google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, October 7, 2018 Jeffrey Wechsler

Advertisements

Oct 7, 2018

Sunday, October 7, 2018 Jeffrey Wechsler

Theme: "The Irreverent Grammarian"- Seven English grammar-related terms are punnily re-phrased.

22. Confident opinion piece?: DEFINITE ARTICLE. I skip "the" often. Chinese has no definite article.

34. Ammonia and water?: COMPOUND WORDS. Both are compounds.

49. Overlap in a photo lab?: DOUBLE NEGATIVE.

67. Adam?: FIRST PERSON.

81. Truce that's barely holding?: TENSE AGREEMENT.

96. Consecutive jail terms?: RUN-ON SENTENCE.

112. Will sections covering family members?: RELATIVE CLAUSES.

I like the title. Irreverent. That's our Jeffrey. Irreverent with humor, wits and fun.

Just look at the basic grid design. Normally you'll find the grid edges broken into four parts, like our last Sunday puzzle. Jeffrey chose the irreverent way. He broke the edges into three, which increases the word length and of course, filling difficulty. We don't see triple-stacked 7's often.

Across:

1. Repetitive geometric patterns: FRACTALS. Sparkly start.

9. Collinsworth with many Sports Emmys: CRIS. Football analyst.


13. Showed openly: BARED.

18. Ricky Martin's birthplace: PUERTO RICO.

20. Use a hammock: REST. Here is our CrossEyedDave relaxing in his hammock.
21. Other side: ENEMY.

24. Approach evening: LATEN. Not a word I use.

25. Eligibility factors: AGES.  Read this China Daily article. The retirement age in China is 50 for women. 60 for men. Mandatory. But Chinese president is 65 already.

26. Most in need of water: DRIEST.

27. Where Brazil took Olympic soccer gold: RIO.

29. Concert finale?: INA. Concertina.

30. Pitcher's problem: SORE ARM. Different "pitch" in 89. Adjust for pitch: TUNE.

37. Get more precipitous: STEEPEN.

39. Regret: RUE.

40. Track event: MEET.

41. Draw back: EBB.

44. Aveeno competitor: OLAY. Never a fan of Aveeno. Been into CeraVe the past few months.

45. Mark of shame: STIGMA.

48. Hot tub feature: EDDY.

53. Writer Deighton: LEN.

55. Remark that hurts: INSULT.

56. Track winnings: PURSE.

57. Ambulance gp.: EMS.

58. Org. with no "L" in its name, ironically: CTA.Chicago Transit Authority.

61. Brings down: FELLS.

62. Disney film starring Auli'i Cravalho: MOANA. Polynesian girl.


64. Cell pic: SNAPSHOT.

66. Author Dinesen: ISAK.

70. E-commerce icon: CART.

71. Officially rebukes: CENSURES.

73. Pride group: LIONS.

74. Focus of much TV drama: CRIME.

75. Saint-Tropez summer: ETE.

76. Title like Bugs Bunny's "Hare Trigger": PUN.

77. Harbor sights: PIERS.

79. Macbeth and Macduff: THANES.

80. Handheld amp?: MIC.

84. Olympic contact sport: JUDO. The do in Judo is the same as Chinese "tao". Way.

87. Ad rep's links: TIE-INS.

90. Souse's woe: DTS.

91. Single section: UNIT. And 92. Single: ONE.

93. White Castle offerings: SLIDERS.

101. "I can't eat all this!": IT'S A LOT. Boomer has lost quite a bit of weight. He used to love food.

105. British verb suffix: ISE.

106. Always, poetically: EER.

107. Biblical voyage terminus: ARARAT.

109. Bierce's definition of it starts, "A temporary insanity curable by marriage": LOVE.

110. Buddhist spiritual text: SUTRA.

117. Spud: TATER.

118. Sturdy trees: OAKS.

119. Not giving up: PERSISTENT.

120. Iditarod array: SLEDS.

121. Scheme: RUSE.

122. Bar for adults and children: SNICKERS. Great clue/answer. I first saw Snickers at my then boss's home. Tons of Snickers and cigarettes.

Down:

1. Felipe's fire: FUEGO.

2. Point (to): REFER.

3. Comes up: ARISES.

4. Many an Amazon dely.: CTN.

5. Nome : yours :: Nice : à __: TOI.

6. Collages and such: ART.

7. Wasn't true: LIED.

8. Not often seen: SCARCE.

9. Autumn adjective: CRISP. Sweater and leather jacket weather here in Minnesota.

10. Page one, generally: RECTO.

11. Part of 77-Down: Abbr.: ISL. 77. Smallest Canadian prov.: PEI.

12. Chest protector: STERNUM.

13. Not on deck: BELOW.

14. Carrier with HQ in Tokyo: ANA. All Nippon Airways.

15. No longer playing: RETIRED.

16. Corrected: EMENDED.

17. Zhou or Qin: DYNASTY. This makes me so happy. Most of you know Zhouqin is my Mandarin name. I was born in Xi'an, capital city of four Chinese dynasties: Zhou, Qin, Han and Tang. Xie xie, Jeffrey!

18. Palm gadgets, briefly: PDAS.

19. Neighbor of Taurus: ORION.

23. Pro __: TEM.

28. Mr. Right, presumably: IDEAL MAN. 102. 28-Down's opposite: LOSER.

31. Much of Micronesia's makeup: ATOLLS.

32. Get a new tenant for: RE-LET.

33. Indicate: MEAN.

35. Strong desire: URGE.

36. Sign that may make you nervous: OMEN.

38. Joe-__ weed: herbal remedy: PYE. This is new to me. Looks so pretty.


41. Building: EDIFICE.

42. Supposedly medicinal herb that sounds relevant to chiropractors: BONESET. This is also new to me.


43. Restricted road part: BUS LANE.

45. Like some elegant gowns: STRAPLESS.

46. "Whether __ nobler ... ": Hamlet: TIS.

47. "__ been there": I'VE.

50. Adds muscle mass, with "up": BULKS.

51. Honor roll stats: GPAS.

52. Family member: AUNT.

54. "The Green Mile" subj.: ESP. Unfamiliar with "The Green Mile"

57. Slaughter of old baseball: ENOS.

58. Confined, in a way: CHAINED.

59. Badger: TORMENT.

60. Bears witness (to): ATTESTS.

62. Personal bearing: MIEN.

63. Hosp. areas: ORS. So many nice volunteers at the VA hospital in Minneapolis.

64. Common ID: SSN.

65. "Hit the road!": SCRAM.

67. Sugar in much corn syrup: FRUCTOSE.

68. Celt's land: EIRE.

69. Actress Salazar of "Maze Runner" movies: ROSA. Not familiar to me. I bet D-Otto's old sweater has less holes than hers.


72. Venerable letters in global news: UPI.

74. Glass-aloft salutation: CHEERS.

78. Place to stay: INN.

79. Belief: TENET.

80. Con __: tempo marking: MOTO. Learning moment for me.

81. Many a freshman: TEEN.

82. Sporty VW: GTI.

83. Designer Gernreich: RUDI. Monokini.

84. Gavel wielders: JURISTS.

85. Extraordinary: UNUSUAL.

86. Unlikely banquet setting: DINETTE.

88. Wrong: IN ERROR.

93. Legal tender substitute: SCRIP.

94. Target of suburban cleanups: LEAVES. I like the clue.

95. Respectful gesture: SALUTE.

97. Approaches: NEARS.

98. Negotiations: TALKS.

99. Expunge: ERASE.

100. D.C. athlete: NAT.

103. Kitchen equipment: OVENS.

104. Proficiency determiner: TEST.

108. Shore bird: TERN.

111. Like two-thirds of Austria's flag: RED.


113. Dominique's thirst quencher: EAU.

114. 15-season show whose final episode was "Immortality": CSI.

115. Driving need: Abbr.: LIC. License.

116. Propose, in a way: ASK.



Boomer update:

The biopsy showed that Boomer's bone cancer originated from the prostate. He just started taking  Bicalutamide (50mg) yesterday. After two weeks, he'll get a get a hormone shot which lasts for six months. The shot will be repeated, according to Dr Levi Downs. Hopefully we'll know more when we see Dr Downs in two weeks.

We're going to have one more CT scan next Tuesday and bone scan on Oct 16th. In the meantime, Boomer is taking Ibuprofen (800mg) and Oxycodone for pain control.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, esp you, Jerry S, I've read your email so many times. It always calms me down. Also want to say "Thank you" to our caring Dr. Nina (Inanehiker) for her medical advice.

Thank you for the warm wishes and suggestions, everyone. They all comfort me.

C.C.

38 comments:

OwenKL said...

FIWrong by one cell. EMt + EtP. T for transport, and I had no idea about Green Mile.
59d Badger: persisT > TORMENT.
mexico city > PUERTO RICO
bRISk > CRISP

A miss from Tierra del FUEGO
Was at a loss which way to go.
She tried to REFER
To her kitty's purr,
But you can't get a good steer from a calico!

CRIS AGREED that he would ATTEST
The exam was too difficult a TEST.
His G.P.A. it would tip,
Burn his grade to a CRISP!
He was TENSE, but couldn't protest!

The planners said, "This hill can we STEEPEN
For San Francisco's touristing season?
Going down is a cinch,
But up, in a pinch,
Is so slow their journey will LATEN!"

{B+, A-, C.}

fermatprime@gmail.com said...

Greetings!

Thanks to Jeffrey and C.C.!

Things that were not immediate were: CTN., CRISP, ANA, PYE, ESP., BONESET, ROSA, GTI. and CSI. No cheats.

Caregiver too sick to come today. Thankfully, Harv came over and made me some dinner.

Keep hanging in there, Boomer!

Have a great day!

Lemonade714 said...

JW has adjusted to a new forum with his second Sunday LAT this year, and his fourth overall. He once again offers a very nice group of 7 themers and another Shout out to C.C. (ZHOU). He also includes so much sparkly fill. He hits us at 1A with FRACTALS and includes CENSURES, PERSISTENT , SNICKERS IDEAL MAN , STRAPLESS FRUCTOSE ....so many.
And he reminds me how much I do not know with two members of the aster family BONESET and JOE-PYE WEED both steeped in our Native American History and natural medicine.
I also did not know the Canadian born ROSA SALAZAR or the Movie franchise MAZE RUNNER or the books.
Thank you C.C. and Jeffrey

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Thinking it was FIEGO, it took me foe-evuh to parse PIERTORICO and see the error of my ways. Not Pretoria, not some city in Colorado. D'oh! I'm pretty sure we own a copy of The Green Mile, but ESP was slow in coming. I think of it as a movie about prison executions. Wanted Con BRIO before MOTO showed up. Yay! D-o got the theme. Thanx, Jeffrey and C.C. (nice CSO).

C.C., my sweater could give Rosa's a run for the money. Wearing mine in public is forbidden.

Hope Boomer's pain meds are working.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Thank you, Jeffrey, for a really fun challenge which tugged at the furthest brain cells.

FRACTALS, I never heard of them -- all perps. I tried Mandala. Couldn't think of Fire in Spanish at first. Didn't know Ricky Martin's birthplace. Perped and WAGd my way through this.

Last to fill was the NE corner: the ORDS part of COMPOUND WORDS = Ammonia & Water. I was trying to think of the chemical compounds. I had BARED, BELOW, OMEN & MEET but nothing else. EDDY in a hot tub? Who is this guy? LOL! Meh! Didn't know Zhou or Qin was a DYNASTY. Great shout out to C.C.!

C.C.: I thought the China Daily article was interesting. Although the ages of the presidential candidates inspired the author, I think there should be a maximum AGE for candidates of 60. That would make them under 70 if they had two terms. 'Nuff said.

LATEN & STEEPEN just didn't look right to me (apologies to Red Skelton). I know they are right.

C.C. & Boomer: my brother underwent treatment for prostate cancer and was cured. He's traveling and pulling a big camper all over the U.S. feeling great. I hope you can be as fortunate. That type of cancer research & treatment has undergone big changes in recent years. Stay strong!

Prairie Woman said...

This was an enjoyable puzzle twice. I did the top half just after midnight, but the Chicago Tribune site didn’t save as it said. So I started over this morning.

The Crosswords with Friends puzzle is a C.C. puzzle today. It was fun, too.

Best wishes for the success of Boomer’s treatment. My husband has been taking that med for prostate cancer for over nine years. I hope for the same longevity for Boomer!!

desper-otto said...

Anon-T, I noticed that at 9:48 am yesterday you'd already listened to WWDTM. Where do you find it? Houston Public Media doesn't carry it until 10:00.

JJM said...

Sounds like a promising prognosis. Hope all goes well with Boomer.

Got the theme to this puzzle immediately, so nothing really overwhelming. Fill went quickly and smoothly.
Enjoy your Sunday!

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A fun Jeffrey Sunday puzzle where the gimmick was very helpful and clever
-I noticed the shout-out to our blogmistress and appreciated a Boomer update
-FRACTALS was a great start for us math peeps
-Me too D-O
-Joann’s Bohemian side had many CONCERTINA players
-I took many SNAPSHOTS of grandson and his other grandfather who is a state champion marksman. I got to shoot .22’s, 357’s, 45’s, .222’s and a .44 magnum “Dirty Harry” gun
-Them dern Brits pronounce DYNASTY funny
-From yesterday – I do spend very enjoyable hours blogging Saturday puzzles. For 50 years I have prepared lessons trying to present material in a novel way and that is my goal for every puzzle I blog
-Off to hometown “Fall Festival” on a cool, cloudy, drizzly day

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

Well, after two FIW in a row, I was happy to see a user-friendly JW Sunday offering and even happier to finish w/o any help. It wasn't without some crunch, though, to wit: Pye, Boneset, GTI, Moto, and Ana and Rosa, as clued. I also stumbled on At bat/Below and, foolishly, Tuber for Tater. Holding on to Tuber for so long made that SW corner a challenge. Wanting Epee before Judo didn't help but I didn't enter it because I couldn't think of a wording beginning with E for Gavel users. Finally, Jurists filled in and I was home free. I wasn't fond of Laten or Steepen, only because they sound clunky, but I loved seeing the Zhou Qin shout out to our CC. Yay! I also got a kick out of the "I" group: UPI, CSI, GTI, PEI, TOI!

Thanks, Jeffrey W, for a smooth and satisfying solve (great theme, BTW) and thanks, CC, for your gracious guidance and vivid visuals, especially the pictures of Joe-Pye and Boneset, both unfamiliar to me, but colorful and pleasing to the eye. Thanks, also, for the update on Boomer. I hope the meds will offer some relief. Love, thoughts and prayers for you both.

FLN

Lemony, that's a lovely new picture of you and Oo.

Have a great day.

Yellowrocks said...

After a slow start, when I caught on to the re-definition of grammar phrases, this puzzle moved along quickly. Very clever.
I have heard of the Green Mile, but didn't know the story. I did an ABC run for that S in EM- and E-P. Only S made sense. It was my last cell to fill. FIR w/o assistance.
Here there are no leaves to rake so far. Only a handful of trees have turned color. Today the temps are summery. We have had no very cold nights.
I have seen Joe Pye weed on autumn hikes.
I like to read about medicine in the colonial days in the U.S. Boneset and Joe Pye weed were often used.
I find the differences between British and American pronunciation interesting.
differences

Yellowrocks said...

Moving from English class to science class.
Compound word was the grammar term here. How are ammonia and water a different type of compound?
A compound is a substance formed when two or more chemical elements are chemically bonded together. The compound has different properties than its separate parts.Chemical compounds include water and ammonia.

Jerry S said...

Thank you for the compliment

We are all in this together
As I used to say in one of my classes, "no one's getting out of here alive"

Love and laughing keep us going

Hang in there, both of you
Jerry S

inanehiker said...

Slow but sure romp through the grammar fields - Thanks JW for smiles at the clue/answer pairs.
Easy start with FRACTALS as our computer science son loves the patterns of them so much that he has a fractal for a tattoo on his chest!
https://www.google.com/search?q=fractal+images&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMr8ia9PTdAhWC14MKHVNJCGQQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=918#imgrc=joqKKCBi_LDZcM:
WEES about CSO to CC with the ZHOUQIN clue!

Happy for Boomer/CC that you have a plan and getting meds appropriately adjusted!

Thanks CC and JW!

Wilbur Charles said...

CC, Jeff threw another bone, ENOS Slaughter. His connection to the"Curse" story from FLN is the accusation that he tried to sever Jackie Robinson's Achilles tendon on a close play at first. In those days, experienced first basemen left the bag early on close plays*. JR, not a first baseman, kept his foot on the bag too long. No permanent physical harm done but Enos always bore that charge.
He also scored the run from first on a single that decided game seven in '46.
And...
I'll keep Boomer in my prayers

I see I FIW ed. It was EMS. Anybody in that business use that term? But, I guess EMT can't be plural. I too will have to look up Green Mile.

Pretty smooth solve. When I spotted ENOS I started there and moved in a FRACTALLY concentric way. I could see the Grammar unfolding.

I thought perhaps Jeff was looking for the astrological sign next to Taurus. I should know that, Betsy is the authority.

WC

* Now they stay on the bag because of the accursed replay

Spitzboov said...

Hello everyone.

Did it on the Mensa site. Seemed easy for Wechsler and for a Sunday. But I'll take it. No real crunchy areas and the theme readily fell out, too. Big CSO for C.C. today.
66a ISAK Dinesen - - Real name is Karen Blixen. That would make good CW fodder, too.

YR - Not sure I understand your concern on compounds. The clue simply implied water and ammonia are compounds, not that they are a different type. Water is H2O while ammonia is NH3. (Anyone know how to make an IMac do subscripts?). One is a liquid at normal temperature and pressure; the other is a gas.

SwampCat said...

Wow! What a thrill! A JW puzzle I actually solved ! Yay me...

Loved the theme! My wheelhouse. And there were so many clever clues, like chest protector for STERNUM.

I laughed at Autumn adjective for CRISP. Oh, I got the right answer but our autumn is still 80 degrees. More wilting than CRISP.

Thanks, Jeffrey, for another treat.

C.C., thanks for all you do. My love and prayers are with you and Boomer.

Picard said...

CC Thank you for the update on Boomer. Good luck to both of you. So many options. So difficult to sort through and know what is best.

Hand up with OwenKL and Wilbur Charles Hand up FIW with EMT/ETP. After such a long struggle with this puzzle, I just stuck in the T and let it go as my last fill.

Yellowrocks I agree that Ammonia and Water don't seem to be COMPOUNDs. But they do fit the definition of being composed of different elements.

I enjoyed the theme. It was the fill that was exhausting. Unknown names like ENOS, CRIS...

Are people familiar with BUS LANE system in Curitiba, Brazil? I first read about this in Scientific American and I was eager to see it for myself.

Here is a brief article I published on the Curitiba, Brazil BUS LANE system and some of the other wonders of this innovative city.

Here is a hike I lead that is short, but with a route that STEEPENs absurdly in places!

I will be leading it again in three weeks.

Here is a CTA poster I bought in Chicago

Curitiba, Brazil could not afford such a luxury. But they got some of the same benefits!

Yellowrocks said...

Spitz, in the expo water and ammonia were referred to as compound words, the grammar part. All the other clues had a non grammar meaning, as well. I was pointing out that ammonia and water are not merely compound words, but also chemical compounds. Maybe, that meaning was already assumed by all. I'm just appreciating Jeff's consistency and complexity. Sorry.

My favorite crisp for autumn is apple crisp. We could use some crisp weather, as well. It feels like summer here.

Picard said...

From yesterday:
OlManKeith and AnonT I don't think the deleted discussion was about Pen/Ink vs Online. It was about how much help people were willing to get while solving. I am not sure why it was deleted. I, too, am curious how people solve the puzzles.

Interesting story AnonT about the RSA hacking. I had the "A" in RSA as a professor for two classes in college. His name is Leonard Adleman and he was a brilliant computer scientist and mathematician. He taught us how to prove Godel's Incompleteness Theorem. And how to prove the Turing Halting Problem theorem.

He told us that math is a field for young people. Biology is a field for older people. He went on to change fields to biology! He invented "DNA Computing".

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk Say...

C.C. - You and Boomer are in my thoughts. We'll all make it through this together. You must eat, Boomer.

PK - FRACTALS is a fun branch of math w/ pretty pictures. [Dr. inanehiker's Link]

HG - It was either your or JzB that once said you spend 3-4 hours solid hours (++edit time) preparing an expo. I, for one, thank yous for that. IMHO, C.C. picked the Cream of the Corner for our daily fix mixed with info & humor.

D-O: WWDTM was on SiriusXM @8a. It surprised me too that...
a) I was up at 8a on a Sat. (DW is gone one (1!) day & my sleep-pattern has already gone to s***) and
b) Sat Radio was allowed to run it before terrestrial radio (I think there's an agreement there meant to protect local NPR broadcasters - e.g. SiriusXM doesn't get Morning Edition nor ATC). On the plus side, when HPM/ 88.7 KUHF "replayed" WWDTM at 10a, I nail'd every quiz :-)

Spitz - Try ₃ for ₃
Blogger, I just discovered, doesn't allow the 'sub' tag (<sub>).

Picard - GET OUT! That's awesome you had Adleman as a Prof. I only got to read his papers on crypto.

Cheers, -T

desper-otto said...

YR, I always thought compound words were mashups of two stand-alone words, like upside and crosswalk. Water and ammonia don't fit that description, but they are words that are compounds.

Yellowrocks said...

DO, you are correct. I don't know what I am using for a mind today.

Jayce said...

I liked the puzzle today. Impressed by the theme entries. Last to fill, after an alphabet run, was the S in ESP and ENS.

Awesome shout-out to ZHOUQIN!

CrossEyedDave said...

Nice puzzle,
but it leaves weird images in my mind...

Exhibit A

Exhibit L...

And, just a rough neghborhood...

WikWak said...

Yay! A Sunday Jeff W and a CC blog… it doesn’t get any better than this.

FIR in a bit over half an hour with no help needed. I am a little surprised at the number of Cornerites who didn’t know The Green Mile. The film came out at the end of the last century and starred Tom Hanks; it was nominated for several Academy Awards but I don’t believe it won in any of the areas. I enjoyed it.

Got the theme right away (the title helped there) and that made things easier. WEES about the sparkly fill. One of my favorite puzzles of the year so far.

Thoughts and prayers for Boomer and for CC!

Time for my second mid-afternoon nap. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Abejo said...

Good afternoon, folks. Thank you, Jeffrey Wechsler, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, C.C., for a fine review.

This puzzle was not bad. Got through most of it with dogged patience. Wound up with the North being somewhat empty. Answers that came late were: TOI, CTN, ARISES, FUEGO, PUERTO RICO, FRACTALS, BARED, ENEMY, LATEN, EMENDED, DYNASTY. Finally they all fell.

Had a struggle with EMS and ESP. Also ORS and MOANA. I had ERS forever.

DINETTE was confusing. Perps helped.

Liked the theme. My hat off to Jeffrey Wechsler for an amazing puzzle.

Boomer and C.C., I wish for the best to both of you. Hang in there and follow the Doctor's orders. I will be saying prayers for both of you. I believe in the power of prayer. My two cents.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

lamissmolly said...

Thanks Jeremy for a fun puzzle, just about got it all as well and loved the theme!.....double negative, very punny. Liked that one the best.

Picard said...

AnonT Glad that you appreciate the genius of Adleman. One day I had lunch with him and he expressed his view that the stock market made no sense. He saw it as disconnected from reality. I wonder if his view changed on that.

We used this book as our text for his more advanced course:
"An introduction to the general theory of algorithms" by Michael Machtey and Paul Young

I see it is still available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/introduction-general-theory-algorithms-computation/dp/0444002278

Godel had to invent an entire notation system for proofs called Godel Numbering. But with the later invention by Turing of the Turing Machine it was possible to re-state Godel's Theorem in terms of Turing Machines. Much easier to understand.

The genius of Adleman and the text he chose was to teach these difficult concepts using Turing Machines.

Picard said...

PS: AnonT Thanks for the Seinfeld GET OUT clips!

Lemonade714 said...

Thank you IM, we are just having a good time and I guess it shows. Children, grandchildren and each other, what more do we need?

Mimi said...

Very enjoyable puzzle. The Green Mile is one of my favorite movies. Michael Clarke Duncan & Tom Hanks star in it. Written by Stephen King. Don’t understand the ESP part. ESP is not the power John Coffey has. It’s one of the few DVDs I’ve ever bought. Watch it if you have the chance. It’s on TV frequently.

Bill G said...

Hi everybody. Did any of you watch the Chargers football game? I caught part of it as I was flipping channels. During a break in the action, they tend to show some local color and points of interest. Today they had some pretty video of my hometown; some surfers, the shoreline and the iconic Manhattan Beach pier. It's fun to see your hometown on national TV.

I solve online at Mensa. I try to avoid ANY help. That works OK for me up to Wednesday or so. At some point on late week puzzles. I may get completely stuck and I look up something with Google and/or turn on red letters to point out my mistakes. I prefer not to use any help but I much prefer a little help as needed as opposed to just quitting and leaving a puzzle unfinished.

~ Time flies...like an arrow. Fruit flies...like a banana.

Bill G said...

Woohoo! We just watched a SpaceX rocket launch out over the ocean from Vandenberg Air Force Base. We could see it from our driveway. Really impressive! We could see the first stage burning, then separation, then the first stage heading back to Earth while the second stage headed up and over to wherever it was supposed to go. The setting sun lit up the contrail. Cool!

Anonymous T said...

BillG. Pics or it (SpaceX launch) didn't happen :-)
//seriously - that is so cool! Do you have a snap to share?

Picard - Adleman's observation on the market is fairly correct. Though, that doesn't mean you can't profit from irrationality in the meantime. Frankly, I'm near ready to pull all my chips off the table until this thing crashes and then jump back in +/- 5% it bottoming out. I've seen this movie before...

OKL - I was remiss: {F-*, B+, A-, A}

CED - I want to vacation in your mind.

Cheers, -T
*Sorry mate, first one was only 4 lines and none of it rhyme'd! :-)

Dow Jones said...


FYI

The Monday (10/08/18) edition of the Wall Street Journal (WSJ.com) features a C.C. crossword puzzle (Tattoo You). It is available to solve online or a printable version may be downloaded.

Michael said...

This is amazing! I didn't even notice this was a J. Wechsler creation until I came to the corner.....

Either I've gotten more insight into puzzles -- the co-evolution idea -- or I'm working on geriatric inanity, but this one didn't even feel like a JW puzzle.

Wilbur Charles said...

Just in case... If anybody does know what EM as in EMS stands for as opposed to EMTs it's not too late to post it here or on Monday's blog.

I got Green Mile confused with a movie about a convict who studied birds.

Stephen King was not my cup of tea. My cuppa is LEN Deighton though . As I once posted, I have a theory that his trio of trilogies about spy Bernard Sampson (along with Winter*, a prequel) had embedded in it the JFK assassination theory**.

WC

* Winter can stand alone as an interesting study of Germany, 1890-1945.
** I did read that British Security investigated the assassination and delivered a report to the FBI . Said report was duly buried in the Do Not Read files . The key for the British was that Russia was NOT involved hence no threat to British Security.

WC