Theme: Classical Elements, mixed with people...
20A. Tree-hugging actress? : DORIS EARTH DAY. Doris Day is a real classic. So is Earth Day - save the world, plant a tree.
33A. Inner-tubing activist? : ROSA WATER PARKS. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus, and became a legend for civil rights. Water parks are ...um, unrelated to civil rights?
40A. Poor-shooting comedy star? : LUCILLE AIR BALL. Lucille Ball was a real air-head, to be sure. An air ball misses the target completely, which is something our next entry would NEVER do!
57. Pontiac-driving basketball player? : LARRY FIRE BIRD. Larry Bird, the ex-Boston Celtics superstar, just announced his retirement as the President of the Pacers. Live long and prosper, my friend! The Fire Bird is a classic car (from the same era as Larry Bird and the Celtics).
Marti here, to take you through the other elements of this puzzle...
1. Melodramatic "Rats!" : ALAS
5. Rooms with microscopes : LABS
9. Descendant : SCION
14. "There Is Nothin' Like a ___" : DAME. From "South Pacific"
15. 1988 World Series MVP Hershiser : OREL
16. NJ-based supermarket chain : A AND P. "The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company"
17. "Yeah, right" : I BET
18. Life in León : VIDA
19. Subordinate to : UNDER
23. "Entourage" agent Gold : ARI. Never heard of this. "Vapid" description must be why...
24. WWII journalist : PYLE. Gomer? No, ERNIE!
25. Yellow Brick Road accessory : OIL CAN. I'm a bit rusty, can you refresh my memory on this one?
28. Silver Bullet Band leader Bob : SEGER. These guys.
30. Old map inits. : SSR. Real old.. Soviet Socialist Republic
32. "___ we alone?" : ARE
38. Blows away : AWES
39. Ohio-based faucet maker : MOEN. I like their ad. (Ooops, that's Delta's ad that I like!) Moen? Booorring!
46. Campfire remnant : ASH
47. 1994 speed skating gold medalist Jansen : DAN. His sister died from leukemia.
48. Backup crew : B-TEAM
50. Uncommon : SCARCE
53. Nonstick kitchen brand : T-FAL
56. ___ gratias : DEO
60. Trooper on the road : ISUZU
62. Modest attire : MAXI
63. Show you're in : ANTE
64. Ruthless bosses : CAPOS
65. Mötley ___ : CRUE. Music (?) link. 4:42
66. Stalk in the garden : STEM
67. Target competitor : KMART. "Attention Kmart shoppers!"
68. Cranks (up) : AMPS. See 65A...
69. TV brother whose real name was Eric : HOSS. "Bonanza" role played by Dan Blocker.
1. Brand with a three-stripe logo : ADIDAS. Correctamundo!
2. Peon : LABORER
3. Mapmaker Vespucci : AMERIGO
4. UFO-tracking org. : SETI. Search for Extra Terrestrial Intellignce.
5. ___-dovey : LOVEY
6. Serif-free font : ARIAL. LIKE THIS
7. Physician's prescription : BED REST. (I think I need some right now!)
8. Crate piece : SLAT
9. King Abdullah, for one : SAUDI
10. Grand ___ : CANAL. In Venice. Anyone else been? You either love it or you hate it...
11. Race-sanctioning biggie : INDY CAR. They even have their own web site. Dang'd if I know what it's all about...
12. Homage in verse : ODE
13. "Science Friday" network : NPR. National Public Radio.
21. Urban planner's concern : SPRAWL
22. "Saw" genre : HORROR. I never saw it...
26. Torah container : ARK
27. Nintendos Super ___ : NES. (Nintendo Entertainment System)
29. Morales of "NYPD Blue" : ESAI. This guy.
31. Many-axled roller : SEMI. Why are they called "semis". Are they only half-finished?
34. Masked worker : WELDER. Vague clue. I was looking for a Zorro type...
35. On the Aegean : ASEA. Our obligatory "A" word
36. Zen garden bit : PEBBLE
37. Future RN's course : ANAT.omy
40. Refrain syllables : LAS. meh
41. Pac-12 member : USC. University of Southern California, or University of South Carolina? "Pac" leads me to believe it is the former.
42. Taco Bell menu item : CHALUPA. Looks like heart-attack material, to me.
43. Army base? : ANT FARM
44. Provided a segue for : LED INTO
45. Ophelia's avenger : LAERTES. From "Hamlet"
49. Dial-up hardware : MODEMS
51. Tonsorial tool : RAZOR. From the Latin tōnsōrius, relating to shaving.
52. Pie maker's pride : CRUST. Not mine...you wouldn't want to eat it, trust me!!
54. Bring together, dating-wise : FIX UP
55. Sign before Taurus : ARIES
58. Classic disco hit : YMCA. Oooh, I just couldn't resist...(Makes reading this whole write-up worth it, don't you think???) Our own Lemonade was the FL lawyer for The Village People...is that where you get all you dance moves, lemony??
59. Major party : BASH
60. "That's disgusting!" : ICK
61. Newsman Donaldson : SAM
That's it for this week. Any questions? E-mail me!