google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday September 29, 2019 Paul Coulter

Advertisements

Sep 29, 2019

Sunday September 29, 2019 Paul Coulter

Theme: "Where It's At" - Two-part theme. One part is the literal interpretation of its position with regard to the other part.
 
22. Ahead of time ... and where it's at: BEFOREHAND. This answer comes ahead of the hand in 24A.

24. It includes a king and queen: ROYAL FLUSH.

44. On the up and up ... and where it's at: ABOVEBOARD. Above 52A.

52. Food squares?: MEALS.
 
50. Bout enders, for short: KOS.

53. In a ship's hull ... and where it's at: BELOW DECKS. Under 50A.
 
88. More than flamboyant ... and where it's at: OVER THE TOP. Over 93A.

93. Casual shirt: TEE.

92. Red __: SEA.

95. Mortgaged to the hilt and then some ... and where it's at: UNDERWATER. Under 92A.
 
118. Final football score including at least one safety: NINE TO FIVE. Ahead of 121A.

121. Subsequent to the normal closing time ... and where it's at: AFTER HOURS.

Another creative effort from Paul Coulter. Like the "Greek Cross" we had a few weeks ago. This grid is also very challenging to fill. Tremendous restrictions. 

Across:

1. Bite: TANG.

5. Arabic for "commander": EMIR.

9. Exam administered by the College Board, briefly: PSAT.

13. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame architect: I M PEI. Born in Guangzhou. He also designed the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong. 

18. Burn balm: ALOE.

19. "Mostly Ghostly" series author: STINE.


20. Charity: ALMS.

21. High times?: NOONS.

26. Regards intensely: STARES AT. And 31. Bedevil: NAG AT.

27. Like the White Rabbit: LATE.

29. About to explode: IRATE.

30. Cherbourg cherub: ANGE. Angel. Another alliteration: 118. Nancy, in Nancy: NOM.

33. Speak colorfully, so to speak: SWEAR. Ah, colorfully.

35. Rescue op: EVAC.

37. Not for: ANTI.

39. MileagePlus rewards co.: UAL.

40. Puts in stitches: SEWS.

48. Chutney fruit: MANGO. Never had this. Probably a fixer at Steve's house.


51. Lenient: LAX.

56. West Point newbie: PLEBE.

59. Rapa __: NUI.

60. Japanese beer brand: KIRIN. Same letter count as ASAHI.

61. Native Nebraskan: OTOE.

62. Atlanta suburb: SMYRNA. I learned that Julia Roberts went to Smyrna's Campbell High School.

64. Complain: CRAB.

66. Itsy-bitsy: TEENY.

68. Frisk: SEARCH.

70. "... __ he drove out of sight": Moore: ERE.

71. Compass points: RHUMBS. New word to me.

74. Bank: CAROM.

76. Strong-voiced Mama: CASS.

78. Bends: STOOPS.

80. The Miners of the Lone Star St.: UTEP.

82. Add: PUTIN.

84. Blackguard: CAD. Wiki says "Blackguard" is an old-fashioned term for a scoundrel.

87. Nab in a trap: SNARE.

90. Artist Matisse: HENRI. He's wearing Matisse's work. "Blue Nude".



94. Adult: OF AGE.

98. Highland toppers: TAMS.

100. Away from the office: OUT.

101. "__ here": SAME.

103. Burpee product: SEED.

104. Big dipper: LADLE.

106. Areas for religious statues: APSES.

108. Former WNBA star __ Leslie: LISA. First one to dunk in WNBA.

111. José's "good": BUENO.


113. Speedy steed: ARAB.

115. Zone that may be restricted: AIRSPACE.

123. Martini garnish: OLIVE.

124. Each: APOP.

125. Salad green: CRESS.

126. Notices: SEES.

127. Doled (out): METED.

128. Puts the kibosh on: BANS.

129. "Categorical imperative" philosopher: KANT.

130. Scots Gaelic: ERSE.

Down:

1. Checks with tax, usually: TABS.

2. Prince Valiant's wife: ALETA. Mom of another crossword regular ARN.

3. Hardly in favor (of): NO FAN.

4. Paternal grandfather of Elizabeth II: GEORGE V.

5. 2007 Best Director Oscar sharer: ETHAN COEN. With Joel Coen. "No Country for Old Men".


6. Mazda model: MIATA.

7. B&B, e.g.: INN.

8. City near San Bernardino: REDLANDS.Also learning moment for me.


9. Actor's goal: PART.

10. Gin flavor: SLOE.

11. One of Alcott's "Little Women": AMY.

12. Org. with a lot of baggage?: TSA. I like this clue also.

13. Prefix with red: INFRA.

14. Back biters: MOLARS.

15. Displeased look: POUT.

16. Massachusetts motto opener: ENSE. "Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" . What a mouthful.

17. Book end?: ISH. Bookish.

19. French possessive: SES.

23. Christopher of "Superman": REEVE.

25. Hide out: LIE LOW.

28. ABA member: ATT.

32. Aioli ingredient: GARLIC. My brother just told me how to make the perfect spinach salad. The key is this Zhenjiang Vinegar.


33. Naturally illuminated: SUNLIT.

34. Conestoga driver: WAGONER.

36. 1972 USA-USSR treaty subj.: ABM.

38. Drinks: IMBIBES.

41. Big name in kitchenware: EKCO. I don't think we own any of their product.

42. Active against racial injustice, in slang: WOKE. Stay woke.

43. Sautéing sound: SSS.

44. "The Sound of Music" backdrop: ALPS.

45. Salves: BALMS.

46. Daisy variety: OXEYE.

47. Sullivan Award sports org.: AAU. Amateur Athletic Union. Sullivan Award is awarded to "the most outstanding amateur athlete in the United States" every year, a la Wiki.

49. __ Lingus: AER.

54. Breakfast sinkers: DONUTS.

55. Linguistic root: ETYMON.

57. Pick-me-up: BRACER.

58. Absorbed: ENRAPT.

60. Part of DKNY: KARAN.

63. Spanning: Abbr.: ACR. Across.

65. Chef's creations: RECIPES. My friend Carmen and her husband Lao Pan are terrific chefs.  The girl in red is Lao Pan's daughter Xiao Pan, who was just a little girl when I left Guangzhou. If you look closely, both Xiao Pan and Carmen are wearing a jade bracelet. Girls in Guangzhou like to wear jade bracelets or jade necklaces.


67. "Come again?" sounds: EHS.

69. Auditioning actor, say: HOPEFUL.

72. Sing one's own praises: BOAST.

73. Bender: SPREE.

75. Change genetically: MUTATE.

77. Clips for trailers: SCENES. Movie trailers.

79. Lightly burn: SEAR.

80. Eye layer: UVEA.

81. Abound (with): TEEM.

83. Dude (up): TOG.

85. Connector of partners: AND.

86. Most formal, fashion-wise: DRESSIEST.

88. Giant whose #4 was retired: OTT.

89. Jinx: HOODOO.

90. Large whale: HUMPBACK.

91. Steamed state: IRE.

96. From Swansea, say: WELSH.

97. Fatty: ADIPOSE.

99. Short one seen more in warm weather: SLEEVE. Cute clue angle. Long-sleeve shirt weather here in MN.

102. Battery size: AAA.

105. Started the pot: ANTED.

107. Consumed: EATEN.

109. Acidic, in Augsburg: SAUER. Sour.

110. Farm measures: ACRES.

111. Irascibility: BILE.

112. Condo, e.g.: UNIT.

113. HarperCollins romance imprint: AVON.

114. Gym set: REPS.

116. Monopoly foursome: Abbr.: RRS.

117. To be, to Brutus: ESSE.

119. Terrif: FAB.

120. Draft pick: IPA.

122. Monk's title: FRA.

C.C.


26 comments:

OwenKL said...

A new word to me [and also to spell-check]:
rhumb -- noun (Nautical)
1. an imaginary line on the earth's surface cutting all meridians at the same angle, used as the standard method of plotting a ship's course on a chart.
2. any of the 32 points of the compass.

Stars shine in the sky LISA STARES AT,
When she's OF AGE she'll shine back.
Study rocketry,
And astronomy,
Call E.T.'s by launching STAR E-SAT!

SEARCH the skies for the CRAB Nebula
Notice it looks quite peculia'
Beyond INFRA-RED
Radiation it'll shed
From a pulsar spinning very regula'!

{A, A.}

Paul C. said...

Thanks, C.C. and Owen. C.C. is right, the theme's constraints made this difficult to fill in solver-friendly fashion. The working title was "Advance Placement Test," then later I suggested "Take a Position," but I prefer Rich's "Where It's At" and how he echoed this in the theme clues. Constructors often grumble about editors, but Rich made this a much better puzzle than the original submission. His very useful suggestions made it change a lot, and hopefully, made it a much more enjoyable solving experience. By the way, I originally referenced the Dolly Parton movie in my clue for NINETOFIVE, but Rich correctly changed this, since the title's really 9 to 5.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

I "sensed" something was going on with the directions before I figured out the theme. Clever, Paul. "Blackguard" is one of those words that's not pronounced the way you'd expect. Went wrong in a couple of spots, trying MOUE (POUT) and REPASTS (RECIPES). Got 'er done, though. Thanx, Paul and C.C.

I M PEI -- U R NOT

SWEAR -- Politics is the usual impetus for "colorful" language chez d-o.

EKCO -- Not sure I've ever seen it. I like Oxo.

SAUER -- This appeared as sauerkraut or sauerbraten in my ute.

DRESSIEST -- My newest pair of jeans -- my Sunday best.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, C.C. and friends. Interesting theme. I caught the theme early on with the ROYAL FLUSH and BEFORE HAND duo, which made it easier for some of the other pairs.

I learned the Put the Kibosh On is not Ends but BANS.

Lots of fun clue, including:
High times = NOONS
Back Biters = MOLARS

RHUMBS is new to me as well.

QOD: A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about. ~ Miguel de Umanumo (Sept. 29, 1864 ~ Dec. 31, 1936), Spanish author and essayist

Big Easy said...

C.C., thanks for the explanation. And hello PAUL. I finished but didn't pay attention to any theme since none of the circled fills seemed related. The puzzle was tough to finish. I can appreciate Coulter's complex construction but unless you get the gist of it early it doesn't help. Hahtoolah saw it; I didn't notice.

My WAG of RIO LINDA instead of of REDLANDS didn't help in the NW but scrambling to fill unknowns ALETA, STINE, GEORGE V, ETHAN COEN, & ANGE took longer to complete than the rest of the puzzle.

And then there was the WAGONER-RHUMBS-ETYMON section. Jeep has a WagoneEr, not a wagoner. RHUMB is a new word to me also. Just didn't look right but I left it because nothing else made sense.

CSO to Jinx today. LISA Leslie, SMYRNA, & WOKE were other unknowns filled by perps.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I completed this puzzle last night (37:08) but was too tired to figure out the relationship of the circles to the theme answers. A two second scan this morning, with fresh, not sleepy eyes, solved the mystery. (I must have been really tired because it was as plain to see as the nose on my face.) My admiration for the cleverness and execution of this feat skyrocketed. Bravo, Paul. Perps were needed for Nui, Rhumbs, Lisa, AAU, Adipose, Redlands, Kirin, and Hoodoo. (Hi, Jinx!) I found BB misleading without "And" and put in Int, for initial, and I stayed with Sign here for much too long before Same here forced the correction. I liked seeing both Balms and Aloe in the grid. I misspelled Ekco as Ecko and my Modify morphed into Mutate.

My favorite C/A was Back Biters=Molars, and I also enjoyed seeing Miata, as that brings back fond memories of Lawrence Sander's Bon vivant amateur sleuth, Archy Mc Nally, who drove a red Miata, drank Maker's Mark, and sported clothes that turned heads, usually female! (I believe Lemony was an Archie fan, also.) Mama Cass made another appearance and seeing the Coen brothers reminds me of France Mcdormand's Oscar-winning winning performance in "Fargo", as she is married to one of the brothers.

Thanks, Paul, for an outstanding Sunday solve and for sharing some background info on this project, especially Rich's input and thanks, CC, for your always informative and chatty expo.

Welcome back, Hatoolah, we've missed your comments and blogging, although Boomer kept us entertained and informed. Hope you had a relaxing and enjoyable trip.

Have a great day.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased cadet for PLEBE, role for PART, moi for SES, sky for SUN, ekko for EKCO, brags for BOAST, welch for WELSH, and et tu for ESSE.

Jinx and WOKE in the same puzzle? As the immortal Joe Biden said, "well, son of a bitch!"

Sailboat racing strategy includes consideration of the RHUMB line. It represents the shortest distance, but ignores factors such as currents and geographical factors than can affect wind speed and direction. Great circle routes are examples of RHUMB lines.

Two of my photographs have been published in a national magazine. One was a business sign near the LA airport declaring itself to be the LAX Medical Clinic. (The other was for a service station off I-15 between Baker, CA and Las Vegas named Pass Gas.) I got my subscription to National Lampoon extended by a year for each publication.

For "auditioning actor" I wanted WAITER, but it didn't fit.

Some of my ancestors were named WAGgONER. Probably misspelled at Ellis Island back in the day. Poor spelling in my family line? Say it isn't so!

Anyone buy Ms. Monopoly yet? I'm so glad this game finally became WOKE. Women get $240 for passing go, men get $200. About time someone offsets the obvious advantage men have in that game!

Somebody wake up Mueller! PUTIN is in the crossword today!

Thanks to Paul for the fun puzzle. My favorites were "back biters", and "Nancy in Nancy". And thanks to CC for another fun tour. I love all kinds of vinegar, and will look for that one.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Wow, cleverness everywhere. BELOW DECKS/KOS was a fav for this native Nebraskan
-An EVAC worker drowned near here this spring trying to rescue some who did not leave when told to leave a flooded area
-Being LAX on the first day of teaching is a recipe for disaster
-RHUMBS was good learning for this amateur astronomer
-Blaggard vs Blackguard
-Away from the office – Don’t ever get sick or injured on a weekend!
-SEED – If it quits raining today, I’m going to plant some radishes
-Three worthless things for a pilot – AIR SPACE above you, runway behind you, fuel still on the truck
-Among other things, the von Trapps did not cross the ALPS
-Great seeing the comments, Paul, and welcome back Susan!

Yellowrocks said...

FIR, easily. Ah, redemption from my Saturday fail. Everything I wrote yesterday was correct, but I gave up with much white remaining. I think I am psyched out on Saturdays.
Very clever theme, which I missed. After thinking about it for a while, I appreciate it more and more.
Wagoner and wagoneer are both correct spellings, as far as I can see. It could be that wagoner is becoming obsolete and wagorneer is more widely used.
We have a square dancer named Aleta.
I find it interesting that frisky, as lively, and frisk, as stop and frisk, seem to come from the same roots.
I like Kirin with Japanese sushi.
Swearing is using colorful language and swearing is off color. Hmm.
I often look up plays, like Sound of Music to see how they match with the real subject. HG, thanks, nice to see that review again.
Lisa and rhumbs were new to me. Now that I see hoodoo, I recognize it from seeing it before.
Blaggard is closer to the actual pronunciation of blackguard, but this is the first time I have seen it in print.
Alan is waiting is waiting patiently (kinda) for me, so I must go.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Thank you, Paul! I found this quite easy today with a few chuckles, too.

I got really excited at seeing REDLANDS! That's where I'll be next Sunday for the annual cancer walk! It's next door to both San Bernardino and Highland where my sister lives and a five hour drive from here.

RHUMBS was definitely new for me. Rapa NUI occurs in CWDS enough to become familiar.

TEE. My brother, whose birthday we celebrated yesterday, schooled me on "Tucson tuxedo" which consists of a TEE shirt and jeans. Maybe d-otto knew that.

Oops. Time to go. I mistakenly had ECCO instead of EKCO and could not recall KOS! My late DH would be so IRATE with me.

Thank you, C.C. I really enjoy your perspective and liked the photo of your friends.

Have a FABulous day, everyone!

Alice said...

I'm in awe of all of you who finished quickly. Etymon, adipose, hoodoo -- never heard of these and perps helped only a little. The clue for 18 across "burn balm" would seem to exclude 45 down being "balms". Hard puzzle, but then that's what makes them fun!

Misty said...

Fun Sunday puzzle, and thanks for stopping by, Paul, and giving us Rich's input. I was pretty daunted at first, but, as usually happens with Sunday puzzles, the bottom filled in readily and I than worked my way to the top. My favorite clues were 'back biters' for MOLARS and NOM for Nancy to Nancy--had to laugh when I got the solution for both of these. Some unknowns included NUI, KIRIN, RHUMBS, and EXCO. And what is DNRY? Nice to see MATISSE and KANT in the puzzle. How is Christoper REEVES doing? Didn't he get a serious injury that confined him to a wheelchair? Great Sunday write-up, C.C., and what a sweet family picture!

Thanks for looking up the RHUMB definition, Owen.

Have a lovely day, everybody.

desper-otto said...

Oh, Misty, where have you been? Christopher Reeve died back in '04. I'm pretty sure DKNY stands for Donna Karan New York -- fashion designer.

Abejo said...

Good afternoon, folks. Thank you, Paul Coulter, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, C.C., for a fine review.

Got through most of the puzzle quickly. Caught the theme answers but did not get the circles until I finished and then really looked at it. Very clever.

As others said, RHUMBS was a new word for me. I had to stick with WAGONER because it was obviously correct. After I finished I looked up RHUMB in the dictionary. The definition is correct. Now if I can only remember that.

I thought a PLEBE was an ANNAPOLIS newbie, but I guess it applies to West Point as well. Maybe the Air Force Academy too.

Liked CAROM for 74A. Clever.

Tried VOODOO before HOODOO world much better.

Been to REDLANDS, CA.

GEORGE V was easy. My wife and I just saw the movie DOWNTON ABBEY. The movie was outstanding and George V was in it.

Hahtoolah, welcome back. Enjoyed your photos. The Bears/Vikings game starts in an hour or so. I plan on watching it. Too wet and cold to do anything outside.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Misty, Christoper REEVE dies in 2004. He was paralyzed in 1995 when he fell off a horse.

Alice said...

Misty, there was KO'S for knock-outs at 50 across making 41 down EKCO which I assume is a "big name in kitchenware".

OwenKL said...

d-o -- thanks for the heads-up on pronouncing blaggard. I never realized it, so looked it up. I guess I'm only familiar with reading it, and never actually heard it before!

Aren't IRE and IRATE related words?

Lucina said...

The puzzle itself was a quick job for me but the theme still seems obscure.

TANG is also the name of a prominent Chinese-American family here.

My fourth graders loved STINE's books, the scarier the better.

Abejo says it's "too cold" there! I forget about temperature in the northern parts of the country that experience actual fall.

RHUMBS and ADIPOSE are neat words to say.



Big Easy said...

Having excess ADIPOSE tissue is the polite way of saying somebody's TOO FAT. Usually associated with somebody's gut hanging over their belt. Way too many pizzas and beers to wash it down.

Irish Miss said...

Unless I've missed something, PK hasn't posted a while. I hope she is just busy or preoccupied.

Jayce said...

I loved this puzzle and am impressed with the construction of the theme. Some smile-inducing cluing and some nifty fill words. Man oh man, good stuff.

Thought of Lucina immediately when I got REDLANDS.

Interesting that Lao Pan's daughter is named Xiao Pan.

"No Country for Old Men" was a very weird movie.

Owen, good verses. Thank you.

Jinx, congratulations on the photographs.

Good thoughts going out to you all.

CanadianEh! said...

Super Sunday. Thanks for the fun, Paul and C.C.
I'm late to the party so pretty much WEES.
I got all the "where it's at" theme answers but totally missed the circles (and I had them on Across Lite), and thus missed the second part. Very clever . . . Nobody has commented on the beautiful symmetry with OVER and UNDER, then ABOVE and BELOW, with BEFORE and AFTER wrapping around it at the top and bottom. I am in awe of the construction!

I'm glad that nobody gave me a CSO with EHS since that definition ("Come again" sounds) is probably one of the very minor Canadian uses of EH. You regular Cornerites must be getting wise to our Canadian ways, eh!

Lucina, I LOLed at your "it's too cold" comment. At least our area was spared the snow/blizzard that Calgary received today. Our leaves are just thinking about changing colour.

Enjoy what is left of this day.

Misty said...

Thank you, everybody--Jinx and Desper-otto for reminding me that we lost Christopher Reeves in 2004 already, and Desper-otto for explaining DKNY to me. Also, Alice, thanks for telling me about EXCO. I appreciate all this information.

Wilbur Charles said...

Wow, it wasn't until I read Misty's comment that Nancy wasn't the comic strip but the French city.

When I mentioned the newly popular word WOKE the other day did it help.
Or, Owen are you listening? , was it merely prescience?

Or, does Rich religiously read my posts and clue accordingly.

The R for WAGONER looked right but RHUMBS didn't so I went with (Compass) THUMBS. FIW.

I actually inked DURAN for the D in DKNY thinking it was a rock group.

Speaking of SSS.. does anybody still register?

WC

I've been running around all day. I think I start the xword about the same time the Saints clinched their victory over the Cowboys.

Dgt said...

Would someone explain circled answers?

CanadianEh! said...

Dgt- C.C sort of explained it but I will enlarge; it took me a while for the light to dawn too.

BEFORE HAND is before the circled ROYAL FLUSH which is a hand in cards.
ABOVE BOARD is above the circled MEALS which is something you get as part of your room and board.
BELOW DECKS is below the circled TKOS which is when the fighter is knocked to the deck.
OVER THE TOP is over TSHIRT which is a top.
UNDER WATER is under SEA.
AFTER HOURS is after NINE TO FIVE.

Hope this helps. Brilliant construction . . and as I commented, beautiful symmetry when you look at the grid.