(Note from C.C.: Lemonade just had a surgery for his severe sciatica pain last Friday. He's now at home recuperating. He already got the post started, so I'll just complete rest. Let's send Lemonade all our healing thoughts and wish him a quick recovery. We need the good old Lemonade back talking about puzzles his way!)
Our new friend Mark McClain delivers a fun comparatively easy Friday. The letters "PE" are removed from common phrases to reveal a new entertaining phrase. What makes the puzzle elegant is the first two relate to bad people and the next two are golf-related. I am not sure I have seen a "remove letters" that was so precise. CAD CRUSADER required perps but that opened the rest. There were few 3/4 letter fill and some glitz with 6/7 fill. I liked TUM TUM, MIRREN, TRISTE, ERRATIC, RETINAS and TRUISMS. He does this all in a nice pinwheel. Well let's get to it.
17A. Insensitive zealot? : CA
56A. Reprobate's regular expense? : SINNER'S RE
10D. Golf course equipment of the future? : FLYING CAR
25D. What many golfers regularly engage in? : THE PA
And the reveal:
66A. Casual refusal ... and, another way, a hint to this puzzle's four longest answers : NOPE. Puzzle falls into place with the correct parsing of this word.
On to the rest.
1. Tablet input : DATA. Your handy i- or Samsung product.
5. Stick (on) : PASTE.
10. Groovy : FAB. Properly cluing this out of use with a passe clue.
13. "The Quiet Man" co-star : O'HARA. Maureen. LINK.
15. Take in, maybe : ALTER. I was thinking duping someone at first.
16. Mauna __ : LOA. 120 feet lower than one of the other volcanoes that are the creation of Hawaii.
19. Wine bottle figs. : YRS. A CSO to our wine peddler Chairman Moe, who can discuss vintages as long as you listen.
(OK, C.C, starts here)
20. Asian capital : HANOI.
21. Where Gauguin painted "Woman With a Flower" : TAHITI.. Here's the painting.
23. Lays to rest : INTERS
26. Eye parts : RETINAS
27. Gung-ho : RAH RAH
28. Concurrent with : DURING
29. Poetic praise : ODE
30. Like Mandarin Chinese, linguistically : TONAL. Mandarin has four tones. So same spelling MA can have four different meanings. In First Tone (Level), MA means "Mother". In Second Tone (Rising), MA means "Hemp" or "Numb". In Third Tone (Falling/Rising), MA means "Horse". In Fourth Tone (Falling), MA means "Scold". This chart has an extra one, but it sounds the same as the First Tone. Dear Jayce knows them all.
32. '80s-'90s slugger Fielder : CECIL. Dad of Prince Fielder.
35. Popular wine region : NAPA
37. Summer Triangle twinkler : DENEB
39. All there : SANE
40. View : SLANT
42. Get rid of : SCRAP
44. Rotation meas. : RPM
45. Downgrade, maybe : RE-RATE.
47. Tot's indigestion area : TUM TUM. We also have 59. Toddler's downtime : NAP.
49. Grows periodically : ACCRUES. As interest.
51. Sad, on the Seine : TRISTE. Je suis triste sans toi.
52. Sweater wool : MOHAIR
53. Rodeo critter : STEER.
55. Item under a top : BRA
61. Funny pair? : ENS. Letters in Funny.
62. Like Mexico's Pyramid of the Magician : MAYAN
63. Part of UTEP : TEXAS
64. Whiskey option : RYE
65. Rested : SLEPT. How many hours of sleep do you get daily?
1. Bashful comrade? : DOC. Seven Dwarfs. Comrade always makes me think of China & Russia. That's how my Dad and his colleagues addressed one another.
2. "I thought so!" : AHA.
3. 1860s White House boy : TAD. Lincoln's son.
4. Tell, memorably : ARCHER. William Tell.
5. Part of UTEP : PASO.
6. Fronton game word : ALAI. Jai alai court is called "Fronton".
7. Kind of deviation: Abbr. : STD
8. Wobble : TEETER
9. Unpredictable : ERRATIC
11. Big artery : AORTA
12. Rationale : BASIS. Rationale is a favorite word of my old boss.
18. Like wild horses : UNSHOD
22. Duncan of baking fame : HINES. Wow. Never heard of it. I never bake cakes.
23. Shackles : IRONS
24. Clay-court legend : NADAL. "The King of Clay"
26. Yardstick : RULER
28. Reel, for one : DANCE. Hi there Yellowrocks!
31. Fledgling launching spots : NESTS. This clue made me smile.
33. Feedback : INPUT
34. "I wanna try!" : LEMME.
36. End of __ : AN ERA.
38. Frying preparation : BATTER. Hmm, tempura.
41. Self-evident actualities : TRUISMS
43. Least spoiled : PUREST
46. Ham's accessory : AERIAL
48. "The Queen" (2006) star : MIRREN (Helen). Amazing actress.
49. Color in "America the Beautiful" : AMBER. "For amber waves of grain..". I got via crosses.
50. Like many bar jokes : CORNY
53. Blow a fuse : SNAP
54. Canvas shelter : TENT
57. Actress Carrie who was married to Dick Cavett : NYE. Stranger to me.
58. Skeletal opening? : EXO. Exoskeletal.
60. Japanese market letters : TSE. Tokyo Stock Exchange. Nikkei Index.
Lemonade & C.C.