google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, September 5, 2014, Jeffrey Wechsler

Advertisements

Sep 5, 2014

Friday, September 5, 2014, Jeffrey Wechsler

Theme: Take two aspirin and add a J.

I often complain that constructors do not use enough imagination to add the letter "J" to their creations, being prejudiced by my name. This puzzle by our new Friday fixture, JW, takes out all of the stops and uses a really cute reveal to explain all the Js 'popping in' the four in the language phrases, each of which is clued with wit and becomes a fun visual. Mr. Wechsler seems to be on a good Friday run with his usual array of fill such as KNELLED,  SEXISTS,  ST JAMES,  WII MINI, IN A STATE,  MILLINER,  SOMEWHAT,  TO AND FRO.  TOOL SHED,  UNBURDEN. Like yesterday's puzzle, the reveal is really entertaining and fair and no Naticks,  though a few Massachusetts ties. So let's unburden ourselves and see what this First Friday in September has to offer.


16A. Exceptional practical joke? : GREAT JAPE.(9). Am I alone in wondering about the oxymoronic concept of a "practical" joke? Certainly the great ape friend of Cesar had no sense of humor. Jape appears in so many of the British mysteries I read, but it is not a word I would use.

23A. What bearded men get in blizzards? : SNOWY JOWLS. (10). Being a bearded man who is getting more jowly with age, this was easy and revealed the theme quickly. For obvious reasons, the beautiful BIRD does not make it to Florida.
 
34A. Short hike for a beginner? : MAIDEN JAUNT. (11). This seemed so perfect, especially with my mental picture of the Maiden Aunt out in the woods with her binoculars, looking for Snowy Owls.

48A. Jack's friend resting on the hill? : JILL AT EASE. (10). While this is the outlier, with the J added to the first word, I wonder if it wasn't the seed entry to the theme. The question always remains unanswered; why DID they really go up the hill?

And the reveal:

57A. Pretentious showoffs, or, another way, what one would do to create 16-, 23-, 34- and 48-Across : POPINJAYS. (9). I just love a well thought out reveal like this which make the theme so cool. Another nice word from British mysteries.

And the gratuitous bonus fill

5D. NBA legend, familiarly : DR J. Julius Erving, UMass graduate and NBA hall of famer. 63 here.

Across:

1. How an airport shuttle travels : TO AND FRO. Because Back and Forth would not fit.

9. Savors, with "in" : BASKS. In the sun, to...

14. Take a load off : UNBURDEN. from the days stresses.

15. Hwy. paralleling I-95 : US ONE. I live one block west of US 1 and two miles east of 95.

17. Wrist brand : TIMEX. Back in the early days TV commercials never pitted products by name, it was always PRODUCT and brand X, with brand x a poor substitute. I wonder if that inspired the name of this timepiece?

18. Condos, to the management : UNITS.

19. Arrest readings: Abbr. : RTS. An accepted abbreviation of rights, but clued on a Friday level.

21. Lunch spot : DELI.

22. Michelangelo's "David," e.g. : NUDE. 2nd time we have had this recently, and of course fitting that it adjoins...

26. Place to luxuriate : SPA. where people often parade around naked.

27. Band from Birmingham, Eng. : ELO. Electric Light Orchestra. LISTEN.(3:43)


28. Glorifying work : ODE.

29. Distressed, with "up" : HET. They say it derives from situations which 'heat up'. In modern usage, HET refers to a heterosexual person.

30. Cast aspersions : SNIPE. Not my definition.

32. Plenty : SCADS.

37. Goodman's forte : SWING. Benny and his licorice stick.



39. Prepare for a siege : DIG IN. because stock up would not fit.

40. "Voices Carry" pop group '__ Tuesday : TIL. Not in my knowledge bank. They did not last. Their lead singer was names Aimee MANN; they were from the Boston area.

41. 1964 Nobelist's monogram : MLK. Martin Luther King. There are so many famous initials, but few reach his level. If you think only of scientists, this was a very tricky clue.

44. Destroy, in a way : GUT. Once owned a duplex, rented half to a client/friend and he gutted the place. Lesson learned.

45. Discreet email letters : BCC. Blind Carbon Copy, originally.

51. Pull up stakes, briefly : RELOcate. I am not a fan of this form of abbreviation: 7D. Dupe : REPROduction.

52. 1975 Pure Prairie League hit : AMIE. No relation, just french for girl friend. The band keeps working thought the line up of players has changed many many times; they help Vince Gill to become a star.

53. Comfy room : DEN. This room has gone through more changes without ever changing.

54. "A Few Good Men" playwright Sorkin : AARON. My oldest son's name and a prolific and successful WRITER who also created the TV drama the West Wing.

55. Supply near the register : MINTS.

60. War need? : ENEMY. An ironic clue, juxtaposed with...

61. Perturbed : IN A STATE. For which one might need a

62. Warning sound : SIREN. to let the world know of the impending danger.

63. Storage place : TOOL SHED. Do they build these with houses any more? I loved ours growing up, it was dark and dank and a fun place.

Down:

1. Appear : TURN UP.

2. Iroquois League tribe : ONEIDA. One of the Six Nations: Mohawk, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, Seneca and Tuscarora.

3. Wane : ABATE.

4. "Shoot!" : NUTS.

6. Org. that regulates vaccines : FDA. Food and Drug Administration.

8. Damaging combination : ONE TWO. Really nice misdirection with boxing the hidden ingredient.

9. On the other hand : BUT. and, 11D. To a degree : SOMEWHAT.

10. "Just like me" : AS I DO. Do as I do. 49D. "I'll take a shot" : LET ME. What do you have to lose?

12. Rang tragically : KNELLED.  The ringing of a bell to signal a death (Death Knell) goes back centuries; bells also toll for the dead.

13. Some discriminators : SEXISTS. Damn those people who send naked pictures in the cloud!

16. Tries (for) : GUNS.

20. Barrett of Pink Floyd : SYD. He was a founder, the lead singer and guitarist who did not make it past the second album with Pink Floyd.

23. Lost one's footing : SLID. Rhymes with Syd.

24. "Uh-uh" : NOPE. Rhymes with Pope.

25. Pope Francis, e.g. : JESUIT. This religious order was a logical response to the reformation efforts of the Protestants.

27. Brain teaser : ENIGMA. Wrapped in a riddle inside a crossword puzzle.

30. __ Jose : SAN. On my way....

31. Word with living or bitter : END.

33. "The Situation Room" airer : CNN. Cable News Network.

34. Top designer? : MILLINER. Cute, a top (a hat) designer, NOT a TOP Designer. Did this have you spinning?

35. Reel relatives : JIGS. YR must have eaten this clue up about Virginia Reels and Irish Jigs; started me thinking about old movies and old music.

36. Fever with chills : AGUE.

37. Place in Monopoly's orange monopoly : ST. JAMES. One of the boring properties along with New York and Tennessee, not cheap but not exciting unless you can get the aqua and red to make the trip hell for your opponents.

38. Lower-cost Nintendo offering : WII MINI. Their PROMOTION. Never saw one, let alone played one, though I have many WII hours logged.

42. Relative of Inc. : LTD. Many other countries use this designation for privately held companies.

43. "Consider that a gift" : KEEP IT. Usually said after someone has either taken a bite or a sip of your drink/food.

45. Dress down : BERATE. With employees this should always be done in private.

46. Was too sweet : CLOYED. I am used to cloying, so I guess CLOYED should not have been hard.

47. Pen occupants : CONS. many of whom are pros.

50. Reprimand ending : A NO NO. Charlotte is learning about no nos.

51. Hindustan ruler : RAJAH.

54. Single-file travelers, at times : ANTS. Where do those damn sugar ants come from?

56. Numbers for songs?: Abbr. : SYNonym. A nice deception asking to compare the words.

58. Kung __ chicken : PAO.

59. Alcatraz, e.g.: Abbr. : ISLand. Now open for tourists? LINK.

Thanks JW, lots of nice clues and musical inspiration.  I thought the theme was great and overall a smooth Friday. Fall is coming and I am out. Lemonade.

49 comments:

OwenKL said...

There once was a popinjay, a fop,
A macaroni who wore a topknot.
Though he sang Yankee Doodle,
With Yankee wives he'd canoodle;
And add a feather to his cap, like as not!

As he'd march with the drum and the fife
He'd peel an eye for each lonely goodwife.
He'd join in on his fiddle
While selecting next diddle;
He spent wartime as the time of his life!

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Definitely a Friday offering today, but not too hard. The cluing was definitely ramped up a notch (or two), there was at least one total unknown (AMIE) and we had to deal with ANONO, but none of that took away from the enjoyment.

I figured out the theme early on after getting MAIDEN JAUNT and SNOWY JOWLS. That let me throw down POPPINJAYS as the theme reveal with no perps needed and also let me get the other theme answers very easily.

The crossing of AMIE with WII MINI could have been an issue, but it ws pretty easy to guess MINI from the clue.

Unknown said...

Very enjoyable puzzle today by Jeffrey Wechsler, delightful commentary by Lemonade, and clever poem by OwenKL.

If you'll indulge me, today's Chronicle of Higher Education puzzle, entitled "The Ring of Truth," was co-constructed with Martin Herbach, and brilliantly edited by Brad Wilber. We hope you like it.

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

I caused myself considerable logjams in today's Jeff Wex. The NE held the longest because I had put in Rolex. Grokked the theme early, but I've never heard of a Popinjay, so that was all perps.

Morning, Lemon, my customer in Pomfret has asked for a site visit so I may be in that lovely town today.

HeartRx said...

Good morning everyone!

Ahh...I knew you would eat up this "J" theme, Lemony!

I had a bit of trouble in the NW - I had DR* for the NBA star, and filled in DR. T. (What's a "GREAT TAPE?") Oops! When SNOWY JOWEL appeared, I was able to go back and fill in the J without further ado.

'Til Tuesday was a gimme - I remember their "Coming Up CLose" better than "Voices Carry." Both great songs, though.

I don't have a TOOL SHED - but I do have a potting shed, where a lot of tools seem to end up anyway.

Dudley, stop by if you are coming this way- I'll either be next door painting, or in my office.

TGIF!!

Lemonade714 said...

Dudley, my favorite time of year for the old homestead, wish I were there. Are you going by the Vanilla Bean for you morning coffee and snack? Go left and you are at the Rectory School where my formal educational journey began. Southbridge is not a bad drive. Hi miss m.
What does you Pomfret customer require of you?

Jazzbumpa said...

Hi gang -

Despite being more or less on Jeffrey's wavelength today, still a DNF. Couldn't get TURN UP to SHOW UP, though I had all the perps but one, so the GREAT (J)APE didn't TURN UP either.

Sad, 'cuz I had _ _ EAT JAPE. I learned the word JAPE from G.R.R. Martin - not in GoT, though it does appear there, but in Dying of the Light.

Great puzzle, brilliant theme and a fine expo by Lemon.

As to why . . .

Jack and Jill went up the hill
Each had a buck and a quarter.
Jill came down with two and a half -
They didn't go up for water!

Cool regards!
JzB

Lemonade714 said...

When I go back I am always reminded of the Ben Grosvenor Inn which really did host George Washington. As a child being taken there to eat was a magical time; sadly Pomfret School tore it down to build dormitories.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

I'm late this morning due to school bus dodging. Got the theme at GREAT JAPE (for some reason I had immediately penned in DR J), and knew we'd be adding J's as we went along.

DW has been waging war on the ANTS who showed up at the feline feeding station yesterday. She's got little black bait thingees everywhere!

In our little town you're nobody unless you've got 1) a shed, 2) a boat, 3) an RV (preferably the motor coach type), 4) a pool (preferably indoor), and 5) a pickup. The really "in" folks even have a shed for their shed. Well, at least I've got the pickup.

KEEP IT brings to mind the car commercial where the sales lady lends her hairbrush to the windblown blonde customer, who instead uses it to groom her long-haired hound.

Tinbeni said...

Lemon: Thank you for a very informative write-up & links.

Did have some major "write-overs" since my:
Hwy paralleling 1-95 was "A-ONE-A" before US-ONE.
And my Warning sound was "ALARM" before SIREN.

First entry was TIL Tuesday ... time for "Voices Carry" (4:18)
Also, Pure Prairie League 1975 hit, AMIE (4:24)
Per Wiki it was released as their debut single in 1973 ... off their debut 1972 album Bustin' Out.

All-in-all ... a FUN Friday puzzle. Thanks Jeff!

Cheers ...

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

A tad tricky here and there but finished w/o help. Needed perps for Til and Amie. Got the clever theme right away: maiden jaunt was my fav answer.

Thanks, JW, for a fun but challenging Friday, and thanks, Lemony, for your detailed, informative review.

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

POPINJAY on a Friday?!? What an apropos shout out to our resident CON.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! I ususally like Jeffrey's puzzles, but this one not so much. The NW gave me fits and was the last to fill. I had only ONEIDA & FDA on the first pass. Finally got UNITS & SPA, but the first three long ones took several red-letter runs. I had JAPE (a new word for me) in another puzzle this week so finally tried that. I did fill the rest but MEH!

I caught onto the "J" theme in time to fill Dr. J and found the answers amusing. Strangely I got POPIN with only JAYS perped in. That's a term one seldom hears in polite conversation.

Thanks for the great expo and musical links, Lemony. By the way, there's a terrific belly dancer to Santana on one of the side links to ELO. She's got some moves I didn't know a body could do. I don't think I'll try them. Might hurt myself.

Dudley said...

Marti - thanks, but we plan to aviate today - first to the nearby Danielson airport, then after business is done, carry on to Block Island because it's so close. :-)

Lemon - my antique clock hobby gave rise to an unexpected sideline, the upkeep of school clock systems. The Pomfret system was installed in 1948, and there are few technicians around who know how to work on it. I get called in about once a year...

David R said...

This was the best Friday puzzle in a while. It combined a decent theme and still had some great long answers in there as well. A great puzzle needs to be both since the payoff on most themes have some weaknesses. The only demerit I see with this one is the glue that was necessary to hold it together, all that so-so three letter fill.

George I did your CHE yesterday, loved almost all of it except the SE which had a bit too much obscure proper nouns.

desper-otto said...

Dudley, I never heard of Pomfret. Does that derive from French Fry (Pomme Frite)?

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

Hard, but enjoyed this puzzle immensely. After getting POPINJAYS, I saw how the theme worked. Got JILLATEASE and MAIDENJAUNT easily after that. No help needed except for WII which BH helped me to suss. Favorite fill - KNELLED.
Good job - Jeffrey.

HeartRx said...

Dudley - Bummer! I was looking forward to seeing you, but give me a wave as you fly over.

Lemonade714 said...

D-O, what I was told was the name Pomfret came from Yorkshire, UK from the town Pontefract, from the Latin Ponte for bridge.

Misty said...

Well, I was defeated by the SW corner on this one, but got everything else, including the theme and the reveal without any problem. And I did find the "J" theme a lot of fun, so, many thanks, Jeff Wex.

I haven't played Monopoly in so long, I couldn't remember ST.JAMES. That would have helped a lot. And since I didn't know the pop group or AMIE, or the Nintendo game, I just couldn't pull it together. I should clearly listen to contemporary music and play more games instead of just doing crossword puzzles and sudoku all day, shouldn't I?

Have a great Friday, everybody!

Husker Chuck (a.k.a. Ergo) said...

Ahhh man... nailed everything but the SE.

Pen occupants: Cows are held in structures larger than pens. Could it be sows? But then BCC gets busted. Finally settled on COWS and that gave me the household name of AAROW Sorkin.

Sakes... :-)

Anonymous said...

These crosswords are stupid and not indicate any exceptional knowledge at all

Lucina said...

Hola, amigos!

What a great puzzle from Jeffrey Wechsler! And appropriate expose by Lemonade. Thank you for opening up the shadows which almost had me IN A STATE!

Actually I love a puzzle that forces me to think outside the normal and this one was superb! Like others, I caught on to the J-theme at SNOWYJOWLS which made me chuckle and I thought of Argyle's SNOWY beard. Nice CSO.

I believe POPINJAY is one of the titles in the Hunger Games series of books.

The SW however was a total Natick for me because like Misty, I'm just not familiar with current music and pop culture. I finally researched Nintendo and found WIIMINI though I had guessed TIL but with JILL in place doubted the double I's. The rules of language have definitely changed.

Thanks again, Jeff & Lemonade.

Have a happy Friday, everyone!

Ol' Man Keith said...

Don't let me peek - don't let me peek. No! I'm still working on the NE corner!
Get me outta here!

River Doc said...

Happy Friday everybody!

Positively BASKing in the glory of finishing a Friday puzzle, especially since I had no bloody clue about Pure Prarie League, TIL Tuesday, and POPINJAY for that matter....

Plenty of initial errors: ROLEX for TIMEX, CDC for FDA, ALARM for SIREN, DITTO for AS I DO, UNBRIDLE for UNBURDEN, RODS for JIGS, and of course LOADS for SCADS....

Also resisted SnowY because I thought they were simply called SNOW OWLS....

Final letter to fall was the E in AMEE....

Lucina, I believe you are correct about the Hunger Games connection....

Doc out

Steve said...

Thanks for the expo, Lemon and thanks for the brain workout Jeffrey.

SW was slow going for me, mainly because I've never played the US version of Monopoly, I'd never heard of the band and I don't play video games. Enough good crosses to fix that though.

I thought the "JILL" outlier was a little odd - you're not really popping "in" a J when it's going at the start of the entry, but that's a super-minor nit.

Anonymous said...

Argyle, I posted an answer to your question about 9/1 puzzle in that day's comments.

Anonymous G

Yellowrocks said...

Just back from four sunny days down the shore.
Great theme. I got the "add a J" theme with Great Jape. I knew of Dr. J as basketball player. Many times having a word like that in your word bank is all you need. You don't need any specifics.
I knew the words, WII and MINI, but nothing more, so it was a good WAG.
As I added the other J's I couldn't wait to see the reveal. Clever!
Witty, informative blog, Lemony. Thanks for the shout out. I am into dancing Virginia reels, but not Irish jigs. We don't do them, but they are fun to watch elsewhere.
When I was a waitress the boss berated us in front of the customers, many of whom were so turned off, they didn't return.

Wiki says,"The term "practical" refers to the fact that the joke consists of someone doing something physical, instead of a verbal or written joke." This meaning of practical is "of or pertaining to practice or action."
I often wondered about this. Thanks for spurring me to look it up.

Ol' Man Keith said...

OK - I'm back.
Whew! This turned out to be a bona fide Friday challenge from Mr Wechsler--enjoyable once the "J" joke was clear.
I was thrown for a while in the NE because my beard has no jowls, or not much to speak of, being mainly a chin and 'stash deal. In cold weather I was always aware of the icy weight added to my mustache ends and sometimes the trickle of melt that ran along my chin--a strange sensation that ever since I grew my first beard at age 19 made me feel one with biblical prophets.
Anyway, that NE corner was nasty--and some of the blame has to go to the HET of HET UP. I thought of it right away, but for some weird quirk of thinking that made me assume that "distressed" had to do with the aging of denim jeans.

Argyle said...

Anonymous G @3:18 PM, I'll ask here; did anyone else find this to be true in their paper for Monday's puzzle?

"My paper had for 60 across--"Menace who tried (and succeeded twice) to destroy houses made of the ends of 18-, 26- and 47- Across"

Avg Joe said...

This was pretty tough regardless of the day. Thankfully the theme came early and was very helpful. But still struggled in most regions.

While I immediately knew the answer to the Pure Prairie League question, I'd completely forgotten that Amie was an alternate spelling. Still, not too bad of an ear worm to have all day. Their lead singer Craig Fuller later went on to front Little Feat several years after Lowell George died. One album, "Let it Roll", that I'm aware of, and it wasn't too bad. Best cut: Voices on the Wind. Here's another bootleg with Craig singing a Lowell George standard that gives a good contrast to the original: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY8YfhEwrqk:>Willin'</a>

Avg Joe said...

Ooops. reject on the second link. Try, try again Willin'

Kevin said...

Hey everyone.

This was my favorite puzzle of the week. On my first pass, I barely got any of the across answers. But when I worked on the downs, things started to pan out.

I had a lot of write-overs, but they were all satisfying to re-suss out, especially since (as Lemonade pointed out) there were no unruly Naticks.

On a different note, I just saw this amusing commercial in which the comedian Ricky Gervais offers a funny take on internet trolls: Ricky Gervais on Trolls

Lucina said...

Argyle@4:03
The AZ Republic for #60 is "Pretentious showoffs, or another way, what one would do to create 16-, 23-, 34- and 48- across" Yours sounds like a leftover from "huffing, puffing and blowing the house down".

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Great work, Jeffrey and Lemon!

Enjoyed the theme.

WKS (What Kevin said).

No cheats.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

I didn't start this puzzle until really late today, and it was a DNF due to trouble in the SW corner. Had VENT instead of MINT, which really screwed me up. The only Goodman I could think of was John, so didn't come up with SWING. Didn't know WII MINI.

I knew AMIE right away because that's one of my favorite songs. Thanks Lemonade and Tin for the links.

Avg Joe said...

It's been a wild weather ride on the prairie the last two days. Yesterday we topped out at around 95. Today, 65. That led to a declaration of a soup day, so Vichyssoise it is. We had a good yield of potatoes, leeks and onions this year, so the only non-native ingedient is butter. My leeks are almost all around 2 feet tall and better than an inch in diameter, so that bodes well for soup season.

Yellowrocks said...

Ave Joe, would you please share your vichyssoise recipe? I love that soup.

Does anyone have any idea why women are so under-representative in the present Jeopardy tournament? The sole woman is fabulous.



Avg Joe said...

Sure YR. and strictly from the hip

Four cups sliced leeks
One cup sliced onions.
5-6 tbsp butter
4 large potatoes

Sauté the leeks and onions in butter until they begin to caramelize, but don't brown. Cube potatoes and add to pan, add liquid to barely cover. Boil gently until potatoes are tender.

When potatoes are tender, add ~1 cup cream and blend with a hand blender until smooth. Add butter to taste. Once reheated, add sea salt and fresh ground pepper to your preference. Snobs dictate white pepper, but that's just a matter of color, not taste.

Enjoy.

This is a large batch. Adjust to your needs.

CanadianEh! said...

Challenging Friday puzzle but very enjoyable. I got the J-theme fairly early and that helped.

CAFE before DELI held me up.

SNOWY OWLS are beautiful. They have appeared in Niagara two winters in a row and caused traffic jams as photographers (amateur & professional) tried to get a picture.

I was misdirected by DRESS DOWN and was thinking about TGIF.
Have a good one!

Chairman Moe said...

Just finished - dittos for COWS before CONS and I had SLIP before SLID which kept me from getting MAIDEN JAUNT for a long time. Had to look up STJAMES, which helped me solve the SW corner

Lemonade - great recap as usual - jeez, last week you get a puzzle with LEMON over ADE, and this week it was one with a "J" theme! You're on a roll my friend!

Anonymous T said...

Hi All:

Midnight came so I had to TITT. NE corner was my doom. No glory BASKing here.

I loved the puzzle! Thanks JW & LEM for clearing up aforementioned corner.

Oops its not, NOPE. NUTS. That's one err. I had Takes (in) at 9a. MIL (here for youngest's 12th B-Day party), corrected that to BASKS, which made me realize KNELLED was in 11d! NUTS again.

I confused Situation Room w/ News Room on HBO, so bzzt.

Basically, take a pear (Bosc?), put the fat end at 13d, aim it SW and that's what I missed. Oh well, take me behind the TOOL SHED.

Favs: for c/a ENEMY & CONS. GREAT (J) APE made me think of Grape APE - but that's my mind SWINGing TO AND FRO. Also liked ABATE & BERATE in same pzl.

PK - DW was IN A STATE when I said we were going to see belly dancers in Cairo. I guess she pictured a strip club or something - I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. But, it is a very tasteful art form. There was a wedding party that joined in (bride & groom) and I saw the dancer afterwords talking w/ her family who were heaping accolades on her performance.* It takes a lot of control.

Cheers, -T
*I assume by hugs & smiles - I don't speak Arabic

Anonymous T said...

Oh and Ave Joe - I have no idea what vichyssoise is, but the recipe sounds delicious! I gotta try when the temp drops below 65 (sometime in November if we're lucky).

D-O: I have buddies w/ 5th wheels, trucks that get 12 miles to the gallon, and 4 SHEDS (not to mention a gun collection that could arm a militia). In the burbs, we're lucky to have enough space for a garden in our UNITS.

Cheers, -T

Bill G. said...

AnonT, vichyssoise is often served cold. Barbara has made it several times and it is great cold. She even served it with a chilled soup spoon. Delicious!

Anonymous T said...

Bill G - I did not know that. Leeks are now on my grocery list (the other ingredients are staples) and I'll try the cold version now and the warm variety when it gets cold out - the ol' ONE TWO... C, -T

Abejo said...

Good Saturday morning, folks. Thank you, Jeffrey Wechsler, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Lemonade, for a fine review.

I am a day late with this. Finished on the train last night coming home from Chicago. Was too tired and hit the hay.

This was slow going, but it is a Friday. Figured out the theme, by adding a J, way before I got POPINJAYS. I have never heard of a POPINJAY before.

My biggest area of trouble was the NW corner. The only answer I was confident in was 6D FDA. Then I wrote in SHOW UP for 1D. Well, that goofed me up for hours, off and on. I wrote in in BUST for 22A. That made it worse. Finally tried NUDE for 22A. That gave me ONEIDA. Then I realized SHOW UP was wrong and wrote in TURN UP. Everything then fell in place.

Tried HOGS for awhile for 47D, then fixed that to CONS.

Like KNELLED. Good word.

Now I will try Saturday's puzzle. I have a lot to do today, so I hope it is not a real tough one.

See you later today, I hope.

Abejo

(272)

Boo LuQuette AKA Boudreaux in Eunice, La. said...

The Baton Rouge advocate had,Menace who destroyed houses made of the ends of 18-26 and 47 across.

Boo LuQuette AKA Boudreaux in Eunice, La. said...

If you are into Facebook look up The Heirloom Legacy Plant & Seed Traders. Its a fine group. I go by Boudreaux Missy produce. Look us up !!

Anonymous T said...

"Menace who destroyed houses made of the ends of 18-,26-, and 47 -Across" in H. Chron 9/1. C, -T