Jeffrey is back with one of his specialties - adding a three letter (or more) word to an existing phrase. In this installment he adds FUN so we all have fun. The first splits into two words, the second splits one word and the third is added to the beginning of the phrase. With the three theme plus reveal JW really crafted a very balanced grid loaded with many new things, sparkly things and well clued fill.
GUN SHOT, INCHING, REPO-MAN, SENSORS, TRAUMAS, ADAM'S RIB, PAID RENT,
EAT TO LIVE and the wonderful IMMENSELY are among my favorites. A puzzle that includes no dreck, just nice fill clued well.
17A. Complain, "Don't I get anything to do around here?"? : DEMAND A FUNCTION (15).
24A. Compensation for an incomplete sundae? : CHERRY REFUND (12). Cherry Red is a color, a record company, a song....
40A. When a restaurant offers its weekly mushroom specials? : FUNGAL FRIDAY (12). No idea about the resulting phrase, but Gal Friday was very popular before we needed to choose our words to not offend, even unintentionally.The reveal:
51A. "It's party time!" ... or a hint to 17-, 24- and 40-Across : LET'S HAVE SOME FUN (15).
1. Asian priests : LAMAS. The one L ones.
6. Miso base : DASHI. If you appreciate Japanese cooking you need to read the LINK.
11. Zodiac critter : RAM. The symbol of the ram for Aries is based on the Chrysomallus, the flying ram that provided the Golden Fleece. (Atsma).
14. Town house, e.g. : ABODE.
15. How gourmands enjoy their food : IMMENSELY. A lovely double entendre that is not sexual.
19. Distressed sort? : DAMSEL.
20. Medium for much body art : HENNA. These TATTOOS are very popular for people visiting Key West.
21. Crop planter : SOWER. Reap what you shall sow.
23. Slants : BIASES.
28. European luxury vehicles : AUDIS.
29. Atari release of 1972 : PONG. Control your excitement.
30. Twaddle : PAP. Two words that are not popular where I live.
33. Rock quarry unit : SLAB. You can buy them DIRECT.
34. River feeder : BROOK.
36. It may involve cold calls : POLL. I am so glad I no longer have a landline.
37. Air-conditioning sound : HUM.
38. Territory east of the Philippines : GUAM. US Territory that is.
39. Dance performed with passion : TANGO.
43. Witless sorts : MORONS. Not always un-pc WORD.
46. Water nymph : NAIAD.
47. Diarist Nin : ANAIS.
48. Heads or tails : PLURAL. Old fashioned puzzle trickery.
56. 2003 best-selling nutritional self-help book : EAT TO LIVE.
57. Raring to go : ANTSY.
58. Furtive : SLY.
59. x, in math : TIMES.
60. Condition : STATE.
1. Any Boy Scout : LAD. Every Boy Scout.
2. Not up : ABED.
3. NYC cultural attraction : MOMA. Museum of Modern Art. A wonderful place.
4. Tracy/Hepburn classic : ADAM'S RIB.
5. Burglar alarm devices : SENSORS.
6. Electronic telemarketing tool : DIALER.
7. Big initials in bowling : AMF. Brunswick and AMF, any comment Boomer?
8. Dallas campus: Abbr. : SMU. Southern Methodist University.
9. Chick magnet? : HEN. This was a cute deception.
11. Jockey controls : REINS.
12. Isolated : ALONE.
13. Birds that may babble : MYNAS.
16. Stand (one) in good __: be useful to : STEAD.
18. Like a meadow in the morning : DEWY.
22. One taking things back? : REPOMAN.
23. Balderdash : BUNK.
24. Fives and tens, say : CASH. Again?
25. Netflix competitor : HULU.
26. Dutch export : EDAM.
27. Rock's __ Fighters : FOO. Very successful SUCCESSOR to Nirvana.
30. 31-Down environment : POND.
31. Bit of 30-Down life : ALGA.
32. Bit of subterfuge : PLOY.
34. Backyard cookout supply : BUNS. For Splynter I found this LINK.
35. Car wash item : RAG.
36. Leased, with "on" : PAID RENT. No idea what the "on" adds to this.
38. Crime drama sound effect : GUNSHOT. The sound alone can cause...
39. Psychological wounds : TRAUMAS.
40. Pass off (on) : FOIST.
41. Runs out : LAPSES.
42. Baklava dough : FILO.
43. Bulls and bucks : MALES. How cool to have a basketball misdirection just before...
44. Retired NBA center : O'NEAL. There are two that I know of. They were even teammates in Boston, when they were no longer stars, I think. Jermaine on the viewer's left, Shaquille on the right.
45. Like shabby old clothes : RATTY. Schmatta.
49. Mennen lotion : AFTA.
50. "... prologue to the history of __ and foul thoughts": Iago : LUST.
"Lechery, by this hand, an index and obscure prologue to the history of lust and foul thoughts." Act II, Scene 1, Othello by a regular visitor to JW puzzles.
52. Ring legend : ALI.
53. Get-up-and-go : VIM. And vigor.
54. Big night : EVE.
55. TV's "Science Guy" : NYE. My favorite SCENE.
Well it was a JW so it must be Friday; I hope you enjoyed his work and the guided tour. Lemonade out.