Theme: Are you ready for some football? - You will need a good front line.
63A. In jeopardy ... and where the first words of the answers to starred clues can be found: ON THE LINE
17A. *Fishing gear holder: TACKLE BOX
38A. *Final part of a chess match: END GAME
11D. *Site of many face-offs: CENTER ICE. Hockey.
34D. *Sentry's job: GUARD DUTY
Argyle here. We have a nice pinwheel formation on our grid but it wouldn't work on the gridiron.
1. Hungarian sheepdog: PULI
5. Glasgow native: SCOT
9. 1983 taxi comedy starring Mr. T: DC CAB
14. Mideast chieftain: EMIR
15. Boob __: TV: TUBE
16. Last Olds model: ALERO
19. Old Ford subcompact named for a horse: PINTO
20. "__ missing something?": AM I. (blogger's lament)
21. Out on a cruise: AT SEA
22. Pickled-pepper picker: PETER
23. Like Disneyland at night: LIT UP
25. Public tantrum: SCENE
27. Snappy dresser: FOP ergo 9-Down. Smartly dressed: DAPPER
29. '60s sci-fi series created by Gene Roddenberry: "STAR TREK"
32. Vamoose, to Shakespeare: BE GONE. “I must be gone and live, or stay and die.”
35. Long, slippery fish: EEL
36. Suffix with Israel or Jacob: ITE
37. Sch. in Columbus: OSU. (Ohio State University)
41. Chili __ carne: CON
42. RR depot: STA. (railroad station)
43. Common soccer result: TIE
44. Scope: EXTENT
46. Plush teddy with a heart for a nose: CARE BEAR
49. Red Seal record label company: RCA. (Radio Corporation of America)
50. Dryly humorous: DROLL
51. That is, in Latin: ID EST
55. Like some waves: TIDAL
57. Senate positions: SEATS
61. "Avatar" actress Saldana: ZOE
62. Word with safe or out: HOUSE. But is there a safe out house?
65. Speak: UTTER
66. Farmland measure: ACRE
67. Not yet eliminated from the contest: IN IT. Untill the fat lady sings.
68. Authority: SAY SO
69. Course of action: PLAN
70. Jacob's first wife: LEAH. Family Tree.
1. Petunia part: PETAL
2. Taste that's not sweet, sour, bitter or salty: UMAMI
3. Allowed by law: LICIT
4. Irritate: IRK
5. Copy editor's "Leave it in": [STET]
6. Wrigley Field team: CUBS. Chicago.
7. Double-reed woodwind: OBOE
8. Petroleum nickname: TEXAS TEA
10. Customer: CLIENT
12. Paintings in the Prado, por ejemplo: ARTE. The Prado Museum is the main Spanish national art museum, located in central Madrid.
13. Ungentlemanly sort: BOOR
18. First track circuit in a race: LAP ONE
24. Sci-fi radar blip: UFO. (unidentified flying object)
26. More sedate: CALMER
28. Marker marketer: PENTEL. Wiki.
29. "Night Moves" singer Bob: SEGER
30. Historic British prep school: ETON
31. Superman, as a reporter: KENT
32. Greenish-yellow pear: BOSC
33. "¿Cómo __ usted?": ESTA. "How are you?"
39. Shower bar brand: DIAL SOAP
40. Type of tax: EXCISE
45. Tiny bit: TAD
47. Wipes out: ERASES
48. Ravel classic used in the film "10": BOLERO. The clip is long(15:49) but fascinating.
52. Online periodical: eZINE
53. Justice Sotomayor: SONIA
54. Molars and incisors: TEETH
55. Like so: THUS
56. Tiny bit: IOTA
58. SASE, say: ENCL. (self-addressed stamped envelope/enclosure)
59. Razor brand: ATRA
60. Back in the day: THEN
64. "__ Abner": LI'L