google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, June 25, 2019, Roland Huget

Advertisements

Jun 25, 2019

Tuesday, June 25, 2019, Roland Huget

Why did it have to be Snakes?  There is a triple "S" hissing sound in each of the theme answers.  Note that the first word of each phrase ends in a double S, and the first word begins with an S to give us the HISS.

17-Across. Contents of a landscaper's spreader: GRASS SEED.

25-Across. Hollywood or Vine, vis-à-vis the other: CROSS STREET.


38-Across. Formal attire: DRESS SUIT.

53-Across. Social hierarchy: CLASS SYSTEM.
64-Across. Leaky tire noise found in five puzzle answers including this one: HISS SOUND.
Across:
1. Scottish Celt: GAEL.

5. Brake component: DISC.
Anatomy of a Break

9. Confronts with cockiness: FACES

14. Road runner: AUTO.

15. Marc with a clothing brand: ECKŌ.  //  And 62-Down:  Novelist Umberto: ECO.  The surnames sound alike.  Marc Eckō (né Marc Louis Milecofsky; b. Aug. 29, 1972) is an American fashion designer and founder of Eckō Limited.  It's not a company I am familiar with, but it apparently is known for its graffiti-style tee shirts and hoodies.
Umberto Eco (Jan. 5, 1932 ~ Feb. 19, 2016) was an Italian novelist, best known for his 1980 historical novel, Name of the Rose.


16. Higher in rank than: ABOVE.  See 53-Across.

19. Jeans material: DENIM.  You, too, can have this pair of Muddy DENIM Jeans for only $425.


20. Bring up, as kids: RAISE.

21. Very small: WEE.

23. MDX ÷ X: CLI.  Roman Math.  1510 ÷ 10 = 151.

24. Building wing: ELL.

30. Voted in: ELECTED.  Voters in our last election got this beautiful sticker after leaving the voting booth.


32. T-shirt coloring method: TIE-DYE.


33. Harp constellation: LYRA.  Obvious, right?


34. Mexican girl: NIÑA.  Today's Spanish lesson.

37. Tots may be bounced on them: KNEES.
41. Bud in a cantina: AMIGO.  More of today's Spanish lesson.

44. Diplomat's forte: TACT.

45. Part of UAE: ARAB.  As in the United Arab Emirates.


49. Most inexperienced, as a recruit: RAWEST.

51. Allowing cars in a single direction at a time, as a bridge: ONE LANE.


56. School support gp.: PTA.  As in the Parent Teacher Association.  This is a crossword staple.

57. Grain bristle: AWN.


58. Acorn producer: OAK.  What did the little Acorn say when he grew up?  Geometry!
59. Unmitigated: UTTER.

Oh, wait.  That's an Otter.

61. Not exactly new: DATED.


67. "Fear of Flying" author Jong: ERICA.  Erica Jong (née Erica Mann; b. Mar. 26, 1942) is probably best known for her 1973 novel, Fear of Flying, which isn't about flying at all, but rather sexual fantasies.

68. Leave out: OMIT.

69. "Rule, Britannia" composer Thomas: ARNE.  I learned about Thomas Arne (né Thomas Augustine Arne; Mar. 12, 1710 ~ Mar. 5, 1778) from doing the crossword puzzles.  He makes occasional guest appearances.

70. Determined to do: SET ON.  As in the sentence:  He's SET ON finishing this puzzle before the end of the day.

71. Nashville venue: OPRY.


72. "The Walking __": zombie show: DEAD.


Down:

1. DVD blooper collection: GAG REEL.


2. By ear: AURALLY.

3. Online merchant: E-TAILER.

4. Red ink: LOSS.

5. __ Moines: DES.  A city in Iowa.


6. Rink surface: ICE.


7. Depicts unfairly, as data: SKEWS.

8. Secret languages: CODES.  The Rosetta Stone helped to de-code ancient languages.


9. Short-lived obsession: FAD.  Anyone remember this short-lived FAD?  I read recently that it's coming back.

10. Civil War prez: ABE.

11. Admit defeat: CONCEDE.

12. Hex-dispensing stare: EVIL EYE.  This Hamsa will protect you from the Evil Eye.


13. Some Middle East natives: SEMITES.  Webster's defines Semite as "(1) a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs; and (2) descendants of these peoples."  The word "Semite"  comes from "Shem", which literally means "name" in Hebrew, and was also the name of the Noah's oldest son.  Thus, in ancient mythology, the Semites were all descendants of Shem.

18. Splinter group: SECT. 22. Ballpark fig.: EST.  As in Estimate.  I initially tried ERA, thinking we were looking for Earned Run Average.  But we weren't actually in the baseball park here.

26. Artist Magritte: RENÉ.  As in René Margritte (né René François Ghislain Magritte; Nov. 21, 1898 Aug. 15, 1967), a Belgium surrealist artist.


27. Writer of exalted verse: ODIST.  As in one who composes Odes.  John Keats (Oct. 31, 1795 ~ Feb. 23, 1821) is probably the best known Odist, having written Ode on a Grecian Urn.

28. __ bar: Polynesian-themed spot: TIKI.

You, too, can get your own Tiki Bar from Amazon.

29. U-Haul truck, e.g.: RENTAL.  When I moved to Boston, I rented a U-Haul to transport all my stuff.  When I went out to return the truck the next day, it was gone.  It had been stolen during the night.  I reported it, and U-Haul never flinched an eye about the loss.


31. Mooches: CADGES.  An interesting new word for me.  It apparently means to ask for or obtain something to which one is not really entitled to.

35. Govt. code-breaking org.: NSA.  As in the National Security Agency.

36. Fancy tie: ASCOT.  Fun to have this answer as the Royal Ascot just ended last Saturday ~ the event where everyone must dress up and women wear outrageous hats.


39. Flag maker Betsy: ROSS.  Betsy Ross (née Elizabeth Griscom; Jan. 1, 1752 ~ Jan. 30, 1836) is credited with having made the first American flag.  Fact or Fiction?

40. __ Reader: eclectic digest: UTNE.  This magazine appears fairly often in the crossword puzzles.  I once got a copy in the mail, totally unsolicited.  I don't remember whether or not I read the issue, but I did not subscribe to the journal.

41. Gaming centers: ARCADES.

42. Invasive computer software: MALWARE.

43. "Give me that!": I WANT IT!  Didn't your mother teach you manners?  Maybe you will CADGE off someone to get what you want.

46. Ecstasy: RAPTURE.

47. Insect's feeler: ANTENNA.


48. Like Abe Lincoln and Santa Claus, facially: BEARDED.


50. Chinese menu general: TSO.  According to an article in the Smithsonian, General Tso Chicken, was invented by a chef from Hunan province in the 1950s in Taiwan.  It is a sweet deep-fried chicken dish.

52. Outback birds: EMUs.


54. Gleeful shout: YAHOO!

55. Pinch pennies: SKIMP.

60. "The Wind in the Willows" amphibious Mr.: TOAD.  The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame (Mar. 8, 1859 ~ July 6, 1932) was first published in 1908.  Although classified as a children's book, it is really about the leisured class of British gentlemen.  The characters are all animals ~ rats, moles, toads, and badgers, who sit around and drink and smoke.


63. "Forrest Gump" lieutenant: DAN.  I didn't remember this character in the movie.  He was played Gary Sinise (b. Mar. 17, 1955) in the movie.


65. Dame's counterpart: SIR.

66. Messy place: STY.

Here's the Grid:

I'll leave you with a QOD:  I think being nice is more important than being clever.  ~  Ricky Gervais (b. June 25, 1961)

41 comments:

OwenKL said...

Caesar in process of conquering Gaul,
Met with a BEARDED Scottish GAEL.
Who offered a bribe
On behalf of his tribe,
Caesar said, "that's SKEWED, so you're going to gaol!"

I'll give you a secret, between you and I,
On how to protect from the EVIL EYE.
Any Garish attire
Will bounce back to the eyer,
So T-shirt to DRESS SUIT, you must TIE DYE!

{C+, B.}

Jim B. said...

11:11 Not bad, considering I was watching the news and talking to my wife at the same time!
Cute puzzle. Good write-up.

OwenKL said...

Just coming back to read the expo after posting my l'icks. I thought the image of a TIE DYED DRESS SUIT would horrifyingly funny. Now I see Hahtoolah outdid me in that image!

Do I get a prescience of the Blog for DES Moines over on the _J?

Lemonade714 said...

Hahtoolah outdid everyone with her images today. Wow.

Seeing Abe Lincoln in a clue and as fill was surprising. My oldest has created a Tiki Bar in his house. He is learning about rum drinks now.

I leave you with some HISTORY of ECKO and the RHINO.

Thank you, Susan and Roland.

TTP said...



Fun puzzle again today, and a wonderful write up and visuals by Hahtoolah.

I also noted the oversight of having ABE in the answer and the clue, but it's not as if anyone was going to miss the answer anyway. At least I'd hope not.

Hahtoolah, one small error. "MDX ÷ X: CLI. Roman Math. 1510 ÷ 10 = 150." Should be 151.

It sounds as if you were able to get your belongings unloaded before the U-HAUL was stolen.

American Pickers personalities Mike and Frank paid an eastern Oregon mother / daughter $1375 for 6 pair of frayed and worn Levis from the 1920s and 1930s after consulting with an expert. That didn't surprise me. What surprised me was that they had no cell service on their way to the family's 8000 acre ranch, but they got the expert on the phone, no problem.

Lt. DAN - One of the golfers dubbed me "LIEUTENANT DAN!!!" years ago after seeing the movie. I get a little "orderly" on tournament days.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Noticed the three Ss with the first theme answer, and confirmed it with the second. Didn't really help with the solve, though. This was a no-Wite-Out Tuesday. Thanx, Roland and Hahtoolah. (Your fun/fact-filled writeup took me longer than solving the puzzle. Well done.)

ONE LANE -- There's a road on the Duck Creek M-o-W route with a half-mile one-lane stretch. Fortunately, it's a straight shot. Everyone checks to see if the road is occupied before entering that section.

DRESS SUIT -- Mine is made of DENIM. I've got dress jeans, everyday jeans, "project pants" and rags. Many are faded, but none are TIE-DYEd.

CADGE -- Familiar with the term, but don't think I've ever heard it spoken.

Bubba said...

I agree Lemon. Seeing ABE twice today was a WEE odd. But I was hesitant to RAISE a stink over it

As is the small error in the Roman math in the explanation. I knew it was slightly SKEWed but it took me more than a second to see the error.

Couldn't get Budweiser out of my head for the 41a clue. ¡Felicidades a Roland o Rich por esa!

The character Hahtoolah chose for the image in 17a looks like he has enjoyed some GRASS. Hope there was no SEED in it however. Really stinks up the place and tastes terrible.

LT. Dan's Band is a band* started by actor Gary Sinise and recently added Kimo Williams to play at USO functions. Gary Sinise is very involved in helping veterans especially through emotional support for those wounded in service. A great guy

The limo EMU commercial on TV now is the worst. In actually cause me to turn the channel. Dont know specifically why it cause such a reaction but I hate it. Really hate it. Unnaturally hate it. Why, I don't know.

*I found a band called "LT. Dan's New Legs" while searching for Sinise's band's name. Funny stuff.

Anonymous said...

Finished in under 5:00, which is a rarity.

I'm not a fan of Roman math in crossword puzzles, so I deducted a point for "CLI."

I appreciate the review having the full names of the people that appeared in the puzzle. Sometimes, I don't know which is the first name and which is the surname.

Anonymous said...

I see TTP saw the typo also. I kept doing the math but couldn't find the error for awhile.

TTP, only on tournament days?!?! We had 2 coworkers named Gene. To differentiate them we called one General Gene for the same reason. It was all in good fun.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW! That's what I get for trying to do math on Roman numerals in my head - dLI instead of CLI. DOH!

Corneries of a certain age will remember Blondie's RAPTURE. Used it as a rallying song during overnight sailboat races from Newport to Ensenada and from Marina del Rey to San Diego. It gets boring and cold in the middle of the night, especially when the wind dies.

Another musical reference to The Who's Magic Bus at I WANT IT.

Fun puzzle, Roland. And great review, Hahtoolah. Except I don't get the joke with the "break" system diagram. The diagram is too fuzzy to read when I enlarge it enough for my old eyes to see.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Uhoh. I left a link to Gimme Dat Ding when I changed my reference to Magic Bus.

Anonymous said...

I had trouble with zooming in on the suit. I found the original at Smiffy's Stand Out Suits out of England. Lots of funny prints there. Also have dresses. Only $60 to $100.

Our image is of a animal print(zebra, leopard etc) backed with neon colors. I like the skeleton one or even the brussel sprouts? one.

Husker Gary said...

Musings¬
-CADGES was just on the boundary of my memory
-A couple of C/K decisions
-Today is only the sixty Tuesday out of eleven where it is dry enough for our golf league. Fore!

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

I just loved this theme. Rest of the solve was easy with just a little bite @ CADGES and ECKO.
LYRA - Includes Vega, anchor of the Summer Triangle.
YAHOO - Perhaps more gleeful than Woohoo.
UTTER - A cow jumping over a barb wire fence could suffer UTTER disaster.
OAK - A word I enjoy saying. German Eiche, L. German Eek, Dutch eik.

TURNING VEGAN is a big missed steak.

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Roland and Hahtoolah.
I FIRed and got the theme in short order. (I did see the double EEs,as well as the triple Esses, in the first two themers but then dismissed them as part of a theme as I proceeded.)

One white-out as Debt changed to LOSS.
I thought of Caste SYSTEM before CLASS SYSTEM but it didn't fit.
I smiled at "Road runner=AUTO".

Besides the ABE (clue/answer dupe), I noted CODES as answer (8D) and clue (35D) "Govt. code-breaking org." with same meaning. Either Rich has changed the rules or he needs some of us to help screen???

Enjoy the day.

Yellowrocks said...

Susan, thanks for all the interesting images. I saw the SSS in the theme fillers and wondered what the reveal would be. I vaguely thought of snakes.
I don't find the image of a snake or two off-putting, but a whole mass of snakes like that feels disgusting to me.
I agree that the emu commercial is annoying. I can't even remember what is is supposed to sell. Now the old fashioned jingles created brand recognition.
I don't care for most surrealist painting, like those of Magritte. There are Dali's that I like.
My dad had a typewriter like that one. He used it all his life, well into the 1980's.
I knew ECO, but nor Ecko, which needed all perps.
Usually people are sure Betsy Ross sewed the first flag or sure that she did not.I enjoyed your article, Susan. We visited her house in Phila.
My neighbor rented a medium sized PODS type of unit to pack for moving. We wondered how it would hold all their furniture and boxes. Their new home is not ready so they rented a Home Depot truck and took two loads to her sister's garage, plus several carfuls of stuff. They were wonderful neighbors, the best I ever had. I will really miss them.
I find the assigned shapes of the constellations quite a stretch. Most of them are hard to believe without the dot-to-pot lines and filler illustrations. Other cultures find other shapes in the stars. Sometimes they even link different stars than we do.
Cadges was used a good bit when I was young. Kids would cadge cigarettes or rides. I have heard cadge used in reference to street beggars, too.
My paperwork awaits.

D4E4H said...

FIR in too many min.

Thank you Roland Huget for this Tuesday CW.

Thank you Hahtoolah for your excellent review.

31 D -- Mooches: CADGES

Ðave

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

The theme was easy to spot but the reveal was still a surprise. Ecko was the only unknown and there were no w/os. As usual, I ignored the Roman numerals and let the perps do the work because I have an inexplicable mental block remembering those above X. Cadge is more familiar in the written use, rather than the verbal.

Thanks, Roland, for a Tuesday treat and thanks, Hatoolah, for the excellent review and numerous striking visuals, especially our dear Argyle. I liked the otter but I'll pass on the snakes and that emu that reminds me of that very annoying commercial. The commercials that I find most insipid and insulting are all for insurance. Is there a message there? I do like Suburu's ads, though, especially the one featuring the yellow Labs tootling around town in their Dog-tested car! (Suburu looks odd, Subaru does, also. Will verify correct spelling.)

FLN

Keith, glad your wife is doing fine.

Have a great day.

Irish Miss said...

Subaru it is!

Yellowrocks said...

To my ear the Alfa Romeo commercial butchers Beethoven's "Ode to Joy." I cringe every time I hear it.
8D 35D some of the puzzles rules like this seems unnecessary to me. The older I get the less of a purist I become about almost everything. Most of my nits are about broadening the horizons, rather than constricting them.

Yellowrocks said...

puzzle rules, not puzzles rules

TTP said...

Jinx, here's that same image in a larger view:
Brake System.

Misty said...

I loved this Roland Huget puzzle, which I got almost perfectly with only one single erasure (had REARS kids before RAISE kids). Many thanks, Roland, and, Hahtoolah, your pictures were wonderful this morning, thanks for that too.

Some international stuff--GAEL, SEMITE, ARAB--and the bits of Spanish. A bit of art--ERICA, ARNE, OPRY, among others. And it was a lot of fun to get those hissing SSSes in the theme words at the end. Also, I had no problem with ABE turning up twice since he's such a crossword staple by now.

Fun poems, Owen--many thanks.

I think I've come down with my first cold in about fifteen years--and in June, of all times. But not too bad and no cause for complaint.

Have a great day, everybody!

CrossEyedDave said...

OK, who created this puzzle?


Gratuitous Kitty link, Pucker Up!

Been away for a while, need to go back and
read about 5 days worth of Blogs...

AnonymousPVX said...


This Tuesday grid filled quickly.

No markovers today.

Not much to discuss...

See you tomorrow.

Wilbur Charles said...

After FIR'ing all the difficult weekend Xwords I stumbled on ECKO. I had SLEWS. I originally had ESELLER and wondered about CODGE vs CADGE .

If I'd known FoF was about Sex I'd have bought ERICA'S book in '73. I wondered why it sold like crazy.

Doing these early weeks I don't see all the clues so when I saw SETIN I thought it was xword staple Anne.

Thanks for thinking of me IM, I'm fine, just wondering about those "rushes". Somebody said it was male menopause. Aarrggghhh!!!

WC

Wilbur Charles said...

FLN, I researched "Hoi Polloi" and Class system pops up today. The English press thinks the Princes shouldn't be playing polo(too hoi Polloi???)

And there was -T's link to James (Bum) Garner. He made a movie about Wyatt Earp and Tom Mix solving crime in Hollywood in 1929. One �� but fascinating subject. Along with a Maverick episode that was a precursor to "The Sting"

WC

Jinx in Norfolk said...

TTP, thanks. I see it's just a straight diagram, nothing punny. I had FOMO when I didn't get the "joke" based on the caption. Like maybe you "break" something when your "brakes" fail.

Wilbur Charles said...

One star from the critics

Jayce said...

I have to echo TTP, who said it well: "Fun puzzle again today, and a wonderful write up and visuals by Hahtoolah." Thanks to you both. Loved your grown up little acorn joke, Hahtoolah.

I didn't even notice the ABE and CODES dupes.

Liked the SSS theme.

"I say, old chap, can I CADGE a fag?"

I love that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Many good scenes in that movie.

I've been told that I was bounced on my Dad's knee when I was a baby. Then again, maybe it was some other joint.

Irish Miss, yes, Subaru is a funny looking name. It is interesting because it is the Japanese word for the Pleiades constellation; hence the automaker's logo depicting a cluster of stars. There's also the Subaru telescope located at the Mauna Kea Observatory on Hawaii.

It's funny how insurance company ads so often claim to save you hundreds of dollars. It doesn't matter which company; they all claim it. So if I have insurance from Company X I will save hundreds by switching to Company Z? Apparently if I have insurance from Company Z I will save hundreds by switching to Company X! Maybe if I switch back and forth enough times my premiums will go down to zero!

Good wishes to you all.

Bill G said...

Lyra is a small, simple constellation that looks mostly like a small parallelogram. It contains, among other things, a pair of close double stars, (double-double) and a little nebula that looks like a smoke ring. I could find it with my small telescope. Very cool.

Ol' Man Keith said...

Hahtoolah ~
Thanks for the Ricky Gervais quote. I quite agree!

Haven't seen UTNE for a while. I thought it had to show up at least once a week, so it is good to see it back. I used to be a reader. Can't remember why I quit. But now and then I force myself to stop subscribing to stuff I don't read.

Wilbur Charles ~
I for one think the princes should stay with their polo games. Who else can afford to keep up their side? And keep their ponies in shape?
And, seriously, who else will defend western civilization in case we revert to cavalry warfare? C'mon!
~ OMK
____________
DR:
One near-side diagonal.
Its anagram picks up on a theme also seen in today's regular grid. In this case it is a tribute to a particularly stern breakaway religious group, a strict and..
"UNAMUSING SECT"!

Abejo said...

Good afternoon, folks. Thank you, Roland Huget, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Hahtoolah, for a fine review.

Puzzle started a little crunchy, but then everything fell into place.

Liked the theme. Helped me with a couple answers as well.

Unknowns were ECKO and ECO. Perps.

I can never remember ERICA or ERIKA. I tried the K first and then had to fix it.

Anyhow, I am going to cut out of here. I am pretty tired. Catch you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

Yellowrocks said...

I have a friend who takes advantage of low cable monthly prices and freebies for x months. When the months are up he switches to a similar network until those months are up, then he switches to another offer. By now he is wired for everything. And the beat goes on.
Loved the body english on the little bowler.

Husker Gary said...

Musings¬
-¬Back from 27 holes played in 5 hrs with five guys!
-The Ricky Gervais quote indicates he really swerved from that philosophy. When he took over the Golden Globes he ridiculed show business and made tasteless attacks on award winners. I enjoyed seeing the “stars” squirm but he went way over board.
-Examples from three years

OwenKL said...

YR: Magritte became one of my favorite artists after I started thinking of in terms of my prosop agnosia (face blindness I mentioned recently.) Also his "The Treachery of Images" (Ceci n’est pas une pipe) is a treat for logicians and grammarians alike!

When I first learned of Urania, the Muse of Astronomy, I thought, huh? Astronomy is a science. What does it need a Muse for? After some thought I realized that a pre-tech civilization sans light pollution would see the stars differently, and drawing the constellations could be an art form we wouldn't conceive of today, allied to painting yet distinct.

CADGES = Wimpy.

Bumper stickers
1) I BRAKE For Animals
2) I Brake For Yard Sales
3) I Break For Coffee.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Was Roland having a HISSSy fit with this construction? Good puzzle!

Good expo, Hahtoolah! I got a real laugh because I read the expo just after I'd been out in the yard talking to my young idiot neighbor. He has had five different pickups in 1919. He said there was something wrong with the brake on the pickup he bought yesterday (1978 model) so he took the brake apart. "I didn't know there were so many parts in there," he said. Duh! kid better take it to an expert. Then he picked up his 2-yr-old, sniffed, made a face, and said, "I better go in and change a diaper." Then I went in and read Hahtoolah's very nicely illustrated work and HAW HAWED.

Liked the U-haul story.

Man, I was sitting on a fortune in patched manure & grease-stained grungy jeans when my man died. I was so thrilled to burn the horrible things. Sob! How was I to know they'd be the next big IN thing?

Bubba at 7:08: I have the same reaction to the LIMU Emu. It isn't pretty. It isn't funny. Neither creature nor man is appealing. Boo HISS! I ain't buying the insurance.

Wilbur Charles said...

OMK, my wife, Betsy, recounts the violent sport of woman's polo although they were 14-17 year old girls. I think jousting would have been less painful.

When asked her favorite sports she said polo and croquet. She did find college hockey particularly gruesome.

My friend had the nickname "Wimpy". We were leaving NY on Amtrak and were going to grab a bite and went into McDonald's.

"I'll have a six and six". Apparently, McDonald's lingo for six burgers and six fries. They went fast, too.

My insurance Co. sent me a nice dividend check as it's a mutual for which my old employer had a deal.

Something tells me I may have overlooked previous checks.

WC

CanadianEh! said...

I think I learned the "no duplication in clues/answers" rule here. Can some constructor tell me whether it is a written rule as part of creating, submitting, editing a CW, or is it just an understood criteria? I don't mind if the rule is going to be broadened, but I would like to know; I hesitated to enter ABE and CODES today because they had been already used. If perfectly acceptable, then no hesitation. (Probably only bothers those of us with eagle eyes who notice such things . . . and are anal LOL)

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

DNF - Didn't know / commit to ECO, DAN, ERICA for two empty cells.

Thanks Roland for the theme that ssslides off one's tongue. WWES about your expo Hahtoolah - just wonderful.

WO: N/A
ESPs: See DNF + ECKO, LRYA, RENE
Fav: I WANT IT [All] [Queen(ish)* - 6:42]

{B, B+}
That's how most SECTs strike me, OMK.

Interesting ECKO link, Lem.

Having never seen it, I had to go look up Bubba's EMU insurance ad - wish I hadn't...

Jinx - did you catch my Saturday post w/ Blondie's Heart of Glass [for my Alfa ad, YR :-)]

PK - funny burning your inheritance because you didn't know how IN grungy jeans would be :-)

I've heard of CADGErs and think of Green Acre's Mr Haney when I think of the word.

C, Eh! - I learned the "no dupes" rule at The Corner too. I assume if it wasn't a "rule" our local constructors would have corrected us.

Cheers, -T
*Picked this version (with Roger Daltrey) since Jinx picked The WHO.

Bubba said...

Dont say I didn't warn ya that I hate it. Really hate it. Unnaturally hate it.

I say we eat that Emu. It could be the fruit of the insurance commercial. You could...

Barbecue it
Boil it, broil it
Bake it, saute it
There could be...
EMU kabobs
EMU creole
EMU gumbo

Well, Let Bubba tell ya all 'bout it!*

*just a little pg-13 drill sergeant talk.