Theme: Commonality - The reveal shows how the target word, FLAT, can be FINNISHed by the first word of the starred answers.
16A. *2010 Grammy winner for Best Metal Performance: IRON MAIDEN. Flat iron.
39A. *TV cooking competition hosted by Padma Lakshmi: TOP CHEF. Flat top.
10D. *Started a construction project: BROKE GROUND. Flat broke.
24D. *Money-saving investment accounts: TAX SHELTERS. Flat tax.
59A. Paint choice ... and what the first word of the answers to starred clues can literally be: FLAT FINISH
Argyle here. Janice has a nice Tuesday level offering. Classic pinwheel grid.
1. Fancy pillowcase: SHAM. What is a sham? Here
5. Not as expensive: LESS
9. Stats for sluggers: RBIs
13. Lotto variant: KENO
14. Actress Davis played by Susan Sarandon in TV's "Feud": BETTE. "Feud" was a television series on FX.
15. "Alice's Restaurant" singer Guthrie: ARLO
18. Opinion sampling: POLL
19. 2,000 pounds: TON
20. French possessive: SES. French - his.
21. __-Ball: midway game: SKEE
22. Discreetly, in slang: ON THE DL. "On the down low" unfortunately, has a sexual slang meaning. LIU, if you want.
26. Nag, nag, nag: PESTER
28. Black-eyed __: PEAs
29. Electrified particle: ION
31. Without an escort: STAG
32. Bygone Honda sports car: CR-X
Full race mode.
33. Impassive type: STOIC
35. Dry-sounding deodorant brand: ARRID
38. ICU drips: IVs
41. Sch. in Columbus: OSU. Ohio State University--Columbus, OH. We recently had the OSU in Corvallis, OR.
Wexner Medical Center
42. Tiny laugh: TE-HEE. I prefer TEE-HEE.
44. Bundle of papers: SHEAF
45. Put into service: USE
46. Airline to Tel Aviv: EL AL
48. Flub it: ERR
49. Letter-shaped hardware item: T-NUT
50. Sinuous ski race: SLALOM
52. Gets in the way of: IMPEDES
54. H.S. exams: SATs. Paper-based standardized test, originally called the Scholastic Aptitude Test, now just S A T.
55. Dripping: WET
57. SEAL's org.: USN
58. Tech news site: CNET
64. Longfellow's "The Bell of __": ATRI
65. Standoffish: ALOOF
66. Just sitting around: IDLE
67. Pear variety: BOSC
Alright, who's the wise guy?
68. Mix, as a salad: TOSS
69. What Simon does: SAYS
1. Word before bum or bunny: SKI
2. "Tell __ About It": Billy Joel hit: HER
3. "That's __-brainer!": A NO
4. Wall calendar pages: MONTHS
5. Welcoming prop on "Hawaii Five-O": LEI
6. Scheduled takeoff hrs.: ETDs
7. Opposite of cheap: STEEP
8. Taste and touch, e.g.: SENSES
9. Nas or Nelly: RAP STAR
11. More green around the gills: ILLER. Ugh!
12. Shoe bottom: SOLE
14. Old Western villain: BANDITO
17. "The Simpsons" bartender: MOE
22. Footnote ref.: OP CIT. "in the work cited."
23. __-racking: very stressful: NERVE
25. Belt holders: LOOPS
27. Chief of __: Army leader: STAFF
30. Wall recess: NICHE
33. Make off with: STEAL
34. Sorbonne sweetie: CHERI. Mon ami.
36. Point to debate: ISSUE
37. Collaborative 1993 Sinatra album: DUETS
40. Half a winter warmer: EARMUFF
43. Stretchy: ELASTIC
47. Like 1% milk: LOW FAT
49. Wimbledon sport: TENNIS
51. __ Yello: soft drink: MELLO
53. 23rd Greek letter: PSI
54. Picket line crosser: SCAB
56. New Mexico town known for its art scene: TAOS
60. Lean-__: shacks: TOs
61. Wash. neighbor: IDA.
62. Tricky: SLY
63. Guys: HEs