16. Area behind velvet ropes, often: VIP SECTION.
60. Former "SNL" regular known for Sinatra impressions: JOE PISCOPO.
10. Commercial rental property: OFFICE SPACE.
24. Beverage-named Denver arena: PEPSI CENTER.
And the reveal:
35. Curry powder, e.g. ... and what each set of puzzle circles contains: SPICE MIX.
C.C. mixes in some spice to season this sumptuous repast.
I was puzzled at the top because I typed in VIP SEaTIng on the across run. Everything was going swimmingly on the down run until I got to 7 and 8 down.
1. Condition before a storm: CALM.
5. Secure at the pier: LASH.
9. Swamp croaker: TOAD.
13. Hand lotion ingredient: ALOE.
14. Triangular Greek letter: DELTA.
15. Jackson 5 hairdo: AFRO.
18. Sci-fi hoverers: UFOs.
19. Cul-de-__: SAC.
20. Completes a sentence?: DOES TIME.
22. Cholesterol-inhibiting drug: LIPITOR. Atorvastatin.
26. Smokey Bear TV ad, e.g.: PSA. Here's a collection of them:
27. Scoundrel: CAD.
28. Sports drink suffix: ADE.
29. Stockpile: AMASS.
31. JFK's predecessor: DDE.
33. Favoring relatives in hiring: NEPOTISM. How Stuff Works: Nepotism
35. Richter scale event: SEISM. Seism; A shaking of the Earth's surface; an earthquake or tremor. - Wiktionary. Jayce's arena. Here's some reading about Richter scale from How Stuff Works.
37. Pinch in a recipe: DASH.
38. Tourney winner: CHAMP.
40. Rotisserie rod: SPIT.
42. Pride members: LIONS. Matt Patricia is the new head coach of the Detroit Lions.
44. Baggage claim bag: SUITCASE.
46. John of "Star Trek" (2009): CHO.
47. Word of choice: WHICH.
48. So-so grade: CEE.
49. Tribute in verse: ODE. The first ode I heard was to Billie Joe:
51. Yellowfin tuna: AHI.
53. Book buyers: READERS. Or non-prescription reading glasses. Wilbur uses those for reading the blog. I have 20-40 vision with my glasses on. New glasses should be here soon. Hopefully, less blurry vision and fewer headaches will ensue.
55. Not-so-subtle verbal nudge: HINT HINT.
58. "O Sole __": MIO.
59. Relaxing soak, or a financial soaking: BATH.
65. Draft classification: ONE A. 1-A. Selective Service Classifications
66. Building extension: ANNEX.
67. Be acquainted with: KNOW.
68. Knitter's purchase: YARN. Madame Defarge enjoys knitting, as did my MIL.
69. Rock group: BAND. Was going to link their Rock and Roll Band song, but this 1990 international hit would be the most famous song of this German rock group that started plying their trade at the height of Beatlemania. The video has 574M views.
70. Planted, as seed: SOWN.
1. Cleveland NBAer: CAV. The Cavaliers. The star player of the Cavs is LeBron James. Marc Stein of the NY Times wrote of LeBron James, "Just don’t forget that it’s James’s unwavering brilliance, above all, that convinced the Warriors — after a 73-win season in 2015-16 — that they had to do anything they could to add (Kevin) Durant to Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala to ensure they could beat this one guy."
2. "Moonlight" Oscar winner Mahershala __: ALI.
3. Chop off: LOP.
4. Argentine soccer superstar Lionel: MESSI. Star forward playing for FC Barcelona.
5. Net judge's call: LET.
6. "Put __ on it!": A LID.
7. Hunches over: STOOPS.
8. Underwear brand: HANES.
9. Tightly drawn: TAUT.
11. Candle shop allure: AROMA. This place sells over 1200 candles scents and fragrances if you are into making your own. This household has enough scented candles. They seem to multiply like Tribbles.
12. Provided with medicine: DOSED.
14. "Wonder Woman" publisher: DC COMICS.
17. Bother a lot: EAT AT.
21. Marquis de __: SADE. Who Was the Marquis de Sade?
22. Arrive onshore: LAND.
23. Perfect example: IDEAL.
25. Reckless: RASH.
30. Roaring success: SMASH.
32. Blu-ray buy: DISC.
34. "Looks like trouble!": OH OH. Mercy, look what just walked through that door.
36. Unlikely GoFundMe donor: MISER.
39. "ABC World News Tonight" anchor David: MUIR. David Muir, Lester Holt and Jeff Glor.
41. Casual shirts: TEES.
43. Ark builder: NOAH.
45. Bangkok natives: THAIs.
47. Ryder of "Edward Scissorhands": WINONA. Winona Ryder starred opposite Johnny Depp.
49. "Yippee!": OH BOY.
50. Mythical hunter: DIANA. In Roman Mythology. More here.
52. Muslim woman's headscarf: HIJAB.
54. Comes to port: DOCKS.
56. Larger __ life: THAN.
57. Ky. neighbor: TENN. Speaking of getting to know you:
61. One on foot, in signs: PED.
62. Musician Yoko: ONO.
63. "Kaboom!": POW.
64. Part of MYOB: OWN. Mind Your Own Business. Alternatively - for those with teenagers - Make Your Own Bed.