Theme: Child's Play - A test of your ability to solve column themes.
3D. Start of a nursery rhyme : JACK AND JILL
5D. Start of a nursery rhyme : LONDON BRIDGE
22D. Start of a nursery rhyme : HUMPTY DUMPTY
26D. End of a nursery rhyme, or the fate of this puzzle's other three long answers : ALL FALL DOWN
Argyle here. How many times have you started to write out a troublesome vertical answer horizontally only to recognize it before you get it half done? Is there a name for it? There should be.
Without that little problem, the rest of the puzzle was more Monday than yesterday. Some of the fill linked together nicely. (GASUP ENDAT CNOTE)
1. JFK's running mate : LBJ
4. Muddle through mud : SLOSH
9. Funeral stands : BIERS
14. Notre Dame's Parseghian : ARA
15. Biblical prophet : HOSEA. Or ELIAS or MICAH. Others?
16. Illuminated from below : UPLIT
17. Muscular twitch : TIC
18. Signed in pen : INKED
19. Asia's __ Archipelago : MALAY. Map.
20. Rodent-induced shriek : "EEK!"
21. Manitoba neighbor: Abbr. : N. DAK. On their southern border.
22. Time divs. : HR's
23. Nebulous element : X FACTOR
25. Luminous cosmic objects : QUASARS
29. It's between eleven and one : NOON
30. Rathole : DUMP
31. NASA moon craft : LEM. (lunar excursion module)
32. When repeated twice, a "Seinfeld" catchphrase : YADA
34. Softly hit hit : BLOOP
36. Veal cordon __ : BLEU. (literally, blue ribbon)
37. Grumpy and dopey, but not doc: Abbr. : ADJ's (adjectives)Didn't fool me this time.
38. "Slipstream" album maker Bonnie : RAITT
39. Ices, Mafia-style : OFFS
40. Legal order : WRIT
41. Detailed wood design : INLAY
42. Itchy outbreak : RASH
43. IMer's "How funny!" : LOL
44. On pins and needles : EDGY. The Searchers - Needles and Pins.(2:28)
45. "Sounds fair" : "DEAL"
47. Throw money around : SPLURGE
49. Critters in shells : TURTLES. Do they splurge when they come out of their shells?
52. Mystery writer Grafton : SUE. Our "__ is for ..." author.
53. Tibetan priest : LAMA
54. Make red, e.g. : DYE
55. Fill the tank : GAS UP. Any trouble today?
58. Distorts : WARPS
59. Not even : ODD
60. Go on until : END AT
61. Bill featuring Franklin, in slang : C NOTE
62. Hair on a dummy : WIG
63. Posts : MAILS
64. Goat-legged deity : SATYR
65. Wedding notice word : NÉE
1. Rubber tree product : LATEX
2. Like a summary : BRIEF
4. Eastern religion meaning "way of the gods" : SHINTO
6. Liam's "Schindler's List" role : OSKAR
7. Try to unearth : SEEK
8. Possessed : HAD
9. Unfounded charge, to an alleged perp : BUM RAP
10. "None for me" : "I PASS". I've always heard "I'll pass".
11. Letter-shaped pipe : ELL
12. Narrow inlet : RIA
13. Muddy pen : STY
24. Land on the sea : COAST
25. Sales rep's goal : QUOTA
27. Living coral communities : REEFS
28. Apply, as a pie to the face : SMUSH. Apply? Really?
30. Ornamental mat : DOILY
32. Two-masters : YAWLS. You can serve on one yawl but no one can serve two masters.
33. __ in the bucket : A DROP
35. Oscar winner Jessica : LANGE. She shouldn't be anywhere near the next dude.
36. Sacha Baron Cohen persona : BORAT. Persona non grata.
44. Spews forth : ERUPTS. I prefer a visual of a volcano.
46. Rubbery rubber : ERASER. Cute.
48. Par for the course : USUAL
49. Divination deck : TAROT
50. Singer Gorme : EYDIE
51. Marsh plant : SEDGE. Would this title make you more interested in sedges? Frosted curls to tiger nuts.
53. Superboy's girlfriend Lang : LANA
55. Little treasure : GEM
56. Southern California's Santa __ Mountains : ANA
57. Star Wars initials : SDI. (Strategic Defense Initiative)
58. Liverpool lavs : WC's. (water closet)