google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 Kevin Christian and Mangesh Sakharam Ghogre

Advertisements

Sep 6, 2022

Tuesday, September 6, 2022 Kevin Christian and Mangesh Sakharam Ghogre

Yoga Class:  The last word of each theme answer is also a yoga pose.

17-Across. *   George Plimpton football memoir set in Detroit: PAPER LION.  [Name # 1.]

25-Across. *   Courtroom hotshot: LEGAL EAGLE.


35-Across. *   Informer: STOOL PIGEON.  This is my favorite yoga pose.


48-Across. *   Cowardly type: SCAREDY CAT.

And the unifier:

57-Across. Asanas found at the ends of the answers to the starred clues: YOGA POSES.  Everything you wanted to know about Asana Yoga, but didn't know to ask.

Over a decade ago, C.C. interviewed Mangesh Sakharam Ghogre.  You can read the interview here.

Across:
1. "Sorry, rules __ rules": ARE.


4. Dizzying designs: OP ART.  Short for Optical Art.


9. __ up on: unites against: GANGS.

14. Villain LuthorLEX.  [Name # 2.]  //  Change the vowel, and you get 29-Across. Bagel topper: LOX.

15. Prefix with -lithic: PALEO-.  Paleolithic.  Also known as the Old Stone Age.

16. Love to pieces: ADORE.

19. One awarding stars, perhaps: RATER.



20. "... the __ of defeat": "Wide World of Sports" phrase: AGONY.



21. "Black Panther" director CooglerRYAN.  [Name # 3.]  Ryan Kyle Coogler (b. May 23, 1986) has directed a number of films.


23. Excite, with "up": AMP.

24. King or queen, but not prince or princess: CARD.


28. House pest: ANT.  Remove a consonant from the Pest and the ANT becomes a house Pet.  Yesterday, the ANT was an Unwelcome Picnic Guest.


30. Manage to achieve: ATTAIN.

31. Reciprocal of cosine: SECANT.  //  And 39-Down. Inverse trig function: ARCSINE.  We all remember our high school math class, right?




34. Trace: HINT.

38. Water-to-wine town: CANA.  A Biblical reference where Jesus performed the miracle of turning water into wine at a wedding.

40. Hiking sites: TRAILS.


41. Maker of Zesty Curly frozen French fries: ORE-IDA.  Yummers!  Actually, I have never tried these, but I do like Ore-Ida's Tater Tots, which appeared in yesterday's puzzle.


44. D.C. stadium: RFK.  Formally known as the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium.  It is currently being demolished.  [Name adjacent.]


45. D.C. fundraising org.: PAC.

51. Love, in tennis: ZERO.  Why does Love mean nothing in Tennis?


52. Chiding syllable: TSK.

53. Milne bear: POOH.  Winnie the Pooh is a fictional teddy bear created by A.A. Milne (né Alan Alexander Milne; Jan. 18, 1882 ~ Jan. 31, 1956) in the 1920s.


54. Puts in order: SORTS.

55. Sibling's daughter: NIECE.  Word origin.

60. Scandal-plagued energy company: ENRON.  This company disintegrated almost overnight back in 2001.


61. Nebraska city: OMAHA.  Hi, Husker Gary!  Years ago, when I was first looking for a job, I was offered a job in Omaha.  My potential boss told me, however, that moving from the Northeast, I would experience "extreme cultural shock" living in Nebraska.  So instead, I moved to the South.  No cultural shock there, eh?

62. Mined resource: ORE.  Not to be confused with the 41-Across and the Ore-Ida potato products.

63. Patch, as a lawn: RE-SOD.

64. Fruit-hitting-the-floor sound: SPLAT.



65. Big Apple paper, for short: NYT.  As in the New York Times.

Down:
1. Llama kin: ALPACA.



2. 1980s president RonaldREAGAN.  Ronald Wilson Reagan (Feb. 6, 1911 ~ June 5, 2004) was the 40th President.  Can it really be over 40 years since he began his term as President?  [Name # 4.]

3. Commodity sold abroad: EXPORT.



4. The Grand Ole __: OPRY.  The home of country music.


5. Chum: PAL.

6. Boxer who said, "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am": ALI.  Muhammad Ali (né Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.; Jan. 17, 1942 ~ June 3, 2016) would "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." [Name # 5.]



7. Corp. shake-up: RE-ORG.  As in Reorganize.  It seems like the banking industry is always undergoing re-orgs.

8. Skater HardingTONYA.  Tonya Maxene Harding (b. Nov. 12, 1970) is best known for her troubles past.  In 1994, her ex-husband attacked her rival, Nancy Kerrigan.  Tonya was banned from competitive skating and turned to boxing.   [Name # 6.]


9. January birthstone: GARNET.  I have 3 options for my birthstone.


10. Oral health org.: ADA.  As in the American Dental Association.

11. "Why does this keep happening!?": NOT AGAIN.  Yup.  I'll be out next week again.

12. Unseen troublemaker: GREMLIN.  Also the model of a vehicle that was manufactured in the 1970s.


13. Garden of Eden creature: SERPENT.


18. Terminate: END.

22. Mobile's st.: ALA.  Mobile, Alabama is on the Gulf of Mexico.  The George Washington Tunnel on I-10 runs under the Mobile River, then emerges to join the bridge that spans the Bay of Mobile.  The tunnel is a bottleneck on the interstate and there is always a long line of traffic of cars waiting to go through the tunnel.  Interesting fact about Mobile: the first Mardi Gras in the Americas was held in Mobile.



25. El Pollo __: southwestern restaurant chain: LOCO.  El Pollo Loco is a California-based chain.  I was about to say I had never heard of this restaurant, but our local paper recently announced the company is expanding in south Louisiana.


26. Glorify: EXALT.

27. One of the Musketeers: ATHOS.  The Three Musketeers is a French historical adventure novel by Alexandre Dumas.  It was written in 1844 and is on my TBR list.  The novel, which is set in the 1620s, recounts the adventures of a young man named d'Artagnan who befriends Athos, Porthos and Aramis, who are the musketeers.  [Name # 7.]


29. Summer sign: LEO.  Hi, Leo III!

31. Flight part: STAIR.


32. "Fresh Air" airer: NPR.  Fresh Air is a radio talk show hosted by Terry Gross.  She has been hosting the show since 1975.  [Name # 8.]


33. Small crown: TIARA.  Apparently in the British royal family there are strict rules about wearing Tiaras.


35. Tennis shoes: SNEAKERS.


36. Birthday present: GIFT.

37. Caribou cousin: ELK.  What's the difference between an Elk and a Caribou?

38. Kevin of "Yellowstone": COSTNER.  Kevin Costner (né Kevin Michael Costner; b. Jan. 18, 1955) plays the patriarch in the television show Yellowstone.  [Name # 9.]


42. Rely (on): DEPEND.

43. Commotion: ADO.

45. Human being: PERSON.



46. Major thoroughfare: ARTERY.

47. Pamper: COSSET.  Not a Tuesday word.



49. Toys on strings: YOYOs.



50. Bite hard: CHOMP.

51. Opening setting of "Madagascar": ZOO.


54. Squabble: SPAT.

56. Dove's sound: COO.

58. "Death on the Nile" actress Gadot: GAL.  Gal Gadot (b. Apr. 30, 1985) is an Israeli actress.  [Name # 10.]


59. "I understand now!": AHA!


Here's the Grid:



חתולה





34 comments:

Subgenius said...

I must admit the reveal came as something of a surprise. I wasn’t expecting anything quite as exotic as “yoga poses.” Other than that, I didn’t have too much trouble with this puzzle. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

No problems today. Even with the plethora of names, the perps came through. Thanx, Kevin, Mangesh, and Hahtoolah. (Spent way too much time wondering how "an" or "at" could be a house pet.)

Wilbur Charles said...

CANA is an interesting gospel story with the admonition:"Keep this under your hats!". Conservative Jewry had levels of participation marked by Wine vs Water(Rules ARE Rules).

Sheldon's OP-ART Doppler Effect costume

CSO to Picard at Hiking(sites:TRAILS)

ENRON's basic problem was selling energy like pork bellies

Betsy started doing YOGA for her back. Catholic Church in some dioceses frowns on it

WC

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR with no erasure. DNK RYAN, ATHOS, COSSET, or anything about Madagascar, and only sorta knew GAL because of crosswords.

I can rerun that clip for AGONY in my memory, but didn't know that WC would comment on it in yesterday's discussion.

GTE bought a fleet of GREMLINs. Cute little cars and fun when they were new, but after a couple of years they couldn't get out of our basement parking garage until they had warmed up. Going up a ramp the motor would balk, backfire up the carburetor, and die. And this wasn't in Minneapolis, it was Santa Monica.

I ate at El Pollo Loco many times when I worked in Mission Hills, CA. The largely-Hispanic population had a lot of great ethnic restaurants, although when I ate there they sometimes had to go find the employee who spoke English to take my order. (Not at El Pollo Loco, though. Lots of Anglo customers there.)

I meant to mention yesterday that a large sport fishing boat moored near one of my favorite restaurants is named "Tater Tot". Can't imagine paying that much money for a boat and hanging that moniker on it.

Thanks to Mangesh and Kevin (not COSTNER) for the fun, Monday-easy puzzle, and to Ha2la for the colorful tour.

Anonymous said...

Breezed through this one - today's and yesterday's puzzle felt like they could be swapped to me. Agree about COSSET not being Tuesday fill - this might've worked better with TEA SET at 47D instead (and WOO/WERE instead of ZOO/ZERO, though I do like the inclusion of ZOO given the theme).

I think this is the first time I've seen two unabbreviated trig functions in the same puzzle.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends.

Apropos of 31-Across, here is today's QOD: I don’t know why my brain has kept all the words to the Gilligan’s Island theme song and deleted everything about triangles. ~ Jeff Foxworthy (b. Sept. 6, 1958), American comedian

inanehiker said...

This was a fun run- good to get the brain cells firing before getting back to work after the holiday weekend.

Seeing all the animals, I wasn't sure what the theme would be - but YOGA POSES it is! I agree that PIGEON is a good one for stretching you out.
I had one erasure with AVENUE before ARTERY for the major thoroughfare
ORE-IDA has gotten a lot of product placement lately!

Thanks Susan for the entertaining blog and Kevin & Mangesh for the puzzle!

KS said...

FIR. The reveal was the last to fall, and not being a yoga person, at first made no sense. Perps did not help with Gal and cosset remaining blank for too long. And then I saw yoga, an aha moment!

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

What’s not to like about a theme focusing on animals, especially a funny-punny one. And, echoing Subgenius, the reveal was a big surprise, totally unexpected. Maybe a Yoga enthusiast (Lucina) would have caught on to those poses immediately, but I thought the animal names were just repurposed as puns. No w/os and only one unknown, Ryan, as clued. Cosset may not be a Tuesday word, but I like it, though I doubt that I’ve ever used it. HG got a big CSO at Omaha.

Thanks, Mangesh and Kevin, for a Tuesday treat and thanks, Hahtoolah, for the cartoons and commentary, both leading to smiles and enjoyment. Hurry back.

We’re being drenched with much needed rain. No flooding in my neighborhood but I’m not sure about some outlying areas.

Have a great day.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Str8forward, easier than yesterday, nothing really LOCO, thought the theme was birds (pigeon, eagle) or felines (lion, cat) but no.

Had REORG a while back, still don't like it...
....the AGONY of defeet...bunions?

link Twilight Zone "GREMLIN"...OK whodidn't jump out of their chair as a kid when Shattner opened that airplane window shade!!....

"Mobile st." I thought referred to a gas station at first..🙄. "LEGAL EAGLEs" 1986 film with Robert Redford, Debra Winger..
Saw "Madagascar" with the grandkids so gnu it was a ZOO.

Paintings no longer grouped together...OPART
"____ you shall find"....SECANT
Them that skulk...SNEAKERS
It's quite obvious that actress Gadot is a ___ GAL
Safe only to dive in the pool's ____ DEPEND
Expectorated....SPAT

Thanks for the laughs H2LH.

Work week going by fast, it's already Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

Finished this speed workout in 3:36, which has to be near my record (that assumes I had recorded my prior times).

I agree with the other that "cosset" and the trig functions seemed out-of-place.

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Kevin and Mangesh, and Hahtoolah.
I finished in good time with one inkblot, but arrived here to discover that I FIWed.
I somehow entered Oneida instead of OREIDA (who needs silverware to eat their fries?!), and did not notice the error in ARCSINE. TSK, TSK.

My inkblot was to correct my spelling of NIECE. It follows the I before E rule, but I always question it.

I smiled to see NYT in the LAT CW.
We had SPAT crossing SPLAT (I love that Onomatopoeiac word!).
COSSET is a great word too.

We don’t have that LOCO restaurant here, but perps were friendly.
There were several Canadian disadvantage clues today; RFK perped, I have learned PAC, ADA.

POOH has a Canadian origin.
WhiteRiverOntario

Wishing you all a great day.

CrossEyedDave said...

Midlife Yoga Poses

Monkey said...

Smooth puzzle. No problems.

Is it considered cheating to solve the reveal first? I did so this morning so got the asanas immediately.

Monkey said...

I started doing yoga with the Lilias, Yoga and You TV show in the 70s. She was a great teacher.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Again, I solved the puzzle early this morning then retreated to bed. If only I didn't wake up so early!

It was quick and fun with a ZOO full of animals like LION, EAGLE, PIGEON, ALPACA, SERPENT, ANT, ELK, CAT.

ARCSINE only reminds me of the miserable time I suffered in algebra I and II and trigonometry. They were all required classes for some reason.

Yea! YOGA POSES!

My great YOGA teacher was Cookie at Scottsdale Community College. Her successor was not.

Nice CSO to Gary at OMAHA.

Have a lovely day, everyone!


Misty said...

Fun Tuesday puzzle, many thanks Mangesh and Kevin. And I always enjoy your commentary, Hatoolah, thanks for that too.

I love animals, and so these theme animals were a real treat, the LION, the EAGLE, the PIGEON, and the CAT. But they were not alone! They were joined by an ALPACA and a SERPENT, and a GREMLIN, maybe all of them living in a ZOO. Oh, and let's not forget LEO.

Wonder if ALI has a NIECE who might enjoy going to the Grand Ole OPRY, where she could maybe see a performance with some OP ART, while CHOMPing on some OREIDA French fries? I guess that would DEPEND if she's a PERSON who likes opera?

Have a great day, everybody.



Malodorous Manatee said...

Thanks Hahtoolah for a humorous re-entry from a two-driving-days-out-of-four long weekend. 800+ miles on each of those days has left me a bit tuckered out.

Subgenius said...

Misty, your "thematic summaries" are always a treat. I look forward to them just as much as I look forward to Owen's poems, or CrossEyed Dave and Ray-0-Sunshine's witticisms!

sumdaze said...

FIR... and quickly. I have been practicing yoga for 22 years and taught yoga for 10 of those years but the puzzle filled so quickly I neither noticed the animals nor connected them to YOGA POSES until the reveal. Perhaps my lesson for today is to remember to slow down, breathe, and be present in the moment!

Kevin Christian said...

Hi, this is Kevin Christian. Mangesh Ghogre and I made today's puzzle.

Thank you everyone for solving and for your kind words. It's always nice to see that people do actually solve the puzzle.

The theme idea for this one was Mangesh's idea. Originally we had hoped this would come out on the International Day of Yoga which was June 21, but we missed that date.

There were lots of other options here, such as COW and COBRA, but I like the ones we included.

Take care. - KevinC

sumdaze said...

What Subgenius @ 1:03 said
...and also the way Anonymous uses each day's theme to say how he completed the puzzle. Ex. from yesterday: "Took 4:34 to SOlve." You are very clever, Anonymous!

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

FIW with a misspelling of TONYA/RYAN in 8-down and 21-across

I too was surprised seeing YOGA POSES as the reveal - PIGEON pose is one I am not familiar with, nor EAGLE, nor LION, nor CAT. Downward DOG, CHILD's pose, and Warriors I II and III are the only ones I think I've tried - my body doesn't do YOGA very well ;^)

Thanks Susan, Kevin, and Mangesh

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

The real 'POSEr this morning: "What's the theme?" A look back at the solve gave me the AHA.
Thanks Mangesh & Kevin for the Tuesday fun. Thanks for dropping by The Corner, Kevin.

Fun expo, Hahtoolah - I loved the 'crafty' SERPENT comic.

WO: My pen went faster than brain at NYc
ESPs: PAPER LION, RYAN, CANA, GAL, COSSET(?)
Fav: GREMLIN made me think of this Bugs Bunny 'toon[8:27] (Gremlin has a YO-YO @7:55)
//Ray-O: I forgot about The Twilight Zone Gremlin - yes, I did jump!

AGONY of defeat - I wonder if the under 40 crowd even knows of 'Wide World of Sports' (and totally misses the joke in Blazing Saddles).

From the other day: I was remiss... Thanks for sharing the photos, JD. Nice to hear from you.

Devin Stone has a fun YouTube channel called LEGAL EAGLE. Here's his lawyerly break-down of My Cousin Vinny [25:40]

Lucina - maybe the classes are taught so one can learn if they have an affinity for the subject. Being good at Algebra, Geometry, Trig, & Calc -- I was finally not a 'poor excuse for a student.' :-)


I'll echo the praises of our fellow-posters' daily 'extra offerings' - I always look forward to reading 'em.

Cheers, -T

unclefred said...

FIR in 12, Easier than yesterday's CW, thanx for that, MG&KC, and also for the clever clues. I hafta fess up SECANT and ARCSINE have long since left my head. Thanx, perps. I recognized the terms once in there, but it was up to Hahtoolah to 'splain them. I just buzzed through this CW, and am always amazed at how FAST some people can FIR a CW. Thanx Hahtoolah for your outstanding write-up; I always enjoy your cartoons. The solar company came today and installed my second Tesla Powerwall battery. They came mid-day, and had to shut down the whole system for hours, so I doubt there is enough sunlight left to fully charge both batteries. Tomorrow will be the first true test of the entire system.....unless it rains.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-No problem even with Coogler and Cosset
-Hi, Susan, I like the “culture” of living 20 minutes from OMAHA.
-Even ALI had misgivings about how he would have done against Mike Tyson in his prime
-NOT AGAIN! Huskers aren’t getting blown out but they keep losing close games.
-The chicken restaurant in Better Call Saul, was Los Pollos Hermanos
-We don’t really exchange GIFTS any more.

Ol' Man Keith said...

DR: Sorry, no diagonals today.

ZERO: I always thought "Love" was used in tennis as a point of sarcasm.
As in, "Sure, you're still in the game, Lord Love ya!"

I hadn't realized my HS was so progressive. They didn't require trig or calc. You could take 'em or leave 'em: geometry was as far as I had to go.
~ OMK

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Thank you Mangesh & Kevin for a fun & fast puzzle. Hahtoolah, thanks for the info and cartoons, several of which made me laugh out loud.

No unknowns that didn't perp in well. Never tried trig so SECANT & ARCSINE were DNKs.

Tried YOGA once while pregnant and my husband had to come get me out of the lotus position. Never again. Have learned some of the lingo but none of those in the puzzle and I'm not LION. No problem with today's fills.

Brother had a Gremlin -- first new car he ever bought. It lived up to its name.

Lucina said...

AnonT:
My affinity was for English and Literature, and I excelled in those classes. Math made sense to me only when I had to teach it and therefore, explain it. Obviously any explanation given while I was a student just went over my head.

TokenCreek said...

I have all the episodes of "Twilight Zone" on DVD. DW FORBIDS me from playing that one !!!

Anonymous said...

Hi.. Mangesh here. Loved to see folks enjoyed the puzzle. As Kevin mentioned, we wanted this to come on June 21 but anyway .. we r happy to see it out finally. Thanks

Wilbur Charles said...

-T, yep the Algebras were a snap

Lucina said...

Mangesh, thank you for posting! Your puzzle was a good challenge and I hope to see another one of yours again.

Geometry made more sense to me and I liked it and had good grades in that.

Anonymous T said...

Mangesh - Thanks for stopping by The Corner. Play with us - between you and VidWan (where is he?). you can school us.

WC - I was talking with SIL (a HS Science Teacher (many hats she wears, she does)), and she has an intermediate Physics class this fall. SI and simple math (Algebra) is a foreign language to some of her kids.
I said, "Tell them "Algebra is everything must balance on an '='" and they'll get it (maybe?).
SIL was way ahead of me and bemoaned one kid who just shuts down at the thought of numbers.

Lucina - It took years of being married to DW (now a PhD English) for me to finally 'get' the AHA in humanities/poetry [My Mistresses Eyes are Nothing like...] 'cuz, every time I had to write a paper on 'what does this mean to you?,' I'd stutter, "Well, just what it said... She has weird eyes & lips."

DW explained "She's homely but I love her."
Imagery is a learned skill :-)

Misty - Sunday, DW found your Dubliners Dissertation on my bookshelf...
She snapped a photo and texted her friends: "Another reason he's sexy."
I don't know what that means but, hell yeah!, Thanks!

Cheers, -T