google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, July 25, 2014, Jacob McDermott

Advertisements

Jul 25, 2014

Friday, July 25, 2014, Jacob McDermott

Theme: AUTO-fill. ( I could not resist this after reading yesterday's interview with JW who refuses to use the auto-fill feature of the crossword computer programs, and of course today being all about cars).

Not sure why, and nothing to cry about, but I saw the theme immediately after filling in SAND CRAB. It still takes some solving to find the right car companies, but it was all good and the reveal, the tricky 'tear apart' meaning for rent masking the simple theme of taking an automaker name, split it, and use the front for the beginning of first word of a two word phrase and the rest for the end of the second word. The theme phrases went from  very good (BUILDING BLOCK and DOCKING BRIDGE) to FIRE HAT. The fill had some fun non-theme like AGATHA, BYE NOW, KING ME, LOFTED, ROCOCO, URBANE, RATLINE,  DON’T DELAY and SIDEKICKS. It looks like Mr. McDermott, (who has one prior LAT back in June 2012, but had two NYT publications in 2013, his NYT debut on my birthday) is still hedging on too much long fill, but he used minimal blocks to get this one done. Let us see where Jacob has driven us.


17A. *Beach scuttler : SAND CRAB (8). When I moved down here and visited a house near the ocean, I was shocked by the number of these guys in the yard. My favorite English Teacher in College drove an old SAAB which had no reverse. Made driving and parking a challenge.

24A. *Platform used when mooring ships : DOCKING BRIDGE (13). I will let the boaters explain this, as I DODGE my responsibility.

39A. *Headwear for a hose user : FIRE HAT (7). Not sure of this phrase (Fireman's Hat?). My girl friend weighs 100 pounds and wants this FIAT.

50A. *Lego unit : BUILDING BLOCK (13). I wonder  if this was the seed entry. My father used to always drive a BUICK.
And the reveal:
62A . Wheels on loan ... or, as the circles show, what four puzzle answers have done? : RENT A CAR. As I always say, the reveal is the key to the fun and the renting (tearing apart) of the car names is cool.


Across:


1. Went through with : DID. Good start for me.

4. Places to get stuck : RUTS.

8. Mr. Miyagi's art : KARATE.The movie was brought back to many by the constant references on How I Met Your Mother. Pat Morita of Happy Days fame was great.

14. Prefix with hazard : ECO.

15. Oft-fried vegetable : OKRA. There are only a million vegetables that people fry.

16. Army chopper : APACHE.

19. One concerned with show horses? : BETTOR. My degenerate gambler friends always bet Win/Place not Show. Very cute clue.

20. 101 course, briefly : INTROduction.

21. "Later" : CIAO. Italian, now, like AmEx, accepted world wide.

23. Filmmaker Riefenstahl : LENI. I have had this controversial filmmaker BEFORE.

27. "Later" : BYE NOW.

29. Phrase of clarification : AS IN.I had trouble sussing this one, though it looks easy.

30. Part : ROLE. Mine is to explain.

31. Selma, to Bart : AUNT. Not sure I can tell her from her sister Patty Bouvier.

34. Shindigs, ultimately? : FESTS. Wanted FETES for some reason; I blame Steve and NC.

38. Scandinavian rug : RYA. Another repeat Friday word, this one from JW in May.


41. Soc. Sec. supplement : IRA. This clue for Individual Retirement Account took me longer than it should have. It was a...

42. Kind of pain? : ROYAL.

44. Victim of Atalanta in the Calydonian Hunt : BOAR. I do not want to bore you with this MYTH, but if you want to get a glass of wine and sit and READ....

45. Sixth-day creation : ADAM. Man, this was tricky too.

46. Verdi motif : TEMA. More Italian, hmm, McDermott?

48. Places to see bowlers : ALLEYS. Not the cricket pitch this time, eh Boomer?

55. Tolstoy title name : ANNA. One way to look at this title for all you BOOK CLUB people.

56. Secure, in a way : SEAL. He should not have been as Heidi left him.

57. Impose fraudulently : FOIST. It makes me think of the three stooges  and what comes before second.

60. Disconcerting looks : STARES.

64. Demand upon reaching the other side : KING ME. Very difficult to parse, but good Friday clue/fill.

65. Fictional blue bovine : BABE. Paul Bunyan.

66. The Wildcats of the Big 12 Conf. : KSU. Never to be confused with the boys from Manhattan, the JayHawks.

67. Rains hard? : SLEETS. I wanted sheets, as in it is coming down in sheets.

68. Dutch town : STAD.

69. Ella, in the States : SHE. Some Spanish (Italian too?).

Down:

1. Fred : William :: Ricky : __ : DESI. Did you Love Lucy?

2. Positive words : I CAN. I think I can, I think I can....

3. Urgent ad words : DON'T DELAY. order now!!!!!

4. Florid 18th-century style : ROCOCO.
SOURCE
5. The Dnieper flows through it: Abbr. : UKRaine. An area in the news all too much lately.

6. Bingham of "Baywatch" : TRACI.  Lots of stuff on the internet.

7. '50s vaccine pioneer : SABIN. Polio oral vaccine.

8. Skewered fare : KABOBS. Kebab, tomato, tomahto.

9. Arboreal critter : APE. Anyone seen the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, yet?

10. Rope ladder rung : RATLINE. Complete unknown term. More for the boaters to explain, Jeannie where are you?

11. Pretended to be : ACTED.

12. Adventurous beachwear : THONG. Look if you must.  LINK 1. LINK 2.

13. Creepy : EERIE.

18. Go on and on : DRONE. No longer what we think of with this word.

22. Mystery award : AGATHA. Dame Agatha Christie.

25. River in a 1957 Best Picture title : KWAI. Really fine MOVIE. (3:09)

26. One may lead to a feud : RIFT.

27. Cold response : BRRR. I was thinking figuratively at first.

28. Fluctuate wildly : YO-YO. Big dieting word these days.

32. Cosmopolitan : URBANE. David Niven for me....

33. "The Matrix" hero : NEO. Future urbane?


35. Robin and others : SIDEKICKS. I got this solely from the perps as there are entirely too many Robins.

36. Room service item : TRAY. "Yes, I would like to order a tray please."

37. BJ's competitor : SAM'S. These places are just too big, but great if you have a large family.

39. Bolted : FLED. Not Usain.

40. Sea once fed by the Amu Darya River : ARAL. No idea, but the letters are easy.

43. Out there : AT LARGE. I am not sure which one was meant.
Idiom: at large
1. Not in confinement or captivity; at liberty: a convict still at large.
2. As a whole; in general: the country at large.
3. Representing a nation, state, or district as a whole. Often used in combination: councilor-at-large.
4. Not assigned to a particular country. Often used in combination: ambassador-at-large.
5. At length; copiously.


45. Metal giant : ALCOA. ALuminum COmpany of America.

47. Air balls, e.g. : MISSES. Used often in basketball telecasts.

49. Hit in the air : LOFTED. A soft fly ball to left...

50. Luxuriates : BASKS. Here, it is in the sun.

51. Up to : UNTIL.

52. Silly : INANE. An apt word for much of my blogging style.

53. Clothes : GARBS.  It used to mean stylish ones; from the French garbe meaning graceful outline, which may explain why Greta Guftasson chose her stage name..


54. Pasture call : BLEAT. A word I have not heard in years. This SOUND.(0:18).

58. Ceremonial accessory : SASH. The sash is critical.

59. "Indeed" : TRUE.

61. ER staff member : EMT. Emergency Medical Technician. Nit, they work for the fire department or the ambulance services, IMO..

63. Spurs' org. : NBA. National Basketball Association.

Well another month flying by, another puzzle from a constructor named Jacob (thank you JMc);   I leave you with the image of the 2012 Miss Universe from Rhode Island, Olivia Cuplo, who reminds us even the smallest garden can grow roses. Lemonade out.

62 comments:

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks Jacob, Lemon for your fine efforts!

No circles here. So theme eluded me.

Had bio instead of ECO at first. Never heard of a RATLINE. Never heard of BJ's.

After an inordinate amount of time, I finished this puzzle w/o cheating.

Have a good Sunday!

OwenKL said...

Pity the poor maid, with a SAAB in her voice
Trying as she can to DODGE making a choice
One beau is handsome, one beau is not,
But her father orders, by parental FIAT
She wed not beau geste, but BU ICK, and rejoice!

I know, I know, that verse is lame.
With posey like this, I'll never win fame.
How else could my lyric
Include mention of BUICK?
I should, I suppose, still hide in shame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Cryptic clue for a word in today's puzzle. If you're starting to get these, this one shouldn't be difficult.

Indian father is sore all over
(6)

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Meh.

No circles for me, so I didn't get what was going on at all. Never heard of DOCKING BRIDGE or RATLINE and misspelled LENI as LANI, so the NE was a train wreck for awhile.

The rest of the puzzle was very straightforward, except that I was looking for a specific town instead of the generic STAD at 68A.

Having circles wouldn't have helped with DOCKING BRIDGE, but it certainly would have made the puzzle more interesting...

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Began this at bedtime after a day which had turned my brain bone to sawdust, so no progress. Things made more sense with the sun up.

The circles were there this time, and once the reveal was revealed, the theme helped fill in a few gaps. The last to fall was Rya, one of those many words I see in crosswords but cannot recall when needed. I stared at the crossing BR_R for way too long before the light came on.

Hand up for resisting EMT as an ER employee, seems more likely they work for fire departments.

Anonymous said...

I had a degenerate banker once who was a BETTOR of his knowledge of finance. Turned out he knew very little and decided to steal my money to cover his incompetence. He rented my savings in more ways than one!

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

This was a nice Friday workout -- definitely Friday level. (It is Friday, Fermat.) There were no circles in the Barnacle, so that's my excuse for not getting the TEMA, and I'm sticking to it. Here's another hand up for not knowing RATLINE or BJ's.

Lemon, I'm pretty sure Jacob meant "Out there" in the sense of definition #1 -- "The perp is still out there. Still at large."

Anonymous said...

I believe SIDEKICKS and APACHE were both car models from the past. We once saw them parked in the ALLEYS of the city.

Big Easy said...

Freaky Friday. Firstly there were no circles in the paper so I had no idea what the theme of this puzzle was, even though I had the answers. And lastly it was a DNF because the SW corner DID me in. TEMA???? I had FIND ME instead of KING ME, solved 50D to BASKS. I grew up playing checkers and we always used the term CROWN ME when we got to the other side. The other unknowns, TRACI BOAR LENI SHE, were solved by perps.

SAMS Wholesale. All the food I ate yesterday came from there. The hot dog combo was $1.50, the roasted chicken that I brought home was $4.88, and I pulled some frozen mixed vegetables from the freezer (from Sams) to throw in the microwave.

thehondohurricane said...

TGIF Everyone,

Nice offering today...thank you Jeffery. Had no circles so I had no idea what was going on until I read Lemons write up and for that I thank our resident barrister.

Most of my issues were self inflicted or unknowns, but managed to suss everything out.

46A & 55D were all solved from perps.44A & 33D, the crossing O was a wag.

Edgars was my initial thought instead of AGATHA for 22D. Wanted copter before APACHE for 16A.

I found 19A BETTOR, very misleading. The crossing L for RATLINE. LENI was another wag.

This was a fun fun solve with many (IMO) fresh clues and in the end..... I DID it!

Enjoy your weekend

`

Anonymous said...

BTW, the KSU Wildcats are from Manhattan, the KU Jayhawks are from Lawrence.

Mari said...

Good morning everybody,

The circles showed in my puzzle, but they didn't help much. Even after I solved RENT A CAR I still didn't get it. Disecting words and phrases like that "SAND CRAB - SAAB" never work for me. Too complicated.

Anyway, I did enjoy this puzzle. I also had BIO hazzard before ECO hazzard at 14A. I didn't know RYA, TEMA RAT LINE, etc.

Have a great day.

TTP said...

No circles here and never got the theme. Still fun.

I wanted HUEY, COBRA, or CHINOOK for army chopper, but none fit. That was my era. Did you know the UH-1 was named Iroquois ?

NEO BOAR intersection would most likely have been an E or an O, and I guessed an E.

Liked THONG. Forgot LENI from previous puzzles, but wagged the L which would make sense in RATLINE.

Mr Miyagi's art was BONSAI, and nothing worked, until I thought martial art. Hai KARATE ! (Women can't resist it. You'll have to fight them off.)

Dutch town was literal. I thought, "Spitboov is going to get STAD and RYA without DELAY."

I have all kinds of pains. But ROYAL made me laugh. "Demand on reaching the other side" threw me for the longest time.

Thank you Jacob McDermott.

I enjoyed your writeup Lemonade. Thank you. Have to agree with D-O on 1st def for AT LARGE.

Anonymous said...

WIKI says, "EMTs are often employed by ambulance services, governments, and HOSPITALS, but are also sometimes employed by fire departments (and seen on fire apparatus), in police departments (and seen on police vehicles), and there are many firefighter/EMTs and police officer/EMTs."
Many hospitals run their own ambulance services.

Anonymous said...

A quick Google search shows 208,000,000 results for FIRE HAT.

A search for fireman's hat shows 411,00 results.

Not sure what that means but that's the facts.

desper-otto said...

EMT's in these parts are employed by the Hospital District -- a property-taxing entity. They have their own "stations" around the county, apart from any Hospital.

Anonymous said...

Link fire hats

Argyle said...

In quotes: "fire hat" About 176,000 results

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Fire hat. Who uses it? More likely to say fire helmet. No circles, vague clueing, and a theme that gave me a headache made for a blah solve.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

Like yesterday's puzzle, this, too, seemed easier than a typical Friday, although there were a few crunchies. Because of the circles, the theme was evident early on. Never heard of rat line. What does tema refer to?

Nice job, Jacob, and nice expo, Lemony.

Another beautiful July day. Enjoy it, everyone.

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

Since my paper carried no circles, the theme went way by me.
Slow start, mainly in the NE Two cups of coffee later the dam burst andall the corners became filled in. Sussed DOCKING BRIDGE and BUILDING BLOCK. Was befuddled by KING ME, but thought of the checkers move. (Played a lot of checkers as a kid until I learnt chess).
TEMA was a WAG as was BOAR.
Glad I stuck with it. No strikethroughs or searches were needed.
Kudos to Jacob for presenting a fun, challenging puzzle.

Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Argyle, and in quotes: "fireman's hat" nets 61,400 results.

So, what's your point?

Argyle said...

Point being that 208,000,000 results for FIRE HAT is irrelevant.

Anonymous said...

I betcha that 208,000,000 users never use "quotes" when googling.

Speaking of quotes, "Never argue with an idiot..."

Or my favorite, "Never wrestle with a pig..."

Argyle said...

I can't argue with that.

Didn't care for the clue anyway; Firemen wear helmets.

HeartRx said...

Good morning all!

It took me longer to read your write-up and explore the links today than it took me to finish the puzzle, Lemony! But it's all good. I was still on the "cricket" bowler angle from last week's Thursday puzzle, so a big V8 moment when I finally saw ALLEY.

My only problem with the theme is that I really, really wanted to enter RENTA-L-CAR, but danged if I could make it fit in the given spaces! Should RENT-A-CAR have been clued with some suggestion of a brand name (Avis or Enterprise, e.g.)? Or is that just a generic term for any loan service?

Irish Miss @ 9:15, TEMA is Italian for "theme."

TGIF!

PK said...

Hi Y'all! I came, I filled it, It conquered me! Thank you anyway, Jacob. No circles. No patience. No get the theme until Lemon explained. Thanks.

I did know KSU: my money-well-spent went there for four years.

This was the type of puzzle where I was thrilled at anything I got the first time, like KWAI & ALCOA. Too many entries turned red several times before I got a letter or two to get a toe-hold.

I remember hearing that Ukranian river on TV and thinking we'd soon have that in a puzzle. But did I remember in which country it flowed? Nope. I tried Afghanistan first. TMI these days.

Lovely balmy day here now, threatening three-digit heat this afternoon. Why am I wasting the nice hours at the computer?

PK said...

When I briefly looked for the cars after the reveal, I didn't see Hertz or Avis or Budget and gave up. However, the last theme phrase had a big noticeable DING right about where a car door would be. I chuckled over that.

JD said...

Good morning all,

The circles didn't help, but I rarely get the theme. Enjoyed it even if I DNF.Ratline derailed my efforts, and BJ's has a completely different meaning to me. Never have had room service, but trays and many others were obvious.
LOVED "king me". Good job Jacob&Jacob!

Having a small heat wave in our area... Much better than last week's unusual humidity. Enjoy your Friday.

kazie said...

Everything that could go wrong for me DID today. first, there were no circles, so didn't see any cars. i also have no idea whi Fred and William are, and have never heard of BJ's, so couldn't guess SAM'S

Then I had BIO/ECO, SALKE/SABIN (thought the extea letter must be a silent E), NOT NOW/BYE NOW, had forgotten RYA, though I recognize it now.

Not a good one for me. Enjoy the weekend all of you!

My gotcha looks like what was there yesterday. Does it not change if you don't use it from one day to the next?

HeartRx said...

I forgot to mention, RATLINE was a gimme. I once built a 3' model of the USS Constellation. I had to tie hundreds of those little suckers one at a time.

HeartRx said...

Here's what the model looked like when it was complete. The sails actually worked - you could furl them and unfurl them. I liked them furled, because you could see more of the rigging details that way.

Misty said...

Well, I thought this puzzle was a lot of fun at first, and got everything but the mid-West. Tried and tried, but NOT NOW wasn't working and DON'T DRIVE wasn't working, and nothing worked. Also didn't have circles, like many others, and so kept looking for the word CAR split up--but found it only in SAND CRAB. So never really got the theme either.

Went to comfort myself with a Sudoku, but Friday is Diabolical Suduko day, so that didn't work either.

But what I got of the puzzle was fun, so I don't think this starts a terrible Friday, and I wish you all a good one too!

Lucina said...


Greetings, Super Solvers!

No circles for me, either. I think it would have been fun to suss the theme with them.

Started out at a snail's pace then one by one, ROCOCO/OKRA it gradually filled. APACHE helicopters are manufactured here in Mesa and provide jobs for hundreds of people.

KABOBS variations in spelling tied me up for a while, KEBABS/KABABS and finally CIAO finished it for me.

It was fun, Jacob; I really like misdirection in the clues but this time I had several errors which fit and didn't notice until Lemonade's excellent expose. Thank you both.

Have a fun Friday, everyone! Mani/pedi day.

Chairman Moe said...

Owen @ 5:49 - we are all entitled to a "day off" from creativity but in this case, poetic license is allowed! ;^) I got "stuck" yesterday and just decided not to do one. Today's limerick might be late/missing as well.

To the puzzle today, WEES, I really liked the clues to 64A and 19A - very clever, although as another poster said, most BETTORs are not concerned with the "show" horse in a race - unless of course they're betting on a prohibitive favorite, as the "show" money sometimes is the same as the win/place. Of course if said horse finishes out of the money, those BETTORS are known as "bridge jumpers" . . .

Only write-overs were 39D (I originally had SPED) and 68A (EDAM - thought they actually wanted the name of a city/town rather than the Dutch language word). And as for 37D, I just bought a membership - our Groupon had a heck of a deal ($35 for annual for two + $20 gift card and $28 in food items).

No circles in the print edition of the LATCW in our paper, but I got all the answers. Didn't see the car names, though, until reading the write-up here. FIAT and SAAB are not cars you usually rent, unless you're in Europe . . .

fermatprime said...

desper-otto: but was harder for me than the usual Friday!

Tinbeni said...

Lemon: Excellent write-up & links.

I really enjoyed this theme, even though my paper didn't have any circles.
I didn't need them to suss the theme cars after RENT-A-CAR filled in ...

Hand-up for not really liking FIRE HAT (over FIRE HELMET!).

Only needed "every-single-perp" to get SAMS, LENI, TEMA & STAD.

Adventurous beachwear, THONG, well I was thinking about the nude beach at Hedonism II ... ala, naked.
Although that really isn't very adventurous when everyone else is naked too.

And for "BJ's competitor" well my mind was in-the-gutter about what that was going to be ... lol !!!

Cheers!!!

Lemonade714 said...

Kazie, Fred Mertz was the landlord and eventual best friend of Ricky Ricardo on I Love Lucy
and was Played by WILLIAM Frawley, with Ricky played by DESI Arnaz.

Third and fourth horses in a race a very important to trifecta and superfecta players.

Lemonade714 said...

marti thanks for sharing your story and the picture

Lemonade714 said...

My dad drove a red Buick
Its transmission was stick
I tried to drive it one day
but did not know the way
Crashed, and now feel quite sick

OwenKL said...

Indian | father | is sore all over (6)
[APACHE] = [PA] [covered by ACHE]

Worked today's on the Mensa site, so no circles, but like Tin I thought the asterisks combined with the RENT-A-CAR reveal was clear enough that I didn't need the circles anyway. Never heard of a DOCKING BRIDGE, but once I decided a hose user wasn't a bank robber with a nylon over his face, I thought FIRE HAT was just fine!

BIO>ECO. RATLINE was a vague memory from a forgotten source.
RYA, BOAR, TEMA, UKR (United Kingdom River??), TRACI were pure perps.
Never heard of BJ's except as a restaurant chain here in NM.
I like the ROYAL Pains TV series.
Remembered Amu Darya from the link about "divided sea" just a few days ago.
Did anyone notice "clothes" is the verb form of clothe, and not the plural noun? GARB is one of those words like deer that is its own plural, so GARBS could only be the verb.
[--Ricky & DESI I know, but who are Fred & William? (Fred Flintstone?)--] Cancel that, thanks Lemon. I was thinking Little Ricky, DESI's son, and didn't recall Fred's father or son ever being involved.

Bill G. said...

Good morning everybody. I thought this was harder than usual for me; just about right for a Friday. I loved the clue/answer for Demand upon reaching the other side/KING ME. RATLINE and TEMA were beyond me until the crossing words filled them in. Thanks Jacob and Lemon.

Ol' Man Keith said...

I think that if the LA Times had printed the circles I might have sussed the theme. But without circles I was at a loss.
I appreciate Lemonade's reminder of the secondary meaning of "RENT" in RENT-A-CAR; without that explanation I might still be trying to grasp the connection.
I had 100% with no lookups. Like others I went for NOT NOW before BYE NOW, but otherwise this wasn't too challenging. Easy for a Friday Xwd.

Irish Miss said...

HeartRx @ 10:29 - Thanks for the tema definition. I thought the clue was for a specific opera.

I just checked my newspaper for the puzzle and there were no circles. The IPad version had them, though.

Lemonade714 said...

I am sorry if my "more Italian" explanation for TEMA was insufficient. Hard to decide when to write too much or too little

Argyle said...

The next time we have circles, I will provide a link like this. Any objections?

CrossEyedDave said...

No circles, I managed to get the circle placement from the Blog finished puzzle diagram with out seeing the letters. (I am just gifted like that.)

(No I am not...) I did see sand crab, but was oblivious to the others. So I can't claim to have finished the puzzle unaided.

Split car ALA Mythbusters.

& just plain silly!

Bill G. said...

Argyle, that would be much appreciated by me. If someone doesn't want the information, they can just avoid opening the link. Thanks.

Little kitten working on her pro-wrestling moves

HeartRx said...

Argyle, that is a great idea! I don't know if I would have seen today's theme without the circles.

CED, MythBusters is one show that I really enjoy. I remember watching that episode with the split car, and was sure it would be "busted."

Bill G., loved the wrestling kitten! At least that ceramic cat kinda' looked real. I have a metal garden cat in the solarium that my littlest one keeps hugging and rubbing against whenever she goes by it. Weird.

Irish Miss said...

Bill G - That kitten video is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Lemony, your blogging skills are fine; my knowledge of Italian is practically nil. :-)

Avg Joe said...

The Journal Star didn't have the circles, but it did have an asterisk by the theme clues, so it was easy enough to figure out after the fact how it all worked. Didn't help with the solve, but with the reveal included, it made the gimmick make sense and the cars were easy to spot.

Numerous unknowns that have already been discussed, but all filled in with perps. Had the most difficulty with 37d. Didn't have a clue about a store named BJ's. but HJs was too short and with alleys already filled in, I knew it didn't end in K, so I had to wait for rest of the crosses.

Street dance in a nearby village tonight. Gots to get my party tude on.

Jayce said...

WEES.
Argyle, good idea. No objection from here.
Best wishes.

Unknown said...

I didn't start this puzzle until late this afternoon, and I haven't read the comments yet. I thought this was easy for a Friday puzzle. My only write-over was NOT NOW before BYE NOW.

Some of those people should definitely not be wearing THONGs.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Just got back from the Seattle Waterfront where I had a great CRAB salad on a spectacular day (with no SAND)
-Seeing a BUICK conjures up a certain image to my daughter
-A RUT and a groove may look the same but…
-Did anyone else think of this this Myagi art?
-Which one do you suppose has an IRA?
-Many sports announcers say “The SEAL is broken” after the first score
-If you want to be a vet, there’s no place better than KSU
-Much of sitcom content today is an offshoot of Ricky and Lucy
-DON’T DELAY and if you order now we’ll throw in more crap
-We only ACTED interested in a Tempur-Pedic mattress after we saw the $8,000 price tag
-Does anyone need this much cereal you can get at SAM’S?
-We’re back out the door to see this fabulous display below the Space Needle (scroll though the pix)

Lemonade714 said...

Argyle you are the best

Lucina said...

HGary:
Thank you for the Preview of coming attractions. That is our planned destination next month and the glass museum is definitely on our schedule.

Bill G. said...

A great D-Day story from Sunday Morning.

SwampCat said...

I did it!

Cant remember when I finished a Friday without any cheating whatsoever! N'Awlins Advocate didn't have circles either, but I got all the long fills without them. Just never got the theme till Lemonades explanation.

Thanks Jacob and Lemon...and Owen I really really loved today's offering!

Bill G. said...

Barbara has provided me with two talented brothers-in-law. The first one you've met. He's a country singer/songwriter/retired pediatrician who goes by Dean Dobbins. The other is Robbie who manages and plays with the Magnolia Jazz Band, a mostly dixieland band located in Sunnyvale, California. He's the bass player. He really shines on some old jazz standards where he plays "slap bass," a style where he slaps the strings against the fingerboard giving the bass line a percussive sound.

Fly Me to the Moon

Anonymous said...

Thank you anonymous for the KU/KSU clarification. Important to those of us in the midwest...lol!! Really enjoy this blog!

Irish Miss said...

Bill G @ 8:44 - Your kitty link brought smiles and your D-Day link brought tears. Such is life, eh?

Bill G. said...

Irish Miss, I agree. I'm glad you liked 'em. There is so much drivel on the Internet. It's nice to find something that you can enjoy or get emotionally involved with.

OwenKL said...

Argyle: Great idea of the circle link! Link it on the previous day's blog as early as possible, as well as first thing on the current day's.

Personally, I like the extra challenge of figuring out where the circles should be, but I'm weird like that.