google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday September 13, 2009 Pamela Amick Klawitter

Advertisements

Sep 13, 2009

Sunday September 13, 2009 Pamela Amick Klawitter

Theme: Rainbow Connection - Familiar phrases/names starting with (the orderly placed) colors of the rainbow.

22A: Fake footprint at the murder scene, e.g.: RED HERRING. Something intended to divert the attention from the real issue. Joe Biden used the phrase RED HERRING very often during his campaign TV appearance.

26A: Tea type: ORANGE PEKOE. Just black tea. No orange flavor.

33A: Coward, slangily: YELLOW-BELLY. Learned this phrase, lily-livered and mealy-mouthed together in one Op-Ed piece.

66A: Anne's home, in a 1908 Montgomery classic: GREEN GABLES. "Anne of GREEN GABLES", new novel to me. GREEN GABLES is a fictional farm in Prince Edward Island. Montgomery is a Canadian author.

98A: Aristocratic: BLUE-BLOODED. Wikipedia says blue blood is from Spanish phrase "sangre azul," indicating noble birth or descent. And the term derived from the fact that the native Spanish have thinner-walled (bluer) blood vessels than people of Arab origin (the Moors).

107A: "Closer to Fine" folk-rock duo: INDIGO GIRLS. They are featured prominently in "Wordplay". Crossword nuts.

115A: Ponytailed pal of Lucy Van Pelt, in "Peanuts": VIOLET GRAY. No idea. Can't really see her poneytail.

And 49D: Mnemonic for this puzzle's theme: ROY. G. BIV, placed perfectly in the heart of the grid. I like how those color phrases are structured. Very orderly and elegant. I just can never remember ROY G. BIV. So complicated. It's easier to remember the color sequence.

There are also three Biblical figures in this puzzle:

19A: Brother of Moses: AARON. He helped lead the Hebrews out of Egypt. I've never heard of him. More used to the Hank AARON clue.

80D: Twin of Jacob: ESAU. He sold his birthright to Jacob. Probably crossword constructors' favorite Biblical figure, with all those vowels.

95D: Third son of King David: ABSALOM. Hebrew for "father of peace". Ab(h)=father. Salom = peace. Completely unknown to me. I had AB????M, then I decided ABRAHAM sounds good.

Very pleasant solving. Lots of clever clues.

Across:

5A: 12th century year: MCII. Roman 1102.

9A: Tante's spouse: ONCLE. French for uncle. Tante=aunt.

20A: Santa's favorite snack cakes?: HO HOS. Ho, ho, ho, lovely clue for our Santa Argyle.

21A: Limp-watch artist: DALI. In his "The Persistence of Memory", the watches are limp.

28A: Story starter? ESS. Letter S starts the word Story, hence starter.

27A: Kiss drummer Peter: CRISS. No idea. He is the Catman. Those guys have very strange makeup.

30A: Bite hard: CHOMP

31A: Conjurer's word: PRESTO

39A: Net business: ETAIL. Like Amazon/Ebay.

40A: It may have a code: AREA. Stumped me. Nice clue.

43A: A-Team muscle man: MR. T. Would prefer another clue due to TEAM (123A: Locker room group).

46A: Fitness franchise primarily for women: CURVES. There is one closer to our home.

48A: Related to the lower back: SACRAL. The noun is sacrum. Latin for "holy bone". No wonder it sounds sacred.

52A: Adjusts, as sagging socks: HIKES UP

54A: Helmsley and others: LEONAS. "The Queen of Mean" hotelier.

56A: 1930s-40s singer/actress Durbin: DEANNA. Unknown to me. She looks pretty. Canadian. Still alive.

57A: Stuffed shirt: SNOB

59A: "As a matter of fact," informally: Y'KNOW

62A: Stare: GAPE. Thought of OGLE.

71A: Paperless tests: ORALS. And DEES (74A: Bad marks) & BEAR (58D: Nasty exam).

73A: Meal on a stick: KABOB. Shish KABOB. Lots of weird food-on-a-stick at our State Fair.

76A: Nursery rhyme loser?: BO PEEP. "Little BO BEEP has lost her sheep". Stumper for me. All nursery rhymes are.

78A: Make a home (in): RESIDE. And ADOBE (102D: Southwestern home).

81A: "Like that'll ever happen!": DREAM ON

86A: Shows up: APPEARS

88A: Correct, as text: REVISE

90A: Site of a bread line?: BAKERY. Nailed it.

91A: "L.A. Law" costar: DEY (Susan)

92A: Go round and round: ROTATE. I liked the clue.

97A: Island east of Java: TIMOR. Sigh. I can only think of BALI. West TIMOR belongs to Indonesia. East TIMOR is an independent country.

100A: Pay attention in class: LEARN. Wanted LISTEN.

106A: One of a world majority: ASIAN

117A: Wittenberg's river: ELBE. Wittenberg is a town on the ELBE River. Famous for its connection with Martin Luther and the dawn of the Protestant Reformation. Unknown to me.

118A: Knock off: CEASE

119A: Wrong move: ERROR

120A: Mythical matchmaker: AMOR. Cupid. Roman love god. YENTE is the "Musical matchmaker" in "Fiddler on the Roof".

121A: Highland rejections: NAES

122A: Specter on the Hill: ARLEN. Pennsylvania senator. Started as a Democrat, then changed to Republican, and now back to a Democrat.

124A: Slider's goal: BASE. Baseball.

Down:

2D: Aggressive Greek god: ARES. Greek god of war. TYR is the Norse equivalent.

5D: Cousin of the xylophone: MARIMBA. New instrument to me also. What kind of wood is it made of?

6D: Veggie drawers: CRISPER. I put my grapes/peaches in the CRISPER.

8D: Having one sharp, musically: IN G. Nope. Music term is definitely my blind spot.

9D: Chicago site of many connections: O'HARE. Airport. Second busiest airport in the world, after Atlanta.

11D: Seaman's song: CHANTEY (SHAN-tee). New word to me. I will just connect it with chanter, French for "sing".

12D: A million to one, say: LONG ODDS

13D: Italian noble family: ESTE

14D: Gigi's goodbye: ADIEUS. Does Gigi here refer to Leslie Caron's "Gigi" or just a common French name?

15D: Warmongers: HAWKS. Like Paul Wolfowitz. Man, this guy is incredible. Expensive suit, no?

16D: Economist Janeway: ELIOT. Got the answer from Across fills. He was the economic advisor to FDR and LBJ.

17D: Gets the lead out?: MINES. Metal lead.

19D: Hood's weapon?: ARROW. Robin Hood.

23D: Lacking auditory feedback: ECHOLESS. Did not know it's a word.

28D: Jazz trombonist Kid: ORY. Nope. Complete stranger to me. I do know the answer for "Jazz trombonist grandpa": RON. Our jazzbumpa.

29D: Chinese leader: PREMIER. Zhou Enlai is our first and most beloved PREMIER.

30D: Horror writer Barker: CLIVE. Nope. He does not look like a writer. I like this CLIVE (Owen). Daniel Craig too. I find them to be very attractive.

31D: Put: PLACE

33D: "Ugh!": YECH. JD uses this word sometimes.

34D: Case for tweezers and such: ETUI (ey-TWEE). PTUI is pronounced like TOO-ee.

35D: Symbol of happiness: LARK. Happy as a LARK.

36D: "Boston Public" actress Sharon: LEAL. No idea. Do you like her lipstick color?

38D: Like no news?: GOOD. No news is GOOD news.

41D: Decaf pioneer: SANKA. Have never had it.

42D: "If at first you don't succeed" course of action: PLAN B. This answer gives me trouble all the time, regardless of how it's clued.

44D: Keep getting Mad, say: RENEW. Mad magazine. M is capitalized.

45D: Old dynasts: TSARS

47D: Like most pop hits: SUNG. Did not come to me immediately.

51D: He succeeded Fidel: RAUL. Brothers.

53D: Politically motivated spending: PORK. Pork barrel.

62D: Turn: GO BAD

63D: Soap-on-__: A ROPE. What is this? The Urban Dictionary definitions sound awful.

64D: Popeye's dad Poodeck __: PAPPY. No idea. PAPPY is just a Southern slang for dad, correct?

65D: Civil War's Robt. __: E LEE

67D: Big name in criticism: EBERT. Film critic Roger EBERT.

69D: Long time follower?: NO SEE . Long time NO SEE.

69D: Certain Slav: SERB

72D: Chef's high-temperature technique: SEARING. Hmm, I want some seared tuna.

75D: Vacation area: SEA COAST. "Vacation spot" is better as AREA is an answer to 40A.

77D: Annual dance: PROM

79D: Lollapalooza: DILLY. Lollapalooza is a fun word.

82D: Goodyear's home: AKRON. Once “the rubber capital of the world”.

83D: Hoover Dam's lake: MEAD

85D: "Blue" TV squad: NYPD. "NYPD Blue".

87D: More boring: STODGIER

89D: __ Fagan, Billie Holiday's birth name: ELEANORA. No idea. Thought Billie Holiday is her real name.

93D: New kid on the block, e.g.: ARRIVAL. Interesting intersection with RIVAL (114A: Honda, to Toyota).

97D: Toys "R" Us purchases: TRIKES

98D: Real est. ad. count: BRS

99D: Hybrid big cat: LIGER. Lion & tiger. Offspring of a male lion and a female tiger. Tiglon = Tiger & lion, the offspring of a male tiger and a female lion.

101D: First name in B-29 lore: ENOLA. ENOLA Gay.

104D: Rub off: ERASE

108D: Willy of "Free Willy": ORCA

111D: "Get Smart" evil agency: KAOS. Obtained the answer from Across fills.

112D: Thomfield Hall governess: EYRE. Jane EYRE.

115D: Check for accuracy: VET. Such rigorous vetting process for those White House nominees.

116D: Gift of the garrulous: GAB. Kiss the Blarney Stone, you'll get the gift of GAB.

Answer grid.

C.C.

38 comments:

eddyB said...

Good morning all,

German for aunt is also Tante.
German for uncle is onkel. I had many German aunts and uncles. Two aunts remain.

The color code fo EIA resistors is:
BBROYGBVGW. This one is real easy to remember. I aqpologize to all
woman named Violet and ask for their forgiveness.

eddyB

Argyle said...

My Sunday Best to Y'all.

Side view of Violet Gray, showing her ponytail(bobbed).

Anonymous said...

A long, long time ago, the plural of adieu was adieus. It has since change to adieux.

Barry G. said...

Morning, folks!

Nice puzzle, relatively straightforward. I'm familiar with the ROYGBIV mnemonic, and once I got that it helped me quickly get the rest of the theme answers.

One place it didn't help, though, was with VIOLET GRAY. I grew up reading Peanuts and never knew that VIOLET even had a last name, let alone that it was GRAY. Live and learn, I guess...

kazie said...

I only used the red letter alphabet soup once today--for the I in DILLY. otherwise it all fell in with perassists.

I also started thinking Tante was German, and ADIEUS always looks odd to me as well, but in CWs it's always that way.

I've been to Wittenberg--you can visit the church where Luther nailed his 95 theses up on the door. the original door is gone--burned at some stage, and it's been replaced with a bronze one onto which the theses (or something about them--I forget)have been imprinted in relief.

Gigi would be a nickname for something else such as Georgette. Remember my "lesson" about Mimi, Miki, Kiki, etc? The French love shortening names for girls that way.

kazie said...

Thought I was being cute using Dennis' word perPassists. Too bad I didn't re-read that part!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Anonymous said...

Good morning. This puzzle fell into place so quickly this morning. Very good theme. I got all the theme answers except VIOLET GRAY very easily. Once I filled in the ROYGBIV, that one came too. Like Barry, I didn't know she had a last name, but the perps helped out with that one. I loved seeing the INDIGO GIRLS in this one.

CC, I wouldn't suggest trying SANKA. It certainly isn't your best quality.

I did not realize the urban or prison connection to soap-on-a rope. It was a popular Father's Day gift when they introduced it in the 70's I believe. It is a product that can be used for the elderly or those who have trouble bending, so it has legitimate uses beyond that definition.

Meal on a stick reminds me of everything at the Minnesota State Fair. They can put anything on a stick there.

Have a great day. We are having August in September here with our warm weather.

Dennis said...

Good morning, C.C. and gang - had a fun time with this one; several challenges where the perps saved me, and lots of unknown names. At least seeing the theme title and getting the first theme answer made the rest of the theme answers very easy. Roy G. Biv was firmly embedded in my mind from previous puzzles.

Like BarryG, I had no idea Violet had a last name. And I thought 'Keep getting Mad' was a very clever clue.

Fun puzzle.

Today is Defy Superstition Day, Grandparent's Day, National Peanut Day, and my personal favorite, Positive Thinking Day.

Today's Words of Wisdom, very timely: "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

A couple more interesting quotes:

- "I drink to make other people more interesting." -- George Jean Nathan

- "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." -- A. A. Milne

Moon said...

Good Morning!
Whew! I finally did it. So many names that I didnt know.
The theme was great...got all the colors (looked up ORANGE PEKOE in Wikipedia)... but didnt know most of the second words like BELLY, GABLES, GIRLS or GRAY.
I never used or knew ROY G BIV..always remembered the colors as VIBGYOR.

Loved the RENEW clue. Had Kabobs last night but it didnt come easily to me.

Off to yoga and then all set for the Indianapolis Colts game against the Jacksonville Jaguars...I'm so EXCITED.

Have a great Sunday, everyone

Barb B said...

I have to like a puzzle when my name is 1A. ☺

I didn’t know ONCLE. TIMOR, VIOLET GRAY, or LIGER.

ROY G BIV --- Cute, but I never heard it before. Didn’t make a lot of sense, with no previous knowledge.

Very challenging, and the theme was helpful, for the most part. Even though I didn’t know the mnemonic, it was obviously about colors. I liked BO PEEP in LA LA land, and Y’KNOW, I smiled and thought of Tarajo with fishing mishaps, SNAGS.

Thanks CC for the great links today. I particularly like the holey socks, and Clive Owens.

Favorite clue was ‘big name in criticism; EBERT.

NOT a Sea CHANTEY

I’ve only heard Pappy used in jokes, never actually used as a name. Like Roger Miller’s song, “My Pappy was a pistol, I’m a son of a gun. Dang Me.”

I think we've had DEANNA DURBIN in other puzzles. I had a lot of fun looking at clips of her music.
She had the most amazing singing voice.
She was a bigger box office attraction than Shirley Temple. By the time she was 14, she was the most highly paid female star in the world. She appeared with Judy Garland in 1936 in the movie Every Sunday

She shared the Academy Award's 1939 Juvenile Award with Mickey Rooney. She did not enjoy publicity, and at the age of 27, she simply walked away. She is 87 now, and lives in France.

Clear Ayes said...

Good Morning All, I don't think about construction very often, but the correct sequence of rainbow colors as the puzzle progressed really impressed me. Coming up with 10 and 11 letter color-coded fills can't have been easy. ROY G BIV was an enjoyable cherry on the top of the sundae.

It is interesting that the bars on a MARIMBA are arranged like a piano. If you can play piano, you can play marimba. Wikipedia says the bars are usually made of rosewood. It is related to the vibraphone, aka vibraharp, which has aluminum bars. Lionel Hampton was the best know vibraphone musician. Here is his rendition of Flying Home. And yes, that is Patty Page who does the introduction.

In Colette's book, Gigi is a family nickname for Gilberte.

GAH and I used to depend on Siskel and EBERT's At The Movies for dependable thoughtful movie reviews. I still look at EBERT's online column to get movie recommendations. Now that summer is almost over, we may get some interesting adult movies in the next couple of months.

I'm a big believer in positive thinking. Positive Thinking Day should be a good one for some of our bloggers who are going through some rough times. Think only of good outcomes today. It can't hurt.

Warren said...

Hi C.C. & gang, I believe that this was the first Sunday LAT puzzle that we finished without needing to cheat. All of the unknown's were solved by the perps.

C.C. I found this tutorial on roygbiv for you.

Jazzbumpa said...

Hi, Gang -

Yep, you can never have enough trombonists. Kid Ory shows up in puzzles once in a while. That "Y" on a short word comes in handy sometimes. Nice that he connects to theme fills.

here
is a better Hungarian trombonist than I playing ORY'S Creole Trombone. I absolutely love this music! Subtle connection to slider's goal - which is to play in tune!

Glad to hear our TJ is OK. It occurred to me that a YECH guy who is probably $125,000 in arrears on support payments really ought to keep a loooooowww profile.

When my daughter Karen was in college her step brothers called her Kiki. Every once in a while a "Keek" will still be heard.

I always want to spell SHANTEY with an ESS.

Off to watch some football.

Cheers!
JzB

Argyle said...

She's like a rainbow

JimmyB said...

Boy, that's two Sundays in a row I've been able to complete the puzzle in less than an hour (today 45 minutes!) When is this honeymoon going to be over?

Learned some more French today with ONCLE and TANTE. Wasn't separating ING and NOSEE so I couldn't figure out what those were all about. I had GAZE instead of GAPE so Poopdeck ZAPPY just didn't sound right. Duh! At least I got the "xylophone cousin" easily since I used to enjoy the Baja MARIMBA Band.

Bill G. said...

JzB said: I always want to spell SHANTEY with an ESS.

Me too. It's pronounced like 'shanty'. My desktop dictionary says it probably comes from the French word, chantez (sing).

Anonymous said...

The band Rainbow singing Stone Cold

Stone Cold

Anonymous said...

Hi C.C
Thank you for your wishes. I will pass them on to my sister.

Kazie:
I hope your student's brother has good luck as well. My son was in his 30's when he took ill.
So many new things today.

Thanks Dennis and Chickie ,
Will do!

Positive thinking is the only way to go no matter haw bad things are.

Mom who is 94 had her breast removed almost a year ago. She is the most positive person I know and we get as lot of strength from her.

Back to the c/w and Tiger .
Have a great Sunday everyone!!
Best to all,
Geri

Luxor said...

The answer to 59A should be 'ya know'. It was shortened to fit the puzzle. Not good!

embien said...

16:52 today. A wonderful Sunday puzzle with a very colorful theme. I loved it and it was worth slogging through all those partials because, and only because, of the theme.

@c.c., I've said this before, but be very cautious about relying too much on the Urban Dictionary. It puts nearly everything into a drug or sexual context and that's not necessarily the case. soap on a rope is very handy for those of us who prefer showers to baths. My current shower has a soap dish, but I've lived in many places in the past where a soap on a rope was very useful.

Luxor said...

C.C.,
The 'A-Team' was a t-v show in which each team member had a different job to do. Mr T did the heavy lifting, ripping. carrying, etc.. He was literally the muscleman of the group. Therefore the clue for 43A was appropo.

lux

WM said...

Good afternoon. Another great puzzle, started it last night and finished it up this morning. No actual hang-ups and amazingly I didn't get stuck on any of the names because a few I was iffy with I had enough from the perps to make an accurate guess.

Favorite clue...Santa's favorite snack cakes. I never do well with mnemonics as I usually need a mnemonic to remember the previous one. I really liked the rainbow order of the colors and the mnemonic(even though I never remember it) down the middle. A very elegant and enjoyable Sunday puzzle.

Dennis...I always enjoy any Oscar Wilde quotes...a quite brillant, if ill-fated, fellow.

Have to make some more zucchini bread today as the the 2 plants we have are apparently still quite busy...the garden just keeps cranking along...cool, overcast and lovely so the studio is definitly an option today.

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon everyone.

The Naples News has a new format and lots of problems. Today the answers for the LA Times were not for the clues printed. Thank heavens for this site!

Warren, thank you for the tutorial on ROY G.BiV. (I guess the lower case i is for indigo.)

Cheers

Bill G. said...

I go to the LA Times website online to find these puzzles. On Sunday, they have this daily puzzle and something called the "Sunday Calendar Crossword Puzzle" by Bursztyn or Reagle. Do they have both in the print newspaper too? If so, in what section of the paper is this one found?

~ Bill

Crockett1947 said...

@billg Our Sunday puzzle is only available on-line. It is not printed in any newspaper.

treefrog said...

Great puzzle. The colors were easy. I've never known the mnemonic, cause I memorized the colors at an early age.
KQ-I remember my brother getting soap on a rope as a little kid in the 50's! When our youngest was going in the Navy in '97 his older brother gave him some for his birthday:}

This same eldest child went through a spell in his teens when he called us Mammy and Pappy. Don't have a clue why. Could have been calling us something else. I think his nickname when he was 15 was a--hole. OOPS!

Supposed to cool off here. But still very humid. Some dry lightning last night, started at least one fire. Could be a long week.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

gmony said...

9D: Chinese leader: PREMIER. Zhou Enlai is our first and most beloved PREMIER. ARE you American now or a Communist who supports non human rights!!!

windhover said...

Attention Bloggers,
idiot alert immediately preceding this post.

WM said...

WH...got that :o)

Dennis said...

gmony, I was gonna remove your post as an unnecessary attack on another member, but I think it's important that everyone sees what a true moron looks like.

C.C. still uses 'our' because she spent 80% of her life there; she is Chinese. However, she's made her current position very clear.

WM said...

Dennis...thank you

gmony said...

Delete it then. I'm very sorry it won't happen again. I was in the Army and had some mentors who were in China getting remains back from the cold war. They were not treated right. But let me tell you I look forward to the the comments to the answers everyday! Very well done! Im not a Moron I am just disabled from all the combat tours. God Bless and I am truly sorry! Keep up the good work!

Dennis said...

Gmony, good of you to apologize; I'm sure C.C. will appreciate it. And I understand to a degree what you're feeling - if C.C. was Vietnamese, I honestly don't know if I would've ever joined the blog. Totally wrong to feel that way, but there it is.

Anyway, thanks for apologizing, and I apologize as well for the moron remark, but it was based on your statement.

gmony said...

Wilco that. One question though. Is this person a genius because a person that can answer the Saturday and Sunday crosswords that fast and accurate must be!!!!!!

windhover said...

Since it's apologies all around, here's mine as well. I was responding to the apparent xenophobia, the idea that all evil resides somewhere else. I'm sure each of your experiences resonate deeply, but we all need to realize that the citizens of every country believe they fight for the right side. Evil tracks power like a winter shadow, and no country has an exclusive franchise on it.
In any case, the apologies are owed to CC. Can we move on now?

Argyle said...

Wow! I must be a super genius; I'm finishing Monday's puzzle and its still Sunday!

Clear Ayes said...

WH!10:17, You may be busy with haying right now and haven't stopped by very often of late, but when you do, you have something important to say. Keep AT IT!

Crockett1947 said...

@gmony Since I came back after the fireworks, I'll offer you a warm welcome to the blog. Realize that we are a diverse group with diverse opinions and wildly diverse backgrounds and experiences. Maybe looking at a post a couple of times before hitting that "Publish Your Comment" button would be a good idea. That holds true for some of the old timers around here as well.

The puzzle is available on-line in a couple of places, and the solutions are there as well. Sometimes one will make it through the puzzle without needing the verification from the online site, and sometimes a bit of help is needed. It's very important for C.C. to have everything correct because there are many people who come here to look for direction to find the solutions, or maybe just to get the solutions once frustration overcomes them.

So, someone blow a B flat and we'll sing a song.....