Theme: "Logical Connections" - ERGO is hidden in the middle of each theme entry.
24A. Imaginary kids' author : MOTHER GOOSE
31A. NFL commissioner since 2006 : ROGER GOODELL. The most powerful man in sports.
49A. Zeus or Thor : THUNDER GOD
52A. Job interview subject : CAREER GOAL
87A. Sport with orange balls, perhaps : WINTER GOLF. Argyle gave me this clue. Golf is his passion.
89A. Lynne Cheney's predecessor : TIPPER GORE
103A. Hand-crafted belts, e.g. : LEATHER GOODS
114A. Vision-distorting condition caused by a few too many cold ones, slangily : BEER GOGGLES
And reveal entry:
122A. Logical connection hidden in eight puzzle answers : ERGO
This puzzle title is Rich's. Most of the clues are his too. You can click here to see my original submitted clues.
I initially had ERGO placed as the last Across entry, but it resulted in a pair of dupes:
1) SEES FIT (35A) & SEE NO (107D)
2) ELSA (48D) & ELSIE (113A)
So I moved ERGO one row up. Little 3-word dupes are tricky on Sundays, esp for fill like EAT/ATE.
|Initial Lower Right Corner|
1. Like Narcissus : VAIN
5. Tiny tiff : SPAT
9. The pyramids, for 28-Across : TOMBS. And 28. Pyramid figures : PHARAOHS. Too close not to be cross-referenced.
14. Yawn : GAPE
18. Two-time Italian prime minister Moro : ALDO. He stumped me last time. He was kidnapped and killed. Wiki said this: When Moro was abducted, the government immediately took a hard line position: the "State must not bend" on "terrorist demands".
19. Zero __ : HOUR
20. Troubled greatly : ATE AT
21. Affected : ARTSY
22. Rewards for Fido : PATS
23. Kitchen add-on? : ETTE. Kitchenette.
26. Missouri River city : OMAHA
30. Flies into a rage : ERUPTS
33. [Like that!] : SNAP
34. Scrub : SCOUR. I like scouring my pots and pans. Therapeutic.
35. Deems proper : SEES FIT
38. "The Newsroom" channel : HBO. Created by Aaron Sorkin, the guy behind "You can't handle the truth!"
41. "Oh no!" : ACK
44. Miss the mark : ERR
45. Bob and bun : DOs
46. Cold cube in Cologne : EIS. Just ice.
47. Sign of life : PULSE
54. Bausch & Lomb brand : RENU
55. Bitty bites : NIPS
56. End of time? : SILENT E. Rich's clue.
57. Calendar rows: Abbr. : WKS
58. Prank : ANTIC
60. Gave a darn? : SEWED
62. Indulge, with "on" : DOTE
63. Lamb's lament : BAA
64. Bitty bits : ATOMS
67. Utter : SHEER. The sheer meanness of some anonymous posts on our blog! So glad our regulars don't engage them. They don't deserve our attention.
69. "Toy Story" composer Newman : RANDY. Very impressive career.
71. Water__: dental gadget : PIK
73. Us, in Cannes : NOUS. Every girl was reading "Entre Nous" a few years ago.
75. Relevant, to lawyers : AD REM
77. Unlit? : SOBER. Also Rich's clue.
80. 1996 Olympic torch lighter : ALI
81. Short-range weapons : MORTARS
83. Too colorful : LOUD
86. Pure delight : GLEE. My feeling after watching Spitzboov's Guangzhou clip last week. Want to see the historical sites in my hometown Xi'An?
91. Kept under wraps : SAT ON
92. U.K. record label : EMI
93. Paper Mate rival : BIC
94. "Eww, spare me the details!" : TMI
95. Panda Express cooker : WOK. Boomer prefers the Super Grand Buffet here in MN.
96. California's Marina __ Rey : DEL. Five miles north of where Bill G lives. This photo is exactly 1-year-old. Jordan is now 9.
|Bill G & his grandson Jordan|
97. Toaster treat : POP TART
99. Henchmen : THUGS
101. Interpol home, locally : LYON. We add S, we also add S to Marseille. I don't know why.
108. Grocery load : ARMFUL
111. "Carmen" aria : HABANERA
113. Kama __ : SUTRA
116. Close link : BOND
118. Baseball feature : SEAM
119. Small part : CAMEO. I had a trivia for this one.
120. Square one : START
121. Being aired : ON TV
123. Wild plum : SLOE
124. Support staff: Abbr. : ASSTS
125. Unwanted sprout : WEED. And 56D. Sprouts-to-be : SEEDS
126. Slugger who hit his first home run off Clemens : SOSA. Did you know this trivia, TTP & Husker Gary?
1. Steam, e.g. : VAPOR
2. Texas landmark : ALAMO
3. Luggage clip-on : ID TAG
4. Bites : NOSHES
5. Every other hurricane : SHE
6. Mishmash : POTPOURRI
7. Name on a spine : AUTHOR. Book spine.
8. Tire pattern : TREAD
9. They may be hot : TAMALES. Lucina, do you prepare tamales for Thanksgiving also?
10. "Lawrence of Arabia" star : O'TOOLE
11. John Wesley's relig. : METH
12. Words of disgust : BAHs
13. Holy mlle. : STE
14. Occasionally awkward show of affection : GROUP HUG. I'm sure Dave and Manac will find the awkward ones.
15. Perching on : ATOP
16. Hushed "Hey!" : PSST
17. Spud's buds : EYES
21. Bhopal Shatabdi Express stop : AGRA. Easily guessable, right? It's hard to come up with fresh clues for AGRA or OREO.
25. Flat rate? : RENT
27. Like most golf shots : ARCED
29. Patch, as a lawn : RE-SOD
32. Bridge immortal : GOREN
33. Assent showing respeto : SI, SENOR. Respect.
36. Close tight : SEAL
37. Let go : FIRED
39. Detailed : BLOW BY BLOW
40. Yodo River city : OSAKA. Never head of Yodo River.
41. Razor handle : ATRA
42. "Big Brother" host Julie : CHEN
43. Gambian-born "Roots" character : KUNTA KINTE. I learned about slavery from watching "Roots".
45. Teaspoons, maybe : DOSES
47. Fusses in front of a mirror, say : PREENS
48. Model/actress Pataky : ELSA. She dated Adrien Brody for a few years.
50. Nantes night : NUIT
51. Rte. finder : GPS
52. Apple product : CIDER. Not iSomething. How do you like your Mac so far, D-Otto?
53. Jazz legend James : ETTA
59. Scam artists : CON MEN
61. Berth place : WHARF
65. Keep from drifting away : MOOR
66. Operation VIP : SURGEON
68. Dig find : RELIC
70. Big name in rap : DOGG. Snoop (Lion now) or Nate.
71. Bear hands : PAWS
72. Trojan War epic : ILIAD
74. Jazz dance : STOMP
76. Swabbing need : MOP
78. Gateway Arch designer Saarinen : EERO
79. Smell bad : REEK
82. Made a touchdown : ALIT
84. Play for higher stakes : UP THE ANTE
85. Beg to differ : DEMUR
88. Like most customer support numbers : TOLL-FREE
89. Powerful deity : TITAN
90. Mid-'40s World No. 1 tennis pro Bobby : RIGGS
93. Chicken servings : BREASTS
97. Sport with horses : POLO. I've got to link Nacho Figueras, the face of Polo.
98. Nobelist Camus : ALBERT
99. High chair : THRONE
100. Barflies : SOUSES
102. '80s-'90s Serbian auto import : YUGO
104. Quarterback known for kneeling : TEBOW (Tim). I thought he'd be another Tom Brady.
105. Alamogordo's county : OTERO
106. Party poopers : DRAGS
107. Island group near Fiji : SAMOA
108. Early lessons : ABCs
109. Bona fide : REAL
110. Staff note : MEMO
111. 5'4" and 6'2": Abbr. : HGTS. That's mine and Boomer's.
112. "Poor me!" : ALAS
115. Govt. property agency : GSA
117. Redbox rental : DVD