google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, July 30, 2017, C.C. Burnikel

Advertisements

Jul 30, 2017

Sunday, July 30, 2017, C.C. Burnikel

TITLE: DOUBLE TROUBLE

Husker Gary reporting on another fun C.C. Sunday puzzle. The creative and prolific den mother of our blog has taken eight common two-word phrases and replaced the D that begins one of the words with TR which generates  a silly phrase as you can see below.



Four of the swaps took place in the first word and four in the second word. 


Here are my attempts to make sense of the nonsense products of C.C.'s fun swap as the original phrases seem self-explanatory. 


23. Gathering of zombies? : TRANCE (DANCE) PARTY - Michael DANCING in a TRANCE





25. Vacation including Caribbean dance lessons? : SALSA TRIP (DIP) - Kids getting down on that vacation after lessons




50. Dumpster illumination : TRASH (DASH) LIGHT - Trash can be a 24/7 proposition


53. Case with a strict time limit? : SPEED TRIAL (DIAL) - A possible characteristic of this proceeding 


85. Semi driver's superstition? : LUCKY TRUCK (DUCK) - A LUCKY DUCK in a TRUCK


88. Bugs' wealthy heir? : TRUST (DUST) BUNNY - Would he live like this?


113. Photo including six-pack abs? : TRUNK (DUNK) SHOT


115. Vocal technique used at seders? : KOSHER TRILL (DILL) - You might hear it here


Hmmm... I wonder what a TRAMP WASHCLOTH would look like

Let's see what ELSE C.C. has for us this morning: 


Across

1. Moving manga : ANIME -  Japanese cartoon style - the word "manga" comes from the Japanese word 漫画 composed of the two kanji 漫 (man) meaning "whimsical or impromptu" and 画 (ga) meaning "pictures" This issue will run you about Fifty 27. Currency exchange table letters : U.S. Dollars

6. Celebratory smoke : CIGAR


11. Cause of inflation? : PUMP


15. Winter Palace ruler : TSAR


19. "Hallelujah" songwriter Leonard : COHEN - I tend to think of Handel's magnificent chorus first


20. Mozart work : OPERA


21. Sport involving protective suits : EPEE - I would hope so




22. Sch. publishing the Daily Bruin : UCLA


28. Dietary figs. : RDAS - I don't exceed my Recommended Daily Allowance of salt any more


29. Goad : EGG ON


31. Faithfully following : TRUE TO



32. Awards originally for radio only : PEABODYS - NBC won a PEABODY for this series the year I graduated from high school

34. Is strongly held, as a belief : RUNS DEEP 


36. Long while : EON


37. Burro bellow : BRAY


38. Chatty bird : MYNA


39. Line in an Ellington classic : A TRAIN - You could take a 78  RPM spin on this line

41. Company with a spokesduck : AFLAC - as annoying as that GEICO gecko


43. South American squeezer : BOA


45. Bundle up : SWATHE


47. Eyelid malady : STYE







55. Screen door stuff : MESH - Ours are Kitty-proof

56. Ranch rope : LARIAT

58. Leader who resigned in his sixth yr. : Richard Milhous Nixon and 66. Water gate : DAM - Speaking of RMN and 95. Like some interviews : ON TAPE - Speaking of RMN


59. Wings it, in jazz : VAMPS - When the singer forgets the words, what the band must do


60. Matching pair : SET


61. Subdue, in a way : TASE


62. City WSW of Bogotá : CALI


64. Attorney general before Dick Thornburgh : ED MEESE


67. Pricey mushroom : MOREL - This is an Iowa area code




68. 2015 Verizon purchase : AOL


69. "Kojak" actor : SAVALAS


73. Tinseltown pooch : ASTA - Nick and Nora's Wire Fox Terrier


74. Blighted urban area : SLUM - This perfectly good farm ground had to be declared legally blighted to build a $300M Costco Chicken Plant one mile from me




76. Commonly injured knee ligament, briefly : MCL - Your knee has many ligaments




79. "__ Like You": Young Rascals hit : A GIRL


80. Baggage-opening org. : TSA


82. Exactly right : SPOT ON


84. Harbor sound : TOOT


90. Antoinette's head : TETE - La TETE de Marie Antoinette s'est retrouvé dans un panier (The head of Marie Antoinette wound up in a basket)



91. Remove forcefully : RIP OUT - In Dead Poet's Society, Robin Williams had his students RIP OUT the pages that dared to quantify poetry

93. Apnea-treating doc : ENT


94. Come in : ENTER


97. Note at the office : MEMO


99. "And step on it!" : ASAP


100. Sailor : TAR 


102. Flipped before serving, perhaps : OVER EASY - A mandatory practice in one of Warren Buffet's companies or your next one's free!




104. Gmail lifesaver : UNDO SEND - "I just laid the babysitter" Dang, "I meant I just paid the babysitter!"


108. Safari runner? : IPHONE - Safari's the browser I use on my iPhone


110. Pub fun : DARTS


111. American assignment : SEAT - Ben appears to be   assigned to SEAT 17E

112. John in Wimbledon : LOO - Even John McEnroe had to use the LOO occasionally when he played at Wimbledon

118. Theater section : LOGE


119. Unlikely to bite : TAME - Ask before you pet!


120. Irritated : IRKED


121. Kindergarten refrain : E-I-E-I-O 


122. Slaughter of the Cardinals : ENOS - He was a 125. Risk taker : DARER who is remembered for scoring from first base on a single in the 1946 World Series


123. River of Flanders : YSER


124. Drops of sorrow : TEARS



Down


1. Cause a ruckus : ACT UP


2. Like Thor : NORSE


3. "It's been fun" : I HAD A BLAST - A likely refrain heard after completing a C.C. puzzle


4. Kings and bishops : MEN - The Chess Pieces around here 

5. Make gradual inroads : ENCROACH

6. Number at a doctor's office : CO-PAY


7. "Count me out" : I PASS - "Would you like some liver, Gary?


8. Lang. where all nouns are capitalized : GER


9. Major route : ARTERY



10. Futuristic arms : RAY GUNS - Take that Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!

11. Cancún cash : PESOS


12. "Time to start the day!" : UP AND AT 'EM


13. Brooks of comedy : MEL


14. Heckled : PESTERED


15. Sugar Plum Fairy's dress : TUTU


16. Hours often set by parents : SCREEN TIME - Hmmm...




17. O'Connor successor : ALITO


18. Knock at : RAP ON - Halloween Day will mark the 500th Anniversary of when Luther did RAP ON this door.




24. Whirlpool : EDDY



26. Plucked instrument, in Padua : ARPA

30. Chews (on) : GNAWS


33. Hardly humble : BRASH


35. Hydrocarbon gas : ETHENE - Gotta love all those E's


38. When doubled, fish often grilled : MAHI


40. Its anthem is "Hatikvah" : ISRAEL - The Hope



41. Devices with shielded keypads : ATMS and 109. Slot machine inserts : ONES - One machine giveth and one machine taketh away

42. On the house : FREE


43. Slant : BIAS


44. Mythical monster : OGRE


46. National Pecan Month : APRIL - Puh can/Pee can/Puh cawn/Pee cawn


48. Barks : YAPS


49. Besides : ELSE



51. Guanaco cousin : LLAMA - A definite family resemblance

52. Fiesta fare : TACOS


54. Marge Simpson or June Cleaver : TV MOM - Granddaughter knew the former but had never heard of the latter


57. Knave of Hearts' loot : TARTS - He brought them back when the King commanded him to do so


61. Score : TALLY


63. Moved like a kangaroo : LEAPT - On the East side of the Atlantic and LEAPED on this side


65. Unnerve : DAUNT


66. Dim : DARKEN


67. Auto-painting franchise whose name reverses three letters of a transmission franchise : MAACO - The transmission place of course is AA (beep beed) MCO


69. Margarita flavoring : SALT


70. Fever and shivering : AGUE



71. Quasimodo's creator : VICTOR HUGO - Research at the Tate reveals that HUGO probably based this character on a very respected but reclusive stone mason who was working at Notre Dame when the author was there. No bell ringer that hunchback.

72. Mark on a bass : STRIPE


74. Leave thunderstruck : STUN


75. Going around in circles, say : LOST


76. Only state capital without a McDonald's : MONTPELIER - but you can get to one 10 min away in Berlin, VT.


77. Roadwork marker : CONE


78. Nearly six trillion mi. : LT YR - The light we currently receive on Earth from Proxima Centauri left there in May of 2013




81. Saint's home : SUPER DOME - Also the home for homeless after Hurricane Katrina


83. One may be crumbled on a sundae : OREO


84. Albacore and yellowfin : TUNAS


86. Sham : TRAVESTY


87. Harold's movie pal : KUMAR - I never miss their movies. I never see 'em and I never miss 'em.




89. Lit : BESOTTED


92. Radon detection aid : TEST KIT - $17.57 at War~Mart




96. Honky-__ : TONK


98. Indian city known for its silk production : MYSORE - I found this title amusing and disgusting if read a certain way




99. Purim month : ADAR - There it is in this Jewish year of 5777. My goodness, I think I am still writing 5776 on my checks!

100. Pope, for one : TITLE

101. Splash guard : APRON



103. Food processor? : EATER - ...and not gain a pound

104. Lead to a seat : USHER


105. Has to have : NEEDS


106. "Seriously!" : NO LIE


107. Sorrow : DOLOR - Roethke's poem DOLOR "explores the persona’s response to a life constrained in a grindingly repetitive institutional environment."


114. Exhibits, as doubts : HAS


116. Calypso offshoot : SKA


117. Coastal inlet : RIA


Comments are welcome, even from a TROLL HOUSE



23 comments:

fermatprime said...

Hi everyone!

Thanks to C. C. and Gary!

Enjoyed very much.

Things WAGged or perped: PEABODYS, A TRAIN, ED MEESE, MCL, A GIRL, ARPA, APRIL and MYSOR.

Have a great day!

OwenKL said...

{B-, B+.}

Once all of Russia was ruled by a TSAR.
If you think most were OGRES, you win the CIGAR!
Of Peter, and Ivan, and Katy, you know
But not of stage-struck little HUGO,
BESOTTED by his goal to be the first T.V. Tsar!

A sailor on a TOOT spent his time in a bar,
Playing DARTS and drinking too much by far!
The shore patrol came
And saw Saint Elmo's flame!
That's what will happen when you TASE a TAR!

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Forgot to read the puzzle title. Again. Got the theme anyway and finished in about 15 min. Thanx, CC, and thanx for the tour, HG. Interesting the way "Antoinette's head" and "Remove forcefully" were side-by-side.

I learned to hunt MORELs back in the '70s when I lived in Area Code 319.

WC, from last night, I'd pass on that $30 book. Subway says, "Eat Fresh!" D-O says, "Read cheap."

Thanks for all the "tiring" suggestions and videos yesterday. New tire and tube will arrive tomorrow. As an orange someone once said, "Time will tell."

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Wow! another masterpiece from C.C.! followed by a super deluxe expo from Gary. Good way to start the week.

The puzzle started with a stumper for me. Never heard of "manga" so I googled shamelessly right away. Okay, ANIME. I have heard of that. The rest of the puzzle went better.

Leonard COHEN was a gimmee since his "Hallelujah" as sung by K.D. Lange at the Olympics is one I listen to any time I see a clip. The one by Handel is also great.

Thanks for the knee picture. Never heard of MCL. Athletes seem to have a lot of ACL tears so I tried that. PCL too? Hmmm!

MYSORE: never heard of it but I might remember it sounds like an ouchie.

I grokked the theme pretty early which helped on a couple of those tricky clues.

D-O: hope you are successfully re-tired soon so you can keep that six pack intact.

EATER: Gotta go refuel. Can't believe I finished this one before breakfast. Usually brain dead then.

billocohoes said...

Tried Madras before MYSORE. The Sultan of Mysore was one of the stongest resisters of the British conquest of India

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Clever puzzle and expo. Thanks CC and Gary. I got careless and had two bad cells - the famous city of aONTPELIER and a knave with a TARTe. My excuse for aCL was that I had just read that Devin Fuller of the Falcons is out for next season with an ACL injury. He also missed all of last year, his first in pro ball, with a shoulder injury. No excuse for missing ePOT ON, though. To silly to even blame on decaf.

I wonder how long we will use the term "tape" as a recording medium when it is almost never used? Maybe the usage is permanent, like "dial the number" or "tarmac" for runway paving material.

I misunderstood the meaning of TRAVESTY. I always thought it meant "terrible" instead of "sham". I'll probably actually remember this one.

I liked celebratory smoke for CIGAR along with A GIRL in the grid. Could be cause and effect.

I wonder if Al Gore invented the ARPA, or just ARPANET.

Husker - I enjoyed seeing Ben's airline ticket. As American Airlines riders soon find out, the only two certainties in life are death and Texas. I wonder if Ben was schlepping his own luggage?

Payback day at the campground. It is beautiful today after two days of rainy and grey weather. Homeward bound tomorrow.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

It took me quite a while to get enough filled in to figure out the theme but, once I saw the light, the solve went quickly. CC continues to hone her devilish and devious cluing skills which adds lots of challenge and satisfaction to doing her puzzles. Learning moment was Vamps, as clued. I had Scats at first as that is the only term I associate with jazz improv. Vamps=Theda Bari, et al, to me. Also, knew only ACL, not MCL and it took forever to realize 1A was Manga not Magma.

Thanks, CC, for a Sunday stumper and thanks, HG, for your always entertaining and enlightening expo. Great visuals, as usual.

Off topic, but of possible interest: The Discovery Channel is presenting a 7 episode series, Manhunt: Unabomber, beginning Tuesday, August 1 at 9:00 PM, starring Paul Bettany, Jane Lynch, and Sam Worthington.

Have a great day.

Yellowrocks said...

CC, great puzzle. Funny puns. I liked the theme which I found quickly. Only unfamiliar fill was MCL. Gary, I loved your post and especially the pictures. BTW I don't care for six pack abs on a woman.
One of my favorite historical novels is WINTER PALACE by Eva Stachniak about the early life of Catherine the Great. It was full of palace intrigue. Catherine seemed an innocent, but she was a schemer. 400+ pages, but it kept my interest.
My dad used to say UP AND AT 'EM in the morning.
We are having a DANCE PARTY tomorrow night to introduce newcomers to square dancing, no experience or partner needed. I hope we find enough guests who would like to join our September class. These parties are always fun.
Our club was losing money and so we moved to a new, less expensive venue, 18 months ago. It took a year to get guests used to the change. Lately we have had many guests and a good cash flow, so we are in the black for this past season. Maybe we can subsidize a class that does not fully pay for itself by tuition. It was satisfying to resolve a workable problem.
DO, I hope your new tires and tubes don't cost too much. It must be frustrating, to try so many times.
Our college level Japanese class had several very bright, highly motivated high schoolers who wanted to learn Japanese because they were into manga and anime. They were the best in the class. The weakest were the indifferent 19-21 year olds who took the class for an easy A. LOL.

C6D6 Peg said...

Thanks, C.C., for a fun puzzle that flew by quickly. Loved the theme, and the cluing was also top notch!

Gary, what a great expo you do, especially on C.C. Sundays! Congrats and thanks for the job well done!

maripro said...

Thanks C.C. for a fun puzzle and H.G. for an excellent commentary.

The Sugar Plum Fairy's dress threw me off for a while. I wrote in "tulle" with 2 els occupying one space thinking that was what the double in the title referred to.

I was also puzzled by the clue for "besotted," so I looked it up. It is indeed an archaic form for "drunk" as well as a modern meaning of "infatuated."

I was impressed by the clever use of two full names: Victor Hugo and Ed Meese.

Have a lovely day, everyone.

WikWak said...

All this and another GN word (GNAWS) too--my cup overfloweth! I must have been right on C.C.'s wavelength today, as I finished without having done very many down words. I always enjoy a C.C. puzzle, and with Gary's blog too it's just icing on the cake.
Had no idea that Montpelier had no McDonalds.
Some day I may get all the Hebrew months learned--but I doubt it. Adar is one I do know, and that one got filled in with all perps today.
Favorite entry from Gary today: Never miss it. Never watch it, never miss it.

Time to trim the hedges. I think we may have an anaconda living in there.

Jayce said...

Thanks to C.C. for a fun, imaginative puzzle, and to Gary for an informative and entertaining write-up. A good way to pass the time this fine Sunday.

Abejo said...

Good afternoon, folks. Thank you, C.C., for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Husker Gary, for a fine review.

I never finished Saturday's puzzle. Pretty tough and no time. I got today's in better time than usual, but not in 15 minutes like D-O did.

Wound up starting mainly in the SE. Spread up and never from there.

Only two inkblots. 3D. I had WHAT A BLAST instead of I HAD A BLAST.

DOLOR is a new word for me. Got it with perps. Then I looked it up.

Theme was very clever. Did not need it to solve, however.

Liked the MAACO AAMCO relation.

My favorite dog, ASTA. We seem to get that a lot.

I think Husker Gary made a comment about DIAL a telephone call, or something like that. FYI, the first telephones were push button phones. The Dial came later. If you had a three digit telephone number, i.e.: 456, you had a hundreds button, a tens button, and a units button. You would push the hundreds button 4 times, the tens button 5 times, and the units button 6 times. Those operations would step the Strowger Switch the number of times pushed and make the correct connection to the telephone number 456. The dial, which came later, simply interrupted the circuit by the number dialed, saving you pushing the buttons.

I don't want to bore anyone, so I will shut up and get going. Puzzle was great!

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

Misty said...

Woohoo! Woohoo! Terrific C.C. Sunday puzzle--thank you, thank you, C.C. for giving me a fabulous Sunday morning after my toughie yesterday! I had to work through it slowly, getting a section here, a section there, but it always moved forward until in the end I had the whole thing without a single bit of cheating. Woohoo! And when I was done, I checked out the long answers, and I got the theme--even noting how perfectly the D items were arranged on both sides of the grid. It amazes me how you do that, C.C. Brilliant.
And I loved your pictures and images this morning, Husker Gary, and your always fun commentary. Altogether, a wonderful Sunday.

I was lucky that I got things like COHEN, ED MEESE, ASTA, and ENOS right away--that helped in various corners. Some items drove me crazy. I could picture the guy who played "Kojac" perfectly, sucking a lollipop, but couldn't remember his name until SAVALAS filled in. Then I got it--"TELLY" (wasn't that his first name?). My most stupid moment came with 8 down, which I figured would be some arcane language I'd never heard of. Had to get a V8 can when GER, filled in, GERMAN, my native language which of course capitalizes all nouns. Doh! But this sort of thing is what makes a puzzle a lot of fun.

Have a great Sunday, everybody, and thanks again, C.C. and Gary, for getting mine off to such a great start.

Yellowrocks said...

In the 1940's we had neither a dial nor a push button phone. We had a candlestick phone which stood on a ringer box which we cranked to call the operator. We asked her to be connected to a certain number. Our first phone number was 78. We moved to a more rural area when I was 14, the year of my avatar picture. There we still had a ringer box and, surprisingly, a four party phone line. Our phone rang four times when the call was for us. You could pick up the phone and hear the conversations from the three other parties. It seemed strange for a pastor's phone. Phones numbers in other areas had names for the area code, Rittenhouse, Regent, etc. You asked for the first two letters, RI or RE. Long distance calls were very expensive and were only used in serious circumstances, not to chit chat. My parents didn't have a dial phone until the 1960's.

Wilbur Charles said...

Congrats Misty. I never corrected the I in SAVALIS to the A in LLAMA. I was thinking Corvallis.
I guess the MONTPELIANS have to go to ESSEX for there big Macs.
I had a slow start with Manga and said Wilbur, what's CC doing to us. Then I took a ride south on the Central Artery, caught the theme and cruised.
The Central Artery was the key to Tip O'Neil's big dig I think they're still PUMPing water.

I thought that bird would be WREN again.

I grabbed my TBTimes and Parade fell out with a picture of IDRIS ELBA. One day late.

D-O your right about that$30 price for a book. YR, you like historical novels. I was wondering about Mrs Sherlock Holmes.
It sure looks interesting.

I was just talking about Enos Slaughter the other day but Gary (yes, your usual great job), from Nebraska, didn't need a Redsox fan to tell him Cardinals history.

Also, re. Yellowrocks, my son taught himself Japenese because of video games, Anime etc. I'll ask him about MANGA if I've got a spare hour.

Owen, I've got to nudge that B+ up to a W
Chuckled at TASE a TAR. I chuckled at some of CC's clues too

WC

Yellowrocks said...

WC What about Mrs. Sherlock Holmes? I am lost.

MJ said...

Greetings to all!

Great theme, clever cluing, and a whole lot of fun. I finally understood the theme about half way through, which helped to finish up quickly. TRUST BUNNY was my favorite theme answer, but they were all great. Thank you C.C. for yet another wonderful Sunday puzzle, and thanks Husker Gary for today's tour. You outdid yourself, as usual.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Argyle said...

FLN: Wilbur Charles said...
If any of you readers out there read this, I noticed there's a book "Mrs Sherlock Holmes" about a NY detective at the turn of the century.

The book jacket promises a fascinating tale.

$30.00. I'll buy it on YR or Splynter's recommendation. 😂. Or anybody.

WC a little late

July 30, 2017 at 6:43 AM

Yellowrocks said...

Sounds interesting. I always check the Amazon reviews. I will have to try it.

Lucina said...

So much fun today and I had to miss it. Our July family birthday party was this afternoon and though I finished most of this clever puzzle early this morning, just completed it a short while ago.

Great fun ensued in the solve and Gary captured the essence. Thank you both, C.C. and Gary. I'll have to catch up later. It's time for Grantchester!

I hope all had a delightful Sunday!

Wilbur Charles said...

I just got up. Mrs Sherlock Holmes is a new historical biography of a woman NY detective. I looked at the book jacket and it's a fascinating tale of a private detective who consulted with the NY Police Dept at the turn of the century.

I was wondering if you or one of the other readers had seen it yet.

WC

Picard said...

First theme answer was TRASH LIGHT. I assumed this was taken from FLASH LIGHT. So, I struggled a long time to figure out other theme answers as taking FL to TR. Was I the only one?

Not even sure what DASH LIGHT is. I am guessing it refers to dashboard light. What used to be called an idiot light. Once I got the D to TR theme it was a fun ride!

Thanks Husker Gary for the very creative and interesting links and images!

Hand up for ACL before MCL which was a learning moment. Especially with the helpful diagram!

Never heard of that usage of VAMPS. A search indicates it is not really winging it. It is about repeating a musical phrase as a kind of pause.

Never used an Apple product and never plan to. I knew Safari ran on Apple, but could not figure out how to make that fit. So, IPHONE was my last fill.

Never heard of ENOS, so that SW corner was a challenge. Only know LOGE from the puzzles.

Learning moment that manga must mean cartoons and ANIME must mean the animated ones.

Is there really something called UNDO SEND? That does not seem technically possible.

Never heard of KUMAR. Only Harold and MAUDE. Anyone else?