google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday, July 3, 2023, Susan Gelfand

Advertisements

Jul 3, 2023

Monday, July 3, 2023, Susan Gelfand

  

Hello Cornerites!

Today's theme is:  

Constructor Susan Gelfand is back with her third Monday puzzle in five weeks. This time she cleverly plays with a phrase found in 53 Across. Let's take a look:

53 Across. Imitate, and what the last words of 18-, 26-, and 42-Across can do: FOLLOW SUIT.
In card games like Bridge, to FOLLOW SUIT is to play a card belonging to the SUIT (♡, ♢, ♠, or ♣) that led the hand. From that, we get this idiom which means "to do the same thing".

Next, looking at 18-, 26-, and 42-Across, we find words that make a new word or phrase when written after the word "SUIT".

18 Across. Hardcover protector: DUST JACKET.  SUIT JACKET

26 Across. Solve a mystery: CRACK THE CASE.  SUITCASE

42 Across. Like some home repairs: DO IT YOURSELF.  SUIT YOURSELF

That last one was my FAV.
While solving this puzzle, there were several times when I was fairly sure of the answer but decided to wait for perps "just to be extra-sure"; but, the perp also made me say, "I better wait for a perp". This went on until I found a solid foothold; after which, I backtracked through my original thoughts. In the end, things fell into place with few surprises.

Susan also delt out these clues:

Across:
1. Whole bunch: SLEW.  as in "We have a SLEW of clues to get through today."

5. "Pomp and Circumstance" composer: ELGAR.  Sir Edward ELGAR composed Pomp and Circumstance in 1901. The title comes from a line in Shakespeare's Othello ("Pride, pomp, and circumstance of glorious war!"). It was not originally intended for graduations. Elgar's march was used for the coronation of King Edward VII. It first became associated with graduations in 1905, when it was played when ELGAR received an honorary doctorate from Yale University; but, it was played as a recessional (not as a processional) at the ceremony.  source

10. No. 1 choice: FAVE.

14. Road runner: AUTO.  Beep! Beep!

15. Boxer Ali who retired with a perfect 24-0 record: LAILA.  
She wrote this book in 2002 and a cookbook in 2018.

16. On a cruise: A-SEA.   and  35 Across. Perched on: ATOP.

17. Walk of Fame figure: STAR.  This "figure" is not a personality. It is a shape.
As it turns out, the Hollywood Walk of Fame Class of 2024 was announced last Monday.

20. Recklessly committed: HELL-BENT.  Def:  determined to achieve something at all costs.

22. Bedside bulb holders: LAMPS.  and  41 Across. Fabled wish granter: GENIE.
Robin Williams (1951-2014) talks about creating his GENIE character for the movie Aladdin (1992).

23. Spinal column element: DISC.  
Good news:  Medical experts are developing minimally invasive treatments where a gel is injected into the nucleus pulposus. Imagine all the people who will benefit!

24. Goes along with: ABIDES.  
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Jeff Bridges:  Thanks, Gary...Take care, man, I gotta get back.
Sam Elliott:  Sure. Take it easy, Dude -- I know that you will.
Jeff Bridges:  Yeah man. Well, you know, the Dude ABIDES.
Sam Elliott:  The Dude ABIDES. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that...

30. Scoundrel: ROGUE.

31. Emporium: MART.

32. "As __ my last email ... ": PER.  

36. Speedy: RAPID.

38. Basilica section: NAVE.  Sometimes the answer is "Apse".

39. Implore: BEG.

40. Like Granny Smith apples: TART.  I once planted a Granny Smith tree in my backyard because they are sweet enough to eat but also TART enough to bake in a pie.  
Doesn't it look delicious?

45. Pirouettes: TWIRLS.
She looks like the ballerina in little girls' pink & white jewelry boxes.

47. Textbook section: UNIT.

48. Opera solos: ARIAS.

49. Fixed payments: STIPENDS.  Def:  a fixed regular sum paid as a salary or allowance.
That means you get the same amount regardless of the number of hours you worked. Non-profits sometimes pay STIPENDS to seasonal workers.

56. Hockey score: GOAL.  This clever misdirection had me thinking of numbers, but the 4-letter restriction got me the point.

57. Went by horseback: RODE.

58. Pop singer Mann: AIMEE.  
AIMEE Mann Voices Carry (1984)

59. Steady stare: GAZE. a condition brought on by looking into a display case of GlAZED doughnuts

60. Opinion column: OP-ED.

61. "Fresh Air" host Terry: GROSS.  CSO to you-know-who!

62. Home for garden tools: SHED.

Down:
1. Ceremonial accessory worn diagonally: SASH.  
2. Medieval instrument with a pear-shaped body: LUTE.  

3. "As well as some other folks," in brief: ET AL.

4. International soccer competition: WORLD CUP.  The FIFA Women's WORLD CUP starts in just 17 days in Australia and New Zealand.  Digital Fan Guide

5. Firstborn: ELDEST.  I needed to know 5A to decide between oLDEST and ELDEST. Fortunately ELGAR looked better than oLGAR; but, hey, it is a name so who can say? I have a feeling seasoned solvers have ELGAR memorized.

6. Countdown culmination: LAUNCH.  
Starship First Integrated Flight Test (April 20, 2023)  #goosebumps
"First integrated" means they are testing the 1st & 2nd stages together.
It is the most powerful rocket ever made and it is twice as powerful as the Saturn V that took man to the moon. SpaceX has since redesigned the coupling between the 1st & 2nd stages, based on what they learned from this launch. The next step is to send it into orbit (probably later this year).

7. Heart of the matter: GIST.  Def:  the substance or essence of a speech or text.
I could explain further but I think you get the GIST.

8. PC key near the space bar: ALT.

9. "The Big Bang Theory" astrophysicist whose parents live in India: RAJ.  
Rajesh Ramayan "RAJ" Koothrappali was played by Kunal Nayyar.
In this scene, he is dropping off his Yorkshire Terrier, Cinnamon, so Howard can dog-sit.  (1 min.)

10. Building front: FACADE.  See the diagram for 38A.

11. Information desk sign: ASK ME.  cute fill

12. High-level execs: VEEPS.  and  19Down. Elite guests: A-LIST.

13. Noshes: EATS.

21. Eco-friendly commuter option: BIKE.  and  36 Down. Commuter option: RAIL.  
24. Smoothie berry: ACAI.

25. Shakespeare, for one: BARD.  Def:  a person in ancient societies skilled at composing and singing or reciting verses about heroes and their deeds; poet.
Note:  Its adjective form is "bardic".

26. Clawed crustacean: CRAB.  

27. Memorization method: ROTE.
Rote learning is defined as the memorization of information based on repetition. The two best examples of rote learning are the alphabet and numbers. Slightly more complicated examples include multiplication tables and spelling words. At the high-school level, scientific elements and their chemical numbers must be memorized by ROTE. source

28. Super eager: AGOG.  

29. E, on a gas gauge: EMPTY.  This clue calls out for some Jackson Browne....
Running on Empty (1979)
32. Sheet of glass: PANE.

33. Wicked: EVIL.

34. Coral formation: REEF.  
37. Creative pursuits: ARTS.

38. Rainy day accounts: NEST EGGS.

40. Trunk of the body: TORSO.  and  43 Down. Some belly buttons: OUTIES.
About 10% of people are OUTIES.  8 Belly Buttons Facts

41. Hold firmly: GRIP.  Let's all get one.

42. Used an old phone: DIALED.  Washed up?
44. Joins together: UNITES.

45. Girl Scout group: TROOP.

46. "Lady Windermere's Fan" playwright Oscar: WILDE.  for those who would like to know more

48. Natural hairstyle: AFRO.

49. Japanese wrestling style: SUMO.
This is a pic of the back of my ticket when I went to see SUMO in Fukuoka, Japan.
Notice the last line.  (Click to enlarge.)

50. Comedian Trevor: NOAH.  
Trevor was born Feb. 20, 1984 in Johannesburg, South Africa.

51. Stun: DAZE.  What a coincidence! "Stundaze" was my 2nd choice for a blogger handle. 😜

52. Snow glider: SLED.

54. Tail motion: WAG.  
Click to enlarge.

55. Knight's title: SIR.  This is the last clue so I will say, "Good night, SIR!"

The Grid

Before I go, here's some music to get you ready for tomorrow. Have a great week everyone!
Saturday in the Park. Chicago (1972)

28 comments:

Subgenius said...

For the first answer, I thought of “a lot” or “a ton” before perps convinced me the answer was “slew.” After that, I didn’t have too much trouble with this puzzle, which was the usual Monday “walk in the park .” FIR, so I’m happy.

OwenKL said...

Carrying his SUIT JACKET and SUIT CASE,
To a different airport gate he'd race.
A tram ride was offered,
His headshake was awkward.
The tram driver said, "SUIT YOURSELF, Ace."

In the cathedral, in its NAVE,
As sunlight thru stained glass did wave.
In a tranquil DAZE,
An awe-some GAZE
Told him this place was his FAVE!

{B+, A-.}

Anonymous said...

I started like SubG @3:46 - and ALOT even works with LUTE! - but it was smooth sailing like I'd expect a Monday solve to go. I only had to correct CRACKTHECodE -> CASE, SETRATES -> STIPENDS.

Not a fan of UNIT x UNITES.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Now this one reminded me of the Monday pzls from days of yore. Cute and quick. Loved it. ABIDE immediately evoked The Big Lebowski for moi, too. Thanx, Susan and Sumdaze. (Bardic -- never would have guessed that.)

ELGAR: My high school yearbook lists Pomp and Circumstance as my favorite song.

CRAB: Did you think of this Smothers Brothers ditty?

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR with no erasure, as DO said it was a throwback to the days when difficulty progressed through the week.

I don't remember that Smothers Brothers ditty. I do remember this tribute to Genie, or is that Jeannie?

Didn't know this AIMEE, but Manford Mann's Earth Band became Blinded By The Light, a Bruce Springsteen song they made famous largely because of Manfred's keyboard work.

I remember how my sisters and I first recognized the seriousness of my mom's dementia. She loved playing contract bridge, and one day we realized that she could no longer FOLLOW SUIT.

Thanks to Susan and Sumdaze for the fun Monday romp.

KS said...

FIR, no problems, got the theme half way through. Well constructed Monday CW.

Anonymous said...

Took 4:46 today to bag this one.

I agree with the earlier commentators. Monday-level, tripped-up at 1A (did D-O ever mention...?), and thought of the Dude at "abides."

Today's playwright, composer, and singer took awhile.

RosE said...

Good Morning! Zipped right through today’s puzzle. All filled quite smoothly. Nice!! Thanks, Susan, for the fun.
As I was into it, I re-read the themers & couldn’t find a connection, so when I got to the reveal I had to laugh – AHA, of course!!😄
ESP: AIMEE & GROSS. I was working the downs & never saw the clues. Just as well – I never heard of either of them.
Thanks, sumdaze! As always, great recap, toons & clips. Poignantly remembered, Robin Williams was genius.
I have always found it curious in English cathedrals that most of the congregation faces the aisle behind a wall separating them from the altar. Does it count having been to church if you can’t see the service??? Hmmmm...

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

So far, everyone seems to be as happy with today’s offering as I was. I’m always pleased and impressed when the reveal is a complete surprise, especially in an early week puzzle, and today’s was downright smile inducing. No unknowns, no w/os, no complaints and, as an added bonus, a possible record low number (6) of three letter words. This is a perfect example of what every Monday puzzle should be, IMO.

Thanks, Susan, for a fun solve and thanks, sumdaze, for the entertainment and enlightenment. Favorite cartoons were the Hydrating Fish and the Lute-challenged Nero. Best entry, though, was the ticket stub’s admonishment: “No entry is allowed for gangsters.” Hilarious! You made the right choice with sumdaze vs stungaze, IMO. 👍

A few days ago, I thanked the still unknown person who recommended The Story of Arthur Truluv. Much to my surprise, I just discovered that there are at least two more books in the series: Night of Miracles and The Confession Club. I’ve already ordered them. Also, two series on Netflix are returning this month: Sweet Magnolias on 7/20 and The Lincoln Lawyer on 7/6.

Have a great day.

Lee said...

Sumdaze, when playing Bridge, the Hand is what is dealt. The highest Bidder leads the first Trick, and each player follows playing a card on the Trick that is of the same SUIT as the one played by the Bidder. Play continues with the next trick being led by the winner of the previous Trick. A Trick consists of one card played by each player in the game, usually four. If a player cannot follow Suit, he may play any card subject to the other rules of the game.

A windy way of saying you lead Tricks, not Hands.

FIR. An easy game today. Thanks to Susan and Sumdaze for their presentations.

Monkey said...

WEES on this delightful puzzle, and equally fun Sumdaze recap. Nice start to the week.

Thanks also for the Smothers Brothers clip. I used to love those guys.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-JACKET and CASE led me to a cover of some sort but YOURSELF said, uh, no.
-Whole bunch – A LOT, LOTS, A TON, TONS, nope!
-STARS? Apollo 11 and the Chevrolet Suburban are also on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame
-Me too RosE: Stacking obscure AIMEE and GROSS turned out to not be an issue
-Our HOA says SHEDS must match color of your house
-NASA man not in his office put out this sign: OUT TO LAUNCH
-ASK ME: As luck would have it, I got someone on their first day last week
-ROTE “learning” is deservedly on the very bottom of this pyramid all teachers know
-Of whom was Elvis singing: “She's mean and she's EVIL like that little old boll weevil.”?
-Fun read, Renee!

Malodorous Manatee said...

Thanks for dealing out the great recap, sunmdaze.
Happy Independence-day-eve, everyone!

Yellowrocks said...

Monday easy, good theme. Nice to see Elgar's Pomp an Circumstance at this time of year. Because it is played at so many high school and college graduations, I thought Elgar would be better known.
I use a mix of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples for pies. I have shared my recipe with people who substitute the apple varieties with varying results. This mix always gets raves. A little tart, a little sweet and firm enough.
Our grass is flourishing with all the recent rain after a long dry spell.
My potted geranium on the balcony is blooming abundantly. I have had three ripe patio tomatoes this week. Yay! I have a second floor apartment so for the first time in decades I haven't even a little strip of land.
I can't wait until the farm store sells locally grown heirloom tomatoes.











































I have a second floor apartment and for the first time in decade I have no land.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Not bad for a Monday, but Friday-like theme. Didn't get it until the reveal...

Inlovers: Leila/Layla/LAILA, swirl/TWIRL.

Not alot not even lotsa but a SLEW. "Information desk sign" "go away" wouldn't fit.. my fav spelling of FAVE is fav

If you wanna start a fight between a radiologist and a neurosurgeon ask them which is correct: herniated DISC or disk.. 😃

A different "medieval pear shaped instrument" ...YIKES

Probably soon see some of Shakespeare's works ____ from schools ....BARD.
Dreidel....ATOP
David ___ Goliath, with just one, not a ___ of slinged stones...SLEW.
Scoundrel or ROGUE....NAVE
German AUTOs....OUTIES
Porker pay or sow salaries...STIPENDS

Raining AGAIN. 🌧 but the garden looks great...🙄

Anonymous T said...

Sumdaze - LOL! Our solve's hesitancy is mirrored in 'wait for the perp'. Though, I didn't slow down until SE corner with APSE...
JB's Running on EMTPY was a nice touch w/ (wait for it)...
//If I don't make sense - just try to keep up... I was ER'd again for low salts (which I don't understand how I do that wrong). I'm also reading Quantum Supremacy so DW & the docs just humor'd me.
Tech folks, what do you think? I've yet to see QCs solve anything real. It's kinda like the DNA computing from the '00s. Gonna break cryptography they will. Nope. Not yet.

Hi All:

Thank you Susan for a mighty-fine puzzle. Nice theme that sumdaze drove home.

Sumdaze - I you channeled every link I wanted to see. You ABIDE ;-)
And you left us with Chicago (the cherry on top in today's expo).
//I introduced our Jr. CyberGal to Chicago and she loved the fat sound of the horns.

WOs: apse -> NAVE and somethings under the ink in GRIP (grab?)
ESP: ELGAR (again)
Fav ROUGE. I just like that word. TWIRLS is fun too.

{B+, A+!}

FLN - C, Eh! my heart goes out to you. I don't even want to imagine how hard that must be.

ROTE - I do crosswords to overcome dyslexia - letter patterns matter (or so they say) But and then FAVE shows up screwing with my brain.

Jinx - I hope this low salt thing isn't dementia... That'd suck for DW :-(
Vacant Lot's take on Blinded By the Light. I feel for yous.

Gotta run - next meeting.
Cheers, -T

Misty said...

Delightful Monday puzzle, many thanks, Susan. And your commentary is always a treat, thanks for that too, Sumdaze.

Well, FAVE certainly got us off to a good start for a theme about a STAR, HELL-BENT to LAUNCH a career. Let's hope she TWIRLS while singing her ARIAS, so much so that she makes it to ATOP of the A-LIST. And when she reaches her GOAL, let's hope she rakes up a solid NEST EGG to protect her in the future.

Have a good beginning of the week, everybody.

Wilbur Charles said...

As has been the trend Monday has some teeth ie. STIPEND etc

I like Terry GROSS. ANON-T the same?

Re. LUTE and minstrels theres Blondel's Song to Richard the Lionheart

The Lincoln Lawyer is my FAVE Connelly

In bridge it's the player to the left of the bidder who leads. Sometimes the key to the hand

My mother the world famous apple pie maker preferred Northern Spy apples

If one can solve Saturdays then dementia is at bay

WC

desper-otto said...

Wilbur, if one has trouble with Saturdays does that mean that dementia is baying?

Ol' Man Keith said...

A Gelfand PZL, brought to our eyes by sumdaze...

Hmm. AGOG? I never thought of AGOG as being eager. To me, it has always meant "over-awed," even "befuddled"--in a "dazzled state."
But the dictionary supports this clue, so what am I gonna do, eh?

14 and 15--two gentle misdirections in a row.

I changed TAZE to DAZE, otherwise, a smooth ride, top to bottom.
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Three diagonals, far side.
The center diag's anagram (13 of 15) refers to either a graceful 1940s' comic-strip character ...
-OR-
a truly clumsy shadow-boxer (one who REALLY can't connect!), the...

"AIRIER PALOOKA"!

Irish Miss said...

DO @ 2:12 ~ 🤣 (Of course, I’m easily amused.)

Jinx in Norfolk said...

WC, I'm also a fan of the Lincoln Lawyer series. Haven't seen any of the TV, but in my mind's eye I see Mickey Haller as looking like Danny Devito, not the studly guy in the cast.

Our gerontology group told us that no one type of mental activity will help delay Alzheimer's symptoms. Crosswords, word search, card games, connect the dots, computer games and other variations are a broader and more effective practice. Unfortunately, DW is past most of that now. I haven't tried "war" but I should.

sumdaze said...

I am happy to hear that most (all?) of you enjoyed this start to the week! Thanks for sharing!

OwnenKL @ 3:52. Your 2nd one today was 'amaze'.

IM @ 8:38. I hope you know how awesome you are, IMO!

-T @ 12:37. LOL at "ESP: ELGAR (again)". Same same! But anti-LOL at ER again. I hope they sent you home with a better plan than "fingers crossed this doesn't happen again."

waseeley said...

Thank you Susan for a perfectly SUITABLE Monday puzzle. My first FIR in three days after two 1 letter FIWs.

Thank you sumdaze for the fun, info, and entertainment. Loved the Jackson Brown video -- Didn't realize what a great band he had!

A few favs:

1A SLEW. Not a Biblical reference for a change.

5A ELGAR. Prior to SIR EDWARD the last great English musician was the short lived Baroque composer Henry Purcell (1659 – 1695). Here's the Rondeau from Abdelazer, the The Moor's Revenge and the Chacone from The Gordian Knot Untied.

2D LUTE. Favorite cartoon.

5D ELDEST. A CSO to -T's firstborn.

Cheers,
Bill

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle and think it was constructed well. I also liked your write-up, sumdaze, and thank you for it. I also enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Charlie Echo said...

Late to the party, as I spent the day at the Illinois Railway Museum. Railfan Paradise! An easy, zippy, Mondayesque FIR. Never even looked for the theme. Oops. (Thanks for 'splainin', Sumdaze!) I liked the lute cartoon, too.

waseeley said...

sumdaze @3:59 PM Thank you so much for the link on the Oscar Wilde play. I'm a fan of his, particularly his Picture of Dorian Gray and the play Salome, the basis for the Richard Strauss opera. We've been to Lake Windermere and I can just picture the play being set in the stately dining room of the Victorian inn we visited there.

Cheers,
Bill

sumdaze said...

waseeley @ 7:23. I am not surprised to find you in the column of "those who would like to know more". (I mean this as a compliment.)