Theme: "Top Choice"- Each theme entry is punnily clued as "Hairdo for....".
22. Hairdo for experts? : WHIZBANGS
24. Hairdo for gadget lovers? : THINGAMABOB. Looks simple. But lots of work involved in this one.
36. Hairdo for sportscasters? : FOOTBALL HIGHLIGHTS. Shown in above picture.
59. Hairdo for certain Germans? : FRANKFURTER BUN. I like messy buns.
81. Hairdo for daring gymnasts? : DOUBLE BACKFLIP. This was once popular in China also.
103. Hairdo for economists? : INFLATIONARY SPIKES
122. Hairdo for wickerworkers? : BASKET WEAVE
125. Hairdo for burglars? : CRIME WAVE
The hair-related words are all last words or last parts of a word. Quite consistent.
So nice to see Pam back. She's a total pro. This is her 29th puzzle on our blog. She mostly focuses on Sunday grids. Interesting. I just checked her label on our blog. She never made a themeless grid.
Look at her cool hair.
1. "Dallas" was one : SOAP. And 11. 1-Across plot staple : AMNESIA
5. Like much cheese : AGED
9. Improv style : SCAT
13. They're surrounded by agua : ISLAS
18. Developer's plot, perhaps : ACRE. Boomer and I have been enjoying this 130-acre nature center. Mostly cushioned ground, super friendly to Boomer's legs/hips.
19. Round number? : ZERO. What a great clue.
20. Dingbat : SCHMO
21. Ohno on skates : APOLO
26. Roll at a nursery : SOD
27. Honored athlete : ALL-STAR. When did you get into tennis, Big Easy?
29. John in Dublin : SEAN
30. Flier over Hawaii : NENE
31. It may follow you, but not me : ARE. Also 85. You and me, say : PAIR
32. Tricks : RUSES
34. Old German leader : KAISER
43. Only NFL coach with a perfect season : SHULA (Don)
44. Undistinctive marks : CEEs. And 124. Symbol of peace : VEE
45. "No man __ island ... ": Donne : IS AN
46. "With enough courage, you can do without a reputation" speaker : RHETT. To Scarlett.
50. Sounds of uncertainty : UMs
51. Household hisser : RADIATOR
54. Enzyme ending : ASE
56. Oil-rich fed. : UAE
57. System of values : ETHIC
63. Secretly includes in the 108-Down loop, briefly : BCCs. And 108. It clicks open : EMAIL
65. Ambien maker : SEARLE
66. "__ gonna happen" : AIN'T
67. U2 philanthropist : BONO
70. Work on, as a soundtrack : REDUB. Also 109. Watch again, as a movie : RESEE
74. Having less vermouth, as a martini : DRIER
75. "Family Guy" creator MacFarlane : SETH
76. Footnote word : IDEM
77. More work : UTOPIA. Tricky clue. Thomas More.
79. Gossip : DIRT
86. Car shopper's option : LEASE
89. Andorra's cont. : EUR
90. That, in Mexico : ESA. Also 2. Eight, in 14-Down : OCHO. 14. See 2-Down : SPANISH
91. Emphasized, in a way : ITERATED
93. Chihuahua cheer : OLE
95. Prefix with sphere : TROPO. Also 69. Logical opening? : NEURO 116. And Start to bat? : ACRO. All O-ending prefixes.
97. "I'd consider __ honor" : IT AN
100. French honey : AMIE
101. Seaman's shout : AVAST
107. 2017 Masters champ Garcia : SERGIO. Finally won the Masters this year.
111. Energy Star co-creator, familiarly : EPA. Wiki says Energy Star "was created in 1992 by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy".
112. Skunk River city : AMES
113. VMI program : ROTC
115. Three-layer fishing net : TRAMMEL. Never heard of this word.
127. Words with wait or state : LIE IN
128. California cager : LAKER
129. Painter Magritte : RENE
130. Tough test : ORAL
131. Disney princess from Avalor : ELENA
132. Neverland pirate : SMEE
133. Binged (on), as junk food : OD'ed
134. Took off : WENT
1. Wise words : SAWS. My motto: when in doubt, listen to D-Otto. Life or crosswords. But not sports or fashion.
3. Dry as dust : ARID
4. 90-year-old mint : PEZ. I did not know the age. But I see Pez dispenser at the flea market all the time.
6. Short title for Lee : GEN'L
7. Bits of work : ERGs
8. Old-fashioned do? : DOST. Not hair do.
9. Ivy, e.g.: Abbr. : SCH
10. Woodworking tools : CHISELS
12. Roman wrap : TOGA
13. Sevillian soy? : I AM. Googled afterwards. "Soy" is Spanish for "I am".
15. Places to see studs : LOBES
16. On one's own : ALONE
17. Like the designated driver, by design : SOBER
20. Gymnast Kerri who performed an iconic vault in the 1996 Olympics : STRUG. Iconic picture.
23. Uncivilized : BARBARIC
25. Sarcophagus symbol : ANKH. Sarcophagus is a new word to me. Stone coffin.
28. Grain appendage : ARISTA. Learned from doing crosswords.
31. NBA's Hawks, on scoreboards : ATL
33. Avoided on the job : SHIRKED
35. "__ Grows in Brooklyn" : A TREE
36. Coll. football's Seminoles : FSU
37. "Alas!" : OH ME. Not AH ME.
38. Toss from office : OUST
39. Calculator feature, for short : LCD
40. First name in Norse navigators : LEIF
41. Half an approval : HEAR. I used to think it's "Here, here".
42. Twisted : GNARLED
47. 1978 Broadway jazz revue : EUBIE. Music by Eubie Blake. Learning moment for me.
49. First of the second nine : TENTH. 10th hole on back nine. Golf. Really miss TTP on the blog.
52. Grows : ACCRUES
53. Switch positions : ONs
55. Clean and then some : STERILE
58. Cold War concern : H-BOMB
60. Much : FAR
61. Mentalist Geller : URI
62. Selassie worshiper : RASTA
64. Put a price on a flight? : SET BAIL. Nice fill/clue.
67. High-end hotel amenity : BIDET. My ex had this in his apartment. I never asked him what's the use.
68. Sussex smell : ODOUR
71. 1988 Ryan/Quaid remake : D.O.A.
72. Short lines at the register? : UPC
73. Two-piece suits : BIKINIs
78. Where to see a wake : AFT. Oh, boat.
80. Still-life fruit, perhaps : RED APPLE
82. "Ghost Town" (2008) actress : LEONI (Téa)
83. Almost a ringer : LEANER. Horseshoes shot.
84. "Joy of Cooking" writer Rombauer : IRMA. Thinking of our Florida regulars.
87. Seriously overcharge : SOAK. Not bill-related.
88. End of a threat : ELSE
92. "Brat Farrar" novelist : TEY (Josephine).
96. Deflategate concern : PIGSKIN
98. Ring duo : TAG TEAM
99. Had dessert, in a way : ATE CAKE. Mid-Autumn
Festival is coming. The local Asian store here is already displaying
mooncakes. It's normally sold in a pretty tin with a picture of moon
goddess Chang'e. Quite pricey. Wish they sell individual one.
102. Itinerary word : VIA
104. Frontier protection : FORT
105. Polecat cousin : OTTER. We also have 114. Hogwarts messengers : OWLS. And 119. Fabled favorite : HARE
106. Looked to be : SEEMED
107. Polecat cousin : SABLE
117. '60s TV talking animal : MR ED
118. Go for the gold : MINE
120. Politico Bayh : EVAN
121. Dripping sandwich, maybe : MELT. Have any of you tried Bánh mì?
126. "That's really something!" : WOW