google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, November 9, 2016, C.C. Burnikel

Advertisements

Nov 9, 2016

Wednesday, November 9, 2016, C.C. Burnikel

Title: Kevin Garnett - Our lovely leader has chosen a fun initial gimmick with two word theme answers wherein the first word starts with a K and the second with a G. Her reveal shows this K_ G_ idea phonetically as CAGEY. C.C. said she was inspired this greatest Minnesota Timberwolf of all time whom she admired.


REVEAL:

38. Shrewd ... and a phonetic hint to this puzzle's four longest answers : CAGEY 

As you can see, her fun theme answers that are placed symmetrically - Two 10'S Across touching the left and right borders and Two Down 9's touching the top and bottom borders! Great!


16. Shade lighter than jade : KELLY GREEN - One of the team colors of the aforementioned KG


59. London co-creator of the International Plant Names Index : KEW GARDENS - Captain Bligh was gathering bread fruit in Tahiti for KEW GARDENS when the men on the HMS Bounty took issue with his command


10. Super-strong adhesive brand : KRAZY GLUE - Ah yes, I remember their ads


33. Extreme care : KID GLOVES - People always think debate moderators treat their candidate's opponent with KID GLOVES


Well let's KEEP GOING and see what other gifts C.C. has for us today.


Across


1. Welcomed at the door : SAW IN

6. "Shame on you!" : TSK

9. German trick-taking card game : SKAT - Have never played a hand


13. St. Teresa's town : AVILA - One of many Carmelite 39. Creatures of habit? : NUNS - in 16th century Spain

14. Use as a source : CITE

15. Egg on : URGE 18. Reckless act instigator : DARE - These two words can cause some very stupid behavior

19. Witty Bombeck : ERMA

20. Euros replaced them : LIRE

21. Buffoons : BOZOS

22. Target Field, e.g. : STADIUM - An easy drive from C.C.'s home


24. Nowhere near cool : DORKY

26. N.L. mascot whose head is a large baseball : MR. MET

28. Cracks up : LAUGHS

31. Finnish telecommunications company : NOKIA

34. Lindsay of "Freaky Friday" (2003) : LOHAN - A Disney star who, uh, "went south"

36. Bud's partner : LOU - Bud asked, "Who's on first?" LOU replied, "Yes!"

37. Exclude from the list : OMIT

40. Like Mars, visually : RED

41. Storybook elephant : BABAR - Did anyone else think of Red Barber with these two clues?

42. Sneaks a look : PEEKS

43. Points of view : ANGLES

45. Sleeping giant : SERTA - Love this clue

47. Actors memorize them : LINES - He's in a world of hurt!


49. Riddle-ending question : WHAT AM I - Stunning playground retort!



53. Chew out : SCOLD

55. "Now it makes sense" : I SEE

57. One-named supermodel : IMAN - Lovely, Somali-born woman who is now 61

58. __ Scotia : NOVA - New Scotland in Latin

61. Meryl's "It's Complicated" co-star : ALEC - Rotten Tomatoes gave it a "meh" 54%


62. Chevy subcompact : AVEO

63. Pasta tubes : PENNE

64. Skip a turn : PASS

65. Headed up : LED

66. Infuriated with : MAD AT


Down

1. Sushi bar brews : SAKES

2. Prevent : AVERT

3. Bedrock wife : WILMA

4. Words starting a confession : I'LL ADMIT - Johnny Cash sang, "I'LL ADMIT that I'm a fool for you"

5. Lawmaker's rejection : NAY - That's how they do it


6. 22-Across level : TIER

7. Energetic mount : STEED - Dudley's "trusty STEED" was named, uh, Horse


8. He's a doll : KEN - Barbie's main squeeze

9. Numbers game : SUDOKU

11. Soil-related prefix : AGRO - BOZOS took AGRI off my grid

12. Pro shop bagful : TEES

14. Forensics facility : CRIME LAB

17. Feeling blue : GLUM - Al Capp's poster child for this emotion - Joe Bltsplk 


21. Cereal component : BRAN

23. Nest egg letters : IRA

25. Big name in facial scrubs : OLAY

27. Forum robes : TOGAS

29. Traffic alert : HONK

30. Puzzle (out) : SUSS - A frequent strategy employed many of us solvers here 

31. Screenwriter Ephron : NORA

32. It may be a bad sign : OMEN

35. "Fasten your seatbelts" : HERE WE GO


38. Violin protector : CASE

39. "Swell suggestion!" : NEAT IDEA


41. Calisthenics movement : BEND - How many reps would you go for?



42. After-school org. : PTA

44. Shrubs with lavender blooms : LILACS

46. Perlman of "Cheers" : RHEA - Ree' uh not Ray or Ray uh


48. Colander cousin : SIEVE

50. Change, as a motion : AMEND

51. Old Testament food : MANNA

52. Illustrator's close-up : INSET

53. Easy-peasy task : SNAP - A sentiment expressed by a Shakespearean actor and director who also played Isaac the Bartender on Love Boat


54. Picnic soft drink : COLA

56. Neighbor of Nor. : SWED

59. __ Kan pet foods : KAL

60. Tach reading : RPM

Now it's your time for our CAGEY bloggers to give us their pertinent and impertinent remarks!



34 comments:

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks, CC and Gary! Loved it CC! No problems!
Have a great day!

OwenKL said...

In shock enough that I'm not in a very poetic mood this morning.
{B-, 1.}

When DORKY BOZOS DARE URGE SKAT,
BABAR is CAGEY, and LOHAN will LAUGH!
HERE WE GO,
I'M AN AVEO!
Shall I SEE WHAT AM I MAD AT?

I'LL ADMIT I'm less than pi,
And often I'm confused with I!
In ANGLES I'm skinny,
I'm small on a penny,
Can you guess yet WHAT AM I?

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

At least the puzzle wasn't a problem. Theme? No, but didn't need it. Thanks, C.C. and Husker.

My father was a SKAT player. The three guys got together weekly for a 3-hour session. The big loser could be down as much as 15 cents at the end of the night.

Didn't know that St. Teresa was a Carmelite. There's a Carmelite monastery just up the road from us. I thought monks lived in monasteries, but this one is home to a handful of nuns.

thehondohurricane said...

Finished it, albeit wrong. SKAT to me was scat and KRAZY was crazy. And BOZOS ended up as buzis thanks to suduku & agri. Kept wondering what the heck a buzi was. Otherwise, a slow go, but in the correct column.

In order to get a ring, Mr Garnett had to agree to a trade to the Celtics. While there, he kept the team on a straight and narrow. He ran the locker room according to sports writers who covered the team.

I still think of a TIER as a section filled with rows of seats. It was formed eons ago when baseball radio announcers (before TV) would refer to the upper tiers in their broadcast. At least I always found my seat because my ticket stub said Row.. in Section....
TIERs was never mentioned.

Hope I make it thru the next four years....it should be interesting.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Really fun puzzle today. Two bad squares - iRMA for ERMA (I blame a late night of watching election returns and decaf coffee). I got the theme after I finished the puzzle, but it still wasn't enough for me to fix the errant "c" in cRAZY GLUE and ScAT. One erasure - I had HERE goes for HERE WE GO.

I didn't know AVILA or KEW GARDENS. I remember being read Babar stories when I was a tot. That wa a looong time ago. I'm pretty sure WILMA Flintstone was our neighbor.

Nokia took over Alcatel, which took over Lucent, which was created by the breakup of the Bell System. (The Idea Factory is a fabulous book that documents the incredible contributions of Bell Labs, as well as the people who fueled those game-changing inventions.)

My favorite clue today was "creatures of habit" for NUNS. I can't name a least favorite - I liked it all.

Thanks CC for your typical fine construct. And to Husker Gary for a fun expo.

MJ said...

Good day to all!

Coming to the reveal in the mid-section corrected my one bad cell at ScAT/cRAZY GLUE in the north. Favorite clue/answer was "Creatures of habit?" for NUNS. Thanks, C.C., for a very enjoyable puzzle, and thanks Husker G. for the expo and links.

Enjoy the day!

Big Easy said...

Puzzle was a breeze. Caught the theme after KELLY GREEN and KRAZY GLUE. I remember when it was expensive; you can buy 3-packs of super glue for 99 cents. Only unknown was the "It's complicated' movie but ALEC was and easy perp.

BOZOS- ones coming and going in D.C.
NOKIA is rapidly following Blackberry into becoming irrelevant in the digital world. Do you know anybody who still uses either one of their phones?

TTP said...

Good morning all


Not my fastest Wednesday solve.

Horn before HONK but PEEKS and NUNS corrected. That was an easy change to see.

It wasn't going all that well in the NE. Had superGLUE and couldn't find supporting fill. Moved on and solved the rest of the puzzle. The theme hint and theme answers led me to KRAZY. Then the perps easily fell into place. To summarize, I'll recap with 55D: I SEE. Now it makes sense.

Really liked the additional long fill in this puzzle. WHAT AM I, I'll ADMIT, NEAT IDEA and HERE WE GO. Also liked that Sleeping giant clue, among others.

Thank you CC !

Another great write up Husker Gary. And I agree with your comments at 15A. I'll chime in that the level of very stupid behavior often increases exponentially when excessive alcohol consumption is thrown into that mix.

oc4beach said...


Didn't get the theme until HG's great expo, but didn't need it to solve CC's enjoyable challenge. Only a few slips along the way.

I had HORN before HONK, DODOS before BOZOS and SODA before COLA. Where I grew up we had a bottle of POP. A soda had ice cream in it.

Even though they didn't fit, I wanted ZITI or RIGATONI before PENNE popped up. Other than that it was a nice solve today.

I voted yesterday, so I can complain about the government until the next election. But I won't do it here.

As I said yesterday: It's never as bad as we fear nor as good as we want. We will survive.

Lemonade714 said...

This is in my all time top 5 favorite C.C. puzzles, with KEVIN GARNETT the meta. THe theme all fit together so well, and th inherent double pun of CAGEY = KG a basketball player made it awesome.

I also love my childhood memories of my mother reading Babar stories to me.

I never played SKAT bit did play SCAT, but luckily remembered it was Krazy Glue. Did any of you ever play KNUCKLES ?

Fermat...will you please tell us the title or central character in the books you are reading?

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

I was not aware it was a C.C. puzzle until coming here. But while solving, I realized I liked the long downs and the general rhythm of the puzzle. Only white-out was I had hold ..... before HERE WE GO. No searches were needed.
Favorite clue was for SERTA.
KEW GARDENS - Is also a working class neighborhood in Queens, NYC.

Have a great day.

Lucina said...

Well, though the theme was completely lost on me, this was a lovely puzzle to fill and didn't take too long. Like some of you, AGRI had to change to AGRO but that's the only one.

It's Complicated is the only Meryl Streep movie I didn't care for; the acting was of course, great, but not the story line.

GLUM expresses exactly how I feel today and that's a huge come down from how I felt yesterday.

Thanks, Gary, for you excellent expo. Not in 100 years would I have made the baseball connection.

It's a gorgeous day here. I hope you have one, too.

NUNS was nicely clued.

Chairman Moe said...

"Puzzling Thoughts":

An interesting "trivia" answer is sort of revealed when I saw the solve WILMA in 3D, Bedrock wife. The trivia question is: which TV couple was the first to be shown sleeping in a full size bed? Yes, it's Wilma and Fred Flintstone. Not Rob and Laura; not Desi and Lucy. A cartoon couple.

I enjoyed the puzzle and the theme. Kudos to CC - and of course, she got the Twins/Baseball and golf into the grid.

Last week the Cubs; this week Trump. The word "unbelievable" is officially "retired"! 😜

Magilla Go-Rilla said...

36A: You have it backwards. It's Lou who asks "Who's on first?" and it's Bud who replies "Yes.".

Hungry Mother said...

Thanks to the theme, I fixed "Crazy Glue" to KRAZYGLUE. Nice diversion for today. Thanks to all.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

To paraphrase Will Rogers, "I never met a CC puzzle that I didn't like!" And I liked this one a whole lot. I saw the KG theme early but the reveal "Cagey" really brought a smile. As always, CC's cleverness shines through. Hand up for agri/agro. Liked the clues for nuns and Serta.

Thanks, CC, for a mid-week treat and thanks, HG, for the witty write-up.

Have a great day.

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Hand up for Crazy before Krazy. Otherwise smooth sailing through this C.C. creation. Thanks Husker!

Lucina 10:14 - how fortunate that you have a gorgeous day in your corner of the country. Here, it is cold, wet, gray, dreary, and depressing, which exactly matches the mood of the place.

Nice Cuppa said...

Owen

Are you e ?

Misty said...

C.C.'s wonderful puzzle was my salvation this morning, when I woke up and looked at the newspaper headline and . . . . well, you can imagine. But the puzzle was a delight, and I got the morning's SUDOKU, and the Kenken. So life goes on, thank goodness-something I feared it might not for a while this morning.

Loved "Creatures of habit," not least because I loved the NUNS who taught me in grade school and high school. SKAT is a German card game? I had no idea. I wanted to put PAL for "Bud's partner" but it clearly didn't fit--oh, I see, BUD Abbott and LOU Costello!

I got the K G theme, all right, but didn't understand how it related to CAGEY until Husker's write-up. Doh! Many thanks for letting me see the light.

Whew, I feel better now that I've visited the blog. Life will go on.

Have a good day, everybody!

Anonymous said...

That's too bad Dudley. Over in my neck of the woods it's a beautiful day. Things are bright. Birds are singing. There's a hop in everyone's step. Hell even my 401k is looking up. It's a great day for democracy.

Ol' Man Keith said...

The sunshine is very bright here in SoCal today, unseasonably so and quite at odds with the mood in our home. But I thank our good friends C.C. and HuskerG for the welcome diversion.

C6D6 Peg said...

Thanks, C.C., for another wonderful puzzle. Loved "Sleeping Giant" and "Creatures of Habit". Very clever!

Thanks, Gary, for a fine write-up. It's nice that C.C. shared her inspiration with all of us!

Jayce said...

Awesome puzzle. There's something about a puzzle by C.C. that is distinct and somehow recognizable. The same is true of a write-up by Husker Gary. Many thanks and much appreciation to both of you.

LW and I stayed up last night for the whole thing. I really appreciate how the news teams kept going until so late into the night, or so early in the morning. We happened to watch CBS: Scott Pelley, Norah O'Donnell, Gayle King, Charlie Rose, Bob Shieffer, John Dickerson, and their team. And there they were again this morning, bright and cheerful, doing a fabulous job.

Nah, we're not news junkies.

Best wishes to you all.

AnonymousPVX said...

I thought this was a bit crunchy, not a complaint. After a slow start in the NW, I skipped around and then finished back in the NW.

Neither Rob and Laura nor Desi and Lucy EVER were seen in a double bed, at least to my recall.

Lemonade714 said...

Another day in paradise here in South Florida. Had two real estate closings with first time home buyers all excited to have a home that is truly their own - great feeling.Loking forward to January when the real NBA season starts.

Bill G. said...

Near the end of this clip is a really good animal video from the Ellen show today.

Animals getting along




Anonymous T said...

Hi all!

Fun puzzle to PASS the morning. NEAT IDEA w/ the CAGEY theme. I got the K's but it took a minute for me to SUSS the G's. Thanks C.C. - 'cept Sats, I always seem to be on your wave-length so it was a SNAP. Thanks HG for a fun writeup.

WOs: 21a - w/ _R_N, I started to put Corn in b/f realizing it would become Cron.
ESPs: AVILA & SKAT

Fav: Gotta be KID GLOVES. I hummed RUSH all day :-)
c/a for NUNS was cute too. Who didn't think of Lucina there?

Ok, HERE WE GO... For those disappointed today, don't be GLUM, LAUGH it off!
Tweet I saw today: Is it a DARE?
Britain: Brexit is the stupidest, most self-destructive act a country could undertake
USA: Hold my beer.

{B, B+1}

Oc4 - truer words couldn't be spoken. Left or right, one's anticipations will disappoint/please. E.g. I saw the Dow futures down 800 @2am-ish. However, like 1:01anon posted, my IRA's up today.

Cheers, -T

JD said...

Much appreciated having the puzzle this morning, and a special one at that. Thanks CC, and to you Gary for always lifting my spirits.

OwenKL said...

"Nice Cuppa said...
Owen
Are you e ?"
Huh? Well, yes, I guess I do RUE certain recent events. Or did you typo?

Lucina said...

AnonT:
Thank you for thinking of me.

Anonymous T said...

Lucina - I'm always thinking of fellow Cornerites as I fill... Now, about those Tamales :-)

Did I miss it? Really, no one posted Who's on first? I mean Hu?. C, -T

Argyle said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5QdUbtjXo

Wilbur Charles said...

Well, I didn't make it. Pretty much sailed through the xword. Jayce's sentiments exactly. Plus, thanks KG for all those great Celtics seasons. And, thanks Minn. for letting us have him.

The problem that predictably resulted last night is that the sluggish growth was carefully orchestrated by the Powers that Be. I like to think of it like that old character"The Master Cylinder" from cartoons of yore.

Because, anything more rapid leaves a bigger mess to clean up later.

Was that political?

Hondo. Does AVILA remind you of a certain ballplayer who was instrumental in another great Cleveland season?

I can get the puzzles done fast enough but not the blogs. And that's a good thing,eh?

Oh. Jinx. I think we agree. REFERRING to The (British) Open as The Open by the PGA is the change since Els won it.

WC in Unreadsville. I TALK to myself as well😂

Abejo said...

Good Thursday evening, folks. Thank you, C.C., for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Husker Gary, for a fine review.

Finished this puzzle this morning. No time yesterday.

Had to fix SAKIS to SAKES and IRMA to ERMA.

NOKIA in this puzzle. I worked for Automatic Electric, who became AG Communication Systems after ATT bought us from GTE. Then we were made part of Lucent, which was bought by Alcatel, and then that was bought by NOKIA. I recently received a benefits sign-up letter from NOKIA. Had to read it a couple times before I realized what happened.

Clever theme, KG. Worked.

Getti g tired. See you Friday (tomorrow).

Abejo

( )