google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 Joe Deeney

Advertisements

Jul 25, 2023

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 Joe Deeney

I've Got My I's on You!  In today's puzzle, each theme word is a two-word phrase where the first word ends in the letter "i" and the next word begins with the letter "i", giving the phrase "i" [eye] contact.


16-Across. Denomination of most of the world's Muslims: SUNNI ISLAM.

25-Across. Spiced cold drink made with sweetened condensed milk: THAI ICED TEA.  How to make Thai Tea: Thai Tea is a strongly black tea that is spiced with star anise, cloves, crushed tamarind, cardamom, or a combination of any of those spices.  It is sweetened with sweetened condensed milk.


37-Across. Pro on the slopes: SKI INSTRUCTOR.

49-Across. Coastal resort town southeast of Naples: AMALFI ITALY.

And the unifier:

60. Nonverbal communication concern, and a phonetic hint to a feature of 16-, 25-, 37-, and 49-Across: EYE CONTACT.



Across:
1. Spelman or Morehouse, for short: HBCU.  HBCU = Historically Black Colleges and Universities.  Historically Black Colleges and Universities are those institutions of higher education that were established before Civil Rights Act of 1964 that were designed to serve African-American students.

5. Fluffy scarves: BOAS.

9. "Surely, you __!": JEST.

13. List-ending abbr.: ET AL.  Today's Latin lesson and crossword staple.  Et al. is an abbreviation of the Latin term et alia, which translates as and others.  Note that in the term, Et is a word in and of itself, thus there is no period after this word, only Al, which is the abbreviated word.

14. Texter's "What's up?": HOW R U.

15. Black-and-white cookie: OREO.  A crossword staple.

These are the REAL Black and White cookies.

18. Genesis twin: ESAU.  Jacob and Esau make frequent appearances in the puzzles.  They were the sons of Isaac and Rebecca.  [Name # 1.]

19. Zesty flavor: TANG.  Also the Orange drink made from a powder, as we learned from yesterday.  It was made famous as being the drink of astronauts.


20. Saloon: BAR.  //  And 58-Across. Brewpub options: ALES.

22. "GMA" TV network: ABC.  GMA = Good Morning America.

23. Teacup pig, e.g.: PET.  Everything you wanted to know about a Teacup Pig but didn't know to ask.


29. "Dracula" novelist Stoker: BRAM.  Bram Stoker (né Abraham Stoker; Nov. 8, 1847 ~ Apr. 20, 1912) was an Irish writer who never even set foot in Transylvania, the home of Dracula.  [Name # 2.]

Dracula's Castle in Romania.

31. Doc intended to protect confidentiality: NDA.  NDA = Non-Disclosure Agreement.

32. Eggs purchase: DOZEN.  Eggs were rather expensive earlier this year.


33. Spicy pizza topping: JALAPENO.  Not my first choice as a topping.


36. Clumsy oaf: LUG.

41. __-mo replay: SLO.

42. Host, as guests: HAVE OVER.


44. Divided Asian peninsula: KOREA.


47. Nape tickler: TAG.  Cute clue.  Lots of shirts now print their label on the cloth instead of attaching a tag.

48. Sharp cry: YELP.

53. __ de plume: NOM.  Today's French lesson.  Also known as a pen name.




54. TiVo button: REC.  TiVo is (was?) a video recorder with a Record button.


55. Normal: Abbr.: STD.  As in Standard.

56. "Silly me!": OOPS!


65. U. of Maryland athlete: TERP.

Looks mean.

66. Disney warrior played by Liu Yifei: MULAN.  The movie Mulan is about a young girl who disguises herself as a man who takes the place of her elderly and ailing father who had been conscripted into the army.  Liu Yifei (née An Feng; b. Aug. 25, 1987) portrayed Mulan in the 2020 film version.   [Name # 3.]


67. Some: A FEW.

68. Online artisan marketplace: ETSY.  Etsy is an e-commerce company that specializes in handmade or vintage items.


69. Dalmatian mark: SPOT.

70. Actress Ward: SELA.  Sela Ward (née Sela Ann Ward; b. July 11, 1956) is probably best known for her role as Theodora "Teddy" Reed on the television drama Sisters.  The show ran in the 1990s.  [Name # 4.]

Sela Ward is in the lower right corner.


Down:
1. "__ So Shy": HE'S.  And now for a musical interlude.


2. AC meas.: BTU.  BTU = British Thermal Unit.  From the US Energy Information Administration webpage: "A British Thermal Unit is a measure of the heat content of fuels or energy sources. One Btu is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of liquid water by 1° Fahrenheit (F) at the temperature that water has its greatest density (approximately 39° F)."  Perfectly clear, right?

3. "No time to chat!": CAN'T TALK.

4. Forearm bone: ULNA.


5. Fenway team: Abbr.: BOS.  As in the Boston Red Sox.  Years ago, I lived just a few blocks from Fenway.  That was back in the day when bleacher seats were only $3.





6. Duo, the Duolingo mascot, for one: OWL.  I wasn't familiar with Duolingo, but the perps helped finding the Owl.  Apparently, Doulingo is an app designed to help you learn another language.  Cute little owl.

7. Saudi __: ARABIA.  Another country on a peninsula.



8. Poison shrub: SUMAC.  Everything you wanted to know about the poison sumac bush but didn't know to ask.

9. Actor Pesci: JOE.  Although Joe Pesci (né Joseph Frank Pesci; b. Feb. 9, 1943) has been in many films, he is often cited in the puzzles for his role as Vinny Gambini in My Cousin Vinny.  [Name # 5.]


10. Not genuine: ERSATZ.  Derived from old German meaning replacement.

11. "We build, we fight" military member: SEABEE.



12. Big-billed bird: TOUCAN.  Toucan Sam is the mascot for Froot Loops.





14. Low's opposite: HIGH.

17. Loan payment pt.: INT.  As in Interest.

21. Decrease: REDUCE.

23. Kid-friendly sandwich, informally: PBJ.  As in A Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.  Yummers!  I still like a PB&J sandwich every now and then.


24. History chapters: ERAs.

26. Actresses Sothern and Jillian: ANNS.  Only one of the Ann's was always an Ann.  Ann Sothern (née Harriette Arlene Lake; Jan. 22, 1909 ~ Mar. 15, 2001) starred in numerous films in the 1930s.  Ann Jillian (née Ann Jura Nausea; b. Jan. 29, 1950) was a television star in the 1980s.  [Names # 6 and 7.]

Ann Sothern

Ann Jillian

27. "Very relatable": I DO THAT.

28. Nylabone, e.g.: DOG TOY.  I don't have dogs, so am not familiar with the manufacturer of these toys.  But are they safe for dogs?


30. "The Marvelous Mrs. __": MAISEL.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a comedy-drama television series set in the 1950s.  It got rave reviews.  [Name # 8]


34. Rice dishes: PILAFs.  Yummers!



35. Experimental musician Brian: ENO.  Brian Eno (né Brian Peter George Eno; b. May 15, 1948) makes so many guest appearances in the puzzles that he must have a permanent home here.   [Name # 9.]  //  Not to be confused with 61-Down. Jeff Lynne's band, informally: ELO.  Jeffrey Lynn (b. Dec. 30, 1947) is also an English musician who co-founded the band Electric Light Orchestra, affectionally known as ELO.  [Name # 10]


Brian Eno, then and now.
36. Hon: LUV.

38. Music featuring sitars: RAGA.

39. Like Pyrex: OVEN SAFE.  Everything you wanted to know about Pyrex but didn't know to ask.

40. Work-related move, for short: RE-LO.  As in Re-Locate.

43. LP's 33 1/3: RPM.  RPM = Revolutions Per Minute.

44. Discipline taught by a sensei: KARATE.



45. Filled and folded brunch order: OMELET.  Yummers!

46. Indy 500 entrants: RACERS.

47. Prepare for company, in a way: TIDY UP.


50. Things: ITEMS.

51. Minnesota's state bird: LOON.  Hi, C.C.!  Other Minnesota State Symbols.  Louisiana and Minnesota share the same state beverage.

52. Hither and __: YON.

57. School support orgs.: PTAs.  PTA = Parent Teacher Association.

59. Undercover agent: SPY.





62. Feline: CAT.



63. Cartoon frame: CEL.  A crossword staple.

64. Defunct airline: TWA.  My first plane trip was on a TransWorld Airline flight.  The company was founded in July 1930 and ceased to exist in December 2001.  You can visit the TWA Museum in Kansas City, Missouri.

Here's the Grid:




חתולה



49 comments:

Subgenius said...

The toughest thing for me to get in this puzzle was the last letter in “Maisal,” as I also had no idea about the Italian resort town. However, my WAG was successful. On the other hand, I pretty much got the puzzle’s gimmick right away, so at least I had that going for me, as Jinx might say. This puzzle had a bit of crunch, but nothing too out of line with a standard Tuesday puzzle, IMHO. FIR, so I’m happy.

Anonymous said...

I see _HAI in a TEA-related answer (with “spiced” in the clue to boot), I put in CHAI. It took another look at the clue for INTerest to spot my mistake.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Happily listening to my resurrected music server as I write this. Got the theme early, and that saved me from entering AMALFI COAST further down. Joe Deeney's made many appearances here at the corner. Today's was a nice one. Enjoyed your expo, Hahtoolah. (Never would've guessed that milk was the official LA beverage -- or that LA had a dairy industry. That "death" twist was a hoot.)

TAG -- I've never had a problem with TAG irritation. Dw, though, hates the aglets on shoe laces. She calls them "clackers," and immediately cuts them off.

Whiner said...

Pretty easy, but like Anon above I had something like _HAI____TEA and put the C in front first. I also got a little stumped with TAG, IDOTHAT and RAGA but finally got it. I tried TIE first but that neither made sense nor fit.

And one of my beefs, the clumsy plural. Has anyone anywhere every uttered or wrote PTAS?

-Whiner, formerly known as Cross Eyed (not CED)

Whiner said...

"ever" uttered, not "every"

unclefred said...

FIR in quite a bit longer time than usual for a Tuesday. (I seem to be saying that about every day!) but doable in the end. Living in SOFLO it thought of Naples Florida, and wanted to write MARCOISLAND, but only two letters fit the perps. I am literally drinking a can of V-8 as I do the CW; then “Oy, Italy!” hit me. W/O = TBCU:HBCU (I was thinking Traditional), WIG:TAG, IDOTHIS:IDOTHAT. A friend of mine fell and broke the head of the humerus of her right arm. She said it was not at all funny. DNK: MULAN. ERSATZ is a cool sounding word. Nice CW: fun theme, nice cluing, not too many names. Thanx JD. Thanx too to Hahtoolah for the terrific (as always) write-up.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends.

D-O: South Louisiana is such a party town, who would have thought that Milk and not alcohol would be the state drink. Chalk it up to feel-good legislation and a strong dairy lobby.

QOD: Our frustration is greater when we have much and want more than when we have nothing and want some. ~ Eric Hoffer (July 15, 1902 ~ May 21, 1983), American moral and social philosopher

KS said...

FIR. I found this to be just a little crunchy for a Tuesday crossword. HBCU had me puzzled for a time, and I wasn't familiar with Amalfi, Italy.
Got the theme early on and threw down ski instructor with ease.

TTP said...


Thank you Joe Deeney, and thank you, Hahtoolah.

Just over 5 minutes today, and amazingly (for me) no typos! FTW! - For The Win!

Hahtoolah, when I read the clue, my first thought for "Black and White cookie" was exactly what you pictured, but at four letters, it had to be OREO.

SEABEE, from CB, for Construction Battalion. One of my golfing buddies is proud of his service as a Seabee during the Vietnam War.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-ANN Southern was a welcome fill to those of us of a certain age
-When it came to alcohol, my dad and brother could never just have A FEW
-Volleyballers use their ULNA and football players are more likely to use their humerus
-In the film/Broadway show Jersey Boys, Joe Pesci introduces Frankie Valli, ET AL to Bob Gaudio who writing really put the Four Season on the map
-My neighbor got fired from our chicken plant here in town and a RE-LO company is moving him to Arkansas where he quickly found a new job
-John Wayne played a SEABEE in a movie and I remember him driving one of their caterpillars toward hostile fire using the big blade as a shield

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR with no erasure, but it took a few passes to get it all.

HBCU joins OREO, ENO and ELO in today's trite fill march.

Minnesota's state bird had to be LOON, because "mosquito" wouldn't fit.

When I used to go to all the big sailboat shows (well, LA, Miami and Annapolis anyway,) I used to enjoy the landlubbers talk about how nice a boat's "salon" was. It's a SALOON, shore boy! (The salespeople would just nod their head and say "isn't it?")

At the end of this season's Below Decks - Sailing Yacht on Bravo, the guests requested an ABC beach outing. The captain had to explain to his young crew that they meant "Anything But Clothes."

DNK Duolingo, and thought that it must be the Temple University mascot's name.

Racing greyhounds are typically raised on high protein, low calcium diets. As a result they tend to have relatively soft teeth, so no Nylabones for Zoё.

DW and I stayed in a small motel carved into the cliffs along the AMALFI Coast. They took your passport when you checked in, and you had to exchange your room key for your passport when leaving for the day. We also had to let them know by noon if we would be having dinner in the restaurant that day, so they would know how much stuff to buy. Food was unbelievably good, and the price of wine was just a little more than what we paid in a wine shop in town. (The US norm is that restaurants usually sell wine for twice the wine store price.)

FLN: Good to hear from you, Leo. I like the way your gramps thought.

Thanks to Joe for the fun challenge. My favorite was ERSATZ. What a fun word! And thanks to Ha2la for the chuckles. If you aren't gonna eat those JALAPENO wheels (AKA Mexican pickles), can I have them?

Husker Gary said...

Addendum
-Not taking to Joann to Oppenheimer was a very good move on my part. If you think the blizzard of names here is daunting, this movie is three hours of “you ain’t seen nothing yet” even for a physics teacher. I enjoyed the science more than the drone of the tedious philosophizing and certainly more than the two most gratuitous sex scenes I have ever seen.

billocohoes said...

Between ELO and ENO, do either play xword's favorite music genre, emo?

CrossEyedDave said...

testing for Irish Miss

CrossEyedDave said...

Hi guys!

Sorry, but I have not done the puzzle yet, so I can't read the blog without spoiling my experience.
But had to post, because, I start my day by reading my emails, once, and only once a day, because of all the ads.
To my pleasant surprise, I found the following email!

Hi Mr. Imp:

Would you mind posting this on the blog with a notation that it is the Piggy Bank I mentioned in my post earlier?

Any instructions about how I can learn to embed from my iPad would be appreciated.

Hope all is well in your world.

Agnes ☘️

Anywho...
I would love to show you have I accomplished posting your photo, but quite honestly, it was a 45 minute learning experience for myself! I haven't had breakfast, or done the puzzle, or anything because of all the trials and tribulations...

To try and explain, normally, it would be a two minute copy and paste. But because your photo was on an email, I had to jump thru a few hoops.

1) to post a photo, it has to be on the internet, and not in your personal files. Facebook is possible, but requires extra hoop jumping by your viewers to get past signing in to Facebook with your password. Explaining that would be a whole nother chapter...

I post the subject photo to "Shutterfly," because they are free. (Irish Miss, they will put your photo on a coffee mug if you want to pay for it) but you can use any photo library service to create a share link.

The problem I had is that shutterfly's upload program only takes photos from your photo library, and not from your emails.
In order to get your photo to the interns from your email. I had to copy the photo to a notes file, and then download the note to my photo library, and then upload the photo to Shutterfly, to get them to share it with blogger.

If there is an easier way, I would like to know.

In the meantime, if anyone wants a pic posted, just email it to me.
Note: do not email "CrossEyedDave" @ gmail, I never read that one, I only created it to create a blogger account.
My real email is at optonline.net but I shouldn't post it my email here. So email it to Irish Miss, and she can email it to me, and then I can do all the above and miss breakfast. (I'm trying to lose weight anyway)

(Or, it might possibly be I just complicate th8ngs to much...)

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Joe (9D CSO) and Hahtoolah.
I thought that I FIRed, but arrived here to discover that we were drinking THAI ICCED TEA, not Chai.
INT makes more sense than my Inc (but what is Pt. abbreviation for in this clue?).
I did see the double I’s.

I see ERSATZ frequently in WWII novels referring to coffee substitutes. I just finished The Paris Daughter by Kristin Harmel - great book and I recommend.
This Canadian had to wait for perps for the unknown to me HBCU. Similar issues with ABC as clued.

I saw a spicy mini theme with TANG, JALAPEÑO, THAI clues.
I also noted ENO/ELO (and SLO), but no Emo today.
We had a PET Pig, CAT and DOG TOY, plus an OWL, LOON and TOUCAN.
A DOZEN eggs for our OMELET.

Wishing you all a great day.

Irish Miss said...

CED @ 8:33 and 8:56 ~ I apologize for causing you so much agita. I had no idea that my simple (or so I thought!) request would require such tortuous maneuvers. Thanks for all of your efforts and do or die attitude! 👏🤣

desper-otto said...

CanadianEh!, that "pt." is an awkward "part" abbreviation. Interest (INT) is part of a loan payment.

Would a long time for a Teacup Pig be a PIGEON?

Big Easy said...

A tougher than usual puzzle for a Tuesday. FIW. We didn't have a TV in the 1950s, I don't have a dog, and haven't been to ITALY. That would REDUCE my odds of a FIR today and it did. I correctly got JAL-A-PENO instead of JAL-O-PENO but guessed wrong on ALALFI with AMARFI.

MAISEL or MAISER; AMALFI or AMARFI- either choice looked just as good.
HOW R U? It's no wonder people can't spell these days.
THAI ICED TEA- that was perps as was PET for "Teacup pig".

Yellowrocks said...

I liked the puzzle and found it had the normal Tues. difficulty. Great theme. Susan, I love your write-ups.
Unclefred, at 85 I find everything takes longer than before, including crosswords, except for the zip, zip, done Mondays. It is unimaginable how much more I accomplished in a day when I worked full time and volunteered many hours than I accomplish now.
Those darn tags do not tickle me. They often rub my nape raw. Sometimes the dryer makes the tag a little crisp and so it becomes more irritating. I cut them off. I am glad for the printed tags and the ones sewn in the side seams.
I had INT already so I didn't drown in the CHAI tea.
I got ALMAFI from just one perp. The A in RAGA suggest COAST. OOPs, another perp said ITALY. Amalfi was on my bucket list which now has kicked the bucket.
My Prime
Videos featured the Mrs. Maisel movie. I tried it. Meh.
Another reason people can't spell is Spellcheck. That's why one of my students said that learning to spell was unnecessary.
HBCU has appeared here several times.
EYE contact with a misbehaving student or son often works better than a scolding. A raised eyebrow and stare, gets quicker and more pleasant compliance.
As a kid I was somehow intrigued with Ann Sothern's spelling of her surname, so I knew it.
OWL was all perps.
When you have each kid in a different school you belong to several PTAs.

RosE said...

Good Morning! Tricky Tuesday! Thanks, Joe, for the challenge.
Lots of WOs today as I tried to put a few round pegs into square holes, but I prevailed in the end to FIR.
I saw the theme only after I read the reveal AHA! Nice!
ESP: OWL
Loved the SKI INSTRUCTOR toon and the OOPS air turbulence. Thanks, Hah2lah
“Real” black & white cookie – some of us would say it should start with a chocolate cookie….
JALAPENO on pizza? I actually prefer variation of white pizza, namely a local one called Mediterranean with sliced tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic and mozzarella cheese. Yum!
My DVR, which is part of my cable package, is still TiVo.
PBJ aka Probation Before Judgement, a common traffic ticket result. Won’t tell you how I know that……
Nylabone – after many chews they can develop sharp points from the bitemarks and cause bleeding in the mouth. Not good.

Monkey said...

Lovely CW this morning. I started with the reveal, so had no trouble with the theme, in fact really liked it. The last to fill was HAVE OVER., otherwise, no OOPS.

This time we have ICED with a “d”.

JALAPEÑO on a pizza!

CED, I had to rest after reading your photo posting instructions. I wonder how Picard is able to post the many photos he does.

IM☘️ nice piggy bank.

Hahtoolah, thanks for the as usual fun and informative recap. I agree with you about Louisiana’s drink. Milk could be North LA’s drink and BEER South LA’s.

desper-otto said...

Tante Nique, the secret to posting photos is that they must be saved on-line. Then you can link to the online location. You can't link to the hard-drive on your computer.

RosE said...

CED & IM, thanks for the photo!! Loved it!! When I saw it described in the blog the other day, I had a hard time imagining what it looked like. Now I know - so sweet!!

CrossEyedDave said...

eye contact?

Irish Miss,
No agita, it was fun! A puzzle to be solved! I live for those Aha moments!

Whiner (not CED)
i dunno bout that moniker...
(We tend t9 resemble our self appointed aliases after a while)
(I could have been "Old FlameOut.")
How bout, CrossEyed(insert your name here...)

waseeley said...

Thank you Joe -- your theme reminded me of a previous visitor we've had to the Corner.

And thank you for the hilarity Hahtoolah and for the trailer from one of my fav films, "The Seventh Seal". Was it a veiled reference to the current hysteria about Oppenheimer, who was also haunted by death.

Some favs:

15A OREO. "Cookie" would suffice.

18A ESAU. JACOB needs a PR rep. Maybe if he shortened his name to JACO he'd fit?

49A AMALFI ITALY. Am I reading that map wrong, or is AMALFI "North" of Naples?

65A. TERP. The Diamondback Terrapin is Maryland's state turtle. Unlike the Snapping Turtle in the mascot, they're actually rather docile.

51D LOON. My favorite bird, and also a CSO to C.C. and CanadianEh!

62D. CAT. They're not too bright, but they always manage to get what they want.

Cheers,
Bill

Monkey said...

Thanks, d-o@ 10:30.

Lucina said...

Hola!

I love the word ERSATZ! Thank you, Joe Deeney for a fun-filled puzzle. I see that you managed to get your name in it!

AMALFI, ITAL;Y recalls some good memories of that sunny coast.

PBJ is a satisfying snack in mid-afternoon. And an OMELET is sometimes just right for dinner.

All my girls, daughter and grand-daughters, loved MULAN and watched it over and over and over ......

BOAS make a fun accessory to a costume.

I'm watching my gr-grandson so must go now.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Lucina said...

Yes. I like JALAPENOS in my OMELET!

waseeley said...

CED @8:56 AM Anybody who uses Google has a personal cloud-based file server called Google Drive. Look for this icon on your speed bar. Click on it and then

1. Click the drop down menu My Drive in the upper left corner.
2. Select File upload and
3. Key in local filename you wish to display and it will be added to the file list on the left.
4. Select the file to display, right-click, and select Share.
5. From the pop-up window click Anyone with link and Copy link.
6. To insert the link in your comment use this snippit of HTML.
7. Use Preview to view the linked text. If you want to test it right-click on the link, but be sure to open it in a separate window, otherwise Blogger will discard you comment window.

This will take some experimentation to get it right, but it's actually pretty straightforward.

Cheers,
Bill

Wilbur Charles said...

Misty's gonna have a field day

Anonymous said...

This is Ray O. Replaced my old android for an I phone yesterday.
Can’t sign on to the blog unless I keep typing Ray O moniker each time. Tried signing on with my g mail account but won’t work. Any suggestions?

CrossEyedDave said...

Waseeley,
Thank you!

I will give it a try, but I use Safari on an iPad. No google drive symbol anywhere...
(I do have chrome loaded, just haven't used it)
AND, if I remember correctly, when I started up my new PC, I was force fed a bunch of apps I didn't want.
I think I deleted drive when it asked me for money for more space.
(Not sure bout that)
(Everything asks me for money these days, and I don't have any, so out that app goes...)

Anywho, help Ray-O with his new IPhone!
(I would try, but my experience with iPhones would be throw it in the ground and stomp on it a couple of times, and see if it works better...)


Jinx in Norfolk said...

H. Gary said "...the drone of the tedious philosophizing and certainly more than the two most gratuitous sex scenes I have ever seen." Something about that makes me want to go see the flick sooner rather than later. BTW, the film's trailer implied that a person pushed a "fire" button to set off the gadget in New Mexico. Wallace's book said that the countdown and firing was on auto, but that there was a button that a person could have pushed to interrupt the firing sequence had something unexpected arise. How did they fire it in the movie?

Wilbur Charles said...

As a kid in 50s we preferred LF Grandstand(where Ted roamed). Later it was CF bleachers at a buck plus one could drink beer there but nowhere else

As one journeys N on the west side of NH one passes LOON Mtn and the Kankamanga trail which connects to the East side of NH

I filled HBCU perp by perp but needed hahtoolah to explain
And…
Only got the theme at the end when I searched back for it

Gary there are two of us in the Corner that gave it up completely

Remember "Do not remove tag!" Or else what?

I think Picard effectively uses the CLOUD to store and display pix

WC

waseeley said...

Jinx @1:23 PM Surely it's not a coincidence that within two years of the atomic explosion at Alamogordo, UFOs began appearing in the skies over New Mexico. 😁

sumdaze said...

Thanks JOE for a delightful Tues. puzzle. I loved the reveal! Last fill was to change REw to REC to get RACERS.

Thx to CED & IM for the corn piggy bank. I could not picture it yesterday. Very cute!

D-O @ 5:40. I'm happy to hear you got your music back!

Whiner @ 6:31. That was good of you to try a different moniker. Do stick around.
= )

Thank you for your excellent (as always) write-up, Hahtoolah. That was an interesting bit of trivia about BRAM. I also liked the State Symbol links. I wonder what other States have a State Soil.
Hand up for not guessing "milk" for LA but I did know about your state dog because my dog is half Catahoula Leopard Dog and half Lab. She loves her DOGTOYs. A minute ago she barked her concern when I played Waseeley's LOON call.

Hahtoolah said...

HG: I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of Oppenheimer. I should think that names of the scientists ~ Einstein, Fermi, Bohr, Feynman ~ should be familiar to any junior high student with a modicum of science education. While Leslie Groves and Lewis Strauss are not household names, since they are leading characters in the movie, their role in the development of the bomb should not confuse the moviegoer. I found the film quite interesting as it delved into the background and politics of its origin. I agree the sex scenes were unnecessary to the story, but she was an historical figure who was romantically linked to Oppenheimer.

desper-otto said...

Hahtoolah, wasn't Groves the same guy who was in charge of construction of the Pentagon?

desper-otto said...

Waseeley, "62D. CAT. They're not too bright, but they always manage to get what they want." Cats and dogs are of approximately equal intelligence. The difference is that dogs want to please you, while cats want you to please them.

Ol' Man Keith said...

Hahtoolah gives us this Deeney PZL!

TANG. To this day, the mother of my sons swears it was her drinking cognac (!) with TANG (!!) that caused our first-born to start her into labor a couple of days early!
We were at a drama student party, and she woke up early in the morning. I drove her the 3 blocks to the hospital. Jeremy was born 12 hours later.
Of course, this was way back, before anyone learned not to drink alcohol during pregnancy. (It didn't seem to affect our son.)

MULAN. I wonder how many Asian story-telling traditions stole the "Girl-dressing-as-a-Boy" idea from Shakespeare...?
Or was it the other way around?
~ OMK
____________
DR:
No diagonals!--4 the 2nd day in a row.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

JOE got his name into the grid. And a mighty-fine grid it was... I had to really noodle the Texas area.

Thank you Hahtoolah for an entertaining & educating expo - but how is The Hurricane not LA's state drink?

WO: RAvi -> RAGA
ESPs: AMALFI(?)
Fav: WEES - ERSATZ. Not only fun but a word I've only read and still don't know how to pronounce.

Imprinted logos on an undershirt doesn't bother my neck. DW says I'm a big baby 'cuz minor things like paper TAGs irritates my skin. //and you don't need that on your underpants.

I've read all of Feynman's books and even understood a few of his papers. Bohr was easier to understand. Schrodinger was way out there but right. And I useta' could solve his tunneling equations for electron tunneling for semiconductors.
//Did someone mention RUSH? Oh yeah, that was me.

FLN - Lovely to see you post again LEO III. Did you see the photo of us on 7/9 that C.C. kindly posted?
FLN - CED: I will try that zipper hack on my old backpack.

I'd like to help, Ray-O, but I'm feverish today. Got up at 5:30, showered and made my coffee but wasn't fit for duty. Sick days are a God-send. //not that I didn't get much done this afternoon, just not up to par. Have you logged into Google / crosswordcorner on your new iThing?

I'm spent so I'm going to go study the back of my EYElids.

Cheers, -T

AnonymousPVX said...

Anyone who watched BBT would have a good handle on the physicists in the movie.

“Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.”

waseeley said...

D-O & PVX -- LOL! I know whereof I speak -- I've served a few in my time.

waseeley said...

OMK @4:43 PM And Willie got it from the Italians.

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle and all your comments.

As for posting to this blog and logging in to Google on an iPhone, I gave up trying to do it. I think I have the same experience as Ray-O, having to sign in with my moniker every time. No problem on an iPad, though. Weird. Mostly I use my desktop PC to do the puzzle and post here.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

DO, yup, under Groves the 6 million square foot Pentagon was built for $31 million ($620 million in today"s dollars) in less than a year and a half.

Anonymous said...

I was delighted to see a reference to our Sea Bees based in Port Hueneme CA. They were our construction battalion in The Pacific during WWII. We visited their bases while on a World War II cruise with many veterans.
There is an excellent documentary titled To End All War: Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb by the same filmmaker.

Anonymous T said...

@8:25 - Salute! Both my grandfathers served WWII #GreatestGeneration. -T