picard- that guy looks scary! I hope he is not going to push her into the ARNO!

Wishing you all a great day.

Yellowrocks said...

I didn't see that NICELY DONE repeated the clue. At first I thought it was a mistake, but most mistakes in the write ups are immediately corrected when they are realized. This one stood for hours, so I thought I was missing something.
I have seen Vacation Rental By Owner before. Sometimes when the renter trashes the place we see it in the news. VRBO has become common.
-EAK SAUCE? An ABC run gave me weak sauce. I have seen this idiom in several novels. Dictioanry.com, "noun Slang. something that is weak, inadequate, inferior, etc. (often used attributively): His jokes are mostly weak sauce."
My son and one of my sisters do not like novels. They like only nonfiction. I have learned much from novels, especially because ideas and words I find there lead me to further research. Historical novels have piqued my interest in real history.

sumdaze said...

I had an awesome time solving today's puzzle. I especially liked the added nuance of "WAS" in the reveal to indicate the slang phrases are from the past. Well done, Margaret and Barbara!
FAV: ON THE JOB and clue for RAM.

FLN: Thanks to Wilbur Charles @ 12:03 for "Close the lights". When I read what others said about turning off the lights, I was trying to remember how my French grandmother used to say it. I felt sad that I could not remember. WC saved the day!

Picard. I've been enjoying your photos!

Super review, Melissa! I liked your theme! I also enjoyed the OPUS and other clips. ELLE is a fave, for sure.

Misty said...

Cool Wednesday puzzle, many thanks, Margaret and Barbara, I really enjoyed it. And I always enjoy your commentary, Melissa, thanks for that too.

I think we needed a doctor to urge someone with SYMPTOMS to UN-CLENCH and REST UP and maybe enjoy the day with some CRACKER JACKS, or something even more substantial like TUNA ROLLS, or some THAI food, or some PAELLAs, followed by a dessert of OREO PIE.

None of that stuff is too PRICEY and when done will make you feel PEACHY KEEN and say THAT WAS COOL.

Have a cool day, everybody.

Charlie Echo said...

Yellowrocks @12:23 My parents started me on historical fiction when I was in the 4th grade with the "We Were There" books. These were a series of books written from the viewpoint of teens present at big events in history. Turned me into a life long voracious reader, and a history junkie. To this day, I would much rather sit down with a good novel than watch TV. It does give me a handicap with the A&E clues, though!

Ol' Man Keith said...

A Hurley/Lin XWD, as presented by melissa bee.

A super job!
It seemed super-hard at the start, with all those proper names, but there were enough gimmes to help us latch onto the tough ones. In the end, it was a polite Wednesday pushover.
~ OMK
____________
DR:
One diagonal, far side.
In a reversal of today's "Super" theme, this anagram (14 of 15) recalls a time when Lucifer was still in Paradise, a time when not all angels were "good," much less "Super."
Some of their auras were evil, as revealed by their glowing headgear, for they were the ones in the...

"GHASTLIER HALOS"!

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

As HG and Jinx mentioned; a new/future clue for NIL might be: "Popular 2020's NCAA acronym" (or something like that)

FIR - this puzzle and today's recap were "the bee's knees"

desper-otto said...

Charlie Echo, do you remember the old CBS You Are There historical series with Walter Cronkite? "...a day like any other, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times and You Are There."

Kelly Clark said...


SUPER puzzle! Love the reveal -- THAT *WAS* COOL. As Lucina noted...these phrases are "blasts from the past."

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Margaret & Barbara's puzzle was no walk in the park but doable. Thanks both of yous.

Thanks for the expo with all the interesting links, mb. Nice job!

WOs: THATs AS COOL
ESPs: ERICA, ELLE, ARNO, HACKS
Fav: PHIL Collins. Did you know he collected Alamo / Texas memorabilia and then donated his collection to the Alamo?

{A, A+}

RosE: weak sauce - means something bad/disappointing. Usage: If someone gives you a lame excuse, you can reply "that's some weak sauce."

KS - Top center was last area I filled too.

Nice pic, Picard. Interesting how she's holding her pen.

Tonight, Eldest & I are going to see the Violent Femmes [Blister in the Sun]. It's the 40th anniversary of their first album so they're going to play the whole thing. Should be fun.

Cheers, -T

Charlie Echo said...

D-O @2:24- Yes, that was one of my Sunday highlights, along with "Navy Log", "Silent Service", and of course " Roy Rogers". (But only if there was no Cubs game on channel 9. Dad & Mom had 1st call on what got watched in the days of one TV!)

Big Easy said...

Easy puzzle with only three unknowns filled by perps- ELLE, HACKS, and WEAK.
I've never heard of either weak or awesome sauce.
Fin Tutuola was unknown but ICE T is a regular around here like NOAH- never seen his show either.

THE CAT'S MEOW? Why that's a karaoke bar on Bourbon Street.
OUT OF SIGHT- it's either 'outta sight' or "far out" but not 'out of sight'
PEACHY KEEN- didn't hear that as much as 'hunky dory'
CRACKER JACK- never heard that used except as an overpriced box of caramel covered peanuts&popcorn, and a worthless toy in the box.

VBRO- afew years ago I rented a condo using VBRO on the Redneck Riviera, aka Gulf Shores, AL.

Gary- my grandson graduates from HS Friday and got the summer job coveted by all the boys of my age in the 60s. Bagging groceries and taking them to the cars. $12/hr but he get $19 in tips his first day. Everybody else had to scrounge around mowing grass in the heat if they wanted any cash. Getting over $500/week. He'll start college as a sophomore; been taking dual enrollment classes for the last two years. Plus he has a $50,000 full ride scholarship.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

DO @ 2:24

The "You Are There" episode I remember because it made such an impact on my little brain was the Great Chicago Fire. (just looked it up, aired when I was 5 in 1955)

Jayce said...

Some really good fun stuff in this puzzle today, and only a coupla nose wrinklers. I have a hard time likening a sleeve to an ARM because one's ARM goes inside the sleeve and is surrounded by it. I suppose, by holding my nose, I can envision the sleeves on a shirt or blouse being "arms" in the sense that pants have "legs." Still...

So, it was not ANITA Hill, it was ERICA Hill.

I've always liked PHIL Collins' voice.

I loved your write-up, melissa bee, and learned from it.

I totally hate and reject spelling CHI as "qi." The Pin-yin system (using the Roman alphabet to spell Chinese words) is fatally flawed and demonstrates that its inventor(s) knew absolutely nothing of phonemics or phonetics. Nowhere else in the world is the letter "i" used to represent the "r" sound in addition to the "ee" sound, or, for that matter, is the letter "q" used to represent the "ch" sound. I could write a whole white-paper on how awful the Pin-yin system is and why.

I shall end my TIRADE and wish you all a good day.

P.S. Picard, I love your photos. The one of the Meteor Crater in Arizona was well-shot and brings back fond memories of when my wife and I took our grandchildren there about 20 years ago. We also enjoyed Sunset Crater National Monument just outside Flagstaff.

Picard said...

CanadianEh, sumdaze, AnonT, Jayce Thank you for the kind, amusing and educational comments about my CRATER RIM and ARNO photos!

Glad you agree that the guy next to the sweet lady on the ARNO bridge looks a bit scary! Yes, it is most interesting how she is holding the book and pen. She is left handed. I think it is a challenge for left handed people to write without smearing the ink. That is probably what is going on.

Jayce Learning moment about Sunset Crater National Monument. That is a volcanic CRATER. I have photos of some of those, too. Perhaps another time!

Hand up I had ANITA HILL. Never heard of ERICA HILL. Learning moment about the Pin-yin system.

Melissa Bee Sad learning moment about PHIL Collins. I had no idea he suffered hearing damage. The clue was very odd. He may be a drummer, but that is not what he is most famous for. I love his music.

Lucina My parents lived in Sacramento for decades. I am not aware of a radio host named PHIL there. What is his full name? Is he still on the air?

melissa bee said...

hi all, sorry about the theme weirdness - i didn't get to the comments section until just now to see the confused comments.

across lite showed the clue and answer for 36a exactly as i posted - i never even noticed that the answer was contained in the clue. d'oh!

i don't get a printed newspaper - was it different there?

Theme Curious said...

"i never even noticed that the answer was contained in the clue. d'oh!"

Now I am completely confused. Can someone patiently explain the theme? Is there some layer that is not obvious?

Right now the full grid is still showing an incorrect answer for 36-A.

melissa bee said...

me again! i'm still not sure what happened, across lite told me it was all filled in correctly and i didn't notice the mistake or question the TADA. i did still have the across lite puzzle up and corrected 36a, and it again told me all the answers were correct. seems like across lite and i both had a glitch :-/.

grid has been corrected in the post - sorry everyone, thanks for your comments.

Yellowrocks said...

Yes, to a seamstress the arm of a shirt has the same logic and formation as the leg of a pair of pants. And toddlers' PJs have feet, and gloves have fingers. Isn't language fun!!
Humble brag, once I was told I was a cracker jack committee chair. A person is a chair? Yes, our language is illogical.

Lucina said...

Picard:
My cousin's name is Phil Sandoval and I was told he hosted a show about family values though I have no idea if he is still on the air. I have never heard it myself.

Wilbur Charles said...

Just read write-up and comments. Nothing to add. I just did sticky Thursday. Maybe it was me

WC

Fln, Sumdaze, yes I did still remember tge odd French phrasing "Close the lights". Not sure if "Turn on(the lights) is OUVREZ