Theme: DIVERSE DANCE DUDS. when i had can can and cha cha, i expected 20a was going to have the same pattern and the theme would be repeating syllables. wrong again.
20A. Short coat for a Spanish 51-Across : BOLERO JACKET. a short, cropped jacket. i usually see men wearing these, like matadors, but women sometimes wear them, too.
31A. Garment for a French 51-Across : CAN CAN SKIRT
38A. Shoes for a Latin American 51-Across : CHA CHA HEELS
and, without further ado, 51A. "Young and sweet, only seventeen" ABBA title girl : DANCING QUEEN
melissa here. who else loves matt? as of this writing, he is in seattle.
1. Reason for a flight delay : FOG. nailed it.
4. Part of EST: Abbr. : STD. eastern standard time.
7. Basic ballroom dance : TWO STEP. more dancing.
14. "Give __ whirl" : IT A
15. __ de coeur: pained outburst : CRI. french, literally cry from the heart.
16. Grainy cracker : OATCAKE. a type of cracker or pancake, popular in scotland, ireland, canada and parts of england.
17. Silky-coated dogs : BORZOIS. aka, russian wolfhound. never heard of it. borzois means swift in russian. looks like a long-haired whippet.
19. Served, as ice cream : SCOOPED
22. A-list : ELITE
23. Hydrating cream brand : OLAY
24. Most junk mail : ADS. the usps recently launched a campaign to save itself by increasing junk mail by five times. sigh. nobody asked me.
27. Ten, for openers? : DECA. prefix.
28. Cut of one's jib, so to speak : MIEN. learning moment for me. i've heard 'cut of one's jib,' but mien is new to me, seems kind of obscure. from dictionary.com: "one's general appearance, mien, or manner: I could tell by the cut of his jib that he wasn't the kind of person I'd want to deal with"
29. Very, in music : ASSAI
33. Cheerleader's accessory : POM-POM. also spelled pom-pon.
37. Pain-relieving drug : OPIATE
42. Piebald mount : PINTO. pied, or spotted horse.
43. __ mater : ALMA
44. Wall St. happenings : IPO'S, initial public offerings.
48. Word on a Chicago cap : SOX
49. Pierre's possessive : A TOI. Je suis tout à 'toi'
50. '60s-'70s TV Guide critic : AMORY. cleveland amory, so obscure.
54. Bit of the Big Apple : BOROUGH. map.
57. Supple : ELASTIC. adjective.
58. Shelter denizen, potentially : ADOPTEE
59. Well-used pencil : NUB
60. Ending with chlor- : IDE
61. Showy shower phenomena : METEORS
62. Lapsang souchong, e.g. : TEA
63. Scoundrel : CAD
1. Was a little false : FIBBED
2. "The Lion in Winter" co-star : O'TOOLE. peter.
3. Appetizing dinnertime smell : GARLIC
4. Make notches in : SCORE. no comment.
5. Quartet with an absentee : TRIO. cute.
6. Prevent the union of : DISJOIN. hmm ... seems like to disjoin is to undo after a union occurred, rather than to prevent it.
7. Region of central Italia : TOSCANA
8. Nutso : WACKY
9. Great Plains tribe : OTOE
10. Many a bagpiper : SCOT
11. Make use of : TAP. would have been nice to see this clued as a type of dance.
12. Barely make, with "out" : EKE
13. Crosswalk user, briefly : PEDestrian.
18. Letter on a sweater : ZETA
21. Novelist Waugh : ALEC. learning moment #2.
24. Giant panda's continent : ASIA
25. It has a sticking point : DART
26. Online destination : SITE
28. Doll's word : MAMA
29. Slithering symbols of the pharaohs : ASPS
30. Manage moguls : SKI
31. West Coast salmon : COHO
32. Superdome home, briefly : NOLA. new orleans, louisiana.
33. HMO doctor designations : PCP'S. primary care physicians.
34. Columbus's home : OHIO
35. Tailless feline : MANX
36. Inc. tax rate, e.g. : PCT. percent.
39. Concocts, as a scheme : HATCHES
40. "The Time Machine" race : ELOI. race of people in h.g. wells's novel.
41. Distinguished : EMINENT
44. Brash radio host : IMUS. i misread this as british radio host, and thought there must be some other IMUS i didn't know about. brash ... oh.
45. Flowery, in a way : POETIC
46. Golden Crinkles maker : ORE-IDA. i learned from michael pollan that industrial potato farmers have to put the potatoes in storage for six months to off gas all the chemical pesticides and fertilizers. no thanks.
47. Matched up, as a laptop and a smartphone : SYNCED. or as fred and ginger.
49. Infuriate : ANGER
50. Jordanian seaport : AQABA. don't have that one memorized.
51. Lowdown : DOPE
52. Geo or Reo : AUTO
53. Krazy __ : GLUE
54. Impact sound : BAM
55. Coleridge wrote one to dejection : ODE. if you're interested.