UN PUZZLE THEMELESS POR SAMUEL A. DONALDSON Y ERIK AGARD DE CINQUO DE MAYO!
Ay caramba, Sam and Erik have provided us with a lovely puzzle to help celebrate on this Cinco de Mayo. I'm sure if I asked you 43. "¿Cómo __?": ESTAS (How are you?) after you finished this puzzle, you would say "muy bien" (very good).
I wrote to Sam and he very graciously responded that he met Erik at the 2017 ACPT and proposed collaborating with him and said he has truly enjoyed doing so. Sam said of Erik - In Erik’s case, I relished the chance to work with one of the best crossword constructors around. I think he consistently writes the best clues, and the fill in his puzzles is fresh, erudite, playful, and diverse. Happily, Erik agreed to work with me, and we’ve made a few puzzles since.
|Samuel A. Donaldson Erik Agard|
1. "This is so humbling": I'M HONORED - A man who felt neither humbled nor HONORED and showed it by staying home
10. One skilled in moderation: HOST - Every political debate has a HOST who is supposed o be an unbiased moderator for the event
14. Literally, "something for something": QUID PRO QUO - Is much more elegant than "tit for tat", don't you think?
16. "Once more __ the breach": "Henry V": UNTO - At the Battle Of Agincourt on St. Crispin's Day
17. Backup: UNDERSTUDY - When the UNDERSTUDY tells the star to "break a leg"...
18. "Deadwood" actress Jewell: GERI - She played a disabled woman working in a very tough town
19. Chiller: ICE
20. Good kick: FIELD GOAL - Blair Walsh may never live down this missed short FIELD GOAL that cost the Vikings a 2015 playoff game
22. Virginia senator Kaine: TIM.
23. Firing site: KILN - No one's KILN produces more lovely work than Dale Chihuly's
25. "__ Meenie": Kingston/Bieber hit: EENIE - Go ahead and google it if you're interested
26. Certain fisher: EELER - An EELER with a very effective EEL catching device - The Willow Eel Hive
28. Not following anyone: OUT FRONT - If you're not OUT FRONT like the lead sled dog, the scenery never changes
31. New York home of the Himalayan Highlands: BRONX ZOO - I wonder how many Yeti they have
33. Duck Hunt platform: NES - A 1984 Nintendo video game
34. Southwestern plant whose oil is used in cosmetics: JOJOBA.
36. "It's out of my hands": I TRIED and 39. "Okay, here's the deal": SO LISTEN
38. Rival of SEA and OAK: LAA - Los Angeles Angels (often referred to here as the halos)
41. Design that's just over a foot: ANKLE TAT - My DW's twin got a butterfly there at 65 yrs old
46. Back at the track: BET ON - Here are the odds in the today's big race that will have been run already if you are reading this late Bolt d'Oro is named for Gold (ORO in Spanish) Medal sprinter Usain Bolt, so since this is Cinqo de Mayo... BTW, how'd the handicappers do late, bloggers?
47. Dali contemporary: SERT - Jose' Maria SERT and his "Dining Room?"
49. Subtle signal: NOD - In the original case below is a 1951 Gibson Ukulele that my SIL intended to buy for $300 but he kept NODding until he bought it for $975
54. Sched. uncertainty: TBA - To Be Announced
55. What contacts may help: EYES - I'd like some contacts but my optometrist, uh, can't, see it
56. Irreverent one: BLASPHEMER - This "BLASPHEMER" had some issues with his church
60. Algonquian language: CREE - In the CREE language, Hello is TANISI
61. Drink with a croissant, maybe: CAFE AU LAIT - Much more elegant than simply "coffee with milk"
62. Toy truck name: HESS.
63. What's often on the following page: NEXT MONTH - Cool clue!
1. Short notice?: I QUIT - A good answer today to, "Do you want a 4th Margarita/Mint Julep?"
2. Ball State University city: MUNCIE - Their most famous alum
3. Fugitive's plea: HIDE ME - Rick refused to HIDE Ugarte in this classic movie most of you will know
4. Often flowery words: ODE
5. "Ask Me Another" co-producer: NPR
6. Hosp. areas: ORS - Grandson thinks he wants to be a surgeon but felt woozy when their anesthesiologist neighbor gave him an OR tour
7. Texter's "Too funny!": ROTFL - Rolling On The Floor Laughing
8. Semiannual astronomical event: EQUINOX - Equal day/night (4 days sooner than the recognized day here at 41N Lat)
9. "C'mon, bro!": DUDE - Here's a meaningful monosyllabic exchange
10. Affectionate sort: HUGGER - Awww...
11. Interview, often: ONE-ON-ONE - Lance said admitting to Oprah that he doped and lied about it cost him over $100M
12. Hardly harmonious: STRAINED
13. Going places?: TOILETS - What a great clue Sam and/or Erik!
15. Thimble Theatre name: OYL - There she is!
21. Clear-cut, as for lumber: DEFOREST - Planting replacements is now required
23. Lamp filler: KEROSENE
24. 1950 story collection including "The Evitable Conflict": I ROBOT - Asimov's tale of how intelligent robots can save humans from conflicts among each other
27. Voting Rights Act pres.: LBJ - Just months after JFK's death LBJ used his unique legislative skills to get this historic Act passed
29. Action movie pieces: UZIS.
30. Walk unsteadily: TOTTER - Too many Margaritas or Mint Juleps and...
32. One of the original singers of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight": NALA - Our frequent crossword lioness visitor
34. Novel first credited to Currer Bell: JANE EYRE - Charlotte Bronte first wrote under a male pseudonym (but preserved her initials - as did her sisters) because her mode of writing was not considered feminine
35. Symbols of strength: OAK TREES - Jimmy Dean sang of Big Bad John - "Like a giant OAK TREE, he just stood there alone, Big John"
37. Safety's stat.: INT - Here's an INTerception in the end zone (by a cornerback not a safety...)
38. Test giver: LAB TECH.
40. "You can come out now": IT'S SAFE - or the opposite of that seen below
42. They can be eaten or absorbed: LOSSES - Paramount Studios had to absorb/eat a huge loss on the 2016 remake of Ben Hur
44. Scott Lang, when in costume: ANT-MAN
45. "Very well": SO BE IT
48. Newark's county: ESSEX - A 1905 map
50. Title for Sidious: DARTH - DARTH means Dark Lord and here you see DARTH Sidious next to the more familiar DARTH
52. "Superstore" airer: NBC - A sitcom that has not graced my flat screen
53. Dash: ELAN.
57. Record-setting Lady Vols basketball coach Summitt: PAT - She won more basketball games than any college man or woman. Early onset Alzheimers forced her 2011 retirement but she lived five more years demanding "no pity party for me".
58. Go smoothly: HUM - How Pat Summit's teams played
59. "Shine a Little Love" band, to fans: ELO - Ah, we finish with an old friend
Por favor siéntase libre de añadir sus propios comentarios sobre este 5 de Mayo (Please feel free to enter your own comments on this May 5). Muchas Gracias Sam and Erik!
Note from C.C.:
Argyle's sister Klista has been looking through her photos to put on a photo board at the celebration of his life at the Argyle Fire Department on Saturday, May 12, 2018. She kindly sent me these four to share with our regulars. How I wish I had discussed with him about the Santa Clause cut-out!
Here is a YouTube clip I made with all the Santa photos I have. Or you can click here.