google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, July 18, 2023 Emit Ozar and Rachel Fabi

Advertisements

Jul 18, 2023

Tuesday, July 18, 2023 Emit Ozar and Rachel Fabi

Time to Celebrate!  Raise Your Glass and give a Toast as we Cheer C.C. for creating this wonderful blog!  I'll Drink to That!


20-Across. Pink #1 single, and a hint to the ends of 28- and 47-Across: RAISE YOUR GLASS.

28-Across. Eggy, bready breakfast choice: FRENCH TOAST.  Everything you wanted to know about French Toast, but didn't know to ask.

47-Across. Raspberries: BRONX CHEERS.

54-Across. Exclamation after a rousing speech, and a hint to the ends of 28- and 47-Across: I'LL DRINK TO THAT.

Across:
1. Pace set by a drummer or a metronome: TEMPO.

6. And so on, briefly: ETC.  //  Not to be confused with 29-Down. Travel schedule abbr.: ETA.

9. All thumbs: INEPT.
14. Unadorned: STARK.

15. "Quiet, please!": SHH.


16. "Obvs": NO DUH!

17. "The Hate U Give" writer Thomas: ANGIE.  Angie Thomas (b. Sept. 20, 1988) is an author best known for her young adult literature.  The Hate U Give is her first published novel.   The novel is portrayed through the eyes of a 16-year-old African-American girl from a poor neighborhood who attends an elite private school in a predominantly white neighborhood.  She witnessed a white police officer shoot and kill her childhood friend, Khalil.  She becomes involved in the social tensions that end in a riot after  the police officer is not held responsible for the shooting.  [Name # 1.]


18. Uni- + bi-: TRI.

19. Impressive Blue Angels maneuver: FLY BY.  The Blue Angels are a flight demonstration squadron within the United States Navy.  The Blue Angels have a base in Pensacola, Florida.  We used to see them practice when we summered in Fort Walton, Florida.  They are an aerobatic team that performs many aerial demonstrations throughout the United States and Canada.


23. Painter's deg.: MFA.  MFA = Master of Fine Arts.

24. Battery size: AAA.

25. Audit firm exec: CPA.  CPA = Certified Public Accountant.

35. Shared frustrations with, perhaps: RANTED TO.

37. Sharp-eyed bird: EAGLE.


38. Impulse: URGE.

39. Muscles worked by dead bug exercises: ABs.  This exercise will strengthen the Abdominal muscles.


41. Writer Lebowitz: FRAN.  Fran Lebowitz (née Frances Ann Lebowitz; b. Oct. 27, 1950) is known for her humorous and sarcastic social commentary.   [Name # 2.]


42. Rumpus: MELEE.

44. Building projects in the toy aisle: LEGO SETS.  I played with Legos before there were such elaborate sets.  My bricks were just red and white with a grey base.  Still, I have fond memories of playing and making wonderful creations.


50. Opposite of WNW: ESE.


51. Abu Dhabi's fed.: UAE.  UAE = United Arab Emirates.

52. Cyberchats, for short: IMs.  IMs = Instant Messagings.

62. Island near Oahu: KAUAI.  //  And 67-Across. Archipelago unit: ISLET.  The Hawaiian Islands form an Archipelago.


63. Art expert Sister Wendy, e.g.: NUN.  In addition to being an art historian, Sister Wendy (née Wendy Mary Beckett; Feb. 25, 1930 ~ Dec. 26, 2018) was also a Catholic nun.  She was known for being the host of a documentary series on art history that aired on the BBC.  [Name # 3.]


64. Worcestershire __: SAUCE.


65. One more time: AGAIN.

66. "If u ask me ... ": IMO.  Textspeak for IMOpinion.

68. Adolescent: YOUNG.  //  And 36-Down. Adolescent: TEEN.

69. __ and flow: EBB.



70. Beach umbrella benefit: SHADE.


Down:
1. Pre-Lenin Russian ruler: TSAR.  Tsar or Czar?

Nicholas II was the last Tsar of Russia.

2. Sicilian volcano: ETNA.


3. Gift-bearing Nativity trio: MAGI.


4. Light-bending block: PRISM.


5. Painter Georgia known for large flowers and New Mexico landscapes: O'KEEFFE.  Georgia O'Keeffe (née Georgia Totto O'Keeffe; Nov. 15, 1887 ~ Mar. 6, 1986) was married to photographer Alfred Stieglitz (Jan. 1, 1864 ~ July 13, 1946).  She is best known for her meticulous paintings of natural forms, particularly (suggestive) flowers and desert-inspired landscapes.  [Name # 4.]


6. Spanish "this": ESTO.  Today's Spanish lesson.

7. Drive-__ window: THRU.

8. President between Mitterrand and Sarkozy: CHIRAC. Jacques Chirac (né Jacques René Chirac; Nov. 29, 1932 ~ Sept. 26, 2019) served as President of France from 1995 to 2007. He had previously served as the French Prime Minister in the 1970s.  [Name # 5.]


9. Blow up: INFLATE.

10. Bourbon Street locale, informally: NOLA.  As in New Orleans, LA.


11. Brand found near Ben & Jerry's: EDY'S.  Both are brands of Ice Cream.  What's your favorite Ice Cream?  [Name adjacent.]

12. Places for pints: PUBS.

13. "Love __ neighbor": THY.

21. Fabric measure: YARD.

22. "I'm so frustrated!!!": GAH.

25. Tidbit: CRUMB.


26. Peeling knife: PARER.

27. __-Saxon: ANGLO.

30. Aristocratic: NOBLE.
31. Buffoons: OAFS.

32. Say yes: AGREE.

33. Wooden strips: SLATS.


34. On pins and needles: TENSE.

40. "What'd I tell ya?": SEE.

43. Giving off: EXUDING.

45. "True __": Western remake starring Hailee Steinfeld: GRIT.  I remember the original version of True Grit, which starred John Wayne (né Marion Robert Morrison; May 26, 1907 ~ June 11, 1979).  In 2010, the Coen brothers directed a remake in which Hailee Steinfeld (b. Dec. 11, 1996) portrayed Mattie Ross, originally played by actress Kim Darby (née Deborah Zerby; b. July 8, 1947). [Name # 6.]


46. Gradual absorption method: OSMOSIS.

48. Hatchback, e.g.: CAR.


49. Tush: HEINIE.

53. Hidden supply: STASH.


54. "Othello" villain: IAGO.  Iago is a fictional character in Shakespeare's Othello (c. 1601–1604).  Iago is the play's main antagonist. Iago hates Othello and devises a plan to destroy him by making him believe that Othello's wife, Desdemona, is having an affair.  James Earl Jones (b. Jan. 17, 1931) is probably the best known actor who portrayed Othello.  From yesterday, we learned that IAGO was also the name of the parrot in Aladdin.  [Name # 7.]


55. Traditional Hawaiian feast: LUAU.  //  And 59-Down. Dance at a 55-Down: HULA.

56. Reclined: LAIN.

57. Anesthetized: NUMB.

58. Etch A Sketch control: KNOB.


60. Got 100% on: ACED.

61. Chapeau's spot: TÊTE.  Today's French lesson.

62. Longtime Yankees broadcaster Michael: KAY.  I don't follow the Yankees, thus am not familiar with Michael Kay (b. Feb. 2, 1961).  [Name # 8.]



Here's the grid:



חתולה



32 comments:

Subgenius said...

The “K” of “Kauai” and “ Kay” was a total WAG that somehow paid off. But that was the only WAG I needed. And instead of one “reveal,” we got two, so I guess I can’t complain about that. Seemed like a pretty typical Tuesday puzzle to me . FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

This was going smoothly until I inked in CACHE. STASH soon appeared. Wite-Out, please. Nice early week romp, Emit (don't think I've ever seen the name spelled that way) and Rachel. Enjoyed your tour, Hahtoolah. (What, you didn't claim a CSO at NOLA? Loved your Worcestershire cartoon.)

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased youth for YOUNG, esta for ESTO, and inflame for INFLATE.

Aren't the rank-and-file employees of an audit firm CPAs?

I just had to link Perfectly NUMB from the MAGIcal album Dark Side of the Moon by the iconic rock group PINK Floyd.

FLN: Bill, my weeds aren't day lilies, they are dayflowers, or commelina communis. They have little blue flowers that bloom for only one day, thus the name. Very pretty, but not good for me. What my mom always said about my dates when I was YOUNG.

Thanks to Emit and Rachel for the fun Tuesday puzzle. And thanks to Ha2la for the visual treats. This may be your best work to date.

unclefred said...

Nice Tuesday CW, thanx EO&RF, complete with a Hawaiian sub theme. As SG said, the K at the KAUAI/KAY cross was a lucky guess. Anyway, FIR in the same time as yesterday, so another “I’m lovin’ it!” CW. By my count 12 names, but I knew most, so not too bad. Thanx for the terrific write-up, Hahtoolah, especially including the bit about czar/tsar. I’ve always wondered why there are so many spellings, and the reference shed some light on that, although IMO not really answering why there are so many spellings. Also enjoyed the Pink video. Finished binging Ted Lasso yesterday. Most episodes were good, even if a bit predictable. Is it gonna have another season? Seems unlikely, from the way it ended.

Anonymous said...

Took 5 minutes flat today for me to say "salud" to this one.

"Kay" was obscure, but Kauai less so, so my last square was a hit.
I didn't know one of today's writers (Angie), but I knew the other writer (Fran), so that counts as a win to me.

I echo Jinx's comment about the CPAs, which is why I hesitated CPA, CFO, CEO, "etc."

I really like a lot of Pink's music. She's a good entertainer too.

Lego sets were a major part of my kids' childhoods. Mine too.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends. I thought today's puzzle had an interesting theme. As Subgenius noted, there were really two reveals in this alcohol-infused theme.

I agree with Jinx that CPA didn't quite fit the clue for the Audit Firm Exec. I was reluctant to fill in CPA on my first pass.

Another scorcher. Stay cool and hydrated.

QOD: Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies. ~ Nelson Mandela (July 18, 1918 ~ Dec. 5, 2013), South African political leader and former President

KS said...

FIR, but not without a WAG at the crossing of Kauia and Kay; didn't know either.
Too many proper names for me. The theme was clever but the reference to the Pink song was wasted on me. Not a fan.
Overall, a tad crunchy for a Tuesday.

TTP said...

A fine puzzle and review. I also liked that Worcestershire sauce joke. Hahtoolah, I've committed "productive procrastination" to memory. My hand is up on that one.

Jinx FLN, I have those dayflowers in one of my front gardens. Not because I want them. So far, only in that one garden. They have a pretty little bloom, but they'll spread quickly. I pull them as I see them. The good news is that they are shallow rooted in garden soil and easily weeded. The bad news is that they come back year after year. You have to keep up with them.

Gotta run. Sheets and pillowcases are in the washer. Again. Off to Walmart to get the Zanfel that inanehiker recommended.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I really enjoyed this solve which was a fresh take with the two reveals, sort of an Easter Egg surprise. Obvs and No Duh have never crossed my lips, but they’re no worse than Totes Adorbs. Dead Bug exercises were not on my radar either, but live and learn, as they say. Liked the Luau/Hula duo. No unknown fill and no w/os led to a quick and smooth finish.

Thanks, Emet and Rachel, for a fun Tuesday and thanks, Hahtoolah, for the usual facts and fun. Favorite cartoons were SHHH, and the Worcestershire. The Blue Angels video gave me butterflies in my tummy. Summering in Florida sounds odd to a Northerner!

Today, I have to vacate my abode for 4 hours due to the exterminator’s treatment inside and out for a horrendous fly infestation. The last three days have been like living in a horror movie. I hope the treatment acts quickly so I can retire the fly swatter.

Have a great day.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A unique blend of two gimmicks and two reveals
-More lovely rain today but golf league got cancelled. :-(
-Our new league secretary, who is 65, actually sent out IMS to all of us. Our previous one, who was 85, just depended on people calling the course and then spreading the word themselves
-Watching EPT TEEN thumbs fly around a phone keyboard is amazing!
-The Hawaiian Islands are slowly travelling on a WNW trajectory on the Pacific Plate
-Today I learned Georgia’s surname has two “E’s” and two “F’s”
-My fav ice cream, butter brickle, is not always available.
-GAH!!
-Does someone sound pretentious when they use LAIN correctly in place of LAID?
-Blood is not always thicker than water. George V did not save his cousin TSAR Nicholas II in 1918.
-A fun review Susan. BTW, crosswords are sometimes my “productive procrastination”

Yellowrocks said...

Another walk in the park. The K in KAY and KAUAI was the last to fill, the only crunch for me. Maui was too short. ABC run. No write overs. I usually write in temporary answers lightly, expecting that they could change. Not this time.
Fun recap, Susan.
My son was a CFO at one point. I filled CPA immediately. I think all CFO's have to be CPAs. You never know how general or granular the fill needs to be.
At my former home I found that pachysandra as a ground cover spread too quickly and too far. Over several years I rooted it all up. I would have been happy to keep it if it was more contained. Plants like these that spread by rhizomes are notoriously aggressive.
Tsar or Czar? The Russian language uses the Cyrillic script and needs to be transliterated into English. That is why there is no exact spelling. We do not have exactly equivalent sounds. The same goes for spelling Chanukah or Hanukkah from the Hebrew.

CrossEyedDave said...

Public Service Announcement

And..

because Hahtoolah already posted all the good links...

Lee said...

I thought we already had the Monday puzzle this week. Seemed a little easy for a Tuesday. No outre name references or crazy social slang. FIR.

Thanks to Emit and Rachel for their delightful offering today and H2LH for his witty reparte`.

Lee said...

Sorry, her.

Yellowrocks said...

I find it quite annoying that we fear to use correct grammar or advanced vocabulary lest we be deemed pretentious. The need to self edit should be saved for speaking to little children, or for limiting the vulgar and salacious or for editing out insulting speech.
So many perfectly good words are limited to writing or academics. Witness that when posters say they never heard certain words, we find that they are quite common in print.

Anonymous said...

A fun challenge today. Sister Wendy is an amazing art historian. Her old BBC shows can be found on YouTube and she brings art to life with her beautiful and whimsical descriptions of the artist and their work. Check one out… you will be pleasantly surprised…. kkFlorida

RosE said...

Good Morning! Nice puzzle today with only a few hiccups. Sometimes when it is going so smoothly, one gets lulled into rushing ahead…..me!
Thanks, Emit & Rachel.
Inflame -> INFLATE.
Perps for ANGIE and I knew HEINIE, but never knew it was German or how it was spelled.
I remember seeing Sister Wendy on TV. She was so knowledgeable and very entertaining!!
Adolescent/TEEN is good, but adolescent/YOUNG not so much. Noun/adjective? I thought youth would have been a better match.
Thanks, Hah2Lah for a rollicking fun recap. LOL for Worcestershire toon & the flow chart.
It’s a little early, but 54A!!! Maybe a Shirley Temple for me….

Monkey said...

Really cute and fun CW. Even got a geography lesson with KAUAI. I tried to enter Lanai at first, but that didn’t work and like others I didn’t know KAY.

As for “obvs” I’m really stumped. Thank goodness for perps, one of which is the cute clue for PUBS.

My 9-year-old great nephew, maybe there’s another great in there, anyway, he loves LEGOS. He has a huge collection.

Hahtoolah, thanks for the fun FRENCH TOAST history lesson.

Yes, another scorcher today.

Rose said...

CrossEyedDave, loved the cutie YouTube clip, esp. the water slide, but a pet bat???? mmmm,no.

sumdaze said...

Three CHEERS to Emet, Rachel, and Hahtoolah!!!

Charlie Echo said...

Pleasant outing today. A FIR with no particular issues. A couple of obscure names, but the perps took care of them. The Blue Angels FLYBY, while impressive in itself, is only the beginning! The really good stuff comes later in the show.

Misty said...

Fun Tuesday puzzle, many thanks, Emet and Rachel. And your pictures are always a total delight, Hahtoolah, thanks for those too.

Well, today it was fun to go to KAUAI, and to visit a PUB where we could play games with LEGO SETS, and get some LUAU snacks and some FRENCH TOAST and have a good time, watching some folks dance a HULA. Not a bad way to spend a little time on a puzzle.

Hope your home will be all clear and free again, Irish Miss.

Have a great day, everybody.

Wilbur Charles said...

Like everyone else by now CSO to China at Wendy the nun. I have to meet with the Bank fella at Wendy's at two

The K in Kuaai was a WAG; It gave me Michael KAY(Hi SubG)- Make that WEES

Bank asks for ethnicity and "Other" is left blank so I put ANGLO Saxon

IM have you seen the electric flyswatters?

Are IMS the same as a mass text?

Remember when texting was done with keyboard numbers representing letters? eg 1=A,B,C. You could text with one hand while driving with the other

HEINIE/fannie(talk about archaic);adolescent/YOUNG I too had YOUth

Our version of LEGOS was the Erector Set

Another great write-up hahtoolah

WC


Jinx in Norfolk said...

WC - HEINIE is what some of my racing crew called that famous premium brew from Holland. That was different from what the skipper supplied: Schmidt's of Philadelphia, Hudepohl, Falls City, Lucky Lager, or whatever else I could get for less than a buck per six pack. OK, OK, I actually brought Bud Light, since I couldn't find any of my preferred crew beer in Tidewater.

There is also a serious deficiency with Legos compared to Erector Sets. It is nearly impossible for a kid to get cut by mishandling Legos. But some boy who lived in my parents' house managed to injure his bratty self occasionally.

Ol' Man Keith said...

Hahtoolah brings us an Ozar/Fabi PZL...

Filled with pleasant challenges throughout.

Several Hawaiian fills today. The only one that slowed me down was the island that several others found reason over which to pause. Yes, I mean KAUAI. Not knowing the first letter via its perp, I wasted time trying to expand MAUI to fill 5 spaces. Fortunately, my wife lived in Hawaii for a time, so is more familiar with the islands than most stateside Yanks.
~ OMK
____________
DR:
Three diagonals, near side.
The middle diag gives us a near-jackpot anagram (14 of 15 ltrs) that comes near to a misogynistic slur.
It is a 3-word phrase. The first word that came to us was indeed anti-female, so we aimed to shun it. It's the word "FRUMP," which normally means a drab, dowdily dressed unattractive middle-aged to older woman.
It was only when we found the 2nd and 3rd words that we realized the word was not to be applied to a human, but is attached instead to a troublesome water fowl.
I mean a...

"FRUMP GREBE PEST"!

OwenKL said...

A man from the BRONX, for CHEER
Went on vacation in FRANCE every year.
When asked his advice
On if Nice is nice,
He whispered, "Baguette TOAST is to fear!"

There is a Georgia O'KEEFFE Museum,
In Santa Fe, where her art is a premium.
It's tucked away
On a narrow byway.
Many of her paintings, there you can see 'um!

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle. Had no problem with KAUAI because that used to be the "go to" summer vacation spot for my dental hygienist. On the other hand, NO DUH took four perps to solve.

I remembered the name CHIRAC because I have just recently been reading about a physicist name Paul Dirac (their last names rhyme) and was reading about him because I have been re-reading about the life of Robert Oppenheimer. Next, I'm going to read up on John Von Neumann, who, interestingly, also had expertise in nuclear physics as well as his more well-known expertise in and contributions to computer science.

Hahtoolah, thanks again for a terrific write-up. Good wishes to you all.

Jayce said...

I loved that song Perfectly NUMB.

Jayce said...

Oops, it's Comfortably Numb.

Michael said...

unclefred @ 6:58 wrote, "Thanx for the terrific write-up, Hahtoolah, especially including the bit about czar/tsar."

Yes, Hatoolah's notes are always welcomed -- the Worcestershire pun had me thinking of the Shire in the Hobbit.

But unless there is some as-yet-unknown version, the former rulers of Russia have only two forms in English: the Germanic 'czar' or the Slavic 'tsar' (царъ)

unclefred said...

Comfortably Numb: My theme song. Great lyrics for old guys like me. If anyone is not familiar with the song, please look up the lyrics.

Michael said...

On the comment that there is no 'ts' sound in English, I beg to differ. We don't use 'ts' as the initial letter of a word, but what is the common word "it's" but a 'ts' with an 'i' in front? Drop the 'i' and you are ready for Russian 1.