google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 - Lisa Senzel & Christina Iverson

Advertisements

Sep 14, 2022

Wednesday, September 14, 2022 - Lisa Senzel & Christina Iverson



3. *Figure often depicted with a scythe and an hourglass: FATHER TIME. I thought GRIM REAPER for a second.

7. *Pakistani-born chef who was posthumously honored with a James Beard Award: FATIMA ALI. I know of the James Beard Award (Food!) but not her until I saw a picture.  I watch a lot of the food-channel.

 
FATIMA ALI (8/8/1989 - 1/25/2019)

11. *Serious software problem: FATAL ERROR. In Windows, that's the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death); *NIX's kernels just panic.

53. *Secretive email option: BLIND CARBON COPY.  OK, Cornerites, someone's gotta know what you call words/phrases that reference obsolete technology (that no longer exist) in new applications.  This isn't quite the same as calling a CD a record as vinyl still exists.  Sunday, I looked for over an hour - my Google-fu was weak.

68. Diet that's high in fats and low in carbs, as illustrated by parts of the answers to the starred clues: KETO.  KETO is the worst diet in the world because everyone who's on it tells you about it ad-nauseum. 

An early peek at the grid visually illustrates the 'high' FATs and 'low' CARBs:



Across:
1. Spanish tennis great Nadal, familiarly: RAFA.

5. Upgrade, as machinery: REFIT. RE-TOOL was too long.

10. Uncertain: IFFY.

14. Cabbage buy: HEAD. Thinking this was a trap, I thought: "You can buy anything with money/cabbage."

15. Glazer of "The Afterparty": ILANA. No idea. The Afterparty is on AppleTV+. I only know Ilana as part of the Upright Citizen's Brigade improv troupe.

Apple's The Afterparty announcement


16. Skating commentator Lipinski: TARA. Perps. Tara's WikiP page.

17. Analogy words: IS TO. An SAT staple until 2005.

18. Bridal path flower piece: PETAL. PE___. Is it PEDDLE|PEDAL|PETAL?

19. Stash, as gear: STOW. The dog ate his stash, man.

20. Japanese drama: NOH. Perps -- I should know this by now.  Here's a link to PBS LearningMedia explaining.

21. Cookbook contents: RECIPES. Does anyone follow these to a (31d) TEE?

23. Author Rand: AYN. Atlas Shrugged, "Meh."

24. Genre for composer Terence Blanchard: OPERA. Easy WAG w/ the P in place.

Terence Blanchard

26. Informal "You're oversharing": TMI. Too Much Information (about your KETO diet).

27. Caramel candies: ROLOS.


 

29. Like some dangerous isotopes: RADIOACTIVE. XwordInfo says this is 1st-time fill (really?). Time for a musical interlude:


32. Curry of the NBA: SETH. I'll let hoops-fans comment.

34. Bike part: BRAKE. Car part, caboose part, ...

35. Quintet for most starfish: ARMS.  In no particular order:



38. Prefix for a lifesaving "Pen": EPI
In the Army, they gave us training on using some kind of self-injecting needles in case of chemical attack. They told us to be careful when hitting our thigh 'cuz the force of the needle could break a bone. After injection, and under whatever stress we were in, we had to bend the needle of the injector and put it in our breast pocket. And, if only one needle was bent, another soldier finding you could give you the other (of the 3) doses. I'm not sure The Army thought this one all the way through.

39. Not so big: SMALLER.

41. Knock: RAP. I won't knock this clue.

42. Try to hit: AIM AT. The chin with a left-hook. RAP! - not so big-man now, eh?

44. Tell it like it isn't: LIE.

45. Speed skater Ohno: APOLO. Mostly perps until I remembered him from past puzzles.

APOLO


47. Act parts: SCENES. ACT I, Scene II: OMK comes on stage...

49. Past the point of caring: OVER IT. If the play goes into Act V, I'm out.

50. Michelle of "Crazy Rich Asians": YEOH. Perps.

Oh, I recognize her!

 
52. Neighborhood: AREA. "I was in the [...] and thought I'd stop by."

53. [See: theme] 

60. Uncommon: RARE. Boomer has those rare Baseball cards.

61. Assertion: CLAIM. Neither is necessarily fact...

62. Cookie used as a 12-Down topping: OREO. Right there -- solidified my hunch 12d was FROYO.

63. Admit frankly: AVOW. 'Tell it like it is' didn't fit.

64. Omit in speech: ELIDE. You're not Eluding, just sLIDEing [sic] a bit in speech.

65. Spreadsheet unit: CELL. Hands up: who can VLOOKUP cells in spreadsheets?

66. Soaks up the sun: TANS. If you TAN on high-FAT KETO, do you sizzle?

67. Calf-roping event: RODEO. There's more than roping at the annual Houston RODEO

68. [See: theme]

Down:
1. Safari herbivore: RHINO.

2. Fabulous writer?: AESOP. He of the fables.

3. [See: theme]

4. Hubbub: ADO.

5. Ready for picking: RIPE.

6. __ college: ELECTORAL. Because us normal folk aren't fit for direct elections?!?

7. [See: theme] All perps.

8. Up the creek: IN A PICKLE. Without a brine?

9. Story: TALE. A softer 'like it ain't.'

10. Part of FWIW: IT'S. For What It's Worth (I thought about getting you something nice for your birthday but...).

11. [See: theme]

12. Dessert from 16 Handles, familiarly: FROYO.  16 Handles is a FROzen YOgurt shop with 16 dispensers on the wall where you can "pull" your own flavor and then top with goodies.  They charge by your cup's weight.

13. Signs of boredom: YAWNS. Contagious, they are.

21. "Wicked!": RAD. Bodacious, Bro!

22. __ Lanka: SRI.

25. Sidelines cheer: RAH. Not OLE today.

28. Fertility lab cells: OVA. Plural.

30. Maker of the Deep Blue chess computer: IBM.  Big Blue went Deep to beat Kasparov. What I like about the computer's name is it (to me at least) invokes Douglas Adams' Deep Thought.

31. Workout top: TEE.

32. Bodies of water: SEAS.

33. __ fail: EPIC.

36. Timbuktu's land: MALI

Timbuktu


Timbuk 3


37. Predicament: SPOT. If you're in a predicament maybe someone will SPOT you a fiver? ;-)

39. Fine horse: STEED. Indeed.

40. Black bird: RAVEN. Nevermore.

43. "What's the latest?": ANY NEWS. Today it's "What's the 411?"

46. NBC symbol: PEACOCK. Proud as a...

NBC LOGOS


48. Abby Wambach's sport: SOCCER. WAG'd it with the S&C in place.

Abby Wombach


49. Juliet's cry: O ROMEO. He had onion breath [Little Rascals]

51. Winnie-the-Pooh greeting: HALLO. And TTFN upon leaving.

Not yet... 8 more c/a's to go.

52. Tolerate: ABIDE. The Dude does.

53. Sassy kid: BRAT. They're the wurst.

54. Chocolate __ cake: LAVA.

55. Waffle maker: IRON. Mini waffle irons were all the rage a few years ago.

56. "Kills bugs dead!" spray: RAID.

57. Hockey Hall of Famer Willie: OREE. Perps 'cuz ORR was too short (and he's Bobby, right?)

58. Hit, as with snowballs: PELT. Won't hurt if you're wearing pelt.

59. "Seize the day" initialism: YOLO. You Only Live Once.  Justification for doing something stupid / taking unnecessary risks.

Well, how'd you do on this diet?  Leave your comments below.

Every dieter I know

My recap:
WOs: N/A
ESPs: TARA, ILANA | FATIMA ALI, NOH, APOLO, YEOH, HALLO [spelling], OREE
Fav: I love the idiom IN A PICKLE and it reminds me of Arlo who didn't want one when he was in one with the 3'-tall cop.

Cheers, -T

38 comments:

Subgenius said...

I had few problems with this puzzle. Even the absolute Natick of Fatima Ali and Ileana fell to the most logical WAG (if that’s not a contradiction in terms). Anyway, FIR, so I’m Happy,

Subgenius said...

Actually, that should be “Ilana.” Darn autocorrect strikes again!

Anonymous said...

This was a Wednesday?! I just blitzed through the whole grid and my final time was close to yesterday's, if not slightly lower. I saw "diet" in the final Across clue and filled in KETO without even noticing that it was the revealer, I came here to see the theme. Nice visual concept, though I wonder if there's a grid-spanner choice that includes CARB without it being CARBON-related? "Carbs" are named after the element carbon after all, and none of the FAT strings were the word FAT itself. Maybe something to do with (CAR B)ATTERIES?

The scythe in the 3D clue also made me think GRIMREAPER but RAFA was a gimme so I knew it was wrong. The "hourglass" part helped me on that one.

Wilbur Charles said...

Fln, Gateau really does mean cake en francais. I guess I knew that but after 60 years forgot

In the ultimate irony we were just talking about BCC's fln(-1?)

This was one theme that went right by me. I looked for it too. I'll bet D-Otto spotted it right away

Speaking of RAFA… Who beat him in last week's US Open?

Re. SAT ?: C. And… Guacamole:Ugh
Woke:CHOKE

When did ROL(L)O drop the second L?

SETH is exhibit A of the ultimate effect of the 3pt shot rule

The Willie O'REE clue escaped me as I filled the Downs in SE. I do remember him coming up to the Bruins. 1958? A year before the Redsox were the last MLB team to integrate. Much like Robinson Willie acclimated much better in Montreal. Even Russell had racist issues in Boston

Congrats to Anon-T on write-up debut.. No Rush link?

WC

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

What a namefest. Didn't recognize FAT IMAALI, but it's a good name for a chef. Missed that CARB at the bottom. Does that make up for missing the FATs up top? As my old boss used to say, "Diet? I don't care what color it is." He died young of a heart attack. Thanx, Lisa, Christina, and the inimitable Anon-T.

EPI -- -T, back in my day the "pen" was a tube (think toothpaste) with a needle attached. You were supposed to jab it into your thigh and then push the drug out of the tube. Contained Atropine, as I remember.

TIMBUKTU -- Dw's uncle used to muse, "Breakfast in New York, lunch in Paris, luggage in Timbuktu."

PEACOCK -- I subscribe so I can stream NBC programs ad-free.

We're marching early this morning, because the generator guy is coming at 8 to adjust the valve clearances and see if my unit can be upgraded for online monitoring. It failed to start during a power outage last month. I had to go out and start it manually. I don't want to be outside trying to get it started when there's a hurricane raging around me.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing FROYl x ROLlS. Would have FeTIMAALI x ILeNA wrong too, but the puzzle theme saved me, for a change. But I guess right at YEOH x HALLO, and 2 of three Naticks is pretty good in my book.

I too wanted "retool".

We need the ELECTORAL COLLEGE for the same reason we need two senators per state: To keep the people living in a handful of large cities from turning the rest of the citizens into their serfs. Founding fathers were pretty smart.

At this point "Cookie" is all that;s needed for OREO. Other words are misdirection.

I thought of Picard at BRAKE. A couple of weeks ago I saw a guy on a bicycle stop at a stop sign, even though there wasn't traffic to force him to do so. First time for everything, I guess.

-T, the army not thinking things through? I worked with a guy who was airborne and stationed in Europe. His job was to be on an airplane and being dumped out with his buddies and a tactical nuke launcher. His training included getting away from the firing site as quickly as possible, because the enemy (USSR) would fire one back at their position. As though they could run far enough away to be safe from a nuke.

Thanks to Lisa and Christina for the fun, and to -T for another fine review. How about cluing "Friday before the 500" for CARB day. Every motorhead knows that important day at Indianapolis.

Anonymous said...

This one took 4:18 for me to trim the fat.

Like SubG, I had no idea who either "Ilana" or "Fatimaali" were or would be. Other than that, thought it was pretty easy for a Wednesday.

KS said...

FIR, but not smoothly. Lots of unknowns. Were it not for the theme, high in fat, would never have gotten Fatima Ali. And who is Willie Oree?

Big Easy said...

Working the puzzle top to bottom, I noticed the FATs immediately but not the CARB. No problems incurred on finishing today. As for diets and what they consist of it really doesn't matter if you eat sensibly. KETO, PALEO, Scarsdale, South Beach,...etc. Diabetics and those with food allergies eat sensibly.

KETO- I must have been on it yesterday as I grilled a filet mignon and ribeye to go with scalloped potatoes and salad.
FATHER TIME is creeping up on us all.
FATIMA ALI- complete unknown; all perps. The cross with the unknown ILANA was a WAG (AEIOU). Other unknowns were YEOH, HALLO, FROYO, OREE


Husker Gary- I see Mickey Joseph is the new Nebraska Head coach. He went to Shaw HS in Marrero, less than two miles from my house. My daughter was on the dance team and son-in-law was played linebacker on his team. His brother was a coach for the Denver Broncos.


Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I agree that this was easy for a Wednesday, despite many unknowns: Ilana, Fatima Ali, Froyo, Mali, and Oree. The mostly straightforward cluing and helpful perps led to a quick and smooth solve. I think my only w/o was Spoke/Brake, and I was already to plop in Out Of Luck before In A Pickle materialized through perps. One small nit would be the three Fats but only one lone Carb.

Thanks, Lisa and Christina, for a mid-week treat and thanks, Anon T, for another spot-on review. You wear the blogger mantle quite well! 🤗

Have a great day.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A very nice puzzle featuring a triple stack of 9’s from North Dakota down. I searched for way too long for CARBS at the end of the FAT…. Fills but see now it was all in one word. No matter.
-Proper nouns took care of themselves.
-I’ve heard Nadal more frequently referred to as RAFY
-TMI - …and then on the fifth hole…
-I don’t watch or care about the NBA but know of Seth’s older brother Steph Curry
-This NASA guy now knows the difference between APOLO and APOLLO
-Yes, Jinx, without the ELECTORAL COLLEGE, we in the Great Plains would truly be “fly over country”
-All you want to know about “From here to Timbuktu”
-I have to remember that “Wherefore art thou” means “Why” not “Where”
-Big Easy – Mickey has a lot to repair. It turns out is was not just about the losses.

Husker Gary said...

Nice job, Anon T!

inanehiker said...

Creative and visual theme - lots of fun to solve. I don't know if it was intentional - but given the placement I think it was - when the puzzle had a theme about the KETO diet that symmetrically placed down the middle was also RECIPES and SMALLER (for the portion sizes on a diet)

I didn't know FATIMA ALI- but since I solved top down - easy to put in FATIMA as that is the name of Mohammed's daughter and so is very common in those of the Islamic faith. The ALI then came by perps. Interesting that FATIMA is also well known in Catholic circles with a famous shrine Our Lady of FATIMA - I think its in Portugal- where apparitions of Mary were thought to have happened. It was sad to hear that the young woman died at age 29 of a sarcoma

Thanks AnonT and Lisa & Christina!

Lucina said...

Hola!

Nice job, Tony, thank you.

I filled this quite early this morning then returned to bed. As I recall, it was easy. I knew TARA but not ILANA but perps assisted.

Michelle YEOH is a very accomplished actress. I believe she played the mother in Crazy Rich Asians.

Time to check on baby.

Have a great day, everyone!

Husker Gary said...

Musings 3
-Irish and CED, I enjoyed going back and reading your comments from last night.
-The Green Gateau definitely has an eclectic menu and would not work in our little town of 30,000 but does wonderfully in Lincoln.
-I know “dead tree” journalism is in its death throes but I was just surprised to see the section I have sought out for 50 years is now radically different. The larger puzzle grid and clue fonts ain't all bad!
-Anon-T, I nominate “anachronism” for what we call CARBON COPIES and other outdated technologies.
-We're out the door for the Kimmel Orchards and the J. Sterling Morton mansion in Nebraska City.

Sherry said...

Names, names, names my downfall. Some with wags. Knew only two . Otherwise cool.

desper-otto said...

IM, maybe there's only one in order to be "low" in CARBs.

Monkey said...

DNF. I just could not get the northeast. I also didn’t notice the high fat and low carb gimmick. Very clever.

I’m enjoying the nice cool temps. It gives me hope fall is near.

CrossEyedDave said...

The "only" way I approach my food...

unclefred said...

FIR in 18. Lotsa names, I gnu ~ 1/2. Cute design, high fats, low carb. 59D I thought USMC but perps said otherwise. Thanx for the fun CW, LS&CI. And thanx too for the write-up, AT. Some of your comments had me thinking it was Boomer in for a hat trick. Jinx, electoral college is an anachronism ripe for corruption, as we saw in the last election. In a democracy the most votes wins. Period. That does not make the people that voted the other way serfs. Jeez.

Anonymous said...

Good Wed. puzzle. Natic Fatima & Ilana. To me LAVA cakes are just underbaked. Reminds me of the fun Terry Bradshaw commercial at the sushi bar, "Psst, you forgot to cook this." LOL! Tx Anon-T for the write-up. Good point about "carbon" copy.

Irish Miss said...

HG @ 9:34 ~ I doubt the GG menu would meet with any success in Troy, either, but it intrigued me and I’d order many of those dishes without batting an eye. I read the article about the deposed Nebraska coach and was wondering what your opinion is, especially about the criticisms of his lack of commitment.

DO @ 10:28 ~ Good point, but I was equating the low in carbs vibe to the low position in the grid, as I believe Tante Nique did, also.

CED @ 10:39 ~ 😂

Yellowrocks said...

The first A in ILANA did me in. Missed FATIMA. I was looking for a single name. I should have tried harder to find the themers which would have made FATIMA obvious. These are two of the three answers that were new to me. The other one was OREE.
Cute theme.
I agree that three fats and one carb is fine for this theme. A Keto diet would have more fats than carbs. So CARB placed low in number, low in fat and and low in the grid makes it all the more appropriate,
BE, I love your yummy menu, especially the scalloped potatoes, one of my favorite dishes. But potatoes are not part of a Keto diet.
BTW, I like scalloped potatoes cooked from scratch, not from a box with dehydrated potatoes. UGH!
To dial a phone is another anachronism. Many still talk about dialing on a cell phone, although we actually tap. DIAL 911 in case of emergency is still widely said.

sumdaze said...

I liked this puzzle because of its several long fills (e.g., ELECTORAL, IN A PICKLE, ANY NEWS, PEACOCK) and fair enough perps to help with the unknown names. Hand up for using the FAT theme to solve FATIMA/ILANA. FAT took the Natick-ness out of that crossing. Thank you, Lisa and Christina, for giving us that extra assistance and for your fun puzzle!
FAV: fabulous writer?
-T, thank you for your write-up!

Misty said...

Delightful Wednesday puzzle, many thanks, Lisa and Christina. And thanks too for the enjoyable commentary and pictures, Anon T.

Never heard of a KETO diet, but had no trouble finding the high FATs and low CARB in this fun puzzle, especially with all those RECIPES right near the top. But other than that food was pretty RARE here except for some RIPE PEAs and that LAVA cake and those OREOS. Oh, and almost forgot that HEAD of cabbage and those caramel ROLOS.

Always delighted to get an OPERA in a puzzle, even when we can't see all those exciting SCENES, like at times when we have to listen to one on the RADIO.

Time for me to get some lunch and listen to some music. Have a great day, everybody.

CanadianEh! said...

Wonderful Wednesday. Thanks for the fun, Lisa and Christina, and AnonT. (I missed your previous debut- congrats on a great blog today).
I FIRed with a couple of inkblots. Nearly forgot to go back and look for the theme (although I had noted the odd combo of 3 themers going down and 1 across. Then the light dawned. Clever.

Possible Natick at cross of ILANA and FATIMA, but the A seemed obvious over O.
But the NE corner was a problem. I had Wary before IFFY opened the top. But this Canadian can never remember FROJO and ROLOS are not on my shopping list either. Eventually it filled (but my feeble Tap had to change to a RAP).

I’m sorry to say that I needed perps for OREE. I LIUed and found that Willie O’REE was not only Canadian (aren’t most NHL Hall of Famers?) but he was the first Black player in the NHL.

Even this Canadian knows ELECTORAL college, but don’t ask me to explain them.

Wishing you all a great day.

waseeley said...

Thank you Lisa and Christina. Almost NATICKED on 5A/7D, but SWAGGED a FIR. Are there any diets that focus on reducing "magic nutrients" that work (in the long run)? IMHO a balanced diet and portion control are the way to go. Now if I could just get myself to go that way.

Thank you -T for another sparkly review. I think you've arrived. Now about that Thursday I want off in late December [ELIDE].

5A REFIT. I've never heard this as a synonym for "Upgrade", but I went with it because of perps, although I'd never heard of FATIMA ALI (which I initially parsed as FATI MALI).

24A OPERA. Blanchard's Fire Shut up in My Bones was the first OPERA by a Black composer to be performed at the New York Metropolitan Opera (in 2021). It's about a 20 year old Black man coming to terms with sexual abuse he suffered at age 7 at the hands of an older cousin. I heard the first Met broadcast. It was pretty powerful stuff.

32A SETH. Tried STEF, but perps said otherwise.

47A SCENES and 49A OVER IT. All of Shakespeare's plays had 5 Acts. You mean you'd walk out on OMK in King Lear? TSK T!.

65A CELL. Hand up on VLOOKUP, but I much prefer the CELLS in our bodies. There's a lot of them.

6D ELECTORAL. It seems that some of the "alternate" ELECTORS weren't either.

22D SRI. SRI LANKA is in a heap of trouble.

30D IBM. [Spoiler alert]. 42.

36D MALI. My father always threatened to send us to TIMBUKTU if we didn't pipe down.

Cheers,
Bill

Husker Gary said...

Musings 4
-Irish, I never liked how unprofessional Frost looked in public wearing only workout clothes and being unshaven. He also did not have much energy or drive. His only upside was that he had been at Nebraska when they got a National Championship and had been part of two wildly successful programs. Both of those schools (Oregon and USF) are in prime recruiting areas and that is what wins games.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Thanks for a fast & fun puzzle, Lisa & Christina. Got the theme right away despite all the unknowns WEES.

Thanks, Tony, for a great expo with some different twists.

32a SETH Curry is Steph Curry's less-talented brother, altho both are NBA good. Steph is the 3-point phenom, Gary.

I saw TARA skate in person years ago. Now watch her as a TV skating commentator with Johnny Weir.

After all the OREOs in crosswords lately, I was hungry for some. Ate 5. Got the worst stomach ache I'd had in a long time. Most of a bag left. Wonder if squirrels like them.

Ol' Man Keith said...

A Senzel/Iverson team job, analyzed by Anon T...

Natick!!
Many of us were at a loss between ILANA or ILENA (my choice), and its perp--either FETI MAALI (c'est moi) or FATIMA ALI.
Who can keep up with the passing parade of celebs?

Gotta correct the editors! The clue for 35A is a classic "class" error. So-called "starfish" are NOT fish. They are not scientifically classed as such.
On our Galapagos tour, a guide made it clear that these uncomplaining creatures are more properly identified as "sea stars."
~ OMK

waseeley said...

OMK @4:46 PM IIRC "Echinoderms".

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle. Clever theme. After a few letters I got FATIMA because it is a familiar/common name but didn't know the ALI part. So sad she died so young. Unfamiliar with ILANA Glazer. Wanted PEDAL before BRAKE, because the clue referred specifically to a bike. Those starfish LEGS became ARMS. I like the phrase IN A PICKLE.

Yes, it was Atropine that was in those injectors. We were trained to use it if we were nerve gassed.

I think that Atkins diet could be characterized as a KETO diet. I tried it years ago for a short while and lost 7 lbs in a month. Gained it right back after abandoning the diet. I'm with waseeley and others about eating sensibly and sticking to SMALLER portions. By totally stopping alcohol consumption last February I have lost 40 lbs. Amazing how much easier it is to walk without all that extra weight to lug around.

Anonymous T, congratulations on again composing a very competent write-up.

I think the ELECTORAL College would work a lot better if states would stop awarding "winner takes all" and would assign electors that reflect the proportion of voters who vote for this or that, like Nebraska does. No constitutional amendment needed (but not precluded from maybe happening at a future time.)

Good wishes to you all.

waseeley said...

This is for Misty, should she stop by. If not today I'll try to post an FLN tomorrow.

A friend sent me a link alerting me about an exhibit on Le Petit Prince at the Morgan Library in New York. However I also noticed a current exhibit entitled One Hundred Years of James Joyce's Ulysses that you might be interested in.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Long day and a bit late to play...

Who called me out on Act V? Waseeley? My bad. I've enjoy'd every one of The Bard's plays I've seen. I should have fact-checked. In my defense, I've sat through plays that could have wrapped things up early ;-)

Re: things that don't exist but we still use the terminology for [see: CARBON COPY].

HG- I'm not 100% on Anachronistic describing this.
Anachronistic is like the clock in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar -- out of place in the time-set. Romans had sundials!

However, BCC for an email (no carbon-paper on your PC/Mac), has not quite the same feel to the call-back. Neither does saying 'dialing' for you tapping your smart-phone* to 'ring' someone's cell-phone.

A Retronym is a new term created from existing words to distinguish it from the old-thing -- think land-line vs. phone. If you said phone 20 years ago, that's a [Retronym] land-line 'cuz a phone is what's in your pocket.

So!, there's gotta be a word for things that don't exist be we still say them to represent what those things [that don't exist!] meant. #BCC

Glad everyone had fun with the puzzle and my little post-game with "different twists." #PK
As long as everyone had fun, that's all that matters.
//BTW - did anyone lookup the members of The Firm supergroup? Some fine musicians, them.

Cheers, -T
*do we even need to Retronym 'smart-' or do you still have a brick in your 'car-phone'? ;-)

Anonymous T said...

*If you'd said phone...

OwenKL said...

If I were a STARFISH, in a quandary I might be
Over which is really, the right side of me!
If this hand is my left,
Then my right is on my left!
Which is which, my five ARMS think, is very IFFY!

Said the PEACOCK to the STEED,
"You're brave and strong, a warrior's need!"
The steed, said in humility,
"Oh, peacock, do you not see?
You and beauty need the warrior,
- - - - Otherwise he wouldn't be."

{A, A.}

Wilbur Charles said...

WC

Speaking of "The Firm"....
I picked up three Grisham novels at Habitat: The King of Torts. The Appeal and The Street Lawyer. It may be just me but these don't seem to be up to the standard of the early books like The Firm

Owen, nice late l'icks. Not sure re. "-----"? #1

WC

Wilbur Charles said...

They made for fast beach-style reading though