google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday July 23, 2023 Enrique Henestroza Anguiano

Advertisements

Jul 23, 2023

Sunday July 23, 2023 Enrique Henestroza Anguiano

(No write-up today. Internet issue. If you have any questions, please ask in the Comments section).

 

Theme: "Moving Parts" - Anagrams of CAMEO are hidden inside each theme entry.


27. *Contact the Better Business Bureau, say: LODGE A COMPLAINT.
36. *"We're glad you joined the team!": WELCOME ABOARD.
49. *Summer treat: ICE CREAM CONE.
65. *Request at some stage shows: NO CAMERAS PLEASE.
86. *Some home entertainment systems: GAME CONSOLES.
95. *Indoor roller coaster at Disney Parks: SPACE MOUNTAIN.
Reveal:
110. Small film role, and a feature of the answer to each starred clue?: CAMEO APPEARANCE.


Across:

1. Dry-eyes solution: SALINE.

7. Up to the task: ABLE.

11. Brain wave: IDEA.

15. Guerrero greeting: HOLA.

19. TV spots: PROMOS.

20. Ukrainian, e.g.: SLAV.

21. __ Rangoon: seafood-filled appetizer: CRAB.

22. Taxing load: ONUS.

23. Straying: ERRANT.

24. Sleeveless top, briefly: CAMI.

25. Angry goose noise: HISS.

26. __ performance: PEAK.

30. Boyfriends: BEAUS.

31. Too cute: TWEE.

32. Tater bite: TOT.

33. Sausage ingredient: PORK.

34. Staff at sea: MAST.

35. In medias __: RES.

41. Prefer: FAVOR.

45. Subarctic forest: TAIGA.

47. "The Celts" singer from Ireland: ENYA.

48. __-dye: TIE.

52. Ornamental molding: CORNICE.

54. Painter Magritte: RENE.

55. Actor Estrada: ERIK.

56. Plane tracker: RADAR.

59. During: AMID.

60. Spanish state: ESTADO.

62. Krill consumers: WHALES.

64. Fateful signs: OMENS.

70. "Washington Journal" channel: C-SPAN.

73. Remote button with "+" and "-": VOLUME.

74. Work clumsily (through): MUDDLE.

78. Baseball family name: ALOU.

79. Attach, as a button: SEW ON.

80. Subway price: FARE.

83. Subway line: RAIL.

84. Bureaucratic holdup: RED TAPE.

90. NYE month: DEC.

91. "In so __ words": MANY.

93. "Not exactly": SORTA.

94. Weigh in: OPINE.

99. Upcycling initials: DIY.

101. Phoenix NBA team: SUNS.

102. First-time Fortnite player, e.g.: NOOB.

103. Confession confession: SIN.

104. Pancake shape: DISK.

108. "¿Cómo está __?": USTED.

114. Zoomed: SPED.

115. Ceremonial Maori dance: HAKA.

116. ESPNU topic: NCAA.

117. Business-speak: JARGON.

118. Earthy hue: ECRU.

119. Zealous: AVID.

120. Diamond authorities: UMPS.

121. From time immemorial: AGE-OLD.

122. Hoarse tone: RASP.

123. Clothing lines: HEMS.

124. Clothing line: SEAM.

125. Unmissable tourist experience, say: MUST DO.

Down:

1. Dinkel wheat: SPELT.

2. Shape on some road signs: ARROW.

3. "Your Silence Will Not Protect You" poet/activist Audre: LORDE.

4. Visual: IMAGE.

5. __ of the above: NONE.

6. Gosford Park, e.g.: ESTATE.

7. Broad tie: ASCOT.

8. Sound of a prank cigar: BLAM.

9. Genie's confines: LAMP.

10. Scheme cooked up by a film villain: EVIL PLAN.

11. Suzuki who racked up an MLB record 262 hits in a single season: ICHIRO.

12. Wonderland message: DRINK ME.

13. Down __: Maine nickname: EAST.

14. Situp muscles: ABS.

15. "Counting on it!": HOPE SO.

16. "Wait your turn": ONE AT A TIME.

17. Party named for taro leaves: LUAU.

18. Invites (out): ASKS.

28. Share top billing: COSTAR.

29. Rep. from the Bronx: AOC.

30. Crown-wearing literary elephant: BABAR.

34. City boss: MAYOR.

35. 2022 film with the Oscar-winning song "Naatu Naatu": RRR.

36. Trimmable candle part: WICK.

37. Psyche element: EGO.

38. Box up: ENCASE.

39. Toxin found in castor beans: RICIN.

40. Accomplishments: DEEDS.

41. Campsite warmer: FIRE.

42. Air Force heroes: ACES.

43. Dryer outlet: VENT.

44. Undersea explorer: OCEANAUT.

46. "__ glad to see you!": AMI.

50. Workers' rights org.: EEOC.

51. Dry-__ board: ERASE.

53. Casually mention a famous friend, say: NAME-DROP.

57. Zugspitze, e.g.: ALP.

58. "Traffic" actor Benicio __ Toro: DEL.

61. Actor Cheadle: DON.

62. Twisted dry: WRUNG.

63. Cordon bleu meat: HAM.

64. Stillwater sch.: OSU.

66. Eczema treatment brand: AVEENO.

67. Do a yard chore: MOW.

68. Chess rating system: ELO.

69. "I can relate!": AMEN.

70. Requests identification: CARDS.

71. Shut-eye: SLEEP.

72. The "Only Murders in the Building" protagonists, e.g.: PODCASTERS.

75. Surrealist painter with a book about his mustache: DALI.

76. Property claim: LIEN.

77. "Above all __ ... ": ELSE.

79. Sends email destined for the trash: SPAMS.

80. Bracken, for one: FERN.

81. Play part or play a part: ACT.

82. Tour technician: ROADIE.

85. Adjust, as a law: AMEND.

87. "On top of that ... ": AS A BONUS.

88. "Little ol' me?": MOI.

89. __ sauce: SOY.

92. South Korean figure skater who won a gold medal at the Vancouver Olympics: YUNA KIM.

96. Ready to play: CUED UP.

97. Peripatetic folks: NOMADS.

98. __ the line: TOE.

100. Really stuck: IN A JAM.

103. Twitch: SPASM.

104. Has the nerve: DARES.

105. Metal bar: INGOT.

106. Tell off: SCOLD.

107. Martial art with bamboo swords: KENDO.

108. Apple consumer?: USER.

109. Pet re-homing org.: SPCA.

110. Spelunking site: CAVE.

111. Tiptop: ACME.

112. "__ Loves Mambo": PAPA.

113. Prego competitor: RAGU.

115. "Yeah, I bet!": HAH.




35 comments:

Subgenius said...

I didn’t catch the “hint” to the theme at the time I started this puzzle, so I had no idea what it was until I solved the reveal. Then, I finally got it, although it still seems a bit obscure. Also, the “K” in “Yuna Kim” was a total WAG. Other than that, I didn’t have too much trouble with this puzzle. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

That K at the YUNAKIM/HAKA cross was not OK...at least for d-o. Tried an L. I'll accept the one bad square and move on. On the positive side, d-o read the full reveal clue and saw the scrambled CAMEOs. This one turned into a quick non-solve. Thanx, Enrique and C.C. (Hope your internet issues have been resolved.)

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning

I finished w/o help in 30+ minutes but the Yuna Kim/Haka crossing was a lucky WAG. I don’t like to use the term unfair in crossword critiquing, but I’m afraid it applies here. Other than that blemish, there was a lot to like, IMO. Usually, scrambled words are fairly easy to spot as the solve progresses but that wasn’t the case today, at least not for me. The themers were very strong, solid, in the language phrases, with seemingly no commonality and the title, while spot on for the reveal, wasn’t solve-specific, again, not to me, anyway. The overall difficulty level was more challenging than the standard Sunday, with the usual obscure C/As such as Taiga, Haka, Lorde, ELO, as clued, Yuna Kim, and Kendo, but the perps were fair. Also in the plus column was the impressively low number (23-I counted three times, DO, 🤣) of three letter words. In the minus column was the staggering number (15) of fill-in-the-blanks clues, a shortcut trend which, apparently, the editing staff favors.

Thanks, Enrique, for a Sunday workout with lots of pluses and thanks, CC, for your Sunday Sherpa duties. Hope your Internet issues are resolved promptly.

Have a great day.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

DNF, Googling for SPELT. Then I erased visine for SALINE (which I use every day), but by then I had tired of the puzzle and threw in erring for ERRANT. Missed the Natick at HAlA x YUNAlIM.

I won't rate this one a total waste of time, but not particularly fulfilling either.

DirecTV and the media company that owns our local Fox and NBC outlets are feuding, so if I want to watch the end of The Open Championship I'll have to trek to the third floor where I have an over-the-air setup. But first, waffles with maple syrup and bacon!

KS said...

FIR. Started off on the wrong foot when I threw down Murine at 1A. NW was the last to fall when I saw the reveal and got "lodge a complaint".
Several unknowns for me such as kendo and Yuna Kim, and the latter crossing with haka required a WAG to solve it.

desper-otto said...

IM, yes HAM, smack-dab in the middle, allows for an odd total number.

KS, in my ute we thought the height of humor was to scratch the M off the plastic Murine bottle.

CrossEyedDave said...

WEES...

a cameo is a small roll?

blink and you miss em..

Now, where's that Alfred Hitchcock clip...

Lee said...

FIW. Didn't know about spelt wheat. Went with BOOB for 102A. Rest was a piece of cake. The "K" in YUNAKIM was fairly obvious since Kim is a common name in Korea. I agree the 92D and 102A and 115A was a bit unfair, DO.

In the category of 125A, my suggestion is the Biltmore estate in Asheville NC. Quite a bit to see and the house itself is a marvel of 19th century engineering. Best of all is the winery. If you stay on the estate, the tastings are free, as well as access to the rest of the attractions.

The puzzle theme was enjoyable as all the theme answers were "in the language " phrases. Fine job, Enrique. Thanks to CC. for the review.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Ernesto is a “data scientist” from Oakland, CA. who likes Voodoo doughnuts
-In medias RES or MES? I had RES for a really long time but thought MR R made more sense than RRR. Other unknown names and terms went quietly.
-I finally “saw” SALINE instead of VISINE
-Rock ‘n Roller Coaster is three times faster but SPACE MOUNTAIN is in complete darkness
-As of 10am this morning, no one seems up to the task of catching Brian Harman at the British Open
-They all will need a DRYER today as they are playing in a steady rain
-In Meet Me In St. Louis, Judy Garland introduced a Christmas classic with this lyric, “Someday soon we all will be together, if the fates allow. Until then we’ll have to MUDDLE through somehow”
-This UMP is an internet sensation!
-A golfer I play with called me ICHIRO, because I lift my front foot when I swing
-MOW – Many neighbors have come over to ask about my EGO electric mower
-AS A BONUS scam: “Buy one and we’ll send you a free second one, just pay shipping and handling.”

Picard said...

I do go for the reveal as soon as possible, so CAMEO APPEARANCE came early. A small help in the solve.

Hand up about the crossed unknowns. As noted by Lee I know that KIM is a common name in Korea. My last fill was the utterly unknown cross of ?RR and ?ES. Learning moment about the movie and the term IN MEDIAS RES. WAG to FIR.

Learning moment that OCEANAUT is a word. Also a brand name of watches, apparently.

As promised yesterday, here is my edited video of a truly UNMISSABLE TOURIST EXPERIENCE that was a MUST DO.

Did anyone here hear about this VOLCANIC eruption that occurred right where we were? Please note that this is a video, not a photo.

From Yesterday:
AnonT, sumdaze, CanadianEh Thank you for the kind words and welcome back.

Lucina Way cool that you and I both have a nephew named AARON.

Charlie Echo said...

FIW, but not a total waste of time. I still have no idea what naatu naatu or rrr is. Most of it was sussable, and Wagged lucky on Kim.

Anonymous said...

I had “Visine” instad of saline for 1a so the NW corner is was the last to fill in. The New Zealond national Rugby 🏉 Team is called the “ All Blacks” as their uniforms are all black. The team does a “Haka” just before the start of a game for good luck. The ferocity of it must send shivers up their opponents spines… this puzzle was a bit of a challenge today but thoroughly enjoyed it…. kkFlorida

Cross Eyed said...

I guess I'm the only one who never heard the word TWEE?

Lucina said...

Hola!

Yea! I finished a Sunday puzzle before leaving today. It's always tedious but also satisfying. Most of it filled quickly with only a few unfamiliar words/phrases. However, I will not LODGE A COMPLAINT.

Being an AVID reader I come across many of those oddities such as TAIGA and of course, USTED as in COMO ESTA USTED is second nature or more accurately, my second language.

Not familiar to me ARE YUNA KIM AND KENDO

Yes, Picard, that is cool! My late B-I-L claimed to have Jewish ancestry.

Have a joyful Sunday, everyone!

Malodorous Manatee said...

Me neither, CED.

desper-otto said...

TWEE: CED, that's understandable, considering it's of Australian origin. Just kidding. It's primarily British, but we've seen it here before.

Anonymous said...

Excellent volcano picture (video shot)! Thanks for sharing, Picard.

CrossEyedDave said...

Please be advised that "Cross Eyed" @12:00pm is not CED...

If it were me, I would have posted something like this for "twee..."

waseeley said...

Thank you Enrique for your CAMEO this day in bringing us this Sunday amusement.

And thank you C.C. for providing us with the answers, the theme explanation (which as usual went right over my head), and with the big ROLE you play in making the Corner happen.

Some favs:

27A CRAB. My favorite crustacean. Here's a recipe for Crab Rangoon

47A ENYA. Here is The Celts.

54A RENE. This is not a pipe.

115A HAKA. All's fair in RUGBY and WAR.

35D RRR. Naatu Naatu was composed by MM Keeravaani.

FLN

Thanks Dr. Ed and Gary. I don't wanna to talk about it.

Cheers,
Bill

Cross Eyed said...

CED, I'll use a different handle to avoid confusion. That was never my intent.

Cross Eyed, signing off

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk say...

Lee @10:02 - I'll second Biltmore as a MUST SEE. They had electric lighting in a basement pool and an intercom system!

A Cessna over a volcano? Are you nuts, Picard? //Your pilot is too for agreeing :-)
Cool video.

@Charlie Echo - I Googled: RRR is an acronym for "Roudram Ranam Rudhiram," which can be roughly translated from Telugu as "Fierce Death Blood," or to follow the original title's alliteration, "Rise Roar Revolt." These words are key to RRR's plot, which centers around Raju and Bheem's revolution against the British Empire and their use of wilderness to achieve it.
I'd never heard of the Indian movie either and will probably forget it before dinner.

CED - we will accept no imitations :-)
//Cross Eyed - I'm kidding. Sans avatar there was no confusion (by most(?))

#nerdAlert
I just finished two 36 command SPL (Splunk Query Language) scripts that 1) emails your boss if you share file(s) (and the names & paths of files shared) 2nd) emails you and your boss when file(s) is / are accessed (and who accessed from what IP).
It's part of my poor-man's DLP (Data Loss Prevention) effort. Took me a week(ish) of testing but everything (even catching spelling of "stueward" wrong) is ready for QA.

I need a nap before next task (grilling dinner).

Cheers, -T

OwenKL said...

Some fans go to gaming cons with a goal
To cosplay a favorite character and role.
Some games are exciting
With fake street fighting,
So cosplayers shoes have GAMECON SOLES!

There once was a beauty (restrain us!)
Who attracted BEAUS plain and famous!
But then they would part
When she started to fart.
Alas, the girl's ONUS was her anus!

{B, A-.}

Anonymous said...

35A RES. The opening line of Virgil's Aenid begins with the words In medias res

CrossEyedDave said...

Cross eyed @1:49

No worries!
Go blue, pick an avatar, come join the party!

(You just don't want to be confused as me, I'm known to be a bit of a troublemaker...)

Lucina said...

CED
No one should be confused for you! You are a unique trouble maker. Just kidding. We love you and I believe I can speak for the Corner in that regard.!

I just returned from the grocery store since my pantry and refrigerator needed replenishing and I now believe all that I've heard on the news about inflation! Milk! Eggs! Cereal! Meat! All have increased in price since I left. Even lowly celery is expensive! I'm just glad I don't have more mouths to feed and feel very bad for those who do.

Jayce said...

I enjoyed working on this puzzle.

sumdaze said...

Thank you, Enrique for your puzzle! The unaltered themers had me questioning my answers. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. The reveal remained hidden to me until I reached it, making for a fun solve.
I am happy to learn the phrase "in medias RES". I was aware of the convention but did not know it had a name.
C.C., thank you for creating this discussion forum!

PK said...

Lucina, I agree groceries are getting expensive. Last week I had a bad experience. I ordered over $300 worth of groceries to be delivered from my regular nationally known store by a nationally known shopper-delivery service. I got a text that she-shopper had checked out (charging to my credit card, of course). When she had not arrived at my home an hour later, I texted the store, concerned because I had a lot of frozen food. After a few strange messages, they texted me that a man was now shopping my order. When he brought my groceries to the house a short time later, he apologized for me getting a "bad shopper" who stole my groceries. Later I got a receipt message that showed my first shopping was now paid for by a credit card that was not mine, thank goodness. The order delivered by the man was charged to MY credit card as it should be. Since I have not been able to do a grocery shopping for the past five years, I rely on these deliveries every other week. Hope this is an isolated case.

Anonymous said...

sumdaze @7:09 PM As I said earlier "In medias res" "(in the middle of things") is the opening line of the Aeniad, said by Aeneas, a refugee from the Trojan War. But he says it half way to found Rome, in the arms of Dido, the Queen of Carthage, relating the story of his flight from Troy.

waseeley said...

sumdaze @7:09 AM For some reason Blogger has logged me at on my cell phone (I think it has something to do with the failure of the Chrome browser). I am Anonymous @8:07 PM.

Cheers,
Bill

Big Easy said...

Very easy today except for a couple of places. Never heard of the movie RRR or its song "Naatu Naatu".
The cross of UNA KIM and HAKU should be illegal. But KIM is a very common Korean name.
The puzzle should have been named "Moving MOVIE Parts" for the CAMEO APPEARANCEs.

1A. Could have been VISINE, MURINE, or SALINE. SPELT and LORDE were both unknowns.
Cross Eyed @12:00PM I learned TWEE from crosswords and the disqualified the Visine and Murine.
OCEANAUT- filled AQUANAUT first
ELO for 'Chess rating'- a new one for me,
ESTATE and PODCASTERS were guesses for the unknown clues.

Gary- about your left foot lift, ARNOLD PALMER also did it. He did okay.

NAME DROP- I've met a lot of famous people, mainly golfers, tennis players, and football players on the golf course or at tennis meetings' "meet and greet" sessions but would they remember me? Ain't no way. But the one person I remember most is the billionaire H.L. Hunt back when I was in high school. Weren't too many billionaires back then. Getty, Howard Hughes, and Hunt.



Michael said...

FYI.... [Never heard of this either. If you graduate, do you go to EMO status?]

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arpad Elo, the inventor of the Elo rating system. The Elo[a] rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in zero-sum games such as chess. It is named after its creator Arpad Elo, a Hungarian-American physics professor.

The Elo system was invented as an improved chess-rating system over the previously used Harkness system, but is also used as a rating system in association football, American football, baseball, basketball, pool, table tennis, various board games and esports, and more recently large language models."

Anonymous T said...

PK - good on them they made you whole. Does your local grocer not offer delivery w/o the extra service?

Michael - my chess game falls in the low thousands (not certified). I played some scratch-game w/ guys at Defcon in '19 and got my butt kicked (as they were playing 2 others!). Chess.com's puzzles put me at ~12hundred but I think they're lying to keep me hooked.

I can name drop too Big-E. But, you win on personal relationships as mine are mostly 2 degrees of separation (and the famous folks never knew I was even there ;-))

Ok, so no one else thought "Naatu Naatu" sounded like Nanu Nanu?

Cheers, -T

Wilbur Charles said...

PODCAST shows up again from last Sunday

I didn't know KIM or HAKA. WAG all the way but KIM is common Korean last name. So, FIW

Picard, glad you're back safely. Interesting video. Is that a Cessna? I would have said helicopter

I don't recall Arnold's foot coming off the ground like ICHIRO'S. Now Sheffler has his back foot sliding out but like Palmer it doesn't affect his game.

Didn't get a chance to watch The Open (yet). No surprise if the always steady Harmon prevails. Gotta watch Rahm though.

Generally easy Sunday

WC

Grumpy Granny said...

3 a.m. and just finished!! Had TWO birthday parties to attend and only started this at 10 p.m. Fell asleep twice ...BUT I FINISHED!! Enjoyed the romp but the "theme" was abit far-fetched. Well, back to sleep!!