google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, May 19, 2023, Alexander Liebeskind

Advertisements

May 19, 2023

Friday, May 19, 2023, Alexander Liebeskind

Theme: "Double Entendre"

Sub-theme: "Are you trying to be a "Y's" guy??!"

Puzzling thoughts:

I thought the name Alexander Liebeskind looked familiar. This same blogger wrote his recap on the LAT Crossword Corner on Friday, October 21, 2022, just 7 short months ago

"Y" did I get Mr. Liebeskind again, you ask? Coincidence? Perhaps to be a bit more jocular than I was on that blog? (I was in the throws of moving, if you recall) ... I actually like that I am getting another stab at young Alexander, so let's see what I can conjure up ...

17-across. Building a fire without any charcoal or lighter fluid?: STICK(Y) SITUATION. Right off the bat, Alexander knocks one out of the park, achieving his double entendre with both STICK/STICKY being the correct adjective for SITUATION. Think about it ... no charcoal or lighter fluid to use to build a fire? Rub two STICKS together. But regardless, it creates a STICKY SITUATION for sure

Speaking of a STICKY SITUATION:

23-across. Mountain of comfy shoes?: SLIPPER(Y) SLOPE. Another winner! While I can't imagine, nor picture a mountain of SLIPPERS, a SLOPE of SLIPPERS would be quite SLIPPERY. This could almost be a triple entendre!

37-across. Artichokes eaten first thing in the morning?: HEART(Y) BREAKFAST. Maybe a bit of a stretch here, but when you have 5 "themers" in a crossword puzzle, there needs to be one "outlier". I never think of an artichoke HEART being HEARTY; nor do I consider it a BREAKFAST food, but I can't think of another "HEART" that would fit

Maybe this needs a Moe-ku:

Teen sleuths Frank and Joe
Eat artichokes each morning.
(Their) "HEARTY" Boys BREAKFAST

[boo!]

48-across. "Should this potted plant go in the dining room window or the bedroom window?," e.g.: SILL(Y) QUESTION!

[I threw in the exclamation point for added effect]

Of course a potted plant would go in the dining room window! On the SILL, naturally. What a SILLY QUESTION!

And last, but not least, 58-across. Relinquishing one's noble title?: EARL(Y) RETIREMENT. Technically speaking, an EARL cannot RETIRE; but they can be removed. After opening the link, scroll down a paragraph or two for the explanation

Well done, Alexander! If I may be so bold, I will summarize today's theme with the following Moe-ku (which starts out as a Moe-CLUE):

Likelihood of an
Eel solving today's puzzle?
Just a SLIM(Y) CHANCE

The grid:

Across:
1. College-level HS English course: AP LIT. Confession: I was never into reading novels and the like; nor was I a particularly good HS English student

6. __ and drop: DRAG. Could it have been clued: Favorite MS Word editing feature for a transvestite?

10. Party loot: SWAG. Rhymes with DRAG

14. Place for a bench warmer?: SAUNA. I like this clue. Lots of benches in a SAUNA. See for yourself!

15. Bag: EARN. Does the Thesaurussaurus like this synonym?

16. Melodramatic sigh: AH, ME.

20. Brain wave readout, for short: EEG. [electoencephologram] "An EEG is a test that detects abnormalities in your brain waves, or in the electrical activity of your brain. During the procedure, electrodes consisting of small metal discs with thin wires are pasted onto your scalp. The electrodes detect tiny electrical charges that result from the activity of your brain cells" [Johns Hopkins website]

I am pretty sure, without taking one, that there are abnormalities in MY brain!! ;^)

21. Not bumpy: EVEN.

22. Hindu spiritual writing: SUTRA. Part of the KAMASUTRA. KAMA = kinky, weird, acrobatic sexual positions; SUTRA = weirdly wanting to write about them! ;^)

27. Only cardinal direction not in a state name: EAST. Of course, we have NORTH and SOUTH CAROLINA/DAKOTA and WEST VIRGINIA, but no EAST anything ... unless EAST JABIP counts!

Fun Fact: Oddly many college/university names DO contain this word; e.g, EAST CAROLINA, EAST TENNESSEE ST, EAST TEXAS ST; while others (IL, KY, MI, NM, OR, & WA) use the word "EASTERN"

28. Big lug: OAF.

29. Dirty word?: MUD. You knew this wasn't a cuss word, 'cause it didn't have 4-letters

32. Mesopotamian region where cuneiform was invented: SUMER. [Wikipedia] "Sumer is the earliest known civilization in the historical region of southern Mesopotamia, emerging during the Chalcolithic and early Bronze Ages between the sixth and fifth millennium BC"

Moe-ku #3:

The season, and where
Cuniform was invented?
"Summer, in SUMER"

35. Missay, say: ERR. No one ever says, "To missay is human ... "

36. Prefix with dynamic: AERO.

41. Potato spots: EYES.

42. Dawn goddess: EOS. Could've been clued with two other familiar objects; here are all three

43. Specks: IOTAS.

44. Gesture-based communication syst.: ASL.

45. Ancient: OLD.

46. Designer Gucci: ALDO. [wikipedia] "ALDO Gucci was an Italian personality and the chairman of Gucci from 1953 to 1986. He was the eldest son of Guccio Gucci, who founded the company bearing the family name in 1921"

54. Many, casually: LOTSA.

56. "High Drama" singer Lambert: ADAM. "High Drama" is the album name; here is a video from KCAL TV in LA

57. Premier __: French wine designation: CRU. CRU literally means "growth". Premier CRU = "first growth", and usually means that the specific wine comes from a superior part of the region. There is a "level above" Premier CRU called "Grand CRU". To be called a GRAND CRU, the grapes are typically grown in a specific vineyard in a specific village within a region. Examples of this are in Chablis. FYI, Chablis is NOT a grape varietal; it's a region. The primary grape grown in Chablis is Chardonnay. Here is a list of both Premier and Grand CRUS in Chablis

62. Oxford, but not Cambridge: SHOE. Nice clue misdirection

63. Quod __ demonstrandum: ERAT. Also seen abbreviated in crossword puzzles as "QED"; and while we are at it, here is (12-down. Omnia vincit __:) AMOR, but I can't recall this being abbreviated as "OVA". EGGSactly, Moe!

64. Hilarious: A RIOT. I hope a few of you think that the Chairman is A RIOT (sometimes!!)

65. Basic math homework: SUMS. Hmm. Not a clue I'd use for this but I guess it works. YMMV

66. Autos: CARS.

67. Full of fluff: LINTY. Moe-ku #4:

1930's dance
Popular in laundromats
Is "The LINTY Hop"

Down:
1. Pack animals: ASSES. This word, in both its singular and now plural form, has been showing up a lot, lately in LAT puzzles. Coincidence?

2. "Lion" Oscar nominee Dev: PATEL. He was featured in a recent crossword puzzle here that used a Picture in a Picture theme; "SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE" (with "LION" in circles), e.g.

3. "Super Mario" brother: LUIGI.

4. Fortune rival: INC. As in the magazine, "Fortune"

5. Share: TAKE PART.

6. Antarctica, for one: DESERT. Fun Fact: even though the word "DESERT" is thought of by this meaning: "a dry, barren area of land, especially one covered with sand, that is characteristically desolate, waterless, and without vegetation", the same definition applies to Antarctica (minus the sand)

7. Unlike a 6-Down: RAINY.

8. Quilting, e.g.: ART. Never thought of quilting as an ART, but why not?

9. Serengeti grazer: GNU. Moe-ku #5 (oldie, but a goodie):

Headline in the ORLANDO SENTINEL:

"Disney World built some
Imitation antelopes"
You think that's fake GNUs?

10. Broke out of a slump?: SAT UP. If this clue were a baseball reference, I am not sure that there are any five letter words/phrases that fit; cute clue

11. Poultry choice: WHITE MEAT. Not I; I am a thigh and leg man

13. Actress Rowlands: GENA. Actress Davis spells her's, GEENA

18. Part of YSL: YVES.

19. Starting on: AS OF. AS OF the first week of June, the Chairman will be on sabbatical

24. Equals: PEERS. As in the "EARL(s)" of the EARL(Y) RETIREMENT entry in today's puzzle

25. Like some subjects: SORE. Moe-ku #6 (double entendre):

British Count hurt leg
And can't kneel before the King;
Very SORE subject ...

26. "The Practice" actress __ Flynn Boyle: LARA. "The Practice" is an erstwhile TV Drama which aired on ABC. I never watched it. Here is Ms. Boyle (1997 pic):

30. __ Minor: URSA. Please bear with me; just a few more to parse for you ...

31. Colon units: DOTS. Neither RECTUM nor APPENDIX fit ... oh ... THIS colon ":"

32. __ butter: SHEA. The favorite spread of the NY Mets; formerly

33. One-eighties: UEYS. Is it UEYS or UIES? I've seen both ...

34. Violent vortex: MAELSTROM. Moe-ku #7:

"Black Friday" event
Caused turbulence. It was called:
"MAELSTROM at Nordstrom's"

35. Triage ctrs.: ERS.

36. In the offing: AFOOT. Why do podiatrist's and shoe salesmen make great detectives? They always know when something is AFOOT

38. Give a shout-out?: YELL. THOSE OF YOU WHO FOLLOW SOCIAL MEDIA KNOW THAT WHEN YOU USE ALL CAP'S IN A TEXT MESSAGE OR EMAIL, YOU'RE YELLing

39. Word with surf or shop: BODY. "Gin a BODY meets a BODY ... "

40. Restaurant offering that may have an age limit: KID'S MEAL. I think that the so-called "age limit" for these should be further defined to include those of us "septuagenarians and older" who can no longer eat such big portions ... the toy can be made optional ...

45. Skin care brand: OLAY.

46. Open-book exams?: AUDITS. Like this clue a lot

47. Prolific TV producer Norman: LEAR. [wikipedia] "Norman Milton LEAR is an American producer and screenwriter, who has produced, written, created, or developed over 100 shows. Lear is known for many popular 1970s sitcoms, including the multi-award winning All in the Family as well as Maude, Sanford and Son, One Day at a Time, The Jeffersons, and Good Times." As of the date I wrote this blog, LEAR is alive and kicking at age 100

49. Caribbean spots: ISLES.

50. 2022 FIFA World Cup host: QATAR. Time Magazine article regarding QATAR/World Cup 2022

51. Strand during a ski trip, say: ICE IN. I guess if this happens, "apres ski" begins sooner? MalMan care to discuss?? (52-down. " ... never mind, then":) OR NOT?

53. Like brown butter: NUTTY. [according to Food Network dot com]: "Brown butter, also known as buerre noisette in French, is made by heating butter until the milk solids caramelize, imparting a golden color and toasted, NUTTY flavor. The French technique is an easy way to ramp up the flavor of regular butter without adding any extra ingredients"

54. Minus: LESS. I guess this clue is OK; more or less

55. Diamond Head locale: OAHU.

59. __ center: REC. Our local REC center is supported by Silver Sneakers - great place to work out

60. Stretch of history: ERA.

61. Sports doc's scan: MRI.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and comments below. Maybe the constructor will catch word of this blog and stop by to say "hello" ...

47 comments:

Subgenius said...

As our esteemed moderator, Chairman Moe, predicted yesterday, today’s puzzle was pretty easy for a Friday. For one thing, the theme was evident from the get-go. For another, all the theme answers were common phrases. Also the proper names (of which there were blessedly few in this puzzle) were less obscure than usual. Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

Subgenius said...

By the way, has anyone heard from Irish Miss recently? She hasn’t been around for a few days. I hope she’s okay. I miss her witty comments!

Wilbur Charles said...

C-Moe, I was trying to cone up with a "Y" title. Bravo

AERO removed Asia(Minor)and allowed that corner to fill

Dnk ALDI,ADAM,LARA… But knew Dev PATEL and LUIGI, GENA, WLEAR

CRU was solid and I immediately thought of C-Moe. I needed it because NUTTY,etc were slow coming. ICE IN was a V8

I was only 11 when I read about Balaam and though the donkey was talking out of his ass

Re. 10D: If it were present tense(break) HOMER would work

YVES was a fortunate solid

I messed up "Open book exams" by inking 'easy A's' and inking epi/REC on Center

WC

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Definitely unFridayish, but fun. The themers were very clever, and the vertical 8s and 9s were very nice. Well done, Alexander and C-Moe.

EOS -- It's a good thing C-Moe doesn't live in Florida. He posted that painting of the dawn goddess where young, impressionable minds could be polluted with it. :7)

EEG -- Very good Nova episode this week about the brain -- consciousness, in particular. It appears to be a mini-series; the next episode will also be about the brain. It's worth catching on your local PBS outlet.

Anonymous said...

Took 8:20 todaY.

For the open book exams, I confidently entered "audios" before changing to "audits".

A couple Latin words, a French word, a couple designers names, etc. made it less fun for me.

I enjoyed the Antarctica clue. I've stumped a few people with that over the years. Sauna was clever too.

I hope Ms. Irish Miss is ok, and that we didn't do anything to make her give us the silent treatment.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased gina for GENA and uiys for UEYS. Waited for lotta/LOTSA and leer/LEAR.

Good thing for this puzzle that the states of East and West Germany have unified.

I was probably the last person my age to learn that "your name is MUD" comes from Dr. MUDd, who was jailed for treating John Wilkes Booth's broken leg after Booth killed Lincoln.

The only "singer Lambert" I know is Miranda.

I remember old-timey references to "doing his sums" for practicing math. YR can probably fill in my meager memory.

My former BIL spent a couple of stints in ANTARCTICA as a research scientist.

I eat brown butter all the time. Mostly Jif, but sometimes a house brand. Crunchy is better than smooth. Either way it is NUTTY. Never tried the stuff Moe wrote about.

Thanks to our Chairman for the fun.

billocohoes said...

Wasn't sure of -STROM or -STORM with MAEL.

Otherwise, a laurel and HEARTY handshake to the constructor and reviewer. (Blazing Saddles)

KS said...

FIR. I'm not sure I like Antarctica described as a desert since it has plenty of water, albeit frozen. The theme was clever and I have to admit I didn't see the answers without the "y" till I got here. But for a Friday CW, it was enjoyable.

ATLGranny said...

After traveling, I'm back to my puzzle routine with a satisfying FIR today. The themers were quite helpful once I saw what was happening early on. Handy perps corrected a few entries and helped with unknowns. Well done, Alexander. Thanks! I look forward to your next puzzle.

And thanks, C Moe, for the review which was humorous and informative as usual. I think you are A RIOT! I wondered what you would do with MAELSTROM, my favorite word today, and you didn't disappoint me.

TGIF and have a good day, everyone!

Big Easy said...

A SILLY QUESTION- Y did I have trouble starting the puzzle slowly and then manage to finish in about 10 minutes? It opened up when ERT was filled by perps for DESERT.

Filling SHEA and MAELSTROM (those Norse can't spell "storm") let me fill SUMER because I'd never seen it before. I almost filled GUMER because I'd filled ESL before ASL and filled GHEE instead of SHEA butter.
Omnia vincit AMOR- that you perps. Ditto for LARA.

Jinx- about your version of brown butter. I always buy crunchy.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

BE - Shows you are a man of character

Lucina said...

Hola!

Thank you, Alexander Liebeskind, for today's fun fest! And thank you, Chairman Moe, for continuing the RIOT. Most of the puns were groan-worthy.

Believe me, Antarctica is far from my idea of a DESERT!

WHITE MEAT is not my preference. Dark meat is juicier and more tasty, IMO.

Time for me to return to bed. More later.

Wishing everyone a beautiful day!

Yellowrocks said...

I loved the theme and filled the theme answers easily, making plenty of perps. Not difficult for a Friday. ALDO, ADAM, LARA were perped.
Jinx, yes, I have assigned sums as homework many times. What we used to call carrying is now called regrouping. I don't agree that doing 25 sums for homework is better than doing ten or so. It only makes the kids hate math.
Many PATELs here. Some say it is the most common last name in the US for people from India.
I agree that we seniors should be allowed KID'S MEALS without the toys. Fortunately, most places here allow us to split a meal and provide an extra plate.
I liked seeing cru. It is American English and is well known by oenophiles (wine lovers). here.
"Antarctica is a desert due to its low rainfall. Rainfall (or, strictly speaking, precipitation, which includes snow, mist and fog) is the main factor in defining a desert. Because very little rain falls in Antarctica, the continent can be considered to be a desert." Not only is there huge amounts of water frozen in the ice, but recently scientists have found a huge underground water system there. However, the lack of rain an snow still qualifies it as a desert.

Sandyanon said...

FLN:
Lucina, I actually don't think of Mayim Bialik as being insincere on Jeopardy, but rather as quite scripted. She's clearly not as much at ease as Ken Jennings, which is understandable -- he's been involved with game shows for 20 years,beginning with Jeopardy, while for her this environment is a much newer experience. I'm thinking she approaches it as an actress, i.e., planning and practicing, rather than being spontaneous.

Anyway, I do prefer Ken, because when he's relaxed, the contestants, and the audience, can also be more relaxed.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Speaking of “Y” words, we played through the SMOKEY SCREEN provided by the Canadian wildfires yesterday.
-Failure to do my vacuuming today would result in my name being changed to MUD
-Are you old enough to remember a very early TV show with a character named Ichabod MUDD?
-Great skiers assume a very AERODYNAMIC posture for speed
-Kids use their iPhones these days to do SUMS as well as inverse trig values and logarithms
-I have heard of a lot of Indian natives with surnames of PATEL but I found out it is only #19 in India.
-We order our WHITE MEAT off the KIDS MENU at Raising Canes because their other portions are too big.
-URSA Minor contains Polaris which is the only star that stays in the same place all night when you live north of the equator
-The MALESTROM was a “thrill” ride when it opened at EPCOT in the Norway Pavilion in 1988 even though it only had a fairly mild water slide at the end.
-I always gave open-note exams so I could separate those who, for example, actually understood Newton’s Laws from those who could only memorize them.
-LEAR’s All In The Family made America look some uncomfortable ideas right in the face

CrossEyedDave said...

Just last night watching Jeopardy, DW & I discussed the same subject, because, I said, "I hate when she does that!"

I enjoy Mayim Bialik. I think she's an excellent Actress! (As opposed to actor... I think the word "actress" is an honorable title, and I don't know why the PC community decided otherwise...) the only nit I ever had, and it is a personal one, is that she hesitates when responding to wrong or right questions/answers. I give my response, and that teeny, tiny pause makes me think, she's giving me time to correct my answer/question, because it's wrong. "And then" she says "that's correct." Once in a while is dramatic, but every time gets annoying...

CrossEyedDave said...

For me, this was a difficult Suss. I started at the top, was getting nowhere, took a break, worked my way to the bottom and then worked my way up again. Filling in a perp or two, here, there and everywhere. One by one, two by two, all in all a very satisfying sussfest!

Thank you Chairman Moe for splainin' , without you I would never have seen how witty this really was. I never saw the "sill" in "silly."
(And to think, for years I told the dumb joke, "what's brown and sticky?")

Speaking of sticky, I'm sure you all know about rubbing two sticks together to start a fire, or better yet using a bow drill. But have you ever seen a fire started with ashes? Yes, using ashes for friction! Start with something easy like cotton fluff and ashes, and work your way up to natural tinders. here is how it is done...

HG! You beat me to it! Yes, Maelstrom reminded me of the EPCOT ride!
Unfortunately the last time I visited, it had been replaced with a different ride.
here's a trip down memory lane...
(Or should I say, down the old log flume...)

Charlie Echo said...

What SubG said. Not the hardest Friday effort, and the themers were friendly and perp-rich. I hated math as a kid, and did the least I could to graduate. It wasn't until I began to study for the private pilot written exam that it all started making sense. JINX...I have no character- I take my brown butter smooth and creamy!

waseeley said...

Thank you Alexander for a Tuesday walk-in-the park! AH ME, it's Friday? You coulda' fooled me.

And thank you for the theme explication MOE and the subtitle. But the one thing I learned from my 8th Grade science teacher Mr. Goedeke (RIP) was that WHYYYYYYY? is an unscientific question. Too teleological I think. And thanks for all the KUS.

A few favs:

17A STICK Y SITUATION. As an ole' BSer, I'm a FLINT and STEEL man myself. Works great if you have the right tinder (and some FLINT and STEEL). Of course nothing beats 1 MATCH, if you LAY the fire correctly. You do have to watch 'em though. They can get quite HOT.

14A SAUNA. What's a HE doing in a what is obviously a women's SPA?

20A EEG. The only test I've avoided so far. I'm afraid they won't find anything.

22A SUTRA. Vidwan would tie you up for this one MOE. BTW does anyone know what's become of Vidwan? I miss him. And he was the only one on the Corner wordier than me.

37A HEART Y BREAKFAST. I've had my HEART tested quite a bit. As for the MOEKU, Double BOO!

42A EOS. Nice blings MOE! 😁

64A A RIOT. Yer' a RIOT. You ought to BE on the STAGE MOE. I think one's leaving town in 10 minutes. BE on it!

39D BODY. You never know what you'll CATCH when yer COMIN' thru the RYE.

Cheers,
Bill

Picard said...

Enjoyed this very creative theme that must have been a challenge to construct. Had FEET for COLON UNITS. Anyone else?

This Solstice ensemble with MUD people and Easter Island figures is one of the most memorable Solstice scenes in our local history.

From Yesterday:
sumdaze Good to know you also had THAT GIRL before THAT'S HER.

AnonT Thanks for looking at my OIL AND WATER image. I don't know exactly what it was. But I just ordered her book from a used book seller. Apparently her book was such a success it quickly sold out. But the publisher refused to do a new edition!

inanehiker said...

Enjoyed the creative theme by Alexander - lot of smiles here!

Disney World often updates rides to what's current for them: MAELSTROM - which was the only action flume ride in the World Showcase at EPCOT - has now become a ride highlighting the "Frozen" movie which is set in some vague imaginary Scandinavian place- so still appropriate to be in the Norway section. Similarly "Splash Mountain" in the Magic Kingdom has changed from the definitely unPC "Song of the South" theme to "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" from "The Princess and the Frog" both are set in swampy areas - but the characters are changed and the music is more NOLA jazz than the prior "Zip-Ah-Dee- Doo-Dah"

You can order a no toy KIDS MEAL at McDonalds or you can order an All American meal which is like it but with a larger drink. If I order the kids meal - I just collect the toys to take to kids on my mission trips.

Thanks CM for the fun blog!

unclefred said...

Hurray!! A Friday CW I can actually FIR in reasonable time! AND see the theme early. Not too many names, either. Only W/O KIDSMENU:KIDSMEAL. I wanted to write URSA but also wanted HEMO, the two of them didn’t work: AFOOT to the rescue, V-8ing AERO. SAUNA was clever. DNK SUMER, all perps. Overall, a great CW, nice theme, clever clues, and names that could be perped. Thanx AL. C-Moe, you never disappoint with your outstanding write-ups, thanx for all your time and effort. Did anyone watch the Florida Panthers game last night? Ended in 2-2 tie. First OT ended in 2-2 tie after a Panther’s goal was disallowed, so still 2-2. Second OT ended still 2-2. Third Or: 2-2. Fourth OT, Panthers scored with 12 seconds left on the clock, winning the game 3-2. By that time it was close to two AM EDT. What an exhausting game for both teams. Congrats Florida Panthers. BTW, yes to what D-O posted about showing EOS. Better not come to FL, C-Moe, you might get arrested. 😟

Lucina said...

Yes. It makes sense that Mayim Bialik is a trained actress (I prefer that, too) and I still like her. Women always have to try twice as hard to be accepted in what has normally been a male dominated role.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All:

I broke this puzzle open in the south with EARLY fill. The north, however, seemed to take forever (Hi CED!) while on a 2 hour conf-call w/ Boss-Man catching him up on the week (he was out for a conference) but I finally(!) got it.

Thanks Alexander for the whimsy. LOTSA fun. I loved the theme.

C. Moe - nice job on the writeup and I enjoyed the Moe Kus (LOL fake GNUs) and knew you'd clue us in on CRU.

WOs: caLL -> YELL, epi -> REC (Hi WC!), cORE subject -> SORE
ESPs: did we have names again?, AMOR as clue'd.
Fav: c/a for MUD. 4th grade humor at its finest.

Browned butter was not going to be BURNT; My cousin spells it GiNA (but I waited on perps - yea ME!)
Ibid. thoughts about breastMEAT

Welcome back ATLGranny!

++LEAR's All in the Family, HG.

Nice Blazing Saddles cite, billO - I can't stop smiling.

KS - there's nothing green growing so, um, DESERT to me. YR cites rainfall.

LUIGI on the stand [SNL] //Ray-O, if you haven't seen this...

Cheers, -T

desper-otto said...

Lucina, in addition to her mixed up pronoun cases, two other things bother me about Mayim's (Oops, I called her Miyam yesterday) performance: There's always about a 2-second pause after a contestant's answer for somebody to whisper in Mayim's ear before she makes a ruling. When someone's answer is wrong, there's no mercy in her voice when she rules against them. In case you didn't pick up on it, I'm also in the Ken Jennings camp.

Lee said...

SubG, Irish Miss was with us on Monday

Chairman Moe said...

unclefred @ 11:37 --> if you recall, I lived in FL from 2010 to Dec 2019 before moving to AZ ... I wondered if this blog's AI robots would negate my EOS pic ... it's art!!

Monkey said...

I had a lot of fun solving this puzzle and reading C-Moe’s entertaining recap with too many bons mots to list. Busy day.

Where is Irish ☘️ Miss?

Misty said...

Neat Friday puzzle, many thanks, Alexander. (Did everyone call you a "dear child" when you were young?). And your commentary is always fun, Chairman Moe, thanks for that too.

Well, I suppose if you padded around in some MUD on a RAINY day in the DESERT, you'd probably need a SAUNA to tidy up. Hope you didn't end up sliding down a SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Hope that KID'S MEAL was a HEARTY BREAKFAST.

I had to take an EARLY RETIREMENT after my sweet husband had a stroke. I sure missed teaching, but it was helpful to be able to have the time to care for him.

We miss you, Irish Miss. Hope all is okay and that you'll enjoy a nice weekend.

You too, everybody.

Irish Miss said...

Thanks, everyone for your concern. I’ve been under the weather 😔 but hope to feel better soon. 😌

CanadianEh! said...

Fabulous Friday. Thanks for the fun, Alexander and CMoe.
I needed one look-up to get DRAG, as I wanted Shop, and perps weren’t working for me.
Got the Tada and saw the Y theme.
Were LINTY, RAINY and NUTTY Easter Egg Y’s?

Hand up for MAELSTROM being a favourite.
Gotta run.
Wishing you all a great day.

Wendybird said...

Thank you, Alexander, for an interesting, doable puzzle. I was delighted to rack up an FIR… then looked at the grid and realized I’d screwed up with audios/AUDITS and carelessly misspelled QATAR - heavy sigh.
I enjoyed the cleverly done theme answers and the minimum of trivia entries. My favorite fill was maelstrom.

JINX - well, that’s two of us regarding “mud”. I’ve heard the phrase for years but never knew it’s origin. A very interesting fact, so thanks.

CROSS EYES D. - Mayim B.’s delay on Jeopardy at declaring a response correct is matched by her penchant for pouncing on incorrect answers instantly and penalizing for incorrect pronounciation. Your thought that her lack of spontaneity is caused by her acting chops makes sense. I just prefer Ken’s style.

Gloom in Mudville - both the Cubs and the Lakers lost close games yesterday! Hope springs eternal, however.

Kelly Clark said...


Super and really enjoyable puzzle -- and fun review! Thanks, Alexander and Chairman!

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts 2:

I know that some of our Crossword Corner regulars are Jumble fans; some even post on Owen KL's blog. Not a [spoiler alert], but todays Jumble gives a shout out to Joseph (my brother from another mother), our resident "sea cow"

Ol' Man Keith said...

Chairman Moe introduces today's Liebeskind PZL.

The "Sports doc's scan" reference to the MRI reminds me of my doctor visit this week.
I had to check in at the "Sports Medicine" department, feeling every inch the jock!
The MD had my recent MRI in hand and explained to me why I can no longer lift my right arm above shoulder level. Seems I tore the rotator somethng-or-other, and the ball has slipped its socket and now resides about two inches higher than it ought.
Unless I have surgery (which I won't) I'll never have full range of motion again.
How did it happen?
I was lifting weights last November, felt a searing pain, & decided to work through it--
er... bad choice!

I guess that was a sports injury.
Jock Keith.
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Three diagonals, all on the far side.
The central diag's anagram (11 of 15) is a Hebrew/Yiddisher slang appreciation of Simon Biles' most dangerous moves, her...

"MISHUGA SOLO"!

sumdaze said...

Thanks, Alexander, for your funnY puzzle. FAV: Artichokes. Fresh hearts are a bit hearty. Also liked Oxford but not Cambridge.
I had KIDS MEnu before KIDS MEAL.

Jinx@7:21. I learned about Dr. Mudd when I visited Dry Tortugas Nat'l Park off of the FL Keys. It seems he was sent to Fort Jefferson to serve his life sentence. Life was difficult there. They had little fresh water but were surrounded by beautiful salt water. (Side note: I recently watched the movie "Hysteria" set in 1880's England. The doctor character said, "My name is Mudd." I had to pause the DVD to check if that saying fit the timeline. It did.)

RIOT, you are, C-Moe! Loved all the Moe-Kus!

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Sumdaze, I've been to Key West maybe 100 times, and haven't taken that excursion. I'll add that to my bucket list. Thank you.

Wendybird said...

My manners are showing - I forgot to say thank you to Chairman Moe for the always entertaining tour!

Monkey said...

Sumdaze@4:11. I too went to the Dry Tortugas National Park and was also told about Dr Mudd. We were also told soon after his arrival Dr Mudd who spent 4 years at Fort Jefferson and later won recognition for helping battle an outbreak of yellow fever.

Monkey said...

I garbled my last entry. Dr Mudd won recognition for helping fight a yellow fever outbreak soon after his arrival. He, himself died of yellow fever at age 49.

Wilbur Charles said...

Picard you Cali folk love to parade. Lotta fun all around

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle. Enjoyed reading all your comments. I loved learning that Chablis is a region.

Speaking of LUIGI, I also recently learned the "correct" pronunciation of Guido is "Ghee do." My Egyptian friend Sherif taught me that Qatar is pronounce like "cutter" or "gutter." (Egyptians say cutter; Syrians say gutter.)

I laughed my ASS off at "fake GNUs." ARIOTy stuff!

I, too, am a thigh and leg man.

I sometimes say "OR NOT" when my wife responds "Nuh" to a suggestion I make.

Good wishes to you all.

sumdaze said...

Tante Nique @ 5:43 & 5:46. I'm glad you added that info!

Anonymous T said...

Jayce - yes, my Egyptian & Algerian friends will correct my QATAR pronunciation when I slip.

OMK - My left shoulder likes to roll forward and come out of socket. My trainer at the gym will first massage the "Owch!" out of my chest, ribs, under the arms (or I do it with a lacrosse ball and the wall), and under the back's "wing." Then he gives me a PVC pipe to put in both hands to lift and twist and pull the left arm w/ my right.
After a few minutes, I put my arm on his shoulder, he puts his hand on mine and forces the joint down and in.
Don't know if that will help you but it's better than surgery... maybe just a good PT could help(?)

If you only have a hammer, every job is a nail; Surgeons' gonna surgeon.

Cheers, -T

waseeley said...

Roger Mudd was also a long time broadcaster for CBS and NBC news.

Anonymous said...

I agree Lucina. On amother show, the woman has to stand aside and arrange letters. No speaking!

Anonymous said...

Why not have both Ken and Mayim. He gets a little scripted too!