google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday September 18, 2022 Lynn Lempel

Advertisements

Sep 18, 2022

Sunday September 18, 2022 Lynn Lempel

Theme: "Game Day" - Each common phrase is clued as if it's game-related.

28. Prompt to a Twister player?: PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN.

45. Encouragement to a Yahtzee player?: GET THIS STRAIGHT.

69. Sad request to one's Hangman opponent?: GIVE ME A HAND.

97. Advice to a checkers player?: JUMP AT THE CHANCE.

114. Prayer for a chess player?: GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

3D. With 73-Down, assertion to one's Scrabble opponent?: IT'S YOUR WORD.

73D. See 3-Down: AGAINST MINE.

I don't remember blogging a Lynn Lempel Sunday puzzles. She's called "The Queen of Mondays". Her grids are always super clean and lively. She's been making puzzles since 1970s. Incredible!




Across:

1. Interpretation: SPIN. Guess how many 4-letter entries in this puzzle?

5. Left on board?: PORT. Ship.

9. Smartphone array: APPS.

13. Church reading: PSALM.

18. Falafel bread: PITA.

19. Civil rights leader Medgar: EVERS. His wife is a civil rights activist as well.


21. Vault: LEAP.

22. Submit for judging: ENTER.

23. Bind with a cord: LASH. Not familiar with this meaning.

24. Piece of history: RELIC.

25. Gumbo pod: OKRA. Tasty with bonito flakes.


26. Lines on GPS displays: ROADS.

27. Vague amount: ANY.

31. Over the speed limit: TOO FAST.

33. Glove material: LATEX.

34. Half-baked, as a plan: INSANE.

37. Impulse: URGE.

38. Bursts: POPS.

40. Former NBA star Ming: YAO. His wife was a basketball player also.



42. Figs.: NOS.

43. Correspond: AGREE.

50. One in a dory: ROWER. 52. Dory's companion: NEMO. Clue echo.

51. Biblical preposition: UNTO.

53. "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" co-star: JOLIE.  And 65. "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" co-star: PITT.

54. Psychology 101 subject: EGO.

55. Brief times, briefly: SECS.

57. Coarse: RUDE.

59. Heavenly octet: PLANETS.

61. Benchmark: NORM.

63. "Salt Fat __ Heat": Samin Nosrat cookbook: ACID. Super popular.



67. D'backs, on a sports ticker: ARI.

68. Actor Alan who hosts the "Clear+Vivid" podcast: ALDA.

72. Microwaves: ZAPS.

76. "Summertime Sadness" singer Lana __ Rey: DEL.

78. Equally matched: EVEN.

79. Climate change sci.: ECOL.

80. Entertainment industry grand slam, for short: EGOT. Total 17 people have achieved this honor.

81. Diminished: RECEDED.

85. Vegas calculation: ODDS.

87. Arborist's patient: TREE.

89. Atmosphere: AIR.

90. One way to think: ALOUD.

91. Prosecco kin: ASTI. Both sparkling wines.

93. Trim, perhaps: EDIT.

95. Originate: ARISE.

100. Connective tissue: SINEW.

101. Sports drink suffix: ADE.

102. Sculling need: OAR.

103. Botanist Gray and actor Butterfield: ASAs. Here's Butterfield.

104. Crown array: GEMS.

105. __ opener: SEASON.

108. Like the River Shannon: IRISH.

111. Forced (on): FOISTED.

118. Damage: MAR.

119. Geometry surface: PLANE.

121. "A __ technicality!": MERE.

122. Real doozies: LULUS.

123. Globetrotter's need: VISA.

124. Knuckle or knee: JOINT.

125. Prune, before drying: PLUM. Prune is French for "plum".

126. Singer Ronstadt: LINDA. Argyle really liked her.


127. Turn over __ leaf: A NEW.

128. Some TVs: SONYS.

129. Fed. IDs: SSNS.

130. Over: PAST.

131. Spill the beans: TELL.

Down:

1. Bug-hitting-the-windshield sound: SPLAT.

2. Yamaha with a bench seat: PIANO.

4. "Not gonna happen": NAH.

5. Read: PERUSE.

6. 1980 Olympics track medalist Steve: OVETT.



7. Count (on): RELY.

8. The Jonas Brothers, e.g.: TRIO.

9. In flight: ALOFT.

10. Black tea: PEKOE.

11. Sudden burst of emotion: PAROXYSM. New word to me.



12. Quarrel: SPAT.

13. Woman on Argentina's 100 peso note: PERON.

14. Bamboozles: SNOWS.

15. Slanted: AT AN ANGLE.

16. Spearheaded: LED.

17. "__ America": 2020 miniseries about the ERA movement: MRS.



20. Artist who works with a chisel: SCULPTOR.

28. On-call devices: PAGERS.

29. Impetuous: RASH.

30. French fashion giant: DIOR. I just don't see beauty in this Dior bag. We also have 45. Italian fashion giant: GUCCI.



32. Priceless?: FREE.

35. Like two 2015 Max Scherzer games: NO-HIT. I bet  this is Patti's clue. She's a Mets fan.



36. Will of "Blue Bloods": ESTES.

38. Thoughtful: PENSIVE.

39. Classical pianist Alice Sara __: OTT. Hey, a new clue angle.



41. Resting on: ATOP.

43. Sports stadium: ARENA.

44. Nikolai who wrote "The Overcoat": GOGOL.



46. __ pale ale: INDIA.

47. Do a slow burn: SEETHE.

48. Allowing access: AJAR.

49. Charge, in a way: IONIZE. Electrical charge.

56. Philadelphia NFLer: EAGLE.

58. Overturn: UPEND.

60. Chili scoop: LADLE. Boomer likes chili with beans.



62. Fabricated: MADE UP.

64. Dedicate, as time: DEVOTE.

66. Strategic steps: TACTICS.

70. First-aid dispenser: MEDIC. Took the VA home care nurse three tries to get Boomer's blood last week.

71. Opposite of sur: NORTE.

74. Grace under fire: POISE.

75. Spread around: STREW.

77. Medieval Icelandic collection: EDDA. Prose Edda and Poetic Edda.

81. Hindu royalty: RAJAS. Hindi for "king".

82. Give the slip: ELUDE.

83. "Huh?": COME AGAIN.

84. Survey results, e.g.: DATA.

86. Beachcombing prize: SEASHELL. I saw my first seashell in 1994. I went to Qingdao (Tsingtao) for a job interview.


88. Enter gingerly: EASE IN.

92. Dries up: SHRIVELS.

94. Strands in a lab: DNA.

96. Wheel parts: RIMS.

98. Lots and lots: TONS. So many glitches from the constructor crew who have been repairing the driveways in our association. We lost power for long hours as they fractured the power cables. Twice. Then they hit a gas line on Thursday.

99. __ out: resolve: HASH.

104. Attacks: GOES AT.

106. Jazz saxophonist Rollins: SONNY.



107. "Waiting for Lefty" dramatist Clifford: ODETS.

109. TV Land fare: RERUN.

110. Agenda entries: ITEMS.

111. Extended conflicts: FEUDS.

112. Stand for something?: EASEL. For canvas.

113. Southern twang: DRAWL.

115. Roadie's vanload: AMPS.

116. Witticism: QUIP.

117. Pinkie-side arm bone: ULNA.

119. Comfy loungewear: PJS.

120. Lav: LOO.

123. Napa Valley tub: VAT.

 

We had a challenging week. Boomer had another fall. Had to call 911 to get him off the floor. His hemoglobin count continues to be very low. We're going to the VA tomorrow for a blood transfusion.

C.C.

24 comments:

Subgenius said...

A clever and fun puzzle, which I solved in good time. Certain unknown proper names added spice to the puzzle, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle. FIR, so I’m happy.

Anonymous said...

Very smooth solve. The only crossing I didn’t know was OVETT/EVERS (the clue on PORT right above that was my favorite). I thought SONNY/ODETS would cause me trouble but that’s because I had RAJAH for RAJAS (is RAJAH even a legit spelling?) and I didn’t see SEASON right away. I also slowed down a bit around 45A but only because I wanted to fit DICE in there somehow.

Sundays usually end with me having to look all over the grid for a mistake, but not this time.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Thought SUR was French "on," so what is French "off?" Oh, it's Spanish. D'oh. My HDTVS morphed into SONYS. Do you think it's weird that Orange PEKOE is black tea? OK, I've delayed long enough. Managed to work myself into a DNF with RAJAH and DONNY. That gave me a HEAD ON opener. Looked weird, but I let it stand. Bzzzzzt. Thanx, Lynn and C.C. (Hope this week goes better than last week. Maybe the blood transfusion will perk Boomer up. Hope he wasn't injured in that fall.)

LINDA : I'm also a fan of Linda Ronstadt. She was so versatile -- rock, country, '30s torch songs with Nelson Riddle's orchestra, emotive pop songs with Aaron Neville, Mexican folk music with a conjunto band, etc. Along with Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton, she was an integral part of Trio. It's sad that Parkinson's stole her singing voice and ended her career.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing my wag at Natick EdERS x OdETT. zane-->ASAS, evade-->ELUDE, work-->HASH, and SCULPTeR-->SCULPTOR (UNTIE!). Too many unknowns to list; far too much showbiz crap (as usual). But it really was a party puzzle, with INDIA pale ale, JOINT, HASH, and ACID. Sounds like my lunchbox when I was in my 20s.

A half-baked plan isn't necessarily INSANE, it's just not well thought out or incomplete. Usually caused by inadequate input and review; often encountered in "secret sauce" projects where the number of people "in the know" must be limited. Can also be caused by execs who don't know that although they can't afford doing it right, they WILL afford doing it over.

I'll bet you 100 pennies that Lynn is responsible for "on-call devices" for PAGERS. Patti may have seen one in a museum.

FLN: -T OF COURSE you were into alt.music.rush. Can't believe I out-nerded our Alpha Nerd. 'Course I was about 50 and you were about 7 at the time.

Thanks to Lynn for the fun, if pop-cult overloaded, puzzle. And thanks to CC for the review and Boomer update. Sounds like he didn't break anything this time, and that's encouraging.

KS said...

FIW. Had rajah instead of rajas, and couldn't suess out "season opener". Also didn't know Sonny Rollins.

billocohoes said...

I think my fastest Sunday ever. Only crosses needed for "Y" for "I" in PAROXISM, and ..HAND for ...HEAD.

Yes, Anon @5:51, RAJAh is a spelling variant of Hindi for "king", especially in Maharajah, "High King"

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I was surprised to see Lynn’s byline because I don’t remember ever seeing her on a Sunday, and she didn’t disappoint, either. There is much to like about this puzzle starting with the cute and fun theme, and continuing on with the spot-on themers (my favorites being Jump At The Chance and the poignant and timely God Save The Queen), the minimal, for a Sunday, proper names and nouns, the extremely low three letter word count, 18, if I caught them all, and the oh-so close Pangram with only a B missing, if my eyes didn’t deceive me. Usually, it’s the less common J, Q, X, Z that are missing, not the popular B. All adding up to, in a nutshell, to quote CC, a “super clean and lively grid.” I liked seeing Gucci/Dior and Pitt/Jolie, both frenemies, loosely. My Evita morphed into Peron and perps solved the unknown Ovett, Gogol, and Ott, as clued.

Thanks, Lynn, for a truly enjoyable solve, a rare treat for me on a Sunday and thanks, CC, for a clear and concise look into Lynn’s work and accomplishments. Four letter words go right over my head, so I have no idea how many there were today, but my nemesis, as everyone knows, is the dreaded 3’s, probably because the majority are abbreviations, prefixes or suffixes, acronyms, initialisms, etc., not real words, therefore sticking out like a sore thumb. Sorry to hear about Boomer’s fall and hope he wasn’t injured.

FLN

Wilbur, I respectfully plead the Fifth. 😉

Have a great day.

CrossEyedDave said...

Game day?

(Warning, spoilers ahead...)

If you get the chance, (currently streaming on Netflix)
Watch the Michael Douglas movie "The Game."
(Best comment splainin it I have seen so far is)
("It's a total mindf**ck, great movie...")

Synopsis:
Douglas, rich guy, hates his life, and everyone in it, who's father committed suicide by jumping off the family estates roof when 43, and he is contemplating the same, gets a birthday present from his brother. An invitation to "The Game."
Driving home, he approaches the estate, to see a man jump from the roof.
It turns out to be a dummy dressed as a clown...

how it begins (clip)

how it ends (clip)

In between,
You will spend an hour and a half watching how a man can be driven mad, and yet, taught how to appreciate life...

Anonymous said...

A nice change from yesterday’s mind twister. I don’t time my solves since I print Sunday puzzles but it pretty quick (for me at least) probably between 30-45 minutes

Lucina said...

Hola!

Thank you, Lynn and C.C.! Rarely do I finish a Sunday puzzle before going to church! Wow!

This one had very few unknown names (OTT, OVETT) but I knew most of the others. They did not ELUDE me.

How appropriate to see GOD SAVE THE QUEEN and I hope she is with God and enjoying eternal peace.

Many years ago there was a movie called EL NORTE about the dangers of traveling north to the U.S.A. from Mexico and Central America.

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!


Husker Gary said...

Musings
-RAJAH/RAJAS was a speed bump. It’s amazing how many names can be made from _ONNY
-SPIN doctor – “This is what [enter a politician’s name] meant to say”
-RELIC – We cleaned the garage yesterday and they turned into junk
-My GPS is four years old and so it does not show new ROADS in fast-growing Omaha
-My friend was going way TOO FAST last Thursday and got pulled over by a small-town policeman. The twenty-something officer saw four gray-haired men with golf clubs in the back, was very polite and just said, “Slow down”
-I learned here that “Spill the beans” is now “Stir the tea”
-SCULPTOR – “I just get a piece of marble and chip away anything that doesn’t look like my subject”. Yeah, right…
-GUCCI and DIOR – I have never bought a garment because of its label, let alone pay many dollars more for the privilege
-I STREW much less after 55 years of marriage

Monkey said...

Even though I didn’t know many of the games mentioned, I got the answers anyway. All in all a fun puzzle. I too had RAJAH so couldn’t get season. Now we need a puzzle with LONG LIVE THE KING at its center.

Be careful looking for seashells where you put your foot down, I was doing that many years ago and I stepped on a broken bottle. Someone, a nurse, gave me a hand and took me to the hospital. The 10 stitches on the sole of my foot are not a happy memory.

I’m so sorry CC and Boomer are going through more problems. I wish them the best.

Lucina said...

C.C.
I forgot to wish better health for Boomer and hope that he can improve. I know how bad those falls can be having had a nasty one myself that landed me in the hospital and caused me to miss a flight. I'll remember him in prayer today.

Irish Miss said...

We haven’t heard from Ray O in several days. Hope all is well and that he’s just preoccupied enjoying the change of seasons at the lake.

Kelly Clark said...


Fun Sunday from the QUEEN of Mondays -- thanks, Lynn!

C.C. and Boomer, I'm so sorry about the fall. Prayers continue, of course.

Anonymous said...

Edward Duarte in LA here. Nice to see my great-aunt 13D Evita Duarte Peron in the x-word again.

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk say...

God Speed Boomer & C.C.. These falls are NOT good. We're all pulling for both of you to find peace as you deal with more obstacles. My heart goes out.

Jinx - LOL re: USENET. And, hey, I was 20 :-)

HG - The SPIN Doctors [4:33] were a flash-in-the-pan in the '90s.

For the record... I do appreciate some Linda Ronstadt, D-O.
//song selection is not what I think of you :-)

Play with y'all tomorrow.

Cheers, -T

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle. The theme gimmick was fun.

Okay, I'll guess how many 4-letter entries there are in this puzzle. 37. I'm not going to count them.

Good wishes to you all and special prayers for Boomer and C.C.

Michael said...

HG @ 12:16 --

What's even worse about the various label products, is that we are paying them big dollars, just to advertise for them.

On 105A, did anyone else put down "SERIES" opener?

Monkey said...

That’s quite a famous great aunt you have Edward Duarte in LA.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Enjoyed the challenge, Lynn, thanks! Always like your expos, C.C.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN was so appropriate for this week, as others have mentioned. What a lot of squabbling among the royals as reported by the paparazzi! Hope it isn't all true. Anyway the QUEEN has been saved from having to listen to it all.

Took a lot of WAGs to fill this. Not Evita, but PERON. Didn't know a lot of the proper names, except did know YAO, ALDA, EVERS, & LINDA. I'm also a Linda Ronstadt fan, but didn't know her until recent years. I Like her duets with Aaron Neville.

So sorry Boomer had a bad week. Hope the transfusion strengthens him. Prayers for you both.

Anonymous said...

Fun challenge today...clever theme!! Only peeked once for a center cross. Looking forward to Lynn's next entry!!

Wilbur Charles said...

My favorite Ronstadt
I looked at Max Sherzer clue and went ??? I thought he was a physicist. V8 can hit after a few perps like INSANE
As I recall he pitched for Tigers too.

BTW, CC, I have "1978" about the Pennant races. Would Boomer like it after I finish?

TOLSTOY yesterday GOGOL today. FYODOR Dostoevsky next?

They were Corpsmen in usmc. We were out on a hike(forced match) and upon hearing about MLK's assassination we had to cancel. They needed every available Corpsman in DC for the riots

Re. NORTE, Sur. Portuguese not French(on top vs dessous

I think RAJAh is actually correct(as billocoes pointed out)

I used to carry a PAGER. Got paid for it

IM, I thought A pangram was possible. No B? Really

Thankfully smooth solve. On errand duty including finding a home for our last sheep. She's got 5 new friends

WC

Cross@words said...

Re 59A, is Earth in the heavens? Or is the count of eight done before Pluto’s demotion?