17. Gym bar addition: WEIGHT PLATE. WEIGHT LOSS
24. Fairness principle for bandwidth providers: NET NEUTRALITY. NET LOSS
36. Judicial fact finder: HEARING EXAMINER. HEARING LOSS
48. What a crossword clue typically starts with: CAPITAL LETTER. CAPITAL LOSS
58. Retail come-ons ... and what the starts of the longest Across answers can be?: LOSS LEADERS.
1. Plunk down in front of, as a counter: SIT AT.
6. 1-BR listings: APTs. Abbr # 1 Apartments
10. Ph.D. wannabe's obstacle: GRE. #2 Graduate Readiness Exam
13. Heart chambers: ATRIA.
14. Blue Ribbon beer: PABST. Johnny Russell had a Hot Country Single in 1973 with Rednecks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer
He also wrote Act Naturally that Husker Gary linked last Saturday, as sung by Ringo and Buck Owens. He was co-writer on George Strait's 1984 #1 Hot Country single Let's Fall to Pieces Together
16. Short flight: HOP.
19. In days of yore: AGO.
20. Opposite of SSW: NNE. #3 North, Northeast
21. Seat of Allen County, Kansas: IOLA.
22. Pricey watch: ROLEX.
28. Dodos: NINNIES.
30. Lumber: WOOD. Pittsburgh's "Lumber Company" of the '70s "They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball and I try to hit it square,” Stargell said.
31. "__ Baby": "Hair" song: ABIE.
32. Genie's offering: WISH.
33. Hoppy beer, for short: IPA. # 4 India Pale Ale
41. Mo. port on the Miss.: STL. # 5 St. Louis
42. Mark Harmon TV series: NCIS. # 6 Naval Criminal Investigative Service
43. "Now!" in the ER: STAT. #7 Statim (Latin immediately)
44. Ruler until 1917: TSAR. Nicholas II
45. iPad and Kindle Fire: TABLETS.
52. "I didn't expect to see you here": OH HEY.
53. Out of the wind: ALEE.
54. Itinerary word: VIA.
57. Habitat of many schools: SEA. "In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are said to be shoaling, and if, in addition, the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are said to be schooling." Wikipedia
62. "Live __": Taco Bell slogan: MAS.
63. Take off the TiVo: ERASE.
64. Lustrous furs: MINKS. Free shipping and no tax.
65. Poetic tribute: ODE.
66. Mannerless one: BOOR.
67. Behold, of old: SEEST.
1. Like lumber: SAWN.
2. Southern coast-to-coast hwy.: I-TEN. #8 Interstate 10
3. Occurring every third year: TRIENNIAL.
4. 2008 bailout co.: AIG. # 9 American International Group
5. South Pacific getaway: TAHITI.
6. Orchard fruit: APPLES.
7. Micronesian setting for the 10th season of "Survivor": PALAU.
8. Letters in an incomplete schedule: TBA. # 11 To Be Announced
9. Retired flier, briefly: SST. #12 Super Sonic Transport
10. Ex-U.N. head Boutros-__: GHALI. We always heard, "Boutros Boutros-Ghali" on the TV.
11. Thesaurus compiler: ROGET.
12. Hobbyist's glue: EPOXY.
15. Resistance unit equal to one trillion of the basic units: TERAOHM. Why would anyone need these extreme values? My Fluke meter won't measure to a trillion ohms of resistance. Jayce ?
18. Musical quality: TONE.
23. Yellowstone's __ Faithful: OLD
25. Cabinet dept. concerned with nukes: ENER. #13 Energy
26. Candy from Mars: TWIX. Cute clue.
27. Rights icon Parks: ROSA.
28. Casual denials: NAHs.
29. "Su-r-r-r-re": I BET.
32. "Rushmore" director Anderson: WES. "This cult favorite is a quirky coming of age story, with fine, off-kilter performances from Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray." - Rotten Tomatoes. Wes Anderson: American film director, film producer, screenwriter, and actor. Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom.
33. Play peacemaker: INTERVENE. People who have contributed to peace.
34. Bog fuel: PEAT.
35. "Fine" studies: ARTS.
37. Current, as fashion: IN STYLE. Had in vogue. I guess vogue is outta style.
38. Frozen Four org.: NCAA. # 14 National Collegiate Athletic Association. Frozen Four is the branding for the NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship. Minnesota Duluth is the most recent champion.
39. Lass: GIRL.
40. 5-Down or 7-Down: ISLE.
44. Deadlock: TIE.
45. Penn's silent partner: TELLER.
46. Perfectly, with "to": A TEE.
47. Backup squads: B TEAMS.
48. Pink drink, for short: COSMO. #15 Cosmopolitan
49. On the horizon: AHEAD.
50. Temporary stage: PHASE.
51. Catcher at a rodeo: LASSO.
55. Really gets to: IRKS.
56. Certain prof.'s designation: ASST. #16 Assistant
59. Poetic planet: ORB.
60. __ Paulo, Brazil: SAO. The most populous city in the Americas (NY 4th, LA 8th, CHI 14th), and the most populous metropolitan area of the Americas (NY 3rd, LA 5th, CHI 8th). Sao Paulo -Wikipedia
61. Yahtzee cube: DIE.
Note from C.C.:
Happy 62nd birthday to dear TTP (Tom), our Tuesday Sherpa since March 20, 2018, though he's been always there helping me solve various blog and life glitches.
Madame DeFarge, I sure hope you can make the Chicago Corner Gathering happen. You've met Abejo, who met TTP for beer a few years ago. We need to "see" TTP.