Theme: Smudge - What you may have had if you solved these rhymes using paper and pen.
17A. Tennis court official : LINE JUDGE
24A. Harbor long-term resentment : NURSE A GRUDGE
51A. Creamy confection : VANILLA FUDGE
64A. "Stay put!" : "DON'T BUDGE!"
11D. Political commentator with an Internet "Report" : MATT DRUDGE
29D. Push gently : GIVE A NUDGE
Argyle here. I can hardly wait to see what Owen does with this one. At first I thought, "Is that all there is, entries that end in a rhyme" but really, six entries with two crossings on a Monday! What more can I want?
1. Insect stage : LARVA
6. Sink down in the middle : SAG
9. Heavy haulers : SEMIs
14. Not quite spherical : OVOID
15. Single : ONE
16. Mild-mannered reporter Kent : CLARK
19. Overzealous type : ULTRA
20. Point after deuce : AD IN. Tennis.
21. More narcissistic : VAINER
23. Asian New Year : TET
27. Portuguese explorer Vasco : da GAMA. More.
30. Open court hearing, in law : OYER. (oyer and terminer)
31. News org. : UPI. (United Press International)
32. Construction zone cones : PYLONS
36. Earth-orbiting Gagarin : YURI. First human to make an orbital space flight (1961).
39. Birds that symbolize peace : DOVES
41. Right, vis-à-vis left: Abbr. : OPP.osite
42. Early PC interface : MS DOS
43. Glasses, in ads : SPEX. Adspeak.
44. More than mono : STEREO
46. Workout facility : GYM
47. Water, in Juárez : AGUA
49. Amazingly enough : NO LESS
56. End of a prof's URL : .EDU
57. Type of vegetable oil : CANOLA
58. Yucky muck : GOOP
62. Soup scoop : LADLE. Cute clue.
66. Partner of vim : VIGOR
67. Seventh Greek letter : ETA. (zeta, eta, theta)
68. Love, to Luciano : AMORE. Italian
69. Length-times-width calculations : AREAs
70. Opposite of NNW : SSE
71. Yankee shortstop Jeter who announced he will retire at the end of 2014 : DEREK
1. Whatever she wants, she gets : LOLA. "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets". From the 1955 musical, "Damn Yankees".
2. Zealous : AVID
3. Rice-A-__ : RONI
4. Capital of Austria : VIENNA
5. Wd. modifying a noun : ADJ.
6. Dr Pepper and Dr. Brown's : SODAs
7. 1973 Rolling Stones ballad : "ANGIE"
8. Davis of "A League of Their Own" : GEENA. Story of a female professional baseball league. (1992) Geena played the part of Dottie Hinson, their catcher.
9. Move like a squirrel : SCURRY
10. Right-angle bend : ELL
12. Discount rack abbr. : IRREG.
13. Glide on ice : SKATE
18. Sunlamp danger, briefly : UV RAY
22. Narcissists have big ones : EGOs
25. Men pocketing baseballs : UMPs
26. Sometimes-illegal turns, for short : UEYs. Aussie slang version.
27. Fizzling firecrackers : DUDs
28. Each : A POP
33. Valet's purview : LOT. The parking valet, not the gentleman's personal valet.
34. Not shut, poetically : OPE
35. "All Things Considered" airer : NPR. Formerly National Public Radio, changed to just NPR, 2010.
37. Rogers and Clark : ROYs. Both in the Country genre.
38. Beliefs : ISMs
40. WWII vet, say : EX GI
42. Synthesizer pioneer : MOOG
44. Room in una casa : SALA. Spanish
45. Conclude by : END AT
48. Stomach ailments : ULCERS
50. Lentil or pea : LEGUME
51. Aqua __: aftershave brand : VELVA
52. Firefighter Red : ADAIR. Famous for snuffing out oil rig fires. The John Wayne movie, "Hellfighters"(1968), was based loosely on the life of Red Adair.
53. South American range : ANDES
54. Pays, as the bill : FOOTS
55. Radii-paralleling bones : ULNAE. (elbow to the wrist)
59. Skunk's defense : ODOR
60. Fairy tale fiend : OGRE
61. Eye on the sly : PEEK. The last of today's alliterations.
63. Hawaii's Mauna __ : LOA
65. Terrible : BAD
If you've got the time, hang on.
Note from C.C.:
I'd like to share with you a few moving pictures from the Air Force retirement ceremony of Tom, Jazzbumpa's stepson. Jazzbumpa and his wife Gloria drove to Florida and attended the ceremony on March 21, 2014. Please click here for a couple more. Tom was deployed to Afghanistan a few times.
Entrance of the Color Guard