google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday October 13, 2019 Kevin Salat

Advertisements

Oct 13, 2019

Sunday October 13, 2019 Kevin Salat

Theme: "Flip the Switch" - ON and OFF change positions.  

22A. Lectured about links?: SPOKE ON THE CUFF. Spoke off the cuff

47A. "We have that in stock," e.g.?: ON HAND REMARK. Offhand remark.

70A. Extra-base hit, likely?: FLY OFF THE WALL. Fly on the wall.

91A. Fake modeling material?: KNOCK OFF WOOD. Knock on wood.

117A. Let go of a factory workers unit?: LAID OFF THE LINE. Laid on the line.

32D. Guidebook for throwing a shot?: ON PUTTING. Off-putting.

60D. Stage hog staying sober?: HAM OFF RYE. Ham on rye.

Three Off to ON, Four On to OFF. One more will be an even switch.

Grid design can be deceiving at times. I thought this is a 140-worder, a few spots just feel so chunky.

Across:

1. Expert's nugget: PRO TIP.

7. Seaside eatery: CLAM BAR. Never been to a clam bar.

14. Relative challenge for some: IN-LAW. Real "relative".

19. Stand-up sort: MENSCH. So many on our blog.

20. Filmmaker for whom a Golden Globe award is named: DEMILLE. Also 127. Academy bestowals: OSCARS.

21. Part of TNT: NITRO.

24. Got out of the pen: SPRUNG. Jail. And 81. Sentence structure?: CELL.

26. 1974 Peace Nobelist from Japan: SATO. Wiki says he "brought Japan into the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, for which he received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1974." He died in 1975.


27. Gram opening: INSTA. Instagram.

28. Word on a towel: HIS.

29. Icky stuff: GOO.

30. __-cone: SNO.

33. Portable preparedness kit: GO BAG.

35. Rang: TOLLED.

37. 2019 NCAA hoops champ: UVA. And 34. 37-Across conf.: ACC.

38. Start of a few choice words?: EENIE.

40. World Golf Hall of Famer Lorena: OCHOA. One of my favorite LPGA players.


42. Big discount events: FIRE SALES.

45. Fabric flaws: RIPS.


46. Govt. health org.: CDC. And 66. 46-Across HQ city: ATL.

49. Uniformed "O Canada" singer: BLUEJAY. And 52. Maple syrup base: SAP.

51. Prom coif: UPDO.

53. Oktoberfest vessel: STEIN.

54. Balaam's mount: ASS.

55. "In memoriam" piece: OBIT.

59. Adjust the length of: RE-HEM.

63. Peach center: PIT. Tried a few white peaches this year. So sweet.


64. "Cabaret" film director: FOSSE.

66. Spanning: ACROSS.

68. Foo Fighters frontman Grohl: DAVE.

69. "__ dreaming?": AM I.

73. Guys: MEN.

74. Frog hangout: POND.

76. Like many awards: ANNUAL.

77. Similarly named rival of a video game plumber: WARIO. Arch-rival of Mario.


78. PDX : Portland :: __ : Chicago: ORD.

79. Heavenly body?: ANGEL.

82. Wetland: FEN.

83. Tips politely: DOFFS. Hat.

85. Complainer who won't quit: NAG.

87. Dressed: CLAD.

89. Fundraiser: BENEFIT.

97. Round number?: PAR. Nice clue.

98. Obama Education secretary Duncan: ARNE.


99. Specialized market segment: NICHE AREA.

100. Big name in grills: WEBER.

102. Utah's __ Canyon: BRYCE.

103. Do brunch, say: EAT. Not a Chinese tradition.

104. Maze navigator: LAB RAT.

106. Cara of "Fame": IRENE.

108. Yet, in poetry: EEN.

109. "That was ages __": AGO.

110. Law firm fig.: ATT.

111. Brief affair: FLING.

113. XL, for one: SIZE.

115. Work intermittently (in): DABBLE.

122. Intel-gathering mission: RECON.

123. Premier League powerhouse: ARSENAL. Quite a few soccer fields in our area. 

124. Syrian city: ALEPPO.

125. Rainbow-shaped: ARCED.

126. Has no wrong answers, say: GETS AN A.

Down:

1. Downing St. VIPs: PMS.

2. Union __: REP.

3. "Blueprint for a Sunrise" artist: ONO. Wiki says it's a "concept album of experimental feminist rock". She looks like a Chinese empress here.


4. Chiding sounds: TSKS.

5. Frigid time: ICE AGE.

6. ID card feature: PHOTO. Do you all have a real ID?

7. New Orleans summer hrs.: CDT.

8. Bethlehem university: LEHIGH.  Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. (Thanks, billocohoes~)

9. "Absolutely!": AMEN.

10. Prop for an emcee: MIC STAND.

11. Olive pursuer of comics: BLUTO.

12. Sprouts source: ALFALFA. I only like beansprouts.


13. Call the game: REF.

14. First to hear the news: INSIDERS.

15. Little bites: NIPS.

16. P.O. delivery: LTR.

17. Peppery salad green: ARUGULA. Aldi has a spinach & arugula mix.


18. Convinced: WON OVER.

23. Twerp: NOBODY.

25. "Find out": GO ASK.

28. __ mentality: HERD.

30. NBA's Nikola Jokic, e.g.: SERB. Not familiar with him.


31. "Lost in Yonkers" playwright: NEIL SIMON.

36. "Hamilton" creator __-Manuel Miranda: LIN.

39. "Aha!": I SEE.

41. "I'm such a klutz!": OOPS.

43. Char: SEAR.

44. Energetically excited: AMPED.

46. Cooking oil option: CANOLA. Canola field is pretty.


48. Poor spirits?: HOOCH. Oh, I like this clue.

50. Sec: JIFF.

51. Good to have around: USEFUL.

54. All together: AS ONE.

56. Prepared, as beer: BREWED.

57. Waterloo resident: IOWAN.

58. Ruler until 1917: TSAR.

61. From then on: EVER SINCE.

62. Patch: MEND.

63. Rollin' stone, in a Motown classic: PAPA. "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone".



65. What collaborators should be in: SYNC.

67. Small burger: SLIDER.

71. Edie of "The Sopranos": FALCO.

72. Fish-eating bird: LOON.

75. Academy Award winner Dame Judi __: DENCH. I still have not figured out why Rich sometimes uses __ in the clue, esp when the actress is so famous.

80. Limnologist's subject: LAKE. Never heard of limnologist.

82. Wither away: FADE.

84. Funhouse reaction: FEAR.

86. Commit a hoops no-no: GOALTEND. Read more here.

88. Good times to build sand castles: LOW TIDES.

89. Least adorned: BAREST.

90. Many a "Freaks and Geeks" character: TEEN.

91. Manipulate digitally: KNEAD.

92. Falls for someone who's married?: NIAGARA. Good old clue.

93. Red __: fictional sub: OCTOBER.

94. __ party: FRAT.

95. American Heart Mo., aptly: FEB. Valentine's Day.

96. Armed conflict: WARFARE.

97. What "/" may mean: PER.

101. Ardent enthusiast: BIG FAN.

102. Frames around smartphone displays: BEZELS. The middle one is bezel-less. The screen looks bigger.


105. Top-tier: A LIST.

107. Mandarin hello: NI HAO. Literally "you good".


110. Lotion ingredient: ALOE.

112. Hendryx of the "Lady Marmalade" trio Labelle: NONA. We had her before.


114. Util. supply: ELEC.

116. Include covertly, briefly: BCC.

117. Online gaming annoyance: LAG.

118. St. Pete's place: FLA.

119. Beer choice: IPA.

120. "Code Switch" airer: NPR.

121. Dawn goddess: EOS.


Dennis is going to have a full open-heart surgery at the JFK Medical Center (Atlantis, Florida) next Tuesday Oct 15, 2019. The operation is quite risky as they need to replace both valves.

Dennis jokes that he is always a risk-taker and loves new adventures, but this is quite a battle. The surgery is long and the recovery is longer. Tough for someone who's always on the go.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Stay tough, Dennis!

Dennis

32 comments:

OwenKL said...

Actually, it's five ON to OFF, as you'll see in my first l'ick.

He's CLAD when he DONS HIS clothes
They're polite when they DOFF their chapeaus.
When it KNOCKS OFF
WOOD|an Indian cough,
Or would it re-pose in repose?

EENIE meenie minie moe,
Catch him by HIS eenie toe!
If his beenie
Isn't teenie,
Give him a weenie and a cup of joe!

Some odd things can't hold a candle
To the tools for preperations prandial.
What could be hipper
Than a fry-pan zipper?
That way you can have a FLY ON THE handle!

{B-, C+, B+.}

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Lotsa cute clue/ans in this one. I liked it. Took an alphabet run to get the P at the PAR/PER cross. That was the last to fall. Thanx, Kevin and C.C.

BRYCE: Visited there years ago. I had the flu and spent the whole time in the car shivering.

"Real ID": Nope. Got a letter last week notifying me that my DL isn't "real," and inviting me to renew my license early. If I have to fly somewhere, I'll just use my passport.

Best wishes, Dennis. Marines don't give up, so I think you'll do fine.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

A first for me on Sunday, a FIR with no erasure.

For "____ mentality" I fought OFF mob and union.

I am never certain about comparatives. BAREST? If you are wearing a toe ring you aren't BARE. But if Zoe isn't behaving quite well enough for "good dog", she might be rewarded with a "that's a better dog".

Two of my favorite cities: Saint Petersburg, Florida and Saint Pete Beach, Florida. There isn't a Saint Pete, Florida, although everyone calls it that.

I liked seeing OBIT and R.I.P.(S) together. And ALEPPO and OOPS reminded me of Gary Johnson.

KNOCK OFF WOOD could have been clued "Wagoner 'to do' item of 1981".

INSIDERS could have been clued "Congressmen".

KNEAD could have been clued "What Bob Kraft's masseuse does for dough".

ASS could have been clued "Matt Lauer's mount".

Thanks for the easy-for-Sunday puzzle, Kevin. My favorites were "relative challenge for some", "sentence structure", and "manipulate digitally". And thanks for the fun review, CC. My prayers are with you, Dennis.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

The first theme entry, "Spoke on the cuff", plus the puzzle's title, made this a breeze to solve. As usual, the unknown proper names slowed me down, but there were only a handful: Wario, Sato, Nona, Ni Hao, and Papa, as clued. I think my only w/o was Tryst/Fling and my favorite C/A was Falls for someone who's married=Niagara, also a CSO to CEh and additional ones at Blue Jay and Canola. Thought of Steve at Arsenal, although I'm not sure which team he roots for. I noticed the Eenie ~ Een, Par ~ Per, and Ref ~ Rep standouts.

Thanks, Kevin, for a pleasant Sunday solve and thanks, CC, for the sparkling review and visuals.

Dennis, best wishes for a successful surgery and complete and rapid recovery.

Go Yankees! ⚾️⚾️⚾️

Have a great day.

TTP said...


Thank you, Kevin. Thank you, C.C.

Fast Sunday solve. Grokked the theme right off the bat.

For those that don't like 'em, there weren't too many proper names today. I only needed perp help with a few of them, like SATO.

C.C., 75D, Consistency ? Me too, on Lorena Ochoa.

Why is an LA BRAT a maze navigator ?

Best wishes, Dennis.

billocohoes said...

I’m with D-O on using my passport for travel

CC, I don’t know if that’s a typo, but there’s no space in “LEHIGH”, a mainly engineering and research college in eastern Pennsylvania

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Fun theme and deceptive cluing made for a fun time after I escaped the NW (PROTIP and GO BAG?)
-Even though she is a lovely person, MIL living with us for now has been a relative challenge
-Tips – Wait person yesterday said “Every table is like Christmas, you don’t know what you’re going to get”
-BAREST? Talk about being CLAD differently
-The Bentley car dealership in Omaha really appeals to a NICHE AREA (market)
-Dominant Husker football seasons? That was AGES ago! During the game last night I got up and did something USEFUL
-BLUTO or Brutus?
-Unfortunately, the only SERB I know is Gavrilo Princip for his dastardly deed in 1914
-Good luck, Dennis!

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

Finally FIR. Had 'aline' before ALIST. Getting that allowed me to parse GETS AN A correctly and WAG ARSENAL.
ALEPPO - We have many residents here of Syrian descent. Many times their OBITS will tell of their ALEPPO ancestry.
ALFALFA - is a legume. It has a wonderful smelling flower, which, singly, is hard to notice. But mowing a whole field, all in bloom, is a special experience.
CANOLA / BLUEJAY cross a clecho? CANOLA is an oil made from rapeseed; the oil developed by Saskatchewan researchers as I understand it. The CAN stands for CANADA.
57d Waterloo : IOWAN - I first tried to come up with something for the Waterloo in Belgium; Fleming or some such. But the light went on for IOWA.
We have a WEBER grill. Some of my INLAWS on the maternal side are WEBERs. Means 'weaver' in German. A fairly common surname.
LAKE was a gimme. I took a course in limnology in graduate school at SUNY Buffalo. Learnt the difference between a dimictic and a monomictic LAKE. (Turns over twice a yuears vs. once a year.). Most temperate LAKES like the Finger Lakes are dimictic. Sea of Galilee is monomictic.
88d LOW TIDES - German for time is Zeit. But L. German is Tiet, plural Tieden. Dutch is tijd. I've always felt there was a closeness in the etymology given that tides revolve around the time.
MENSCH - In German it means 'person', but in Yiddish it means a real, stand-up individual. To be dubbed a MENSCH by a Yiddish speaker is a special honor.

Misty said...

I got started in the northeast with GOO, which surprisingly gave me ARUGULA. On the other side, further down, I got NEIL SIMON, which gave me POND and ANGEL, and that got me DENCH--although I first spelled it DENSH and that created problems below for a while. Can't believe I got LEHIGH--but it comes from coming from Pennsylvania, and I must have heard of that school in Bethlehem. And I cracked up when NIAGARA turned up for the marriage falls, also an Irish Miss favorite. Never heard of BEZELS, but I was delighted to end the puzzle with OSCARS. So thanks for a fun Sunday morning, Kevin, and you too, C.C., for your always helpful and nicely illustrated review.

Spitzboov, I too went to graduate school at Buffalo, around 1968-72 or so. When were you there?

Dennis, sending my best wishes for a successful and unproblematic surgery and recovery.

Have a great Sunday, everybody.

WikWak said...

NIAHO, all.

Boy, do I feel dumb, having so much trouble and spending 51 minutes, WAY over my usual time. Alphabet runs, red letters, the whole nine yards.

TTP, that’s not an LA BRAT, it’s a LAB RAT. At least I got that if nothing else.

Foo. I’ll just fade away and lick my wounds. Next Sunday will have to be better!

Nap time. Bye.

Jayce said...

A nice puzzle with a fun theme, but I could not finish it. ARSENAL, GETSANA, ALIST, and NONA stumped me. I am very weak on sports teams, conferences, etc. so relied completely on perps to fill stuff like UVA and ACC. I learned the uniformed "O Canada" singer was not a MOUNTIE. I remember C.C. had "an ALEPPO moment" many months ago. LW and I don't use CANOLA oil because it is made from rapeseed, which, if I recall, animals won't eat because it is poisonous. I loved "Red OCTOBER," both the book and the movie.

Dennis, I join Misty and others in sending my best wishes for a successful and unproblematic surgery and recovery.

Bill G said...

This one took a while and was a struggle in places. I really enjoyed the theme and clever clueing. I don't know whether to thank Kevin or Rich for those so I'll appreciate them both along with CC's excellent write up.

We've visited Bryce Canyon. Unusual and beautiful. It's high enough avoid some of the desert heat.

Dennis, count me in too. Best wishes. I'm hoping that things proceed smoothly and easily.

Big Easy said...

The NW was too tough for me today. SATO and GO BAG were unheard of unknowns I correctly guessed PHOTO but with P____P and M____H in place I couldn't guess the rest. No other problems filling, with NI HAO, WARIO and NONA completed by perps.

Nikola had to be either a SLAV or SERB.

Gotta go.

Wilbur Charles said...

Actually, only an UMP "Calls a game". And... I thought " links" was about golf. But Round number yielded my golf fix. Along with FLY and GOAL TEND for more sports.
I had EVER AFTER < SINCE.

Loved the Niagara clue. And Balaam's ASS is my favorite Bible story. Some of my best advice had come from horse's asses. Mean,selfish, assinine remarks are usually honest.

This XW didn't FLY OFF THE Page but was doable.

WC

FLN: -T; real lobster in Italy? Do they fly them in from Boston?

Spitzboov said...

Jayce - The levels of erucic acid in US Canola oil is < 2% which is considered safe by the FDA. Canola uses an adaptation of the rapeseed plant. BTW - Rapeseed is a close relative to the turnip and rutabaga and related to mustard and cabbage as well.
We use it routinely. Rape comes from the Latin 'rapa'. Turnip in German is Rübe; L. German Rööv, Dutch raab. Guess the Romans got around.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Late to the party as usual on a Sunday though I finished the puzzle before I left for church. I liked the switch; thank you, Kevin Salat!

The bottom was kinder to me than the top so I started there and it blossomed upward.

I've never heard of WARIO but had all the downs to complete it. Often I am annoyed with sports clues but usually they emerge and I learn something.

Does anyone else find ARUGULA bitter? Maybe I just don't like it.

I know rings have BEZEL cut diamonds but didn't know that about telephones.

HOOCH made me laugh.

d-otto:
You'll laugh at his. I didn't notice the NE corner was not finished! It must be poor eyesight.

Is Kevin Canadian? He has a few Canadian references: BLUEJAY, CANOLA and NIAGARA with a great clue.

Dennis, you have my prayers for a successful surgery and recovery. You can do it, Big Guy.

I hope you are all enjoying a marvelous Sunday! It's perfect weather here, not too cold and not too hot. 80s.

Lucina said...

C.C.:
Thank you. I learn something from you every time you comment.

Lucina said...

I forgot to say how much I really dislike that style of jeans with slits in them! I know, I'm turning into my mother who didn't even like jeans! She considered them work clothes because that's what the men who worked at the ranch wore.

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk Say...

{B, C, B+}

WC - I assumed Rome was close enough to water to have lobsters. I did notice the dinner-to-be had a limp left claw - when I got to it, the meat was not eatable [kinda slimy]. I did joke w/ DW that they only have one fresh lobster they show the tourists before dinner :-)

//Ok, it was kinda weird. The pasta was cooked in the sea-food water [the proper way to do it] but I thought the lobster meat would be sprinkled into the dish. Nope, the lobster was cut in half and placed on top of the pasta. For what I was paying for that dinner, I didn't expect to also work for the meat.

Lucina - Arugula is more "peppery" that bitter to my pallet. I like it in a mix but not solo.
Oh, re: Jeans. I can't tell you how many Levis t-shirts I saw. In Florence I walked past a Levi's' store and noticed the jeans were going for 170EU! And here I was wearing a pair... I told DW that all those girls looking at my butt* were only noticing the Red Levi's tag. ;-)

Well, Eldest and her friend (and violin teacher) are on their way back to Norman, OK. I built them a Sunday brunch that should stick to their ribs until Tuesday - pancakes (plus real Canadian Maple syrup), eggs (scrambled & over easy), bacon, potatoes with fresh rosemary from the garden, toast with my Mom's home-spun honey, OJ, coffee, and of course, a little chocolate from Italy.

Dennis - you got this. Semper Fi!

Cheers, -T
*And that's the joke. No one was really looking at my ASS.

Jayce said...

Spitzboov, thanks for the info.

Bobbi said...

Nice two hour Sunday romp (with several dog barking stops - possums, cats, squirrels??). Clever theme and not too many "stretches that misdirected my thought processes. I'll be watching for Salat's next entry. Thanks for a fun time on a sleepy Sunday afternoon!

Lucina said...

AnonT:
Don't kid yourself! Those girls did plenty of looking and the guys at your wife, too! It sounds like you had a very good time and I'm glad you're back safely.

Wilbur Charles said...

-T, did I ever mention my Summerjob on the docks in Boston? Shucking lobsters.

Any one-claw lobsters were tossed into the big bin and boiled. Then dumped for us(another 16 yr old).

When boiled (or perhaps they steamed them) one doesn't need tools. However , a couple thousand lobsters can be tough on the hands.

Of course, all you can eat. By day three I couldn't wait for my baloney sandwich from my lunch bag.

WC

Anonymous said...

WOW. Just, WOW. Best LAT puz in the past 8 years, ISYN. Fresh, funny, challenging, imaginative, straight-up & outside-the-box entertaining. Yeah, there's still 23 abbreviations & a couple of WTFs (should be GOT SPRUNG; "Guidebook for MAKING a shot"; and really bad cluing for 23D). But this is clearly a new direction for the LAT- a fun & entertaining xword that pleased and surprised me to find it here, of all places. Bravo, Mr. Salat! Rich, we need more just like this one.

jfromvt said...

Fun theme. I like these play on words in the Sunday crosswords. Got the theme early, so zipped through it fairly quickly. Nice start to the day.

A lot of upsets in the NFL today. My Patriots are still the cream of the crop even with a struggling offense.

mlarm4828@gmail.com said...

I have never communicated via social media before (and frankly am hesitant)...but was so surprised to see your mention of JFK Medical Center on your blog. As a 38 year employee of JFK as an Adm. Asst. (now retired for 7 years), I just had to write. JFK is highly respected and renown in our area, especially in cardiac care. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both on Tuesday for a successful outcome.

PS Do you live in our area?

Picard said...

CC thank you for the review.

For some reason I had a hard time getting started with this puzzle. When I got the OFF/ON theme it helped a lot. I was able to think of familiar phrases with the opposite switch. I guess that was the idea. FIR.

Here is a short video and a few photos of us at NIAGARA Falls in Canada recently

I agree that the clue was clever.

inanehiker said...

Just got around to solving the puzzle - long day ending at Roaring River State Park in SW Missouri - I have never been here - it's a beautiful place.
This was a slow steady solve - probably slower thank usual because I'm doing it tired!
I didn't know the NBA player but his named is a similar set of letters to the tennis player- Novak Djokovic so I figured he was from the same country!
I was amused by the On/off theme answers.

Thanks CC and Kevin!

I'll be praying for you Dennis on Tuesday!

CanadianEh! said...

Wow! Canadian content today and I was too busy to even start the CW.
Just lurking and I see Loon, Canola, Blue Jay, Maple syrup and the best one, NIAGARA!
Your photos are great, Picard.

FLN, AnonT, LOL re that dinner in Rome.

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Dennis.

Dow Jones said...



Monday's (10/14/19) edition of the Wall Street Journal features a puzzle (Food For Afterthought) by C.C. Burnikel



C.C.'s Puzzle

It's fun and free !


TTP said...



Well that was dramatic ending to the game !

The fans at Minute Maid went aroar as Carlos Correa played it up by holding his hand to his ear as he started his home run trot down the first base line.

Went aroar ? Too many puzzles. Should have been 'cheered even louder as ...'

What a game.

Anonymous T said...

TTP - I stayed up for the game. Yanks take the split back to NYC but tonight was all classic nail biting 'Stros. I predict our bats will come alive in NY and ALCS will be H-Town's to celebrate [fingers crossed!].

Lucina - sometimes I wonder if DW and I live in The Enchanted Cottage - she hardly ages and I'm still a teenage punk kid (until the mirror shows I'm not Dorian Grey). If you look up DW on the "hot professor" website, she still gets 4/5 chili peppers from 19yro kids. I need to up my game!

Cheers, -T